Dragon Age

Ragne

Dragon Age is a series of videogames by Bioware. They are fantasy game where you can make your character (male or woman, different looks and in the first game your character can be a human, elf or dwarf and you have different origin stories), your choices and get different game paths and endings.

Right now there are two games: Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age II. They both deal with the different relationships between mages and non mages but while the second game is directly about it (and you are the hero of a city called Kirkwall) in the first game you are just a random guy or gal who has to stop the Blight, which is basically a demon invasion (also featuring best villain ever

For a more complete plot:

DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS

You have different origins that you can play but all the same you end up (for different reasons) joining the Grey Wardens, a group of warriors able to perceive the dark spawn, basically demons and creatures of the other world called the Fade. You work for the young naive king but your new life is quite short when a betrayal brings to the killing of all the wardens (and the king) but you and your friend Alistair. Now alone, you know that soon there will be a massive attack of dark spawns and you decide to use the traties that the people of the continent signed with the Grey Wardens. You will travel through the continent with the companions you will find along your journey to stop the Blight and save the kingdom from the dark spawn.

DRAGON AGE II

The continent is being attacked by dark spawn and after the death of your father, you (Hawke, male or female) are running with your family to Kirkwall, a city where your mother once used to live. Once in Kirkwall, with your brother/sister, and a knight woman you met on the journey, Aveline, you have to find a way to take again the old honor that your mother's family used to be and the money and house that your drunk uncle lost and sold. Which seems rather simple, but you are actually quite a rascal and during the game you meet different people and decide for different missions, slowly becoming so famous in Kirkwall to be known as the Hero of Kirkwall.

Among your companion there is Varric, a sarcasti dwarf who is also the narrator of the story.

It's an incredibly well done game, with wonderful female (and male) characters and a whole lot of choices. I especially loved being a mage because the magics were amazing.

Even if you never played videogames before, I think this could be extremely fun!

A

. A Trailer of the
. The trailer of the
Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

And because this is a forum about yaoi I think we should talk about the romances too!

Dragon Ages: origins

There are of course romances with female characters and male characters.

In the first game, if you are male you can romance

and
and
, if you are female you can romance Zevran and Leliana and
. This means that if your character is a gay man he can romance only one man (Zevran) (but of course if you download the cheats like I did, you can romance Alistair too).

Zevran is an elf assassin, previously raised in a brotherl, that another character hire to kill you and during the game you can decide if you want to kill him or take him with you and in that case you can romance him :D

There are of course different endings you can have in the game and these influences the endings of your love story.

Personally Zevran and Morrigan are my favourite romances

! Your character and Zevran (this is a mod, I could find the not modded version. Basically a mod is a cheat/added code in the game made by fans, there are a lot of them and very easy to install).

Dragon Age II

I think the story of this game is a little more darker. You can still be male or female but you are Hawke, a man/woman on the run with your family from the country destroyed by the Blight and you arrive in Kirkwall, a city where the relationship between mages and non mages is particularly hard. Still, I promised I would talk about romance and this game has a lot more romances. It doesn't matter if you are man or a woman, you can always romance

(the strangely cute blood mage elf),
(the pirate sex-lover),
(the ex slave on the run),
(the possessed healer mage) and the there is the extra
(the absolutely chaste Church boy, but actually you can romance him only if you are female because.. well I don't know).

All the romances are extremely interesting and basing on how friendly you are with the different characters you will get different outcomes and romances.

In fact you can have a friendly romance (which is sweet and cuddly) or a rival-romance (which is full of anger and passion).

I am personally a Fenris-friendly-romance person in case of BL romance in this game, but the romance with Anders is quite good too (and tormented) and also the rival-romance with Fenris especially if your character is a mage.

Spoilery:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragne

• Dev

• Sloan

• ldg1814

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! It's so nice to finally meet someone who has played or (like me) playing Dragon Age.

I am playing Dragon Age Origins at the moment and love it. My favourite romance is me and a certain Templar that has a soft core and is very friendly ;) Know the one?

Yup I used mods but I really liked Alistair and it wasn't possible for same sex relationships to work with this character so, as one would, I MADE IT WORK DAMN IT!

HE'S MINEEEEE!!!! Muhahahhaaaaaaaa *coughs and falls over*

I've never completed the game entirely but I have restarted my gameplay 3 times.

