A Collection Of Short Roleplays (Yukio & Panda)

pandamonium

The Traveler and The Bear

Name: Esben

Hobbies: fishing, weaving and making jams

Appearance: tall and muscular from years living in the woods. Tan with Brown hair and intimidating brown eyes. Looks older than he actually is. Has certain bear characteristics like ears, tail and tough skin.

Bio: a Kodiak bear by nature, he is larger than most bears. He's a skilled lumberjack and hunter. Self-reliant, he is capable of making most things he needs. Rather quiet since he lives alone and rarely interacts with others. He learned his skills from his parents.

When he turned fifteen, it was time for him to leave his family behind and make a home for himself and his possible future mate. Now over a year later, Esben had built himself a cozy cabin in the depths of the woods. A good distance away from the abandoned well that separated his world from the human world. The abandoned well worked as a wall of sorts. Once a creature left the 'wall' they would turn into their true form against their will. Which could lead to death for any creature who left the realm behind the wall that laid by the abandoned well.

As winter grew near, Esben needed to gather enough food and supplies to survive the cold days ahead. During the winter, his body was greatly impaired. His mobility was slowed dramatically and his senses dulled. Going out like that would be a death sentence. So in the early morning, he did inventory to see what he would need. Gathering his tools and satchel, he went out to be greeted by the brisk morning air.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pandamonium

• Yukio Takamiya

Name:Steron

Description:blonde hair, oceanic blue eyes, pale skin. He has a petite build and smaller than most boys his age. Unlike Esben, he looks younger than his age is.

Dislikes:dense individuals, dirt

Personality: Steron is what some people would call stubborn. Upon making up his mind, none can persuade otherwise. He is rather cautious of the people around because of past traumas. His petite build attracted unwanted teasing and bullying, because of this he learnt to protect himself.

Bio:Borned in a well-to-do family. Often isolated once the bullying started and he developed a cold personality. His family knew nothing about what he went through everyday and took his distancing from them as a phase.

Steron bade his mother goodbye for the day solemnly and left the house for yet anothet horrible day of school. But he was used to it, the bullying had gone on ever since he first started studying. But recently, it started occurring less often. The bullies had learnt not to mess with him once he started defending himself. However, once in a while, they came in large numbers and Steron would be left beaten and broken. His belongings went missing but he knew not to look for them, it would only get more troublesome if he did.

Just then, he felt a pebble hit the side of his head and he winced in pain. "Hey pretty boy! Whose girl did you steal today?" A large boy shouted from afar and his friends snorted. It was as they say. The girls showered him with attention, which was partly why theguys despised him. But he didn't ask to look this way. Eventually with time, he started to avoid the girls and they too left him alone.

Steron lifted a hand and wiped off the blood that had dripped from his wound. He ignored them and continued to walk forward. Although pissed, the guys left him alone. Seeing as there was still time before classes start, Steron walked to the old well stationed at a secluded area behind the school. It was the usual place he went to to avoid the students. Steron sat on the ground and leant against the brick surface of the well. Throwing back his head, he let out a sigh and squinted at the sun.

Soon the bell rang and Steron stood up. He swept the grass from his palms and clothes before letting out another sigh and braising himself for another day at school. However, when he took the first step, he felt a strong pull on his hood. As he plummeted down into the depths of the well, he heard laughter and closed his eyes. Perhaps after this, it would finally be over.

Since other animals were preparing themselves for winter as well, he needed to go farther from his cabin to gather food. He heard a faint buzzing and saw a bee hive on a tell branch of a tree. What luck! He thought as he adjusted his satchel and pulled himself to a low branch. Placing one heavy boot on a steady branch, he felt climbed the tree. Reaching the bee hive, he held on tightly with his right as he dug around for one of the jars he had in his satchel. The thick, golden honey filling the jar generously.

After filling two more jars, he apologized to the bees and climbed down from the tree. Landing skilfully on the ground, Esben went on his way to find some berries and mushrooms. Licking the sticky sweetness from his hands, he unwittingly was walking towards the barrier. He only realized he had walked too close to the well when he started getting a strange scent he had never smelt before. It unnerved him. Could it be a monster? He thought. He's heard tales of monsters that kill them and turn them into a tasty meal from his mother telling him when was a young cub. He gulped. Scanning around the forest for any sign of danger, Esben gave a low growl. Trying to scare off whatever was there.

