Nephylym

Yukio Takamiya

Dion stared down at their intertwined fingers and felt mysteriously comforted. Basil never failed to make him feel that way. "I understand that not all humans are bad, you've stressed that to me. But aren't they only kind to their own species? I've never heard of Nephylyms being treated kindly before," he debated. "You've never seen them before, only heard stories about them from your mother." Dion sighed and walked on. He would probably never understand why Basil thought so well of humans. Humans would never treat Nephylyms as one of them.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yukio Takamiya

• Raychu

Basil's face dropped emotion when his mother was brought into their small argument. He yanked his hand away, crossing his arms like an upset child. Sure, maybe he only heard of such stories from his mother, maybe he only met one or two humans, never actually revealing himself. Why was it wrong to dream? He had a right to be able to dream that they existed. Dion just didn't want to dream of such a thing. He was too caught up in the mistakes made by the humans. "She has nothing to do with my beliefs. Don't bring her into this," he snapped. That was the first time he had actually gotten upset with Dion. The way he brought the brunette's mother into the mix, he felt like it was an insult to what she had seen with her own eyes. Maybe her stories influenced his belief humans were good, but he took it farther than she gave him. He learned about them of his own free will, no one encouraged him or stopped him. He did it. "I steal. I have to if I want to eat certain foods or obtain a certain herb. In human's eyes, that is bad. If you were a human, you would understand. Should all Nephylym be hated for my actions and choices?"

Dion stared at Basil in shock when he ripped his hand away. Had he made his friend mad? Basil's words made him look away. Dion had to admit that he was in a way, right. He had forgotten that Basil stole to survive and couldn't say that he had never seen humans before. But it was because Nephylyms didn't have basic rights, which made stealing necessary. "Sorry," he apologised. "I shouldn't have mentioned your mother," Basil was right, Dion just didn't want to admit that humans had some good in them. He was taught from young that humans were evil and just a few days ago experienced just how bad they could be. That made him reject all possible scenarios that good humans could exist.

Basil nervously scratched the back of his hand, unsure what to say now. It was tense, a thick, tense moment. He was already feeling bad for getting so upset when his mother was mentioned, knowing that's not how Dion intentionally meant it. They were different. He saw the evil of humans first hand. The brunette on the other hand never did. He saw the goodness in them when he waltzed into their town unknown. Humans were even cruel to their own kind, starving the people on the street. They even starved children if it suited them best. He saw that. Then he saw the kids playing games, having fun. The women show in glove and affection to their lovers and children. Of course he would think they were good, be cause they were. It's not like that were intentionally bad all the time. Sometimes the humans just made bad choices. Basil decided to intertwine their fingers once more when he returned to holding the hand, not liking the lack of warmth against the cool night. "I promise you'll see the good ones," he said softly, flashing a small smile. This is a promise that would be kept, even if it took him eternity.

Dion gave Basil a small smile and continued to walked on, pulling Basil together with him by their connected hands. "Let's just enjoy this walk and stop talking about this for a while," he said, truly desiring just some quiet time with his friend. "We will be leaving soon, so we can think about our different perspectives when we get to it."

--------------------------------

Two days later, Dion's foot had completely recovered without even a scar in sight. When the bandage had been removed, he wriggled his toes getting used to the feeling of cool air on his feet again. He stood up from the bed and did a few hops around the room to test if he was still as active as before. Nothing seemed to have changed.

Dion turned to look at Basil with a grin on his face. "So are we ready to leave?" He asked, excited to leave the forest.

Basil was frantic when he took off the bandage to find it had healed. He wasn't sure he was ready to head out, he was so comfortable being in the woods forever. Now he would leave everything he had behind for awhile, perhaps he would never come back. It scared him, even though it also excited him. He would finally be able to live and experience the new things he never got to see before. He was still leaving home, of course he would be nervous. "I... Just a minute!" He started to pack things they would possibly need such as the salve, clothes, necessities for wounds. He had to be completely sure for it, if either of hem got hurt. Gger he had finished packing the needed essentials in a little satchel he had, he nodded to Dion. "Ready," he said softly, his face showing no excitement. He climbed up the ladder, popping the latch, opening the top. He breathed in her air, calming himself, smiling widely. Finally an adventure, able to see the world and its beauties. Even if the adventure is dangerous, here always lies something pretty around every corner.

