I'm getting too old for this

KoBu

You ever walk into your job one day and you can just feel like something is … different?
Like you walk in, you sit down, you're all settled in and ready to take the day on and then your coworker in the next cubicle starts
“Pssst….. Pssst! Hey!”
“ If this is about the cake in the back office, it’s been there for a week and you shouldn’t eat it.” Myles chuckled as he typed away on his keyboard, tucking away a stray stand of auburn hair behind his ear. He needed to get some new hair ties after work. His coworker, Darrius, let out a gasp as he screeched “ There was cake?! RUDE! Why wasn’t I told!? Anyway, no!! Did you see the new guy yet?”
Myles looked up from his computer screen, an eyebrow quirked at Darrius. “ New guy?” His cubicle neighbor came around, eyes already sparkling to gossip. “ Yea! Boss man has been walking him around all the other departments and he’s gonna be working up here in one of the other offices!”
Myles listened, with one hand under his chin. Darrius is the best person to go to for the latest and greatest ( or worst, depending on who was on the receiving end) news around the building. “He’s young too! Probably gonna be the youngest on this side of the office!”
Myles chuckled again, “ And why does this have anything to do with us, besides having another team member for you to gossip with? Don’t go filling the kids head with tall tales and stories by the way. We don’t need you scaring this one off into a new department again!”
Darrius gasped out again, offended “ I was merely preparing her for the worst!! It wasn’t my fault she wasn’t ready to hear the truth!!” Myles rolled his eyes before returning to his own computer screen. Darrius pouted at him for a moment, moving to sass at Myles more before, “ Good Morning team!! I’m here to welcome your newest team member, come on in”
Their boss had walked in, his arm outstretched to someone just past the door…
  • Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

• Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
    Myles Reed, 32, red hair, green eyes (sorry didn't have time to add in color or proper line work )

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yukonwolfspirit

• KoBu

Yukie stood awkwardly waiting outside the room. Having gotten a new tie as a gift from his parents for the promotion so he would look his best on his first day. Sighing softly Yukie stood and fidgeted with it unsure if such a soft yellow was even his color. It would be foolish to lie and say he wasn’t nervous or unsure about everything going forward with his new job. In the last month he had done well working from home in his own corporation out in Japan.

Having done so well in his position they sent him overseas to help out another company to help with clients and to kick start things as a graphic designer team lead so they could increase profit. Truth be told his company boss had to beg him to help and take the position. While Yukie wasn’t fond of the idea the increase in pay had Yukie agreeing to a year of work abroad. This kind of work was different from his usual work writing graphic novels and drawing the artwork to sell. With his old job was doing his own work at home in pajamas instead of a suit and tie. 

Brushing his hair back with his fingers more into a better short  ponytail Yukie  groaned softly his nerves on edge since he knew he would stick out more then others and it wouldn’t be the ties fault. One of the benefits of working from home was that he didn’t get so many stairs for being albino. That and with his feminine frame he enjoyed his solitude and small group of friends back home. It was difficult. Moving so far away from everyone and everything he knew only to be thrown into an office of strangers.

Snapping his red eyes up Yukie looked at the manager before smiling happily forcing his worries to wash away. Walking in Yukie stood confidently beside the boss. “Hello there! My name is Yukie Murikami, I’m twenty one and from a Japanese department that owns the brother company of this one.” Yukie explained with a small chuckle. “I hope you’ll all be patient with me as I learn the ropes here.” Yukie finished before softly bowing to the others with a small soft sigh.

(Yukie)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Myles stared on as the new worker was introduced. Everybody clambered up to go and shake his hands. Darrius was front lining already firing off questions. Myles smirked and quietly went back to typing away at his desk, making dialogue was quite therapeutic. Anytime he was agitated made for some .... Interesting lines and scenarios. The older worker was happily dozing in his own world before a tap on his desk made him pause abruptly, he looked up to see his boss smiling at him. Myles knew that look already. 

"Hey Ruby"

"Please don't call me that in front of new workers.."

The boss chuckled, "Aww no need to be bashful, listen could you let Yukie shadow you for a day or two and give him a tour of the office? You've been here longer then most everybody else." Boss man brags as he turns back to Yukie, "Myles is one of my oldest workers here, practically help me build the place to what it is. You have any questions, just ask him or me. He'll take good care of you!" And with that the boss had left and everyone went back to work or chatting with Yukie. 

After awhile, Myles told them all to sod off and get there strips done, and nudged Yukie's shoulder. 

