[Yukonwolfspirit & ZX-MetalMonster] (Private 18+)

ZX-MetalMonster

Though the castle was their primary concern the knights also patrolled the city. Darcy used the opportunity to better acquaint himself with the locals and was happy to find out he could buy many useful things in the shops and bring them back into the castle without being question thanks to his position. He also discovered that criminals were prospering in the capital ever since the old guard had been rooted out. His own men were foreigners and would need a long time to become familiar even with the streets, let alone the city's underground. Though this suited Darcy who was more alike the lawbreakers he was tasked with eradicating than the knight he was masquerading as. He made quick work of getting in contact with a number of criminals of note and assured them their operations could go on unimpeded, as long as they made their services available to the guard captain who turned a blind eye to their wrong doing.

The sun was low when he arrived back, a small glass vile filled with silver shaving was the only thing he brought back in secret, though he doubted anyone would understand the malicious intent behind the item if they found it. The prince had given him the idea himself to use silver in place of traditional poisons. A piece of the knight's own armor was a poor choice, the plate was new and any damage done to it would be obvious and incriminating, he in stead had one of his new contacts provide the fine powder. A group of crooked merchants were making a profit scraping a meager amount of silver and other precious metals off the items they were trading. The scheme was profitable only thanks to the sheer number of trades they made every day. The expensive items they dealt in always arrived to the buyer lighter than promised or weighed with cheap substitute materials. They drove a hard bargain, knowing that the guardsman wouldn't come to them or buy silver in this form if he wanted to use it in any usual way. They drove the price higher than was reasonable for such a small amount of the substance and, largely out of spite, the demon refused to pay them anything and intimidated them into cooperating.

Darcy was sick of silver himself by the time he shed his armor and started to recover from it's ill effects, however a servant came by the guard's quarters and instructed him to meet the prince before he'd gotten any rest. It was possible he'd already been asked and agreed to assist his master in the evening, after the long day he'd had he couldn't remember and it was irrelevant, a summons from the prince couldn't be shrugged off.  

Despite the effort he'd put into procuring both a makeshift poison and a network of contacts, Darcy wanted nothing more than to catch the prince alone and asleep. Killing men while they toiled with night terrors was in all likelihood what he was made to do. It was also one of the most painless deaths he could think of and that mattered to him after the time he'd spent with the prince, even though it was brief.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yukonwolfspirit

• ZX-MetalMonster

Standing outside by the stables Yukie smiled as he looked over the horse he had purchased for Darcy. The horse was pitch black and quite huge and in Yukies mind fit for a grand knight like Darcy. “His temperament is good.” Yukie mumbled as he gently pet the horse who was much taller then him. “And he looks strong.” Yukie added as he was being much more thorough with his inspection before paying the merchant.

“Might I ask why you requested a new horse?” Luca asked as he paid the merchant and sent him off the castle already equipped with enough horses for the men to use on patrol.

”Well, our new captain deserves a new horse. My father gifted uncle a new horse when he became captain and then a new horse yearly of the captains choosing. This one is a gift that I have chosen and next year he can have his pick.” Yukie explained as he smiled softly and continued to pet the beast before him. “In turn I will learn to ride and fight on my fathers horse. It’s gentle enough to learn from and I feel a true king should lead by example. I can’t send my men out to fight unless I could lead by example in the ranks. A king is only as good as his people.” Yukie finished before studying the silver armor he had bought Darcy and the matching set for the horse.

”I’m surprised by picked silver. Usually your not so fond of such metal” Luca replied as he raised a brow as Yukie gently touched it his skin burning and turning to a black inky mess at his fingertips at the lightest touch. Taking his hand back quickly Yukie winced at the burn that easily healed back to normal his skin looking flawless after healing. 

“Naturally I wouldn’t let it in the castle wall, but Darcy’s armor is silver. He wears it all the time so it must be his armor of choice. To have a full set would be good for him” Yukie explained as he stepped away from the matching set in display for the knight. “Not only that I’m not the only monster out there, this will help protect him.” Yukie finished trying to hide that he was rather fond of Darcy, but well Luca wasn’t an idiot.

”Mmhhmmm. Shall I invite him to the ball and give him first dance?” Luca teased Yukie who only blushed and lightly smacked his shoulder. 

“Please! We just met…he would most likely turn down such an offer anyway.” Yukie mumbled his face beet red as he sighed. “Anyway, after this I plan on going out riding despite not really knowing how it can’t be to hard. I mean I’ve seen my brothers do it a thousand times.” Yukie added as he mentioned for one of the stable hands to bring out his fathers gentle mare for him to ride.

