Sanctuary (Private)

Sathenus

“Hopefully it will be worth while when it happens..” He said a bit more bashfully as he picked up all the work he threw to the floor. He didn’t top as often in life as he bottomed but he hoped it would be good enough. “Financials..financials..” he looked over the papers, needing to. Look up border security for a cheap enough price but still sturdy along with expanding stalls to accommodate possibly more short or long term stays with tribal communities getting closer to the main areas

"I'm sure you're very capable as a top." Xander missed only growing more curious with how bashful Alexander had become. He helped his boyfriend gather the scattered papers from the floor before leaving to get them some much needed food. When he returned he set a takeout container down on the desk with a fork and a drink for Alexander. "How's it coming?" Xander asked once more perched on the corner of the desk. Sipping from his iced tea, his container with his food in his lap. 

“It’s a lot of projects to suddenly take on at once. We will be stretched very thin if we use good quality material while also making new stalls and needed expansions. Any further permanent additions and even more temporary stays will put us on very thin ice into going deep in the red. We need a sponsor or some sort of fundraising opportunity to draw in heft donations or we are in trouble. Top priority is control of the borders from poachers and outside influences” He nodded, a bit more relaxed from a moment ago  but Still stressed

"It'll be touch and go but I know we can make it work." Xander replied giving Alexander a small smile. "I agree, we really need to upgrade the fencing around the entire property but more so back in the woods. Especially with wild tribes so close to the sanctuary, I wouldn't want anyone on either side to get injured on the fence." He admitted with a soft sigh. They'd have to look into what material would be best suited for the job and do it right so that it wouldn't need to be replaced or upgraded again for years to come. "As for the poachers... all I can think of to maybe keep them at bay is hiring some security. But... I can't see that being cheap either." Xander sighed. He moved and settled in a chair across from Alexander, taking a bite of the burger he had gotten himself. "Marcus has some great connections though. He was telling me earlier about an organization he has been in contact with that is fighting for the rights of centaurs who may be able to help with funding and care even the upgrade to larger facilities." He informed his boyfriend.

There was a catch of course, this organization wasn't located in their country first off, and second they would have to come and inspect the sanctuary to see if it was even something they were willing to fund. The organization had powerful backers in their countries with plenty of money to help with rescue, care and rehabilitation of mistreated centaur. But they wouldn't allow their money to go just anywhere. Each facility they endorsed had to meet rather high standards. They would have to get their fences and facilities upgraded in order to even stand a chance of being considered. Something that wouldn't be cheap to do and there was no telling even after these upgrades if the organization would agree to work with them. Marcus was willing to put them into contact with the organization though. "This organization is also working on a breed and release program for the centaurs. Releasing captive bred centaur back into the wild to increase population. Their help could prove to be invaluable if we managed to win their favor. Especially if any pregnancies occur here. They know how to handle those things."

Alexander sighed as he was happy to hear about the organization, knowing it would take a lot to get the recognition of an organization of that size. With Marcus here, they had an edge but they would still need to prove their worth. They would need facilities to show they were taking care of long standing members of the sanctuary, prove that they have plans in place to care for them, many things he was sure. Not many sanctuaries existed in the world and he was likely one of the few in the country that he knew of, centaur rights and liberation was still a heavily debated topic in society. He hoped with this organization, he could get the help he needs..for all of them.

“Fence is the first priority then…It would be a lot to hire additional people without some fundraising. The fence is the highest priority so let’s at least use good quality materials for the fence. Nothing will get achieved if we skimp out on the fence” He nodded, figuring of all the things that needed to be done, fence was first, then expansions, then security.

"I agree, the fence needs to be upgraded before we can move ahead with anymore upgrades or additions." Xander replied with a nod. Knowing that they really had to focus on the fence and make sure that it was the best quality they could give the centaurs and of course functional. If Xander was being honest he wasn't fully convinced that the fence around the back of the property was actually very functional or standing that well. Sure they had let it slide because no centaur except for Daniel -and now Alfred- really went back there but that was a huge security issue and now a liability with wild bands of centaur in the area.

"In the morning I'll take Marcus and head the lumber yard. See what type of wood he thinks we should use." Xander suggested. Knowing they had to get things moving and quickly, especially with their funds already tight. These updates were necessary but they'd be pricey. "Maybe you could check online about some new gates too? I know you'll have a bunch of other things going on but we will need those gates to come in if we're going to do the fences." They'd also have to figure out how to keep the centaur away from the fences during construction. Possibly needing to put up temporary fencing to close off different sections of the grounds while they were working. They couldn't risk any of the centaur escaping or getting hurt while they were working and it wasn't something they could do at night since it'd be too dark. It was possible to keep the centaurs in their stalls during construction but with their heat and all he could see some problems arising from confining them.

