Important Announcement Regarding Images

Key

As most of you have already noticed, recently the forum kept returning a 500 Internal Server Error. This error appears every time the server is overloaded.

I did some checks and discovered that a lot of other forums and sites are stealing pictures (signature images, avatars, emoticons, images uploaded) from our server. For example, I saw users from other forums who copied signatures from YaoiOtaku's members and use them on other forums, stealing our bandwidth resources.

So, please try to upload the pictures you post on the forum on image sharing sites (

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
- the registration is free and uploading is very fast,
- you don't need to register in order to upload,
, or others).

NOTE: After you have uploaded a picture on one of the image sharing sites above, you need to copy the code and paste it on the forum where you want the picture to appear.

Thanks for understanding!

• Like 21

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Key

• hama71

• levi

• Belita

Top Posters In This Topic

Only problem is... I do have to many image that has been post...

So it will take time to move the image...

Do you have any system that make can't copy the image... --;;;

If that keep happen I might have to re-think about the posting the pictures...

It was for the people in this forum not to go out...

That was other reason I didn't used the sit much... --

Any way for let us know about it...

Thank you! ^^

• Like 1

@ hama71

You don't have to reupload the pictures you have already posted. Just from now on, if you can, when you post new pictures, upload them on Tinypic or Photobucket and paste here the code.

The users won't need to leave the site to see the pictures. This will only prevent people from other forums to use our server resources.

Yes, I do have a system that prevents other users to copy our images, but it only works for the pictures uploaded on the site, not for those uploaded as attachments on the forum.

The thing is, only the pictures with the extensions jpg, gif, jpeg can be protected. But vBulletin (the forum platform) automatically converts the images uploaded as attachments into php format. That's why they can't be protected.

It wouldn't be a problem if the pictures would only be used by the YaoiOtaku users, but there are people from other forums that steal them and overload the server and make the forum collapse.

• Like 1

@ hama71

You don't have to reupload the pictures you have already posted. Just from now on, if you can, when you post new pictures, upload them on Tinypic or Photobucket and paste here the code.

The users won't need to leave the site to see the pictures. This will only prevent people from other forums to use our server resources.

Yes, I do have a system that prevents other users to copy our images, but it only works for the pictures uploaded on the site, not for those uploaded as attachments on the forum.

The thing is, only the pictures with the extensions jpg, gif, jpeg can be protected. But vBulletin (the forum platform) automatically converts the images uploaded as attachments into php format. That's why they can't be protected.

It wouldn't be a problem if the pictures would only be used by the YaoiOtaku users, but there are people from other forums that steal them and overload the server and make the forum collapse.

I know that you did work on few of my pictures but I did it any way...

If any thing happen it will be better where I had that... ^^

So that is how it go... --

So it will be save just in site... if the picture in album are save?

Long as I don't do attachments...

I had that problem with other forum I was in before...

That was bigest fight I have to do with people...

Well I was one who to care of pictures part on forum...

And I did most of posting at time too...

But, no metter how hard we try there is alway some-one taking with out asking... --

I don't might people take for themself... but, for posting other site with out asking

and do as if they are the one who did it... feel bad... --

Most of posting I did so far I try to tell people where it is from and I did work on most of it...

I don't want any thing... but, as people just took and do as what they want make me feel like they are stepping on my face with out any guite...

Well, thank you for info... and your hard work...

I will try to post any pictures attachments from my Photobucket... ^^

• Like 2

@ hama71

Yes, I did try to upload on some image sharing servers part of the pics uploaded here. The pics uploaded in albums can be also hosted on Photobucket or other image sharing sites to prevent bandwidth theft.

When uploading an image to your album you have the option to Upload from another website.

Again, don't worry for the old pics.

And I totally agree with you, it's unfair that other people just come and steal images and post them elsewhere without asking for permission.

You could also use a 'signature' on the pics you edit, so that people would see who the author was.

• Like 1

@ hama71

Yes, I did try to upload on some image sharing servers part of the pics uploaded here. The pics uploaded in albums can be also hosted on Photobucket or other image sharing sites to prevent bandwidth theft.

When uploading an image to your album you have the option to Upload from another website.

Again, don't worry for the old pics.

And I totally agree with you, it's unfair that other people just come and steal images and post them elsewhere without asking for permission.

You could also use a 'signature' on the pics you edit, so that people would see who the author was.

Well for the mix pictures I already redo... ^^;;;

Oh... I don't know I can redo the albums... there is to many pictures...

I just have to trust people who come to my album and the community... --;;;

Well for community only member can view that pictures...

About the my albums does every one can see or only the people who are join the forum...

For that I just don't want to do that...

One... I just want to enjoy the picture as it is...

two... if I do that I want to write who artice is also it will get to long... --;;;

three... I just want to truth the people...

Any way thanks you for your hard work and I do know how hard it is...

I been doing some like what you doing here just did only one part of it...

I got to stress out and well in the end I just work out from that... --;;;

So I really appreciate all you done for this forum!!!!

Thanks you! I really mean it!!!

And I just hope you don't get too stress out like I did... --;;;

Take care for yourself!!!

• Like 1

@ hama71

Thanks a lot for changing those pics, I really appreciate it. You don't have to change the ones in the album, as they can only be seen by the members of YaoiOtaku, so it's not a problem.

Thanks for caring! :) I do try to relax now and then, because, yes, it is a very hard and stressful work :)

• Like 2

Thank you so much for all your hard work!! I'm sorry that some people make more work for you. This is a wonderful site and a great community :)

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for changing those pics, I really appreciate it. You don't have to change the ones in the album, as they can only be seen by the members of YaoiOtaku, so it's not a problem.

okay from what i'm understanding in this statement is that the pictures we've uploaded into our personal albums here on YO are safe because I was seriously considering deleting all of them and move them to another image storage site. it's terrible that some people can be so irresponsible and cause problems to this forum.

thank you for the heads up, Key. We appreciate all the amazing hard work you've done for the forum.

• Like 1

I was wondering about that error that kept appearing lol. But it makes sense now. I usually use TinyPic for my picture posting but now I will definitely make sure I keep using it. Thanks for the hard work in trying to make the forum the best it can be! :D

• Like 1

@ yojichan & Amander123

Yes, the personal albums are safe because only registered users can access them, or depending on the album settings, only your friends can see them. The problem is the pics posted in threads, because they are visible to visitors who can copy the image link and post them to other forums, stealing our bandwidth and making the forum collapse.

• Like 3

Thanks for your hard work Key...

It's a shame these kinds of things happen giving you so much trouble...

I'll keep in mind to upload the pics thru Tinypic as suggested... :)

• Like 1

@ levi

Obviously I already did that, but the images attached on the forum appear like attachment.php and attachment id (this is an

. Click on it and look). And I can't prevent those files from being hotlinked.

The attachments are stored in the database.

That's why I could only protect the images hosted on the site yaoiotaku.com, not on the forum.

If you have any idea, I'm listening.

Storing attachments in database is usually a bad idea when you have lots of files.

Store it on the file server.

Not sure if that will change the url to be image extensions, but having it stored on the server is better than database either way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for being such a great admin,Key. Especially when it comes to idiots who edits their own posts/when it's not their work to do so/ >___>' ( a.k.a me );D But,honestly,thank you for the hard work dude.

Thank you for the hard work Key.It really great for an forum to have admin like you,who care for every little thing here ^^

Really,Thank you again.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...