How to Tame Your Dragon

LoneDigger

"No... I don't think you should be handling the knife right now. You might get hurt again..."

The dragon followed him over and again tried to take over the task, this time not letting Torin even help at all as he felt it was too dangerous.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LoneDigger

• StarGazer

Torin gave an exasperated sigh. "I am not that clumsy. I can complete a task as simple as preparing supper." He was feeling rather agitated and snapped at him. "It's all your fault I fell out of the tree in the first place!"

He hadn't meant to snap, but felt rather humiliated and useless not even being able to cook in his own home. With nothing to do, he layed by the fire and moped.

Alphonsus merely snorted. "Of course, of course... You just settle down while I make dinner not because you couldn't, but because I owe you."

Maybe that would calm him down as he cut up the deer, it wasn't like he was even used to cooking. He had no idea how to use spices or anything. But at least he had the meat separated neatly in various cuts.

"Hey, I could use your expertise now. How would you prepare and cook this? Um... Don't mind about the others, I will eat the scraps raw preferably."

Sora seemed to relax a little. He watched in silence until asked a question. "Just sprinkle a little spice from the container to your left. I blended it myself for cooking meats... and you don't have to eat the scraps. There's so much meat here that I couldn't possibly eat it all. In the morning we'll go into town to sell the rest because I have no way of preserving it."

He sat up and leaned his back against the wall of the cabin. "When you're done there, bring it over here to cook it." He picked up a pan with his left hand and placed it on a stand over the fire so it could begin warming.

"Hm... Why don't you smoke it?"

The dragon offered as he took a pinch of spice and carefully let it fall over the meat, he left his own cuts unseasoned.

He let Torin take over from there and sat patiently by the fire. Humans were strange...

"I don't know how to smoke meat. I've had to learn pretty much everything on my own since my parents passed away." He had a sad expression on his face when mentioning his parents.

The meat looked browned enough on one side so he used some tongs to flip it over. He watched as the meat sizzled over the fire as the flames danced around it, making sure it wouldn't burn.

When it was finally finished, he carefully slid the meat off the pan and onto a plate. Steam was rising off the top so he set it aside to let it cool.

"The War took them away, I assume? Either way I'm sorry, but you are surviving... They would be proud."

The dragon murmured, he could teach Torin how later, it seemed the other was concentrating on not burning the meat.

Torin nodded in response. His food was ready to eat so he took a bite to keep from having to talk about the death of his family. It was just too painful.

He ate in silence and after a bit, he looked at the dragon. "Do you really prefer to eat your food raw? It has more more flavor when you cook it and add spices."

"Actually that's where you are wrong, it had more flavor raw and it just melts when you chew it."

He stated very matter of factly as he plucked up a small piece of the meat and popped it in his mouth with a satisfied groan

Torin scrunched as his face as he watched. "Eww no way. It's all slimy" He shook his head, not understanding how anyone could like that. "It's so weird seeing you eat that. I mean, I see dogs and other animals eating it without thinking anything of it and I know you're a dragon... but you look human."

He turned his attention to the fire and stoked it a bit before laying down. He was careful not to lay on his right side because of the pain. In truth he really wanted to look and see just how bad it was, but he didn't want Alphonsus to watch.

"It's not slimey... It's delicious raw and cooking ruins it."

Alphonsus muttered, rolling his eyes slightly as he defiantly ate another piece, chewing it a bit obnoxiously as if just to prove how great it was and that Torin was missing out.

"I'm not, not matter how much I look it you already know what I really am."

He added in more softly before wandering back over to the fire, Torin was already lying in his favorite spot so he settled next to the other and sniffed slightly, he could smell the bruising. But he didn't say anything yet

Torin groaned slightly as he shifted positions, this time laying in front of him this time with his head against his chest. Listening to the others heart beat was rather comforting and helped him to relax.

"I know you are." He mumbled. "In a way I'm glad you aren't human. You are very strong and kind. I feel safe when I'm with you... like you would never hurt me." He yawned, his eyes slowly closing.

He tried to sleep, but found it hard to because of his aching body. As he shifted to find a more comfortable position, his shirt lifted a little and relieved part of the nasty bruise located just above his hip. He didn't notice or else he would have quickly hidden it from sight.

"How do you know that I would never hurt you? You don't even know me, just because you bought me doesn't mean we are friends... You don't get it at all, do you? Funny because you don't look like the gullible type... Guess loosing Ma and Dad really made you weaker after all."

Of course non of that was spoken out loud, it simply echoed inside the creature's mind as a thought. Though on the outside the dragon was rumbling softly at the weight against his chest. But he could feel that Torin was restless and it was impossible to get comfortable with such a nasty mark, so the dragon took it upon himself to place a cool hand over the bruise and rubbed it, at first the action brought a sharp pain that quickly subsided into something more soothing. It was a strange touch, but it worked. As if there was something more to it than what met the eye.

Torin took in a sharp breath when he felt the cool hand touch him. "No don..." His voice trailed off when the pain lessened. It almost felt nice in a way. A contented sigh left his lips. "I don't know what exactly you're doing but please don't stop." he mumbled sleepily.

