Yaoi Reading Challenge Discussion Thread | edition 2018

Saga

Do you think the challenge should be limited to BL only?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hhmm... this leaves me with a question.

There is this task 'Read the sequel of a manga title'. I used the sequel of a manga that was already on my list, because 'sequel' but reading your conversation, I think I can't use it? They have different titles and all but... idk

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saga

• batista

• auser

• Riki

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'today' in task #42 does not mean 'the day the thread was started'? Oh... ._.

And now I'm wondering about 'Read the sequel of a manga title' as well. I was going to read some manga for one task and then its sequel for #27.

Yo

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
the “today” is the today when you are about to go start the task. So if you want to read it today 01.05.2018 then it has to be updated on this date. ;)

And I also think, the rule that you can’t use the same title/ series twice and I think sequels can be counted in too because they are closely related to the main story can be applied to the manga list as well. But I don’t make the rules... it’s just that I think it’s fair when the novel participants have to consider so much for choosing their reading material we should challenge ourselves too ;)

I tagged all of you who participated in BL novel reading challenge because I believe some of us misinterpreted the word "title" in one of the rules that stated.

Each manga/novel title can be used only once within this year's challenge. That is to say, in your list - no repetition of titles.

I was one too. Since normally, for novel, when we say title we think about the name of the book itself not the series, but in this case the word "Title" in the rule includes both book's title and series The series that each volume contained different plots/ ganre/ MCS and the series that each books were written by different authors are also under this rules, so none of them can be use.

Some of you may ask why not since they are also a full-length novel? Saga did kindly explain about the reason in the post above this one

I don't mean to be mean when I exclude 'series' but the point is to go around and have fun, like in a library - gathering all sorts of books. Think on it, when you enter a library, would you just stop before one single shelf and pick titles only from there? No, you wouldn't. Nonetheless, I will add the rules in a bit. I was also thinking that I will probably make two 'jury' teams. I will be with the manga jury, but will have to pick some novel-guru person to be the novell jury too. I haven't decided yet. Maybe once people start forwarding their turn-in forms, I will decide what to do with the two sorts of 'check-up'. XD

I know some of you already used the books from the same series for different assignments, so please kindly adjust them according to the rule. To prevent any misinterpret in the future Saga also kindly updated the rule for us, so now the rule also included the word Series too

Each manga/novel title/series can be used only once within this year's challenge. That is to say, in your list - no repetition of titles.

Thank you so much for your understanding, and let's have fun with the challenge together.

R

PS,

you should sign up already!!!

Hhmm... this leaves me with a question.

There is this task 'Read the sequel of a manga title'. I used the sequel of a manga that was already on my list, because 'sequel' but reading your conversation, I think I can't use it? They have different titles and all but... idk

Yeah, kind of breaks the rule. Even if it's a sequel to something you already put in your list.. It shouldn't be there if it repeats some title/series. Unless stated to do so. Like for novel readers, there is a 'read a trilogy' task. Even if the rules state to not cheat with different books but same story/plot/settings/series even if different plots and so on - your task is basically to break the rules. '_']> I think for next year...we should "release" a special book 'How To Play The Challenge' XDDDD XDDDDDDD. Continue reading below, even if it's a message for Namako.

, a shout-out for your question. I think that if we say 'no' to novel readers about their book series, we should say 'no' to manga readers too.

I think for next year...we should "release" a special book 'How To Play The Challenge' XDDDD XDDDDDDD. Continue reading below, even if it's a message for Namako.

, a shout-out for your question. I think that if we say 'no' to novel readers about their book series, we should say 'no' to manga readers too.

Yup, got it and already deleted the ones I picked for that task ;D

As for the book... hm, you think it's going to be so long? XD Well, maybe not a whole book but.. oh! there can be a separate thread only for this and if something is cleared/changed in the discussion thread, you can write it in the one about the rules and everyone will be able to see the changes there.

p.s. "The 'today' in task #42 does not mean 'the day the thread was started'? Oh... ._." still makes me laugh when I think about it XDDD Just what I thought is so stupid XD I'm glad I haven't completed this task yet xD

Thanks for tagging me, otherwise I probably would have missed the change in the rules.

But since I checked my list just now and didn't use the same series twice but an author, that leaves me with a question.

Do I have to interpret the change in rules to mean that one can't use the same author more than once either?

