Nephylym

Yukio Takamiya

Basil almost pulled away when Dion suddenly hugged him, it was new to be touched by someone other than his mother. He hugged the boy back, hoping it was helping him calm himself. He pulled back his arms when the boy pulled away. "It's fine, I quite liked the hug. I hope it gave you the assurance you needed," he said in a sort of cheery tone, cracking a bit with with a sadder voice. Basil forced a smile one trying to reassure the boy. It felt so new to be the one trying to calm someone down than being the one who was having to calm down. It was fortieth and he was sure he was doing a terrible job. He didn't know any soothing statements, he couldn't sing a lullaby, he felt so clueless and lost when it came to it. How do you deal with something you have nver had to do in your life? It's hard but somehow he was managing. Having another Nephylym in his life was astonishing enough, he had never even interacted with another of his kind outside of his mother before. He was so lost to the world, trying to catch up on all the years he missed.

Basil pursed his lips when Dion had thanked him and laid back down. He knew the boy was not okay, you're never just okay after something like that. He was crying when he woke up, you don't just get over it in a matter of seconds because of a hug. Basil knew this, he had enough common sense for that. "Move over, I'm coming to sleep with you," his voice neutral. He'd rather be on the bed with the boy, able to hold him, allowing him to feel more at ease than be watching from the ground. When he had night terrors warmth was the best way to keep him calm for the night, he was sure it could help Dion as well. The brunette leaned down grabbing a pillow from his mess of blankets, waiting for the boy to scoot over. He couldn't sleep by the wall, he'd feel to enclosed at his sides, causing him a panic attack. But he could however be on the outside holding the boy near. This was the only way he knew to help someone who was in this kind of mode, it was his only choice.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yukio Takamiya

• Raychu

Dion opened his eyes when instructed to move. Did Basil somehow figure out that he wasn't feeling okay? For some reason, Basil always seemed to know how he felt despite only meeting him a few hours ago. Dion didn't know a thing about Basil and Basil definitely didn't know a thing about him. Yet he was kind enough to treat his wound and gave him a place to stay. The boy was too gentle and kind that somehow, Dion didn't know if it was okay for him to take the boy out with him. He would probably get tricked by a human like a child tempted by candy.

Dion moved closer to the wall, creating a space on the small bed for Basil to lay down. He slipped his arms around the boy's body and sighed, comforted considerably by his warmth. With the boy by his side, Dion didn't feel too afraid now. He closed his eyes,"thank you," and fell into a dreamless sleep.

Basil laid down once the boy head moved towards the way, feeling Dion's arms instantly wrap around him. It felt kind of nice to have the warmth of someone in his bed once more though the circumstances were odd indeed. He played with the boy's hair as he fell asleep. It was a silky feeling like his mother's hair once was. He wrapped his arms around the boy, pulling him closer, being weary of not injury his foot any further. Basil felt exhaustion washing over him as he closed his eyes , the hectic day catching up to him. He didn't dream, he never did. Once his nightmares stopped so did any dream at all. He'd rather not dream at all for the rest of his life than have one more night terror that he couldn't even remember. Feeling Dion's warmth he smiled, it really did make him relax more than he had ever done. He rarely slept if he even did at all. He never felt tired enough to make himself sleep, having the boy there he felt like he could catch up on the sleepless nights he had often.

Dion woke up that morning feeling refreshed. He always woke up whenever his body started to change which was at dawn. Currently, his hair had started to grow once more. His body and legs grew slim and his chest swelled. After the transformation, Dion realised that his throat was parched. Climbing over Basil who had also changed, Dion left the bed and limped towards the table where a jug of water and mugs stood. Dion poured himself a cup and gulped down the water before sighing in satisfaction.

