Yaoi Reading Challenge Discussion Thread | edition 2018

Saga

Do you think the challenge should be limited to BL only?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi :3

I have a question... request.. whatever-you-decide-to-call-it for you ^^;

I'm new to the novels... used to read a lot of fanfictions, though, before I started reading manga. So, can you recommend some novels for task #22 (a light novel) and #52 (a light novel with "supernatural" topic) from the manga challenge?

For #22 I picked Delayed love by Lan Lin and for the other task - It might be a hottie by Hua Lou and City of endless rain by... 朱莉 ._. (I was gonna read both and see which one I like better to use that one for the challenge). But yeah, I have no idea if these ones are good, so anyone who has read them? If they're not good, I'll be glad if you can recommend something enjoyable.. and not too long, if possible ^^)>

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saga

• batista

• auser

• Riki

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

I have a query about task 38 (novel reading challenge) and I'm sorry if someone else has already posted about this.

Task 38 is to "read a novel which has under 2k views on YO".

Did you mean the view count for a BL Novel in the BL Novels sub-forum or is there a counter elsewhere?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Can I use 2 Moons by Chiffon_Cake, a thai BL novel for #28. I have read the english translation on wattpad.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Sorry to bother, but I had two questions to ask about the challenge. My first question is would a manga that isn't classified as BL, but tagged as "boys love subplot" on Bakamanga be appropriate for the challenge? (Said manga would be Demon Diary.) Also could I ask for clarification on #42? Do I have to read the actual chapter that was updated for the manga or a scanlation of a chapter that was updated today (since the actual chapter probably won't be translated for a while). Or just start a manga that happened to updated today? Sorry for such a silly question! I'm aware of how dumb it is, but I just wanted to be sure I was addressing the challenge correctly.

Thanks so much for your help!

excuse me, but could you tell me that "chara" means character?? and i am reading a manga which has may volumes/ parts, so should i read all the parts/ volumes or just one volume would be fine??:Playing with fire:

the manga i am reading is a part of kuroneko series kuroneko kareshi...

- - - Updated - - -

In should I write a dialogue of the character or what the yaoi manga about???

the manga i am reading is a part of kuroneko series kuroneko kareshi...

- - - Updated - - -

In should I write a dialogue of the character or what the yaoi manga about???

hey hey

!

nice to see you participate too! and i am happy you chose one of the manga out of the "kuroneko kareshi series" ;)it's one of my favorites! :D

to come back to your questions...

1. you are right. chara =character

2. for each task, you read one manga suiting the task. you can't choose the same manga or a manga related to a series you already read, a second time for a other tasks. (Which of course doesn't mean you can't read it for your own pleasure ;) )

3. "" means, you write down your favorite line out of the manga. for example:

16. [began: 08.03.2018 ] [Finished: 09.03.2018 ] Read a manga about food, music or art: The Man of Tango

(16) Quote from corresponding task: ”Because this world consists of balance. A relationship where one side gives plenty and the other side takes plenty can’t last.”

you can visit the users profiles who participate and take a look at their notes regarding this challenge. maybe it helps you a little. well for some tasks you have to take a look anyways ^_^

i hope i could help :)

thanx a lot..... i was really confused there..... it really cleared my problems..... thanks

You‘re welcome, dear ^_^

Hi! I hate to ask this again, but would it be possible to get some clarification on #42? Do I have to read the actual chapter that was updated for the manga or a scanlation of a chapter that was updated today (since the actual chapter probably won't be translated for a while). Or just start a manga that happened to updated today? Again, I'm sure is a dumb question, but I just want to be sure so I know what to look out for.

Hi! I hate to ask this again, but would it be possible to get some clarification on #42? Do I have to read the actual chapter that was updated for the manga or a scanlation of a chapter that was updated today (since the actual chapter probably won't be translated for a while). Or just start a manga that happened to updated today? Again, I'm sure is a dumb question, but I just want to be sure so I know what to look out for.

The way the question is worded, i just chose a yaoi manga which happened to update on the day i started the task, because there weren't any further clarifications... i think if there were anything else we should consider, it would be more specific.

The way the question is worded, i just chose a yaoi manga which happened to update on the day i started the task, because there weren't any further clarifications... i think if there were anything else we should consider, it would be more specific.

Thanks so much! That really helps me out ^_^

Hello all!

I have a question regarding manga reading challenge.

As for #23, we have to read a manga that released at the same year as our joining year. So I joined YO at 2011 and happened to have a manga released in Japan in 2011 and got released in US in 2012, but the one I have is the US version which printed in 2012. Can I read it to complete the task or do I have to search for another manga that got printed in 2011? Sorry if it was confusing :(

And what about a manga started in 2007 and finished in 2011? Does it still counted as a 2011 manga?