Completed Skyrim though! I am sad that once the main story is over there is nothing else left :(

Ohh, Alistair is just so so sweet, I admit I get all fluffy feelings when I have a female warden and I play the romance with him. And he is just too fun to tease XD

And I am so glad to meet someone who is playing Dragon Age too! Ohh, I started it a lot too before completing it because I wanted to see all the origins. What's your favourite origin?

(btw, how is Skyrim? I never played it :D)

Playing as a female isn't the same IF you are a male... Personal opinion though!

Unsure what you mean by "all the origins". I am currently just playing the base game and following the storyline though I have completed some of the additional content missions.

Skyrim is very similar to DAO but it is focused on Dragons more so than DAO.

Really? I don't know, I am a woman and I love playing both female and male characters also if I get some personal power trips when I play a female character because I don't get to do it a lot in videogames :D

Different origins meaning different stories at the beginning, with the female city elf or male city elf, dward etc. My favourite one used to be the Mage one but I have a special love for the Common Dwarf now

Will you also play DAII in the future? :D

(Ohh, I'll try to look for it, then! Yes, true enough, it's called Dragon Age but there are not many dragons X3)

I've played both Origins and II. They were great and I played through both a few times. No mods though.

I wanna woo Alistair! *pout pout*

I kept meaning to try different romance options in II, but in the end, it turns out Fenris was always the only one for me. The rival romance is hotness. *shrugs* Eventually, I checked out the other romances via videos online, just so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on something.

It's been a while since I've played, but I'd been thinking about the games recently and wanting to play them again. Now this thread has them firmly stuck in my mind and I really might have to play them again now.

As for Skyrim, I haven't quite beaten yet. There are two reasons for that. One, I had to restart my entire game because I encountered a major glitch so deep inside a main plot dungeon that I had gotten careless and didn't have any saves from before I started. After a few days of getting over my rage, I was right back at it. Because really, I was having so much fun even having to start over wasn't enough to detour me, but then my xbox died and I just haven't gotten back to it yet. But, I will!!!!

If you like romance subplots in your games though, don't really look for them here. While you can get married, and technically you can have a same sex partner, relationships are pretty much an afterthought designed to give you small game play benefits, rather than any feeling of romance.

I played all the romances in DAII but I never finished Anders D: I don't know why, it seems like I can't manage to complete it. Yes, I get to basically always romance Fenris too XD I can't stop. When I start and he appears I just want my Hawke to start cuddling him. Yet, I played two female Hawkes and I got myself to romance Merrill and then Isabela. As much as I love Isabela and her character I didn't like too much her romance but I really loved Merrill's. It was so sweet! And full of moral dilemma.

I love both rivalromance and friendlyromance but I prefer friendlyromance because

because I get to teach him to read.

(Aw, Skyrim feels like Fable, in there you could get married too but not in a romance, you just had to give them gifts and then buy a house, still the plot seems quite good).

I really was going to romance Anders once...really. But it's like you said

, once Fenris shows up...

I haven't finished the game with a female character, but I will. A buddy of mine said just about exactly the same thing about Isabela and Merrill, so I kinda of want to give wooing her a try.

I've played a lot of Fable and Fable II, but its been an awful long time. As a random side note: My mother also plays video games and once she loaded into my world with me in Fable II only to discover that my male character had a spouse in every town (she didn't know you could do that) and they were all also male (she didn't know you could do that either). I told her I had a wife, in the castle, and two little children (and Royal Heir and a spare). And that I had to have husbands everywhere else to protect the line of succession. She decided that was odd, but acceptable, logic.

Also, this is even more off topic...

And also a different genre, but another game series that offers decent romancing subplots with m/m options (if limited ones) is Mass Effect 2 and 3 (the original Mass Effect offers romance, but no m/m options).

Yes, Merrill's romance is lovely! But I couldn't play the rival one because I always end up treating her like a child. It feels creepy.

Ohh, I never played Fable II because I only have the PC. I've meant to try Fable III and Mass Effect for some time. Especially Mass Effect knowing it's from Bioware, I always hesitate because I am not a big fan of sci fi (a part from some tv shows) so I fear I would end up not loving it? But from the other side the characters seem to be so well delineated!

I have played DO2 but I was annoyed that the main character was not customisable as it was in the first game. I am a perfectionist and like to have my "vision of beauty" to work out... Didn't play past the first fight you get as soon as the game begins though I may give it another chance.