Basil sat up, rubbing his eyes. He woke up from losing his warmth, but he wasn't going to complain, it was dawn already. He should be up and harvesting herbs by now. "Good morning," he said through a yawn. He noticed he changed and frowned. He didn't like his female form much, it was annoying to have. He stood up stretching his arms towards the ceiling. "Did you sleep any better last night when I decided to join you? Sorry it was cramped though, my bed isn't big enough for two people but somehow we managed." He chuckled at that, picking a blanket off the floor and wrapping it around himself. It seemed to be a chilly morning with how cold the room was when he got up. He didn't mind cold weather but he wasn't looking forward to digging through dirt if the ground was cold enough to numb his fingers. He looked at Dion noticing he still had a bit of redness his eyes, he frowned at the memory of the previous night.

"Good morning," Dion greeted back. "Yes. I did sleep a lot better when you joined me. Thank you for that,"he said with a smile, grateful that Basil was there to comfort him when he needed it. It was indeed cramped as the other said, but somehow, Dion didn't mind. He enjoyed Basil's presence when he slept, so despite the limited space, Dion wasn't complaining. "That's because you were too skinny,"he replied good naturedly with a chuckle.

When he saw Basil pulling the covers over himself, Dion realised that the morning was indeed cold. He hadn't actually registered that he was cold but now he did. He limped back to the bed and used the bed covers to cover himself before giving Basil a large grin.

Basil laughed, sitting down in a chair, keeping the blanket secure around him. "Skinny? Don't be silly, I'm get from skinny, I'm muscular," he laughed, his tone teasing. He glanced up at the patch deciding whether he should leave to find herbs or if he should stay with his new guest. He needed plenty of herbs if he was going to actually leave with the boy, he wasn't sure if he'd gone do on his word in fear of the outside world. "I think I'll head out when the sun is overhead to go collect herbs, water, and maybe check to see if the strawberries are ripe yet. Are you hungry?" Basil grabbed an apple out of the wooden bowl on the table tossing it to the boy. "It's not much but I don't have much to offer at the moment." He didn't want to say her steal again knowing Dion didn't exactly approve of his actions, but the brunette had to eat somehow. He needed to eat to live so he had to steal to eat. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, unsure of what to say next.

Dion caught the apple and took a large bite out of it,"its fine, this is enough,"he said with his mouth full. "Besides, I don't really eat in the morning,"he added. Dion never ate breakfast in the morning even at his own village. He found that he would get a tummy ache whenever he ate in the morning, thus he only ate two meals a day. "But how long will you be out?' Dion knew that with his foot like that, he wouldn't be able to follow Basil out. But he didn't want to stay in the hole for too long without anything to do or anyone to talk to. He had never liked being alone for too long, that would make him feel insecure for some reason.

Basil shrugged, his times varied. "Not sure, I'm usually done when I think I have a fair amount of water and herbs. Getting water is a bit tricky so it takes awhile, the herbs are easy to find." He didn't want to leave the boy alone too long but with having another guest he needed to stock up as much as he could. He probably would head to the nearest village to pick up some food, that would be about two hours from and back. Gathering water was harder because he needed clean water, that would take about two to three hours. He spent most of his day just doing what he needed to survive. But could be really leave the boy alone that long? He would have to put the calendula salve on periodically throughout the day, knowing the numbness would wear off. He couldn't bring him with since he had an injured foot. Basil was in a bind with what to do with Dion. He could bring him out if he needed to but he'd have to carry him around, then he wouldn't be able to go to town. He sighed, snuggling into the blanket more. "Or I guess I could just stay here all day and not go out. I think we have enough supplies to last us three to four more days."

Dion could feel his heart sinking when Basil listed the things he needed to do. Dion had done them before and knew how ling Basil would need to do all those by himself. But he couldn't help the smile that appeared on his face when Basil decided to stay. He sank further under the covers, covering his smile so that Basil wouldn't see. "Yeah, I would like it if you stayed,"it was a little selfish of him to want Basil to stay especially when he needed to collect supplies but Dion really disliked being alone. Feeling an itch under the heat of the bandages, Dion brought his foot out of the covers and stared at it. "Is it time to change the bandages?"he asked. "Its feeling a little hot and itchy down there."