And for completing #20 a manga recommended by someone, do anyone have any manga to recommend to me? English or Japanese, because I can't speak any other language haha

Thank you!

Hey hey

;)

Nice to see a nother “manga-challenger” ;)

To come back to your first question... I think in regards of release dates and other background info on the manga you want to read, it’s best to depend on the information given on BU (= Baka Updates). They are pretty accurate.

And do you have any Henry you prefer? Or can I recommend whatever I like?

Hey hey
;)

Nice to see a nother “manga-challenger” ;)

To come back to your first question... I think in regards of release dates and other background info on the manga you want to read, it’s best to depend on the information given on BU (= Baka Updates). They are pretty accurate.

And do you have any Henry you prefer? Or can I recommend whatever I like?

Hello dear Batista!

Thank you for answering!

I'll do as you recommend :In love:

And I haven't checked it on BU yet, I'll do it ASAP :Jumping around:

Hmm, as for Henry, I believe I know no Henry up until now so...yoyo5 /jk/

If you talk about genre, I'm fine with anything as long as there're adult-like characters (in terms of appearance and/or age) and no incest (blood brothers) please :8onion74:

But as for the story (angst, tragedy, comedy etc) you can recommend me anything from your favorite manga to series that you're currently reading (*´∇`)ノ

I think I shouldn’t be writing my posts on the phone anymore >.

And of course you’re welcome ;)

Okay so what recommendations... I didn’t know what to pick... I have so many... I left the most famous ones out...

-One manga I read for the challenge, the first time and fell in love with, is “makkurayami de kimi to” it’s a cute, shounen ai manga about a relationship between a manager and his employe who don’t get along at first but come closer with time. ( the cute uke and tsundere seme couple is so cute :D )

- if you are into drama, romance and school life (although they are more in college/ university age) Hana no Mizo shiru is a very nice read! It’s from the awesome Takarai Rihito!

summary:

Out of many coincidences, a new story is born! Only the flower knows

Arikawa had an unexpected encounter with a student from where he studies by giving him a hand when the other tripped... On the same day, on the way home, he accidentally bumped unto him again in the train station and accidentally picked Misaki's flower necklace which seems to have a sentimental value...

- I already recommended this one but when it comes to mature, tough guys ‘Kobi no Kyoujin’ is one of my top fave! It’s a yakuza manga (one of my favorite genres)

- if you are interested in a omegaverse setting, ‘kurui naku no wa boku no ban beta’ stuck into my head because of the dominant omega uke who looks down on the alphas ;) that was really good too...

I don’t know if I can recommend you anything cute, fluffy... I can’t think of anything but I re-read Yuujin recently and that’s one of the funniest manhwa i’ve read so far... also peach love from the same author ;)

If you want some more, tell me ;)

Hiya

! Sorry for the late reply D:

Oops, I thought you were asking me about some Henry out there haha

Turns out it was autocorrect XD

Thank you so much for the recommendations!

I am also a big fan of Kobi no Kyoujin (and Ike Reibun's mangas) and also Kurui Naku no wa Boku no Ban series! (⸝⸝›_‹⸝⸝)‬

I think I'll go with Makkura Yami de Kimi to, it seems great, and I haven't read it yet (*Ü*) As for Takarai Rihito's manga, I haven't touch a single one of it so I think I'll read one (may be Hana no Mizo Shiru) for another mission XD

Yuujin? Could you please tell me where I can read it? I'm looking for some manhwa (not only for the missions though lol) to read for some time now haha

Thank you so much for the titles hun ⸜(*´꒳`*)⸝

Hello all!

I have something to ask again :D

On mission number 43 (Read a Korean manga) and 44 (Read a Chinese manga) am I allowed to read webtoons?

And regarding this one rule ↓

"Titles, other than short DJ's and oneshots [from the manga titles] and short novels [from the novel titles], cannot be enlisted as finished on the same day of starting the series. "

Means that even though I really finished a manga within two hours in the same day, I still have to write the begin and finish date differently?

Thank you!

Oopss, I read this thread more thoroughly just now and a mod-san (I don't remember who sorry) said participants can't read webtoons too much so I think I won't do it (even though I haven't read webtoons for any task yet XD)

/I can't edit my post so sorry I posted multiple entry here :(/

As for the finish time, I think I have to change it all to one day after the begin time XD So the checkers won't have a hard time checking it ‪⸜(*ˊᵕˋ*)⸝‬

I'll look into this thread again for more rules explaination later (* 'ᵕ' )

Thank you~

• 3 weeks later...

I am still in a bind, so I've been restructuring my title list. Can someone tell me how to search for those manga's with low rating in BakaUpdates? I just don't know how to filter such.