“You’re right, I’ll oversee things here and keep doing research and planning for the building while you take Marcus with you. Take your company card with you” Alexander nodded as he busted out his laptop to start proper research into gates. I’ll start looking into the prices of everything today, I do want the gates to match of course even if it’s not priority. To not stand out and all” Alexander mumbled to himself as he looked at nearby places for gates. It would depend on the wolf of course but if he had some idea of one’s he liked, then they pick the wolf and find the gate best suited to the wood. The volunteers would hopefully help install the fencing securely to avoid having to pay for the cost of laborers and bringing in too many people, mainly the cost.

"I will." Xander replied with a smile and nod. He'd make sure he took his company card with him when taking Marcus to get the wood for the new fence. They'd be able to get enough to start work on the fence at the lumber yard but he was sure they'd have to put in an order for the rest of the wood they'd need to finish the upgrade. "We'll have to figure out how to section off the grounds to keep the centaur away from the area while we are putting in the new fence. Don't want anyone escaping and getting hurt. I don't think keeping them in their stalls while we redo the fence is a good idea. Especially with the heat getting back into full swing." He added. Though there was also the slight concern of restricting the area that they had of there being more conflict between the groups with there being so many heats again. But he wasn't really sure what else they could do. They did have some smaller paddocks that some smaller groups could be put into, even that might not go over so well though. Usually they were used for centaurs who were in in their quarantine period so they could still get some fresh air.

“That will be a problem..” Alexander nodded as he had to figure out a method for redoing the fence with everyone in heat but not restricting too many areas or restricting the centaurs themselves. “Certainly the fence will need to be done in sections at a time. Close off a small section, fence, close, fence until we get it done. If we close off too much at once, less room for centaurs to move around and mate. With the heat coming in, we should start with the front first maybe? Or would it be better to start towards the back? I think either has its pros and cons but maybe back first since it’s the furthest away and out of view” He pondered out loud

"If we start with the back the only centaurs we'd need to be concerned about are Daniel, Alfred and Mingan. Daniel is usually the only one to go that deep but Alfred would go with him. Mingan might in the hopes of getting back to his tribe or to get a chance at Daniel. He did seem rather interested from their brief interaction. Still... I don't think Daniel would try to leave and Alfred will be more focused on breeding because of Daniel's heat." This would also ensure that they had a safe place to hide when we do the rest of the fence." Xander expressed. Thinking it more logical and safer start with the back of the fence after all.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

“Valid, yes, start with the back area and we can work our way up to the front. Doing the back since less or harder In Our field of  vision. We shouldn’t be too much in their field of vision to cause a problem even if they are rowdy for a few more days. That and monitoring Daniel with the idea that he seemed fertile or whatever it was, that rare thing..sorry..it’s been a long day” He smiled softly, running a hand through his hair

Xander nodded, glad that Alexander agreed with starting with the back. It was better in the end especially with the back fences being the weakest and most needing of the upgrade. Mingan being within the sanctuary now made that even more important than ever, not wanting the other to get even more injured trying to get over the fence or for the tribe he came with to get hurt trying to get to him. "We'll get things moving tomorrow. Marcus and I will go get the lumber we need, you and the other's can pick where we start in the back. Try to get as much of the fence replaced as we can as quickly as we can without making mistakes." Xander said as he settled on a chair in the room. He gave the other a small reassuring smile when Alexander said it had been a long day. "I know. We'll make sure you get some well deserved rest tonight." He mused.

• 1 year later...

Alexander nodded, liking the game plan that they had set out for the day. Tomorrow while Xander and Marcus went out shopping, he would go around the property and see where in the back should be fixed first. Once all of the back was done, they can work their way to the front. No one was going to get hurt on his watch and he wanted to make sure their newest visitor got the rehab they needed and a safe release back to wherever their tribe was. He could only hope there wasn’t an uproar in injuries from this tribe. “good..Good. I’ll get everyone a big breakfast tomorrow..We got a big day ahead” Alexander smiled sweetly, ordering a catered breakfast for delivery tomorrow on his phone

• 2 weeks later...

"Good. Now lets get you to bed before you can start worrying about anything else." Xander mused. Not about to let Alexander worry anymore about things. He reached over and plucked the other's phone from his hands after letting him order the catered breakfast for the employees tomorrow. Then he stood up and pulled Alexander up with him. "Come on, it's not optional." He pulled Alexander towards the bedroom and to bed. They had a really busy day ahead of them and a good night sleep would do them both some good.

