The factory (Private)

ZX-MetalMonster

Ever since the war had started and even more since they had all come to the factory the fighting never stopped, the sound of distant gunfight and cannons never died out and no one was given the luxury of forgetting how close the enemy had come. However, it wasn't always up to Bram to stand in the front lines along with his comrades and now, as he and the rest of the crew headed back to the industrial region that had become a makeshift home, he spared the chaos they left behind no thought.

Looking through the sight he studied the landscape and occasional buildings they passed by and could recognize, despite the limited view a gunner had that they wouldn't be traveling for much longer. Before he had a chance to consider how he would past the time once back at the factory though one of the machines that drove in formation with them halted and their commander ordered they do the same.

A moment passed in silence while information passed between the tanks but then a number of soldiers moved outside and gathered around a map spread out on one of the vehicles. Bram followed his commander out but not to accompany the man to where the others were seemed to be disusing something but so he could seat himself on top of the turret.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZX-MetalMonster

• virtualoo

(forgot his name, edit later) looked about the passing landscape, seeing nothing of interest yet at least in this area. He hoped for a passing animal at least to break the monotony of barren war-ridden landscape. It was always nice to see at least one non-army person or an animal at best. It made him smile..strengthen more his resolve to fight. To fight for a peaceful war free land..someday. He hoped he would see it in his lifetime..that would be the best.

Everyone seemed to stop, wondering what was going on. He followed everyone as far as he needed to go, wondering why they stopped. If they finished discussing, he could try to do a quick tank inspection or something. He liked to see the tanks in only their best shape..well as much as his knowledge allowed him to do. The last things they needed was to break down for a minor problem anyone could have fixed.

Comfortably placed on top of the tank, Bram was tempted to pull out a cigarette after the discussion seemed to drag on. However he only sighed and combed his fingers through his hair in stead as it was left loose to fall to his shoulders now. To pass the time he observed the area around them, empty but still green and soothing, and then his eyes moved to their vehicle.

The machine was in good shape for it's age but most of the resources and workers the factory had were for the tanks so it made sense. The only damage that could be found on the machine was what had been caused in the latest battle and Bram frowned at that. Some of it were only scratches, some ruined paint, but he disliked to see even that.

Timothy got really bored with the conversation as much as he tried to pay attention. He figured he can listen while getting stuff done right? He can be useful and listen to the ther shoulders conversing about the next move. And he was going to do exactly that. But the question was what did he do with himself to be useful like he wanted?

Maybe a quick touch up on the tanks to keep him busy..

Timothy got a rag from his pocket and got to work, trying to buff out some spots as much as he could with what was on hand. Others seemed to share the feeling of boredom, looking up briefly at the tank he was working on. He seemed all too bored or at least agitated by the discussion taking so long. He didn't want to interrupt the discussion of the others nearby so he kept quiet, going back to work.

It wasn't long before Bram was becoming annoyed with the hold back, besides only having to wait he knew the men conversing would have bad results. The last time he had found himself in the situation their commander rushed them all back into the tank and before he'd known it they were heading back into the heat of the battle. He knew there wasn't much he could do though except be irritated, which he already was.

Searching for a distraction he noticed his comrade who seemed to be looking for ways to pass the time as well and climbed down to stand on the ground beside him. As there weren't that many soldiers operating the tanks, Bram already knew the man but hadn't talked to him much before.

-"They sure aren't in a hurry." He commented, looking to start a conversation.

Timothy was hard at work..well he likes to think he is. He is just buffering out a few scratches for busy work. Better than sitting there doing nothing while everyone was talking. What was there for him to do now? There is only so much he can do with the tanks..

Timothy soon heard a voice next to him, seeing it was the guy from up on the tank just a moment ago. He was glad someone voices the same opinion in his head that he was certainly not going to say out loud. "Yeah..pretty boring if you were to ask me" He said with a small quiet chuckle.

Bram nodded in agreement and leaned on the hull of the tank, very sure that he wasn't a nuisance to the other man.

-"That's for sure. I just hope we can all go home once they're done." He commented and his gaze drifted off to direction they'd come from. The battlefield was too far in the distance and the bumps and curves of the landscape prevented him from seeing any of the chaos he was searching for with his eyes. However, even this far away explosions could be heard periodically, though the sound was barely audible.

-"I've seen you around, I can't remember your name though." Bram added as he looked back to the other man and this time studied his features more carefully.

Timothy nodded in silent agreement about the wish to go home..or at least somewhere peaceful. He wanted a nice place away from any fighting..A place where everyone knew one another and could be friends. Even if he couldn't have that..All he wanted..was to be happy. Be happy with someone in a nice quiet little home somewhere..

