I'm getting too old for this

KoBu

Myles couldn't help but laugh a little. He very much could so Yukie starting a kitchen fire. Every young person has burned their food a few times in their lives. 

"Yes I do cook. I live alone and I don't make it a habit to order out often. Coming here is just a little treat for myself a few times a month." The red head confesses, sipping at the water the waitress dropped off. 

"But if you've got the time and feel comfortable with it Darius and I can take you out to lunch. It'll give you a chance to get the layout of the city. Safer than clubbing to, so your brother shouldn't have much complaint." 

It wasn't long before the waitress came back, Myles typical order hot and ready. He opened up the to go box and slid it over to Yukie to let him try it. 

"How is it?" 

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yukonwolfspirit

• KoBu

Tasting the Pad Krapow Moo Saap Yukie blushed slightly at the taste. “It’s pork, and basil? I think I can defiantly taste some heat so chilis also!” Yukie replied as he tasted another bite his tastebuds singing praises at the taste. At the mention of going out with Myles and Darrius “I’d love that and it will be my treat each time.” Yukie offered with a smile as he continued to eat the extra rather enjoying the dish. “I’ll buy you an extra serving to take home.” Yukie added with a blush as he realized he had ate quite a bit of the to go box.

Myles smiled a little wider. He softly chuckled again, spotting that the take away box was nearly empty. The older man waving Yukie's concerns off. "Don't worry about it. Like I said they just add it on after the ome time I asked and I just never bothered to correct them. At least I know those leftovers didn't go to waste." 

As they finished up their meal, Myles paying and leaving a nice tip for their waitress, Myles ready to finish out the last hours of the work day, satisfied the air between himself and his younger coworker was cleared. 

The day dragged on and by the time the sun started setting, Myles was still the only one working, Darius shouldering his bag and heading over to try and get the 'old man' o go home early for a change. "Alright Mymy c'mon! It's time to go! Yukie come help me pull the old man away from his desk!!" 

“Oh to live so carefree without a deadline.” Yukie replied to Darius as he rolled his eyes the man working on his project with a huff. “It’s amazing you finish so fast are you sure you’re even part of the same department?” Yukie asked as he looked over at Darrius and Myles.

”Making friends I see?” Yuen teased as he stood holding four cups of coffee and a bag of takeout. “I thought you would be staying late tonight, you’re usually quick home.” Yuen replied as he set down the coffee and food for Yukie and the extra for Myles having guessed he would be there since Yukie had messaged him he was working still.

Darrius looks back at Yukie giving his usual over dramatic gasp. "I am in fact in this department!! Excuuuuse me for not being a workaholic and having good work life balance!" The younger huffs. Myles looks up from his screen with a raised brow and smirk "Is that fancy talk for how you sit gossiping to me most of your shift and I sneak in and bulldoze your easy sheet work?" 

Another dramatic gasp from Darrius. "Rudy-tudy!! How could you!?!?" He falls into a chair with a flourish. "I have been betrayed and deceived!!" 

The younger turns and sees Yuen, he bolts over 'crying' crocodile tears, "You see how they treat me, Yuniieee!!!! They're both gonna bully me now!!" 

Myles rolls his eyes, pushing away from his desk a little, happily taking the coffee from Yuen. "So sorry for the free show but thanks for the coffee. You here to pick up Yukie?" 

“Oh they have my full blessing to bully you. There’s no place in an office for a lousy worker.” Yuen replied as he smirked being quite the cold shoulder to cry on before turning to Myles. “Oh no worries it makes my heart warm to see Yukie having such fun. If anything he’s at least got interesting friends. I planned on it but seems Yukie wants to put in a little more time to work on his designs.” Yuen replied with a chuckle as he easily brushed Darius off and walked over towards Yukie to hand him his coffee also. “Yue made you something to eat he worries your working to hard again please don’t take long tonight.” Yuen asked as he mentioned to the back of packed lunches that was rather big.

”you couldn’t stop him from making so much?” Yukie asked with a raised brow as he sipped his coffee slightly curious as he opened the box to find delicate macaroons and pastries.