Still a newcomer to the castle, Darcy didn't know where he was being led until the stables came into view. He meant to ask why the prince wanted to meet him here but the servant who'd brought him was already off to tend to other business. He inhaled deeply and huffed, not too pleased with how his evening was going though he was ready to give his master the benefit of the doubt and masked his frustration the best he could for the time being. The knight stood in place and tried to spot the prince without having to wander the stables and make all of the horses uneasy. It didn't take long for his eyes to come upon the prince who, as was normally the case, stood in the company of the castle keeper. However Darcy hesitated to approach the two men, weary of the all black creature beside them, though it didn't seem to reciprocate his anxiety and stood firm in place unlike how animals normally reacted to the his presence. Perhaps he'd halted in time and was too far away to upset the animal but the knight also remembered some warhorses were trained to be unflinching so soldiers could ride them into the thick of battle.

-"You wanted to see me your grace?" Darcy lingered a few steps away, trying to decipher what Yukie would have him do and hoping it wouldn't involve going out on horseback. Though he found it curious how the other demon didn't seem to share any of his concerns and wondered if perhaps all along his troubles with domestic beasts didn't stem from his being a demon but had more to do with Darcy not knowing how to approach the creatures.

“Ah! I had a few gifts planned for you. A knight should truly look the part.” Yukie exclaimed as he smiled upon seeing Darcy like a love struck puppy. Mentioning to the magnificent beast beside him Yukie gently petted the horses nose. “He was raised by a demon who specializes in war horses for demon lords.” Yukie explained as he looked up at the horse who stood still beside him. “I thought having a horse like this would suit you, and it would help it would be terrified of me if I approached you or you rode beside me.” Yukie explained as his own mount was brought over to him the horse flinching and moving away. Gently petting his own horse Yukie calmed it down with soft whispered until it was relaxed.

“Yukie also thought you could use some silver armor to match what you already had.” Luca replied as he looked at Darcy knowing as of now he would be the only knight with silver armor in the ranks. “I do ask you keep it for patrol only and to please wear something else inside the castle.” Luca added as he watched the stable hand saddle up both horses.

Even with the situation explained to him Darcy was tentative in approaching the black horse but step by step he arrived beside the animal and greeted it with a light touch. As promised, the creature stood firm in place, unafraid of the knight who couldn't help smiling at the beast, wondering where his liege expected him to go though thankful all the same. For the time being the only experience he had was being thrown off by a horse as a child, he had no idea how the ride, let alone fight from horseback.

-"Thank you, your grace. Though one suit of silver armor was already more coin than I though any master would spend on me. There was no need for you to arm me all over again." Darcy protested though his attention was still on the prince's first gift and even being shackled with another suit of silver plate wasn't enough to sour his mood. "I'll wear plain clothes while I'm in the castle." He assured the keeper, knowing what the older man was weary of though Darcy planned to feign ignorance in front of him if possible. "I don't think I have anything to fear... and it's more comfortable."

“Mmh I’m sure you’ll forget. And when you do I’ll be there to swiftly correct you since Yukie won’t.” Luca replied as he got a glare from Yukie who was climbing up onto his own steed.

”Luca hush!” Yukie snapped knowing the keeper was protective, of Yukie but for Yukie he of course had no reason to suspect Darcy. “Come on Darcy a quick ride to test him out.” Yukie replied as he lead the way on his horse nudging it forward. “Just hop on and nudge the sides with you heels~” Yukie called back as he was going to show Darcy the basics he had learned from his brothers when he had been curious.

With the prince having already reprimanded the keeper Darcy was happy to shrug off his warning, though he gave the older man a small smirk. He looked like an insolent child who'd gotten away with something mischievous. He'd won his masters trust and favor and derived confidence from that, though he'd already felt at ease with his master after the night they'd spent together. He'd spoken his mind and the prince had been lenient with him, pampered him even.

-"Shouldn't we call for someone to instruct us? Neither of us really know what we're doing." The knight suggested reluctant to do as he was told, knowing that his master was almost as clueless as himself. The right decision was to invite one of the other guardsmen, they had more to teach the prince and he hadn't yet shown interest in growing a bond with anyone but the captain. Darcy worried the other knights would grow resentful of the prince showing favoritism, though he wasn't sure why he was threating over how the other demon was perceived.

“No, I do the whole breaking an arm approach.” Yukie replied with a chuckle as he looked at Darcy. “Don’t tell me your afraid of riding?” Yukie teased as he looked pulled the reigns back to slow the horse down. Looking over at Luca Yukie waved for him to leave Luca frowning as he did as told and Yukie continued walking the horse towards a forest path. “How about this. If you can join me and at least pick up some skill from this outing I’ll make sure your men get armor by spring.” Yukie offered wanting to sweeten the chance of Darcy actually joining him on and outing. 