"Follow me and I'll give you a quick run around and hopefully get some peace and quiet from what is an office full of gossip vultures....." Myles grumbled 

“Mmh seems your well liked from what I heard ruby~” Yukie teased as he chuckled at the boss giving Myles such a strange nickname. “So first question….should I expect hazing and pranks?” Yukie asked curiously having only ever seen offices from tvs and dramas. “Also do we wear suits every day?” Yukie added with a curious raised brow as he took Myles in noticing his long hair. “Also….is hair allowed worn down?” Yukie asked trying not to blush or anything overly suspicious since it was his first day.

Myles felt his eye twitch. "Unless we're close or dating don't call me that." He grumbled with pink staining his ears. 

"Hazing, no, pranks maybe but it's everyone against everyone else. All in good fun and maybe Darrius talking your ear off with office gossip. The man loves a good office drama or story" 

Myles took a turn towards the cafeteria, and headed straight for the pastry basket, handing over a muffin to Yukie "And suits aren't really required. You ain't gotta dress like Gucci but don't wear something with last night's dinner on it. Meetings maybe bust out the good sweatpants." He snickered, remembering very well how he had come into a meeting in his pjays. He'd missed his alarm and came bolting in.

Taking in Myles answers Yukie smirked a little at his new co workers cute pink stained ears.  “Got it any info on people go to Darrius.” Yukie replies making a mental note to hit the man up later for all the information on all his co workers. Looking at the sudden gift of a muffin Yukie held it gently in his hand. “I’m glad I don’t think I could wear this every day. Honestly back home I only got dressed for my managers sake.” Yukie admitted as he thought about going shopping for some casual clothes having only packed suits. 

“I’m guessing office romances are fine then? Seeing how close you and the boss are I’m assuming you two are an item?” Yukie asked curiously as he ignored the sound of his phone going off more curious at Myles answer. “I mean based on his nickname for you you two have to at one point at least be lovers or something.” Yukie added as he set the muffin down not exactly having the stomach to eat it today.

"Not even close buddy. Reed, calls me ruby because of my hair and how much I liked tumbling rocks back in the day." Myles quickly explained. "If you wanna have an office romance, you're a grown adult just don't let it get in the way of work. Office relationships get messy if you don't work with them right. I'd advise going with somebody who doesn't work on your same floor if you really wanna get invested, if your looking to just get down and dirty, anybody on our floor wouldn't be opposed." He states as he takes a bite from his muffin. 

Myles goes to get a little mug of coffee as he walks to the other exit motioning for Yukie to follow him. 

“Mmh I don’t plan on doing any of that. I still have work outside of work when I go home. Honestly I’m here on a contract as added help, still have to keep my work going or my devil of a manager will hunt me down.” Yukie explained as he followed Myles easily clicking his phone to ignore call only to have it ring continuously. “Speaking of devils~“ Yukie grumbled as he clicked his phone completely off in annoyance. “So, do I get an office or am I sharing with someone?” Yukie asked as he followed Myles through the door while making a mental map of where the coffee was. 

“They didn’t tell me much about what I would be doing, well….I didn’t exactly listen.” Yukie explained with a shrug clearly not taking anything serious. “Care to explain the job and all of this crap so if I’m questioned I at least know the basics? Or is that an e-mail thing we get?” Yukie asked Myles as he moved to walk beside him.

Myles walked up a flight if stairs before opening a door leading out to the roof. Leaning against the rail, Myles let down his hair and rubbed at his forehead.  "What's your other job and why keep working it while you're here as extra help? You're not worried about straining yourself? You're young don't forget to enjoy yourself as well." 

The elder worker settled onto the wall, "As far as getting your own office well we all have our own little cubicles but as far as having an actual office space you'd be better off talking to Reed about that. If you want to share a space just do what Darrius does and invade a coworkers space who will listen to your gossip." Another chuckle as he scratches his head, ruffling his hair. 

"And as far as the actual job goes .... Really depends. Some days you'll be writing scenes other days you'll be doing fill ins or other days you helping to design the next big advertisement. Just depends who needs you for what. I'm typically tasked with dialog and dealing with finances for the building."

“Well back home I am an kinda an author/artist combo. I create graphic novels for clients and I have a collection that I also create and send out to the publishers via my agent. I have a manager/agent who keeps track of deadlines so the work can be spread out easier between clients and my own creations you’ll be hearing from him in three hours.” Yukie admitted knowing that purposely ignoring Yu’s calls would drive him mad enough to get on a plane to check on him. “I didn’t expect to have to help out as a department extra overseas.” Yukie explained as he took in the beautiful view frowning at Myles concern over his workload. “I can handle the workload just fine so no worries there. My boss and I agreed it was best to send me since I’m quite fast at what I do and I know various programs.” Yukie mumbled not wanting to think about slipping at his work again like he had back home and having a repeat of last years failed work and issues that he still refused to talk about.