Thanks for tagging me, otherwise I probably would have missed the change in the rules.

But since I checked my list just now and didn't use the same series twice but an author, that leaves me with a question.

Do I have to interpret the change in rules to mean that one can't use the same author more than once either?

Uh, I don't think so. There's nothing about authors in the rules '_'

If you ask me I would say No. I believe nothing in the rules mention about author, so I think same author should be safe, but if you concern about it, let's ask

As Namako and Racheal said, you are good to go with the same author. We haven't banned the usage of one author more than once. '__'

Thank you

and
for the explanation.

Because of this rule I have to rearrange my list. It's okay if I moved the book titles that I've already read to other categories?

For example : I've read book "A" for challenge no.4. But now I want to move Book "A" to challenge no.8 and read other book for challenge no. 4

Is that okay?

Thank you
and
for the explanation.

Because of this rule I have to rearrange my list. It's okay if I moved the book titles that I've already read to other categories?

For example : I've read book "A" for challenge no.4. But now I want to move Book "A" to challenge no.8 and read other book for challenge no. 4

Is that okay?

Yes, you can edit however you want your list as long as it doesn't clash with the rules ' v '

Hi

Thank you for alerting me to this as I was unaware that a series could not be used for multiple reading tasks. However, I'm afraid I don't see how I have misinterpreted the rules. At this point in time, I can't see that I have used a series twice on my novel reading list (the link is in my signature).

I have, however, listed different novels by the same author under various tasks.

Are you by any chance referring to what I have noted for task 6, where "No.6" is the series title?

6. [began: ] [Finished: ] Read a title which has been adapted to manga/anime/movie:  Asano Atsuko "No.6" Volume 1

I would be grateful if you could clarify what I have done to misinterpret the rules and I will make the necessary adjustments.

Thank you

for mention me, so that I didn't miss the update in the rules. I just started with the novel challenge, so it's good to know the different between novel titles and series.

Sorry for not being clear

I did tag everybody who participated in novel reading challenge to make sure we understand the rules in the same direction, and no one has to adjust the list in the last minutes. If your list doesn't have book from the same series mean you're safe and there is no necessary to adjust anything. Good luck and have fun with the challenge juzi :D

thanks for the clarification.

_______

as in for the novel challenge. so here what's on my mind. just an opinion.

i did participated a few book/novel challenge before this, & from what i see the only rule that meant to 'force' participants not to be 'lazy' is "do not use the same title". there's no rules like "do not use books under the same series". you see, so here's the part where 'breaking the rules'. where i can use books from the same series name but i can only use each book once.

of course, you can have any rules in your reading challenge bc yours different from others. you gave us points. it's understandable to have some restrictions somewhere in there. i suggest maybe you can use this as a main rule instead of one of the task in future. but it's just a suggestion of course.

as for the library analogy, haha i got something else in my mind. i did go to library. so when i went to "sci-fi" shelf, i didn't just pick 1 book from the shelf. i even pick book 2/3 from the same author (if it's available) bc i don't want to be 'cut off' from all the fun & maybe one or two other scifi books from different authors from it.

here i'm just sharing my thoughts of course. reading challenge should be a fun thing not too complicated. thank you again saga for giving us this opportunity to have fun & at the same time gain some points heee..

_________

haha i think i'll pass for this year. maybe next year? we'll see :D

Thank you for notifying me.

Thank you for the clarification.

I don't really mind about this... Well, one thing on my mind: I'm troubled with the 'red cover' assignment...! :_red_fox 1

Btw, I rarely update my list. Is that okay?

And this challenge is only for three month according to each participant start date, isn't it? Or am I missing something?

Hi again

!

:_red_fox 4

I just reread the rules after reading some posts from the Discussion Thread and realize that I have some titles that are sequels or prequels (according to the rules that makes them from the same series), the problem is that I already submitted my turn in form. What do I do?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Have a great day! :)

:leaf:

Where did you see it's only for three months? I think I missed something if that's so.

But with this change of rules, I got more questions (sorry for that).

Can I read Chuchun ga chun for task 60 (manga with yellow cover) and Fukurou-kun to kare for task 41(manga with sports settings)? Because I saw somewhere that Fukurou-kun tells the story of a character for Chuchun, but they are kind of independent. It's not the same from Captive Prince or No.6 that we have to read all the books to know the end.