-"Weren't you already planning to do that?" Though he questioned his liege, Darcy examined the tall black horse again, intuiting how to raise himself onto the saddle. The prince had been right, something about riding frightened him but the knight would never admit as much. "You can't go off on your own. Just don't complain if I turn out to be a slow learner... It was your idea to take me in stead of someone who knows what they're doing." Darcy argued and tried with careful gestures to instruct his mount to follow the path into the forest where it seemed the prince intended to go. "Really though, why do you insist on doing this with me? ARe you afraid I'll avoid learning if you don't push me?"  

“Honestly yeah, but I planned on the end of summer to purchase better armor for your men” Yukie replied as he smirked at Darcy following behind him. “If I don’t force you to join me on outings would you really ever do it. Not only that how would you learn?” Yukie asked as he slowed the horse down to a slow walk beside Darcy. “Not only that I need someone who not going to tattle to Luca about where I am going in my free time.” Yukie added as he lead a touch off the path onto a thin path that went much deeper into the forest. “I like to visit an old friend of mine.” Yukie explained with a smirk the prince moving to the front with his steed to continue leading the way to the forest witches house.

The woods turned dark around them as night approached, shadows swallowed everything beyond the thin path they followed and Darcy felt more at ease, though he still struggled with the reigns. It would be pitch black when they make their way back and he wondered if the other demon had accounted for that and was unafraid, or if the time of day had slipped his mind. Whatever dwelled in the forest wouldn't trouble them, unless the prince's friend was someone dangerous, though Darcy had no reason to think Yukie would lead him to his death. If one of them was to turn traitor and spill the others blood, it wouldn't be the prince.

-"Why are you so sure I won't tell the keeper?" It was obvious from the playful tone of Darcy's voice that he was only teasing and wouldn't cause the prince any trouble. Though he suspected the young man had no obligation to explain himself or listen to any of his servants.

“Because if you do I’m very certain you’ll get quite a lashing. We aren’t exactly in the kingdom anymore.” Yukie explained as he continued down the path that seemed well remembered for him to find his way. “Don’t worry though we will be back by morning and I already have someone covering for me.” Yukie added with a happy smirk that he had planned it all out with one of the maids who was going to sleep in his room as him. “If we get caught I’ll take the punishment in your place~” Yukie teased playfully as they continued riding until they came across a very cozy and inviting cottage that was surrounded by lots of plants and a large garden. “This is grannies house. She only accepts being called granny and she’s rather nice. She’s the one who did my brothers prophecy’s  and mine. She most likely saw us coming” Yukie explained as he slid off his horse and tied it to a post that looked like it had been placed today for their visit.

Darcy was lost in thought the rest of the way, wondering among other things if the punishment the prince mentioned was real. He didn't believe anyone back at the castle would dare or have the heart to discipline the prince, though he could see a lashing in his own future if anything bad happened on his watch. His upbringing had been harsh but he'd never been severely punished before. Even as a grown man he was never caught and made to pay for his crimes. The realization made the knight chuckle quietly, he'd had it easy up to now.

-"I've heard about your prophecy... I asked about it." Darcy admitted as he carefully dismounted and tied his horse to the post in a similar fashion to what the prince had done, using the other man's actions as a guide whenever he was unsure what to do. Before heading towards the cottage he lingered by the black steed, reluctant both to leave the remarkable beast that had been entrusted to him and to meet the old woman who waited for them. "Are you sure this witch is your friend?" 

“Shes the closest thing I have to another of my kind.” Yukie explained having grown to trust the woman ever since he had first gotten lost deep in the forest when exploring. “She found me when I had gotten lost once when younger. She took me in and later that evening took me back home safely.” Yukie explained as he looked at Darcy who seemed unsure. “She didn’t lie about my future. It was just misunderstood what would happen.”

”I was cursed to loose everyone around me and have the curse of being alone. She never said I would be killing the princes like everyone assumed would happen but that I would witness their tragedy. My own future going past that point is unknown even now for her. I wanted to come here because we are having a giant ball at the castle…I want to know if my future lines up with any of the romantic partners coming.” Yukie admitted as he blushed thinking about such a silly reading being done. “That…and I want to know if I should be worried about any accidents since misfortune seems to follow me.” Yukie added not knowing that the princes deaths had been assassination attempts that had gone wrong by his uncle who was trying to claw his way up to the throne by taking out any completion for his son.