Basil gave a soft smile when the other spoke selfishly of wanting the brunette to stay. He didn't mind staying if the boy wanted him to stay that bad, he'd feel bad about leaving him alone anyway. When Dion pulled out his foot, Basil instantly stood up, dropping the blanket. "Yeah! We do need to change the bandage, and add some more of that calendula salve my mother," he cut himself off realizing he just brought up his mother. He furrowed his eyebrows, angry at himself for running his mouth. "I'll be back with the supplies." He walked into the spare room, retrieving the tin of calendula salve and another cloth, returning back to the main room. He sat on the bed, lifting up the boy's foot, undoing the cloth. He dropped the used cloth on the floor, adding laundry to his list of what he needed to do. He got a glob of the ointment on his fingers, rubbing it against the wound. It shouldn't have hurt as much as the previous night. The wound seemed like it was starting to crust slightly, trying to heal itself. He rubbed off the rest on his pants, making a sour face. He wrapped the cloth worsen the foot, tying it tight to make sure it was secure. "Is the itching starting to subside?"

Dion noticed the stumble in Basil's words but decided not to push further if it was a touchy subject for the other. But while waiting for the Nephylym to return, he couldn't help but wonder who Basil's mother was and where was she. When Basil returned, Dion watched him wrap his foot, wondering if Basil could have had a past as bad as his own.

"No, it doesn't itch that much anymore. Thank you,"he replied with a smile. All Dion thought about was himself and the village that he had lost. He had thought that he suffered badly, but could Basil be hurting in the inside too? If that was so, it wasn't fair that he was the only one being comforted by Basil. "Basil, if anything is bothering you, you can tell me okay?" He said, placing a hand in the Nephylym's shoulder and giving him a warm smile.

Basil flinched when Dion put his hand on his shoulder. He wouldn't have cared about any contact bought his thoughts were racing with his mother. He forced a smile, looking over at the boy. "Ah, thanks for the offer, how kind of you," he spoke in a bitter tone. He really hated bringing up the women who suddenly left him, the women who betrayed him. He resented her but he loved her, he always had mixed emotions about her. She was spacy and aloof, but she was also quick witted and prepared for anything. He couldn't see her getting caught but he could see her running off with some man out of love. But then why would she leave her only child behind? Did she plan on having new ones? He wanted to know what happened so bad but he would rather not know. He didn't want to be crushed by the truth.

"I think I'm going to take a nap, you can if you want. If it starts feeling irritated once more then please let me know," his voice calmer. Perhaps a good nap will help clear his mind of the bad things his mother did. Basil got on the floor and bundled himself up in the blankets, closing his eyes. He'd rather not sleep on the bed once more with the boy, reminding him more of his mother. He just needed some good rest. He closed his eyes, sleep washing over him.

Dion frowned at the bitterness in Basil's reply to his offer but didn't blame him. Rather, he felt guilty foe even saying what he did which may have reminded Basil of unpleasant memories. He nodded in response to Basil's next words and watched as the Nephylym fell asleep. Sighing, Dion too laid down on the bed and stared at the ceiling. Was his family and fellow villagers doing well? He wondered then shook his head. Of course they wouldn't be doing well! They were in the hands of the humans, nothing could go well for them there! Dion had to hurry and recover to find them before everything was too late. Seeing as he had nothing to do, Dion closed his eyes and went to sleep.

(Sorry for the late response! I forgot to send the message whoops!)

Basil opened his eyes sitting up. The room was a bit warmer then before but not by much. He looked over to see Dion sleeping causing him to smile. He looked so cute when sleeping, like a child. He hoped the other wasn't going it have any nightmares again, not really knowing how to deal with them. He stood up, dropping the blankets to the floor, walking over to the table and grabbed an apple. Hit bit into it. Letting the juice flow into his mouth. He loved the tastes of apples, his favorites were the red ones. He sat in the chair trying to be quiet as possible. He didn't want to wake the sleeping boy. He chewed and chewed thinking about his childish actions prior to his nap. He regretted being so rude to Dion, he'd just apologize when the boy got up, hoping he'd understand.

