Yaoi Reading Challenge Discussion Thread | edition 2018

Saga

Do you think the challenge should be limited to BL only?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saga

• batista

• auser

• Riki

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any yaoi manga with no smut/sex for task 25, or should I look for shounen ai?

xD Yeah, I think no sex/smut in the BL genre goes to 'shounen-ai'.

thank you so much for your reply

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
!

I don't judge you, maybe it came out weird when I said it because I am rather blunt in my replies even though I am trying to make it obvious I am not scary/angry or anything else. '_'

Oh It's ok, I am still scared, but then again I always have this problem with authority, so it's nothing personal about you. ;)

I do understand you want to see more novel players joining but I have to keep the balance between the two groups. I can't give more rewards to one group just because their task seemed a bit harder. Then why did I took off 20 titles of novel readers' shoulders? So I reward them more as well? (:

So, what you disagree about is not the points amount itself, as I understood, but the count of titles?

How many titles do you think it's fair to be given for 1 year, then?

Wow, yes, yes, you're right - I don't really care about the points at all, I don't collect them, I wrote about them is because I want more people to participate, and for some it would be a big motivation.

The real reason why I wrote here was because yesterday someone told me that they weren't sure they were going to participate in a Novel Challenge, because this task is much more time-consuming than the manga one, and the results (so ok, in this case - the points) are the same.

And yep, with this I agree - when I saw the number of manga titles before, my first thought was "ok, I could read it in a month, it's fine" (which, you told me, might seem easy for me, but not for everybody, I agree), but 50 BL novels seemed very intimidating even to me at first, because there are only 9 month (40 weeks) left, most people even on the reading websites such as this finish no more than 1-2 books per week, so this challenge would be completely dictating their reading year, and that shouldn't be the point of the challenge:) And I know some people, if they think they won't complete something, they won't participate T_T

I didn't think you would modify the number of titles after you took so much time to think of them & organize, so the only other thing I thought to make it a bit more equal would be points.;) But yes, with this, I honestly see your point very well - the points should be equal, but then I think it would be nicer if the time invested would be more or less equal too (aka the number of titles).

I think time-wise I would agree more with your first instinct - 30-35 novels seems much more reasonable & doable, especially considering there are only 9 months left. It doesn't seem unfair to me, because reading the book takes much much longer (5-6 times longer?), and reading 30 novels per year will take quite a bit of time.

You are right that it's possible to take shorter novels (it's exactly what I told to my friend when they had doubts), but with manga it's possible to take djs, so it's not really about that:)

In conclusion, I'm honestly not sure why I'm insisting so much because again, points don't matter to me, and I'm sure I can easily read 50 books. But I do still think that the novel challenge is much more time-consuming & a much bigger commitment & would scare some people off, who would have participated if it was a bit smaller. But this, coming to think of it, is not my problem, so I shouldn't be arguing here in the first place:D

You are right that it's possible to take shorter novels (it's exactly what I told to my friend when they had doubts), but with manga it's possible to take djs, so it's not really about that:)

In conclusion, I'm honestly not sure why I'm insisting so much because again, points don't matter to me, and I'm sure I can easily read 50 books. But I do still think that the novel challenge is much more time-consuming & a much bigger commitment & would scare some people off, who would have participated if it was a bit smaller. But this, coming to think of it, is not my problem, so I shouldn't be arguing here in the first place:D

Do you think I follow people's lists for the pace?

People who tried to cheat by using only/a lot of short DJ manga titles/oneshots will suffer disqualification.

If it's not all about the points...I don't see a reason to continue this conversation.

Instead of talking on the behalf of your friend, they can come to me to complain.

thank you for your reply.

You were right I should not speak on behalf on anyone else, it was my opinion that reducing the number of titles/adding points would attract more people to the challenge by making it a bit less time-consuming/more attractive, but I could be completely wrong.:)

thank you for taking your time to read & address my suggestions.

And Saga, regardless, thank you so much for organizing all of this for us! I'm incredibly grateful for this challenge, it's my favorite contest on YO so far! Sorry if I had asked too many questions here.:(

I suggested a few things & wanted to hear your opinion on them, but I still am really & truly grateful for the challenge itself, for you making it for us & making sure it's going well & smoothly.

I find the challenge hard because normally I would just read something that I find interesting. With this you have to activly search for a specific book... :D I hope I can finish the challenge

Can I please have the challenge signature stamp version 5?

Hey

, I don't think the manga challenge can be done in one month, even if you read really fast. I have been doing it since the start, and still have a lot of tasks to do and I read rather fast. Don't even know if I'll be able to finish it by may, but I hope so.