Darcy wouldn't try to stop the prince from seeing the witch knowing the lengths the young man had gone to for this opportunity. However he worried what she might tell him if her gift of foresight was genuine and debated with himself if it was better to accompany the prince inside or wait by the door. Perhaps it was too much to hope that staying out of sight would also keep him out of the witch's visions and the right choice was to hear everything first hand and know if he's been found out.

-"We've come this far, there's no point trying to convince you to go back now." The knight conceded and drew in a deep breath to dispel some of his anxiety though his mood could easily be misread as exasperated. "Though, do you really need magic to tell you if you like someone or not?"

“Well it’s not just that I want my future read… it’s also just nice to have someone who doesn’t treat me as royalty and actually invites me to visit because they enjoy my company.” Yukie added with a small smile as he grabbed a nicely wrapped book from his bag. “Everyone is always so careful how they act around me…it’s kinda nice to have someone normal.” Yukie admitted as he suddenly pounded on the door. “Old hag! Wake up I brought you a gift~” Yukie yelled being as noisy and obnoxious as he could to wake up the witch.

”Pound on my door again and I’ll really turn you into a toad!” The witch yelled as she opened the door lightly smacking Yukie with a broom the prince laughing as he blocked the soft bristles.

”I’d love to be a toad. Please oh please grant me the life of a toad.” Yukie teased back with a happy laugh as he ducked out of the way the witch huffing before setting down her broom.

”come inside….both of you.” She replied as she had noticed Darcy and was wondering why Yukie would bring such a creature like him to her house. “Your late today. To busy picking out tablewear to visit?” The witch asked Yukie who scoffed and helped himself to the cookies in the cupboard.

(the witch name pending)

spacer.png

Darcy frowned to himself wondering what about the way he treated the prince seemed disingenuous, he couldn't help but count himself among the overly careful servants the young man complained about. He'd lied to the prince, otherwise he wouldn't be standing by his side, but he'd never held his tongue, he wasn't even sure he knew how to.

Unlike the prince who was cheerful and seemed right at home in the witch's cottage, Darcy greeted the stranger with only a nod and entered the small home as if something was waiting behind every corner to jump out at him. He hoped it was typical for a knight to be that weary and that his behavior wouldn't be questioned but still willed himself to calm down. Despite crossing the room step by step while he surveyed his surroundings, he kept close to the other demon but couldn't decide what he gained from the proximity beyond being comforted by his presence. It wasn't like he could cover the prince's ears or grab him and run out if the witch started to reveal incriminating information.

“So what is someone like you doing with Yukie?” The witch asked as she sat at the table having already set out three teacups and a fresh pot of tea. The witches words where heavy as if she could tell, or could feel that Darcy wasn’t what he was acting as. “I knew Yukie was getting new guards I mean after the last poisoning attempt he had to get more security but…it’s strange seeing a knight like yourself stepping up, you don’t really seem like the others I’ve seen.” With witch added with a small smirk as she poured Yukie some tea the demon sitting down with the jar of cookies.

”he’s from another kingdom, not from the village.” Yukie explained oblivious to what the witch was saying as he continued to eat the cookies.

”Mmh hmmmm.” The witch replied as she sipped her tea he eyes staring directly at Darcy as Yukie explained.

Darcy was thankful the prince seemed dismissive of the witch's questions and even answered on his behalf. If he ever needed to distract the young man in the future a jar of cookies seemed to be the best way to do it. "I'm don't know what you mean. I was recruited just like the other knights." Darcy added in his defense and refused to squirm under the woman's cold stare, in stead locking his pitch black eyes on her. He didn't believe she could really turn them into toads or would slip anything in their food or drink, knowing the prince was her friend. Still Darcy had no interest in the tea and was slow to sit down, looming over his master for a long moment before he settled. "The prince brought me with him so he can trick the servants and cover up where he's going."

“Oh I’m sure that’s really the reason” the witch replied making Yukie choke a little on his snack. “I mean it really takes your help for him to sneak out.” The witch mumbled as she smiled while sipping her tea amused by the neon pink rushing to Yukies cheeks. Unknowing to Darcy Yukie had already gushed to her about Darcy in a very cute letter so she was well informed about the princes crush. “I’m glad you two could visit. ”Nimue is my name by the way. I tend to future readings and basic healing magic loooove potions~.” Nimue explained knowing she added with a snicker as Yukie “accidentally” knocked over the teapot.

”oops. Looks like you’ll need more tea then what you have. Why don’t I help you make a fresh pot?” Yukie asked his smile clearly one of burning embarrassment and I want to die as he got up and searched through the cupboard for tea making sure to disorganize the place as he searched.

