Writing Challenge - stories

Kujaku

#005 https://64.media.tumblr.com/65b86726fdca0ed84ea4dae730674d09/tumblr_inline_mr4h25bsMP1qz4rgp.gif February | One, two, three of us | word count 1500
                    theme https://64.media.tumblr.com/65b86726fdca0ed84ea4dae730674d09/tumblr_inline_mr4h25bsMP1qz4rgp.gif Trip Down On Memory Lane
                                words https://64.media.tumblr.com/65b86726fdca0ed84ea4dae730674d09/tumblr_inline_mr4h25bsMP1qz4rgp.gif paper, wind, box +soap

Spoiler

Elias scoffed at the content of the box he just found in the back of the closet. He’d always thought this only happened in films, not real life. Do people actually store memory boxes in the back of closets? Clearly, they do.

The lid was now on the bed and Elias was rummaging through the box. There were all kinds of trinkets and pictures of him, his high school colleagues, his professors, people he couldn’t even remember the names of. And Tyler. They looked happy and Elias knew they were once upon a time.

What did he miss?

He remembered when he met Tyler. He’d been desperate, living on the streets, hungry, afraid, with no one to rely on, to ask for help or for a kind word. And that’s when Tyler found him. He had been so kind and warm, everything Elias had wished for. Maybe he should have wished for more.

He didn’t think it weird when Tyler offered him a place to stay ten minutes into meeting him. He didn’t think it weird when Tyler paid for his meals, clothes, and school. He didn’t even think it weird when Tyler demanded to know where he was going every time he left the apartment. In hindsight all these should have made him pause because things only got worse. Tyler became more controlling, more demanding, and Elias had become more dependent on him, on the safety of the apartment, and financially too.

Now there was no way out.

Looking at the pictures he couldn’t even believe how much things changed. They did all kinds of fun stuff together: went to the cinema, to the zoo, visited every tourist attraction they could reach and discovered some hidden gems on the way. They went to expositions and museums, they tried pottery, even made soap, and attended a painting class. They had what Elias thought as of the best sex of his life—that until he discovered there was much more to sex.

And while he had a great time doing all these things, he ignored Tyler’s temperament, his yelling, his increasing demands. He even found excuses when he first hit him and when he first fucked him without Elias’s consent.

He’d been such a fool.

Elias thought of burning the box with everything inside it. He didn’t keep in touch with his former friends and colleagues so there was no point keeping the pictures. He vaguely remembered where he acquired some of the objects: a bracelet he thought he had from his first crush, but couldn’t even remember his name; a candy wrapper that might have been there by mistake; a small toy car that might have been his from a happier life. He didn’t care for any of them.

But he put the lid back on and returned the box to its place in the closet. As soon as he left the room to get ready for work, he’d already forgotten all about it and the Elias in the pictures.

◆◆◆

Donovan browsed the supermarket aisle seemingly disinterested. He just finished his evening run and stopped by the store to pick up a few things. He wasn’t actually disinterested, he just tried really hard to remember what he had written on the piece of paper he left at home. He made a shopping list and he couldn’t understand why he never wrote the damn thing on his phone. He never forgot his phone. What did he forget? Piece of paper. Would he forget his phone if he wrote the list in his notes? Maybe, but unlikely.

He decided he didn’t need anything from the shelves in front of him so he walked to the next aisle. His nose picked a smell, something fresh, floral, and incredibly familiar. Without thinking, Don closed his eyes and breathed in. It smelled like his mother.

He opened his eyes and looked in front of him. Soap. All he could see was different kinds of soap. There was no way he could find the exact one he was smelling. Maybe he was smelling all at once. He didn’t remember his mother to use a certain brand, Donovan was pretty sure she always bought whatever was cheaper or on sale.

The smell made him smile and miss his mother. She had always been this proud black woman who raised him to be a respectful and loving young man. Of course, they had their disagreements, but he could find no fault in his mother. All she did, she did for his sake, and Don loved her so much he was terrified of ever disappointing or making her sad.

That’s why, when at 15 he realised he liked boys, he had been torn between telling his mother and hiding it from her. He thought long and hard about it and ultimately decided to come clean. He could never hide anything from his mother and she had become suspicious of his behaviour too.

When he finally came out to her, he was a mess. He was trembling from every limb and as soon as the words came out, the tears started flowing. His mother wiped his face with her thumbs and gently asked why he was crying. She said: “Why are you crying? You are true to yourself, that’s something to celebrate. And I’m so, so proud of you. You are my son and I love you like I never loved anyone before.” The words were etched deep inside Donovan.

The memory made him smile now and filled him with even more love for his mother.

Donovan quickly picked the rest of the items that he thought he’d need from the shelves and paid for his groceries. His restraint lasted until he dropped the bag on the passenger seat and he called his mother.

“Mhm, you remember you have a mother now?” She asked jokingly, last time they spoke two days before.

“Hi, momma!” He replied and climbed in the car. His mother’s voice was enough to make him smile.

◆◆◆

Jamie closed his eyes as the water warmed up his body. The day had been brutal, not a good one to have your car break down. Thankfully, he lived in a world where help was one phone call away. Unfortunately, weather conditions meant that help might take a while to reach people in need. Jamie didn’t mind that, but the vicious wind paired with his stuck down car window made the wait almost unbearable.

Now, he was happy to be safely inside, back at warmth.

Jamie grabbed the soap and rubbed it on his skin. On the little shelf next to it he noticed a lavender shower gel that May had left at his place. It was already two weeks since they broke up and Jamie couldn’t say why he hadn't thrown it away yet. May surely wouldn’t need it back.

The sight of it made him feel lonely all of a sudden. He missed May, he truly cared about her and dreamed of a life together with her, but how could they build something together when they couldn’t agree on important, life changing things? Like having kids or not.

None of Jamie’s relationships lasted and he—not for the first time—wondered if there was something wrong with him. Something unlovable. He had lengthy relationships, he lasted two years with May. Before meeting May, he dated Pam for close to ten months, and before her was Jonah. Beautiful Jonah.

They met on a vacation. Well, Jamie was on a vacation, Jonah was selling his paintings. Jamie bought one and somewhere between picking out which one he wanted and paying, asked Jonah on a date. He agreed.

Jonah had been amazing. He was gorgeous, dark curly hair, sparkling brown eyes, body that could rival any underwear model, and a smile so infectious it would brighten Jamie’s mood instantly.

They had a good three years before things started going bad. Jamie got a new job and wanted to really prove himself, so he spent more time at work, along with his new team and trying to climb as high as possible. His absence turned Jonah cold, Jonah who wanted to travel, loved the sea, and sex on the beach. Jamie’s promises were just that, empty promises, and they drifted further apart.

At first Jamie thought it was his fault for what followed, for Jonah cheating on him, but now he knew better. He would have cheated anyway, if he hadn’t already done it before Jamie found him in their own bed with a stranger.

Jamie dried off with a towel and pulled up a pair of white lounge pants, then went to look for the only one who he knew loved him unconditionally.

He looked in the kitchen while grabbing a glass of water, checked in the living room in her favourite spots, and finally found her on his bed in the bedroom.

“There you are, my Rajni.” He said smiling and was greeted with a meow by the lounging feline.

Tumblr: Image

Edited by Kujaku
  • Like 1

Writing Challenge Accepted!

Month: February (2022)
Theme: Trip Down on Memory Lane
Words: Sponge, Seven, Play
Word count: 1500 words
Rating: 17+
Trigger warning: mentions of death, suicide, possible transmigration, mild smut

Title: In Loving Memory

spacer.png

Spoiler

>> This is a work of fiction. Unless otherwise indicated, all the names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents in this book are either the product of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner.
Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. <<

I finally arrived at the small, seaside town where my grandmother was born and raised. Funny how it was only a little over an hour’s flight, but the journey seemed to be taking so much out of me. The airport taxi driver was a chatty older chap. I wasn’t in the mood for a conversation, but he didn’t mind doing all the talking. Out of politeness, I listened attentively to his stories about the locals, my mind absorbing all information like a sponge. Upon arriving at the B&B where I would be staying for the next seven days, I gave him a hefty tip and we parted ways.

After grandma got married, she followed her husband, my grandpa, to settle down hundreds of miles away from her hometown. By the time I was born, she had no more family members left here, so there was no reason for her to return. My grandparents did plan for a visit, but they didn’t get to see it through after grandpa passed a few years back. Grandma followed suit last week. So, it was my mission to take their ashes to scatter at the place where they met and fell in love.

The room I booked was nice and clean. It also had an ocean view. I unpacked my bag and took a quick shower. There were still a couple of hours before dinner so I decided to rest for a bit. I picked up a photo frame from the nightstand that I had brought with me. It was a photo of grandma in her late teens. She was standing in between two older gentlemen. One was her brother, my granduncle and the other was a close friend of theirs.

You look so much like him.” I remembered grandma told me. 

The photo was the last one taken of them before my granduncle’s death. Grandma didn’t say it outright, but I think the other guy in the photo was someone special to my granduncle. When I was growing up, grandma would tell me stories about her younger days and from the way she described my granduncle and the other guy, I knew for a fact that they were lovers.

Otherwise, why would they choose to jump into the sea and die together?

I must have been more exhausted than I thought. Instead of waking up for dinner, I woke up to the sounds of chirping birds. The morning sun peeked through the same window that I watched the sunset last evening.

Wait. No, that’s not the same window. This is not the same bed.

Oh no.

What happened?

I sat up in bed, feeling disoriented. I recalled my steps from when I stepped out of the flight to unpacking my suitcase. There was no way I could have been kidnapped from my room. I was sure I locked my door last night and even put a chair against it for extra security. 

My thoughts were interrupted as someone threw the door open, stunning me speechless when a younger version of my grandmother walked in.

“Grandma?” The word escaped my mouth. She looked exactly the same as in the picture.

“Oh, don’t be dramatic Alistair. Don’t call me names just because I woke you up. Logan is downstairs.”

Shit. Alistair was my granduncle’s name. Did I time travel back to the late sixties and ended up in his body? I had to be dreaming. Although I was happy to see grandma again, I didn’t think this was healthy for me.

“Alistair!”

Her voice made me snap out of it. With that volume, I was surprised to not have woken up from this ‘dream’. If that was a sign that I should live the fantasy for a while, then so be it. I got to spend time with my grandma again, so fuck logic. I jumped off the bed and pulled her into a hug. She was weirded out by it, but that was because I was “Alistair” from then on. I wasn’t her grandson. I was her older brother.

For someone who suddenly traveled back in time (or dreamt of it), I took it pretty well. I sent her down first so I could wash and dress while taking the chance to take a deep breath so as to not freak out. When I came into the kitchen, she was talking to someone. She mentioned Logan was waiting, so I knew it could only be him. 

I’ve seen what Logan looked like in the picture. Tall, chestnut brown hair and a killer smile - he was good looking. I would say the same for Alistair too, but according to grandma, we looked alike. So, complimenting him would mean complimenting me. Thus, I reserved that comment to myself. 

Thanks to grandma sharing the stories of her youth with me, I knew how to act around them. My deduction that Alistair and Logan were a couple was also confirmed. I had moral conflicts on whether it was ethical or not for me to kiss Logan. Physically, I’m in granduncle’s body, but consciously, I am me. Would that mean I indirectly made Logan cheat on Alistair?

Yet, I couldn’t explain my feelings toward him. I only knew the man for one morning, but I can feel how deep my love was for him. I suspected that even though my consciousness took over Alistair’s body, the soul was still his.

During the day, we went out together with my gran– sister to play. Logan took us horseback riding, sunbathing at the beach and listening to his record collections. At night though, it was just the two of us. My moral was questioning my actions again, but one touch from Logan and I was done for. My mind went blank when he pushed his erect shaft inside me, not once but a few times. We were watching the sunset together one second, then the next moment, he was balls deep inside me. We cuddled after each round and took naps. Then, Logan would wake me up and fuck me again. 

I didn’t know where Logan got his stamina from, but I was drained and passed out after too many orgasms. The last thing I remembered was Logan’s deep chuckle and sexy whispers as he nuzzled my neck.