I have tried elf and human but always as a male. The Human royal (not the right name apologies) story made me cry. I felt so upset with how things had happened it was so sad. When I watch or think of stuff I mentally place myself in the situation to understand the emotions and it gets to me. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

I played my first several times without any mods but I wanted Alistair and I wanted some sexier outfits (slimmer and toned body armour) so those are the only mods I have ever implemented.

I was upset that no matter what I did, Alistair was unable to be "wooed".

Oi! I had to restart my entire game also!!! I still finished it though :p

Lydia was lost in the game, she wasn't dead but she wasn't next to me either and she wasn't at home. I was advised by Customer Service to use an old savegame (I always overwrite my saves... Genius *rolls eyes*) so I restarted to keep Lydia by my side.

Lydia

I kept romance strictly to DAO. Skyrim was way too much fun to mix any marriage betrothed business. Aint nobody got time for that! Dragons are loose in the skies damn it! XD

Oh human story is quite sad, I was so shocked, because I get to really have fun in the castle and everything was adorable in pretty. I think that the most shoking origin is female city elf, it- I just can't and I don't know if it's healthy but the satisfaction I get in killing that damn kidnapper human is immense.

What do you mean customisable? If you mean the possibility between elf/dwarf/human, I agree, I was a little disappointed in not being able to decide for the origin of my character but the look of the character is customisable. As much as I love the look of default female Hawke, I am not a fan of default Garrett Hawke so I always change his look. And the good thing is that depending on how you change the look of your Hawke you will get slightly different version of your brother, sister and mother in the game :)

This has been my favourite mage Marian Hawke, romancing Isabela

tumblr_mwbnbhspbu1qbxgz2o1_500.png

One of the thing I love is looking at other people's Hawke in fanarts

Totally random but I kind of ship Isabela/Merrill.

Though there are some very notable exceptions, heavy sci-fi isn't usually my thing either. I totally passed the game up myself when it first came out. I ended up playing it to waste some time at a friends house and was hooked, despite the fact that other than being an RPG it is completely outside of my usual interests. I enjoyed the plot and the character interactions and didn't struggle with the combat, even though I'm notoriously bad at anything remotely resembling a 'shooter.' The fact that your major decisions continue to effect your game play through out the rest of the series gave it a depth of story and sense of accomplishment that I enjoyed (I remember thinking 'The things I did in the last game actually still mattter!!! sweeet!').

I think I will try it :D I am reassured that you liked it being like me not a big fan of sci fi. There are three games right? Is it like Dragon Age II and Origins or are they more connected?

Also

I tought about it and I think I mean what you meant! At the beginning you can't costumize your Hawke (only chose the sex and the class) because it's Varric (one of your future companion) who is narrating to Cassandra what happened... from his point of view. After Cassandra tells him that she wants the real story, you will be able to costumize Hawke and basically re-enact (with mush less heroics) the fight against the ogre. I think you meant this?

It's even more connected than Dragon Age. Basically, if you choose to, in each consecutive game you pretty much pick the story back up with the same character you played in the last game with an 'imported save.' You retain your previous looks (or close to, improved graphics and small changes) but can choose to change them (so you aren't stuck with the same look if you dont want to be). You receive some bonuses for importing. I just woke up and my brain hasn't quite caught up. I dont want to lie to you about what they are though (maybe xp and/or items). Also, as mentioned before, certain key decisions (including romance subplots, though again like you're looks you dont have to choose to have the same in the next game) that you made in previous games follow you through the series and effect the story line and game play in small and occasionally large ways. Hands down. it was the most 'connected' series I have ever played and I was really surprised and pleased with the that complexity.

I was majorly disappointed when I first loaded DAII as well. I also didn't make it past the first battles before putting the game back down and going back to the first one (I had borrowed both from a friend to play for the first time). I did eventually come back to it and as Ragne says if you continue along you will get the chance to customize your character.

That is EXACTLY what I was talking about! Yay thank you for making sense of what i said. Could not recall exactly what happened during my first time playing and was worried nobody would be able to understand :s

oh coolies!

I come from playing games like The Sims so creating my own characters, forever changing their clothes, hair etc is something I enjoy a lot. Same in RL, if I really wanted to change my hair I could get a haircut, put on a hat/wig, change my clothes etc.

