[LET'S TALK] ASMR, have you heard of it?

YellowMelon

Source:

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

What is ASMR?

An acronym for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response.

Why ASMR?

ASMR videos are said to cause a relaxing, tingling sensation in the head or scalp (a.k.a. “head tingles”) or another part of the body by some people in response to specific stimulating sounds.

List of Triggers:

• Whispers
  • Scratching
  • Tapping
  • Hair Play
  • Shaving
  • Etc.

What is the Proof Behind it?

The science behind ASMR is complicated because not much research has been done on the topic since it is not fully understood. Not everyone experiences ASMR when watching such videos and users report that the sensation usually diminishes after repeated exposure. (Note: It is not sexual in anyway.)

ASMR is being looked into as a tool for relaxation and stress reduction, as it may be proven to be a non-medicinal option for coping with anxiety, insomnia, and panic attacks. There is still a lot more research that has to be done for this to happen, though. (However, I found that tidbit to be interesting.)

What that brief Q&A above for those who aren’t familiar with ASMR, I’d like start talking about it (I'll put my own thoughts about ASMR in a spoiler since I know not everyone would want to read it.):

For me, personally, having watched ASMR videos (and I still do), I don’t experience the tingling sensation. The noises satisfy me, but they aren’t relaxing for me. If I were having a stressful day, I don’t think I’d be relaxed by watching an ASMR video in the middle of my day. I usually watch these videos at the end of the day when I’m destressed. The videos I watch are strictly Food ASMR, although I have watched short compilations of other sounds. What I like about the food videos are always the sounds and looking at the food. They always make me hungry.

For my “triggers,” only certain sounds are satisfying to me (with both food-related and non-food ASMR sounds). Others are cringe-worthy. I am also picky on how the a video looks, since I do watch these videos, not solely listen to the sounds.

What I like:

• Crunching
  • Chewing
  • Tapping
  • Wrinkling (i.e. unwrapping soup)
  • Popping
  • Crunching of ice with water inside

What I dislike:

• Whispers
  • Gum chewing and popping
  • Slime
  • Sticky Sounds (although I find it cool when people eat raw honeycomb)
  • Wet sounds (like lotion and gel)
  • Snow eating

On my own opinion about the potential for ASMR in science, I believe it would be a temporary, albeit well-intentioned, solution to what I mentioned before. Although I don’t know how popular the treatment can be if only a handful experience the sensation of ASMR. However, I think research in this topic, given its popularity currently, is worth progressively pursuing. On that note, I don’t believe such research is urgent. It would be more to get rid of the mystery of ASMR.

Well, that was my information and opinions on this weird topic I decided to share with everyone, and I’d like to know what other people think, especially since I want to know how known ASMR actually is. I’ve read that, while almost everyone has heard of it, a majority don’t understand it’s purpose and don’t watch such videos. (Again, for me, it’s mostly about the food)

So, what I'd really like to know is who familiar with ASMR and if you believe, with the limited research behind it, if it actually works.

(I hope I'm not the only one who finds satisfaction listening to these videos) :In-good-mood:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YellowMelon

• Ryuu_L

• 0ddpill

• confidant_v

My best friend looooooooves her some ASMR! She listened to some girl eating fast food and crinkling the bag for like an hour. I could never do it. I'm with Ryuu_L. I hate those noises. If someone was lip-smacking in my ear for an hour I'd definitely knock their teeth out. These videos wouldn't relax me at all. On the recommendation of my friend I listened to one of people kissing once and while I'm fine with the noise I wouldn't say I enjoyed it.

As far as things like food ASMR... If I wanted to see food I'd watch a food show. like a competition show XD Listening to people eat makes me cringe. Like I can imagine myself sitting across from someone at dinner and they're just eating loudly. I can see myself being like "get out of my face with that."

In conclusion, don't like it. Don't understand it. But who am I to judge? Everyone's got their thing and I'm down with those who are down with ASMR. Get it!

Whispering and the whole mouth sounds/food eating makes me annoyed. Or any repeated small sounds, as I even get annoyed when I hear the clock's ticking;

But for sleep, sometimes relaxing sounds are nice.

i've watched some (many tbh) asmr vids. i don't experience the tingling sensation/relaxing/satisfying it was aiming for. but i have fun watching them. idk but true story. i just like to watch reaction/attitude/gesture of the people who were doing them & that in a way satisfied me (not in a sexual way, mind you). so yeah, kinda enjoyed them a little too much tbh. thanks for sharing!

*wisper wisper wisper*

onionn6

I have heard of this.. I actually like rain sound , it makes me calm.

..... .... have tried litsening to other stuff too XD it was allright. But yeah.

not anymore.. But rain i like, and thunder :D :D

HAHAHAHA i thought it said "pooping" first XDDD I read too fast :p

• 5 years later...

I agree that ASMR can be quite satisfying, and it's intriguing to see how it may have therapeutic potential. It's always great to learn and share thoughts about these unique experiences.

ASMR is quite an intriguing phenomenon, isn't it? It's fascinating how specific sounds like whispers, tapping, or scratching can trigger such relaxing sensations in some people. While the science behind ASMR is still a bit mysterious, it's interesting to see it being explored as a tool for relaxation and stress reduction.If you're into ASMR or curious about different microphone setups and techniques for ASMR recording, you should definitely check out

They provide valuable insights into creating the best ASMR experience.

Edited by CarlosHamilton

• 1 month later...

I guess I like food ASMR videos? I watch them for the recipe itself and I really like the ones where there's no background music or speaking, only cooking sounds. Not sure if that's actually ASMR, but it's the closest I'll get. Other sounds like chewing or slimes, soap cutting (I don't get this one at all) crinkles, lips smacking etc I can't stand. I even cringed just reading some of them in this thread, lol.

Oh, and I also came across a channel of someone who does nailart, it shows the whole process, but I mainly watch the first part where she removes the nails, hearing them drop on the table is nice for some reason, but I definitely don't get that tingly sensation either. I sometimes get it when watching satisfying videos, like cleaning and stuff fitting perfectly in some place, but that's something else entirely.