Yaoi Reading Challenge Discussion Thread | edition 2018

Saga

Do you think the challenge should be limited to BL only?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
and
for explaining

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saga

• batista

• auser

• Riki

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you so much for a recommendation

:D so far, the only non-shifter omegaverse I enjoyed was Slow Heat, but I would definitely like to find another author/series that would be enjoyable.. I'll search for them now..^^

I have a question too. I know that the books from the same series cannot use since they share the same title and storyline, but how about
books in the same series but not the same storyline or has anything to do with other books in the series at all ? For example:
All 12 books in this series have nothing to do with each other at all. The author just used zodiac theme to name the books.

Book 3 "Gemini: The Wicked Things " is Fantasy / Fairy Tale / Witchcraft / Magic

but book 9 "Sagittarius : Mr. November " is about Sport

Also there are books that listed under the same series, but different storyline and different Authors for each volume such as :

and
which contained 4 book from different Author.

I do a lot of upload and re-upload lately and there are many series like this, so I wonder are books from these series also against the same title rules or not.

Thank you ,

R

check out AIDEN BATES and Austin Bates. All their work are in Omegaverse without shifting ;P

uu3P6EA.png

What a hard question.

If we put it like a manga compilation of many stories that have nothing to do with each other [like oneshots], but on the bigger scale of it [since they are novels]...isn't it like asking me if it's okay to read all these oneshots and fit them all into categories?

You would probably say "it's not it", but this is how I see it.

As for the case with different authors, it's the same with manga anthologies. '__'

Tsk, I know that manga and novels are a different thing. But if I had to review them with that analogue above - it would be a firm 'no'. You can't use novels in that way.

I don't know.

aQnDqQl.jpg

Thank you

for the clarification.:Red_fox: It is confusing. I didn't think about it that way before because both manga and novels anthologies are mostly short stories in the same volume. We also have many novel anthologies like Fairytales Slashed Anthology [1-8], Don't read in the closet Anthology [1-4], Love Is Always Write Anthology [1-10], Love Has No Boundaries Anthology [1-5], Love's Landscapes Anthology [1-17], so I am not sure about full-length separated novels under the same series, so I want to confirm with you. Thank again the answer Saga :D

Dear @

I've started the challenge couple of weeks back and saw only the manga challenge. And now, upon coming back in here, I was surprised (like seriously surprised) to find out that there is also the novel challenge. So I have some questions regarding that:

1. If I want to participate in the novel challenge, do I still need to post a signup form? (just like I did on the manga challenge)?

2. I'm almost done with my manga challenge (yay!) but have not actually started the novel challenge (... I was planning to start after the manga). So my question is, do I still need to complete the novel challenge before turning in (like posting) my completed manga challenge on the main thread?

Anyways, thanks for the help in advance.

Thank you
for the clarification.:Red_fox: It is confusing. I didn't think about it that way before because both manga and novels anthologies are mostly short stories in the same volume. We also have many novel anthologies like Fairytales Slashed Anthology [1-8], Don't read in the closet Anthology [1-4], Love Is Always Write Anthology [1-10], Love Has No Boundaries Anthology [1-5], Love's Landscapes Anthology [1-17], so I am not sure about full-length separated novels under the same series, so I want to confirm with you. Thank again the answer Saga
:D

Nah, to be honest I am also unsure, hence I made that anologue with manga. I opened that thread, so we can shape up and make the challenge better. As it is its very first edition, there are many things that are missing or are confusing due to not being 'thought up'. But I guess everything comes with experience. ' v '

So, if you have suggestions [not only questions], shout them my way. This is how we are going to perfect the challenge - through ideas.

Dear @

I've started the challenge couple of weeks back and saw only the manga challenge. And now, upon coming back in here, I was surprised (like seriously surprised) to find out that there is also the novel challenge. So I have some questions regarding that:

1. If I want to participate in the novel challenge, do I still need to post a signup form? (just like I did on the manga challenge)?

2. I'm almost done with my manga challenge (yay!) but have not actually started the novel challenge (... I was planning to start after the manga). So my question is, do I still need to complete the novel challenge before turning in (like posting) my completed manga challenge on the main thread?

Anyways, thanks for the help in advance.

Heyo!

Yes, we added a section for novel readers, too.

But we allowed manga readers [as well novel readers] to take part in both; that way you are rewarded accordingly.