I was pretty sure that the stress from taking care of my sick grandmother, her death and returning to her hometown had resulted in such a vivid dream. When I woke up, I was back in my room in the B&B clutching the picture frame that had the photo of three people in it. I wasn’t an expert, but I would like to believe that that stress was also the reason why I woke up with wet underwear and a tingling sensation in my back door. 

If I tried to logic with it, my head was surely going to explode. At the same time, shame crept in as my conscience reminded me that I was still in mourning and that dream I had had featured my granduncle and his lover. I couldn’t feel more depraved than I was at the moment, so I hopped under the hot shower hoping I could wash away my sins.

The local boat operator that I made an appointment with took me to a good spot with calm waters where I did the casting ceremony. It was quick and efficient and we returned to the pier in under half an hour. My purpose completed, I had nothing else to do but to walk along the empty beach, feeling lost and hollow. I didn’t know how long or how far I went, but at one point, I sat down on the wet sand and cried silently. 

I didn’t pay attention to the sounds of galloping hooves until I heard a horse neigh. From my periphery, I saw someone cautiously approaching me with the horse reins in his hand. Perhaps this stranger thought I was suicidal as I had been crying alone in a secluded part of the beach.

The universe must have decided to toy with my heart because if this was another dream, then, fuck my life. Standing in front of me was an exact copy of Logan, but with a modern haircut and horse riding clothes. I pinched my thigh and my dried eyes teared up again from the pain.

“Are you okay?” Logan asked. 

“Don’t I look okay?” I returned dryly.

Logan smiled in spite of my crisp response. “You look familiar. Do I know you?”

“This is my first time here.”

“Really?” He asked in disbelief.

“Unless my dream count,” I added quickly.

“Funny,” he said. “Maybe that’s where I met you.

My eyes squinted as I looked at him. “Logan?” 

“No, Lachlan.”

“Oh.” Wishful thinking, I guess.

Then, he continued. “Alistair?”

My heart thumped so hard within my chest. “Yes. Well, actually that’s my middle name. I go by Quinn.”

“Tell me more about your dream.”

“I think you already know everything.”

~ the end ~

Author's note:

Spoiler

I'm not sure if the final product fit the theme, but I promise you, the original idea did. There was a lot of cutting and some important points were lost (also smut scenes). Anyway, it is kind of a transmigration + dream, so it was indeed a memory that Quinn and Lachlan got to live again, except in their predecessor's bodies. I wanted to make it more emotional, but - word limit, lol. 

No time to check the grammar thoroughly, but they sound fine to me. This theme is interesting and quite challenging, I had a good time thinking on it, but writing it was a struggle because my lazy mode kicked in. Hope I'll do better in the next challenge!

(Sorry for being late, but having a writer-block for the rest of the month is not the best thing. At some point, I was afraid of not making on time. So, it seems another month - another shoujo-styled entry...)

Writing challenge - Accepted and completed!

This month's(February's) theme: Trip Down on Memory Lane

3 given words: cologne, machine, guard

Word count: 1071

Title: Awaken Memories

Spoiler

Finally, the long-awaited day arrives. Perhaps, for anyone else, February 28th may be an average day. But for one certain blond, it is an important day. Evans even has marked this day in the calendar and set a reminder on his phone a week. No, it's not dealing with another deadline. Today is chief Marude’s birthday.

Of course, he could give his gift during the surprise party. Yet, Evans wishes to give it personally and without being afraid of drawing unwanted attention or embarrassing not only himself but his adored boss too.

But for now, before leaving for work, he strokes his beloved Sultan’s fur and checks twice whenever he hasn't forgotten about the small gift bag.

Some time passes by. As the sunlight brightens the office, Evans starts to feel sleepy. Perhaps, staying awake and thinking about all possible worst scenarios during the night wasn't the best idea. So, it can’t be helped, then. He has to rely on the third cup of espresso in the row.

After stretching out, the blond goes to the coffee machine. For the better or worse, on the way, he encounters a familiar secretary, who seems to be searching for something while cheerfully humming.

When the brunette turns around, she addresses Evans, “Good afternoon, Mr. Jones. How are you today?”.

“Fine, I guess… I just need another shot to keep me going.” — He replies without hiding the tired voice.

As the coffee machine fills the cup, May cracks a smile and reminds in an uplifting tone, “Anyway, hopefully, you haven't forgotten about the party tonight. So, I'll see you there.”.

However, just before she walks away, she gets stopped by Evans's voice, “Wait!… Um, if the chief is free at the moment? I need to ask him something important.”.

‘‘The chief Marude is in an important meeting right now. So, I suggest you not disturb him at the moment. But I’ll let you know when he will be free. Anyway, I’ll see you in a bit.’’ — May briefly explains before leaving.

A few hours pass by. This is it, the moment of truth. Or so, Evans thinks to himself as he enters the chief’s office while holding the small gift bag behind his back.

‘‘Good afternoon, Evans. You wanted to discuss something, right?’’ — The chief Marude warmly greets him. However, upon noticing how the blond holds his hands behind his back and avoids facing him, concerns the older man, ‘‘Did anything happen at work?’’.

Evans only shakes his head. After gathering enough courage, he places the gift bag on the desk, ‘‘Happy Birthday, sir!’’.

At first, Marude fixates his gaze on him. Soon enough, it changes into a gentle look.

‘‘Thank you so much, Evans. But you didn’t need to do this.’’ — The chief replies.

While he takes the content of the gift bag, his subordinate observes him with impatience. After taking out the amber-colored box and an envelope tied with the ribbon, the dark-haired man widens his eyes and loses his speech.

‘That’s it, I’m in deep trouble this time! Perhaps, I should start to look for a new job too… Damn, but who gonna need someone like me?’ — Evans wonders in fear. Yet, he tries to look calm despite having countless terrible scenarios in his head. Lastly, he closes his eyes and waits.

Suddenly, his guard is caught by feeling how someone’s hand pats his hair. After shakily opening his eyes, Evans feels how the heat rushes to his cheeks.

Just when the blonde began to get used to this unexpected gesture, Marude with-draws his hand.

‘Perhaps, at least, he slightly liked his present… That’s a relief, maybe?’ — Or so, wonders Evans.

‘‘I never expected to see it ever again. It sure does bring memories… Do you know what this is, Evans?’’ — Marude comments while holding the box of expensive cologne.

‘‘No, sir…’’ — Instantly, the younger man answers.

‘‘How many times I’ve told you that you can call me by my name when we are alone? It’s alright. Or do think that I’m already an old man?’’ — The chief calmly explains.

‘‘No, sir, -er, I mean, Jean…’’ — The blond corrects himself in a slightly embarrassed tone. Of course, maybe it is the chief’s given the privilege to only his close friends or family. Yet, Evans feels that being honored like this means that the chief trusts him enough. So, it can’t be more than that, right? After all, his feelings are one-sided. Or so, Evans convinced himself.

But for now, Jean addresses him, ‘‘See? That wasn’t so hard, was it? Anyway, I’ll tell you one story, which no one aside from my mother knows about. Back in the day when I was a young lad, it was my father’s favorite brand, and he only used it on special occasions. However, one day I decided to use it as well. Of course, I knew that I might get into trouble if I use it without his permission or knowledge. But I did it anyway. At first, I didn’t understand why my girlfriend was coughing and covering her mouth. In the end, our date. Once the date was over, my mother asked me whenever I used my father’s cologne, and I denied it. But she saw through my lies and told me that sprayed too much of it. Gladly, my father never found out about it. Yet, ever since then, I asked him how to properly use it. So, that’s why now I was surprised to see this brand again after such a long time.’’.

For sure, Evans feels happy to learn something new about Jean’s past. However, he tries to contain his excitement.

‘‘By the way, are you free this Saturday? I was thinking, whenever would you like to go for a friendly dinner? Besides, it would be a great chance to put your present to good use, don’t you think?’’ — The older man suggests.

Such an offer nearly makes Evans’s heart jump from his chest. ‘Stay calm, just stay calm, you fool!’ — He tells himself. ‘‘Eh?! Well… I… I have nothing planned… yet.’’ — He shyly replies.

‘‘Excellent! Then, should I pick around eight?’’ — Jean asks.

In the end, he is thrilled that his adored chief asks him to hang out. However, it still feels like a dream, and maybe soon his cat should wake him up any time soon. Perhaps, this time, he can finally confess his feelings. Or so, Evan hopes.

Okay, and let's see what do we have this month...

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
: Oh, that's nice to see three drabbles of different pairings ^^

But I was surprised to learn that Tyler was in this kind of desperate situation in the past. Still, Elias was one of the better things which happened to them.

As for second drabble, my... it's kinda even touching to see how Donnovan's mother loves and accepts him no matter what, even if after such a difficult coming out.

As for the last one... Well, you cannot torn yourself apart, you have to pick either work and climbing the higher ladder in carrier, either love life. Yet, even if Jamie picked the work, still, it's not good reason for Jonah to cheat (I get it, different personalities, goals and etc. yet cheating is no good at all...). Hopefully, Jamie will find his true happiness even if it is not meant to have a relationship.

: Oh, and I got surprised that it is in first-person POV again (sorry, just been recently replaying DMMD...)

Anyway, that's an interesting idea... Yup, never underestimate the power of subconsciousness! Yup, no wonder why people say that your subconsciousness speaks through the dreams. So, this one-shot really felt like Reincarnation AU or something like ''the lovers, who are destined to meet again no matter how much time may pass''.

So, I wonder what may happened if you haven't made the cuts in the final version...

• Thanks 2

Oh, I love what you did with the theme. The last thing I was expecting was a fantastical take on it, but thinking about it, maybe I should have seen it coming (thinking about TBFL). Either way, I really love it, it's fresh and something else I can't put my finger on.

I don't have a lot of background on the characters (this is not a critique, I'm just saying it), but I liked how Quinn (another name I love, lol) and Lachlan found each other. I am also interested and curious about them. What kind of sorcery made them meet in another life too? What's going to happen next? Are they going to regain their past memories? I have so many questions! In such a short 1500 words story I'm completely taken with the characters and I want to know more about them.

And I really want to know what happened to Alistair and Logan, that bit of information about them jumping into the sea... What happened??

Apart from all the questions, I liked how Quinn wasn't weirded out by the 'dream', but wanted to spend some time with his grandma/sister, that was sweet. It was also sweet how he didn't know what to do regarding Logan, but their feelings led the way. Ah, I want to hug them.
The meeting at the end was perfect and I am glad they both remembered the same events (the amount of sex I'm sure they're going to have... gotta catch up, boys!).

I really enjoyed reading this, it's a both oddly sweet and interesting.

imageimageimage

Oh, hey! Evans is making an appearance again. And it seems I'm getting some background on the characters too. I think in my previous reply regarding this pairing I said something about them being secretive so I'm glad to get more info.

I liked how the events in the short story happen today, happy birthday, Jean!
Evans is so insecure, but I'm glad things seem to work out for him. Wondering if we'll get to read about their, dare I say, date too.

2 hours ago, Fmkitty said:

I was surprised to learn that Tyler was in this kind of desperate situation in the past. Still, Elias was one of the better things which happened to them.

It's actually the other way around. ^^

• Thanks 2

Feedback time!!

Spoiler

Respond to your feedback: I'm happy you liked it! I didn't plan for a continuation, but now that you're so curious and I think there might be some potential there, Quinn and Lachlan might make an appearance again, if the theme is right. I actually wrote a very clear background about how Quinn come to be there, but had to cut it because, you guessed it -- word limit. Maybe I could revisit those points and use it in the future. Who knows. I think we need to hear Alistair and Logan's story as well as Quinn and Lachlan's story. And you're right about the sex.

~~~~~~~~~~

Feedback for your story: That's a really good way of introducing the characters background. We have this little tidbits of their past, and none of them had anything to do with one another. So it piqued my curiosity of how these three people's lives are going to connect in the future (aside from the sex). This is evil plotting, I tell you. You also did a good job at naturally disclosing another of Donovan's traits. In previous entries, I didn't get any hint that he was black. But here, you didn't just come out and say what race he is, but you took a clever way to insert his ethnicity in the form of his memory about his mother. (This is unrelated but in my January entry, one of Franklin's friends - Daryll if I'm not mistaken - is actually a black guy. I didn't get to disclose more about him, so I'm really impressed with what you did with Donovan here)

Other than that, I'm a little worried about Elias because it sounds like he's trapped with Tyler with no way to escape. Also...if I see another story about someone cheating, I'm gonna write 10 more fluff :cuteonion51: 

Spoiler

Respond to your feedback: DMMD!! So nostalgic! I have Mink's ending song in my Spotify! Before I start writing my stories, I would imagine how the plot will progress and see which POV would suit it better. So for this time, I used first person because it's more personal. We'll see how the next one goes.

You're quite right on the reincarnation part, but it's actually 50-50. I can't disclose about it now because as I mentioned in my feedback to Kujaku, I might keep the idea for later. 

Sorry to disappoint, but the parts that I cut are mostly Quinn's background. By the time he was having the "dream", I was already over 1500 and didn't think further than the scene at the beach where Quinn met Lachlan. If we have a suitable theme in the future, I might pick it up from there.