And, you know, I think more than the rewards, it's the experience what is attractive. I have read manga that now I love, hate, and some that made want to throw my laptop against the wall (Thank you, Saga. I will never get over it XD). It's a lot of fun, and it helps to get to know a lot more people!!

Even if you finish tomorrow, or December 31st, you will still get the points, so, isn't that good enough? :)

--

Anyway, I have read a Korean manga, task #43, and they didn't even kiss once!!!! wtf... I felt kinda betrayed XD.

I agree completely

- it should be fun first, fast second;) that's why I didn't participate in the manga one this year, because I just can't read manga anymore T_T

I was working under a very shitty boss last year for 60 hours per week 6 days a week & my only distraction was reading manga.. so yeah, back then my average reading speed was 200 manga titles per month;) the only downside is that I hate manga now:) I've read so much yaoi in such a short spam that now I have to force myself to read even my favorites;)

sorry to hear about your kissless manga experience;) nothing worse than an unsatisfying experience;)

P.s. out of curiosity, which manga caused you such a strong reaction?:)

, I-ren by Aivan :)

7 volumes and not one kiss between the main characters XD.

LOL you can’t you still change it and use it for the manga with not smut/ sex in it? Or have you already cleared this task too? I will read this Korean one too, because I have never read a shounen Ai where they haven’t even kissed, before :D at least I can’t remember.

ha, that's a good idea. I haven't done that task yet and this manga fits perfectly haha. I'll change it :) Hope my next korean manga has at least one kiss XD.

Hi

! This is the first time I've seen a contest like this and it really is very interesting! I have some questions though (some of these may be dumb, I guess. Sorry =.="). By BL does this encompass both yaoi and shounen-ai? Or "boy's love" only? And since there is a finished date, does this mean only completed/completely scanlated titles can be included or does that mean that you have completed reading all releases as of the moment even though the series is still ongoing?

I find the challenge hard because normally I would just read something that I find interesting. With this you have to activly search for a specific book... :D I hope I can finish the challenge

@

Can I please have the challenge signature stamp version 5?

Hey there!!

Of course you can have it. (:

Just copy-paste the code I will give you below in your signature area from Settings in your Profile.

[img=https://i.imgur.com/PZOCCaS.jpg]

Good luck and enjoy your novel hunt! ' v '

...want to throw my laptop against the wall (Thank you, Saga. I will never get over it XD).

tenor.gif

Hi @
! This is the first time I've seen a contest like this and it really is very interesting! I have some questions though (some of these may be dumb, I guess. Sorry =.="). By BL does this encompass both yaoi and shounen-ai? Or "boy's love" only? And since there is a finished date, does this mean only completed/completely scanlated titles can be included or does that mean that you have completed reading all releases as of the moment even though the series is still ongoing?

Hello!!

Welcome to the challenge!

Ah..Well, isn't that the good, old never-ending dispute about the terms XD.

Shounen-ai literally means Boys' Love. As yaoi refers to homosexual relationship [be it only sex friends or romance];

so, BL equals yaoi and shounen-ai, regardless what other people tell you. ' v '

Ah, 'finished date' doesn't involve the manga's origin progress. It might be completed in Japan, but not completely translated in English [other languages] - it doesn't matter.

The 'finished date' relates to when did you finish reading the title.

I hope I cleared your doubts! ' v '

Enjoy this challenge!

Good morning dear

!

:_red_fox 4

It's me again

Do you recommend

by Junko?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

I hope you have a lovely day! :)

:leaf:

Kp8z2Ns.jpg

: Great idea, thank you for thinking of it. foxy1

Looking forward to having lots of fun with this challenge.

Reading through the challenge list for the novels turned up a couple of questions though.

For challenge points 9 and 31 does it have to be the original cover or are covers by later versions or translations also all right?

And challenge points 21 and 41 did you mean in the original publication or are translation titles also fine?

And could I please get a signature stamp version 1, please?

Good morning dear

!

It's me again

Do you recommend

by Junko?

Kp8z2Ns.jpg

Hey there!!

Hmmmmmmmm. I wouldn't say I recommend it.

It's not bad, it's enjoyable but if I am asked to recommend something, it wouldn't be Konbini-kun.

: Great idea, thank you for thinking of it. foxy1

Looking forward to having lots of fun with this challenge.

Reading through the challenge list for the novels turned up a couple of questions though.

For challenge points 9 and 31 does it have to be the original cover or are covers by later versions or translations also all right?

And challenge points 21 and 41 did you mean in the original publication or are translation titles also fine?

And could I please get a signature stamp version 1, please?

Hello! Welcome to the challenge!

QUJezZe.png

Re 9 and 31 don't have to be first-release-covers, can be later versions too but not translation covers. Because I don't know what you have in mind. Some translators dump hot covers there, randomly. These 'covers' are not the novel's covers, so yeah.

