He Came from the Ocean (Coffee-Tastic and Yukio Takamiya)

Coffee-Tastic

"I sincerely am sorry." Being sat down, he wiped his head and hunched slightly to keep his stomach from getting more upset, "I did not want to show my displeasure... Ill correct myself. I want to stick to fish for everything. Not for just a while." with fish, he knew it would always taste great for him. He could go into great detail on how he enjoyed how easy it was to swallow down fish, how he liked chewing down on its guts to bring out the flavor and the crunch of its hard cartilage... But Mar probably didnt want to hear that, just as he didn't like to see that. He supposed that if Mar was gone during the day, that meant he was allowed to eat however he liked.

He looked up at the sky before his eyes lowered back to his human companian, "Is there any way I can get water? I realized that I haven't been in contact since last night. Id like some. To make me feel better." Certainly, some of water would do his body good. Nett hasn't gotten a nice dosage of water in some time... "Please?" he asked, pushing for it more after thinking about it more. He didnt necessarily need water as much as he had before, but it was a heavy desire still in the merman.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coffee-Tastic

• Yukio Takamiya

Mar was horrified. How could he have forgotten that water was the most important thing in Nett's life. Of course he didn't really need it anymore to swim in, but he could still get thirsty. "Stay here and don't, I repeat, don't go anywhere. I'll be back soon." After giving Nett a firm, one could say order, to not go anywhere, Mar ran off to the nearest convenient store. He wasn't really familiar with the area. It took a while of asking around to finally get there. Once in the store, Mar decided that Nett probably wouldn't like soft drinks and opted for a bottle of mineral water.

In his rush to hurry and get back to Nett, Mar bumped into someone and both of them fell. Rubbing his head, Mar apologised. "I'm so sorry, are you alright?" He got up and offered the latter a hand but it was slapped away.

"Watch where you're going in future," crimson orbs just like his own glared at him and the older man stood up. Mar stared at his reddened hand in shock. How could someone be so rude, weren't city folks supposed to be more civilised? He felt that it was a little unfair. He had apologised and offered his help, perhaps this man was a rich snob that looked down on ordinary people. Going back to the current situation, the latter's glared had turned into a look of curiousity. "Have I seen you somewhere before?" The man was gripping his chin and staring at Mar intensely. "You seem to look like-" he suddenly stopped and his eyes widened.

"Young master! School is over but you still have to meet the boss. He requires your help, please take pity on this old man and stop running around." An elderly man dressed sophisticatedly in a suit was walking briskly towards them, wiping sweat with his hankerchief.

"Well, I certainly do not know you," Mar replied quickly and ran off. The other boy tried to call for him but was stopped by the old man. "That was one weird guy," Mar muttered under his breath and returned to the bench.

"Here...drink up," passing the bottle to Nett, he slumped down on the bench and sighed.

Nett got the point when Mar told him not to go anywhere easily. Where would he go with this feeling in him? Nowhere. Sitting there patiently, he stared at people walking by without any shame, making many people uncomfortable, especially a couple that walked by with a smaller dog than the last one. The look in his eyes staring at it were enough to make it try walking behind its owners to avoid him. And when they walked off, he continued to state at people more normally. He saw big humans, small humans, kids, babies in strollers... Just sitting there was enough to satisfy his curiosity itch. If anything, he felt curious at what a dog tasted like. The one he saw was small and fat. Small and fat meant that it had bones small enough to crunch on while devouring the actual meat. He was very disappointed to hear that those things dont get eaten around here.

In his own staring, he got a strange vibe off of someone who walked slowly past him. Nett looked up at their face and saw how they stared at him too. The strangers eyes were yellow with splashes of green near his pupil. He's never seen anything like it before and it was definitely odd. The man gave him a small wave before walking away. "Odd." he muttered, and alsmost as soon as the stranger was gone, Mar came back and sat down next to him, looking tired.

"Water. Thank you." he took the water and looked at the cap, "...Interesting." he glanced at the side, where someone also happened to be opening a bottle of their own. Nett did as he saw, turning open the bottle on his first try, relaxing in relief. He dropped the cap on the floor and let his head fall back as he tilted the water bottle over himself.

