A Time to Rise by Tal Bauer [Book Club September 2018]

Racheal

u9VJcLV.jpg

History says the Knights Templar were destroyed in 1307.

History is wrong.

Vampires haunt the sewers beneath Rome, revenants desecrate graveyards, ghouls devour helpless passersby, and incubi stalk dark alleys and seedy nightclubs in Italy’s capital. Deep in the Vatican, a brotherhood exists, sworn protectors of the earth, and they stand firm against monsters from the dark depths. Operating in secret and silence, they protect our world from the sinister, the etheric, and from the evils that exist beyond the Veil.

But it’s a lonely life, and Alain Autenberg knows that more than most. His lover was ripped from him years ago and he vowed never to get close to another soul again. Even when the loneliness presses down on him, and his empty heart cries out for something more.

Something more comes in Cristoph Hasse, a new soldier arriving in Rome to serve in the Pontifical Swiss Guard. Young, brash, and fitting in at right angles everywhere he goes, Cris struggles in the murky, deceptive labyrinth of the Vatican. Propelled forward by a past he can’t understand, Cris collides with Alain, and both men crash headfirst into the darkest secret of the Vatican… and of the world.

Genre: Fantasy Romance, Vampires

Published: May 2nd 2016

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• voide

• bondingboys

• lama007

• Racheal

let me start w: the book cover is pretty cool (still not a fan of the vamps tho). i hope i can enjoy the read. thanks

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
for the book!!

let me start w: the book cover is pretty cool (still not a fan of the vamps tho). i hope i can enjoy the read. thanks
for the book!!

Yeah, that what I was thinking too when I see this one won the vote poor voide..it has to be vampire >

I remember my first or second year at the university all these religion/ancient orders/fantasy-based on novels were very popular. It's a pity, but I don't remember any of them being BL XD

Hope this one will be interesting :)

the link is in the download section. this is only for discussion. i think you know where it is :D

i need someone to 'hold my hand' through out this journey LOL

but perhaps they're all had homoerotic subtext undertone? :D happy reading to you too.

Maybe at that time I was just a little too "innocent" to notice that kind of subtext undertone :D:D:D

Happy reading, everyone:_red_fox 4

oh how i missed the 'old days' innocent me too :p

this is not related but i need to cheer up (bc this is the vamps huhuu) hope this is okay

;D

Thank you

:] what would i do without you.

*goes and looks for the link*

Edit!

I got the book now :]

if you still can't find it, i will tag you directly to the thread. but i give you the honour to search ;D

I have read this one before and reading the synopsis brought back some memories xD.

My general thoughts: it was a nice one especially if you like mystery, thriller, and fantasy. Also the vampires are not glamorized here like in Twilight etc. but are actually portrayed as monstrous. I had a constant case of deja vu when I read this but still cannot pinpoint why. Also the ending...

I will wait for everyone to read so we can discuss ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

my friend! you've read this? ha thank you for mentioning T*light. i actually expected that! thank goodness it wasn't like that (i don't read the book & not intended to lols) but please keep coming even tho you've read it. you can put spoiler under spoiler tag : ) [the only MM book that had vamps MC i've read until finish was Hemovore by JCP & his name was jonathan ha]

haha yes that book always comes to mind whenever someone mentions a vamp book to me xD I have read so few MM vamp books and this was one of those (haven't read hermovore but will check it out). You can rest assured the vamps here were not the glittery ansgty ones like in twilight but actually dirty, smelly, violent, bloody, and nasty night creatures. The MC hunts these creatures that go bump in the night xD (kind of like Supernatural series I guess, so my dejavu might be because of that). Also, some other things

This book has slow burn and such a push and pull between the two main characters that I just wanted to push them together to kiss already...

Also beware there is an attempted rape scene in the book with an elderly priest which was really sickening.

The ending was a cliffhanger (can't wait to discuss that with you guys) and it seemed the story would continue, but I am not sure anymore.

This is a nice book but I actually liked Whisper and Enemies of the State better (also would recommend you read them especially Whisper. that book took over my life for a few days and still makes me think).

i owe you 2 books to discuss already (acclamation & choking hazard* lul) & now i added another 1. i'll come to it, i'll try hehe.. wow, i liked you. you know what i like/dislike. anything you mentioned including under the spoiler tag were my least fave stuff & i try to avoid reading such theme in the book, so thanks ;D

(this is my 1st tal bauer book. i wanted to read that too but i see most voters gave this higher points, so i succumbed haha)

you are welcome. I am glad I warned you ahead of time so now you can skip when you come across that particular scene.

I think Tal Bauer is a good author and would definitely recommend you read more of his books, especially Whisper and Enemies of the State. This one is just not my personal fav by him but you never know you might like it;)

haha yes our list of books for discussion keeps getting bigger (please add HQA there too xD)... but hang in there friend we will get there in time.

Oh,

, you didn't want to read this? But you gave it 4 points, right? Why's that? XD haha

I reaaally wanted Whisper to win because the reviews in GR said it is a really good book so maybe I'll read that after this :)

Oh,
, you didn't want to read this? But you gave it 4 points, right? Why's that? XD haha

I reaaally wanted Whisper to win because the reviews in GR said it is a really good book so maybe I'll read that after this :)

is not a big fan of vamp lol , but he try to go out of his comfort zone.. I think

BTW, he gave it 3 point ;D

The video is hilarious voide >

you already read it !! you will have to wait for us then..

I do think about changing the rule of when we can start discussing the book but will ask you guys opinion later ..

is my saviour hehe thanks, buddy. yeah
i'm not a big fan but i think i'll try. the only MM book that had vamp as an MC that i actually read till the end was Hemovore by JCP. bc he was not like the vamp that i knew (less creepy & sparkling? hehe) but i'm now intrigued. bc
said the MC was such a badass kicking the vamp asses &
said it was a slow burn. something i was look forward to :D

I just read the executive office series about a week ago so I didn't want to vote for any of Tal Bauer's series that sounded similar... so it had to be the vampire one for me. Looking forward to reading it!

i can't believe i just found it yesterday !!! so much energy, so much sass LOL you can see the passerby faces like 'what the heck??!' huhuu

it was okay, buddy. i think anyone can voted any book that they wanted to read : )

yes I will wait for you guys to read... I especially want to discuss the ending so I will hang in here xD

you should definitely read Whisper. highly recommeded! It took over my life for a while and I think if I had to rate Tal Bauer's books then I would call it his best one so far.

haha yes you should give it a try especially because of the slow burn. I sometimes read titles that have some themes that don't appeal just to challenge myself and I have been surprised a few times with actually liking them

, I have to ask, did you read the 1st edition or the 2nd one? Or are they no difference aside the new cover? But I thought, there would be an expanded scenes for the 2nd edition? Or the expanded scene is only
???

Thank you

:*

Aaaah, that totally makes sense

. The last time I read something about vampires was on Carry On by Rainbow Rowell and... well... the vamps there are not... the scariest... someone could say haha.

I want to but 950 pages? That's so long!! I mean, I read ICoS and it is a lot longer than Whisper but still; And I also have the same question as
, about the differences between the first and second edition, do you know? :)

Anyway, started chapter 1 and it has a lot of big words (for me), so it will take me some time to finish it :)

For me, Baz in "Carry On" was more like one of those Vamp!Draco fanfics: grumpy outside, softie inside, needed blood but decided to hunt little creatures underground instead, and still freaking cool and handsome~

(Also, hello, Riki? Did you know that there would be the 2nd book for "Carry On" 2019/2020?)

Re: this 2nd edition "A Time to Rise", still need lama to confirm, but I think I will reread this book in its 2nd ed.~~