Steron groaned from the pain in his head when he regained consciousness. Why was he still alive? Looking around at the enclosed area around him, he realised that this well didn't have water. Something he didn't think of when it was so obvious. The well was so old, of course it wouldn't have water. But the fall should have broke his neck considering how he fell head first into it. Looking up at the circle of light above him, Steron realised that the sun wasn't shining as brightly as the morning. Just how long had he been out? Was his parents already calling the school? He had to get out.

Steron stood up and studied the vine covered walls. He could use them to climb up but should be careful in picking the stronger ones to hold his weight. After a while of looking, he finally spotted a considerably thick vine and several others going up. Smiling, he walked towards the vine, but just as he placed his foot on it, Steron heard a low growl.

Looking up in alarm, he wondered since when there were wild animals in school. The growl certainly didn't sound like a dogs growl. Besides, there wrren't any dogs in school either. So what was it? Was it even safe to come out? After more hesitation, Steron finally placed his weight entirely on the vine and proceeded to climb. Dangerous or not, he couldn't stay in the well forever. What if the thing nevet left? He would face whatever was out there once he got out. Steron got more and more cautious as he neared the surface slowly. He wasn't exactly quiet whike climbing out either with his body hitting the walls every now and then.

Once he was at the top, Steron slowly brought his head out of the well's edge and peeked.

With each soft thump and strain of vines his ears twitched. Taking a deep breathe and exhaling, Esben walked slowly towards the sound and smell. His boots making a soft crunch with each step on the dry leaves and twigs. Ignoring the sounds his own boots made as he focused on the occasional thump. As he drew nearer, he realized the sounds were coming from the well. The barrier that lead to the other world. Esben was beginning to get scared. It was most definitely a monster, he concluded. Clenching his fists, preparing himself to fight for his life, he took one last step.

Only a few steps away from the well, he heard the monster getting closer and closer, until...he saw a tuft of blond hair. He tilted his head to the side in confusion. It was a mere small lad. Though, he didn't know why it was in the well. He looked a little strange. Not like any lads he's seen. Could he be what his parents called 'humans'? Gathering his remaining courage, he opened his mouth.

"What are you and why are you in the well?"

The first thing he saw when he peeked was a large man towering over him. But instead of feeling afraid, Steron found the man rather weird. "What am I? Why would you ask me that?" But looking past the huge figure, Steron saw that he wasn't in school. The whole area was a mass of green trees and shrubbery much like a forest. Where on earth was this place?

"I have no idea why I'm here or how I even got here. I wasn't moving while unconscious." He replied. Was it those guys? But they couldn't possibly move the whole well. "What's with those ears?" Steron then asked the man only noticing the bear like ears now. "Are you some kind of cosplayer? Those ears don't look cute on you at all." This was probably the first time he spoke so much in a while. But Steron couldn't help it, everything he saw was a mystery. It seemed like he wasn't even on earth anymore.

Esben gave a puzzled look. Was this lad stupid or something? Obviously he asked a question because he wanted to make sure that he wasn't a threat and to better understand the current situation. Ignoring the others questions, he asked a couple of his own.

"Are you a monster? A threat to the general area?" He said in a quiet, deep voice.

Walking over to the well, he glanced down. It was a ways down by the looks of it. A weak person could most likely die from the fall if it were a normal well. "The well is a barrier of sorts..."

Esben was taken aback by the lad's questions out his ears. Slightly offended and hurt, he covered his ears. Glaring at the boy.

"I can't help it if I'm not cute, but that doesn't give you the right to insult them."

Remembering the other mention the word 'cosplayer', he dropped his hands.

"What's a cosplayer? Are they strong creatures?"

"Do I look like a monster to you?" Steron asked, offended that someone would call his face monster-like. The girls in school all flocked to him like bees attracted to nectar, how on earth did he get classified as a monster? Getting out of the well, he sat on the edge and studied the man before him.

"A barrier? You mean this is a different world? I never thought that something like that existed." Steron said plainly. It was hard to believe but he accepted it easily. Everything around him was proof that the latter was telling the truth.