~~~~~~

Feedback for your story: Sorry that your had a bit of a difficult time with this month's theme. Nonetheless, you persevered! I think it's really admirable to push through even though you didn't think you could make it. Writer's block is a b*tch and I am well acquainted with it. I'm glad you're still here.

Having said that, I could see how much it affects your writing. Some of the words you used were used in a wrong context, so you need to be careful with that because it alters the meaning of your sentence. For example, you can take a look at the sentences where you used "whenever" and check if the meaning fits what you had intended for that particular scene. 

I also don't think you need to use the dash (—) when you close a dialogue. You just straight away continue with your sentence. I didn't see you use it in your previous entries, so I assume that this is because you were in a hurry and didn't have time to edit the story thoroughly.

FYI, Jean and Evans is my favorite couple from you so far, so I hope you could write about them again in the future and I believe you could do better. But, it's alright to take a break and go with other characters (if you want to) so that when you come back with Jean and Evans, it would be something fresh. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

This month's(March's) theme: Magic

3 given words: ball, copper, check

Word count: 1007

Title: A Little Sparkle of Magic

A little note: [Prequel to As a Gentle Wisteria's Touch...]

Some may say when you fall in love, you see nothing but only that special person, while everything else is in purple mist. Perhaps, for some, it feels like being under someone’s spell.

Or at least, this is how Ethan describes his caught feelings for John. Yet, it took a time long time before he admits to himself having feelings for his friend.

That’s right, not only the blond young man’s pleasant look, but his quick and talented hands work as mesmerizing charms.

Aside from never ceasing to amaze with how he mixes and prepares drinks, John has other talents. That's right, he can create the magic in his palm.

When the blond bartender has a free minute, he would pick a piece of paper, plastic cups, or other ordinary things and turn them into extraordinary ones.

For example, even by such simple tricks as turning water into tiny blocks of ice, making small objects to levitate, John can amaze his audience.

Sometimes, his magic skills can cheer up his best friend.

One time John told with a straight face that he can make a paper ball go through the counter.

Of course, Ethan objected that it was impossible. However, the blond wrapped the plastic cup in the paper. After hiding the paper ball under the cup, John smashed it with his fist.

Lastly, he revealed that the paper ball remained. It was followed by Ethan’s pointing out that this trick didn’t work. Yet, John asked whenever his friend was so sure.

Only after a minute or two, does Ethan realizes what was missing. Of course, it surprised him how his friend’s fist was so powerful that it made the plastic cup disappear.

Another example is his most recent trick. That’s right, Ethan had the worst day at work. So, as soon as his shift was over, he goes to a certain bar where his favorite bartender works.

After sitting down near the counter, he asks for his usual shot.

Seeing his friend so silent and upset concerns John. When he asks what happened, Ethan murmurs in a grumpy tone ‘‘Don’t ask, I messed up and that’s that stupid idiot’s fault. Whatever, I don’t wanna even think about it anymore. It’s nothing like it is important or anything.’’.

Of course, the dark-haired man keeps sulking, and it slowly gets on the bartender’s nerves. Yet, the long-haired blond patiently replies ‘‘Okay. If you don’t want to talk about it, that’s fine. But I’m sure that you’ll sort it out.’’.

When he takes the empty glass, John adds ‘‘Anyway, I have something for you.’’.
Ethan only suspiciously raises his eyebrow while staring. Surely, John cannot himself but smile at such an expression ‘‘Now, I’m sure that you would like it.’’.

After he picks up the empty box of chocolate, he hears Ethan’s grumpy question ‘‘And what am I supposed to do with that? You can throw it away by yourself.’’.

‘‘But I can refill it in no time. If you don’t believe me, I won’t share it with you.’’ John teases him.

‘‘Then, show it, pretty boy.’’ Ethan backfires as he cracks a smile.

‘It’s always so easy to distract you~’ or so, the blond thinks before starting another performance.

When he shows that both - the bottom and the box's lid are empty, there seems to be nothing to stand up or anything suspicious.

After John closes the box, he casts a silent spell.

Meanwhile, Ethan carefully observes his friend and wonders how he will pull this trick.

Before the bartender opens the lid, he speaks up ‘‘If you still don’t believe, let me prove you wrong. So, why don’t we check it out?’’.

Surprisingly, the box is full of assorted chocolates.

‘‘How is it possible? What did you do?’’ Ethan comments as he points with his palm at the box.

‘‘Magicians never tell their secrets, Ethan.’’ John declares in a proud tone. ‘‘But wait! There is something behind your ear.’’ He adds.

‘‘When did it?-’’ He couldn’t finish the sentence as he feels how his friend move his palm toward him. At this moment, Ethan’s cheeks dye in a darker tone of red, and he cannot process what is happening.

However, as soon as the blond with-draws his palm, he shows a copper coin in his fingers. Lastly, he adds in an innocent tone ‘‘I wonder how did it get there~’’.

‘Perhaps this man does not know about his bewitching charms. Otherwise, he won’t be doing this. That’s for sure…’ Or so, Ethan convinces himself while staring in awe.

In the meantime, the blond bartender snaps his fingers a few times ‘‘Are you okay? You are sure that you haven’t caught a cold?’’. Gladly, it returns his friend to this world.

When Ethan blinks and shakes his head, he tries to sound as chill as he could ‘‘Er… It’s nothing! I swear.’’. After a brief pause, he continues in a slightly shy tone ‘‘And thanks, man… Anyway, I need to go now. I don’t wanna make Christine worry.’’.

Before leaving his seat, his friend’s voice stops him ‘‘You forgot something.’’.

Ethan instantly turns back and checks inside his jacket and jeans pockets.

As John gives him a warm look, he gives him the box of chocolates ‘‘Here you go. You can have them, or you can give them to your girlfriend. Ah, and be careful on your way.’’.

While Ethan holds the box close to his heart, he lowers his gaze as he murmurs something under his nose. After he turns around, he leaves the bar.

One thing is sure, it was close enough before John figured out everything.

‘That handsome devil… You have no idea what you’re doing to me.’ The dark-haired man tells himself.

Despite that, he decides to keep the chocolates for himself. After all, it is like an unexpected gift.

However, instead of rushing to finish these chocolates, Ethan wants to save them for as long as possible. Lastly, he would keep the box as it was the most precious thing in this world.

• Like 2

#006 image March | Magic? | word count 1500
                    theme image Magic
                                words image hoax, burger, gem

Notes:
image The mentioned stone in the story is a Ruby Zoisite.
image The Abhartach is a dwarf from Irish folklore that terrorised people and was killed by the village's chieftain. The Abhartach returned and was killed again until the chieftain buried him upside down. In a version of the story, the Abhartach is said to be a vampire.

Spoiler

”I tell you, it’s the real thing!” Shane insisted.
“And how do you know that?” Jamie demanded incredulously.
“It could be real.” Fiona took sides.
Jamie let out a big sigh. “Guys, it’s impossible, the Abhartach didn’t have any gems, he didn’t have anything except, I don’t know, blood cravings.”
“But what if he did? The story doesn’t give a lot of details anyway. It only says that Abhartach was killed a few times, he could have been filthy rich.” Shane tried to make a point.

Jamie looked at the gem in Shane’s hand. “Does this look precious to you?” Shane and Fiona both looked at it then. The stone was peculiar, that was true, both purple and green, nothing like they’ve seen before and pretty much everyone owned some sort of stone attached to their rings, necklaces or earrings. None of them looked like that, like it was one colour and stained with another. This one didn’t even look expensive.

“I mean, it could be one of those super rare stones…” Fiona probed, but no one replied to her guess.

“Load of bullshit.” Jamie rolled his eyes and got up from the table when the bell rang. It was Friday and all he wanted was for school to be done so he could play for two blissful days. Summer was approaching too and it was a shame to not take advantage of the weather. The last thing he wanted was hearing crazy stories about a dwarf’s supposed possessions.
When, at the end of the day, neither Shane nor Fiona mentioned the gem again, Jamie was happy his two friends got over it. That is, until Saturday afternoon.

“I could eat this every single day!” Fiona spoke with her mouth full. She said that every single time she ate a burger made by Eagon, and both Jamie and Shane agreed, they were the best! After they ate, they chatted over cans of pop the same way they saw their parents and neighbours chat over pints of beer. They spent hours laughing and ordering ‘another one’ each time.

“So, about the gem, I really believe it belonged to the Abhartach.” Shane said all of a sudden.
“I’ve been thinking about it too, there’s something weird about that stone, like it has a power.” Fiona added.
“Yeah, the power to fool stupid people.” said Jamie.
“Don’t be mean, Jamie! I actually asked my brother about it.” Fiona said triumphantly.
“Good idea, Fiona!” Shane said excitedly and Jamie rolled his eyes.
“Your brother is an arse.”
“Here’s what he said.” Fiona ignored Jamie and unfolded a piece of paper. “The one who found the gem has to take it back to the place where he found it. You also have to have a blood soaked rag and your most precious possession.” Shane looked at the orange anorak he was wearing.
“Are you seriously more worried about your bloody blouse than an actual bloody rag?” Jamie asked in disbelief.
“It’s my favourite.”
“What about the actual blood? Who’re you gonna kill?”
“It doesn’t say you have to kill someone. I could cut my finger.”
“It said ‘soaked’!”
“Maybe we can go to the butcher and ask for some blood.” Fiona intervened.
“Brilliant.” Jamie said sarcastically and Fiona shrugged.
“We’ll figure out the blood part. What next, Fi?”
“Well, next, you have to burn the rag and your possession…” Fiona took a long look at the anorak. Everyone knew how much Shane loved it, he wore it almost every day, he’d been pissed the first time his mum washed it and right now he looked like he was about to cry.
“Go on.” He said trying to display courage.
“Then you have to put the ashes on your head, ask for forgiveness from the Abhartach, then bury the gem in the exact same place you found it.”
“I found it on the pavement!” Jamie burst out laughing at Shane’s despair. “How do I bury it in the fecking concrete?” By the time Shane finished talking, Jamie almost couldn’t breathe laughing.
“Good one, Shane, I bet the Abhartach just took a stroll round town and dropped it.”
“Wait, how do we burn something in the middle of the street?” Fiona wanted to know.
“What about digging concrete, Fiona?”
“What about how obviously a hoax this is? Her brother is taking the piss at you, Shane.”
“Not true, I didn’t tell him who found the stone.”
“Then he’s taking the piss at you.” Jamie shrugged.
“Let’s take it one thing at a time.” Fiona ignored Jamie again. “First, we have the most precious possession, second we need the rag soaked in blood. I’m going to ask Eagon.” And with that she got up and went towards the restaurant’s kitchen.

“Jamie… I really need your help with this.” Shane whispered and when Jamie looked at him, he swallowed his next remark.
Shane didn’t look at him, didn’t make eye contact. His lower lip was trembling just slightly, his hands were tight into fists, knuckles almost white. Jamie didn’t think about it, it was obvious to him that the whole story was just some stupid thing kids like to pass around, but Shane was actually upset.
“You can count on me.” And just like that Shane’s shoulders sagged just a bit and he let out a sigh of relief.
“Thank you.” He whispered.