(Its fine!^^ I 'm very patient :D )

Dion slept peacefully this time with the knowledge that Basil was also in the room. He woke up to see the Nephylym chewing on an apple nonchalantly. "Oh? You're awake?"he asked while rubbing his eyes. He found it a little awkward all of a sudden seeing as Basil wasn't in a good mood before he slept. Dion definitely hoped that he was feeling better now, somehow seeing the Nephylym upset didn't make him feel any better. Feeling a little bored, Dion looked around the place then back at Basil. "Do you have anything I can read? I don't really feel comfortable sitting around with nothing to do," he asked. Dion adored reading, he read all day even back in his own village. Having not read in a while in the human's territory, Dion was craving a book now.

(Still, I feel bad about not replying. Whoops.)

Basil looked over at the boy upon hearing him speak. "Ah, yep! Just woke up a little bit ago," he smiled. He was a lot calmer than before when he acted childish. He set his apple down, standing up. "Yeah I have some, I don't if you'll like them but you're welcome to read them." He headed into the spare room, grabbing an array of books from the shelf. They were covered in dust, not having been used since his mother vanished. He didn't have any sentimental attachment to the books so he didn't mind just giving them away. His mother never liked them much either. He headed back into the spare room, setting the books down by the boy's waist. "You can even have them if you want, I don't want them." He sat back in his chair, finishing his apple.

"Really?" Dion asked enthusiastically, a smile breaking out across his face. "I'll take them then,"he said and made a grab for the books. Dion opened a book and started to read. If there was one thing that he would praise humans about, it would be their creativity. Their books never ceases to amaze him. The various interesting storylines and kinds of characters created. Mythical beasts and the occult, he never would have imagined that all these were created by the human mind. And Dion wondered what kind of things inspired humans to write what they wrote, if possible he would love to see it for himself. Leaning against the wall for a more comfortable position, Dion propped the book on his knees and emersed himself in the words.

Basil almost laughed at how excited Dion was, but he held it in. He grabbed the apple core, tossing it into the wooden trash can. He didn't really know what to do next so he decided to go out and see the time of day. "I'll be back in a bit," he mumbled, daring to not interrupt the reading boy. He made way to his ladder, climbing up. He unlocked the latch, pushing it open. He climbed out as he close the entrance to his home. He sat, staring at the trees around him. It seemed to be late in the day as the sh was already passing overhead. He didn't know if he actually wanted to leave for a so called adventure, but it was too late to go back on his words. Maybe in the back of his mind he didn't want to leave thi kick his mother would return, but it was just a wish. If he ever wanted to find her, he would have to look for himself. He was curious to know but he didn't want to know. He knew he'd get emotional and he didn't want that, he was stronger than a simple truth. He could just keep waiting or he could find out himself, he'd rather just keep waiting for nothing to come.

Amidst his reading, Dion did hear Basil announcing that he was going out. But his mind hadn't registered it and thus, he remained unaware that Basil had gone out. When he had finished with tales of gods, demons and war, he looked up to see the room empty. Limping into another room to find Basil but to no avail, Dion became aware that he was alone in the hole. His heart sped up. Where did Basil go? Feeling insecure, Dion limped back to the bed and picked up another book hopefully to distract himself. But a few pages into the book, Dion closed it and got up. He couldn't stand the solitude any longer, he hated being alone and the insecurity was killing him.

Limping over to the ladder, Dion used only the strength of his arms and his good foot to climb. He pulled his body up and placed his good foot on the first rung and repeating the process for the others. Upon reaching the top, Dion push open the panel and left the hole to look for his companion.

Basil jumped when the entrance opened, the boy should not be up and moving. He looked over at the boy, frowning, unhappy he decided to go against what Basil had said. "Didn't I tell you not to move? Why are you moving?" he asked, slightly irritated. He didn't want the boy in anymore pain. Was it his fault he left? He hoped it wasn't, he had made sure to say he would be back in a bit. He just wanted to breathe some fresh air before returning to the cooped up hole. He wasn't used to spending so much time in it at once, he usually left for the entire day and came back to sleep. That was his schedule, but now he was being cooped up inside, unsure what to do. He didn't have anything to entertain himself with, he was bored out of his mind.