Smiling sadly at the man, Steron agreed with his words. "I didn't mean it as an insult. I know that nobody asked to be born the way they are. Sorry." He knew it better than anyone else. His petite frame and flawless face, he didn't ask for them at all. If he could, he would have asked to be less attractive. "By the way, you said that this well is a barrier of sorts right? Does tnat mean that I'll go back to my world if I go back in?"

To test his theory, Steron opened his arms and leant back, braising himself for impact.

"I don't know. You don't seem scary, but you came from there." He pointed to the well.

On closer inspection, he noticed the boy was small and frail. Did he eat enough? Was where he came from low on food? That would explain why he came here.

"In a way, yeah. I've never gone through there, but I know that it leads to another world."

He took a couple of steps closer. To better see the well. A bit surprised that the boy would apologize. With a small nod and grunt, he accepted his apology.

Esben shrugged his shoulders. He got closer to the well and peered down. A bit scared of what laid ahead. At the corner of his eye, he saw the boy fall back. In a panic, he tried to grab the boy, but was too late.

As he fell, Steron made sure to stay awake so that he could see what happened when he passed between worlds. But as he neared the ground, his foot caught onto one of the vines and his body slammed against the wall. "Ow," he muttered while swinging upside-down. Using his other foot, Steron pushed the vine until it separated from his foot and he slammed once again on the floor. Muttering another 'ow', he realised that he didn't see anything during his fall. Was he back in his world already? How boring.

However, when he looked up, he saw the man with bear ears looking down at him and he groaned. How lucky, he couldn't even go home now. Groaning again, he started to climb the well again.

Would the boy actually make it back to where he came from? He thought. Slightly worried for the small lad. Would it even work? The barrier was a mystery to him. He's heard of some creatures going in there, but never returning. But those were just rumours.

Hearing a thud, Esben winced involuntarily. Watching the blond tufts of hair again, this time he wasn't afraid. He held out his hand for the boy to take. It wouldn't be safe for him to be here. He seemed weak. He'll have to help him, he supposed.

"How did you come here in the first place?"

"A few guys pushed me into the well,"Steron replied shortly not wanting to think about that topic. On the other hand when the large man held out a hand to help him, a brief thought flashed through his mind before he shook it away. Why on earth did he think that it woukdn't be bad to stay in this world. Was it because someone other than his family and girls was nice to him?

"Thank you," Steron said with gratitude after getting out of the well. "So what is this world called? I'm sure it has a name." Such a unique world, Steron wished that he had fell into the well earlier in all those times that he sat by it. "And your name? I'm Steron." This newly discovered world, Steron found it to be pleasant. Clear unpolluted air and quiet nature unlike the city, it was a pity no place like this existed on earth. Of course the earth had forests, but it was polluted with green-house gases and didn't feel magical like this place. This world, Steron decided.........was beautiful.

Esben frowned. He's never encountered such disrespect, but then again he was a bear. Bears were rarely threatened. Same thing with wolves, mountain cats and foxes. Everyone gave each other enough respect and knew that messing with someone's territory without permission would call for a fight. But he didn't know how this lad's world handled their problems.

Esben shrugged. "I don't think it has a name. It's just where we live. It is divided into factions. This is the bears' territory. Since it's close to the river... The mountains is the mountain cat faction...On the south of the mountains is where you'll find wolves...and...at the north of the mountain is where the foxes live. It's disrespectful to hunt in their territories...trading is the only way you can go through. If I wanted new clothes or jewellery, I'd go with the mountain cats. For boots or anything to do with leather and metal I'd go to the wolves. Foxes make beautiful and sturdy pottery. Since they're artisans and scholars, they have a library. They might know about the well actually."

Steron frowned when his request for a name was ignored. Was the bear still cautious of him? "I see," Steron said. "Then is there a mark or something to indicate the border between territories?" He asked. "What if I walked onto another territory by accident? Would I get ripped to shreds?" He walked past the bear deeper into the forest. The bear said that the foxes had a library, would he be allowed to go in?

"This world is really foreign to me but I have to admit that its pleasant that I almost don't want to go back,"he said as he walked. Who would want to go back to all the beating and teasing, to all the fawns and the whole selfish human world. Finding this place is practically like a dream to him. An escape from his cruel life. But would he even be allowed by the inhabitants of this world to stay? He wasn't one of them, and they would perhaps think that he was dangerous just like this bear in the beginning.

