He Came from the Ocean (Coffee-Tastic and Yukio Takamiya)

Coffee-Tastic

Mar smiled," yes, I wouldn't have liked it if you had opened the door. Thank you." He walked past Nett and threw his clothes into the laundry basket before moving to the pantry. "You should go have your bath now. I'll have dinner ready by the time you're done." He opened the refrigerator and took out frozen salmon from the freezer section. Placing it into the microwave to defrost, Mar waited. He still felt slightly disorientated at the same time curious if those images he had were memories of his past. If so, why were they coming back now? Just when he had met Nett and was happy. He didn't want anything to disrupt it.

Besides, even if his memories did come back, it wouldn't make a difference, he realised. His biological family would probably be with him at sea. If he had drifted to the island alone, they would most probably be dead. Mar couldn't think of any other scenarios where his family could have survived. Sigh, what was the point of thinking of all this. He didn't need anyone else. His family now is Nett, he only needed Nett.

'Ping' the salmon was done defrosting. Mar took it out and placed it on the counter. Pouring oil on the pan, he heated it up on the stove before adding the salmon. When it was done, Mar placed the plate on the table and waited for Nett.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coffee-Tastic

• Yukio Takamiya

Nett was hesitant in taking a shower without getting answer if Mar was okay or not, but looking at Cabin, he felt like the fish would tell him just to go and do as he was told if he wasn't too busy sucking on the glass. He pictured Cabin to be quite the sassy character... In the bath, he washed himself with the soap like he was taught. When he was alone the first time, he also tried tasting the soap because it smelled nice. It was a bad idea to taste the soap, he learned.

Walking out of the shower with his old clothes on his shoulder and the towel in his hair like Mar, he followed the steps in putting those clothes in the basket too. Because not everything he repeated was bad, believe it or not. Nett sat at the table while rubbing the towel in his hair, "When are you going to be starting work," he asked, taking a fork and touching the salmon, "I want to know so I can start preparing myself for solitude once again." Cabin didn't count as company...

Also, as soon as he caught on to a schedule of Mar's work, he was sure to start wandering around outside on his own to find a job as well. He needed to help Mar be able to pay for an island after all.

Hearing Nett's words left Mar feeling guilty. If he had a choice, he would stay at home with Nett as much as he wanted. Resting his elbows on the table and his head in his palms, Mar replied. "Not sure...I'm going job hunting tomorrow. It depends on when they ask me to start." But it also depends if he could get a job. Jobs were hard to find without having studied before and common jobs like a waiter couldn't last. Mar grabbed the newspaper and flipped through it searching for hiring adverts.

After a while of reading, a particular advertisement caught his eye. Multi-level Marketing. A grin started to form on Mar's lips. With this, he could work from home, he just needed to get a computer. Even if the computer wasn't cheap, the job paid daily and money comes in depending on how many products he sold. "Hey Nett!" He called out excitedly. "If I take this job I can actually stay at home daily."

Maybe he couldn't do that after all... But that was okay because he could enjoy being spoiled with Mar's company like this, "Daily?" He picked up a big piece of the fish and put it in his mouth, talking with it in his cheek, "Then... I want you to have that job. I don't want to miss you. I want you here with me at all times..." He gave himself a moment before chewing, the salmon tasting near to nothing on his tastebuds.

He's never thirsted to have someone with him so much. Being alone for such a long time and then being with Mar day and night, it's become hard to think of how he would be able to handle himself without having him close by. "Sorry. That is a strange thing to desire isn't it? It's possible that I've come to like Mar too much. If there is a such thing as too much in this situation, that is." Nett wasn't at all ashamed to be this way, he was only apologizing because it might not have been something he should have said outloud.

"Of course, I intend to take this job. Just give me a moment." Picking up the paper, Mar went to the telephone and dialed the number printed.

"Yes, this is Tisha speaking." A voice on the other end answered.

"Hi, my name is Mar. I came across your advertisement on the paper and is interested." Mar spoke.

"Ah yes, the paper didn't really give you any specific details about this job. There is actually more to it. To start selling the products, you have to actually buy one of them first. That is how you set up an account with the company." Tisha stated cheerfully.