”please he’s almost as stubborn as you. It’s a miracle he didn’t make five more bags.” Yuen explained as he playfully ruffled Yukies hair before letting his brother go. “Though he made sure to make extras for your friends.” Yuen added with a smirk as he settled down in an empty desk chair with his coffee planning to wait out Yukies long extra shift.

Darrius, ever the drama student, "Eh Tou!? Yuen!?! I'm completely surrounded by traitors!!" 

With another roll of his eyes, Myles piped in "Consider this Karma for all the times you've bullied me into going out late when I should've been at home in my bed."

"THAT WAS FRIENDLY PERSUASION AND YOU KNOW IT OLD MAN!" 

The younger tried to bicker with his senior until the box of pastries came out. "Ohhhhh~ if these are for us, then all is forgiven!!" Darrius giggles as he takes a box to his desk before Myles can tell him otherwise. 

"Yukie you should be off the clock by now. As a new employee, you're not expected to stay on so late... At least not for the first few months ." Myles offered hearing Yuen's worries. He gestured over to Darrius, "Why don't you and the gossip queen ove there go ahead and head out. I've got a key so I can lock up when I'm finished here." 

“I know I’m not expected…but if I can finish this tonight I can be free to skip work for three days. I already talked to the bossman….it’s just it was a sudden change of plans and private why I won’t be here….” Yukie explained gently as he looked at Myles hoping he wouldn’t ask to many questions as he was feeling rather uncomfortable.

”I’m sure they wouldn’t judge your circumstances…and they would understand your reasoning for needing time off and staying late tonight.” Yuen replied as he looked at Yukie before sighing knowing that Yukie was as stubborn as could be on his ways and well he wanted to respect his private life. “You don’t need to always be so guarded.” Yuen offered gently as he looked at Yukie knowing the poor man was a touch stressed with things being what they where back home.

Mykes raised a brow at that. He could see that Yukie didn't want him prying, so out of respect he let the subject drop. Just keep that little bit of info in the back of his mind for the time being.

"To each their own. By all means if it's too personal we'll leave it at that." The red head states calmly. He goes back and types a few more codes into the computer as he listened for the others. 

"If that's the case then I'll stay long enough so Yukie has someone to walk out with this evening. Sound luke a plan?" He turns to his younger with a smile and a gentle title of his head.

“It’s not personal, and eventually you’ll all find out…it’s just not a good time to add more onto his plate.” Yuen reassured Myles as he smiled softly and with a smirk kissed Yukies head before turning to leave. “I’ll leave him in your hands tonight~ make sure he’s home in one piece.” Yuen called back as he saw himself out leaving Yukie annoyed and frustrated with his pestering and overwhelming kindness. As time continued to pass Yukie worked on his project the man  continuing to type into his computer before slamming his hands down on his desk in frustration only to sigh in annoyance. Covering his face for a moment he got up and went outside for a smoke break the younger man not one for smoking but he needed an outlet for the evening.

Edited by Yukonwolfspirit

Myles startled from the sudden slamming. He looked up just in time to see Yukie walking away and head towards their normal break spot. 

The elder slowly and carefully approached, calling in a soft tone, "Everything ok?" He asked. Myles rubs the back of his neck. "Ya know we can call it quits for the night .... Head home and you can get an early nights rest...." 

“Mmh I’m fine. I’m not stressed about work, hell work is my only stability right now. I’ve just kinda found out this morning…that I’ve got a choice to make and I’m not sure what to do.” Yukie started as he walked over to the railing and leaned against it to smoke. “I’m going back home for the weekend…possibly a week depending on how everything goes. Basically it’s on strict business with my ex.” Yukie explained as he sighed and let out a deep puff of smoke staring off into the distance as he let the silence calm his thoughts as he closed his eyes thinking of the right words.

”Myles, did or do you ever think about having a family of your own?” Yukie asked gently having calmed down a little as he looked over at Myles and offered him a smoke the man having relaxed enough to think a little more calmly and actually open up to Myles.

Suddenly the redhead's eyes lit up, almost seeming to sparkle. "All the time! I've always wanted a big family! A big house for them all to run and play in. To hear them running up and down the halls. Soccer practices, dance meets. Maybe even a dog or other pets for them grow up with! I would love to have a family ..." Myles suddenly got rather somber. "But um... My .... My last partner wasn't too.keen on the idea so we never looked into it and I've uh .... Not been on the dating scene since we broke up..." He admits rubbing his neck again. 

