A Collection Of Short Roleplays (Yukio & Panda)

pandamonium

Steron hummed, Pleased that Esben had praised him but his expression changed when Esben mentioned the mountain cats. "You have got to be kidding me," if the mountain cats were that observant, would they be able to see how his palms sweat whenever he told a lie? Or how he bit his bottom lip whenever he was nervous. Steron had to try his best not to do those in the mountain cats territory then.

"Mountains are hard to climb, he grumbled. "And I'm not as fit as you." Steron looked at the mountain where the cats resided, it did look pretty steep.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pandamonium

• Yukio Takamiya

"I'm not. They have sharp eyes and ears. Much better than wolves. They're also a lot harder to fool and aren't very trustworthy of strangers. They're also loners. We'll need to be more alert, but don't worry no harm will come to you while I'm here." He gave Steron a reassuring smile.

With a shift of his bags, he turned to Steron. Growing annoyed of the others complaining, but somewhat happy to hear him complain than just having him sulk. "Fine. I'll carry you for the rest of the climb if it'll shut you up."

He bent down to his knees. "Hop onto my back and hold on tight."

Steron grinned widely, Esben had said to 'hop' on, then he shan't hold back. Steron literally jumped onto Esben's back and latched his arms around the bear's neck. "Giddy up! On forward!" He exclaimed and pointed to the front with his finger. He doubt that Esben would feel his weight at all though, since he was 'small' and resembled a 'twig' while the bear was as buff as a rock. But it was worth a try to annoy the bear by jumping though and he'd bet that addressing him like a horse would increase the effect.

Esben held back a snicker at Steron jumping into his back. He should've expected as much from the kid. He was smart and knew how to annoy him. With a sigh, he stood up. "Glad to see you in a good mood. You're annoying when you sulk."

Looking upward to the long climb. They'd probably make it by dusk and stay the night at the top, but that didn't seem so bad having the company of a stubborn kid.

"Really? I thought most people preferred obedient kids," Steron said thoughtfully forgetting that Esben was also a kid himself. He tightened his legs around Esben's torso and grinned to himself. No one had ever carried him like this before, not even his own father. Esben was in his own way starting to seem dear to Steron being the only one to ever treat him like he existed. Steron liked feeling pampered which was how Esben made him feel like. Esben was the only one who gave him the attention he wanted unlike his own parents who ignored him whenever he sulked.

Perhaps meeting Esben was also one of the reasons why Steron didn't want to leave. Esben took care of him when he needed to be taken care of and he relied on Esben to survive in this foreign world. Steron placed his head on Esben's shoulder and closed his eyes, he felt comfortable. If only Esben let him stay... As he thought of this, Steron fell asleep.

"I'm not gonna lie, having someone that is obedient would be nice. No arguing, but you'd never know how they're feeling. They'd bottle everything up and just do what you tell them to. That makes me sad. It's as if they don't consider themselves anything more than a servant."

They were getting closer to the mountain cats territory.

He felt Steron's rhythmic breathing on his shoulder. He must've dozed off. He smiled. For all the trouble the kid was, he enjoyed the company. Bring in his home was lonely. Nobody waited for him there...He came home and he'd just be alone. A small pang of pain hit his chest. He frowned. Could he be feeling ill?

As Steron slept, he dreamt. He dreamt of his parents spending time with his younger sister happily, as if they hadn't noticed how he had gone missing. They went on walks together and took her out of the country on a vacation. Steron felt his tears flow, he closed his eyes and turned away. However when he reopened them, the scene had changed. He was now at school watching a few of the boys talking. They said that it was so nice now that he was gone. Didn't they feel the slightest guilt for pushing him into the well? Steron wanted to wake up.

He opened his eyes which were wet from his tears. Esben had stopped moving, were they at the top already? Steron wiped at his eyes and stared at the night sky. Were they all happy that he was gone? Was his dream telling him the truth? Steron couldn't help but wonder.

When nightfall fell, Esben had no choice, but set up camp. He felt something wet on his back. When he turned his head, he saw tears streaming down Steron's face. He didn't know what to do. When he woke up, he cleared his throat and set him down.

"It's dark. We might as well set up camp."

After seeing everything and trying to get a for strayed, he kept his eyes on the two rocks and his back to Steron. He needed to know why Steron had cried.

"Why were you crying?"

Steron sat down on the grass when Esben let him down. He looked down and played with his fingers,"it was nothin, just a bad dream,"he replied quietly. Whatever happened back at his world, Steron had learnt to stay quiet and accept it all. But he didn't think that it would affect him so much to be forgotten. If he did go back, would everyone act as nirmal? Like as if he hadn't disappeared at all? Steron shook his head to clear his thoughts, he didn't want to think about it. "Were you tired? Carrying me up the slope for so long,"he asked Esben, partly because he felt guilty, partly because he wanted to change the subject.

Esben finally was able to get the fire started and leaned back. He found it annoying how Steron wouldn't just say what was bothering him. How could he be able to help him when he didn't even know rust was wrong? No solutions come when you can't look at your problem from a distance.

"It's annoying when you don't say what's wrong. So quit trying to change the subject. Obviously it wasn't just a bad dream. What were you seriously crying about? Tell me."

Digging through his bags, he pulled out some food and handed it to Steron.

"We have all night. So just start from the beginning."

Steron sighed. Why was it only Esben who would care? Why couldn't everyone else do the same? "I dreamt that I had been forgotten,"he started. "No one bothered to look for me and my family enjoyed themselves for the first time, without me there." The tears started to fall again,"the boys who pushed me into the well hadn't an ounce of guilt and was glad that I had gone." Steron turned to look at Esben,"tell me, do you think that my dream is telling me the truth?" He was so very afraid that nobody actually cared. This dream made him suspect that it could be true based on the way he was treated by both family and peers.