"There isn't any need for an interview?"" Mar asked baffled that a a job didn't need an interview.

"Nope. Just buy a product to start selling. If any of your customers decide to join the company, part of their earnings would also go to you. Meaning that even if you stop selling for a while, you still get paid." This job sounded very beneficial, almost too good to be true.

"Then where can I purchase the product? I would like to order one." Mar asked.

"You can order it from me now. Our company specializes in producing suppliments. It is a well established company. Any orders that comes your way, just direct it to the company's website together with the client's address and your job is done. Remember, the more you sell, the more you earn. Good luck!" Mar hung up the phone after giving the lady his address.

He turned to look at Nett, smiling,"well, we're done with that. I just need to get myself a computer with internet access tomorrow."

Nett has long since stopped from always asking what is that? all the time. If he always asked what things were, he'd never stop asking questions, so when Mar mentioned something called a computer and something called internet, he just nodded. Anyways, he was aware that through observation, he would get the answers he wanted. "I would also want a job. Not now... for the reasons that you stated before... but in time, I'd want one to help make a lot of money for the two of us. As much as I enjoy seeing human life here, I don't want to overstay our living here." There was nothing else more that he wanted than to have that cabin back for themselves. Nett didn't care if it was upgraded or not. He just wanted that island to themselves again.

"... Are there other ways of making money besides having a job?" Nett mumbled, picking up the whole salmon with his fork and bit into it until it was gone, then taking a nearby cup of water to drink. If he remembered correctly, didn't Mar say that you get money from trading off one thing as an exchange? He wasn't the one sure about how things worked on land. Trading was a lot more fair than how things worked in the ocean. There had to be a few things that a newbie to society can handle and make money from.

Mar stood up and walked to the mattress and laid down staring at the ceiling. "You don't have to work Nett. I enjoy taking care of you so let me continue to do so alright?" Nett going out to work was something that Mar didn't want the most. Humans were dangerous and he didn-t want to think of whatever which might happen. He may seem a little selfish not wanting to show Nett to anyone else. Of course they had taken walks but that was because Mar was with him. The thought of Nett talking to anyone else left a bitter taste on his tongue.

"Earning money without a job? You mean starting a business. That's going to be a lot harder." Mar said. "And I know that Nett is too lazy, you wouldn't like it." He tried joking, perhaps to make himself feel better, smiling didn't come as easily this time.

Nett looked over at Mar, getting up from the table to follow him to the bed just like a pet dog, "I agree with you, but Nett wants to help Mar too." Also like being a magnet, the merman got into bed and was immediately holding onto the black haired boy, pressing himself close onto his chest and laying his head down in his shoulder, "What if I enjoy taking care of you just as much as you taking care of me?" The answer of that was probably a no even if Nett wanted to say yes. He only had good intentions of easing up some things for Mar and making him happy. "I think that..." he mumbled and pressed his lips onto Mar's cheek in a half-done kiss, but a first kiss nevertheless, "Someone needs to take care of Mar too."

On his own he would never have known what a kiss was. Only while being in the city did he notice how two people close to one another did something like this and after that happened, they smiled afterwards. Nett was hoping to make Mar smile, thats all.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling Nett's lips on his cheek, Mar tensed and felt his face heat up almost immediately. Turning his body to face Nett's, he buried his face into the man's raven locks and took in his oceanic scent. "I haven't been taken care of in a very long time. Getting used to it would be hard." Letting out a sigh, Mar was having an internal struggle with himself. He had found Nett...but Nett had his own life. Even if he didn't want to let Nett out of the house, the merman's choices were his own to make. If Nett wanted to go, he would have to oblige.

"Sigh...fine. I won't stop you if you want to earn some income. Just.....be very careful alright?" Mar reluctantly consented. "Not all humans are as nice as me," again he joked, but his smile couldn't find its way to his face.

Nett was glad Mar came around, sighing with relief, otherwise his face didn't change. The merman patted the boys head to give him some reassurance, "I'll be careful, Mar. Don't worry." He knew he was worried for him. Nett's rightful place was the ocean, not the land, and it was still new. The fruit would be worth it though, he knew that too. It was worth having to deal with other humans besides Mar and having to get a job too... Would a small job even be that hard? How could it? Except no matter what task he'd be given, he'd be bound to show that he wasn't exactly keen on being a human yet. He still had to figure out how to balance himself quickly in case if he tripped. And if Mar was going to be working from home, that meant that Mar wouldn't be around to pick him up.

