Yaoi Reading Challenge Discussion Thread | edition 2018

Saga

Do you think the challenge should be limited to BL only?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Uhm, just to clarify, the manga should be completed in it's country of origin? Or can we read an ongoing (both in scanlation and origin) BL mangas and put the completed date on the day we finished reading the available chapters as long as it fits the criteria?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saga

• batista

• auser

• Riki

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm, just to clarify, the manga should be completed in it's country of origin? Or can we read an ongoing (both in scanlation and origin) BL mangas and put the completed date on the day we finished reading the available chapters as long as it fits the criteria?

Hey! Welcome to the challenge!

I didn't get the question much but when you have the criteria to have a 'completed manga' - it means it has to be a completed manga in country of origin obviously. Because then the scanlator, in case you read it subbed, would need to complete it as well for it to be 'completed'. If it's 'on-going' [when subbed], it no longer fits the criteria.

Not all titles has to be 'a completed manga', so you are good to go with 'ongoing' titles, too. Just be careful with the 'completed title' criteria as there are such. (:

Hope I got the question correctly.

A trap is a man/ boy who likes to dress up as woman... even looks very feminine.

For example:

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

I hope it helps you ;)

Wait... at first, I thought that task referred to what you've just explain but then I saw the task with the cross-dressing thing so I thought the same thing as

, that it should be a manga with confinement/deceiving settings and now I'm all confused... maybe
could enlighten us a little bit about this? Please ^^

Also, I was researching for task #4 Read a manga drawn by a male artist and this is what I could find as confirmed male artist:

Kanbe Akira

Kisaragi Hirotaka

Kujou Aoi

Sakura Haiji

Tsukumo Gou (this one really surprised me cause I've always thought he was a woman xD I love his art)

Kousaka Tohru

Tagame Gengoroh

Jiraiya

Hope it was of help :)

Wait... at first, I thought that task referred to what you've just explain but then I saw the task with the cross-dressing thing so I thought the same thing as
, that it should be a manga with confinement/deceiving settings and now I'm all confused... maybe
could enlighten us a little bit about this? Please ^^

Also, I was researching for task #4 Read a manga drawn by a male artist and this is what I could find as confirmed male artist:

Kanbe Akira

Kisaragi Hirotaka

Kujou Aoi

Sakura Haiji

Tsukumo Gou (this one really surprised me cause I've always thought he was a woman xD I love his art)

Kousaka Tohru

Tagame Gengoroh

Jiraiya

Hope it was of help :)

Trap is usually but not always in the hentai category, even more, it is about deceiving one is from the opposite gender. Hence 'trap'.

Cross-dressing is just cross-dressing, there is no need for the character to look 100% like a woman, or to hide that he is a male. So, I think they do differ.

Trap is usually but not always in the hentai category, even more, it is about deceiving one is from the opposite gender. Hence 'trap'.

Cross-dressing is just cross-dressing, there is no need for the character to look 100% like a woman, or to hide that he is a male. So, I think they do differ.

Thank you :D

That’s the difference I have tried to explain in the posts after this post but it didn’t work :D

I didn't get the question much but when you have the criteria to have a 'completed manga' - it means it has to be a completed manga in country of origin obviously. Because then the scanlator, in case you read it subbed, would need to complete it as well for it to be 'completed'. If it's 'on-going' [when subbed], it no longer fits the criteria.

Not all titles has to be 'a completed manga', so you are good to go with 'ongoing' titles, too. Just be careful with the 'completed title' criteria as there are such. (:

Hope I got the question correctly.

thanks! you got my question and cleared my misunderstanding :) So, I believe even if the manga hasn't been completed by the scanlation team but fit the criteria will do for any challenge that fits. :)

Hello, just stumbled across this challenge.

I've decided to try the "novel" list and need some help from fellow participants and

:)

For task No. 10 - Read a novel another participant has completed.

Dear participants, can you recommend me a Japanese BL novel that you've enjoyed? It doesn't have to be translated into English.

My recs and suggested categories (* = English translations are available online; # = Chinese translation available online)

*Konohara Narise - Hako no Naka [22a. Characters who are both straight to begin with]

*Konohara Narise - Utsukushii koto [46. Cross-dressing]

#Konohara Narise - Rivet / 木原音瀨 「一切從心開始」(search for Chinese alt title) [49. Main character has health problems]

No 37 - Read a novel that has a very low rating on BU/NU.

I'm guessing that "BU" stands for Baka-Updates but can you tell me what "NU" stands for? It might be that I've never used "NU" before. Thank you in advance.

Hello, just stumbled across this challenge.

I've decided to try the "novel" list and need some help from fellow participants and @

:)

For task No. 10 - Read a novel another participant has completed.

Dear participants, can you recommend me a Japanese BL novel that you've enjoyed? It doesn't have to be translated into English.