Re 21 and 41 - either one is fine, be it in original language or the translation -> as long as it fits the criteria, right.

Enjoy your novel hunt!

NOhLTdQ.png

Hi dear

!

Do you recommend

by Ogasawara Uki?

Kp8z2Ns.jpg

Hello

! I have a question regarding the task no. 3 from the novel challenge :)

3. [began: ] [Finished: ] Read a title categorized 'psychological':

(03) Quote from corresponding task:

Although the book is not officially tagged as psychological, if it's tagged by readers as Dark or Twisted, can we consider it as psychological?

Btw, I noticed that #20 and #48 are similar, if not the same.

20. [began: ] [Finished: ] Read a title recommended by someone:

(20) Quote from corresponding task:

48. [began: ] [Finished: ] Read a novel someone recommended you :

(48) Quote from corresponding task:

Hi dear

!

Do you recommend

by Ogasawara Uki?

Kp8z2Ns.jpg

Hey there

*waves*

It was alright, and I enjoyed reading it buuut... from all the Romance manga i’ve read... (which aren’t many) I recommend you to read “Makkurayami de Kimi to”. It is actually one of my favorites min my whole list! It has every thing you wish for. A very nice storyline with lots of romance, fluff, comedy a Teeny weeny bit of tragedy and beautiful art. The main characters are really sweet :cuteonion9:

Have a nice Sunday my dear :o

Thank you dear

!

kitten%2Bhappy%2BSunday%2B2.jpg

Kp8z2Ns.jpg

thanks for the clarifications! :D

I wonder if anyone can recommend a manga made by a male artist for the fourth task? I can't seem to find an indisputably male bl mangaka 😅

thanks for the clarifications! :D

I wonder if anyone can recommend a manga made by a male artist for the fourth task? I can't seem to find an indisputably male bl mangaka ��

Hey, a User here made some effort and looked for some male mangaka ;)

Take a look at page 4 and 21 on this thread ;)

Hello
! I have a question regarding the task no. 3 from the novel challenge
:)

Although the book is not officially tagged as psychological, if it's tagged by readers as Dark or Twisted, can we consider it as psychological?

Btw, I noticed that #20 and #48 are similar, if not the same.

Re Yes, any dark themed or 'twisted' title would qualify for psychological.

Re Well, sh!t.

MJK7wcR.png

I have repeated the tasks? I swear, it can be really confusing especially when overworked. -_-

Hm, hm. What to do, what to do -_-''

Okay, I will change #48 and go to every user's note to change it from there too. Update your own list though, I see you worked on #48 unlike other users. '_' My bad, really!

thanks for the clarifications!
:D

I wonder if anyone can recommend a manga made by a male artist for the fourth task? I can't seem to find an indisputably male bl mangaka ��

Hey! As batista mentioned above, a user tried to help others by enlisting some male manga-ka's. (:

Re Yes, any dark themed or 'twisted' title would qualify for psychological.

Re Well, sh!t.

MJK7wcR.png

I have repeated the tasks? I swear, it can be really confusing especially when overworked. -_-

Hm, hm. What to do, what to do -_-''

Okay, I will change #48 and go to every user's note to change it from there too. Update your own list though, I see you worked on #48 unlike other users. '_' My bad, really!

It's understandable, given the work you do here. I'll just switch my #20 and #48 then.

Thank you for answering and have a good day. :)

Hi, I have a few questions ('tho I'm sure there'll be more along the way...)

1. How many pages MAX so a novel is categorized as short novel? And the nunber of pages is different between mobi, epub, and pdf. Which one would be the standard?

The rule said it can't be short novel, right? But some novel I read are below 200 pages, more than 100 pages in epub. Are they count as short novel or regular novel?

2. For task #2 and #25, psychological category - dark/violent settings, is it based on my opinion if a novel is a psychological category - dark/violent settings?

3. Task #5. Can historical novel be part of this task?

4. Task #14 and #47. The word "manga" actually means "novel" right? [i just want to make sure...]

5. Task #15. Can Dirty Angel by Barbara Elsborg be part of this task? The main character is poor, but his poorness is not the main topic.

6. Task #22a - Read a title with the chara being straight at first. Is this need to be a fanfiction?

7. Task #24. Again, to make sure. First letter in this context means the first letter when the story start right? Or first letter in the title?

8. Task #37. What's BU/NU?

9. Task #41. How many words are count as a long title?

10. Can I put conversation in a novel as a quote?

11. Any Chinese novel recommendation?

[sorry, I'm not good in telling what I mean... Hope you understand n_n" and sorry there're so many questions. I'm sorry too if the question I asked had already been answered before. I read from page 1 to 10 but 95% is about manga's challenge...]