Yaoi Reading Challenge Discussion Thread | edition 2018

Saga

Do you think the challenge should be limited to BL only?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
that might be the one that!! ahah, and it's not too long, although now I'm worried that it might be too short.. 27 pages only :( an average novel usually starts with 200 pages & more.. what do you think? :(

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saga

• batista

• auser

• Riki

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah shoot I didn't notice that. Well

you can check her other books. A few is under 2. So maybe we can pick one of those

I'm checking them right now, but most of her other works doesn't have page count. T_T but maybe we could ask
just in case if a short story would be ok for this particular challenge, because finding a full length novel which is THAT bad is really hard:D:D What is your opinion, Saga? Would that be acceptable? (it was me who said first that a short story doesn't fit, but now I got hope.. what if you say yes:D)

if not, than I will do more googling & hopefully will find something.. I would like to complete this task this weekend because it's the only one I'm dreading:D:D

UPD: Nevermind.. A Rogue's Power by the same author has a very low (less than 2) rating & it's pretty big. I'm reading it now then.. T_T wish me luck? thank you so much for finding it

!

Not sure.. Can we ask you, dear
?

'_' No, a 0 rating doesn't count. It just means no one has voted yet....right?

P.S. And yes, a short story counts on any of the tasks. However, if a user abuses that [so to say, picks only short stories on purpose for whatever reason] - it's another story. I guess I will step in then, but anyhow. Short stories for any of the tasks is okay.

thank you so so much for the clarification!!:D And oh no, I wish I waited a bit for your answer.. T_T I'm halfway through A Rogue's Power, and yep, it's just as bad as its rating T_T T_T

but great news about the short stories regardless!:D:D it will make it easier with the difficult tasks..^^

can I used The Student Prince by FayJay for challenge No.9 a title with cover main color being red?

can I used The Student Prince by FayJay for challenge No.9 a title with cover main color being red?

Yup, totally qualifies. (:

I finished A rogue's power and haven't been able to pick up any other book ever since. I think it melted my brain away.. you're in for a tough ride xD but definitely please go for the short story, because this author is absolutely horrible

Dear

:_red_fox 3, I have two more question:D (I'm almost done with them, I promise promise!)^^

Would the song of Achilles

qualify for #5 Reading the novel with the Ancient settings.. I started it out, but now I realized that some of the characters are sons of God, so I assume its not only Ancient, but fantasy as well.. Would it still qualify?:D

And would

qualify as #16 - a novel about art?:D It's a mystery first, but it's a mystery about a painter and his painting, so I'm not sure if it works:D

you really strong to be able to finish it. may ask where you get the book though? couse I dont want to spent money on horible book and I dont feel good to request it here. Oh I found another writer with low ranting books

Hello!

Two questions about the manga challenge:

1)For task 16 (manga about food, music or art), can I read Vanilla Resort? One of the mc is a mangaka.

2)Some tasks like 5 or 17 are about the year the manga/dj was published. Is anyway to search for it on Bakaupdates/Myanimelist? Because the only way I know is to search for yaoi manga and then see the year, I was wondering if it has a way to search about the year

Thanks again in advance! :)

Edit:

One more question, because I'm stupid. For task 54 (read a manga with a low rating in Bakupdates). In Bakaupdates the lowest rating in yaoi is 4.49 (If you want I can post the link), so if the rating goes from 10 to 4.49, is okay to choose a manga with rating 5.9 or should be lower?

how do you even find this horrocity?? ahah

and yep, I can send you a book..^^ I also would never upload this to YO, because yeah.. nobody else should suffer through this xD

it's seem I have some peculiar taste that lead me to this kind of book if click the wrong button :D

Dear
:_red_fox 3, I have two more question:D (I'm almost done with them, I promise promise!)^^

Would the song of Achilles

qualify for #5 Reading the novel with the Ancient settings.. I started it out, but now I realized that some of the characters are sons of God, so I assume its not only Ancient, but fantasy as well.. Would it still qualify?:D

And would

qualify as #16 - a novel about art?:D It's a mystery first, but it's a mystery about a painter and his painting, so I'm not sure if it works:D

Re Yes, to all your questions. They do qualify perfectly fine. (:

Hello!

Two questions about the manga challenge:

1)For task 16 (manga about food, music or art), can I read Vanilla Resort? One of the mc is a mangaka.

2)Some tasks like 5 or 17 are about the year the manga/dj was published. Is anyway to search for it on Bakaupdates/Myanimelist? Because the only way I know is to search for yaoi manga and then see the year, I was wondering if it has a way to search about the year

Thanks again in advance! :)

Edit:

One more question, because I'm stupid. For task 54 (read a manga with a low rating in Bakupdates). In Bakaupdates the lowest rating in yaoi is 4.49 (If you want I can post the link), so if the rating goes from 10 to 4.49, is okay to choose a manga with rating 5.9 or should be lower?