Soon sleep came and his breathing slowed. While he slept, he had nice dreams for a change. Usually he was haunted by the memories of the past, but that night he dreamed of flying. To be specific, he wasn't the one flying, but rather he was on the back of a magnificent dragon with wings so large they seemed to stretch across the sky. It was such a nice dream that he wished he would never wake up.

The dragon continued to press and smooth his palm and fingertips over the bruising until he eventually lulled himself to sleep as well, though it was not deep enough to have any dreams. He was half awake, alert to keep guard over the den since the other had mentioned bandits or something. Soon as he was recovered and figured out how to change back then he would be gone.

Torin was sound asleep, completely oblivious to his surroundings.

Meanwhile in the pasture, the horse whinnied and paced back and forth along the fence line. Something had her spooked. There was rustling in the leaves and the occasional sound of footsteps.

Suddenly a rope shot out of the dark at the horse and a loop slipped over her head and around her neck. She reared up and whinnied frantically as a second rope came from the other direction. Both ropes were then pulled tight which brought the horse back to the ground. She was caught.

Alphonsus cracked open an emerald eye that seemed to glow almost like a light itself in the darkness of the cabin.

The beautiful mare was distressed, and he would not have any harm coming to such a kind beast. She had carried him along even when she knew he was dangerous. Why she trusted him he still didn't know, but he was going to let her down.

Carefully sitting up without disturbing Torin's sleep he crept outside to investigate.

Two men crept towards the horse from the end of each rope. Each of them wore a mask to hide their identity in case they were discovered.

"We got us a good catch this time. This horse is a beauty." One man said to the other in not so correct english. He clearly hadn't completed all of his schooling.

"Yeah, we can sell this horse at top price." The other said greedily, already counting the money in his head. "We should go to the house next. I heard it's just one man living out here alone. He won't put up much of a fight especially if we catch him by surprise."

Alphonsus padded over quietly, careful not to let himself be seen or heard by the two thieves. How dare they come here and try to take away the poor pretty mare! And if they thought they were going to make Torin miserable too they were about to learn that he was the only one allowed that privilege around here.

The dragon flexed his arms carefully, willing his nails to grow longer and his teeth. He couldn't feel if they had changed or not but it was now or never, he moved so swiftly without making a sound. Just a quick slicing through first the air and then the flesh of two necks.

The ropes fell slack as both of the men fell to the ground. They were still alive, but not for long. Alphonsus sliced through major arteries in each of their necks and they were beginning to bleed out. One of the men clasped his neck in desperate attempt to stop the bleeding and the other was flailing around in pain.

The horse shook her head and stomped all over the two intruders until they were dead and then trotted off to the other side of the field with the ropes still dangling from her neck.

Alphonsus wiped the blood off on his pants before hurrying over to go make sure that his friend was okay. He approached the mare slowly, speaking to her in the tongue of animals so she could understand him.

"Easy now... You're okay, they're gone now. It's just me..."

He spoke as he slowly approached her with an out stretched hand, waiting for her to settle before patting her neck side and eventually even leaning against the horse, kind of like he was hugging her, but she was still too big.

After that exchange he went to dispose of the bodies, no need to scare Torin with unnecessary violence.

A log in the fire fell and it startled Torin awake. He looked at the fire and added another log so it would last the rest of the night. He turned to lay back down and suddenly realized that Alphonsus was no longer beside him. He scanned the cabin just in case to make sure he was really gone.

"A-alphonsus! Alphonsus where are you?!" He called for him and quickly arose, running out the door into the cold night air. He ran around the cabin in search of the dragon, but couldn't find him so he ran into the woods. "Don't leave me please!" He yelled as he ran, thinking that he had been abandoned. He was so focused on trying to find the dragon that he wasn't watching where he was going and ran right into a patch of thorns, causing small scratches all over his body where the thorns dug into his skin. He payed no attention though. All he cared about was finding him.

Alphonsus meanwhile was deep in the forest disposing of the two bodies, too bad Torin fed him so good or else this would have been a lot quicker, but no... He was too full and they probably tasted bad. The murder of crows was back, starting to make a ruckus of excitement at the large meal they would be feasting on.

Just as he was throwing the second body down the cliffside to his it down in the rocks below he thought he heard his name being called.

"Torin...?"

He muttered before swiftly retracing his steps back through the forest to find the male.

Torin tripped over a root that was sticking out of the ground and fell flat on his face. He groaned as he pushed himself back up and continued on through the forest. He couldn't give up his search for the dragon.

"Alphonsus!" He shouted his name, cupping his hands around his mouth to make the sound travel further. All this yelling was beginning to make his throat hurt, but he didn't care. He knew he wasn't thinking clearly. After all, he barely knew the dragon, but for some reason he couldn't explain, he had grown quite attached.

Logically he should have given up the search, but he wasn't thinking logically.

The dragon didn't know why he felt compelled to respond to his name being called out, but it was just drawing him back in like some instinct. Or even more humiliatingly like a dog when it's master called.

It didn't take him long to find Torin, and when he did the worry hit him at the faint scent of blood. He ran his hands back over the male to feel for injuries. Their we're the small cuts and fresh bruises. Torin needed to be more careful!

• Saga locked this topic