As for your sign-up form, I can edit your sign-up form from 'manga' to 'both'. As we changed a bit the sign-up form, in case you noticed. We enlist which part we are going after - either manga/novel or both.

Soooo, if you want I can change the 'manga type' to 'both'. I think I started repeating myself XD.

As for your manga list, great to hear it! You can post it as soon as May 1st knocks on the door. And continue with your novel list. Or, you can post both of them at the same time '__' As you decide.

Good luck on the novel hunt, in case you join the book challenge.

Hi

I haven't read the

] yet, and wanted to know if I can use if for #6 (novel). The first book Hell & High Water in the serie has been made into a korean webtoon.

Here is the link to the korean site:

Hi

I haven't read the

] yet, and wanted to know if I can use if for #6 (novel). The first book Hell & High Water in the serie has been made into a korean webtoon.

Here is the link to the korean site:

Yeah, it qualifies even if it's a webtoon. Still counts!

Hello! I'm plaining to join the manga challenge, seems very fun, but I got a couple questions before I start:

1)Webtoons (like Blood Bank or What lies at the end) are considered manga?

2)Task 54 says to read a manga with a low rating at Bakaupdate, but what exactly is a lower rate? Lower than 7? Lower than 5? Even lower?

3)This sounds a little stupid but what's the diference between crossdress manga and trap manga?

4)Task 29 says to read a oneshot for 15 minutes max, it means I have to read the oneshot in less than 15 minutes, right?

Sorry for bother with all these questions and fo my bad english.

Hello! I'm plaining to join the manga challenge, seems very fun, but I got a couple questions before I start:

2)Task 54 says to read a manga with a low rating at Bakaupdate, but what exactly is a lower rate? Lower than 7? Lower than 5? Even lower?

3)This sounds a little stupid but what's the diference between crossdress manga and trap manga?

4)Task 29 says to read a oneshot for 15 minutes max, it means I have to read the oneshot in less than 15 minutes, right?

Hello and welcome to the challenge ^-^

1) I'm not sure about this one, so I'll leave it to someone else to explain.

2) Hm.. I think it's up to you to decide if it's low enough or not XD If I remember right, the one I read was 5 or a little less.

3) This is not stupid at all, some of us also got confused ;D You can search 'trap' in the thread ("Search Thread") and you'll see our questions and explanations about it. I hope it will help you :3

4) Yup, just a short oneshot.

And it's not a bother, don't apologise for it, this thread is exactly for that - questions, discussions, suggestions, etc., so you can write about anything related to this challenge. :3

Welcome to the challenge!

Hi again

For task 68 I have to read three manga and pick one of them I liked most, but I don't know if we are supposed to read all three manga in one day or one manga each day (a total of three days).

Hope you can clarify this for me :)

And another thing I wanted to know for task #68, is if I need to write down the other two manga titles I picked (note it in a spoiler).

And another thing I wanted to know for task #68, is if I need to write down the other two manga titles I picked (note it in a spoiler).

I don't really know but thought of writing the 3 I chose and colour the one I picked as 'best'.

Hi again

For task 68 I have to read three manga and pick one of them I liked most, but I don't know if we are supposed to read all three manga in one day or one manga each day (a total of three days).

Hope you can clarify this for me :)

No, you are not limited to reading them in one day. Some people might find it handy, that there is no limitation on that aspect.

As for the other question, whether you gotta write down the other two titles you picked - again, it's up to you. But, I guess it would be more stylish and rather cool to let people know what the other two titles were.

No, not exactly. Webtoon is considered something like an online comics.

I get the idea that both manga and webtoon tell some story through art, but they are considered different.

Besides, you will notice you have specific tasks with criteria "webtoons".

hi, again. i have q's & confused myself with these two tasks:

//manga challenge

task #11: Read a new ongoing manga title - i want to read ongoing manga that has only 1 chapter. is that okay?

task #42: Read a manga which was updated today - updated today as in updated today in YO & my time zone?

hope you can help clarify this for me. & thanks in advance!

and
thanks a lot for answer my question and clarify me! You are awesome!

About the task to read a yaoi hentai, it means I just have to read a super smut yaoi with zero (or almost zero) plot, right?