I will give DA2 another go soon. Promise to both of you :)

I may pick up my DAO in a moment and continue my story... Alistair needs to go to that meeting with the lords and crown a king. Thanks for my love mod I should be able to be "queen" (King and Kween? Kween could be the male version of Queen? Lol I dunno anymore XD).

Cheerio!

ldXR8QK.gif

I agree about customizing! One of the thing I liked of DAII is that in a download-able content you can install a market in our map where you can buy stuff and changing your look during the game, using a magical mirror.

Happy playing! : D haha and happy ruling of Ferelden!

Wonderful! I am 100% convinced. As soon as I am done with my uni last tests I will buy the first game :D

Also... hopes for Dragon Age Inquisition? A part of me can't wait to play it but I'll also be very sad if it'll be the last installment in the Dragon Age universe. I hope not?

Thank you! Thanks for the info on the magic mirror and for me starting my rein as Kween XD

Alistair will do all the hard work if I can help it... I will run out and just keep fixing myself up so I look good when nightfall comes ;) Kill a few goblins along the way. All in a days work *wink and hair flip* hehe

In terms of the final installment. From a business perspective it is solely based on the sales made by the company for the title and overall performance of the company. For example, many have said there will not be an Elder Scrolls Skyrim II due to the entire series being known as Elder Scrolls and some other points I can not recall at this point in time.

Perhaps Bethesda are pursuing other games, they are fully aware Skyrim is a good game and feel it is pointless to begin creating a sequel therefore working on new titles.

Whereas EA constantly work on their "The Sims" title (I want to say it is one of their major money makers but don't quote me) and are to release their Sims 4 this year. There is constant innovation and expansion work on The Sims so a "final title" is hard to see in the distant future.

I would keep my fingers crossed, do a little research and let everyone know about the game so everyone can buy it and encourage the company to work on a sequel at a later date.

Woah tangent sorry x

That is true! I will also forever keep buying Bioware stuff and throwing money at them so that I can play their games until I am 70 years old.

Sometimes I think about how it would be to have a Dragon Age Origins (and II) tv show or movie. Gosh, it would be great and I think that for Dragon Age Origins the maximum of tv show stuff (as in stuff that people want to watch etc.) would be with a female (romancing Alistair) or a male (romancing Morrigan) human noble warrior. So that they can have the maximum of romantic angst related to the plot, and of course they would be goody good (and disapprove on Morrigan wanting blood magic and on Zevran being an assassin) and Wynne would be the Gandalf-esque motherly figure.

as long as the show does not make it onto ABC then your dream might just come true XD

I have found that nearly every show I have loved has been canceled. Common denominator was that the shows were all on the ABC channel.

End rant.

Lol well how many more years have you to go, throwing money at Bioware? ;)

The related comments made me laugh - wanted to let you know :p

Have a great weekend! x

Pushing Daisies is one... Doll House is another :p

Ugly Betty... It has an abrupt ending no?

Seriously check out Doll House BUT do not watch the final 2 episodes of season 2.

Pushing Daisies is my favourite tv show

Omg I found the mod to have a marriage with Zevran *now I need to replay it*

LOL

have fun ;)

Mods are a nice way of tailoring the game to ones taste... I don't see them as bad (especially if you have played the same enough to know what the "vanilla" way of things is).

I admit I am not a fan of mods that modify the look of characters (a part from the Warden/Hawke, in that case I installed mods for more hair styles X3), it happened mostly in DAII where I found around mods to make Aveline (a warrior character) more 'beautiful' and 'feminine' and Isabela... well, whiter.

But I am all for mods that add stuff elsewhere, also if I basically never used them. I only installed the fix-Zevran dialogue to have the right dialogues in some points. I would really love to have the mod for DAII where I can have the romance scene of Isabela also for Fenris but I can't find it sigh

maybe that mod was never made?

Keep an eye out for mods that indirectly allow you to have what you want. Maybe some form of "love potion" (sorry I am going back to my Sims days where we could give potions for anything lol).

I used modifiers for my character's look but only so I had a nice default face to use as a base to modify the heck out of and armor that makes my man look like a hot piece of candy! XD

Among other things... Gameplay modifiers so I can get the story I want.

Nothing too extreme. I like perfection (subjective) and want my vision to come through.