What makes us human?

Kuro-sama

So, I've been watching this anime and it really made me sit down for a moment and think, what exactly makes us human?

Is it the way we look? Is it the way we act? Is it the way we think? Our mistakes maybe?

I know this question isn't something amusing or something you will have fun with but I still think that it's a question worth finding an answer for. So please think about it and give me your answer.

What being human means anyway?

What makes us human?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sarah3161

• Revenga

• Never

• Kuro-sama

I still think that it's a question worth finding an answer for.

Nah, it isn't. Feel more, think less.

Take a dog and ask yourself what makes that dog a dog. What makes it dog? What being dog means anyway?

Is it the way they look? Is it the way they act? Is it the way they think? Their mistakes maybe? Boring, huh?

You only had the luck to be born a human, there's no deeper meaning.

I think what makes us human isn't because we are humans, we sorta arbitrarily decided that for ourselves. I don't think there's an exact answer to that either. Like what BlueNeon said, what makes a dog, a dog?

At first, I wanted to say, a conscious, compassion, and intelligence makes us human, but you can debunk that in an heartbeat. :)

That's a very hard and at the same time simple question

We have developed through centuries, our brain are a complicated unlike animals.

We can make hard choices unlike animals who only think about surviving

But if you want a simple answer, it's just live without harming others, live to your fullest without any regret

I know it sounds cheesy ^_^ but that's what I believe

Our flaws. Our mortality. Our ability to appreciate everything we can because we know we won't last forever. Even the things that get us down, that's humanity. I think.

(Okay, I think I should go to sleep now.

It's freaking 6 and I haven't slept yet for 24 hours.)

So, I've been watching this anime and it really made me sit down for a moment and think, what exactly makes us human?

Is it the way we look? Is it the way we act? Is it the way we think? Our mistakes maybe?

I know this question isn't something amusing or something you will have fun with but I still think that it's a question worth finding an answer for. So please think about it and give me your answer.

What being human means anyway?

What makes us human?

When I read your question, I immediately thought: So what is a human then?

The Dictionary says:

Human (Source: Great Google):

1.of, characterizing, or relating to man and mankind: human nature

2.consisting of people: the human race, a human chain

3.having the attributes of man as opposed to animals, divine beings, or machines: human failings

4.sympathetic; kind;

So it means being a mammal able to walk by two legs? have thumbs and the ability to create?Then have intelligence?Or compassion?

In middle of all this context, something kept bugging in the deep corners of my mind: If that's so, what about those who are called monsters by others? I'm sure most of us have heard that common phrase: You're not human/you're a monster. (Even if just anime)

That usually is: someone different enough to not be considered as such, or a criminal.

Working with the first possibility, the capacity of being a human was given by those who are accepted or have the features/behavior/faith/or whatever considered acceptable by the community in question.

The second option, Would be someone that made something so atrocious that is not considered human anymore. People don't think of him/her as a 'human' like them. Because what he/she did was something that a 'human' wouldn't never do. The community judged him to be a dangerous being to the society and decided would be for the best his/her deprivation of freedom or elimination.

So. Not defending anyone here but what make us a human? Surely lots of things and features. But also it is a conception (the 'human word') labeling those who are adequate or not, to be considered as one of us. It identifies those who are 'suitable' in the preserved group.