"Same here..Its Timothy, but call me Tim. Timothy sounds like I am a small fragile boy" He said with a small smile but he meant it. Who feared the almighty power of Timothy the soilder? It didn't sound very intimidating..rather childish in nature.

Even with the explanation Bram didn't understand what there was to dislike about his comrades full name. He smiled though and saw no reason not to be a bit of a nuisance.

-"How about Timmy instead of Tim?" He suggested but winked to let the other man know he was only joking. He only hoped his comrade had a sense of humour and wouldn't misinterpret any of this.

With his hand extended he took a step closer and smiled a bit wider. "I'm Bram." He introduced himself formally even though he was sure they'd at least exchanged a few words in the past.

Timothy gave him a light playful punch to the arm with a small smile. "I would like to see you try and call me Timmy.." He teased, poking fun back at him. This guy seemed pretty cool, having a decent sense of humor. Timothy had a good feeling he could get along well with this guy if he got to get to know him better.

Timothy was glad to finally know the other guys name, putting his hand out for a handshake. He hoped to get to know the other more beyond the few words they had exchanged between each other. He could use a good friend out here that was not a huge chunk of war machine metal..

Bram grinned at his comrades response that was equally as playful as his own previous comment. Of course he planned to push his luck and call the other man by the name he liked even though he was warned not to.

Creating bonds like he hoped to do now came naturally to Bram and he never felt like he had enough people around him who he could call his friends. Especially now that the war was at it's most brutal point and so many of the people close to him were lost in the heat of the conflict, he wanted desperately to find more support and fill the gaps that were created even though that was near impossible.

He had nothing important or intelligent to say but he wanted to continue talking with the other man, this is why despite initially being impatient he was disappointed to see the negotiations were over. With a pat on the shoulder from his commander who informed him with a subtle smile that they wouldn’t be returning to the front lines, he climbed on the hull of the tank.

-"I hope they've decided you can go back to the factory now too. We can continue our conversation when we get there." He said to the man before finally returning into the vehicle and returning to his place.

"I'll be watching you" Timothy said with a teasing smile as he looked at Brams grin. He had a bad feeling that Bram was going to give him a bad time with his name but it was nice to get a close feeling to someone. It was nice to have what he hoped would be a friend. A friend would be nice among the the battles of war.

Timothy was happy when it seemed that the negotiations would be over for now. "I'll see you there" He said with a small friendly type of salute. This had definitely got to be friendship right? He looked for the officers, wondering if he was returning as well as he went back to his station.

(bleh, so short T.T)

All who were free to return home gathered back into their machines and were back in motion in no time and the few unlucky crews for who this run was not yet over staid behind, much less enthusiastic and more sluggish as they fired up their engines.

Bram knew he should have felt compassion for his comrades and been less happy knowing they were staying behind but he couldn't banish the small smile that had appeared on his lips. He was simply glad to be away from danger himself and had things to look forward to back at the factory.

It wasn't a long drive after that and soon the tanks were lined up by the garage and a number of other places as there was little space left around the main building of their makeshift town.

Bram sighed and stretched once he was outside and stood beside his tank. He searched with his gaze for the man he'd just met but also started to walk slowly to a part of the factory where he knew he would find people he normally spent time with.

(No worries, it's fine)

Timothy was soon given the o.k to head back, his current run being over as of right now. Normally he was happy with this, he could relax and enjoy some quality quiet time away from the fighting. Now he had more of a reason to be happy this time around..Now he had a friend who was waiting for him. A friend who was looking forward to his company...That alone was enough to make him smile to himself as he readied to leave.

He started the trip back, the trip feeling like it easily passed by without a problem or feeling like a long length of time. At last he was here and once he had the chance, he started to look for his new friend. Bram..he wondered where Bram would be around this time. He definitely arrived before him..maybe the tanks?

Timothy started to make his way to the tanks and his suspicions were correct. Bram was outside his tank, looking pretty relaxed and seemed to be searching for something. "Hey..Bram!" He said with a wave, making his way towards him.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Bram was glad to see his comrade and smiled a bit as he walked across the open space to meet him half way through the tank yard. He was in no hurry and moved slowly, taking off the top part of his uniform so the bright evening sun wouldn't bother him as much.

-"I was just wondering where you ended up." He commented when only a few steps were left between him and his new friend and placed a hand on his upper arm to lightly tug him along and encourage him to follow him.

-"I think we'll have to gather back inside the factory later, do you have anything planed until then?" Bram asked to make sure he wasn't being a nuisance to the other man when he's suppose to be doing something else.

"Not far away" Timothy said with a small laugh, wiping some sweat from his forehead. The first thing on his mind was hoping he didn't reek too much from all the work of today. Not like it mattered right? Bram did not seem to mind..or at least say anything about it. Even if Bram did mind about his hygiene, they were probably both dirty enough together.

