How to Tame Your Dragon

LoneDigger

"I can't go back there."

Alphonsus shook his head stubbornly, and then suddenly ran over to the fence as a distraction.

"Um... Someone has to stay here and keep an eye on her! She was nearly stolen last night and it's not happening again!"

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LoneDigger

• StarGazer

Torin frowned and walked outside. He put his hands on his hips. "Is that what you were doing last night? Scarring off thieves? You should have just told me."

He stepped closer. "If you want to watch the horse so bad, you'll have to come into town with me anyway because she's coming too. How else do you think I'm going to get all that meat to town? I can't possibly carry that much on my own."

He wondered why the dragon was acting so strange all of a sudden. Then it dawned on him. "You're scared, aren't you? No one will dare try to take you from me if that's what you're worried about. In their eyes, you belong to me now." He went back to the cottage a moment before returning with a collar. "Here, put this on. It's proof of ownership. I haven't made you wear it because I don't think of myself as owning you, but it will deter any greedy onlookers."

"I... I don't want to go back there..."

He muttered standing beside the mare and hiding his face in her neck as he leaned into her, she was a kind beast and tolerated his sappiness, especially since he may have given her extras early and horses were great at keeping secrets.

The dragon glanced back up when Torin returned and gave a disgusted hiss at the sight of a collar. He was not his pet!

But once he explained the reasoning Alphonsus settled down and decided it would be the only way...

He allowed him to help put it in, and immediately he regretted everything, it was very distracting and he hated the way it felt. Especially against the sensitive skin of his neck.

He didn't dare complain however, and instead took upon being the stoic creature that he was.

Torin put the collar on very loosely to help minimize how much it would bother him. "I'm sorry. If there was any other way, I would do it." He hugged the dragon, genuinely feeling sorry for him. Just then he came up with an idea. "Would you like to move tomorrow? You said yourself, someone tried to steal the horse. I'm sure they will try it again so it's not safe here anymore. We can move somewhere that no one knows us so you'll never have to wear that thing again. You look human anyway. I'm sure no one would suspect what you really are." He smiled, thinking it was a really good idea.

It had been a while since he last moved and he was beginning to get a little restless anyway. He never could stay in one place too long ever since his family died.

Alphonsus growled when he was hugged, but it was just because he was still being pissy over having to wear a collar. Of course he appreciated the gesture, but wasn't about to let that show so easily.

"I was going to be leaving soon anyway, so I don't see why not..."

He hummed thoughtfully. Though traveling with a human might just slow him down a lot. And he didn't want to become attached. This was a temporary arrangement only.

Torin heard the growl and was worried that Alphonsus was mad at him. He took a step back and looked up at him. "If you really hate the collar, you don't have to come along. You can just take it off and stay here... I just thought it would be nice to spend the day together and I wanted to buy you something to thank you for catching the deer. I wouldn't have the meat if it weren't for you after all."

He heaved a sigh and turned away. "I knew you still wanted to leave, but I didn't think you hated me so much that you would growl at me." he mumbled as he walked away from the dragon. He knew it was only a matter of time before he would be left alone once more and that made him sad. His chest already ached with the thought that he would abandon him.

Normally the dragon wouldn't have even been the slightest bit fazed over hurting someone's feelings, in fact he just thought his kind was incapable of such emotions, but suddenly when the other turned away from him there was this uncomfortable twing in his stomach.

Huh... must have been the meat. He wanted to believe it was just that, because suddenly having human emotions along with his body would have been more than he could have handled to comprehend.

"I didn't mean to... It was just..." He sighed not sure how to explain it. "...I never said I hated you."

Though like a typical dragon despite having just rejected the hug he was now giving the other a little squeeze with his arms since apparently that's what humans did when they felt bad about something they did wrong.

Sora halted in his tracks, but didn't look at him. Instead he stared at the ground because he was sure he would cry if he did and he didn't want to seem weak. "If you really don't hate me, why did you growl and why do you still want to leave me? I thought just maybe you finally decided to stay. You helped me hunt and fed my horse. You even chopped the firewood without me asking you to do that."