Dion could sense Basil's insecurity at having to leave his home for the first time. He worried about how Basil felt about all this, if he even wanted to leave in the first place. After all, he was practically forced to come by Dion himself, he just hoped that Basil didn't hate him for it. Dion watched as Basil packed up the stuff they needed for their journey, preparing to climb the ladder once Basil was done. "I just want to confirm if you're really okay with coming with me," he said hesitantly. "Because you can't place too much hope in me when entering human territory. Apart from the time that i was abducted by them, i too have lived in a forest my whole life. So i don't know much either."

Sent from my SM-J110G using Tapatalk

Basil looked at Dion when he spoke, shrugging a bit. He gave a wide smile to make sure that he and the other felt at ease. "I'm coming with! No doubt about it! I'm fine," he hummed. This was going to be a scary experience at first, in the end he would be completely fine. He wouldn't try to run away now, not when he promised to go with Dion. He'd never break a promise, ever. Plus, this was going to benefit him as well. He was going to look for clues for his mother, see how she turned out in the end when she vanished completely. "I know a bit about it myself already. I've been in their territory, though that was only to steal." He laughed softly, knowing humans weren't the friendliest creatures, especially when it came to money and greed. He was sure there were ones that were better than that, overcame those desires within. "I know a bit about them already, it'll be fine. We just sit get caught." Even though he loved and trusted humans, he still had a part of him that wouldn't risk turning out to be wrong and be betrayed by the things he loved the most.

Overwhelming relieve replaced his insecurity at Basil's reassurance. A wide smile made its way to Dion's face as he moved to climb the ladder. He took one of the bags from Basil and slung it over his shoulder, lifting the latch and exiting the hole.

When they had both gotten out, Dion grabbed Basil's hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. He gave his temporary lodging one last glance and started walking, leading Basil out of the forest.

Basil was happy to feel the squeeze of his hand, his heart pounding widely at how scared he was. He knew that this would be fun for him in some ways, then again, he would be extremely scared in others. Humans were really scary creatures, dealing with the world around them, adapting so quickly. Yet they were so aggressive to other species, unwelcoming to their presence. It was if they felt a single bit threatened, they immediately attack for their own protection. He knew that very well, he couldn't accept it though. He wanted to believe they could welcome their kind with just a bit of adjusting to them instead of always being so hostile towards them. Was that just wishful thinking he pulled? "Will we be alright? Will I be alright? I'm sorry, I'm just a bit... worried is all," he mumbled, gripping tightly onto the hand. A loud sigh escaped his lip, feeling odd about this entire situation.

Dion looked back at Basil and gave him a reassuring smile. "It'll be fine, i promise," he replied, pulling Basil in the direction where he had first came from. He was still slightly afraid that the men who chased him were still looking around. That fat man paid a large sum to buy him, Dion didn't think he would give up so easily. Nephylyms may be seen as slaves and sexual tools, but it costs a fortune to actually own one. Their worth were actually many times more than human slaves. Which was what Dion found ironic. Nephylyms were more expensive than humans in the eyes of humans? He couldn't help but snort at that. Humans were complex creatures, he could never figure them out. "Just a bit more and we're almost out."

"Says the guy who was warning me of him dying. You're too hard to figure out, I should stop trying to understand you way of thinking," he laughed. Basil followed him silently the rest of the way, looking back to the direction of his home now and then. He could still go back if he was really against this, however, a promise is a promise. He would be with Dion from here on out. Nothing was going to stop him from staying. His guilt was going to keep him from going back, he was the type to never break a promise. The unspoken house promise for his mother didn't count. He didn't truly make a promise to stay there, he never made any promises with her, everything she said or did was a mystery. She probably expected him to live on and thrive, nothing else would need to be said. It was the ways of the unspoken world, they understood each other without words. They understood because it was as if they linked through their mind and thoughts. Something he one day hoped to do with Dion. He wanted to be able to understand the other without the words.

Dion smiled and continued to move on through the forest. The trees were reducing quickly by the minutes and soon, bright sunlight bathed over them. By this time, Dion became extremely cautious should any humans be roaming by. "We should be careful from here on out," he said, grasping Basil's hand tightly. They had exited the forest to a vast green scape with paths carefully paved through. Dion led Basil along the paths but not a half hour later, he saw a little cottage.

