Do you draw? Let's trade some tips together ^^

Dyddycat

Hi^^ I've been drawing since I was veeery youg, but I've been drawing manga only since two/three years ago.

How do you start a drawing (speaking of bases, like geometrical shapes)? and what is the hardest/easiest body part to draw in a human?

I usually start with the head and the eyes, then I use some basic shapes like circles or triangles, but not always. As for the easiest part, for me it's drawing the eyes or the hands and shoulders, while the hardest parts are usually the legs (mostly in male characters) and the feet. God, those feet...

What about you?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fan_yaoi

• lukaXGAMErs

• gin

• Dyddycat

I've been drawing for a very long time. I always start with a basic head shape before making guidelines to where I want limbs and in what direction/action I want them to be in. I usually have lots of different issues, I suppose it depends on my concentration when I'm drawing. Sometimes it's the eyes and other times it's hands but I take my time and from start to finish I could be drawing for up to 5 hours. Haha I really am a perfectionist when it comes to drawing. It really helps to get a general position idea so I used to draw my friends when they would come over.

Feet and hands used to drive me insane but after lots of practice (and I mean LOTS) I finally got them to be decent enough for my standards.

• 7 months later...

I discovered my aptitude in art when I was in high school when I first became addicted to anime. I got good at drawing anime characters (in my opinion) 4 years ago but those are just copy paste type of drawings and not original ones. And I'd mostly draw the head cos I suuuuuper suck at limbs. Back then my notebook would be full of head shots. Hahahaha

It was just recently (last year or so) that I really had the time to practice and make my own drawings. I saw a manga tutorial book in a bookstore and it said it's easier to use guidelines first so that's what I do all the time before starting a drawing. I'd draw a guideline (just plain circle for the head and sticks for body) to establish where the limbs should be and what position the character is. Then I'd do the guide for how thick/fat haha my character will be (using shapes--circles, oblong). Then I'll do the details, starting with the shape of the head, then eyes, nose, mouth, hair and clothes. I'd do lineart then color. Currently, I still suuper suck at hands and feet so I do my best to avoid drawing those. HAHAHA but at times I'll just google some reference on hands/feet. I don't have the patience to practice eh. Hahaha :)

I draw too.

I have been drawing a lot. i usally warm up with sketches for 30min-1 hour. then i start drawing.

i actually did my own art studdy schedule, what to focus on. arms, legs, eyes, shapes and so on. i learn a lot from if.

But i also had a good foundation from beggining. Studdy is the best practice... (not school. I mean art studdie/practice)

Thats the best way. Depends also what you want to do, character, landscape and so on. I focus more on character.

i use photoshop btw, and traditional mediums.

I've been doing some weird sht since I was 3 but I really paid no attention to drawing. Then I went to primary and discovered anime, I started following every pictures. Then high school came and I've soon understand the concept of making my own characters, though it's ugly asf, warii. College came and I began doodling more realistically, people's faces and whatnot.

That's it and then everything reclined. I just don't draw too much anymore, my drawings consists of WIP. :") I had commissions back then but I have to stop coz' I've been working with another job. Later on, I just draw for relaxation and when I have free times away from the internet.

:')

• dominant hand : LEFT
  • art : traditional, japanese (manga & anime), graphics
  • favorite tool : pencil. rarely watercolor
  • favorite artists : Rae (Off-record), Kuroquis, Toni Mahfud, LAS-T, GORIRAneesan
  • hardest body part to draw : feet
  • easiest body part to draw : eyes
  • favorite color : GRAY, RED, BROWN

Btw about tips.

I usaly flip the canvas to doubbel check it looks allrigt. If you stare at the picture from one angle to long you might miss the misstakes. if you flip it you will see it from a new view. I do this I draw potrait or characters. I change one of my hotkeys so it flips in PS.

I dont know if you find it usefull, but it is a good trick.

I draw from kinder or maybe grade 1. I draw anime character and mostly I draw faces. I'm weak at drawing bodies but I'm practicing right now. And for now, I can draw hands!! Yay! When i was a kid I draw some cute girls like a elementary kid, dresses and stuff.

I always draw in digital types but sometimes traditional drawing if I have time. The most hard part in drawing are.. THOSE FREAKY DESIGNS IN THEIR CLOTHES! Uh, that is all ^-^

Ohhhh I know what you mean. hate clothes, thats why i only draw naked yaoi stuff. HAHAHA

No I dont, Hahaha well if you wanna draw clothes you should studdy clotes, I did that before when i made my littel "drawing schedule"...

It wasent that littel it was about a 6 month project. But you should look att folds and stuff.And there are lots of good stuff about shadows , light, highlighs and mid tones.. Oh sorry. Im getting carried away, I have a passion for drawing.

Hands are difficult, it takes long time, depending on what style you do offcourse. I hate hands too, even if they are the best.

love drawing

Well you could perhaps check out Burne Hogarth. He has written a book about clothes. It's kinda tuff reading and lots of text. The first look of the book is "booorrriinng".

It was recommended to me and I'm affraid to say it's an awesome book. Boring but awesome and lots of info. But as I said it's kinda hardcore so I won't blame you for not reading it. (Even i haven't finished it) keep on practice. I do that to.