The cold water felt great, getting it over his head, his face and sucessfully wetting his shirt and pants. Nett even sighed happily. People walking by took their turn to stare at him now, some giggling and some purely dumbfounded by his actions.

"Mommy, why is he doing that?" a little girl asked her mom, who was pulling her away fast.

"I dont know sweety. Dont talk to people like that for me, okay?" she laughed hesitantly as she sped off.

Mar, like the other passer-bys also stared at Nett dumbfounded. He had expected the merman to drink the water, not pouring it over himself. "Uhh Nett, you're not supposed to do that. The water was for you to drink." All of a sudden, Mar found the situation rather hilarious and started chuckling incurring more glances. "If you want to feel the water on your skin, I could have taken you home to have a bath," he said ruffling his own raven hair. "Come on, you can't walk around with your clothes soaking wet. Besides, its almost time to go home, you can swim all you want then."

Picking up their purchases, Mar once again grabbed Nett's hand and walked back to the bus station. Approximately an hour later, they were back at the island. "You hungry? There's still fish left." Mar asked going towards the freezer. "Or do you prefer to go for a swim?" Reminded of Nett's display back at the city, Mar asked this question.

Nett held back from tearing up a store because it was too organized. He held back from attacking a poodle out of self defense. He held back from barfing up a crepe... But with water, he was blind to how wrong it was doing that in public. Even he felt a tad but embarrassed for everyone looking at him at the same. It was fine if he stared at other people, it was okay if they stared back, but too many have him chills. That came from being in hiding for so long and suddenly having people look at him directly. Nett didnt want to, but after that, he didnt know if water would be worth the unsettling feeling he got then.

Back at the cabin, he took off the slippers and pulled off the shirt, tossing the damp article on his self proclaimed stool. "I felt better after being hydrated from before. Id rather eat and stay in bed for the entire rest of the evening..." he dropped himself on the bed and stretched out his body completely with his cheek on the pillow and his pool eyes looking at Mar, "With you here too if thats possible. I like your warmth... Oh. And I was touching your hair last night. Quite soft." He closed his eyes smelling Mar's scent still in the pillow, "Id like to touch more."

Upon hearing Nett's words, Mar dropped the fish that he was holding back into the freezer. Nett had been touching his hair? Why hadn't he felt it despite being a light sleeper? He felt the beginnings of another blush and took quiet breaths to still his pounding heart. He didn't know why he was so affected by this, it was just touching his hair, no harm done. Shrugging his shoulders, his blush went down and he picked up the fish again. A good thing that his back was facing Nett.

"Wait here...I'll have dinner ready soon." He went out of the cabin to cook the fish. A while later, he re-entered with two plates full of fishes. Personally he didn't eat much but on the other hand, Nett was quite a big eater, part of the second plate was for him. After dinner, as per Nett's request, Mar climbed into bed and covered them both with the blanket. "Here, touch my hair all you want," he said snuggling up with the older man and loving the feel of Nett's fingers combing through his locks.

As usual, he enjoyed eating his meal of fish, loving it far more than what they got at the street vender. Nett was full and satisfied, running his hands in and across his friend's soft hair. It was relaxing for him to do so and, well, he could tell that Mar was surprised by what he said when he dropped the fish and paused. He couldn't tell properly, but he might have seen that his ears turned red, just like when he blushed before. For is, even Nett knew it wasn't quite normal to want to touch his hair. If he asked any merman he came into contact with before to touch their hair, they'd be weirded out and say no. Mar came up to him perfectly fine and let him do it.

Nett kept his eyes closed, the blankets warmth and the human's heat lulling him in a calm bliss. Mar might have let him do this, tail or not, but there was some thing about looking similar to a human that made him connect a bit easier. Thinking of the fact he had legs and feet now, he put his leg over Mar's, locking them together in a way as he came closer. Nett sure as hell hasn't done anything like this before, but in actuality, his species would curl their tails together as a sign of fondness and togetherness. To him, not knowing that, it was just something that he did without thinking. It was warm being close ting slightly drunk from warmth, he rubbed his leg on Mar's and curled his toes, "Comfy..."