@

No 37 - Read a novel that has a very low rating on BU/NU.

I'm guessing that "BU" stands for Baka-Updates but can you tell me what "NU" stands for? It might be that I've never used "NU" before. Thank you in advance.

Hello! Welcome to the challenge and I suppose you are the first novel reader to join so far, as we changed the challenge only today, from manga challenge - we made it into a reading challenge [we will announce it later today].

Onto your questions.

NU stands for Novel Updates. And BU, as you guessed, stands for Baka Updates.

Here the links to the sites:

On NU you can actually search by Language, there you can find Japanese recommendations [or any other actually].

I believe you can also check the country of origin on BU too, or at least guess it from its title.

Here, titles in the Japanese category [you just have to pick the BL [yaoi] genre]:

That was incredibly quick, thank you :)

I've just a look at Novel Updates, it'll definitely be handy for when I look for Korean/Chinese novels. There's much more translated stuff available than I thought there would be.

I was exactly gonna ask what

asked for but more on task no. 22 . Hahaha!! Saves time typing I guess. Thanks for that. :D

And as usual, Thanks for the help

you're the best! :D

Oh, I didn't realize the challenge changed! I went to read the rules again, and in the sign-up form we have to specify if we want to do the manga or novel challenge, but the first participants didn't put that since it was not required. That would not affect us, right?

---Update---

Nevermind... They're all edited XD.

I've listed a few novel recs in

if you're looking for any XD. Please let me know if you have any to share!

Thank you so much!!

. Unfortunately I don't read much on BL novels. But if I do find a good one, I'll gladly shared them ^^

thanks

for the new addition challenge. it looks good. but i don't think i'll participate even though i loved reading BL novel more now. maybe next year, i have a few reading challenge needed to complete already hehe .. hopefully there would still be one next year! & thanks again!!

hello, new participant here ^///^

may i know if its ok to type in just the title of the novels we will be reading in the sign-up form, just for our own future reference of what to read? if yes, can we change it afterwards?

sorry if this question has been asked before. and thank you for adding novel to this reading challenge :)

Thank you for adding a novel reading challenge as well

! Now I can participate :Excited:

Hello everyone! New participant here. Let's all do our best! :D

thanks
for the new addition challenge. it looks good. but i don't think i'll participate even though i loved reading BL novel more now. maybe next year, i have a few reading challenge needed to complete already hehe .. hopefully there would still be one next year! & thanks again!!

Yeah, I am also not sure I will take part in the novel challenge although I also read novels. But oh well, there is enough of time until 31st of December. ' v '

hello, new participant here ^///^

may i know if its ok to type in just the title of the novels we will be reading in the sign-up form, just for our own future reference of what to read? if yes, can we change it afterwards?

sorry if this question has been asked before. and thank you for adding novel to this reading challenge :)

You can type/edit whatever you want as long as it doesn't clash with the rules you have read in the post.

Criteria is imporant and 'start-finish' dates are as well. Else, you can edit titles - remove and switch titles, edit quotes and so on.

The thing cannot be edited once you have posted your 'TURN IN FORM'.

Thank you for adding a novel reading challenge as well
! Now I can participate :Excited:

Hello everyone! New participant here. Let's all do our best! :D

Hey! Welcome to the challenge. (:

Nevermind... They're all edited XD.

-grins- Hehehe.

uh.. i kinda feel like i wanna participate in BL novel challenge too. & after reviewing the tasks i have a few questions;

1. do i need to send in another sign up form?

2. western BL / MM books can count in too right? i mean any books in BL Novel download section is okay?

3. can i ask more points for BL Novel challenge? hehe because this like a 'hard' challenge compared to manga. i'm a track on getting vip rank that's why i need more points. don't hate me, senpai

okay, that's all. thanks a lot and you are awesome as always!!

dear

I have two questions too:

1)I agree with

with the third point. It takes much longer to read an average BL book, while most of manga could be read in under one hour;) even if there are 15 less of them.. so in that sense, it's a harder & longer challenge;) I can handle 50 books a year, but not a lot of people can:) But I would never want the challenge to be shorter, it's too goood.;)

I will participate probably only in novel challenge, so thank you so much for it!..^^)

2) you have written before that start date/end date are important part of the challenge (i pay attention!:D).. do they have to be completed on the day you started the book? Like, can I come during the weekend, and fill out start/end days for all the books I've read during the week?

ok, it's probably a dumb question, but it would be a stupid thing to fail it too;)

@

uh.. i kinda feel like i wanna participate in BL novel challenge too. & after reviewing the tasks i have a few questions;

1. do i need to send in another sign up form?

2. western BL / MM books can count in too right? i mean any books in BL Novel download section is okay?

3. can i ask more points for BL Novel challenge? hehe because this like a 'hard' challenge compared to manga. i'm a track on getting vip rank that's why i need more points. don't hate me, senpai

okay, that's all. thanks a lot and you are awesome as always!!