He didn't like that he was becoming so dependent on the dragon. If this kept up, he would be a total mess when the dragon finally decided to leave. "If you're just going to leave anyway, stop being so nice to me. I'll misunderstand and rely on you more. Don't take this the wrong way. I don't want to leave, but if you have already decided to leave, I would rather you do it sooner than later. I... I'm becoming attached."

"... It was your fault for being nice to me first."

The dragon quipped a bit insensitive, but then it was followed by a soft rumble when he catch the scent of tears, or just the hints of ones. He had upset Torin, and that was never his intention. He just wanted them to be neutral so he could leave without any hassle or ties. But it seemed he had inadvertently done so already

Torin snapped when he heard those words. "Well I'm sorry for being nice then! Didn't realize being nice was a bad thing." He turned to alphonsus and clumsily took off the collar before throwing it to the ground. His whole face was red and he was sniffling to hold back the tears. "There. Now you can go. Just leave and never come back. I wouldn't have fallen out of the tree if it weren't for you. I never would have hurt myself in the thorns or tripped if I hadn't been searching for you. You're right. You do bring nothing but trouble." he spat those words out before running into the cabin.

He instantly regretted saying those words, but he couldn't take them back no matter how much he wanted to and he really did want to. The tears he was trying to hold back could no longer be contained and came flowing down his cheeks like two mini waterfalls. Normally he wouldn't cry. He always held it in, but this time he just couldn't stop no matter how many times he wiped away the tears.

Now here it was, his cue. The perfect moment to leave. He had returned the favor by helping, but left things on a bad note so that the other would not miss him. It was just what he had been waiting for, but now that the chance was here nothing was going as planned as far as his emotions were concerned, instead of feeling accomplished or relieved he felt a pit growing inside his stomach that was guilt, but he didn't know the word. It was such an uncomfortable feeling he'd never be able to focus on changing back and leaving. He had to go fix things first. With a glance at the discarded collar he picked it up and fixed it back around his neck before walking back into the cabin. He could already hear the cries, he must have really done it to make such a tough little human break like that. And he had no idea how to make things better, he just slunk into the cabin much like a dog after doing something bad. He didn't want to upset him worse and was almost quite literally tip toeing on ice.

Torin had his back towards the door and hadn't heard him come in. He sat huddled next to the fire, furiously wiping at his face as the tears had continued to fall. His whole body was shaking as he sobbed quietly. He didn't want Alphonsus to leave, but he had said such horrible things. The dragon must be long gone by now. How had things become so messed up? Now he had no way of apologizing or making things right. All he could do was sit by the fire wallowing in self pity.

Alphonsus found the bone he had been given, and to the dragon it was the first gift from Torin -besides his freedom- so he picked it up and dropped it by the other, trying to cheer him up the only way he knew how before sitting next to him. But not too close as he stared at the fire quietly.

Torin took in a sharp breath when he saw the bone fall at his feet. He looked up with blurry tear filled eyes. The first thing he noticed was that the collar was around his neck. Like magic the tears seemed to stop.

He threw himself at the other male, hugging him tightly. "I'm s-sorry. I'm sorry I said those things to you. I didn't mean them." he sniffled as he clung to him so tightly that his knuckles turned white. "Please don't hate me. I was wrong. It was all my fault. I'm sorry."

Now he was starting to understand why humans were so touchy, flesh was such a receptive organ and well... It felt nice to be close. Having scales may protect you from the world, but they also keep out the nicer things too, making a dragon hard and cold. But in a human body he felt true warmth, and not the kind from breathing fire. This was different.

He held onto Torin lightly, leaning his head against his shoulder and trying to nuzzle away some of the tears, as if making them disappear would mean he couldn't cry again.

Torin relaxed a bit and his grip on Alphonsus loosened. The nuzzling feeling felt quite nice and seemed to calm him. He wanted to ask if he was here to stay, but he was too scared of what the answer might be so he just kept quiet.