Being with outs Mar, it was a chance to start observing things on his own. Fair enough considering he's only been on the streets with him... Nett memorized all routes that they've walked or taken a bus by, so he wasn't worried about being lost. All he had to do was not get too distracted by the things around him. If anything, he could just ask someone where Mar's apartment was.

Mar smiled when Nett reassured him that he would be careful. However, it seems that Nett had started to change him little by little. Despite being so young, he started to nag. "I may have allowed you to go out but there are conditions. No dangerous jobs, I don't want you getting hurt. Medical supplies are very expensive you know. If anyone gives you trouble, tell me and I'll beat him up for you." Mar said the last part with a grin. "Lastly, if anything troubles you, tell me okay? I'll be available whenever you need me."

Mat wrapped his arms tightly around Nett and closed his eyes. "That being said, let's go to sleep. Tough days are ahead."

Dangerous jobs? There were dangerous jobs that human had to do in order to get money? That's sad... On the other had, he did expect Mar to say something about dealing with troublesome people. It was nice to know that Mar would hurt his own species for him, but he felt like he could do it on his own. He was able to fight off moody sharks easily from time to time. A human didn't compare to a shark at all. Except that they eat a lot, but that wouldn't help them. If anything was troubling him besides other humans, he did feel like it would be okay to say so. Why would he need to hide any of that? Nett trusted Mar with his life and his health, why wouldn't he do the same for anything else?

"Yes, Mar," he stroked his hair and closed his pale eyes, "I hope your dreams are pleasant tonight." He opened his eyes again to look at the fish in the tank, "I wish the same for you as well, Cabin..." Because fish do in fact sleep. Cabin was in one spot on the glass for some time, so it was probably already asleep. Oh well. It was a polite gesture.

"I don't think Cabin would understand you. If he was awake that is." Mar said with a laugh. He snuggled closer to Nett as if they weren't already close enough and focused on Nett's fingers which were combing through his hair. After moments, he was out like a light.

--------------------

Dawn broke and sunlight shone through the uncovered window. Mar opened his eyes and squinted at the clock which hung upon the wall. Lifting an arm, he shielded his eyes from the sun and moved slightly, slowly removing his arm which had been used as Nett's pillow. Careful not to wake his companion, Mar gently placed the pillow under Nett's head and went to refresh himself for the day.

After preparing a sumptuous breakfast of fish. Mar left the house and headed for the mall to get a computer.

A few minutes after Mar left, Nett turned in his sleep and tried to squeeze his sleeping partner. His arms squeezed nothing. Nett patted the bed all around before his eyes opened to see for sure if he was gone. Yes he was gone. Nett wasn't worried about it because he never thought for a second that he'd be abandoned, so the merman got up out of bed and saw how breakfast was made for, he assumed him. Fish.

He was hungry, but he didn't feel like having fish anymore, instead going off to the bathroom to wash himself up. He must have gone to get the computer like he said. I guess Mar wants to work already. Staring at himself in the mirror, he thought longer and harder. I don't want to work yet, but if he's going to be starting, then I do too. Finally, he nodded at himself and put on new clothes as fast as he could because he didn't know how long Mar had been gone for. He didn't want to trouble the human, so he'd get a job all on his own. It was supposed to be easy. All Mar had to do was call a number and he got what he wanted. Now, Nett couldn't read so he couldn't look at the newspaper, but he figured he go to different places until he got one. "Grant me luck, Cabin." Nett left the house, leaving the breakfast there uneaten.

His first stop was the small corner store right on the same block as the apartment, he came in and looked around. They had been here before for small things, but he was here for a different reason now. "Excuse me," he stood at the register and stared at the person behind it, "I'd like a job here." Luckily for him, this place was actually hiring.

"..." the person stared back. It was interesting to him that this was the first human who didn't look troubled by his lifeless, doll-like stare, "How old are you."

