How to Tame Your Dragon

LoneDigger

Torin smiled as he laid by his side. He was happy for the offer but at the same time he didn't want to get his hopes up. "Are you sure? If you go with me I'm going to think you've decided not to leave... and I know you really do want to leave. I don't want you to resent me for keeping you here."

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LoneDigger

• StarGazer

"I suppose I could stay here... For awhile longer. You said you need to move anyway, yes? Well, I'll help you with that and once you're settled I'll be on my way."

Torin perked up when he said yes, but his mood fell when he said he would leave after he moved. He had lost his appetite knowing the dragon would soon leave him. "If that's what you want..." he spoke sadly, his voice trailed off as he moved away.

Even though he wasn't hungry he knew he should eat so he took a bowl and scooped out some soup with a ladle. He sat with his back turned and slowly ate the soup, finding it hard to stomach the stuff.

"What's wrong? It's all to your advantage..."

The dragon tried to explain, he was positive that once and it was only a matter of time, when he accidentally ate his horse in a fit of hunger or burned his home down to ashes then Torin would be grateful to be rid of him.

"I'll miss you when you leave... it's nice having someone to talk to" Torin mumbled as he nibbled on his food. After a minute he set the bowl aside. Over half was left but he couldn't force himself to eat anymore. With each bite his throat tightened. He was determined not to cry this time.

"We uh... we better get going." He stood and awkwardly gathered the meat in sacks before walking out to get the horse.

"Why don't you talk to your pretty mare? She's a very good listener..."

Alphonsus muttered as he took the remaining food and downed it out of habit. Leaving food around would attract pests and he couldn't stand any more of that.

He helped Torin with loading up the horse, though he had never done so before so more or less just ended up watching him.

"I can't talk to her like you can. You said she tells you stories right? Well she can't tell me anything. Talking to her is just like talking to a tree. I can talk and talk all I want but I will never get a response back. I mean... I can understand her to some extent like body language and stuff, but it's not the same as being able to have a conversation." Once all the meat was loaded on the horse, Torin took the horse by the reins and began the long walk to town.

"Don't worry about it. Once you're gone it won't matter to you anyway. Besides... I was alone before and did just fine. I will be fine again when you leave." Those words hurt to say. He knew it wasn't the truth, but he didn't want to say anymore hurtful things towards Alphonsus.

"That's the spirit~"

Alphonsus hummed, obviously to how upset that Torin was actually about him leaving. He thought everything was all fine and dandy. Problem solved, right? He didn't like walking back there, but he didn't want to be alone either for some reason.

Torin walked slower than usual because of how sad he was at the thought of Alphonsus leaving. Maybe he c ould postpone moving to keep him around a while longer. Yeah right, like that would actually work. He was going to leave no mater what he did or said. It was only a matter of time.

He walked in silence the rest of the way. When they reached the market, he headed for the butcher to sell the meat. As they walked through town, some people were staring. Perhaps they recognized Alphonsus as the beast the old man had been yelling about in the market not so long ago. "Stay close to me." He muttered. There were some murmurs in the crowd and from what he could gather, the old man wasn't too happy about the price he had paid for the dragon. There was likely to be trouble.

Alphonsus didn't like all the attention, it only reminded him of his time chained down and being displayed at this same place thinking only the worst would happen. It made him incredibly uneasy.

Torin got the money for the meat and gave it to the butcher. Just when he thought they would make it out without seeing that old man, he showed up.

"You!" The old man shouted at the top of his lungs. "You cheated me out of my money! You know very well that monster is worth two or even three times what you paid me!"

The young man groaned inwardly. This was not going to be good. "Look old man. I paid you fair and square. You accepted my cash so just beat it. I have no time to play around with you." He hoped if he sounded confident the old man would leave him alone, but no such luck.

The old man grabbed his arm. "You haven't paid me nearly what you're going to. That or you return the beast to me. He's rightfully mine. I didn't go hunting him down in the forest days on end just to get paid what you gave me. That alone didn't even cover the supplies I used up hunting this animal. You owe me a lot more than that."

Alphonsus bristled at the sight and even the scent of the old man. He'd never forget his presence. How could he? The guy had spent weeks trying to capture him and in the end he won the fight. The dragon admitted his defeat to the elder, but the one thing he would not submit to was him being cruel to Torin because of it.

With a surprising force for such a casual push, Alphonsus stepped between the pair with a hiss.

"Don't even try to touch him again."

The old man staggered backwards, managing to steady himself. "You..." He turned his attention to the dragon. "You should be kept in chains you monster!" Suddenly he pulled out a dagger. "Or maybe I should just cut you to peaces. Your flesh is soft now, but you are a dragon, a beast, a monster. And I captured you. I am your rightful owner. I came to get what's mine, the money or you. Either way I'm not walking out of here empty handed." He took two steps forward turning his attention back to Torin. "You better give me what I came for before someone gets hurt and it ain't gonna be me."

This wasn't turning out so good. The crowd of onlookers had backed away when the old man pulled the knife. This told Torin the man was not going to back down. Still, he wanted to handle things peacefully. He placed a hand on Alphonsus's shoulder muttering. "Please calm down. I can handle this so don't get involved."

He slowly stepped past him and held out the money from the sale of the deer. "This is what you came for, right? Money? Well this is all I have so just take it and go. You know very well you don't want him back. You can't handle him so just take the money and leave."