Cuddling with Nett was pleasant, he admitted. But Mar wasn't used to this kind of closeness with anyone. Nett placing his leg over Mar's made him a little nervous. After all, it wasn't everyday that you would see two males sleeping in the same bed, friend or not. But Nett didn't know that, based on this fact, Mar took advantage of the opportunity to feel loved. With Nett's fingers still combing through his hair, Mar felt at bliss. Closing his eyes, Mar buried his head into the crook of Nett's neck and let out a sigh of content.

"This feels nice. We should do this more often,"he murmured. He slung an arm across Nett's body so that he was practically hugging the older male. Truly, having someone as a companion wasn't bad. He was really glad to have met Nett and hope that whatever this was would last as long as possible. Nett's warmth and strokes of his hair was lulling him to sleep, and sleep he did.

All he wanted to do was do this more often. Nett was the one who didn't want Mar to leave at all in the first place, but he'd have to be the one in bed alone all day. He could have easily said mentioned that he'd be the one on the bad end in two weeks, but instead, like usual, he kept his lips shut about it and just kept on stroking Mar's hair. The hug was new to him as well. It brought nice warmth to him, so he couldn't complain about that at all.

Nett didn't sleep until after hours passed by, continuously running though hair while trying to imagine how things would be if A: He met Mar earlier. And B: if he never met him at all or was too late. If they met earlier, they would have been happier for a longer period of time. Nett might not have been so lifeless in his emotions and he would have been comfortable communicating himself more by now. If they hadn't met, of course, that was obvious. He'd end up dead eventually or be in a place he didn't want to be. Who was to say that if fate didn't put him on that beach, it would have brought him to the more populated one? If he washed up on shore of that one, he would have been screwed big time. So in a way... Mar was his weird, human savior.

He couldn't stay up forever. The merman closed his eyes after such long and hard thinking, falling right asleep. Asleep as hard as a brick. He kept Mar close to him, eventually ended up on top of him again in this position and comfortably remained asleep on his soft, squishy human. He thought, as long as he was with him, he didn't think he'd be terrified about living in the city for a while. As long as Mar was with him as much as he possibly could... As long as he was his center of attention... He'd be happy. Yes. His wishes were just a tiny bit greedy. But how could he not want this?

Mar woke up that morning smiling. He squinted his eyes and turned his head when the sun's rays from the window shone into his eyes. Nett was once again on top of him he realised, just like the night before last night. He felt incredibly lazy to get up especially when Nett was with him. All he wanted to do was lie in bed the whole day with Nett. Raising an arm, Mar placed his palm on Nett's back and rubbed. He glanced at the clock on the wall...it was eight. They probably had another hour to laze in bed.

Mar raised his other hand and placed it on Nett's head. Looks like he wasn't the only one with soft hair. Nett's hair felt like silk to his fingers. Nett's neck was just beside his head. Really convenient for him to turn his head and breathe in his scent which was mostly of the ocean. And Mar loved the ocean. Threading his fingers through Nett's, he called softly. "Nett, its time to wake up."

Being awake for far longer than he should have been that night, Nett woke up while still being asleep. The touches in his hair were relaxing enough to keep him in his sleep-like state, opening his eyes and murmuring things in his language that were unidentifiable. The things that came out of his lips sounded sweet and loving, but when he translated himself back into something Mar would understand, he said, "Jellyfish aren't the best things to try to eat no matter what. They hurt when you touch the stingers by accident and the flavor isn't worth it anyways... Believe me."

Throughout the week, Nett adapted more to living on land and living with Mar. He learned how to use the cooker outside, he didn't need help walking, though sure did have his moments, he felt like his vocabulary got better thanks to practice and Mar's help. Most importantly, he'd been slowly getting used to eating different foods. When going back into the city for more things, or just to explore with his friend, he tried different meats and found that he liked other things besides fish. He liked hot dogs the most, but without ketchup or mustard...

Honestly, he tried to steal a dog once, but when he thought the coast was clear, Mar paying for something a few feet away, the dog owner smacked his head with a purse and ran away. Despite learning how to behave better, he couldn't quite grasp some things out of instinct. He still wasn't human and on top of that, he was a predator whether or not anyone thought so. Nett believed that he'd eventually stop and be normal completely, but that wasn't going to happen. Nothing could change that, nor how weird Nett remained for being... himself.