"About 35 I think. Possibly 32. I lost count." Nett said, making the man raise his eyebrow at the odd response.

"Let me see your ID. There's no way you're that old," he said, seeing the person in front of him being no older than 19 or 20.

The merman's eyes looked at something else for a long time before meeting eyes with the man behind the counter, "I don't have one" What's an Eye Dee? sounds strange.

"You don't have an ID. Okay then..." the guy sighed, "Where do you come from? You from overseas or something?" Nett nodded. "Okay. You got on that then. Get yourself an ID... Can you work a register?"

"Probably not."

"Can you clean?"

"Mar does the cleaning. I try not to make messes though."

The man sighed heavily and rubbed his head, "Okay. Sorry, pal. You're not what we're looking for."

"... Okay." his eyes remained on the man for what felt like a minute, but after that, he left. Onto the next one, I suppose.

Getting a cheap and good computer wasn't that hard after all the bargaining he did. Satisfied, Mar decided to buy some lunch to heat up at home and share with Nett. The laptop was small, light and easy to bring around. Perhaps he could get one for Nett too and let him play around with it but at a later date. Opening the door, Mar called out to Nett to announce his return but received no reply. He didn't hear footsteps coming out of the room nor felt any presence in the house. Nett wasn't home.

Mar placed his purchases on the table, disappointed. He had wanted to spend a bit more time with Nett before the man started looking for a job. But it seems that Nett was eager to earn money to try and get the island back. But Mar couldn't help feeling uneasy, afterall, it was Nett's first tine out on his own. Placing the food in the fridge, Mar opened the door once more and left the house.

"So. Can I work here?" He asked a worker in yet another store. This was his fifth one and it was at a fast food restaurant. The other places either said they weren't hiring or they said that they weren't looking for someone 'like him'. What was that supposed to mean? Nett could do any sort of work as long as he was taught what to do.

The lady to was with him looked uneasy. Nett just took it as his weird staring issue, but it wasn't just the fact he was staring at her. His pupils were wide like a preying animal and he literally wasn't blinking anymore. The woman cleared her throat and gave him a smile, "I don't know. You really should have made a resume and you don't even have an ID to prove your identity... Sorry, Nett. I wish you luck somewhere else."

Nett hummed, finally blinking after forever with his eyes returning to normal and his stomach grumbling, "I see. Okay." It seemed like he couldn't get any kind of job without an ID, not from what he was getting from this experience. He got put his hands into his pockets and left the restaurant, people there looking at him to try and see how he was able to give the lady at the counter such a petrified look.

Exiting, he felt hopeless. If he couldn't get a job, he couldn't make money for Mar... looking at the ground as he walked. Walking down the wrong street from his distraction, he soon heard someone clicking their tongue and calling out 'Hey!' Nett looked at the source and stopped walking. It was a car driving by the curb, a man inside calling him over. And he did just that. "I saw you wandering around here, mate. You looking for work?"

"Yes..." he said with not that much motivation in his voice... But... this man called him over asking about his efforts? "Why do you want to know. Do you have something I can do?" Nett got a nod from the grinning man, "I don't have a resume or an ID either. Is that okay as well?"

"Its better that you didn't have them," he chuckled, "I can give you fifty bucks on the spot if you come with me. How about it?"

Nett gave the man his stare of I am currently processing that at the moment but then he shook his head, "Mar will get worried if I was away from home too long. Is there any way I can get money for now? Where is your store so I can go to it tomorrow?"

The stranger in the car didn't want to stick around in the daylight for this king of thing, so he quickly got something to scribble on and he folded it, giving it to Nett, "That's my address. Come tomorrow for fifty. I'll give you five for a kiss."

A kiss? What a strange thing to request of... But he was going to get five dollars. That would be the highest amount of money he's ever made. There was no way he'd pass up five dollars. Nett came closer and leaned down to the car window, kissing the weird man on the cheek. Nett still wasn't able to give a real kiss, but the guy in the car took his head and made him kiss his mouth instead. He hasn't seen or heard of kissing like this and he was genuinely afraid of what he was doing... Though while getting a mouthful of tongue, something slipped into his hands too.