Myles finally takes the offered cigarette and lights. His eyes are sparkling for real now but ... It seems his eyes are wet ....

"And by this point I imagine I'm to old to start one of my own by this point" 

“I see..” Yukie replied as he listened to Myles taking in his words and how he viewed parenthood. For Yukie it was hard to envision since he last his own parents so young and well with his situation he thought back when they applied it would make them such a happy family despite how his ex was. Hearing Myles tone change Yukie let out some smoke as he looked at the man before him his heart breaking and melting at such a sweet person standing before him.

“I don’t think you’re to old, and personally I think you’d make a great dad.” Yukie replied as he looked at Myles before gently smiling. “Maybe in the future you’ll find someone for you that you want to be with and they might already have a family or want that.” Yukie added as he had wished for the two of them to be together but he didn’t want Myles to feel pressured. “To be honest I wasn’t sure if being a parent is what I was cut out for…I don’t remember my own and well…back when I agreed to adopt…I lived a different life.” Yukie explained as he sighed and lit another cigarette. “Turns out I have the possibility to be a dad…but the thought of doing it alone now is terrifying….I’ve been on edge since I booked my plane tickets.” Yukie admitted his voice cracking in sadness at his words since his stomach felt like it was full of knots and butterflies.

The elder stared in surprise. Yukie ... This young kid was ... Looking to be a parent?! Wasn't he only in his twenties?! 

"Does.... Does your brother know? A-and how did you-- .... " Myles took a deep breath. So many question flying through head, so many different possibilities... "I get being scared .... Raising or having kids with a partner is ... Intimidating to begin with. Raising one alone .... " Myles let's out a huff and runs his fingers through his hair. "I will say ... If you even think for a moment you're not ready ... Don't go through with it. But if you DO want this child, and you trust me .... I can and will help you any way that I can..." Myles states looking to Yukie. Determined maybe even a little excited at the idea of being apart of the kid's life even just until Yukie gets a partner of his own. 

“He knows…kinda raked me over the coals over the whole thing. But they are supportive of what I choose.” Yukie explained as he thought how to best explain what was what with the second question. “Well….biologically speaking they are half mine. We used a surrogate, back when my ex and I first got together we had signed into a business contract and relationship contract. We had some eggs paid to be created before the wedding from my ex. It was a gift to me, he wasn’t interested in fatherhood but I thought once the kid was born it would change he would change. Turns out he didn’t, kid was born during the divorce. I didn’t even know until yesterday when my ex denied him…well he had been denying the kid for the year while I was in the hospital after our divorce. Between then and now there was another spat between us and My ex promised to change but Yuen wouldn’t hear it and refused to let me hear his promises and then next thing I knew I was moved here” Yukie explained as he sighed and let out a deep breath his heart feeling excited at the thought of having the kids in his life but also feeling such a deep sadness he hadn’t thought about checking on things better back home.

”Fast forward to now a year after the divorce, and six months later after moving here…we had finally moved away from my ex, started our new lives and everything. Yesterday morning…a private investigator shows up on Yuens porch. Claims I’ve abandoned my children at a hospital and they were looking for next of my kin to take them in. It…was a hell of a screaming match between the two since Yuen thought it was just another scheme from my ex. Later that night we talked and it ended in another yelling match between Yuen and me where he raked my ass over the coals for not mentioning anything to him. Things at home were tense for the night but Yuen came around to it and we talked this morning, him coming by a bit ago was more or less was his way of a supportive peace offering.” Yukie explained with a chuckle as he sat down on the ground closing his eyes for a moment as if taking everything in.

“One is two, and the other is just six months. The two year old has been living with my exes father, they now both refuse to have him because…to them he’s a bastard. The six month old is no better to them and when he had said that he would have more kids with me he did it out of spite? Maybe hope I would crawl back.” Yukie added as he sighed at the mess resting his head in his hands glad that they ever only had two eggs that ever took.

”I haven’t seen pictures but I at least know their names. The oldest is Haru, and the Younger is Tama.” Yukie explained with a small smile finding the names rather adorable as he looked up at Myles as he spoke.

“I’m not sure what I want, but…I want to at least meet them.” Yukie explained as he looked up at Myles before getting up his heart bursting at Myles offer of help and acceptance. “If I decide to go through with it, you’ll be the first to know and I would be honored to have your help.” Yukie admitted with a blush as he hugged Myles in thanks before putting out his cigarette. “Wanna grab a bite before we head home? I feel like a sandwich would be good.” Yukie added awkwardly trying to smooth over the sudden hug.

Myles stared in awe at his younger coworker. Listening and taking in everything he was saying.... It was... alot. But regardless Myles couldn't fault Yukie for at least going to meet them. But what happens if Yukie doesn't want them? ... Will they be sent back to an orphanage? 

"If you don't want them.... I'll take them." Myles found himself saying before he even processed he was speaking. He stared at Yukie for a moment... "Sorry I .... I shouldn't have asked you that.... C'mon I'll take care of dinner tonight. Let's just get home, you'll have a big day tomorrow."

The next day, Myles seemed distracted .... Unusual for him since he was always so laser focused at his computer. If any paid attention, they would notice the red head paying special attention to a certain desk the whole morning.

The next two weeks seemed to be that on repeat. Each day seeing Myles get progressively more antsy, even agitated. A sight nobody in the office saw since Valentine's day a few years ago. 

Myles kept constantly looking to his phone for any message or email or text from Yukie. He ... Myles felt so stupid fussing and hoping things were going well. Like he was Yukie's partner when he wasn't. 

With an annoyed sigh, Myles made his way to the roof for his fourth cigarette for the day.

Sighing tiredly Yukie gently rocked Tama in the baby sling the infant fussy as he kicked and fussed as Yukie set down his work for the last week on his bosses desk before heading up to the roof having heard Myles was on break. Taking Haru’s hand he lead the toddler up the steps before peeking out. “Anyone tell you smokings bad for you?” Yukie asked as he stood awkwardly at the doorway Haru hiding behind his leg as Yukie continued to try and soothe the fussy infant who now proceeded to scream his head off. “Thought you might have insight? He hasn’t stopped crying since we got home. Yuen and Yue kicked me out to try and settle him with a walk so they could get a break and sleep so I could work tonight. I could only thinking of coming here with him.” Yukie admitted the poor man having seen better days as he looked like hell at the moment. Yukie was exhausted having not slept well or really done much self care since adopting the kids almost two weeks ago.

(Haru)

spacer.png

(Tama)

spacer.png

Myles jumped slightly when he heard Yukie call him, dropping the cigarette from his lips. He turns to make a joke and his words are stolen from him when he sees the two little children Yukie has on tow. 

Myles feels his eyes water. He chucks his smokes over the side of the building and comes over to see them, the older man already ecstatic to meet them. 

"They're .... They're absolutely beautiful Yukie." Myles blubbers out. Jesus he's already brought to tears and these aren't even his children.... "Hello~ wee one." He cooes at the little baby sweetly. Myles looks down and sees the other boy hiding behind his father's leg. He waves gently at the young child so as not to frighten the poor boy. 

Myles holds out his arms to take the baby from Yukie. "May I? Has he been fed? Changed? I think he's too young to be getting any teeth in right?" 

“I’ve done everything. He’s up all night crying it’s worse after feeding. We’ve tried different formula but none of us know which is the best one for what’s wrong with him and I haven’t exactly set up a doctor yet.” Yukie replied as he started rambling on about everything he had tried the poor man’s energy melting as he moved and handed Myles Tama carefully before he sat down taking a moment to rest. “Haru says he’s always cried like this when eating and the doctors back home said something about colic but I don’t know what that is and they say he will grow out of it but…it’s been weeks of crying.” Yukie replied as he tried himself not to cry the poor man having had a hell of a night last night with Tama screaming and keeping them all up. 

~little brother is sick?~ Haru asked Yukie his voice soft as the child spoke the boy asking in Japanese if his brother was alright as he looked at Myles still clinging to Yukies shirt.