Taking a deep breath Yukie moved away from the railing and stretched before turning and looked at Myles. “So I can invade wherever and whoever I want then?” Yukie teased with a small smirk that could only mean he was plotting shit. “I might have to find a very comfy space I like to relax when working.” Yukie teased as he walked over to Myles nudging him softly as he relaxed alongside Myles giving him barely an inch of space.

" Hmm... Well just keep your own needs in mind then. Nobody here will blame you if you want to take a break now and again. Plenty of people come up here to take a breather when the noise gets to be too much" Myles explains. Of course he'd worry about a new co-worker, especially a younger one. They're always gung ho and too willing to work themselves to the bone. Before they know it the newbies are burnt out, exhausted, and husks sending in resignation letters. Myles did his best to keep the newbies rested and cared for when he first noticed all the hires suddenly quitting from other floors in the building. 

Myles is suddenly jolted when he felt the nudge. He looks to his side and sees Yukie a bit to close for his comfort. ".... You uh..... You wanna back up a smidge kiddo?" He asks hesitantly as he slides in the opposite direction. "If you want to 'invade' anyone, again Darrius is your guy. I'm not exactly the touchy feely type." Myles says this but again his ears give him away. The elder man stands up and starts tying his hair back up, signalling he'll be heading back inside. "As long as you aren't going to cause any major issues and have basic decency towards everyone else, we're all a pretty laid back and chill crew to be around. Oh and if your invited out to drinks tonight make sure everyone calls a cab. I can guarantee nobody will be the designated driver on your first night out." 

“Good to know. Hopefully I’ll see you there” Yukie replied  as he looked away from Myles a little embarrassed such a casual touch had gotten Myles so uncomfortable.  Gathering himself up Yukie went back inside behind Myles. After a few minutes of walking Yukie stopped. “I’m going to go visit others and go grab my bag from the meeting room to start work.” Yukie Explained wanting to take a break from all the visiting and meeting of everyone to actually start on his work. Heading off right after Yukie quietly shut the meeting room door and settled down typing away at his laptop and started looking into color schemes for his first project.

Edited by Yukonwolfspirit

The day went on and everyone was bustling about getting through the work day. 

Myles would knock on Yukie's door now and again to check in on him and let him ask any questions the younger would have. Darrius would pop in and shoot the breeze "Oh my goodness so how was your little private tour?" He asked wiggling his eyebrows at Yukie. "Mr. Grouchy pants didn't scare you off did he?" 

“Oh interesting, like most tours it was interesting.” Yukie replied with a chuckle as he stopped his typing at the next question for a moment. “Please my father had a scarier glare then Mr. grumpy brows.” Yukie teased back as he look at his work and continued to be busy typing away and then checking his tablet to check the colors and design. “If anything it makes me feel more at home.” Yukie admitted with a chuckle as he sent off the designs to Myles who was fondly names grumpy brows on the email name and tags. “Though I hate to admit this project is going home with me. The coloring still doesn’t feel right.” Yukie mumbled more to himself as he sighed and took a moment to stretch. “I could use a drink after today. Know any good bars?” Yukie asked curiously to Darrius.

Darrius smirked. "You tried making a move or flirting didn't ya?" The office gossip made himself quite at home and flopped into an open chair. "Yeaaaaaa Myles just looks like he'll rip your face off. He's mastered resting bitch face like a pro so nobody tries to talk to him but if you're persistent maybe you'll get as lucky as me and you can get away with him letting you talk at him." Darrius snickered at the last part. He looked to Yukie, a fond smile on his face. "I'm glad he makes you feel at home though means his Master plan isn't working at all."

"As far as bars and clubs go there's plenty around the city but we're gonna need to take a nice lil trip to them. How late you wanna be out??" 

“Well it’s not exactly easy working here. Can’t catch a break between departments with their emails and my agent badgering me.” Yukie mumbled as he sighed and sat up more. “Eyebrows glares warms my heart at least he’s not sugarcoating what need to be fixed.” Yukie admitted not liking how others usually beat around the bush to avoid hurt feelings. Thinking for a moment Yukie was unsure about going out instead of staying late to work like always. 

“Honestly with the day I’ve had I could stay out all night if it meant getting a break and something to eat.” Yukie teased as he started packing up his supplies the male having skipped lunch to look over some manuscripts. “I should warn you I’ve never really went out drinking with others from work. Everyone I work with back home sees me as a kid and don’t want to “encourage me to drink” “ Yukie replied with a dry chuckle. “They want me to focus on my career more then the after party after work.” Yukie admitted not bitter at all but well he could understand it he never did go to the office unless needing to turn things in so it wasn’t like he was part of their work environment, in their mind he was more of a decoration. “Honestly I know I’m a lot younger but I mean 21 isn’t really that young in my mind.” Yukie explained as he looked at Darrius glad to at least have someone who enjoyed some casual conversation when it came to work.

"Dawwwww baby's first drinking game!!" Darrius teased. He snickered and clapped Yukie on the back. "Don't worry none! We'll keep an eye out for you!" He stands up, taking Yukie with him and practically skips out the door. 

As Darrius gabs away, chatting about all the best drinks he gets from his favorite bar, they happen to pass by Myles' cubicle. The older worker seemed pretty focused on his computer screen. His tie was gone and the first few buttons of his shirt undone, his hair was sitting down on his shoulders again. He seemed much more relaxed without the regular hustle and bustle of the office. Darrius spots him and pokes in. 

"Hey!! Me and the new kid are heading out for drinks! You're gonna come right?!" Darrius asks excitedly. Myles raises a brow, leans back and spots Yukie, and chuckles with a lazy smirk. "No thanks. You two have fun but don't take your own cars. Call a cab and be safe." Myles states and goes back to his computer. Darrius humphs with a pout. "Cmoooooon Ruby-tudy!!--"

"Don't call me that"

"You've been busting your hump all week! Come have some fucken fun! You've worked from morning till late!" The other argues while Myles just taps away. 

"Yea of course. You know this time of year starts picking up. I'm just taking precautions to keep us from falling on our faces" 

"So what? Going out for one night won't kill you!"

"No but it could leave me with a lovely hangover and possibly be late for the next day. I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore bud."

Darrius groans and turns to Yukie, "Yukie come help me convince this workaholic to come party with us!" 

Edited by KoBu

“Come with us and I’ll make sure everyone leaves you alone all day tomorrow.” Yukie replied as he stood waiting. “And I mean everyone. Not even boss man will bother you.” Yukie added with a smirk as he leaned into the cubicle looking at Myles. “Please” Yukie asked softly wanting to have his first outing. “It won’t be fun without your scowl there Mr. grumpy brows.” Yukie exclaimed with a tiered sigh. “Weren’t you the one telling me not to work myself to death?” Yukie added clearly trying hard to convince Myles to join in on the fun.

Myles and Darrius looked at Yukie with raised brows when he called Myles Mr. grumpy brows. Myles chuckled " cheeky aren't you? And what makes either of you two think this old man can even keep up with you two?"

"uuuhhhh cuz your a bigger party animal then me and you've drank 12 people Yu-Yu's age under the table!"

"Yea and it gave me a massive hangover the next morning..."

Darrius rolled his eyes " But you still managed to come into work the same morning" 

Myles knew he wasn't going to get anywhere. With a defeated sigh he answered, " I'm taking my own ride and I'm ordering soda. Nothing else understand?" Darrius whooped. It was better than nothing! After telling Myles where'd they'd be going, he grabbed his things, saved his work, and started for the parking garage. The other turned to Yukie and winked and giving a quick thumbs up "Good job!" he mouthed out and jogged after Myles. 

“Not all people my age are weaklings when it comes to drinking.” Yukie replied his ears red as he puffed his cheeks out slightly. Grabbing his own bag Yukie followed behind Myles and Darrius. “So, does everyone go out drinking every night?” Yukie asked trying to make small talk as he followed out to Myles car. “I mean back home it’s pretty common after long work days or big projects.” Yukie admitted as he looked at the two feeling so out of place in this moment with his inexperience and youthfulness. 

" Oh good lord honey no! Sure we like to party and let loose, but you gotta treat your body better than that!" Darrius gasped out. "All that alcohol is terrible for your body regardless of your age." Myles chimed in walking ahead, getting his keys ready as they approached the elevator. He rolled his shoulders and cracked his stiff neck. "oh careful Ruby, showing off them shoulders at the bar is gonna get you some lady friends" the gossiper snickers knowing full well Myles would sooner hide under a rock. 

" Hush up!" Myles snipes a little too quickly, red was starting to trail just a little down his cheeks. " My neck is stiff from sitting all day!" 

Darrius nudges Yukie again, wiggling his eyebrows, mouths out 'Watch this' " Awww c'mon now sugar you don't have to lie to me, I enjoy the view!" "Darrius!!" Myles snapped a little louder, face going full red now. He marches immediately into the elevator, " Now hurry up or I'll close the doors on both of you..." 