And for task 39 (manga where the mc where glasses), can I read Kirai ja nai kedo (and only Kirai ja nai kedo)? Because there are other mangas related to this one where the character doesn't where glasses. Of course, I'm not planing to read Koi ja nai kedo (and the other mangas featuring this couple) in other task, but I would read Warui koto shitai and the other mangas with other couples.

Sorry if that sounds a little confused.

Thanks

for tagging me..i have just started but didn't update my list yet..so its good to have the rules explained.... if i wasn't aware i might have chosen different stories from a series ..thanks again..

@

I understand. In fact, the goal here is not to copy/paste others, but to create our own version of it. I never liked copycats.

As for the library analogy, my point was heading somewhere else. But between the moon and the stars, people pay attention to either or both at night time. Eh, another anology for the situation.

It's very easy to read some trilogy or books under same series but just with different titles, and because of it, because you read 5 books from these series anyway, you will try to enlist them under some categories that fit. What was it, "one rock - five categories down".

Manga readers can do the same with manga series, spin offs, doujinshi and whatever else to do with the manga series. I find it...lazy. Moreover, I do not understand why would one join, if they think they don't like it or can't do it.

I don't want to copy-paste, that's my final word. And, I don't really care how 'others do it', if it is not something that can 'teach' or 'give' new perspectives of making your 'product' better.

Actually, MAL divides their version of the challenge in tiers, aka levels. If you think you can cover up only 10 titles per the year -> newbie level. Etc. I kind of like the idea, but it will be a complete rip-off, if I take it.

@

, '_' On both banners for the challenge, it is stated that the deadline is: 31 of December, 2018.

@

, I will delete the turn-in form. You can proceed to edit your list. The first edition is wonky, sorry.

@
Where did you see it's only for three months? I think I missed something if that's so.

But with this change of rules, I got more questions (sorry for that).

Can I read Chuchun ga chun for task 60 (manga with yellow cover) and Fukurou-kun to kare for task 41(manga with sports settings)? Because I saw somewhere that Fukurou-kun tells the story of a character for Chuchun, but they are kind of independent. It's not the same from Captive Prince or No.6 that we have to read all the books to know the end.

And for task 39 (manga where the mc where glasses), can I read Kirai ja nai kedo (and only Kirai ja nai kedo)? Because there are other mangas related to this one where the character doesn't where glasses. Of course, I'm not planing to read Koi ja nai kedo (and the other mangas featuring this couple) in other task, but I would read Warui koto shitai and the other mangas with other couples.

Sorry if that sounds a little confused.

Re The challenge doesn't end in three months. The user misunderstood it.

Re Um. No. Fukurou-kun to kare is the sequel. So, pick only one. Both has to do with sports anyway, so either pick something else for 'yellow' or for 'sports'.

Re Warui Series shouldn't be "overused" for your list, or it will break rules. Pick the volume/title where Yukimura wears..But wait. How do you know about Warui series anyway, if you haven't read them? Nonetheless, you can't use all the Warui series and fit them according categories. Didn't we clear that above the posts? '_'

You can read them if you want, I can't stop you. -_-' But when enlisting titles, pick one of them. Don't use all of these 'prequel of couple XX', then 'sequel of couple XX', then spin off of that couple. And there we go again, repeating with the other couples the same.

Hi

Does this manga Shounen to Kusuriuri by Yoshida Mika qualify with a long-haired character. His hair is not to short right?

Hi

Does this manga Shounen to Kusuriuri by Yoshida Mika qualify with a long-haired character. His hair is not to short right?

Re It qualifies for a character with long hair. (:

Thanks for the heads up

and for the clarification
:)

Hi

!

:_red_fox 4

crystald The first edition is wonky

Please explain! :)

I check my list and found that

05, (09)

(7), 59

13, (14)

(27), 56

are in conflict of series, so I will change the ones in brackets.

7. Reread one completed manga title: Ani no Chuukoku by Asada Nemui

9. Read a comedy manga: Aa Bocchama...! by Tsukinose Maro

14. Read a supernatural manga title: 5 Seconds by Sachimo

27. Read the sequel of a manga title: Paradise View by Kojima Lalako

I noticed the green and red flags, I only got the one you explained (23:45)

is there something else I should be looking on my list?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Have a great day! :)

:leaf: