Sellsword (Inkompletewish and StainedCrimson)

InkompleteWish

Elias is content to listen and wait to the other working, as well as taking in the sights and sounds of the bustling of others in the area. When the smith he hired comes out, he dips his head in greeting and replies in turn. "Good morning." After the other seems to grab a bit of air, and tells him of the sword's progress, he gives a faint frown and nods in thought. "I see. In that case I will be taking a job and should return around the time the sword is either completed or shortly thereafter." Even if he could afford to stay that long in an inn, for his own peace of mind and safety it would be best if Elias didn't.

Already there have been some looks sent his way by those in the guard and that can only mean that he's either being eyed as a recruit or word of his being in the city has spread. Despite those troubling thoughts Elias accepts the offer to see the sketch and design for the sword he hopes to soon be wielding. The notes make little sense to him but the drawing of the intended end result suits what had been sought. "This should do fine. The true test will be once you've finished it and I handle it for the first time." Elias decides handing the book back.

After a long look at the other, Elias decides to voice his opinion on the previous request that Sam had asked him. "If you are serious about leaving Ironburrow, then begin preparations when not working on my sword. When I come back and pay for my sword I will be leaving again almost immediately. You will have to carry your own things, and if you don't have a horse, then will be walking most of where ever it is we go." Unless with a caravan that will allow the young smith to ride in a wagon, but depending on how quickly Elias leaves then it may be just the two of them.

Shortly after relaying his verdict and terms to the other male, he turns and leaves and within a few hours is leaving the city with a large group. Soon they are exiting out the gates and slowly making their way towards the horizon. Even though he leaves without being cornered this time, in his gut Elias knows that he may have to be prepared to sneak or fight his way out when he returns. That is about the last thought he gives Ironburrow for some time as the roads, while not significantly worse than his last venture, are still bad and seem to show no indication of getting better anytime soon. It is only due the size and amount of guards that bandits and thieves rarely bother them, tough there are several encounters.

It is nearly three weeks before Elias returns, and does so in the very early hours. Just as the gates are opening to the city. Other than taking the time to get his supplies restocked, he doesn't waste much time before going to the smithy. Without any of his previous manners, he goes directly into the shop to look for Sam and his sword.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InkompleteWish

• StainedCrimson

Sam eyed the swordsmen while the other was looking at the book to see if the other would show if he liked it or not. Thankfully the other seemed to be okay with the ideas. With a nod to the others words of having to test the final product first he turned back towards the forge, putting the book back in its place on his belt. The hardest test was usually the practical one anyway to see if the sword will cut right and will hold.

When the other started talking about his request he perked up and he couldn’t believe it, the other will take him along. Internally he had a little party but thankfully he is able to mask some of his emotions. “Amazing. Thank you very much. I will be ready when you return and will see if I can get a horse so we won’t have to travel by foot. I wish you luck on your job and until then.” Sam spoke when the other turned away to head off. He can’t believe it, it’s finally time to leave this place……after finishing the sword that is. So Sam turned back around and headed for the smelting pot. He had a job to do after all.

//It’s almost been three weeks, I guess the job took longer than anticipated.// Sam thought while organizing the storeroom again. His eyes drifted to the sword hung on the wall. Sam was actually pretty proud of it and had tested it already to see if he had to do adjustments. But that’s already been a week ago so now it was just hanging there for its new owner. At least that gave Sam enough time to pack and acquire a horse. He had to ration himself with his smithy tools he could only take the most important since his poor horse shouldn’t beak under the load. Buying it anew would cost a fortune. The forge itself will already put a large dent in his savings but as long as he didn’t have to buy everything he should be fine. Otherwise just clothes, food and water and one or two personal items were packed. His family knew he was going to leave but like always his father and brother just laughed at him, saying he wouldn’t make it out there anyway and come crawling back. Thankfully his mother and sister were supportive even if they were sad to see him go.

His father’s voice could be heard across the whole store “Greetings sir. What can I do for you?”. Apparently a new customer. Oh well, back to doing inventory.

Elias looks at the owner and head of the smithy. "Ah, greetings again. I am here to look at my sword and pay for it. Would Sam be here?" Well aware he's past the time of when the apprentice smith gave for the piece, the other may have either decided to get rid of it or sell it to someone else. It would even be possible that the smith decided to keep it and had left without waiting for him to return. I hope he wouldn't be as so rash and foolish as that considering all the tales he's had to have heard.