Basil laid on his back, letting the rough twigs and branches stab into his back, but he didn't care. He sighed out loud, unsure what to do. Did he need to take Dion back down and keep and eye on him? Probably. He needed to make sure he wasn't moving, putting weight on the foot, or doing anything harmful to it. But he didn't want to return just yet. He wanted to enjoy basking in the sun for a bit. It felt nice to be in the sun for a bit. He didn't want to leave until dark but he'd force himself to leave sooner or later.

"Just give me a minute, then I'll take you back down. I want to just lie here, collecting the heat," he sounded like he was a lizard trying to warm himself up. But he was cold from being in his home all day, here was no heat source for him besides blankets. This was why he'd rather stay out all day than be cooped up.

Dion was surprised that Basil was right outside the hole but relieved nonetheless. He had assumed that the Nephylym had gone far enough that he would have to search for a while. Looking down at the ground, Dion apologised,"sorry, I thought that you left so I came looking for you." Knowing that Basil hadn't left made him less insecure. He felt considerably more positive and moved to lay down beside Basil. Lying on his stomach, Dion propped his elbow on the ground and rested his head in his palm. Ignoring the pokes of the twigs and leaves, he proceeded to stare smilingly at Basil while waiting.

Basil looked over at the boy, raising a brow. "Is that so? It's not like I left on purpose, I thought you heard me say I was going up for a bit. Just don't do this again, I won't leave. I promise," he spoke softly. He looked over at Dion, smiling back at him. He felt at ease with the boy around, it surprised him. He thought he would feel more uneasy with a stranger in his house. "Oh! The bandage! Is your foot starting to feel irritated again?" He was concerned that he had been neglecting his duties tit and care of the boy for sleep and play. He'd feel horrible if the boy's foot he been bothering him this entire time. He pouted like a child at himself for being so spacey on the most important things. He quickly say up, feeling a twig or two scratch his hand as he kept himself propped up.

"Sorry, it seems that i was too focused on the book that i didn-t hear," he apologised again. But the book was truly interesting and Dion's attention had been fully captured by it.Dion shifted his gaze to his injured foot before waving Basil's question off. "It feels fine. I'd much rather stay up here,"he said and shifted to laying on his back. Placing an arm over his face, Dion shielded the sun from his eyes and closed them after a while. It actually felt rather nice to be laying out in the open with nothing to fear. But Dion hoped that his foot would recover fast enough so that they could leave sooner. He didn't want to be around when those men came looking for him nor did he want Basil's safe home to be discovered. After all, they did pay a huge sum of money to get him, Dion was certain that they wouldn't let him go so easily.

Basil sighed in relief that Dion's foot was in fact, okay. He laid back down on his back, staring at the clouds. He laughed a couple of times, looking the shapes of them. One looked like a squirrel, another a bird, and one a fish. His mom used to cloud watch with him all the time. They'd laugh over the smallest things, he smiled remembering the old days. But then it hit him that he was so... lonely. He was tired of living in solitude, never having someone to share his thoughts with. He knew his mother wasn't coming back, but he tried to believe she was. But because of the fact he waited for her, he was bound to the house. Kept away from other's of his kind. He felt to controlled by a woman who was gone, he felt like he couldn't break the chains of the memories they shared. He hated his mother for leaving him to make his own life decisions, knowing he'd be lost without her guidance. But he loved her for all the good she did for him.

"What's it like living in a village?" he questioned. He thought about taking the offer to come live in a village with the boy, but he wasn't sure whether he could leave to go with others. He still felt uneasy by the thought of having to leave. He felt weird thinking about living in a more cramped place. But Basil would be able to give helpful tips about avoiding the humans. He did it all his life, no problem. He was never found. Though people rarely ever came through, he had a few hunters here and there in his territory, but he stayed hidden. No one ever noticed the panel on the ground, it seemed invisible, blending into its surroundings. But leaving was a different story, a breaking of his attachment.