When it was over, he laughed at Nett's face, "You'll be great for the job. You keep that, kid." It wasn't a five dollar bill. It was a ten dollar bill. Nett couldn't tell the difference at the moment, but just believing that it was five bucks made him forget about his face being half eaten. "See you tomorrow."

Nett put the money and the address in his pocket and looked at the car go off.

I finally got a job... Mar... Mar will be so happy... After the whole day being filled with failure, he was pretty excited for this. And of course that excitement didn't show on his face. He did, though, keep his head up and realize he was on the wrong street. He turned around and headed back to the apartment.

Not long after leaving the house, Mar was already on busy streets looking for Nett. He asked around but nobody had seen him. But a sudden thought occurred to him. Nett was looking for a job, why didn't he think of asking store owners instead of shoppers. Letting out a groan of frustration, he entered the nearest store.

"You mean the creepy guy that stares unblinkingly at people?," the lady asked with a shudder. "He left and turned right." Although displeased that Nett had been called creepy, Mar didn't forget to thank the woman and left the store. A while later, he spotted Nett's familiar silhoulette walking towards him. Smiling, Mar ran forward to greet him.

"Nett!" He called reaching the man. But he noticed something wrong. "Nett, did something happen? Why are your lips swollen?" He asked, placing a hand on the merman's cheek and stroking his thumb across his lips.

Nett was really glad to see Mar so quickly, but then he said something about his lips and he didnt understand. Touching his lips after feeling Mar's thumb, he remembered why, "I didn't notice. Its rather numb from kissing a guy who kissed weird." He didn't think anything of it at all, going into his pocket and showing the ten dollar bill he got, "Its okay because got a job now. And I got paid for doing it see? Five dollars. If I keep doing it, I'll make money quickly... then all will be good." He closed his eyes and leaned to the touch like he always would.

"All the places I went to refused me. I don't have an Eye-Dee, which was a problem to them. The human told me he had a job for me and that I didn't need one..." he opened his eyes again, being content and wanting to spread it to his worried human partner, "I was worried that I would fail you. But I'm already making money... Aren't you happy?"

Listening to Nett's words horrified him. His eyes grew wider at every word the merman spoke. Just what had he gotten himself into? This was why Mar was so reluctant to let him go. Mar swallowed his saliva with great difficulty and turned away from Nett, shielding his eyes with his hair. "Let's go home,"he said and walked off.

Mar kept quiet the entire journey back to the apartment. When they finally reached home and entered the bedroom, something within Mar snapped. He pushed Nett down roughly on the mattress and pressed his lips against the merman's. Doing this for the first time was a little weird even for Mar but he wasn't feeling very good to care. He plunged his tongue into Nett's mouth, kissing him like as if he was trying to clean away the previous kiss given to the older man. When he finally stopped, Mar pressed his forehead against Nett's and said breathlessly. "No one aside from me can do this to you understand? You can't take that dangerous job. They will do things far worse than just kissing."

That's right. He was possessive but so what? Mar would do anything to keep Nett safe.

He could tell that Mar was unhappy about something. It could have been because he didn't wait for him to come back home, because he didn't make a lot of money today or... or was he possibly jealous that he was making money right of the bat and Mar wasn't? Mar was like a kid, but he wasn't that childish. Getting home, he realized it must have been something other than those things, because he was mad, not sad. And he pushed him down too, which was the first time that's happened, and before he was able to ask why he was upset, the human kissed him. In the same way the man had from the car. He closed his eyes again from the surprise, but having his mouth free again from another person's tongue, his eyes were wide.

Nett panted quieter than Mar and didn't say anything. His eyes lowered and he frowned at the black haired boy's reasoning. "I don't know what you mean..." he gave his lips a brief lick since they were assaulted twice in the last hour. Why did the both of them put their tongues in his mouth? The only kisses he saw were on the cheek, which looked like a cute, kind gesture. Nett didn't even know what job he had in the first place. All he knew that it would give him money. Isn't that what mattered the most? And what things would they do? Those things? "Mar... Was he going to cut me up for science? Thats bad. But you just did the same thing that man did. And I know that you are not a bad human."

"Its hard to explain Nett. Just don't take that job, I won't be happy if you do." Mar said getting up from the mattress. "I bought lunch. It'll be ready once I heat it up," changing the subject swiftly, Mar was about to leave the room but stopped by the doorway. "Remember what I said, don't let anyone else do that to you okay?"

