Bara - do you read it or find it frustrating when it's labeled Yaoi?

Tierra93

I was just wondering if others out there read bara or find it frustrating when it's labelled as Yaoi/BL/shonen-ai?

I guess this would be a women-specific question - if you're a man do you read the BL out there that is targeted to women and what do you think of the labelling?

• Like 4

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ero Gaki

• Arekushisu

• Dark Eden

• SqueezeBabe

I read bara just once, out of curiosity, but I didn't enjoy it, so I didn't read other bara. I simply avoid bara mangas, but I can't say I'm bothered about it being labeled as BL/Yaoi.

I also tried reading some bara. It made me laugh sometimes when seeing how they are drawn. Some stories weren't that bad.

I'm not annoyed if they are labeled as yaoi. Though I see a huge difference between yaoi and bara.

Bara's are entertaining enough ^^ . I decided to take a peek, and tried hot closet, damn!! that was hot!! . I read bara occasionally, just when the boys faces are drawn properly and does not focus on their muscles. I'm not an avid fan of muscle guys (* they scare me.), but it's a little fine if the plot is nice.

I don't find it bothersome... I've read a few bara mangas, and while I didn't enjoy the artwork too much, the stories were good enough to make me bear with all that muscle. But I don't usually read it. If I bump into some of it labeled as yaoi, and then find that it's bara, then well, 1- Story is really good and/or the artwork's not so exagerated, so I keep going; 2- The artwork is really too much and/or the story is really not worth the effort so I leave it where I found it.

That simple :p

I read bara a few times, but when I see how bad they are drawn, I start laughing and I can't focus on actions, I just laugh. yoyo5

I read bara a few times, but I didn't like it, so, I gave up. I always prefer yaoi and shounen ai to bara, but I don't mind if bara is labeled as BL. :D

I don't mind reading it, I've read quite a few good bara manga. But I don't think it would be on my favorite genre list, mainly because of the art. I want bishies xD

• 10 months later...

Yes I do. I have tons of bara manga, which I have built up over the years, but I have spent hours fishing for it on different yaoi sites because it is labelled up as shonen-ai. I do understand why people label it up as that.

I did start a LJ years back, where I started sharing all my bara, it became rather popular and still is even though I have not posted there in ages, because people find it really easy to find tons of bara quick and easy. I was thinking of posting my collection on here, but I don't really think I would get much interest on a yaoi site which is most likely full of females who are not that keen on it lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read some bara but i dont really like the way they are drawn. I am not a fan of muscle guys. I agree that they scare me.

Every once in awhile though i will look at a bara and just read it and other times i laugh at the way they are drawn.

I'm not frustrated by it being labeled yaoi, BL, or even shounen-ai. It doesnt really bother me, though i do prefer BL over bara.

Bara is really entertaining once in a while!~ I really like muscle, but sometimes the thin sticks are just fine too!

If it's yaoi/shounen-ai that's even better! More muscly men = More happiness!

Fufufufu!~

I read it. Not a huge fan of it but it's okay. And I don't mind when it's labeled as yaoi cause I also called it like that when I didn't know that there were a difference. All BL manga to me were yaoi haha

I dont mind it being labeled as yaoi...but would perfer that it be labeled bara.

I have read 2 or 3 bara that I liked but I dont go actively searching for it, the artwork doesnt really speak to me (too much muscle!!) and I dont enjoy the plot/story as much.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like bara that much. There is too much muscle involved for my liking. It does somewhat annoy me when it is labeled as yaoi because they are different genres, but meh. whatever.

Bara is just too much for me since i don't like muscular guy,, but well i don't mind it is labeled as yaoi since the plot would be always between man, nee :)

I love bara and Yaoi both are interchangeable to me as long as story is good and romantic and not violent or shota there is lots around too love them

• 1 month later...

I like both... Though I prefer it when my Bara isn't hairy... but Bara and Yaoi are different in the way that Yaoi is gay boys for girls, and Bara is gay boys for boys... *shrugs* they're all gay...

If the guys are definitely hairy, then it should be labeled Bara... >.>

I read some Bara, although I don't enjoy it as much as my normal dose of more feminine boys and I tend to find Bara more funny then sexy and intriguing. Though Yaoi is meant for women and Bara is more focused for men, I don't mind that Bara is labeled as Yaoi.

• 4 months later...

I don't like bara at all :-( I prefer it when the men are beautifully drawn and sexy, not...like they're depicted in bara. Even when I found one where the story more or less appealed to me, I couldn't motivate myself to read more because it just didn't find it that easy to lean back and fall into that world. Personally, I don't consider bara to be yaoi