Esben gave a soft sigh, pulling out a bottle of now cold tea and took a sip. That explained so much now. How hee was moody, unwilling to go. He feared being forgotten and that no one would care about him. He pulled Steron close to his chest.

"Some people never realize how important someone is until they're gone...I'm sure that your family misses you dearly and regret not treating you better. Those bullies must be racked with guilt over their actions. Some people may seem terrible, but no one is completely bad. Just like a good person isn't completely good. We're all imperfect...we make mistakes and hurt each other, but that doesn't mean we don't care. I know I'll miss you when you leave. I'll regret being mean to you those times you've gotten me annoyed...but if it'll make you happy...if we find a way to take you back home and it turned out I was wrong, just know you'll have a home waiting here."

He wiped away the tears and smiled. "So don't cry anymore."

Steron was a little shock when Esben pulled his head to his chest but he relaxed into the bear's warmth. Listening to Esben made him feel better, it did make sense to him. Upon hearing Esben's next words, Steron sat up abruptly and looked at the bear,"you mean it?"he asked. "You'll welcome me back if no one wants me over there?" Steron smiled at Esben and gave the bear ahug,"thank you,"he said. "You have no idea how grateful I am."

Esben scratched the back of his head, nervously. "Well...Yeah. I'd feel bad if you didn't have a home to go to. But I don't want you keeping things from me. It's annoying trying to guess what's wrong. I can't read your mind, so you'll need to tell me. Got it? That's the only condition I have."

He sighed as he finished the rest of the tea. Giving a loud yawn, he settled down a cloth and pulled out a blanket. "I'm tired. Even though I promised an entire night of talking, I'm sleeping. Goodnight."

Steron frowned, just when he thought that Esben didn't mind him being there, he went ahead and said that it was because he felt bad. Grumbling, Steron turned over to the other side and sulked. After a while though, a small smile appeared on his face. Steron turned over again to look at the bear's sleeping form and listened to his soft snores. Slowly, he climbed on top of the bear and lay there till he fell asleep.

Esben awoke to the sounds of birds chirping and the sun hitting him in the face. As he slowly took in his surroundings, he felt a slight weight on him. On closer inspection he saw it was Steron. A bright blush spread from his cheeks to his ears and he quickly sat up. Taking a bottle of water and hoping it down. Why was he blushing over that?

Steron awoke to the ground jerking beneath him. Still a little blur to his surroundings, Steron felt it weird that the ground could move. Was it an earthquake? He got up abruptly and looked around in panic only to see that he was atop Esben. "Oh...sorry,"he mumbled, feeling embarrassed, he got off. Steron berated himself for climbing on top of Esben the previous night, what on earth was he thinking? Still, the bear had been very soft and Steron slept well for the first time in many nights. "Where are we exactly?"he asked breaking the uncomfortable silence.

Esben moved over to the bag and pulling out some food for breakfast. "We set up camp close to the peak. We should be there very soon."

He handed Steron a wooden mug filled with tea.

"We should head out after breakfast. So eat up."

He gathered his food in silence and began eating. Thinking about Steron on his chest. He was light and warm. It was rather adorable how hee slept. He sipped mid-chew. What did he just think?

Steron sipped at his tea. They were close to the peak which means that they should be reaching the mountain cats very soon. He would have to think of a believable story to tell them. If he told the wolves if how the land was like, perhaps he could just tell the cats of how the people were like. When the cats and wolf met, they could share what they heard and if the cats suspected the story he told the wolves, Steron would be long gone by then. "What are you going to trade with the cats?"he asked out of the blue.

Esben munched on his bread and turned to Steron. "Some smoked fish and herbs. They can't really fish here and certain herbs don't grow here, so they will need what we have."

He had enough smoke fish stored for the winter, so he didn't have to worry. He sighed after finishing his bread and tea.

"Let's head out. I wanna get out of here before dawn tomorrow. We'll pull an all nighter to reach to foxes tomorrow afternoon."

"Okayy,"Steron dragged out his reply. He helped Esben with the packing up and followed the bear up the mountain.

Hours later, they finally reached the peak and Steron slumped down on the ground, exhausted. He really was unfit, in this world at least. He'd be willing to bet that none of the guys at school are able to hold out in this world as long as himself. Too many mountains and forestry, perhaps he would be as buff as Esben by the time he got back. At least he hoped so.

Esben set their bag down and sat down besides Steron. He smirked. "Exhausted, little one?"

He couldn't help but tease Steron. He found him somewhat adorable. There he goes again, thinking such a thing. He shook his head to get rid of those thoughts. He must be getting attached. He felt a squeezing in his chest. No. He must not get attached. He heard a soft rustle, standing up he faced where the nose came from.

In response to Esben's question, Steron looked up at the bear and muttered,"stop smiling, I know I'm weak alright." The rustle from the trees too caught his attention and he turned to face the direction. Standing up, Steron swept the dirt from his pants and went closer to Esben. Soon, a person emerged from the trees. Or to be precise, a resident cat. 'Guess I'd better start praying,"Steron mumbled.

Holding back a chuckle from what Steron said, hee cleared his throat ands held a serious expression.

"Hello. We're just passing through on our way to see the foxes."

He dug around in his bag until he pulled out a two medium sized bags and held them or for the cat.

"I hope they're to your liking."

The mountain cat flicked a ear and took the bag. Opening the bag, his eyes lit up,"just what we need, we were running out on herbs. I'll take you to see our queen." After speaking he gestured for them to follow him and went into the cluster of thick trees.