Hello!

1. Yeah, in case you are keeping the manga list. If not, I allow the first part of the participants to be able to change their type of list.

2. Yes, of course BL books count. Yes, these in our BL Novel section. (:

3. No. The titles for novels are 20 titles down compared to the manga titles exactly because of that. So, you cannot ask for more points because of that. Read the follow-up in my reply to Mochi.

dear @

I have two questions too:

1)I agree with @

with the third point. It takes much longer to read an average BL book, while most of manga could be read in under one hour;) even if there are 15 less of them.. so in that sense, it's a harder & longer challenge;) I can handle 50 books a year, but not a lot of people can:) But I would never want the challenge to be shorter, it's too goood.;)

I will participate probably only in novel challenge, so thank you so much for it!..^^)

2) you have written before that start date/end date are important part of the challenge (i pay attention!:D).. do they have to be completed on the day you started the book? Like, can I come during the weekend, and fill out start/end days for all the books I've read during the week?

ok, it's probably a dumb question, but it would be a stupid thing to fail it too;)

Hello!

1. The novel titles are with 20 titles less than manga. The number 50 was picked because it's worthy for one year, rather than just 20 titles which might make manga readers wonder why they gotta read 70 titles for 10,000 and novel readers just 20 for the same amount of points. I disagree that all people can read one manga title for less than 1 hour. Some people can't, nor have the time to. Also, if one cannot handle either manga/novel list number per year, I do not see why would they join the challenge. I will not change the points. This year the titles are 70 per manga, 50 per novel. I am following all participants and their pace, next year I will change the title numbers. Whether for manga will be more and for novel less - it all depends on this first edition challenge.

P.S. I do disagree about the novel/books though. I can read one rather thick book per day, and two light novels per day with 15-20 chapters each. But that is just me, I am not applying my reading pace to anyone - so you shouldn't do it too.

2. You can't complete the dates on the date you started the book. By rule you cannot finish the title on the same day of starting it. Unless you can foresee how much time a title will take you? Yes, you can enlist the dates whenever you want on as many books as you want.

1. I'm trying not to apply my reading pace on anyone either T_T. I'm a very quick reader & have already read around 100 BL novels only this year (yep, I was unemployed for most of it, please don't judge me;) But I have noticed that it still takes at least 5 or 6 times more time to read a novel rather than a manga. but it could be just me. People are different:)

Thank you for taking your time to reply me & voide!

The suggestion was mostly to attract more people to the novel challenge regardless of the intimidating (for some:)) number 50, because the more - the merrier.:)

You are right, it obviously makes sense to wait & see how it will go this year, how many people will participate & finish, how quickly they will do it, etc.

2. Nope, not what meant: I think I formulated the question wrong, but you have answered what I wanted to ask anyway;)

thanks!

1. I'm trying not to apply my reading pace on anyone either T_T. I'm a very quick reader & have already read around 100 BL novels only this year (yep, I was unemployed for most of it, please don't judge me;) But I have noticed that it still takes at least 5 or 6 times more time to read a novel rather than a manga. but it could be just me. People are different:)

Thank you for taking your time to reply me & voide!

The suggestion was mostly to attract more people to the novel challenge regardless of the intimidating (for some:)) number 50, because the more - the merrier.:)

You are right, it obviously makes sense to wait & see how it will go this year, how many people will participate & finish, how quickly they will do it, etc.

2. Nope, not what meant: I think I formulated the question wrong, but you have answered what I wanted to ask anyway;)

thanks!

Hmmm, maybe I didn't reply correctly.

No matter how we change the title count, the points will always be equal - for manga and for novel readers.

I do not plan to give more points to one group just because 'novel' or just because 'manga'.

I don't judge you, maybe it came out weird when I said it because I am rather blunt in my replies even though I am trying to make it obvious I am not scary/angry or anything else. '_'

Before we decided on 50 titles, we actually though of 30 titles per novel readers - but that's not fair.

If you haven't noticed, not all 50 titles are meant to be any thick book or long, long trilogies. I even including manga titles in the novel list as well. So, over all you might actually have to read around 40 or even less 'long titles', depends on how hard you want to make the challenge on yourself. I haven't named any book there with no number of pages, to make it hard.

I do understand you want to see more novel players joining but I have to keep the balance between the two groups. I can't give more rewards to one group just because their task seemed a bit harder. Then why did I took off 20 titles of novel readers' shoulders? So I reward them more as well? (:

So, what you disagree about is not the points amount itself, as I understood, but the count of titles?

How many titles do you think it's fair to be given for 1 year, then?

ah, thanks

for the info. i will turn in my other sign up form soon. oh, i'm actually excited. to be or not to be - completed the challenge is another story. bc i enjoyed look up books to fit in the tasks given. thanks, again!

yo

let's the fun begin :D