Re 1. Yes, it can qualify for 'art'. (:

Re 2. Yup, these are actually one of the best info sources, so you can use them. (:

Re 3. This is how I see it. If the manga is rated from 1 to 5, anything up to 3 is 'low'. Because after 3, it's "good". So to say, 2.9 is low but 3.1 is 'good-ish'. If from 1 to 10, anything from 5 upwards is a good rate. So you should dart for 1 to 4 (4.8) at a maximum for 'low rate'.

YAY!:D thank you!!!!!!!

that changed my plan on what to read for tonight..^^ I should stop asking, because after I post the question, ten minutes later I'm pretty sure I know the answer..

but then again, it's mostly because I'm not sure - what would happen if we post the turn in form, and the jury will find the book that doesn't qualify for the task? Would that person get a second chance or would automatically be disqualified?:D Would you answer this one more question for me, please?:_red_fox 11

YAY!
:D thank you!!!!!!!

that changed my plan on what to read for tonight..^^ I should stop asking, because after I post the question, ten minutes later I'm pretty sure I know the answer..

but then again, it's mostly because I'm not sure - what would happen if we post the turn in form, and the jury will find the book that doesn't qualify for the task? Would that person get a second chance or would automatically be disqualified?:D Would you answer this one more question for me, please?:_red_fox 11

Re Yeah, the person gets disqualified and he will not be able to play the game ever again. '_'

lxB3LoC.gif

The system is 'flag-based'. If all is good - green. If not - red. And you will be tagged on your own post, in case some red flag appears. Then, you can change the title with another. So, overall - it's fine. Don't fret over it and have fun.

Hello everyone!

This time I need a manga title recommended from anyone of you, participants, to complete task #20. I will be happy to get a lot of recommendation, so I can screen out those I have read before.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Saga, thank you so much for your answer!!!I'm relieved.. ^^ No more questions from me!!:D:D:D I promise!

can I? please?:D:D:D I LOVE giving manga recommendations & then discussing them:D

ok, so:

Ganbare! Nakamura-kun

Sora o Daite Oyasumi

Evergreen Days

Out of Control/Never Understand

Yowamushi Danshi, Renai Hajimemasu

Thank You My God

Bokura no Mitsudomoe Sensou

Zutto Kitto

The first that I thought of, not necessarily my absolute favorites.. if you read them all, please let me know, I have more:D:D

Thank you

for your recommendation. From all of the manga you have listed up, I haven't read two of them. It's Ganbare! Nakamura-kun and Zutto Kitto. The manga Ganbare! Nakamura-kun, I did read the three first chapters a long time ago (took long time before the next chapter was updated), so I will try Zutto Kitto. (Of course I will read both of them, but I will use Zutto Kitto for my challenge XD)

it's an angsty one, I loved it!! Ahah please let me know what you think once you finish!:)

And Yay!! I'm so happy you will be reading it!!

, I will try to convey my thoughts and write it down. I'm really bad at writing down my opinion in English, but I will do my best! :) I should use my friend Google to help with difficult sentence. :D

oh if it's too much trouble, you really don't have to write me anything:D but if you do - then don't worry about it too much about the grammar or stuff like this... I'm pretty sure I will understand pretty much anything:D

p.s. but your English seems good to me..^^

This isn't really relevant or important, but I just want to say that I am loving going through all of these yaoi manga for this challenge. I'm someone who reads so slowly and even when I pick up a book I usually put it down before I start, but this has given me the incentive to read as much as I can and I'm really loving every moment of it. It's so much fun and I'm getting introduced to such amazing manga. My friends and I have been able to share titles and talk about them over ice cream~ It's just been great fun. While I'm only at 8 mangas read it's really awesome to be having so much fun with this challenge ^_^

Heeeello the awesome

& other awesome people I don't know, so I'm too shy to tag (T_T).. it's been 2 full months since the Novel version of the Reading challenge was so amazingly created by one & only Saga, so how are things going for you?:D

What were the best/worst books you've read so far?:D

I've been really struggling this month with the challenge, actually. I have counted & in May I've read 7 (!) books that I just can't fit in any of the tasks ( ahah i'm legit upset that I get so distracted from the challenge by other books xD), but we have like 8 months more so it's ok ahah.

But hey - I'm ready to get serious (because it's serious business, dammit xD xD) & I need your precious advice with 2 of the most difficult tasks for me:

Read a title which you associate with the word "Chocolate"

&

Read a title with the chara being super popular

Does anybody have any ideas/suggestions for these two?:D:D and even if not, please do tell how the challenge is going for you..^^