"You can tell by smell, but the borders for each territory have scratches on them."

Esben shrugged his shoulders. "Probably. That's why you offer them something or do something for them."

He adjusted his satchel. "I need to continue my gathering. Come along."

Giving a frown, he turned to Steron. "You can't be here. You're too weak."

Plus, Who knows what would've happened if I didn't find you first. I won't be able to help you much longer anyway. I only have three weeks to finish my preparations. He thought as he scratched his head. Then there was the constant unease of the mystery that surrounded the lad.

"You can't exactly blame me for staying here can you? I can't return, not my fault," Steron stated lamely. "And are you ever going to tell me your name?" He was a little peeved at being called weak, after all he was one of the best fighters in his school. He would understand what the bear meant by saying he was weak since this world was dangerous with wild animals defending their territories. They fought often and were stronger than him, but that didn't mean that he was entirely defenseless.

"I can protect myself just fine. You just have to keep me from straying into another territory. Not very hard is it?" He said crossing his arms while staring at the back of the bear's head. Just then, his stomach let out a loud growl, seems like he was hungry.

Esben gave a growl of annoyance. "Do you have to be so annoying? And if it'll get you to shut up, my name is Esben. Happy now?"

Having someone constantly asking him questions and being bratty in general was getting on his last nerves. How could a brat like him even have the nerve to say that he could protect himself when he looked like a walking twig? But he had a point. Keeping him away from other factions was an easy task.

Turning around at the sound of a growl, the bear sighed. "Are you hungry?"

He dug around in his satchel for a large wooden box. It was stuffed with smoked fish. He dug out a lumpy cloth filled with loafs of bread. He begrudgingly held them out for Steron. "You could have my food..."

Steron stared at the food offered to him and looked at Esben. "Its fine. I'll look something to eat by myself." The bear looked reluctant when offering him food, one could tell that it wasn't easy for him to gather food. It was also pretty obvious that the bear was stocking up on food for winter or something, afterall, wasn't that what all animals did? Steron walked past Esben towards a fruit tree he had just spotted. Climbing up the tree, Steron picked the first fruit closest to him only to find that a bug had bitten a shallow hole in it.

Steron smile, how lucky, bugs always chose the best fruits. Biting out the part that had blackened, Steron spat it out and proceeded to devour the fruit. Sweet, bug-chosen fruits were definitely the best. Steron climbed down the tree after finishing a few fruits. Satisfied, he rubbed his belly and walked back to Esben.

Being both relieved and slightly disappointed, he settled down to eat himself. Opening the box, he began to hungrily devour the fish. After a few fishes and bread loafs, he languidly watched Steron on the tree. He should probably pick some of the fruit for jams. They'll need something to trade with each faction to be able to reach the foxes' library.

"Fruit won't give you muscles. You need meat. Here..." He held out a fish. "Just eat this one."

He had eaten enough to keep his stomach from grumbling, so it wouldn't bother him if the lad ate some.

"Just eating fruit will make you shit like crazy and I don't want to keep stopping because of you."

He looked at the tree. It looked like some of the fruit was ripe and under-ripe from where he stood.

"We should pick some while we're here...mind helping me out? It'll be quicker."

Muscles? He had muscles! Just that it was lean and not that obvious, but Steron accepted the fish nonetheless. The fish wasn't bad he realised, it was better than what he usually ate at home. "Did you cook this yourself?" He asked with his mouth full.

He didn't know that fruits were laxatives. "Is that true? I thought it only depends on what kind of fruits you eat. Are these fruits the kind that make you shit? The only ones I knew of were bananas." Starting to feel insecure, he looked uneasily at the fruits. He ate quite a few after all, Steron had always a big appetite whenever he got hungry.

"Yeah sure," he replied . He climbed higher into the trees and started picking the fruits. Since Esben was so nice to accompany him in this foreign world, Steron decided that he would choose the best fruits for him. Most of the fruits in the tree didn't have bugs, but Steron would make sure to take it if he saw one. He left the badly infected ones alone. One by one, he threw them down, waiting for Esben to keep the fruit before aiming the next intohis palms.

Putting the box away, he nodded. "Yes. I caught them and smoked them. That way they can be eaten in the winter. I usually just eat fish and fruit. Hunting is too bothersome right now."