Timothy found himself being pulled along lightly by Bram's arm, not fighting it. He started walking by the others side, not sure of their current destination. "Plans? None that I can think of no.." Timothy said with a light shrug. There was nothing important that needed to be done this second or anything at all when he thought it over. Hey, it meant getting to hang out with Bram so he didn't mind that he had nothing to do.

Bram's lips quirked into a short lasting bright smile at his comrades answer however he slowed down his pace.

-"Sorry for being pushy, I tend to be in a rush when we come back from a long assignment." He said as explanation for his haste to lead them to the more lively area by the factory where make shift shops had been built.

-"I usually go to some run down place to have a drink and look for people I know, that's where I was heading just now." Bram said as a suggestion to where they can go as he was for now leading them without knowing if the other man agreed with where he wanted them to end up. He found it easy to act naturally around the other and at moments that meant he got carried away and acted like they knew each other very well even though they had just met. He was aware of this mistake he was making though and tried to correct it.

Timothy looked up at Bram as he was apologizing for being 'pushy' towards him as they walked. He figured the other meant well and was not trying to be pushy by any means. "No worries" He said with a small smile, wondering where he was being guided to as he said it. It was true the other was guiding him and he was willingly following him to who knows where.

"Nothing wrong with that" He said with a smile in return, looking forward to a drink. Now seemed like a good time to drink one, getting to know a friend over a nice cup of whatever was inside. Timothy figured wherever they would go would be fine, trusting Brams judgement in drinking places.

Bram gave a soft smile at the agreement and proceeded to lead the way to the place he had in mind. It wasn't far from where his crew had parked the tank and he was glad they wouldn't have to walk a great distance right after arriving home.

-"How long have you been here?" He was curious and found no reason not to question the other man about a few things that weren't too personal. Fresh faces appeared at the factory every few months and though he knew Tim must had been there for a while since he'd seen him around before Bram was curious if his comrade had come there years ago like himself or more recently.

"How long have I been here..?" Timothy asked as he had to think on it for awhile. How long has it actually been since he first came here? He felt like it was not too long ago that he first started but he was here a good amount of time so far..at least he liked to think that way. "I would say it has been about..almost a year maybe, I kind of lost track" Timothy said with a small laugh. He did not mind forgetting, feeling Bram is a veteran and been here since forever.

"How about yourself? Been here awhile?" He asked with a small smile. Timothy figured the answer would be something like a long time but he was wondering how long exactly that he had been there.

-"I've been here for ages." Bram answered momentarily but knew the other man must had been hoping for a more serious reply and so added up the years in his head. "For about eight years, give or take a few months. I lived in the area for most of my life though, in a town close by here." He thought back to the house he'd lived in as a child, the old buildings strung along the stone paved streets and the neighbors and school mates who were now scattered throughout the war torn country or gone altogether. Bram laughed softly at himself, it was so silly to remember these things.

In a matter of a few minutes they arrived at the place he had chosen for them to visit. He knew the small space very well and headed straight for the spot he usually occupied.

"What was your town like..?" Timothy asked in an attempt to make conversation. He wished he could share more about his hometown, only remembering the rubble that was his town. So much destruction...He didn't want to think about it right now. "Is it still standing..?" He asked quietly.

He was glad when they finally arrived at the place for drinks. Timothy thought a drink could be used right now. To get his mind off the war and factories for even a moment...

-"It was a small place, I wouldn't say there was anything special about it, other than it was where I grew up. I'm not sure if it's till there, I haven't gone in that direction..."The truth was Bram made sure never to venture there, preferring not to know the faith of the town. "I live close to the garage now, they say they've put me there so I can respond quickly if they need me, but that's never happened and I'm just tuck in a noisy place now." He realized only in the end that he was complaining.

-"Where did they put you?" Bram wondered how much space there was left around the factory and where someone who'd come there recently would have been placed.

Timothy thought for a moment as he tried to think how far outside the factory he actually was. "I would have to guess around a mile and a half outside the factory. Pretty close all things considering I guess..." He said with a small shrug. It was close probably considering the situation and arriving to this only a year ago or something like that.

He finally got a sense of the place they were drinking, looking around the building. "Seems nice enough. Drinks any good?" He asked with a very small laugh.

-"In my opinion yes, but I'm very easy to please." Bram admitted with a subtle shrug. He looked away from his comrade and shifted his attention to the watch on his wrist for a moment to see how much free time they had left. It seemed they could spend a long time here before having to head off to join the rest of community inside the factory.

He waved his hand to draw the waiters attention and though it was unnecessary because he came there so often, he said his order.