All that crying had worn him out. Slowly his eyes closed as he rested on the dragon's lap. His breathing was still a bit staggered, but he had ceased all crying.

Humans were such fragile creatures, and honestly he was afraid that he must have damaged Torin in some way to be making him cry and gasping for breath, it couldn't be good for him...

Normally being so close and on his lap especially would have earned a growl and a push right off, but right now he was willing to show vulnerability if it meant he could make him feel better.

Remembering how the other was kind to him when he first arrived, he copied the action of carding his hands through the other's hair, slowly getting the hang of it until the gesture felt natural and genuine.

"Mmm..." Torin gave a small smile. The feeling of fingers running through his hair felt rather nice. Soon his heart beat slowed down and his breathing went back to normal.

It was quite surprising to him that he hadn't been pushed off yet. He knew the dragon didn't usually like being quite so close so he would take advantage of the circumstances as long as he could. He was enjoying the closeness and didn't want it to end.

Alphonsus was growing sleepy, it could have been the long day so far, or maybe the combined warmth from holding Torin and being next to the fire. Whatever it was, he found himself carefully easing them both down on the blanket, not letting go of the other as he adjusted them both so that they were facing the flames as he wrapped his limbs a little tighter around Torin. He didn't know it, but basically he was being the big spoon.

Torin blushed deeply when Alphonsus moved them into a position that was meant for lovers. Could it be he didn't realize what he was doing? That had to be it. There was no way this aloof dragon would ever make such a gesture towards him if he knew what it implied. Even so his heartbeat quickened. Should he tell him? In the end he decided not to. After he got over the initial shock, he found this position quite nice and he knew it would probably end if he said anything. He was sure the dragon didn't think of him in that way. He was a dragon after all. They couldn't possibly love someone, could they?

Alphonsus was unaware of the implications this position had in humans, to him this was just being nice. He was keeping the other's back covered for warmth, and allowing the other to face the fire so he could get the most of the heat.

If anything at all, this was how a dragon would sleep if he had treasure. With it safely nestled against his belly. It was a bit of a stereotype, but he'd be guilty if he didn't say that his cave had it's share of shinies. And right now Torin was the most precious thing he had... even if it wasn't as nice as gold.

Even though it was only lunch time, Torin was exhausted. The combination of not getting enough sleep the night before and crying as hard as he did thoroughly wore him out. His breathing slowed as he was lulled to sleep by the warmth of the fire and the comfort of being snuggled against Alphonsus. It was quite a relaxing feeling.

Before long evening rolled around and he woke to hear his stomach growling. He had forgotten to eat breakfast and fell asleep before he could fix lunch.

When he tried to get up, he found it quite difficult. The dragon's grip was a strong one and he found that he was pinned in place. "Let go. I need to get up." He squirmed a bit, turning his head to see if the other was even awake.

Alphonsus reluctantly let go of his vice grip on Torin so that he could rise up again, but he didn't see why since it was perfectly contenting down here by the fireside. Dragons actually didn't need to eat much, especially a dragon who now was living a lazy lifestyle compared to flying for hundreds of miles in a day.

Torin sat up when he felt his arms loosen. "Are you hungry? I'm eating and then I plan on going into town... You don't have to go if you really don't want to. I don't want to force you to do anything you don't like." He rose to his feet and took some meat, chopping it into small squares. He placed them into a pot and then grabbed some root vegetables, cutting them up in a similar fashion. Afterwords he added spices and water before hanging the pot over the fire to cook.

Feeling a little cold, he laid down in .front of alphonsus once more and snuggled close to him while he waited for his food to get done.

"Well, I don't want you to have to go alone..."

Alphonsus muttered as he allowed Torin to cuddle back up to him again while he waited for his lunch to finish cooking. It was honestly kind of a nice scent... even if he did prefer his meat fresh and raw. But laying next to him was something really new. It was good way to stay warm for one thing.

• Saga locked this topic