“Hey!” Alexander said as his phone was snatched away. There was many things that needed to be done, things he wanted to check out but it seemed his new boyfriend had other ideas all in the effort of making sure he rested. “All right I’m coming I’m coming” Alexander chuckled, in a way appreciating the other didn’t want him to overwork himself. He rubbed his sleepy eyes before getting into bed alongside Xavier. He really should get the rest, he was going to need it…

Xander chuckled softly, tucking Alexander's had under his chin and holding him close. He made sure his boyfriend was asleep before allowing himself to fall asleep. In the morning he was worn by the sound of an alarm clock going off and he groaned. He had slept well but he was not ready for the long day that was ahead of them. Sighing he kissed the top of Alexander's head affectionately before releasing the other from his arms so they could get ready for work. A lot had to get done today. 

Alexander groaned when he heard the alarm the next morning, not wanting to let go of his boyfriend and get the day started. “Do we have to look out for any matings or pregnancies? I don’t think anyone would be that we know of” He yawned, slowly getting out of bed with a bit of a bed head and a sleepy yawn

"I don't think so. No one was really in heat yesterday." Xander replies as he gets up and stretches preparing to get into the shower to help wake up even more. He had been sleeping so well that he really didn't want to get up right now but they had so much to do today that they really did need to get up. As the heat kicks into full swing they'd be able to take note of who didn't come back into heat and they could start checking for pregnancies. As of right now though he was going to say that they probably didn't have any to worry about. "I'll call Marcus when I get out of the shower, make sure he's up and ready to head into town to get the lumber we need for the fence." He adds as he walked towards the bathroom. "Did we want to replace the gates too?" He calls over his shoulder knowing there was so much to do today that they had to start on things asap. Especially if they wanted to get everything done before the weather started to get cold and winter hit.

“No heats, good, they’ll be kicking in again soon maybe..It’s too early for this” Alexander said with a sleepy chuckle as he ran a comb through his hair to try and tame the beast that was his bed head. There was the heat and such going on between the two centaurs and his ‘baby’ but he didn’t remember what they have discussed so far about if his getting pregnant was possible. It was too early to think of this…”We should do the gates while we are in there. I’m grabbing some coffee, want a cup?” He said as he tossed off the shirt he slept in while he went to the kitchen

"Yes, please." Xander replied as he was stepping out of the shower and drying himself. Getting dressed and rubbing his face and trying to get some energy to deal with today. He made the mental note for them to get some new gates while he was out getting the lumbar for the fence with Marcus. As he joined Alexander in the kitchen he was yawning again. "It's going to be a very long day." He groans. Taking the cup of coffee as it was handed to it he sipped at it and sighed happily. "Alright. Do you think you guys can handle the morning routine while Marcus and I go straight to the lumber yard? Head there first thing we'll be able to get back quicker. We'll stop by the supply store on the way back and pick up some new gates. How many do we need?"

"I think I can handle it plenty, I still got the crew thats here. I can handle morning feedings and the morning routines. The catering truck for the crew should be here just before you guys get back. Oh, I did not think to ask if Markus had any food allergies but if he mentions it, I will let him know when you guys get back. I will check any charts for expected heats, I should get those sorted out. Will make things easier to track since most of the centaurs seem to have a regular pattern. Then it might make things easier to track inconsistencies or pregnancies" He yawned, his brain going into work mode already as he stirred creamer and sugar into his cup. "And we have the front gate, the gates on the side, and the gate in the back so lets get like 6 or 8, then we can have backups for repairs without going to the yard"

"Alright, lumber for the fence and eight gates." Xander replied with a nod, pulling out his phone to make note of that. Knowing that he wanted to make sure that he didn't miss anything. Alexander was right after all, the extra gates would be great to have on hand encase one got damaged or if they were able to expand they'd already have gates for the new land. As they drank their coffee and started to wake up things were full force about the business and it wasn't surprising. There was too much going on today and that would be going on for awhile for it not to be. "Yeah, we keep a really good detailed list of heat cycles so it should be easy to keep note of who doesn't come back into heat."

“I will just give it a double check but there shouldn’t be anyone due to going into a heat again until a day or so. We are still tracking our newest one so nothing is concrete on their cycles yet” Alexander sipped at his coffee, not having gone through enough rut cycles with him to have enough to predict an exact date for rutting. It was still hard to believe how far his little one had come. From being always at his side, to having someone and trying to give them more independency.

"Oh, yeah. Daniel had only experienced one heat." Xander replied. Forgetting for a moment that the small centaur was even in that list. They didn't know enough about his cycle to know when or if he'd come back into heat. This first one was so unexpected as it was. He eyed Alexander, knowing Daniel was like a son to his boyfriend. "How are you fairing on the whole Daniel heat thing?"

“It’s…a lot” Alexander said as the cup of coffee was already downed. “Going from him being around me 24/7 to having a centaur he likes and breeds with..I mean I am happy to see him grow up and see someone take interest…But it’s hard to see him drift off even if it’s only a tiny bit and we will always be close” He said as he stared into his empty cup