The thing with Shane was that, yes, they were friends, all three of them, but Jamie still hoped one day he could kiss Shane. It wasn’t clear when he started having a crush on one of his best friends, but something about Shane made him unsettled. Right now, he wondered if…
“Here’s the rag.” Both Jamie and Shane were startled by the sloshy bag Fiona dropped on the table.
“Ew.” They both said.
“That’s two things we have figured out.”
“I don’t even want to now what you told Eagon.” Jamie said. “Right, well, we can’t burn these in broad daylight so let’s meet outside after dinner, in front of Karl’s.”

After plans were made, and Fiona got over the initial surprise that Jamie was on board, the three split and each went to their own home. After dinner, as agreed, they met at the decided location. ‘Karl’s’ was actually the barber shop which was owned by Karl. Since the town was so little, no one bothered with actual shop names. They had names, but everyone knew everyone, it made no sense to call them something made up.

Shane was not wearing the anorak, he was holding it to his chest while Fiona carried the bag with the bloodied rag. It squelched sickeningly.
“I think maybe Eagon exaggerated with that blood…” Jamie said. He was carrying a small shovel.

“Here it is.” Shane said and stopped on the pavement. “I think this is the exact spot.” All three of them looked at the concrete. They looked around for a spot they could dig.
“There’s a crack, we can’t get better than that. I’ll dig while you burn the things.” Jamie said and probed the crack. It was crumbly and he managed to dig a big enough hole for the gem while Shane burned the anorak and the rag.

“All done.” Fiona said solemnly when the fire extinguished, leaving behind a pile of ash. Shane’s eyes were red and not because of the smoke. He took a deep breath, picked up the ash and put it on his head while saying “Abhartach, I’m sorry for taking your gem, I didn’t know it was yours. I’m returning it to you so please forgive me and don’t posses me. Thank you.”
Fiona nodded solemnly while Jamie coughed. He still thought the whole thing was ridiculous, but kept his laughter in and his mouth shut.
Shane produced the gem out of his pocket and buried it in the small hole Jamie dug. He then stood up and took a deep breath. Jamie thought his face looked resigned and more relaxed then.

They walked Fiona home in silence. It wasn’t exactly warm at night and the wind didn’t help either. All three of them were cold, but although the town was safe and everyone knew everyone, neither Jamie nor Shane wanted to let Fiona walk by herself at night. Their worry came more from TV than real life, there was barely anything happening there.

From Fiona’s home, Jamie and Shane had to turn back and then go on different ways. When they reached the intersection, Shane stopped suddenly. He took a deep breath and turned around to face Jamie. He opened his mouth then closed it. Did it again. Jamie wasn’t sure if he was supposed to say something, ask something or just wait. Finally, Shane said: “Thank you for tonight,” then he nodded and started running towards his house.

Jamie looked after him bewildered. He could have sworn that was not what Shane meant to say, but something much more important. Jamie didn’t know what, but hoped he would one day find out.

imageimageimage

Edited by Kujaku
  • Like 2

Month: March (2022)
Theme: Magic
Words: Card, Wand, Rabbit
Extra word: Violin

Word count: 1426 words
Rating: G
Trigger warning: Cringe (lol)

Title: He's a super-magician now??

spacer.png

Story:

Spoiler

>> This is a work of fiction. Unless otherwise indicated, all the names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents in this book are either the product of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner.
Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. <<

I’m perplexed. Strange things have happened to me lately. Well, stranger things. Normally I only lose one or two items per week and once I buy a replacement or take out a spare, I would find them in places I don’t normally look. But this time, not only had I lost more than a couple of things, I found items that I certainly didn’t own in their place instead. 

To date, my list of missing items included, but not limited to my Peter Rabbit mug, the right side of my fuzzy slippers, two tubes of watercolour, a raggedy bandana and a crab hair clip. 

Jordan came into the kitchen and pecked my pouty lips. “Did someone steal your cocoa puffs? What’s with the long face?” He asked, moving to the fridge and took out a jug of orange juice. 

“My cocoa puffs are safe in its box, I think. Unless that’s another thing that’s gone missing without my noticing. Have you seen my mug?”

Jordan poured some orange juice into a glass and shook his head before taking a sip. After emptying half of its contents, he opened the cabinet and took out two mugs - a couple set that he got me as a gag gift last Christmas - then pushed the yellow one towards me. He used the cerulean one for his coffee.

“But it’s not my Peter Rabbit mug,” I whined childishly. 

It wasn’t like I couldn't use other mugs, but my mornings didn’t feel complete if I didn’t drink from it. There was something inspiring when you finish your milk in the morning to a cute painting of a rabbit in a blue jacket saying “have a magical day ahead!” at the bottom of the porcelain piece. Although the mug Jordan got me was nice and beautifully hand-painted, it didn’t lift my spirit the same way.

“Don’t you think it’s weird that my things kept going missing?” I grumbled as I grudgingly poured some milk into the new mug. 

Jordan chuckled and gave the back of my head a kiss. It felt like he was making fun of my height, but that was just me finding his flaws. Damn perfect superhero boyfriend. 

“I’ve been missing some of my favourite sweaters too. Do you know where they were?” Jordan asked me instead of answering my question. 

It was a trap question of course, because we both knew that I had been squirrelling his jumpers to wear whenever he’s not around. I get his point, though. I wasn’t known as the most meticulous person in daily life, so missing or misplacing a few household items was not uncommon when it came to me. It wasn’t that big of a deal but I need my Peter Rabbit mug!

Anyway, the conversation that morning ended and life went on. At least, that was what I thought. Remember when I said new things appeared in place of my missing items? Yeah, now I had to come up with a new list.

I drew a somewhat straight line in the middle of my missing items list so I can write the new items list next to it. The first item was a stack of Jordan’s name card; the one that had his house address. Then I found a set of bells, followed by a pigeon keychain, a bag of rice and a candle. 

“Okay, ‘fess up you scheming man. Where is my stuff and why is there a bag of rice in my cereal box?” I waved the candle I found as if it was a wand, acting like my boyfriend was Voldermort from Harry Potter and I was fighting against him. 

“Oohh, careful with that.” Jordan raised his hands as if trying to placate me, but he was obviously amused by my antics. “Say abracadabra and maybe things that had gone missing would reappear?” He suggested playfully. 

I puffed out my cheeks and threw the candle at him, which he caught easily with one hand. I wasn’t really angry, but if he did something to my precious mug, who knew what I might paint next. I am, afterall, still a villain despite steadily dating him for over a year. 

Jordan put away my weapon of choice then proceeded to wrap me in a loose hug. It took me a while to finally accept that I was in a relationship with a superhero. I did a number of things to him that I wasn’t proud of. I thrashed his house, ruined his shoes and cut his socks. So, I kind of understood if he wanted a little payback and hid all my things. Though, it wasn’t Jordan’s style. 

Also, no one hurt my Peter Rabbit mug. That was just plain evil.

“When was the last time you looked in your bedside drawer?” Jordan asked.

I lifted my head so I could look at him. This guy was onto something. Lucky me, his chin happened to be within my mouth’s reach, so I opened wide and bit him hard enough to leave teeth marks. Jordan yelped. 

“My mug better be in one piece when I open the drawer or you might not want me anywhere near your crotch for a while.”

Jordan instantly covered his nether region with his hands as I passed him to get to my bedroom. 

It was “my” bedroom because Jordan and I were not cohabiting. He lived next door, so I didn’t see why we should move in together. His unit was big, while mine was just enough space for myself and my paintings, just the way I liked. Jordan had offered to convert my place into an exclusive painting studio, but I didn’t think that was necessary. Honestly, he was just finding excuses to pamper me.

When I pulled my bedside drawer, Peter Rabbit was staring back at me and wishing me to “have a magical day ahead!”. I picked it up with a huge grin. I may have had a mug full of milk, but no one said I couldn’t help myself to a second serving.

“It’s that easy to make you damn happy?” Jordan asked from where he was leaning against the door frame. 

“Well, yeah. It’s Peter Rabbit. My first painting was Peter Rabbit. You should know how much I love Beatrix Potter’s illustrations.”

Jordan sighed dramatically. “Then I guess that thing inside that mug is a waste.”

That thing inside that mug? 

“What do you mean? It’s empty.”

“You sure?”

Of course I was. Just a minute ago Peter was wishing me to have a magical day. 

I gave the empty mug a little shake and was surprised by a clinking sound. When I looked inside, there was a small moonstone attached to a thin, circular, shiny metal. My eyes went as round as the gemstone when I realized what it was. 

“How…it wasn’t in here just now.” I looked up at Jordan suspiciously. “Is this your superpower?” 

“No,” he said and took the ring from my fiddling fingers. “It’s magic.”

“Really?” I replied a bit condescendingly. 

“You believe in superpowers but not in magic?”

I shrugged, though my heart was beating so fast. Were we going to ignore the elephant in the room?

“So, name cards, bells, pigeon–”

“They’re turtle doves.”

“Okay, uh…candle and rice?

“And this,” he held up the moonstone ring, took my hand and slid it straight onto my ring finger. “My life has been magical with you in it. Would you do me the honour of permanently being my magically wedded villain? By that, I mean, say yes and marry me?”

It turned out, he was hinting about the proposal by putting what I thought were random things around my place. Name card with his address, “wedding” bells, turtle dove keychain, “unity” candle, a bag of rice and “couple” mugs – all things related to a wedding and I missed the clues. Even if Jordan had hired someone to play the violin while he went down on one knee, I would still have no idea until he clearly asked for my hand in marriage. 

“Toby?” Baby?”

I blinked a few times, coming back from my reverie. Jordan was looking a little nervous. Did he think I was going to say no? Where did all his confidence go? The villain in me perked up and decided to tease my future fiance a little.

“Say the magic word and the answer is yes.”

I never said I was good at being a villain. Rather than being dispirited, Jordan’s smile was big and infectious as he heard my reply.

“Please.”

~ The End ~

Author's note:

Spoiler

I feel bad that the quality for Jordan-Toby story isn't as good as the ones before. Also, I don't think I follow the theme that well, I was just pushing myself to complete this piece. I gave a lot of hints in the story but not explanation; they're like easter eggs that you have to understand on your own, or have to ask, lol. Anyway, hope to do better next time!

Edited by 3ruri
  • Like 2

Review time!

Spoiler

The first paragraph was a nice start, and also, I liked how your paragraphing style and dialogue style are much more cleaner and easier to read this time. Good job!

The story was pretty much what I imagined when I thought of the "Magic" theme. It must be a bit tricky to put the magic demo into words. Nice try!

I'm just a little confused sometimes when I read your story. Overall, they are understandable, but I wonder if what I read is what you exactly intend it to be. 

Anyway, good to see John and Ethan again!

Spoiler

That was one story packed with interesting facts! I loved the note at the beginning, it helped so much with the reading. I imagined Shane as someone really cute. I felt bad that he had to burn his fav anorak, tho Idk who would wear orange these days (lol, everyone always stick with black, it's so basic). 

To be honest, I didn't really care about the romance this time because the events were so engaging! You managed to pique my interest about the dwarf and the gemstone, so I felt the suspense on how things will end. A little disappointed that the dwarf didn't show up tho. 

Anyway, is this the same Jamie from your previous stories? So this was an event of the past? I wonder what happened to Shane then.

• Thanks 2

Spoiler

I have to agree with 3ruri on this, I too was confused at times, but it all got together eventually. I don't know why, but at some point I thought John and Ethan reversed roles. I went back to re-read some parts and everything seemed to be as it should, so dunno why I got that impression.

Other than that, the story is nice and I liked the way you used the words, my favourite was 'check' for some reason, it blended in so nicely.

Spoiler

The story started off with a mystery, I liked that. Who would steal things and replace them with something else? What a thoughtful—maybe—thief.

But OMG, I was oblivious to what was actually happening! Toby insisted on his Peter Rabbit mug (love where you went with the words) that I was also so focused on just it. I mean, damn it, give him back his most important mug! Of course I didn't think anything bad happened to it, but Toby kept mentioning it I couldn't help thinking about where it might be.

The hints were very clever and I really didn't pick up on any of them. I gasped when I read the part where Toby found the ring, I was so clueless. You put me right into Toby's shoes from start to finish. (I also wonder what would have happened if Toby came across the missing objects by mistake, lol. I bet he wouldn't have figured it out.)