After he gets shown to where Sam is, Elias gives a slight bow of his head in apology. "I'm sorry for my late return. Things have... gotten worse faster than expected." His tone is grim as he gives a sigh. "If you are still interested in leaving, then it wouldn't do to put off leaving for much longer. I plan on leaving either tonight or first thing in the morning." Job or not. "However, I don't want you to feel as though you have to leave with me. Nor would I blame you if you chose to stay behind. I'm sure rumors and stories have only grown over the last few weeks."

If the tall swordsman is being honest, he is most likely going to leave without finding people looking for a swordsman. At this point it would be faster and safer to travel alone or with fewer people. Not too mention that more and more people are starting to avoid traveling or only leave when there's a large group to make it safer.

Shaking his head slightly to bring himself back to the present, he refocuses on Sam. "Though I'm sure you don't want to hear me going on about that right now. I hope I'm not too late to pick up my sword?" He asks while glancing around.

• 2 weeks later...

Ogren eyed the swordsmen. The other seemed familiar and when he actually said why he has visited the shop he remembered. It was the man that ordered that sword to be made, Samuel’s. Having remembered where he had seen the offer he released a low grunt and answered the question “Yes, Samuel is in the back. Follow me and be careful we weren’t able to tidy up so there might be some sharp bits and bops laying around.” and turned around to lead the other to the back where his youngest son was doing the job he ordered him to do. “Samuel, your customer is here.” the smith just grunted to his son and turned around to head to his own work station.

With a start Sam turned around, not having expected today to be the day the other returned. “OH! It is good to see you back. I was starting to worry. Oh well, there has been some stories yes but my decision is set. I will leave and if you have to go immediately that is fine. I have packed and everything has been ready for around a week now.” he said with a small grin, trying to ignore the others grim mood. He was just happy that the other did return and hasn’t changed his mind about taking the smith with him. The stories and rumors did multiply though and a bit of worry was there but he will have to leave now else he can never do so if a war really starts.

Sam turned around to hurry to the sword he hung up. All his things were packed and they only had to get it but first things first, the sword. With a careful grip he turned around to the other. “You are not; you ordered the sword so you will receive it. I hope it’s to your satisfaction.” Sam said and offered the sword to the swordsmen.

After the other took it he made his way towards the open area of the shop where a small training dummy was standing. “You can go ahead and try it if you will like. I will quickly ready my horse and will be back in a few minutes. We can meet at the counter in a bit so we can do the payment for it.” the young man said and pointed at the dummy before leaving through a door into the main house to get his things while the other is busy testing.

Hearing the other's resolve to still leave Ironburrow, he gives a nod and is relieved that Sam is ready to go so swiftly. "We will not need to leave immediately, but it would be good for you to join me at the inn so that we can leave first thing in the morning. It would do well for us to eat and rest well tonight as there are no guarantees once we are beyond the safety of these walls." The words are said more to himself as if trying to convince himself that staying the night is a smart move despite the itch between his shoulders.

When handed his sword, the swordman's face seems to light up and make him appear as young as he truly is, a man not even thirty years of age yet. Barely registering the next words out of the smith's mouth, he nods and goes to try out his new sword. Unsheathing the blade Elias studies the finished product, looking for any flaws in the metal before giving a few practice swings through the air. Turning, he suddenly slashes at the dummy and soon has added several marks which would be deadly to anything living.

For the first time in months the weight of reality seems to lift as Elias re-sheaths his new blade. It will take some time to fully adjust to wielding it, but it is just as I had hoped. Buckling the sword to his side, the swordsman goes inside with a small smile to pay. Unbeknowst to him, someone has run off after spotting his horse and catching a glimpse of the unique black armor within the smithy.

Stopping at the counter Elias gives a small nod of his head. "I won't be certain until using it against someone, but the feel and weight of it is excellent. I have high expectations of this blade." After paying he tilts his head outside. "I'll wait for you out there. It wouldn't do to have a repeat of my first visit." He says simply before turning and going to wait by his horse. Once Sam joins him, he mounts up and leads the way back to the same inn he had stayed before. "You can stay in my room tonight and we'll leave at first light." He comments while they stable the horses and head inside.

Come morning, just as they're about to reach the gates, a figure on a steed breathing plumes of steam in the early light blocks their way. Eyes narrowing, Elias curses under his breath as the figure calls out to him. "Elias, it has been a long time." The man is older, but still fit and in his prime. He is also wearing the distinct armor of the special guard of Ironburrow.

• Saga locked this topic