Dion tensed slightly but continued to move, praying fervently that whoever lived there wouldn't come out. But just then, a considerably small human came from around the back of the cottage. Dion nearly stopped in his tracks having forgotten to breathe. He quickened his pace, pulling Basil along. "Let's go," he whispered. However, as they passed by, the human seemed to have noticed their footsteps.

"Young man," it was a woman's voice. From what Dion knew, female humans tended to be softer than men. Perhaps they could get pass this. The woman came closer slowly until Dion could see the lines that covered her face. A human that has lived long. But what baffled Dion was that the woman had her eyes closed while coming closer. She couldn't see.

Basil was quite confused. He didn't understand why they needs to be so cautious around an old lady and a boy. They were harmless compared to other humans that could do so much more. Though the brunette was not happy to be pushed and pulled around for this, he did not make a peep of a complaint. If anything, he would be compliant to keep out of the hair of the other, even if he didn't really agree with them being so weary of the humans. He could understand few, he could not understand all of them. It was just white silly to him.

"Oh, miss," Basil piped up happily as the woman Egan to walk closer to them. He couldn't help it, he naturally was a friendly nephylym. When spoken to, he'd most surely respond to them as always. Ignoring a repsonse was almost as bad as an insult spoken bluntly to someone's face. He wanted to keep this happy, that meant always being kind and considerate, a trait he could not suddenly get rid of and throw out a river. "Are you well?" Basil wasn't asking if she was well because of her eyes or he rage, but because she seemed sickly. If he could be of assistance to this older lady, he would.

• 3 weeks later...

Dion was extremely tensed, even though he knew that this human was harmless and sightless. His grip on Basil's hand tightened ever so slightly. Humans made him feel this way, fearful and cautious despite age or disability. When he was younger, Dion never thought much about how dangerous humans were even when he was taught to fear them. On the contrary, he had even once thought that they could be fun to be around. But when they plundered his village and abducted his people, abused him and almost raped him, Dion took what he learnt seriously. Despite age or disability, one could still never know what humans thought. Basil said that good humans existed, despite that, Dion could never fully trust them. If he ever met a good human, that tiny ounce of doubt and caution would still remain.

"Ah...the lord has answered my prayers. I was waiting for a few strong men to pass by so that these heavy tools could ve moved out of the way. Heavens knew who dumped them here during the night," the old lady said gesturing to a pile of rusted tools carelessly tossed on the ground. "Tripped over them when I was on me way to the well. Me old bones ain't strong enough to lift them either," she continued while massaging her shoulder. "Lend me a helping hand would ya?"

Dion frowned and let go of Basil's hand. Wordlessly, he moved the tools away and dumped them by the side of the road to be collected when the dumping cart came. The faster he help her, the quicker they could leave.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike Dion, Basil was very happy to help the old woman out. He enjoyed being useful and making things easier for people. Helping her out made him feel accomplished about what he was doing. The brunet also noticed how quickly Dion was moving, trying to keep up. He opened his mouth to say something before shutting it again, worrying that it would only upset Dion. Basil knew he needed to be a little more cautious like the other, he just had a hard time when she seemed so nice and kind. Chewing on the inside of his cheek, his eyes flitted between the older lady and Dion, deciding if he should even speak. He really didn't want to upset his friend if he spoke the old lady once more, heir to want to leave her hanging either. Going between two kinds was harder than he imagined it'd be.

Reaching to grab Dion's hand, Basil squeezed it reassuringly with a small smile before looking back at the older lady. Her have to settle with compromising for now. "Sorry for their trouble. This should make it easier now. Well we must be on our way. Good day to you miss," he said softly, pushing his hair behind his ear. Now he didn't know what to do or say. Leaving her without trying to help anymore than he already did felt a bit wrong. She seemed like she could use another helping hand and Basil wanted to be that hand. He didn't want to keep Dion closer to humans than he needed to be, knowing full well there was no trust for them. He couldn't just be selfish and decide everything for them. He knew he needed to consider Dion's feelings just as much. Which he would start doing more often.