He handed him a loaf of bread. "Here. To keep your energy up."

Esben tilted his head. Not sure how to react with the boy's uneasiness. "Well...usually eating large amounts of fruit make you shit a lot. Well, that's what my ma said..." and personal experience.

He finish packing the food away. "Let's hope your stomach can handle it."

Esben caught the fruit and set them down in a large cloth he had spread out on the ground.

"Thank you for the nice fruit, but I need a large number of under-ripe fruit. They require less sugar for jams." He said as he looked up at Steron. Giving a snort at the sight. Like a squirrel, he thought comically.

Steron tilted his head in slight confusion. Under riped fruit? Kinda makes sense now that he thought of it. He looked at the bugged fruit in his palm and shrugged. He threw it down to Esben,"then you can keep this for me in case I get hungry. I won't shit too much if I don't eat too much at once right?" He started climbing further, picking the thicker branches to hold his weight. After all he had muscles, and muscles were actually heavier than fat.

After picking the under-riped fruits that Esben wanted, he saw that the cloth was almost full and proceeded to climb down. He took each step carefully, after all he was pretty high up. As he neared the ground, his foot slipped and he fell. His bottom hit the ground with an audible 'thump'. "Oww,"he muttered for the second time that day. Rubbing his sore bottom and whispering profanities which would make his mother wash his mouth with soap if she ever heard him, Steron stood up and patted the dirt away from his pants. He never did like getting dirty.

Esben nodded at good choice in fruit. He caught the fruit and slipped it into his bag. This was going more quickly and with less bruised fruit than when he does it. He wouldn't mind the extra help whole the lad was here. Though he'd never admit it to him. Fine it looked like he had an ego and he'd rather not make it bigger.

"If you don't eat too much at one you'll be fine, I guess."

As he gathered the cloth and threw it over his shoulder, he heard a thud. Turning to see Steron on the ground, Esben couldn't help but cover his mouth and hold back a laugh. Only failing to give a loud snort. In embarrassment, he straightened up and cleared his throat.

"Alright. Let's go back to my cabin. I need to gather some things and go down to the river while there's still light out."

- - - Updated - - -

Esben nodded at good choice in fruit. He caught the fruit and slipped it into his bag. This was going more quickly and with less bruised fruit than when he does it. He wouldn't mind the extra help whole the lad was here. Though he'd never admit it to him. Fine it looked like he had an ego and he'd rather not make it bigger.

"If you don't eat too much at one you'll be fine, I guess."

As he gathered the cloth and threw it over his shoulder, he heard a thud. Turning to see Steron on the ground, Esben couldn't help but cover his mouth and hold back a laugh. Only failing to give a loud snort. In embarrassment, he straightened up and cleared his throat.

"Alright. Let's go back to my cabin. I need to gather some things and go down to the river while there's still light out."

Esben's snort and failure to stifle his laugh reached Steron's ears. He glared at the bear and muttered bitterly, "sure, go ahead and laugh." Was it so funny? Accidents happened all the time. If the bear ever made a mistake, he would make sure to laugh his heart out in front of him.

Steron glanced at the sky. The sun wasn't as bright as before anymore. "Yeah,"he responded and followed after Esben. The bear made a series of turns and moving under uprooted tree roots. The directions were confusing to Steron who didn't have a good sense of direction. He would undoubtedly get lost if he were alone. Best to get used to it and memorise the path before he ended up on a different faction with nothing to trade. After a while of continuous walking, a wooden cabin loomed ahead.

Ignoring the bitterness from Steron's voice, he gathered his satchel and threw it over his shoulder. He found it amusing how easy it was to offend him and over a snort of all things. Though he'd rather not get into an argument over trivial things with the lad, he kept his mouth shut. Ann easy task if one rarely spoke to others.

Once they finally made it to his cabin, he turned to Steron. "This is my home. Don't touch anything." He said as he opened the door.

Song down the bundle and satchel, he heeded to the wood stove he owned. Grabbing a large pot, he set it on the stove. Gathering some vegetables from his garden, he chopped them and cleaned them in a bowl that held water. He completely forgot his guest, until he had finished preparing the stew and turned to the side. "Oh. Forgot you were here. I'm going down to the river for water and a bath. Would you like to come along or stay here and keep an eye on the food?"