~I…don’t think so? Maybe just tiered.~ Yukie replied back on Japanese as he looked at Haru before reaching into his bag and pulled out a small baggie of goldfish crackers for the boy to snack on and a small water bottle of juice. “He doesn’t speak English. Barely speaks at all to begin with. He spent a lot of time with the Nannie’s and playing by himself until Tama was born and they went to a placement home.” Yukie explained as he sighed and looked at Myles unable to help but smile at such a sweet sight of him holding Tama. “You’re a natural.” Yukie mumbled softly as he watched Tama snuggle into Myles still upset and crying but snuggled down none the less.

"Colic? .... A colicy baby just needs a good burping." Myles chuckles out. He doesn't mean to laugh, he truly doesn't. After all Yukie is still a new parent. " When a baby has colic they've just a got trapped gas bubbles that need help getting out is all." 

Myles begins to gently maneuver Tama over his shoulder and starts to rhythmically pat on the baby's back. More cooing ensues. "I know~ we gotta move da wittle bubbles in your tummy, yes~" the red head happily rocking around and patting Tama's back until he gets one big burp. "There it is!" Myles chuckles again, having accomplished his mission. He settles the baby back into his arms, blowing a little raseberry in Tama's chubby baby cheeks. 

Looking back down to the little boy by Yukie's side, Myles smiles again. "He's still young. He'll learn it as he grows up I mean we all learn our home language!" The elder froze after he spoke "....I-I mean ... If you .... Um if you stay here in the states...." Myles suddenly feels his face reddening. "Sorry ... I shouldn't assume like that..." 

“You’ll have to teach me that, getting the bubbles out. I swear I did exactly as the lady showed me before we left.” Yukie explained as he sighed and relaxed so relieved that Tama was finally comfy as he watched Tama squeal in delight at the sudden raspberries to his chubby cheeks. 

“Please as if we would leave, I’ve rather fallen in love with my life here. Course we will vacation back home when we can” Yukie explained with a smile as he watched Myles with Tama. “I’m truest happy with the friends I’ve made here and the life I’ve made. I can only imagine it gets better if you don’t mind this chaos once in awhile.” Yukie admitted as he looked at Haru who walked over to Tama offering him some of his goldfish the boy looking up at Myles before reaching up wanting to be held also.

Myles smiles again. Watching the little boy Haru come over, hold out his arm to help the boy climb up if he so chooses. "Don't get to upset. You're a first time parent. It's all a learning experience with the first kid" he says gently. 

"A nurse showing you what to do isn't the same as actually doing it. Were you trying to be too gentle? You've gotta be firm when you burp a baby. Helps the gas move up." Myles goes on as he continues to soothe the baby and keep Haru occupied. 

"But ... I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it here. And I wouldn't mind having a few visits a couple times a week." Myles admits with a thousand watt smile. "It'll give me an excuse to actually start asking for days off" 

“Actually. If I’m honest I also came to ask if you had the weekend off. Haru likes fish he hasn’t stopped talking about them since we left Japan…and I wanted to take him to the aquarium and the beach maybe find him some stuffed fish or fish toys.” Yukie offered as he blushed a little watching Haru who was absolutely fascinated with Myles hair as he played with the soft curls. “Yue and Yuen have been covering for me for the last two weeks every night while I worked so I said I would take the kids out for the weekend. Only thing is is I’m kinda hopeless at finding my way around the city and well…I want to get the kids things for my home…so we can stop staying in Yue and Yuens living room. So I thought I’d ask you for help, I’ll pay for everything.” Yukie offered feeling overwhelmed with embarrassment that he was struggling with basic things as he got down on his knees basically begging Myles for his help.

"Yukie! .... Try to calm down. I told you I'll help you anyway I can and I meant it...." Myles offers with another smile. He pats Yukie's head with his one free hand to try and give him some reassurance. "I'm more than happy to drive you all around and show you the city lay out ... We didn't really get a chance to before you had to leave." 

The older man cooes at the baby again when he reaches for a strand of hair. "Seems you boys take after everybody else in the office with my hair" he snickers. "Are there no red heads in Japan? " he asks. Having never really been out of the country himself, Myles never knew much but the basics and that the other countries existed. 

"Do you wanna go to the local aquarium or do you wanna go to the GOOD one because if so that one's about an hour's drive outta the city and into the next..." Myles asks as he bounces both children.on either knee like a pro.