I also love how none of this was something that Jordan would do, it was so uncharacteristic to him that it would have been impossible to guess what he was planning. So well done!

Needless to say I loved the story, I really had fun reading it. And I loved the mention that they were dating for a year already at this point. May they have a happy marriage and an... intense move-in day, hehe.

P.S.: No reason to feel bad about the story, it turned out great! And about the theme, there are so many different types of magic.

Now allow me to reply to your feedback.
Yes, it is the same Jamie. The events in this story happened when the characters were about 15 years old, give or take. Jamie, Shane, and Fiona are still keeping in touch, but as of what happened to Shane, that's a story for another time.

• Thanks 2

Okay, it seems that for today I only have enough of strength to read and review your entries. I'm sorry, but yesterday I had a night-shift, and today I still feel like having a head full of cotton and nothing else

A-anyway, I will check tomorrow you feedbacks because rn my I can it's no good in current state... So, hopefully, brief reviews could do this time

:

Spoiler

I just finally finished reading your story (so, never misunderstood the power of third cup of coffee in the row). So, it was nice to see some sort of magical ritual based on Irish folklore (Yay, for letting us learn something new! ♡^▽^♡ )

More so, it felt like a true adventurous trip. So, I can bet that Jamie and the gang had a good time and perhaps, buried that stone which belonged to that dwarf. Also good luck for Jamie, 'cos hopefully, he would find a way to confess to Shane.

:

Spoiler

'Right! And just done reading ^^ So, what I noticed that you like to use first-person POV for Toby/Jordan stories (perhaps, it is their stories' signature, or I think. And you know that I always welcome the stories about this pairing)

You know, at first when I started to read, I thought ''Hmm, is gonna be that Toby placed his fav mug in another spot and after searching thoroughly, he would find at the most ''obvious'' place''. However, it was an unpredictable plot-twist.

Yup, I'm as surprised as Toby by such proposal (so, Toby wasn't the one who couldn't read those hints xD)

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Month: April (2022)
Theme: The result wasn't exactly gold medal-worthy
Words: bruise, prize, clumsy
Extra word: vine
Word count: 1438 words
Rating: NSFW 18+
Trigger warning: Smut, full-on intercourse ahead! Readers be warned!

Title: Winning a bet (and losing at the same time)

spacer.png

Story >>

Spoiler

Sage heard the leaves rustled outside of his bedroom window and he knew he was about to have a visitor. He had only seconds to shuck off his thick sweater and replaced it with a thin, tiny t-shirt and stretchy sweatpants that made his butt look nicer. He wasn’t normally so promiscuous, but to win the bet, he had to try all means.

Less than a minute later, R.J appeared on his mini balcony. He was cursing while holding a broken vine in his hand and some dried leaves tangled in his hair. Sage opened the door to his balcony and looked at R.J in amusement. 

“Trouble getting up here, Romeo?” he asked.

R.J threw away the broken piece of the climbing plant and smoothened his perfectly coiffed hair. “I would’ve used the stairs if I didn’t know you got tingly all over when I climbed through your balcony.” His grin looked a little arrogant, but there was a charming quality to it.

And to be honest, R.J was right. Sage liked it when his childhood best friend climbed into his bedroom like a secret paramour rather than use the front door like a civilized person. 

“Aww, you love me,” Sage replied. 

“Not unless you say it first.” 

“Fat chance. I’m not that easy.”

R.J looked at him from head to toe and snorted. “Yeah, right.” 

Sage truly wasn’t. But less than a month ago, he and R.J had made a bet. Whoever said “I love you” before the other, loses. Neither planned to admit defeat, so the two of them did everything in the book to get the other to cave in. Thus, excessive flirting and awkward seduction commenced.

It had been fun.

To be honest, Sage wouldn’t mind confessing his feelings with outright sincerity. What he felt for R.J had evolved from friendship to romantic starting from when they were merely highschool freshmen. The two of them hardly ever kept any secrets from each other, so his affections towards his best friend since birth was always out in the open. R.J knew about it. Nonetheless, he didn’t try to avoid it or ever belittle the affection Sage harbored against him. Yet the teen never acknowledged it either. 

“How was practice?” Sage asked as they made themselves comfortable in his room.

R.J took a seat on the chair at the study desk and swivelled it around to face Sage who plonked on his own bed. A mild, fresh scent wafted in the air as R.J moved. Sage could tell that his friend had taken a shower after his karate practice. 

R.J lifted his shirt and showed Sage his well-defined torso. A bluish-purple tint had formed on the right side of his abdomen. “Got this during a spar.” R.J announced proudly.

“Ouch! That’s one nasty bruise.” Sage winced. He could do sports, but one thing he can’t tolerate is pain. He would only stick to individual ones like running tracks or cycling.

“Doesn’t even hurt that much, you should see how I flipped the other guy over,” R.J replied and got up to demonstrate his karate moves. Mimicking his opponent, he threw himself onto the bed next to Sage. “Don’t tell my mom, though. We have a match this Saturday. Don’t want her to make a big deal out of it.”

“What’s in it for me?”

“Does everything have to come with a reward?”

Sage moved closer and straddled R.J’s hips. “Last month when I pierced my nipple, you made me blow you to keep your mouth shut about it. Now you want me to do charity?”

“Do it because you love me?”

Sage shook his head. “My love is not cheap.”

“I’m broke.”

“Hah!” Sage barked a laugh. “You drive a new Ford to school. you have the latest Iphone, you wear brand-name clothes. If that makes you broke, then ninety percent of students in our school are lowly peasants.”

“It’s because I bought you this 14K gold piece for your nipple.” R.J flicked his finger against the metal showing through the fabric of Sage’s thin white t-shirt. “Looks nice, by the way.”

Sage grinned, pleased by the compliment. He only got the piercing done for one side because he can’t handle the pain. He almost chickened out, but R.J had bought him the pricey curved barbell as a present, so he didn’t want it to go to waste. 

“It’s completely healed now, wanna see?” Sage’s eyes glowed in excitement. He didn’t wait for R.J to respond before pulling his t-shirt off. The gold jewellery glinted as the light hit the surface, making his topless body appear indecent. 

R.J reached up and fiddled the barbell. After Sage got the piercing, it was a little red and swollen. But as Sage had said, it had perfectly healed. R.J gave it a little tug, testing what kind of effect it would cause his friend. He wasn’t disappointed when Sage hissed and let out a soft whine. 

“Hurts?” 

“No, just a little sting.”

R.J flicked Sage’s pierced nipple hard. “Now?”

Sage shook his head. He was intolerant to pain which was a known fact by everyone close to him. But the little torture inflicted by R.J was more pleasure than agony. In fact, it made him a little hard. 

The biological reaction was obviously noticed by R.J. Not moving his hand from the pierced nub, he used the other one to fondle Sage’s untouched nipple. 

“Let’s get this one pierced too.” He decided for Sage.

“O-one is enough.” Sage stuttered. Aside from having a weakness to pain, he was also easily stimulated. The person who found out about this little information was the one and only R.J.

R.J repeatedly stroked the dusky pink flesh up and down with the back of his pointer finger. “I’ll buy you another barbell…or would you like a horseshoe this time?”

“Nnh…w-what do you like?”

“I like…”

R.J opened his mouth and swallowed his answer along with Sage’s hard bud, making Sage’s body arched beautifully on his lap. The latter held tightly onto R.J’s shoulder as his teat was tenderly bitten and sucked. At the same time, R.J rhythmically tugged on the curved accessory adorning Sage’s other nipple. Once he pulled his mouth away, Sage’s chest was wet with saliva.

“Who’s home?” R.J asked a breathless Sage.

“Everyone’s out until dinner.”

“Door’s locked?”

Sage nodded quickly.

The frightening thing about two horny teenagers was, they didn’t usually wait for declarations of love before exploring each other’s bodies. In just a few moves, Sage had had his ass up in the air and his face buried in a pillow. R.J was positioned behind him, pounding intensely that the bed shook. Sage couldn’t recall how many times they had fucked since junior year. They were clumsy and awkward at first, but as soon as they got the hang of it, they went through the condoms faster than the drugstore could restock them. 

“Give it up already,” R.J bent down and whispered in Sage’s ear. “You like me this much and you won’t say it?” He ground deeper into Sage.

Sage whimpered. The words were on the tip of his tongue. “R-ryan James, I—”

“Yes?”

“I—” Sage was about to say it but his words were garbled and turned into a pleasure-filled scream when R.J’s continuous hit to his sweet spot brought him his climax. 

R.J wrapped his arms tightly around Sage’s chest, thrusting rapidly into the clenching channel as Sage rode out his orgasm. He came hard inside the quaking body, filling the rubber to the brim. 

Sage was trapped under R.J's heaving body after that. Their breathing was erratic following the powerful release. R.J kept nuzzling and showering him with pecks and nibbles, drafting his skin with little markings like he was his little prize

“Listen, Sage Errol. I’m only going to say this once,” The breathy voice whispered. “I love you.”

Sage’s eyes widened and he involuntarily shivered. It wasn’t how he imagined it would go, but his heart fluttered and his body responded to the confession. He became excited, unknowingly wiggling his hips enthusiastically in an attempt to dislodge himself from beneath the other teen. The result wasn’t exactly gold medal-worthy, because he didn't get to savor the moment for long before R.J took it as a sign to go for another round. 

He may have won the bet, but it seemed like R.J reaped all the benefits.

~ The end ~

Author's note >>

Spoiler

My short story this time is full-on explicit content. I initially intended for a little flirting and a mild make out session. I swear I didn't know how it turned NSFW! Anyway, I hope I was able to pull off this month's theme challenge. The phrase was quite challenging, but it was refreshing as well! Looking forward to read the other two stories!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This month's(April's) theme: The result wasn’t exactly gold medal-worthy

3 given words: rainbow, pot, sparrow

Word count: 1069

Title:Maybe It Wasn't a Missing Shot...

(okay, this theme was a bit difficult, but on the last days of this month, I figure out what to do. More so, someone couldn't concentrate at all)

Spoiler

It is finally the long-awaited spring. Perhaps this time, Ethan will find a perfect chance to tell about his feeling for one blond bartender.

And what is the best way to do it? Of course, by impressing your crush with your skills!

Yet, how to do it when someone you like can not only mix a perfect drink but also make magic out of nothing? It won’t be a simple task, that is for sure.

However, maybe the luck is on his side.

A couple of days pass. After a long day at work, Ethan goes home until something catches his eye. Apparently, one poster on the nearest wall stands out from the rest.

Across the blue background, it is decorated with spring flowers, fluffy chickens in the eggshells, branches with blooming buds, Easter eggs, and other details.

Above all this, there is something typed out on the rainbow. Apparently, it is an announcement about the incoming Easter Festival which will be in one of the biggest parks in the city, and the festival’s program.

And thus, Ethan invites his friend. Hopefully, the blond bartender may have a day off.

A few days pass by. The long-awaited day finally arrives. After the dark-haired man picks up John, both are going to their destination point.

As they reach the city’s square, they are greeted with a festive, uplifting, and welcoming mood lingering in the air. The food stands and shops are open, and even the local artisans are here to show and share their proud works.

On their way, something piques the blond’s interest. As his chin points out at the shooting gallery, he addresses Ethan in a playful tone ‘‘Are you up for some challenge?’’.

‘‘Sure. Why not? But I warn you, I could beat you even with my eyes closed. So, just watch me.’’ The dark-haired man replies, acting cool.

‘‘Just be careful and not to shoot your foot, okay? I don’t want to break my spine like last time when someone was asleep during my shift. Believe it or not, you are not so light to carry, you know.’’ John backfires in a patient tone.

‘‘Oh, come on, it only happened once. It’s not my fault that I fall asleep. And now you gonna remind this each time? You could just call a taxi if you wanted. Anyway, whoever gets fewer points will have to pay the full price when we hang out next time.’’ Ethan suggests.

‘‘Well, you can start saving up the money, my dear friend.’’ The blond replies in a playful tone.

The dark-haired man knows that now there is no way he can lose. Not just after making such an announcement. After all, his pride is at stake.