”alright, I’ll back off I get the hint.” mumbled as she got up and sent Yukie to sit back down.

-"What's gotten into you?" Darcy gave the prince a puzzled look, momentarily too distracted by his antics to exchange glares with the witch. By now he'd been given many clues that his master was infatuated with him but they all flew over his head and made the situation at hand impossible to decipher. The prince had ulterior motives for bringing him into the forest, that was the only thing he understood from the bizarre exchange. "If you can get away so easily why did you really insist on bringing me along?" The knight asked outright though there was no anger in his voice at being deceived. He suspected the reason was something innocent, having learned enough about the young man in the past few days to consider him too good hearted to lure a man into the woods with the intent to cause harm.

“Well…in the event I can’t leave each week to come here I need someone I trust to get my medicine.” Yukie admitted as he refused to look at Darcy while looking for tea.

”Honestly I think you should just send Luca. I’d adore seeing him marching through the forest weekly to pick up your herbal teas.” Nimue added as she sighed and got up reaching up in a cupboard before handing the tea to Yukie. 

“I get sick in the winter and sometimes really weak. The tea Nimue makes helps keep me healthy.” Yukie explained as he sighed and sat down giving in and letting the witch make the tea. “Nimue deals with any medicine needs I have. Ideally she prepares them ahead of time for me and I pick them up as needed. We communicate through a messenger crow.” Yukie added as he cleaned up the split tea.

”not only that but…we need you to not kill the few demons that live around the kingdom. They are good for the kingdom and the rest of the kingdom doesn’t know about them, just like they don’t know about me.” Nimue explained as she set a fresh pot down on the now clean table.

The animosity between him and witch was plain to see and Darcy wondered how the woman would treat him if next time he came alone. Her words were strewn with hints that she could sense the knight's true nature or his ill intentions. Perhaps the only reason she didn't speak her mind and seal the demon's fate was to spare the prince more heartache when he'd only just dealt with the previous captain. Darcy couldn't say for sure and erred on the side of caution, feigning ignorance so not to confirm any suspicions the witch might have.

-"I don't know of any demons or witches other than the ones in this room. Either way I'm here for the prince, not to exterminate magic from the kingdom." It should have been of no consequence to the knight but he was glad to know demons lived in this realm, even if in hiding. "I don't think there's anything like you where I come from though."

“Darling I’m one of a kind.” Nimue replied as she smiled softly and sipped her tea. “Though I see your future as very interesting. Can’t wait to see how it plays out and blossoms.” Nimue teased Darcy as she smiled and looked at Yukie who only was silently drinking his tea. “By the way, your visitor is waiting in the woods he’s been watching you all day. The way I see it blood will be spilled tonight.” Nimue explained his face a touch annoyed and upset as she spoke to Yukie who frowned.

”no other info? I mean at least a face or name?” Yukie asked as he looked at Nimue who shrugged and set her cup down.

”no, sometimes the things I see are vague like just wounds. Or they can be blackness surrounding someone signaling death. This person whoever it is that’s been following you is a black shadow watching you and each contact I’m seeing shows wounds.” Nimue explained as she gently took Yukies hand to double check things. “He’s got a strong connection to you, all I can see is a red string connecting you and your unwanted guest. It’s completely different from the one I’m seeing with Darcy. This one is straight and sharp while his is tangled.” Nimue finished as she gently pat Yukies hand before letting him go.

The dreaded prophecy was finally spoken, or perhaps only hinted at, the witch's words were so vague Darcy started to question if the woman was a phony after all. He was so certain of his destiny it alluded him how the witch could see anything amusing in what was to come. As if to disprove his doubts, the witch issued his prince a warning that sounded anything but fake and from the other demon's grim reaction it was evident he believed her.  

The knight was on alert at the mere mention of a stranger who stalked them through the forest. Careful not to draw attention to himself, Darcy took inventory of the weapons he had on his person and cursed softly, upset with himself for leaving his sword discarded along with his armor back at the castle. He'd been in a hurry to get out of the uniform and now chances were he'd pay for his lack of diligence by having to fend off an attacker with his bare hands or a flimsy little dagger. The demon wasn't incapable of killing someone unarmed but worried he would be forced to reveal his shadow form to the prince if it became a matter of life or death.

-"If you're sure something is going to happen keep the prince here and I'll comb the forest for this man you saw in your vision." The thought of running free through the woods hunting the man who'd hunted them was enticing, though it didn't cross Darcy's mind that the stranger might match his strength. "Or do you want me to stay by your side?" The knight offered, looking to his master for a final decision. Another played in the game out to hurt the prince should have been a boon but allowing some other killer to finish his work was unacceptable.