“Eh. Well I’ve drank at home but I’ve always fallen asleep after a bit due to being so tired from work.” Yukie admitted not really knowing that he was a lightweight since the small drinks he did have had gotten him stupid drunk and well drinking alone he wouldn’t have noticed anyway. Watching Myles stretch out his shoulder only caused Yukie to look away at in slight embarrassment as he caught a new glimpse of grumpy brows. Snickering at the adorable red face Myles had from Darrius’s teasing Yukie followed quickly behind trying to hide his smile. “Take it easy, maybe you should stretch more. If your neck is that stiff at least get a massaging neck pillow.” Yukie offered as he stood closer to Myles before remembering and moving a foot away to give him space.

”how long have you two known each other?” Yukie asked Darrius as he raised a brow on what their relationship was curious to learn more about Myles.

" Oh let me tell you!! My-my is the reason I even got a job here!! He saw me fumbling around the subway one day, selling some of my things, I was desperate and doing anything and everything to make ends meet at the time. I think was what say, 7 years ago??" Darrius blabbed happily. "8 and a half actually." Myles mumbled. Darrius waved him off, " Yea yea so anyway I'm sitting  there miserable as all anything, just about to sell off some of my cds when Myles comes walking up and looking at what I had. He stops the person from buying those cds and asks me what I'm doing right?" 

As they kept chatting, the trio had made it to the car garage, Darrius still chattering away. " So I'm about to go on my whole shpeal about what I'm selling and Myles straight tells me 'Fuck this, grab your things and follow me' and he drags me straight up to Reed, oh that's boss man by the way, and wham bam thank you ma'am I'm working at the office, making good ass money and even got a new apartment!" Darrius brags as he throws his bag into the back of Myles car. 

Myles rolls his eyes, and narrows his eyes at Darrius from over the car's roof, " No need to make it sound like I saved your life you know. You needed a job and we needed people at the time. Wasn't like we didn't have anybody who didn't know how to train you at the time." With that, the elder opened his car door and moved the seat forward and gestures for Yukie to climb in. Their coworker continues, " Oh please!! You had more than enough people on the floor at the time!! You didn't just 'offer me a job'! Learn to accept some apprecation now and again Ruby-tudy!! Anyway, what about you, Yukie? got anybody back home?"

“Ah….well…I did have someone, but it ended badly.” Yukie replied his voice a touch quiet as he climbed into the back seat and sat down. “Honestly it has always kinda been just me. I was found as a kid on the streets no idea who I was or where I came from. I remember suddenly just being picked up one day then next thing I knew I was living with father and mother. They passed five years ago due to an accident….I stayed with Yue for awhile until I finished school and then went to live on my own right after.” Yukie explained with a deep shrug as he looked over his phone scanning through his daily messages from his agent. “They only one that checks on me now a days is Yuen but it’s basically wellness checks and work checkups.” Yukie added as he typed away on his phone. “He’s good at his job,but worries to much he’s kinda like an older brother in a way. We’ve known each other for about five years he’s my fathers biological son and took me in for two years.” Yukie admitted with a small frown. “I think he’s the one that got me signed on as a Childrens author to start out with and then it just kind of grew from there, he’s going to be visiting tomorrow to see where I’m working and where the office is so he knows where to pick up my scripts.” Yukie explained before pushing send and putting his phone away.

Myles shot him a sad look through the rear view mirror. Darrius gave him a pitied look from the front seat as he faced him. " I'm so sorry that all happened to you. The world can be pretty cruel." Myles said trying to provided some form of comfort. 

Darrius tried to offer a weak smile, " For what it's worth, you've proven you're capable of pulling yourself up and worked hard to get where you are now! And it sounds like you've gained an amazing support system now!! Plus your getting to know us now!!" He bragged as he gestured to Myles and himself. " So let's take tonight to celebrate new beginnings!!" He cheered. 

Arriving at the bar, Myles opens the door, letting Yukie out and Darrius goes bolting from the car whooping the whole way. The oldest worker sighs, "A gossip in the office and a party animal when he's let out... " He turns to Yukie, " He's used to this kind of night life but if you start feeling overwhelmed, just come get me and I'll take you home ok? I'll be sitting at the bar." He smiles and pats the top of Yukie's head and starts heading inside. 

The music was LOUD. Plugging his ears, Myles looked around the whole floor and saw Darrius already dancing and having a grand time on the dance floor. once taking note that his coworker was fine, Myles went straight to the bar and ordered a simple rum and coke to sip on till one or both of his younger coworkers were ready to leave.