After reaching the counter, Ethan insists on paying for the tickets. Of course, John almost snorts and chuckles at his friend acting like a hero from the action movies. Or rather, like a small sparrow who cannot sit in one spot and keep chirping while trying to act like a bird.

As he takes the shotgun into his hands, Ethan announces with such determination in his voice ‘‘Watch me! I’ll win this one.’’.

When the dark-haired man takes a deep breath, he aims at the target below the big teddy bear.

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts, Ethan finally hits the target. For sure, his friend’s reaction makes his victory even more accomplishing. As he holds his giant plushy toy, Ethan proudly declares ‘‘How’s that? I told you, I can do it.’’.

Yet, the blond replies in an as chill manner as he can ‘‘Not bad, not bad at all. But I can do it better!’’.

While hugging the teddy bear, Ethan replies ‘‘Then, I’m waiting for ~’’.

Despite it being John’s first time holding a gun, he imitates the same stance as his friend. Finally, he aims at the target and pulls the trigger.

As the bullet blasts the expensive-looking pot, the blond falls to the ground.

Fortunately, Ethan rushes toward his fallen friend. As he helps to get up, the dark-haired man gives an avalanche of questions ‘‘Are you alright? Did you get hurt anywhere?’’.

Even the person who held this game got concerned. However, John gives a comforting smile and chuckles while rubbing his nape ‘‘Please, don’t worry about it. I’m fine. I am really.’’. Then, he apologizes to the game’s owner for destroying the prize and politely asks to use his remaining attempts.

The result wasn’t exactly gold medal-worthy. Although, John kept missing the targets. Yet, he feels like accomplishing something great. After all, it’s his first time doing something like this. He knew that nothing is scary when his friend was by his side. Besides, Ethan cheered on him, and it worked as the best charm he could ask for.

Lastly, the dark-haired man holds the teddy bear in front of John while confessing in a slightly embarrassed tone ‘‘Here. You are the one who deserves it.’’.

Just as John widens his eyes and dumbfounded stares at Ethan, the dark-haired man continues ‘‘You should have warned me about that earlier… A-anyway, even for the first time, you did well. So, take it.’’.

As John takes the teddy bear, he just warmly smiles at him.

Thanks to such an expression, Ethan can feel how his cheeks are pinkish color. Yet, he cracks a slightly nervous smile and asks ‘‘What is it? Did I say anything wrong?’’.

John holds the plushy toy in one arm while the other hand reaches his friend. While he ruffles the dark-haired man’s hair, he thanks in a warm and gentle tone ‘‘Thank you.’’.

At the moment, Ethan just silently stares at the blond like nothing seems to exist in the world aside from him and John.

‘Tonight. Tonight, during the fireworks show, I gonna do it. So, even if these three words might end my life, but I’m ready to say them. Don’t you think you’ll get away this time by stealing something precious to me, you pretty boy…’ Ethan thinks to himself while dazing at his friend.

So, even if there is still a lot of time until that moment, he cherishes the last memories with his beloved bartender. Or so, this is the only outcome he is prepared for.

Yet, Ethan doesn't realize that these three words are the simplest yet, most difficult to say words that can be the beginning of the brand-new chapter.

#007 image April | Birthday Intentions | word count 1035
                    theme image The result wasn't exactly gold medal-worthy.
                                words image burp, ulcer, wheelbarrow

Notes:
          image I did not organise well this month so I'm super late, sorry about that.
          image The story is a disaster through and through. Didn't properly edit it as I just finished writing.

Spoiler

There was flour and cocoa powder all over the floor. Elias ignored the egg white slowly dripping off the counter, he didn’t have time to clean up right now. He was in a hurry and the cake didn’t look any better than half an hour ago when he started decorating it. And there was only half an hour left until Elias had to leave the apartment. He wasn’t even dressed and the cake was a disaster. Only sheer determination stopped Elias from breaking down and starting to cry.

But why was Elias, the same Elias who couldn’t even flip a pancake and managed to burn a simple microwave brownie in the oven not long ago, making a cake from scratch?

It all snowballed since a few months ago, after Elias’s best friend, May, and her fiance, Jamie, broke-up. After the event, Elias started hanging out with Jamie more often, but it wasn’t until this afternoon that he learned it was Jamie’s birthday and he felt like he had to do something to celebrate.

Why bake an entire cake from scratch, though? Because Jamie was special. Jamie was kind and funny. Jamie didn’t have a bad word about anyone. Jamie had the most intriguing green eyes and the most unreal red hair. Jamie had a nice face, and a muscled body that could keep someone safe. But most of all, Jamie was the one Elias was irremediably in love with. For his own boyfriend, for Tyler, Elias had bought a sad looking little cupcake to celebrate his birthday, but to Jamie he wanted to show everything he could not say.

So that’s why Elias was baking a cake for the first time in his life at six in the evening.

Even harder than the baking, which was essentially following directions, was the decorating stage. Elias’s hands were trembling, he wanted the cake to look perfect, although he knew there was no way that was going to happen.

The frosting was whipped cream and it looked suspiciously liquid. Somehow Elias managed to cover the whole cake in it, minus one or two spots, in a very thin, dripping, layer. Next, he grabbed the sprinkles, but right before he opened the bag he stopped. Would Jamie like sprinkles?

Carefully, slowly, Elias picked up the chocolate chips. He took one out of the bag and placed it on top of the cake. Then another one. And another. He admired his work so far and started feeling confident all of a sudden, so he added more chips in a polka dot pattern. Did Jamie like polka dots?

Any more worrying about this cake today and Elias was afraid he would develop an ulcer. Him checking the time didn’t help either, he had to rush if he would make it in time to Jamie’s place, right before he knew Jamie will go to the gym.

Elias dumped his clothes on the bathroom floor, washed his hands and face, then picked up a pair of jeans and a simple black t-shirt. He got dressed and changed the t-shirt with a short sleeved beige shirt. That was better.

Back into the kitchen Elias stopped short when he saw the cake. The frosting dripped off the sides, the chocolate chips were not neatly on top of the cake anymore, but sliding slowly towards the bottom. He couldn’t give Jamie that cake!

With a groan and deeply disappointed, Elias rushed out of the apartment, not wanting to see the cake anymore. He worked for hours on it and it was a disaster.

He decided to stop at a bakery where he got a small cheesecake, then headed for Jamie’s place. It crossed Elias’s mind that Jamie might already have plans, but he knew he didn’t have many friends so there was a chance he was at home. A very small chance that became no chance as Elias pressed the door bell. There was no answer.

Elias bit his lip, shook his head and retraced his steps out of the building. He was a fool for doing all this without even talking to Jamie beforehand, to at least make sure he would be available.

There was a lump in Elias’s throat, he felt embarrassed despite no one witnessing his actions in the last few hours.

The way back home took longer. Elias decided to walk back and cool down. Tyler was supposed to be back only the day after tomorrow, so Elias wasn’t worried about cleaning up just yet. There was plenty of time.

He wondered if to call Jamie, but didn’t want to disturb him if he was with someone. Then again, he didn’t actually wish him a happy birthday so he sent him a short text. That’ll do.

Back home the cake looked in an even worse state, part of it even slid off on the table. It looked like it was transported in a wheelbarrow.

The cheesecake ended up in the fridge and Elias took a fork out of the drawer. The result wasn’t exactly gold medal-worthy, but it did not taste that bad. It tasted like a weird sponge cake, but still edible. The frosting was bizarre, and Elias scrapped it off, but the sponge, yes, it was okay, although a bit dense. Now Elias was glad the cake didn’t reach Jamie, he would have felt so bad to make him eat it.

To wash away the cake, Elias got a bottle of beer out of the fridge, took a big swig and let out a burp after he swallowed the bitter liquid. It was even more bitter after cake.

Elias’s phone vibrated in his pocket and he pulled it out to a text message from Jamie, thanking him for the wishes. He didn’t ask how Elias knew it was his birthday, but he probably could figure out that May was the one who told him.

Elias saved the date in his calendar, closed his eyes then opened them with fiery determination, and promised himself that next birthday he would make a delicious and amazing looking cake for Jamie.  By then maybe he’ll also find enough courage to tell him how he felt instead of attempting to show him in vague ways.

Edited by Kujaku
  • Like 1

Okay, it seems that this month's feedbacks are a bit of late ^^''

A-anyway, let me add the quick reviews before seeing what the new month has to offer.

:

Spoiler

let me tell you one thing, sometimes even in the writing story process, you may be planned one thing, but the final result might be surprising and unpredictable (So, like someone has said : ''even as an author/writer, you don't really have the control over your written characters. After all, they live their own life while all you can do is being a bystander and comment what they do''.

Personally, that is one of the best part in the writing ^^ Yup, you don't know what kind of outcome you can expect each time (not sure if it is for the better or worse).

As for the story, before reading the A/N, I was genially surprised how quickly this turned into the smut (Yup, you did something that I'm still afraid and not ready - writing something like that in a certain limit of words. So, kudos for you!)

Secondly, I don't think that I've seen you using these characters. So, nice to see new characters entering the game( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

And surely, R.J. and Sage are something xD Yup, I like how they are challenging each other while also seem to can't get off their hands of each other. Nice one-shot!

:

Spoiler

First of all, please, don't worry, you still made it ^^ and I feel relieved knowing that you are not quit this challenge...

A-anyway,

That was a sweet one-shot!❤

And Ellias surely seem to be a caring fellow. So, now I wonder what may happen if James would find out that someone put their all effort, time and care into making him a present like that~

On the other hand, the first pancake (or in this case, a cake) is always turn out to be burned. So, hopefully, after such first ''failed'' attempt, Ellias won't be discouraged and would try one time... someday.

• Thanks 2

Spoiler

Sage and R.J. had chemistry right from the start, I was surprised to find out they weren't already a couple. But their relationship was so peculiar, I actually liked it very much. It was clear from the dialogue—which I liked a lot—that they had an open and honest relationship, being friends first and whatever else after that.

I really liked the outcome too. Dunno about anyone else, but I sure am glad the story turned NSFW, it was steamy.

There are two books with a similar pairing that I kept wanting to re-read and I think your story made me want to really go into it.

I do have to mention something, though.

On 4/21/2022 at 6:54 PM, 3ruri said:

Nonetheless, he didn’t try to avoid it or ever belittle the affection Sage harbored against him.

'against' sounds like a negative thing while 'affection' is a nice feeling. I would have used 'for' instead.

I really enjoyed reading this, Sage and R.J. are a cool couple. image

Spoiler

Ohh, I see Ethan and John again! It's nice seeing how their relationship develops in these short stories. I also liked that you choose to set this story around Easter, makes for some immersive reading this time of year.

I didn't get why John fell, though. Was it because of the gun's force? (That's called something, there's a word for it, but I cannot remember it and I don't even know how to look it up.)

I liked the banter between Ethan and John and I'm glad to see Ethan making a decision to confess. It took him quite some time, but I am also glad you're not rushing things. I do hope we'll get to read about the confession too. image

Edited by Kujaku
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the super late review. I think I'm biting more than I can chew with a number of commitments that demand my attention, but here's my feedback for previous challenge before we start posting the new short stories!

Blue Bear Love GIF by Tonton Friends

Spoiler
Finally they go on a date! I imagine that it was a super big, super cute teddy! But like Kujaku mentioned, suddenly collapsing like that is worrisome. Shouldn't they go to the doctor next? Unless there is a hidden reason why he collapsed?

Why are you and Kujaku love to torture your characters? Give them happy endings already! I hope the next time I read about Ethan and John the confession would happen and they at least kiss! Anyway, this "date" was fun, I love the carnival setting. Looking forward to the next challenge's story!

Baking Welsh Corgi GIF by Lazy Corgi
Spoiler
Man! I was so excited for Elias and rooting for him only to see the cake undelivered to Jamie??!! You guys are cruel to your babies, have some mercy! Thank goodness I'm not in the mood for angst otherwise this thread would be filled with sob stories.

But you know what's funny? All three of our April challenge pieces were about confessions! LOL. The drama surrounding your characters is making me nervous. Please go easy on my fragile heart. If you wanna hurt me, take a knife and twist it in my chest instead. That's more merciful!