Last night was their last day in the cabin. They were required to leave and even Nett came to understand that. Mar didn't look happy about it. Which was to be expected... but the merman wanted him to feel better, so he stayed close to him at all times, hugging him and giving him a look of it'll be fine whenever things got too quiet. Now, coming into the building that would be their home, Nett followed Mar, never holding back from looking up every wall and every corner to see his surroundings, "... This is very different. Did you choose this yourself?" He asked, this not being the first time to come here, but this was the first time asking questions about it, "How long are we staying for?"

The remaining time that passed by on the island seemed awfully short to Mar. Living with Nett made him happy and even though they were still living together after this, Mar was reluctant to leave. The island was full of memories despite them being mostly of solitude. Nett who had noticed his distress had tried to comfort him multiple times but after a while his worries would come back.

"Yeah...I chose this place myself. It was the one with the most decent rent." Mar replied monotonously. He didn't really feel happy at the moment despite having Nett with him. He placed his bag on the table and beckoned Nett to come and sit beside him. Lying on Nett's lap, Mar let out a tired sigh feeling fatigued all of a sudden. "Touch my hair," he said simply and closed his eyes.

There was never any protests against a request such as as this. Nett knew it could help comfort Mar in his time of his own form of adaptation. Mar was filled with a lot more visible emotions than himself. It was hard to know what to do besides be there for him and do things like this, but until he figured that out better, he'd settle for what he was currently using as a makeshift solution.

The merman played his his hair, rubbing it, gently going down into his scalp and running his fingers in smoothly like lace. He kept looking down at him, the frown and the dullness of his eyes showing his sympathy as he was doing this. "I've seen nicer places than this when we explored around." well his bluntness was still there. "I'll get a job too if its easy. If we get enough money, we can buy a house that looks exactly like the cabin. It'll even smell like the cabin too." He didn't know much of what he was saying, though he did want this. It wouldn't be the same, he got that much... its the thought that counts.

Mar sighed again, his eyes still closed,"it won't be easy for me and it definitely won't be easy for you Nett. Especially since you aren't exactly used to human society." He laughed at Nett's next words. "I appreciate your thoughtfulness Nett. But it won't be the same without the ocean. The smell could also never be the same without the sea. The air in the city has been so badly polluted by technology." Mar opened his eyes and smiled at Nett feeling slightly better. "Maybe I'll buy the island when I get rich,"he joked. Knowing fully well that it was impossible without having any form of education.

"Sigh...time to unpack. How I hate working!" Mar grumbled and sat up from Nett's lap. He picked up his and Nett's bag and started to arrange their clothes into the closet. He would have to look for a job the next day. Having already paid the current month's rent and the next month in advance, they money they had could last them another two months. After packing, Mar walked towards the pantry and opened the fridge which had been slowly stocked up every time they came to the city.

"Nett, you hungry? I've got hotdogs here." He asked knowing fully well that hotdogs was one of Nett's favourites other than fish.

If getting a job meant that they could even buy the island back.. That would be great. Even with Nett truly meaning what he said, it was bound to happen... His body would probably shut down after working to his limit and he'd do as he always did: find someplace to put his head and sleep, even if that meant the floor. He couldn't get over that yet either, since in the ocean, thats what happened when he was exhausted. If there was a way to make money fast and easy, he'd do that, but from how Mar explained what jobs were, it was never that easy.

"Yes, I'd like some..." He stayed sitting there, watching Mar calmly, "I'm still disappointed that hot dogs are not made out of dogs, you know." Nett mentioned, hoping that it would cheer him up. His lack of understanding mixing with learning new things made this happen. Confusion on his part that was quite funny. When he heard someone on the street hollering and promoting his amazing hot dogs, Nett was the one to drag Mar over and get him to buy one for him. The first thing he said was I thought you said dogs weren't eaten here. And look. Hot dogs. The disappointment on his face was as clear as day, but his sadness changed when he tasted the actual hot dog.

Mar chuckled at Nett's words. "Do you want to eat dogs that badly? Even going so far as to try and steal one." He placed the hotdogs in the microwave being lazy to fry them himself. He bent down and watched the hotdogs turned repeatedly in the microwave until the machine let out a 'ping'. Opening the door of the microwave, the delicious aroma of the hotdogs wafted out and around the room.