Hopefully the old man would take his offer and leave. He would hate for this to end in violence, but no such luck. The old man greedily eyed Torin's horse as he snatched the money from his hand. "I'll take this... and the horse. This monster killed mine when I was hunting him down. I want it replaced. You give me the horse and we're even."

Alphonsus hated to be told off when he was only trying to defend Torin, but he did have more respect for him than even the old man who had defeated him so he growled out, but stayed out of it. Looking pissed, but still behaving until the old man asked for the mare as part of the deal.

"You can't!"

He spoke out, not wanting her to be in his hands. His previous horse had been murdered by his hands -or rather claws- but the poor beast welcomed death after being pressed on such a harsh journey the animal would have likely died anyway from fatigue.

"No deal. The horse is mine and I will not part with her. Honestly you don't even deserve the money because you agreed to the price I already paid, but I hate violence so just take it and leave." Torin hoped that if he staid firm with the man that he would leave them in peace however this was not the case.

The old man stepped closer and held a knife to Torin's throat. "You've tested my patients boy." He spat. "Now you'll give me both animals before I take your life." He pressed the knife more firmly, drawing blood.

Torin gulped. He was trembling and all the color had vanished from his face. "I t-t-take it back. Alphonsus... help."

Human flesh was so useless, it so thin... like paper. The scent of blood seemed to send a chill through both mare and dragon as Alphonsus slowly lifted up his hands in defeat. He carefully took the reigns of the horse and walked them both over to the old man's side.

"If we go with you you'll leave him alone and never speak of this again. You don't know him. The dragon you sold? Never happened. He was always your's."

The old man smirked, an evil gleam in his eye. "Now that's more like it. Looks like you know who your true master is." He pulled the dagger back. "I'm keeping the money too. Don't you dare try to follow us." he said to torin before pulling out some chains, placing them on each of the dragon's wrists. "Now you come with me." He pulled on the chains sharply to make him follow.

"No you can't!" Torin looked at Alphonsus desperately. "Don't go with him! I don't want you to go! Fight back... please. Do what you have to, but don't leave." he pleaded as he watched helplessly wishing he was stronger so he could have protected them.

"... I already told you I was never your's."

Was the dragon cold response to Torin's pleas, but it was only in hoping that the other would not miss him if he acted like a bitch. Plus the old man needed to believe that. For now...

He turned away from the other and followed the old man obediently.

"But you don't belong to him either. You don't have to do what he says." Torin whimpered pitifully but didn't attempt to follow.

The old man drug the dragon and horse all the way back to his home on the outskirts of town. He tied the horse tightly to a post so she couldn't even lower her head to eat the grass at her feet. Then he brought Alphonsus to a small cage with barely enough room for him to lay down. "Get in there you beast while I decide what I'm going to do with you." He demanded before kicking him in the rear to force him into the small cage.

"I could have walked in without a swift kick to the ass, thank you very much..."

Alphonsus muttered with a growl as he rubbed his backside before being forced to curl into the small space just to fit.

The only advantage was how much better it was going to feel when he made his break and brutally murdered the old bastard

"I will treat you anyway I want." The old man sneered as he shut and locked the cage door. "And you better behave when the buyer comes or else I'll do a lot worse to you.

The greedy guy had already arranged for a buyer the second he heard the dragon came back to town. He wasn't going to miss a chance to sell him a second time. It was going to make him rich.

A few hours later a rich gentleman arrived and the old mans demeanor changed completely. He was actually being nice, but that was all an act to get the best price he could from him. "Right his way kind sir. I have the dragon right here, but don't let him fool you. He's disguised himself to look human."

The gentleman looked him once over. "Let him out of the cage. I want a good look at him."

"Yes yes, of course." The old man unlocked the cage and pulled at his chains. "Up you filthy beast."

Alphonsus fought back a hiss as he was yanked out of the cramped space, giving him no time to gain his legs and he ended up falling ungracefully at the feet of both men with a groan as he stumbled to get back up again.

This was all so below him as a proud creature, but he wasn't a reckless beast. He knew biding his time would prove best results.

"This is the magnificent beast you had to show me? Looks rather pitiful. I think our business is done here." The gentleman was clearly not impressed and turned to leave.

"Wait! The old man grabbed the dragons hair and pulled it from his face being none to gentle. "Look at these green and golden eyes! He is a dragon I tell you!" He turned to Alphonsus and snarled at him. Show him your teeth monster." He looked hack to the gentleman. He has extra long canines made for ripping the flesh of his victims. You'll see."

The gentleman was intrigued by what he heard and turned back. "He does indeed have a very interesting eye color..."

"My eyes... Oh, they might seem interesting. But it's just a disease."

The dragon tried not to smirk, he was going to make this much harder for the mean old fucker for pulling his hair like that. He did not appreciate being man handled even if he seemed calm enough he was swallowing back his own rage.

"No it isn't! You are a bloodthirsty dragon! Show him your teeth!" The old man growled and kicked him in the gut, becoming more aggravated by the second.

"Hnn... I don't want a diseased individual. Even if I did believe your story about him being a dragon." The gentleman shook his head and walked back to his horse and carriage.

"Wait! He's lying! Please reconsider." The old man followed after the gentleman and dropped the dragons chains in the process. "I'm sure we can come to an understanding!" He yelled as he watched the carriage leave.

• Saga locked this topic