Thanks again!

can i pitch in my thoughts on the matter whether books under the same series can be put into different categories?

so, i think saga is right. bc the clear task requirement which is not from the same title/series regardless different plot/authors. but if that task can be eliminate, then what racheal suggest can be count in. since i saw this kind of situation in other book challenge i've entered before. some challenges allowed us to use different part (book 1, book 2) into different category even tho it's from the same series (as long as it fits the required task). this is for novels/full length books challenge mostly (short story & anthologies doesn't count)

thanks again, saga for creating this challenge for us. hope this challenge will continues.

Do you mean full-length Novels should count even if they are in the same series?

I actually didn't think about that lol the only reason I asked because the rule said

Each manga/novel title can be used only once within this year's challenge. That is to say, in your list - no repetition of titles.

Then I saw other member asked Saga If the books in the same series can be use in different assignments or not, and Saga did explain that "it cannot because same series is count as same title"

TBH, before I read Saga's explanation, I misunderstood too because not many manga use different name for each volume, so when you say one title cannot use for more than one assignment..it is very clear.

However, for novel, different name for each books in the series is more common and popular, very few use the same title for the whole series, so when the rule said "title", for novel, I think of the name of the book itself more than the series.

I think many members are confused too because I see some of them use the book in the same series for more than one assignments. Also I do upload a lot of books and I noticed that there are many types of series for novel, so I want to clarify with Saga again to make sure which one can and which one can't.

After read the explanation, I do understand Saga point of view about the series. I think it maybe easier to understand if we add the word "series" in the rules. [Each manga/novel title/series can be used only once within this year's challenge. That is to say, in your list - no repetition of titles. ] We will have to let Saga decide tho'

yeah, i encountered some books/novels challenges w that rules. specific task like "do not use same titles for other categories" means you cannot use, let's say book title Prince Gambit from Captive Prince series in 2 different categories. But you are allowed to use all 3 books in Captive Prince to fit in any tasks suitable.

Hi

Does this manga; Seishun Hanashinjuu qualify for the task #41, sports?

hi, again. i have q's & confused myself with these two tasks:

//manga challenge

task #11: Read a new ongoing manga title - i want to read ongoing manga that has only 1 chapter. is that okay?

task #42: Read a manga which was updated today - updated today as in updated today in YO & my time zone?

hope you can help clarify this for me. & thanks in advance!

can i pitch in my thoughts on the matter whether books under the same series can be put into different categories?

so, i think saga is right. bc the clear task requirement which is not from the same title/series regardless different plot/authors. but if that task can be eliminate, then what racheal suggest can be count in. since i saw this kind of situation in other book challenge i've entered before. some challenges allowed us to use different part (book 1, book 2) into different category even tho it's from the same series (as long as it fits the required task). this is for novels/full length books challenge mostly (short story & anthologies doesn't count)

thanks again, saga for creating this challenge for us. hope this challenge will continues.

Re Sure, it is fine.

Re Oh, I haven't clarified it. Well, yeah. Updated on YO is fine as well. Because when you think about it, it gets updated because scanlators updated. So, yeah. You can also use YO as your guide of 'updates'. Also, yes. Your time zone.

Re2

and
, hm. I guess I will add 'series' to the rule, then. I don't mean to be mean when I exclude 'series' but the point is to go around and have fun, like in a library - gathering all sorts of books. Think on it, when you enter a library, would you just stop before one single shelf and pick titles only from there? No, you wouldn't. Nonetheless, I will add the rules in a bit. I was also thinking that I will probably make two 'jury' teams. I will be with the manga jury, but will have to pick some novel-guru person to be the novell jury too. I haven't decided yet. Maybe once people start forwarding their turn-in forms, I will decide what to do with the two sorts of 'check-up'. XD

and
thanks a lot for answer my question and clarify me! You are awesome!

About the task to read a yaoi hentai, it means I just have to read a super smut yaoi with zero (or almost zero) plot, right?

Thanks again!

Re Yeah, hentai to your liking. Be it the art or the sex scenes, or whatever else is there to pick that hentai title for. XD

Hi

Does this manga; Seishun Hanashinjuu qualify for the task #41, sports?

Re Yup, it does. ' v '

Thank you so much

for updated the rule. Is it ok to tag all the BL Novel series participants about the details the rule about series ? I think there are some of them misunderstood and use the same series for different assignments already. >

Thank you so much
for updated the rule. Is it ok to tag all the BL Novel series participants about the details the rule about series ? I think there are some of them misunderstood and use the same series for different assignments already. >

Yeah, if you want - you can tag them yourself. If not, I will do it later tonight.

Typing from a tablet is hard.