"Here," he placed the plate of hotdogs that had been split down the middles, in front of Nett. Poking a fork into a hotdog, Mar bit a bit of the hotdog's skin then proceeded to peel the rest off with his teeth. This was he favourite way of eating hotdogs although he didn't know why. "Actually, there really isn't any point in eating a dog. Once its cooked, you can't really tell the difference apart from other meat anymore." Mar explained. It was true, the same thing occured for rabbits and cows. Once the meat has been flavoured, they all taste the same apart from texture.

"Cooking things change the flavor. If that's what cooking things does, then, I wouldn't waste my time doing the cooking." Nett did the same thing as Mar as far as sticking a fork in it, but he ate it normally, not wanting to play with his food when he was hungry, "Who says I'd want to cook the dog before eating it either..." He mumbled, "It's more than that too. You wouldn't understand." Chewing, the merman muttered something even quieter under his breath, but even if Mar could hear him, it wasn't in his language. He never did quite appreciate being able to say sassy things and not be caught saying it. It was useful for him. He was bound to come across people that he couldn't contain bad comments about... If he said them, he might get on people's bad sides.

Nett licked his lips, finishing a dog and taking another one. "Some are cute, you're right. Maybe if I behave, you will get me one to care for and protect." He peered up at Mar like a guilty kid and looked to the side, feeling like his eyes showed too much mischievousness to be taken seriously. "When we passed by a pet store... There were fish inside. What if we got one? It can remind us of being by the ocean. We can name it Cabin too. Bad name, but I have no other ideas other than that." And he wasn't used to naming things on his own. Cabin was a lot more creative than calling it Fish, which was his first thought.

"That's not a bad idea," Mar said thoughtfully. Fishes could be kept as pets too. "And if you get lonely, you can talk to them too," he joked, not entirely sure if merfolk and fishes spoke the same language. And perhaps keeping fishes would bring back memories of the ocean, he wouldn't feel so down then.

"I'll take you to the store later then. You can pick the fish that you like. Hurry and finish your food and we can go, I won't have much free time after today."

Meanwhile, somewhere in the city in a distinguished tall building...

"I swear its him! He may have matured but he is still recognisable," guy A exclaimed and banged the large oak desk. "The problem is that I can't find him. I've had people combing through the city just for the tiniest news of him. Its like as if he doesn't live around here." Guy A paused and looked at Guy B before continuing quietly," father, I know that you have lost all hope of finding Leo after so many years. But I know what I saw, I am not mistaken. This, I can assure you. I will find him." Guy A walks out of the office after speaking. Guy B lets out a depressed sigh.

"Which one do you want Nett? There are many kinds of fishes here," Mar asked Nett later in the pet store.

In the store he controlled himself and walked past the puppy pen and went to the fish tanks with Mar like they were supposed to. A lot of fish he saw in the tanks he didn't recognize, only used to seeing the ones in the area. Blue, red, orange, rainbow... "So many..." He looked carefully into each tank to see which one would be the one. They were only getting a fish, but he was meticulous into seeing which one was THE perfect one. No, he couldn't speak fish or understand them. A human can't understand a monkey, could he? He paid attention to see which ones weren't sick or weak at all. He wanted one that would last a while.

Looking into one of them, he saw a fish he has never seen before and it spooked him at first. It sucked on the glass and he could see its mouth perfectly clear like this. It was brown and it was kind of ugly. "This one doesn't stand out. I bet it thinks nobody would pick it out... We should take it. It's also not prettier than what my scales used to be like, so that makes me feel better about myself. And it's brown just like the cabin. It's perfect." Nett didn't mention this, but it also didn't look like it would taste good, so he wouldn't try eating it at any time, unlike the ones that shined and had pretty colors.

"Mar, do Humans take the fish from their home?" Asked curiously. "That's quite sad, isn't it? Fish are dumb and don't miss their family, but... Never mind. I just want this one." He pointed at the fish sucking the glass.

Mar bent down and stared at the fish that was sucking on the glass. He expression turned into a grin,"kind of adorable isn't he? Its eyes are so shining." Mar said hitting at the glass and the fish moved to suck on another area. "We'll get this one then,"Mar beckoned to the store owner and pointed to the fish.