• Thanks 2

A/N:

Spoiler

It seems that this is the last project for May!
So, yeah, let me tell you, when you give a theme like this, you kinda feel frustrated that you can only use original characters.
On the other hand, this was a good challenge.

And yeah, you can't spell Kabedon without rivalry xD
That's why, I decided to see how it would turn out.

This month's(May's) theme: Kabedon

3 given words: battle, insect, swap

Word count: 1013

Title: Who could have seen this coming?

Spoiler

Since their high-school days, Albus always sees his classmate Noctis as his worst arch-nemesis. He cannot understand what is so special about that guy.

That’s why the long silver-haired man constantly throws various challenges at him: from who would get a higher score in exams to who is better at sport. At some point, even who is worth claiming the title of being the king of arcade.

However, the fluffy ebony-haired student takes these challenges so lightly and as personal entertainment.

‘‘How dares he? Who does he think is he? One day, I’ll wipe that smug smile from his face and crush him like an insect!’’ Or so, Albus keeps telling himself as he observes his rival either from the nearest corner or whenever Noctis is chilling with his friends.

As time passes by, both enter the college. Yet, their never-ending fight continues. Or this is how Albus calls their relationship until they finally settle the score.

Perhaps this is what you call your desire to compete with someone worthy of your time and attention. It can’t be anything else, right? Or so, the long-haired man convinces himself.

Meanwhile, Noctis cannot help but feel amused by Albus’ dedication and passion for him. Besides, it is fun to hang out with his number one fan.

One day, the dark-haired man shows initiative first and challenges his old-time rival. Besides, he is curious about what kind of reaction Albus would have.

Finally, the long-awaited day arrives. It is a warm autumn afternoon in the local shopping mall.

‘Where is that stupid idiot? Did he trick me?’ Albus wonders while he checks the time on his phone.

After he looks around, he notices a familiar figure cheerfully waving at him ‘‘Yo! Have I made you wait?’’.

Yet, the silver-haired man replies while swooshing his hair ‘‘I just got here.’’. When Albus approaches his rival, he keeps his hands in the jeans pocket and thrusts his chest towards him ‘‘You wanted to see me. So, what kind of challenge are you up to?’’.

No matter how much he attempts to look intimidating yet, Noctis sees him as just a small animal trying to act like a big one.

It is still surprising how he endures the temptation to ruffle Albus’ hair and tease him. Although the silver-haired man is older than him, he still looks cute even when he gets angry.

In the end, Noctis casually replies ‘‘Not sure if you heard it, but recently here opened the VR room. I thought we could check it out. Besides, last time you seem to enjoy it. Anyway, how about we should make this more interesting?’’.

As Albus raises his eye-brow, he continues to listen ‘‘What if the loser would have to do as the winner says for an entire day?’’.

‘‘Anything you say?’’ The silver-haired man asks in a curious tone and continues with a proud smirk ‘‘Then, I hope you will still keep your word when I’ll claim my victory.’’.

‘‘If you are also prepared to do so. Because I’m not going easy on you.’’ Noctis backfire and then prompts his self-claimed rival to go.

After reaching the destination place and picking the games, which, according to Albus, would let them compete from the bottom of their hearts. And thus, another battle between two players begins.

So far, Albus seems to win the first round, which was a shooting game. Without any doubt, he proudly boasts about his oh-so-perfect accuracy and quick reaction.

Unfortunately, his arrogance blinded him, and he lost the second round, which was a sword fight.

Even so, there is one more round left. For sure, neither side shows any desire to lose. Lastly, the new match begins.

In the end, the outcome was surprising - it ended with a tie. Even if Albus isn’t happy about the result, he accepts it as just a delay in his victory.

Yet, suddenly, he widens his eyes when he feels how someone pats his shoulder. When Albus notices his old-time rival smiling and congratulating him, he lowers his gaze while murmuring in an embarrassed voice.

‘‘One day I’ll get him… somehow.’’ The long-haired young man thinks to himself.

Some time passes, and it is nearly a time when they should depart. Just as Noctis is about to bid a farewell, Albus holds his hand and walks towards a more desolate place.

At first, the dark-haired man is confused about what is happening. After reaching the park, Noctis just stares at the silver-haired man, who slams his hand against the tree and corners him.

When he takes a better look at his rival, he notices how hard Albus tries to keep a serious face while addressing him in a slightly shy tone ‘‘Listen, it’s not over yet!’’.

Noctis crosses his arms and continues to listen to another dramatic speech ‘‘Consider yourself being lucky! Perhaps this time, our match ended with a tie. However, this accident just delayed the inevitable. Next time we meet, I will defeat you, Noctis!’’.

The dark-haired man closes his eyes and sighs. ‘Let’s see your big talk when we’ll swap the roles~’ Noctis wonders as he stares with amusement.

‘‘Oi, you supposed to take this seriously because you will be under my foot.’’ Albus indignantly adds.

Suddenly, the long-haired man gets alerted when Noctis bends and escapes his rival’s trap. However, he is more surprised about the next move.

After his rival corners him with his arms and delightfully smiles ‘‘Now, now, it doesn’t mean that I would give up so easy, little man.’’.

Just when Albus expects something more to happen, Noctis puts his hand into his pants pocket while the other one ruffles his hair.

Surprisingly, he doesn’t mind such a gesture. Yet, this moment does not last long.

Even when a few minutes pass after his rival bids a farewell, Albus still can feel that sensation in his hair.

‘That stupid Noctis… Perhaps I’ll let it slide through my fingers this time and let him live. But he better be prepared for the rematch…’ Or so, he thinks to himself.

• Like 2

Month: May (2022)
Theme: Kabedon (scene description)
Words: languid, king, scene
Word count: 1450 words
Rating: G
Trigger warning: Slight mention of eating disorder, possible gay stereotype

Title: Try it first

spacer.png

A/N:

Spoiler

In case some people don't know, ESPN is a sports channel.

Also, I purposely made the story ambiguous, but the ending is pretty clear. HMU if you need clarifications :)

Short Story:

Spoiler

David brought someone over. Alan did say that a plus one would be welcomed, but Paris thought that he’d be David’s plus one if everything goes smoothly after tonight. Apparently, there was no need for him to be nervous about approaching the subject with David since he had clearly given Paris an answer in the form of a life-sized Barbie. 

Barbie was quite an apt description for David’s companion. On top of being pretty, she was genuinely nice. Paris had no hard feelings towards her because it wasn’t her fault that David was a stupid prick. He wasn’t in the mood to be overly friendly with her, though. After an amiable introduction and a brief chat, in which he found out that Barbie’s name is Libby, Paris retreated to the kitchen. 

In the kitchen, Alan’s fiancee, Chloe, was taking out a freshly baked quiche from the oven. The smell of food made Paris’ stomach growl. It wasn’t a sit-down kind of dinner party, so everyone could fill their own plates with food from the buffet spread in the dining room and sit wherever they liked. Paris preferred getting them straight from the source.

“Can I have some before I help you take this out?” Paris rubbed his hands together impatiently. 

Chloe looked at Paris as if knowing he was up to something mischievous. “As long as there is enough for everyone else, help yourself.”

“Yay! I’m going to stay in this kitchen and eat everything while everyone outside can pass out drunk.” 

Chloe laughed at Paris’ reaction. No one would stop an underfed looking guy from eating. “At least let me take the tortilla chips and salsa out for them to munch on. Don’t want the guys to think Alan and I are bad hosts,” Chloe said in response.

“Oh yeah. Go ahead and take that out. They’re pretty much self-sustained from alcohol and watching ESPN anyway, so they’ll be fine with just that for a while.”

Chloe agreed with Paris. She was already halfway out of the kitchen when she turned to give him a warning gaze. “Leave the desserts until later, little guy. There are cookies in the jars if you need your sugar fix.”

“No cakes, just cookies. Got it.”

Paris didn’t know how long he was in the kitchen, sampling all the food before the kitchen door opened and David walked in. He looked good in a simple black button up and black slacks. If Paris didn’t think that he’d already received a compliment from Libby, he would’ve told David what he thought of it. 

Also, he didn’t feel like talking to David. So, he stuffed another one of Chloe’s mini cream spinach tarts into his mouth and proceeded to rearrange Chloe’s spice collection. He could sense David came close behind him because he could feel the guy’s body warmth and faintly smell his aftershave. 

“Why are you hiding in here?” David asked as soon as he was in Paris’ space.

Paris replied, but it was garbled from his full mouth.

“Chew and swallow.” David instructed.

Paris shrugged and chewed in a way that could only be described as languid. When he was done, he poured himself a drink and took a big sip.

David decided he was done waiting, so he took the glass and set it down. “Why aren’t you out there with everyone else?”

“Food.” He replied like it was the most obvious answer. 

Paris set his eyes on a skewered king oyster mushroom and planned to eat it next, but David grabbed his hand and pushed him against the kitchen wall beside the dry pantry. His hands braced against the flat surface as he trapped Paris in between. 

“You’re angry.” David concluded. 

“Do I?”

“Yeah.”

“You think so?”

David nodded. “Yes, you’re mad because I came with Libby.”

“Why would I be angry about that? Libby’s nice.”

“Exactly,” David smiled smugly. “Because if she wasn’t, you’d think it’s easier to get rid of her.”

Paris snorted and barked a short laugh. “First of all, if I wanted to get rid of someone, they’d be gone by now,” he braced his palms against David’s hard chest and with a push, the guy was no longer crowding him. “Second of all, there’s no point getting angry over your stupidity. If you can’t see the wrongs of your ways, that’s not my problem. Now, can I have a little peace and quiet with all this food?”

David shook his head in disbelief. He wondered who was the most stubborn between the two of them. They’ve been going around the same issue for years and he can’t wait to put an end to it. Yet, none of them was willing to surrender.

David was gone an hour later, taking Libby home, or so someone informed Paris. He had gone out to the living room to see if they needed more food, but it looked like Chloe made more than enough, so Paris returned to the kitchen and ate some more.

The problem with being a kid who grew up undernourished is that he didn’t have a strong digestive system. All the party food he consumed made their exit the same route they came in as Paris hugged the toilet bowl. 

That was how David found him the second time.

“Seriously, I only left for twenty minutes and you managed to get sick?” He knelt down on the bathroom floor next to Paris, rubbing his back as he threw up most of his dinner. 

It went on for a while and when Paris had nothing left to let out, he cleaned his mouth as thoroughly as he could with the mouthwash on the sink counter before David helped him back into the kitchen. 

“Drink this.” David handed him a bottle of ginger ale. 

Chloe and Alan don’t drink ginger ale. “You went out to buy this?” Paris asked.

“No, I took Libby home, then bought it before I came back here.”

“Sounds troublesome.”

“Yes, because there’s this idiot who can’t stop stress eating.”

Paris ignored him and took a long sip. The disgusting aftertaste of vomit finally disappeared. He suddenly felt hungry again.

“Are we going to ignore the elephant in the room? How long are we – can you stop eating? I only bought one bottle!” David slapped Paris’ hand that was reaching for a cheesy fried rice ball. 

Paris pouted. “There’s no elephant to ignore. It’s all been made clear when you brought Libby here tonight. I’m not going to wait for you forever, David.”

“I’m not asking you to. I’m giving you a way out.” David countered. 

Paris rolled his eyes. “You’re not straight, David. You’re not in the closet either. If you like girls more than guys, then fine, I accept that. But just because you plan to get married and have kids in the future, doesn’t mean you can only achieve that with a girl. It’s 2022, not 1922.” Paris paused, grabbed a slice of kiwi fruit and popped it in his mouth before continuing. “I’m not asking you to marry me either. I can’t even get you to be my boyfriend. I just want you to be realistic. How many girlfriends have you had so far?”

David stared at Paris, silently counting in his head and failed to get the exact number.

“More than either of us could count.” Paris decided to answer for him. “You sleep with guys, but never date them because you already had your dream wedding planned since you’re a kid. Gosh, how gay is that?” Paris said the last sentence to himself. “It doesn’t have to be me. I just want you to be happy. Who knows maybe I’d be the best man at your wedding?”

David sighed and rubbed his face as if that would solve all his problems. “We both know you want to be the other groom at my wedding.”