As the food was heating up, Mar suddenly thought back to the kiss. His face reddened and he covered it with his hand. He never knew that he had it in himself to do something so atrocious to Nett. Did the merman hate him now? Or was he still in the room trying to grasp the situation? Mar turned to look at Cabin and the fish stared right back with eyes glazed over.

"Even you think I'm stupid, right Cabin? Getting angry over something like that. Nett was just trying to help but I just can't relax." Great, perhaps he was going crazy now. Talking to a fish that didn't understand human language. Sure, Nett talked to him too but he was a merman, it wasn't weird for Nett. The microwave stopped and Mar took out the food. He placed it on the table and waited for Nett, staring at his hands to avoid looking at the merman.

Nett's eyes didn't follow Mar for once. He touched his mouth and rubbed the backside of his wrist over his lips with confusion. He didn't get any answers from him at all... Was the man going to do slicey things with him or not? He was so happy to get a job, but he guessed he really did fail Mar at the end of the day. What was he going to do now? Nett's growling stomach took his mind away from the disappointing thoughts in his mind. He hadn't eaten anything all day and it was starting to mess with his head. He should always listen to Mar, and if he didn't want him doing this job, then it was better than having it and making money while displeasing the boy.

He could smell the food Mar was talking about, but it took him a minute to pull himself out of bed, being sluggish from walking all over the place on a barren stomach. Nett came out and took his chair, looking down as well. Mar must still be upset at him. He took a silent, deep breath and started to pick up his food to eat it up. His stomach had just been growling at him and now it was silent. It didn't want any of this, but he started eating anyway, glancing up to Mar and chewing, "... You got... your computer?" He was quiet, under the assumption he was mad. Its just that for once the silence was something he didn't want.

Nett seemed just as miserable as him, Mar realised. Guess it was because of the silent treatment Mat was giving him, but he couldn't bring himself to say anything nor did he know what to say. "Yeah," he replied and silence fell over the entire room again. As he ate, he gave Nett occasional glances. Somehow, something about Nett's usual emotionless expression gave off emotion. He seemed almost adorable looking like that. Mar almost smiled but held it in.

Finally he couldn't take the silence. Nett and him had never had uncomfortable moments like this. Mar got up from his seat and walked towards Nett. He slowly bent down and gave the older man a gentle hug. "I'm sorry. I'm not mad really." He couldn't get mad at Nett. Nett didn't know what human emotions made them do and he didn't know what kind of job the man was offering him. It wasn't Nett's fault, so he shouldn't get angry.

The simple reply was so short of what he was hoping he'd hear Mar say. Nett was bound to a lot of silence since he wasn't used to talking all the time, but this was different from the kind of silence two people had who were comfortable with each other. He just ate more food after the boy's response, chewing slow from his lost of appetite. When Mar suddenly stood and came over to him, he forced himself to swallow it all, making his throat hurt, but it subsided quickly as soon as he had Mar's arms around him. Hearing his apology lifted his spirits more than he could imagine.

"I promise not to go work for the man in the car. I didn't mean to upset you," his arms tracing to Mar's back too, Nett closed his eyes, "I won't let anyone kiss me either. Not even on the cheek." He vowed he wouldn't let himself kiss anyone in any way either. He really, really didn't want to make Mar upset, even if it was the kind of anger that showed or not. He'd be good to his human. Squeezing him, he sighed and put his hands in his hair again. He never could resist that.

Mar smiled at Nett's words and nodded. "Yeah, not even on the cheek." When he felt Nett's fingers starting to thread through his hair again, he sat down on the older man's lap and rubbed his nose on Nett's neck.

"I don't think it'll be possible for you to get a proper job Nett," Mar suddenly said. He didn't expect having an ID to be required when looking for jobs. And Nett wasn't born around here. He didn't have a birth certificate to have an ID made. "Its also not possible for you to have an ID made without exposing your identity. Which is what ID stands for, an identification card." But perhaps Nett could do the same job as him. "Do you want to work at home too with me? I could help you get the job, the employers are always looking for people."