A Time to Rise by Tal Bauer [Book Club September 2018]

Racheal

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
i already tagged you in the download thread.

hey, buddy. could you please delete the link you shared with agnesiite? this is to prevent anyone else who not registered to YO find it. you can always tag some one from the actual thread (like i did) : ) if you need more info you can ask
about it. & thanks for helping out!

_____

i kinda like the priest LOL i'm still at 13% mark. i'm taking my time hehee

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• voide

• bondingboys

• lama007

• Racheal

So.... I finished the book. Major spoilers inside the spoiler tag (like the whole book). You've been warned.

I actually had already guessed that Alain's lover was Luca right away based on the sexual tension in their relationship lol and also by the author concealing the name for so long. That bit wasn't a surprise. I really wish Alain had a relationship with Luca instead of new love interest Cristoph. It struck me as odd how Alain was so torn up about Luca for so long then was like "I don't love you anymore" to him. I'm not gonna lie though. I didn't love this book. Something about it just prevented it from going from "okay" to "great!" for me. I liked the twist at the end with Alain becoming a vampire and Lucifer being reborn. That may have been the saving grace of the book for me even if the romantic relationship was disappointing. I also enjoyed Lotario. Possibly the best character.

Hello and wow! Another book club member finished this book! That's great~

Re: Alain chose to move on with Cris and the romance part of the story. Uhhh same feeling here. The romance between Alain & Cris. I still don't really feel this giddiness (whenever the couple I'm rooting for finally end up together) for Alain & Cris. Might be since I've read "Enemies of the State" by Tal Bauer first before reading "A Time to Raise".

In EOS, the couple and their romance were so freaking beautiful! The one of greatest MM romances I've read so far! And I thought, same author so same emotional romance, but alas, not in this book. . . They can't be compared.

Re: Luca. I didn't focus much on his character, not until the Reveal. Also I though he was asexual/demisexual so I had not shipped him with anyone at all. But it still hurt me what had happened to him and the reason Alain blocked their past love from him. And the keyword to unlock it? Dammit! Hurt the worst . . .

And yes! Father Lotario! I like his character, too!

Hello! Totally agree about the romance element. I also end up comparing it to EOS because I just finished it as well. In my opinion it doesn't quite measure up to that series.

sorry I didn't know that >_<. thank you for telling me i be more careful next time>

aah that what you mean.

Actually I thought he was a closet homophobe :p

I know he must be connected to Alain Ex but not it himself

yay another EOS fans

Well you definitely can't compare their relationship with those two. In EOS their feelings grow gradually, they know each other real good first before falling in love, that's why their relationship is so sweet. While Alain & Chris is more an insta lust. Alain saw him the first time and start having wet dream right away :p

Yes! I'm so excited more book club members read EOS, too!

Also agree with

and
's points 100% here!!

And "insta-lust/insta-love"? Not on my top-list for MM novels I wanna read, so might be that's the reason I was not really on boat with their romance in "A Time to Rise". . . DX

I think they can be compared for exactly that reason. I think slow is usually better than insta-love (or maybe I haven't read the right ones). EOS was just a better read for me. :Playing with fire:

Insta-love and shifter novels are perhaps the greatest evils in M/M fiction. There are a few good ones but there are a crap ton of bad ones.

you have to read the executive officer series. It was so good. The chemistry between the MC is awesome. Highly recommended

Reading this book is frustrating. I don't know, maybe I just don't really like this whole Vatican theme, or simply Bauer is not my author... But if it wasn't for the Club I would drop it around the first 20 pages. Now I am near the half and it is still frustrating. Not boring, but insta-love in this book is too far-fetched to my mind. It's fantasy of course but the author is trying pretty hard to make it believable, realistic, with all these details about Vatican. But that's the problem. For a (pseudo)realistic story Alain's insta-lust/love is too unrealistic if you know what I mean.

And one more thing. Cristoph's constant silent whining is irritating. It's like when the author changes to his point of view you almost always stuck with his long thoughts about his miserable and awful past/present. I want to shake him and scream Get a grip, dammit! Hope it will get better soon

Here is my opinion about the book. I haven't read you guys comments yet ..Will read them in a bit

I feel like there are too many things going on in 300 pages of book...so each of the elements in the book are not sharp.The plot is actually very promising and enjoyable to read at first, but the author fails to make it feels real. Alain is not seem skillful as a Knight of Templar. Lotario is somehow ok. He seem to have something special, but that's it. Both of them don't seem special enough to be able to fight the darkness to me.

The author also did not give a clear view of the whole Vatican thing or Swiss guards..their hierarchy.. why the guards are important ....what make them different..I don't see how the guard works or train..All we know is they are stand post in Vatican..and play football..

I also don't feel anything special about Cristoph's personality as Alain keeps describing. He doesn't really talk to Cristoph before he has that dream, so the reason he attached to Cristoph is obviously not the personality to me. Also until the end of the book..I still don't know what make Christoph feels like he doesn't belong to anywhere ..why he is seem to be so angry at everything in the beginning of the book. He mad at Alain he went out and had one night stand with someone..he mad at Alain again and this time want to leave Vatican..but still doesn't forget to stop by at the bar and try to hook up with someone. I seriously don't see anything attractive in his personality at all.

In term of romance, I like first 25 percent of the book..I did think they are cute at first... but then when they suddenly so attached to each other..without any proper reason..to me it's more like insta-lust than slow burn. I don't even feel love between them and don't understand.. which part of Alain that Cristoph fall in love with. I know the author is trying to tell us that the time they spent together in the closet play a part of it ..but I don't feel anything from that.

Same with Luca .. I did suspect that Luca is Alain' lover around half of the book because the author is trying so hard to conceal the name of the lover, so I suspected that Alain's lover is probably still alive, and there is no other possible choices beside Luca... At the end when all Luca's things revealed, Alain's tragic life seem to be a joke to me. His lover is right next to him all the time..just because he cannot remember Alain ..and doesn't like him anymore .. doesn't mean Alain cannot win Luca back or try to find other way to cure Luca...these Luca things show me how weak Alain is. He is good with running away from everything ..and the ending between them is the worst..All these time, Alain keeps acting like his lover is the whole universe to him..and losing him leaves Alain with nothing..but then he just easily get Leca's memory back and told him. I already love someone else...!!! I just cannot get any of these!!!

Good morning my fellow readers!

I just finished the book

:)

my favorite characters were father Lotario and pope Clemente.

Have a wonderful weekend!

:_red_fox 5

okaay. i'm going to post my opinion a bit late huhu sorry guys. kinda not feeling well these past few weeks.

i liked lotario too! [high5] ;D