"Ah...I never imagine that there would be people who would want to buy this little fella. Most of them go for the better looking ones. I guess you guys are pretty special huh, such unique taste." The owner said while scooping up the fish which was trying to escape the net. Mar paid for the fish together with a small tank, air pump and fish food. On their way home, the fish couldn't seem to stop staring at Nett. Mar lifted the bag and turned it so that the fish was facing him. It stared at him for a while before turning to look at Nett again.

"I guess it could sense that you're not exactly human huh." He said still staring at the fish, a little peeved that he was ignored.

"That's because fish can read my mind and he's reading my thoughts of wanting some fish right now." He said blandly, forgetting that sarcasm calls for a smirk and a change of tone, "I'm only joking by the way... Maybe it sees me just as differently as you are from a dog... I don't know. Fish are dumb, I don't know how they think." Nett took the bag and stared at the fish with the same kind of doll eyes it was giving him. The fish in the store seemed to also look at him too. Could he have been right about how they saw him? It was weird to think about.

Nett's focus shifted from the fish in the bag and to a man that was just about to walk past him. He had the eyes that he saw two weeks ago. Yellow and green splashes. This man smiled at him directly again as he walked on his way. Since he was paying attention more, he got a better look at the man besides his striking eyes. Blond hair. He looked a few years over how old Nett appeared to be. He looked behind them at the man's back as he walked away and blinked before looking ahead again, "You have weird humans on land... You told me not to say hello to people I don't know."

Mar stared after the man who had smiled at Nett. "Who knows? Maybe he's not normal." He said turning back to look at Nett. "Maybe he's one of your kind? One that has also grown legs, not entirely impossible if you ask me." Mar said with a shrug. "His eyes are a weird colour too. I've never seen anyone with two colours in their eyes before. Colour contacts maybe?" Someone was giving away free newspapers on the side road as they passed by. Mar grabbed one and folded it to be read when they got back. If he was lucky, people looking for employees might have advertised on the paper.

The sun was setting by the time they got back. He set up the tank in a corner before going into the bathroom to take his shower.

He never thought about that. There probably were others like himself. Hey, what if his species stopped visiting around this area because they were already living on land? What if he was the last merman in the ocean? ... No, probably not... He didn't want to ask that man 'hey, what part of the ocean are you from?' or anything that would be out of the ordinary. Who was to even say that they'd even see each other anytime soon? Laying on the mattress, looking at the newspaper blankly, he only looked at the pictures on the page since he couldn't read yet. He got to the comic section of the newspaper and read the one that had no words in it. Even though it should be easier to get, Nett didn't understand the joke. He closed the newspaper and returned it back to where Mar had placed it last.

Nett could he doing some fish watching in the corner, but instead of going there, he went to the bathroom and sat down with his back on the door. He was feeling hungry more and more often, he noticed. He could have as many hot dogs or fish as he wanted to, though it was getting old for him, which was shocking for him. He's never got sick of fish before.

In the shower, Mar turned on the water and let it beat down upon his body. Just a few seconds ago, he had started feeling faint. He couldn't be getting sick could he? Raising his hand, he rubbed the side of his head. A headache had followed. "Ugh," he muttered. Quickly turning off the water, Mar sat down on the toilet seat. The headache was getting worse by the minute. Soon, blur images that he couldn't make out clouded his mind. Mar didn't understand, why was this suddenly happening? He could make out people. But that was it, he couldn't see their faces nor did he know who they were.

As quickly as they came, the images disappeared. Mar sat there for a while, taking heavy breaths and trying to gather his bearings. After that he stood up and finished his shower. With his worn clothes slung over his arm and the other hand drying his hair, Mar opened the door and felt something hit his legs.

Nett's eyes were looking directly up at Mar when he came out, then he looked at his legs that hit him, "Sorry. I didn't know what else to do. So I waited for you to come out... You came out of your shower and you breathed heavy. Is there something wrong that happened in there?" After his question, he got up and moved out the way, "I would have opened the door, but you would have been naked and you wouldn't appreciate that."

He came in when Mar was taking a bath once even though he was told not to. Sadly, he didn't see anything before being kicked out again. Nett didn't want to make him mad, so he obeyed and never went in when Mar was inside again. Nett took place at the tank of water and Cabin, still looking at Mar. He was worried about what was going on. If there were any problems with him, he wanted to help if there was anything he could do.