“Well, yeah, but that’s because I want to see the look on your face when I leave you at the altar.” Paris half joked. 

“Try it if you want to be the main focus of a murder scene.”

Paris grinned and while David was distracted, quickly grabbed a cheesy rice ball and popped it whole into his mouth. 

“You’re gonna throw up again.”

“Mhmm.” Paris hummed. “So, Libby huh?” He deflected after he swallowed.

“It’s a trial date. She’s very nice, but…”

“But?”

“There’s this cute guy I can’t get out of mind.”

Paris looked up at David and smiled cheekily. “This party is getting more interesting. Do tell.”

“Well, he likes to eat, looks tiny but strong enough to push a grown ass man. I’ve got bruises on my chest to prove it…”

~The End~

Edited by 3ruri
  • Like 2

#008 image May | Want a drink? | word count 1371
                    theme image Kabedon
                                words image rose, smirk, daring +murky

Spoiler

Donovan yawned as he waited for the coffee to be ready. The bitter liquid dripped so slowly and Don needed that coffee an hour ago. He glanced outside the break area at the chaos in the office. Everyone was rushing to get things done and double checking everything. The chaos made Donovan feel like a sloth. He didn’t mind, though.

The elevator doors dinged as Don grabbed his coffee cup. There was only half an hour until the work day was over, but Don felt so sleepy. Back in the work area, Donovan saw Jamie with a new client, the reason of the chaos in the office. Well, a subdued chaos now, everyone was still rushing, but in a more careful way.

“Huh.” Donovan mumbled to himself then, together with his coffee, went towards his desk. He sat down and yawned again. There was a silence in the office then cheers. So the meeting was a success. Donovan absent-mindedly asked himself what the big deal was, the new client met with Jamie and Jamie was a charmer, surely no one expected a different outcome.

Speaking of, Don leaned over one side of the chair and looked at Jamie. He measured him from top to bottom. Today he was wearing a chequered three piece. If the colour would have been a bit more vibrant, the suit would have perfectly matched Jamie’s hair and beard.

Back to his work, Donovan focused on solving the remaining tickets of the day. Only three left and technically he could leave once he was done. Everyone left a bit early on Fridays, but Don had other plans.

At exactly past 30, Donovan rose from the desk and went to the break room. He washed his cup and put it back in its place, then headed for the elevator. He waited patiently, then climbed up three floors. The office was much more calm and empty now. Everyone rushed to grab a drink and pat themselves on the back for a job well done. No, Donovan wasn’t ironic in thinking that, it had been a team effort. The fact that Jamie had charisma was a helpful bonus.

Donovan knocked on the door only after he entered the office.

“It’s knock, wait, then enter, not the other way around.”

“But I didn’t wait.” Donovan countered with a smirk and Jamie laughed.

Donovan kept trying to remind himself what a terrible idea it was to casually waltz into Jamie’s office, especially when there were people still at work, but so far he didn’t manage to remember until after he was already on his way. And what was the point to turn around?

“Uh, fancy stuff.” Don said with a nod at the expensive bottle of bourbon on Jamie’s desk. “I think you are legally required to hid that.” He joked.

“Why don’t you pour us two glasses?” Jamie asked and leaned back on his chair. His eyes were focused on Donovan in a way that made Don feel self-conscious.

“Two each?” He asked with a wink and grabbed two glasses. He eyeballed a shot of bourbon in each glass and offered one to Jamie. Donovan sniffed the liquid. It smelled like spices and wood. He tasted it first, it was sweet and easy to drink.

“Damn, I could get drunk on this.”

“Really? How many glasses can you take?” Jamie’s tone was daring.

“You don’t need to get me drunk first.” Donovan said and took another sip out of his glass. Jamie laughed, but didn’t respond.

The next few hours went by drinking bourbon and talking about work. Somewhere at the back of his mind, Donovan wondered what kind of a relationship did he and Jamie really have. They talked about work often, they sometimes let out personal things, though none of them pried, and they had sex. Often and good sex, but never outside the office. In fact, they never even met outside the office, not even by mistake.

So what did that make them? Co-workers with benefits?

Donovan got up to pour himself a glass of water. The alcohol got to him after only three glasses and his vision was becoming a bit murky. He took a big gulp of water and felt Jamie behind him, his hands on his hips and his lips on his neck. He set down the glass then turned around. All of a sudden Don was pissed. No, not because of the alcohol, but because he started thinking about what kind of a relationship this was and he wanted answers. He didn’t trust to stay on his own two feet without swaying, so Don used the wall as an anchor. Jamie slapped his palm on the same wall, next to Donovan’s head, and leaned towards him. Without thinking, Donovan lightly tapped the inside of Jamie’s elbow causing him to lose balance and hit his forehead with a thump. Donovan’s eyes grew big and he gasped.

“Are you hurt?” He asked while grabbing for Jamie.

“What did you do that for?” Jamie asked annoyed while rubbing his head.

“No reason. Didn’t think you’ll hit yourself. Let me see.”

Jamie removed his hand so that Don could take a look. Donovan felt a bit guilty. But just a bit.

“It’s fine. Your forehead matches your hair now.” They both started laughing and Jamie leaned in to kiss Donovan. Donovan’s intention wasn’t to dampen the mood, and now he was not as angry anymore, so as far as he was concerned, the situation turned out to be a win-win.

From the start of the kiss to removing their pants and underwear it only lasted less than a minute. Later Donovan might think about it and get a little angry again, but right now he had far more important things on his mind.

The lube and condoms were safely stored in Jamie’s desk drawer. “The door.” Donovan whispered. It was unlikely for someone to enter the office after work hours, but one could never be too careful. Jamie locked the door then kissed Donovan long and sweet, unlike himself. The lube and condom were forgotten on the desk while Jamie touched Donovan’s buttocks and kneaded with his hands while kissing him. Donovan liked that. They were always in such a rush, it was nice to be given attention.

“You know, this would be better if we’d have a bed.” Don said without thinking when Jamie expertly turned him around, then froze. “I mean… It would just…”

“Shh. Yeah, it would. Let’s meet at a hotel next time.”

“I’m so glad you said next time because I would have badly injured you if you would have stopped now.”

Somehow the sex this time was more pleasant. Don had no doubt they were compatible, but with this weight off his shoulders it felt like they could enjoy it more. Afterwards, when Donovan was already home and taking a shower, he wondered if Jamie thought about the same thing, if he was unsure about what they meant to each other too.

Without actually talking about it, Donovan felt like him and Jamie made progress. He was never too worried about being discovered at work, Jamie wasn’t technically his boss, they were in different departments, but if someone was to find out about them, he would have liked to know how to deal with it, what to tell people.

They didn’t actually make plans for the next time, it always came spontaneously to them, but Don promised himself that no matter what, they will have a bed. Being bent over the desk sounded hot in theory, and it was, but more so for twenty year olds, which neither him and Jamie were.

Worry crept in. Donovan knew Jamie broke up with his fiance a while before they started having sex. He never asked about it, didn’t think he would have to, but now all kinds of things were nagging him. Were things getting serious between them? Was he just rebound for Jamie? And that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Donovan took a deep breath, got himself a glass of water then decided to not think about it anymore. He will find out the answers to every single question he had.

tumblr_lxw37nyBaO1r7y61oo1_100.gifv

Edited by Kujaku
  • Like 2

Okay, and it is time for the feedbacks!~

So, let's see...

:

Spoiler

Oh, and it's a new couple! Nice~

As for the Kabedon scene,

my... poor Paris just want to eat in peace, until he gets intimidated by David.

However, I feel bad for the poor guy having such disorder - -;

Lastly, I enjoyed these two interacting nearly like a cat and dog xD (Or at least this is how I've seen it)

So, I'm looking forward to seeing them in the next entries ^^

:

Spoiler

First of all,

That Kabedon scene was something xD

Yup, all what Jamie wanted to do is acting cool, but that ended up with a little clumsy mistake.

Aside that, I'm glad that both are fine, and it didn't end up with bigger injuries. More so, nice to see Jamie and Don wondering about what kind of relationship they share (Yup, perhaps, seeing each other outside the office is that big step towards a new chapter~)

Anyway, thank you for sharing this story ^^

• Thanks 2

Spoiler

New characters!
For some reason I read this as being set somewhere in the 1700s, I think it might have been the dialogue, but then there's the VR so it's contemporary. It is an interesting combination.
I quite liked Noctis's attitude towards Albus, I would have liked to see more of that. He seemed like a pretty cool guy and I liked that both their personalities seemed to be in contradiction with their names. I definitely got a more competitive personality from Albus than Noctis.

Overall, nice.

Spoiler

This story started so nice, I instantly loved Paris and I was thinking it's going to be sweet and funny. And then things took a turn and I wanted to go and hold Paris tight and take care of him.
You didn't say anything outright, but it seems like Paris had a really tough childhood and it is still affecting him. Poor guy. I liked David too, it seems he needed some time to figure out what he wants, but reached the right conclusion before it was too late and I really, really hope that he can take care of Paris and get him the help he needs. I really hope David will prove to be exactly the right guy for Paris and be there for him. I want so much for things to work out for them.

I really love what you did there and if there's going to be an update, I'd love that too. They are both great.

• Like 2

Here are the feedbacks!

Spoiler

About my story: Since my story is vague, it might seem like Paris is suffering a really serious eating disorder like bulimia. It doesn't get as bad as that, but because he didn't grow up eating nice food and often had to skip some meals, his body couldn't take too much food at one time. That's why everything comes back out. Basically, his bad habit of stuffing his face like a hamster needs a little controlling, that's all! If he takes the right amount, he'd be A-OK ;) 

Lol, I never thought Albus Dumbledore and Noctis Lucis Caelum would have a ship (if it is indeed them). I tried hard to not picture Albus from Harry Potter in this fic because that would be weird. 

Good job with taking advantage of the kabedon theme. I think I used only 2 lines to describe mine but you worked on making it more than just a brief scene. Also, another nice touch for using a tree instead of a wall for the kabedon setting. I didn’t specify whether to use kabe/wall only, so it was a good choice.

Btw, Can you please, please give the 3 words some kind of a highlight? Sometimes I forget what they are as I’m concentrating on reading the story. Thanks and good luck for next challenge <3

Spoiler

About my story: You can never go wrong with cute characters! I didn't intentionally set Paris' background as a difficult one, but as I write, his profile kind of put itself together. Also, I tried not to explicitly mention about David's sexuality because I want readers to figure it out themselves, but he's actually an out bisexual who are more inclined to dating women because of the reasons mentioned. So yeah, if it wasn't for that, Paris might not have to wait that long. He could have just beat some sense into David (literally), but he's a peace loving, food hoarding little kitten :D 

First of all, that was a fun kabedon! I mean, not fun for Jamie, but it was quite funny. Normally kabedon is used as a prelude to something hot (like a seduction process), but you made it humorous. And yet, you didn't even need the kabedon for the hot scene that followed! Give yourself a pat on the back!!

Tbh, I was looking forward to seeing you use “rose” as a flower (coz I like flowers, lol), but this use of “rose” is well incorporated. A+ for you!

Also, their story is surrounded with drama! I feel like watching a Telenovela. But your writing is really structured with how it started slowly (gradually integrating the facts about their current relationship), then the tension builds up (Donovan wondering about their status, the spicy stuff, etc) and then there is the resolution. It’s a compact and complete “episode”, so I think despite the last minute cramping, you did a marvelous job! Congrats!

Let's do our best in the nest challenge!

Happy Dance GIF by Créu Cat

• Thanks 2

Spoiler

1 hour ago, 3ruri said:

Lol, I never thought Albus Dumbledore and Noctis Lucis Caelum would have a ship (if it is indeed them). I tried hard to not picture Albus from Harry Potter in this fic because that would be weird. 

Oh my... xD (What I have done?) Oh dear... I can't stop wheezing and laughing xD

Yet, I swear,  it was unintentional, though.

okay, I calmed down and my head doesn't spin from laughing  so hard

However, believe it or not, I'm not too familiar with Final Fantasy or Harry Potter lore.

Anyway, Thank You so much for such pointing out because now I would be more careful with picking names!