When in Rome… [LoneDigger&Hideki](Private)

-Hideki-

•▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஐ۩ ⚣ ۩ஐ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬•

Julius Avitus

Narcissus.full.69952.jpg

Height: 1,74m

Hair colour: blond

Eye colour: blue

Sexual orientation: homosexual

Marcus Hirtius

inside_sousuke_by_suyohara-d9tfpov.jpg

Height: 1,86m

Hair colour: brown

Eye colour: blue

Sexual orientation: homosexual

Julius & Marcus Biography

Julius had been born oldest child to a noble mother and father. His mother was considered one of the most beautiful ladies in the capital and his father was a senator. He had a two years younger sister.

The boy had always been his mother’s sunshine and as such he was spoilt and the centre of her undivided attention even when she had to take care of his baby sister also. But when he reached the age of five a sudden change in his life happened when his mother took in the son of her best friend who died giving birth to Marcus younger sibling who also died soon after. Being six years old without a family Julius mother gave her attention to Marcus too, even more so than to Julius at the start and it angered the young boy who thought he deserved that everything circled around him. Hence he wasn’t fond of Marcus and tried to get rid of him. The new lad in the house however was not only bigger and stronger than him; he also saw right through it and treated the spoilt brat’s attempts of sabotaging and getting rid of him as a game. And while it frustrated Julius at first he started to like the game they played and got to the realisation that he would miss the other boy when he would actually succeed getting rid of him.

Even though they never saw each other as brothers they got incredibly close friends and ended up doing nearly everything together, whether it was studying, spending their time, celebrating or mocking Julius little sister. One was where the other was to a degree that it started to annoy people.

Their relationship got even weirder when they hit puberty and figured that they found each other sexually attractive and started to have sex with each other, without ever wanting to describe each other as a couple. But though they didn’t see themselves like this they got jealous whenever one of them had a romance going with someone else and at one point they started pursuing sex and romance as a double only considering guys they both liked and were often guests at or hosts of excessive feasts.

As much as they loved celebrating and spending their time with each other their ways were leading into different directions. Julius was getting into politics like his father and at first Marcus was part of the house guard what granted them to be around each other constantly but it wasn’t enough for the young man anymore so he one day joined the legions and soon raised up in rank becoming a Centurion what decreased the time they were seeing each other drastically and even meant that they were completely apart for long periods of time and left Julius without a personal guard too.

While Julius is a really soft spoken, playful and even childish man on the outside, he has a really dominant core, while Marcus is rough, grumpy and hard on the outside but a really devoted and gentle man on the inside.

•▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஐ۩ ⚣ ۩ஐ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬•

It was a bright summer morning and from the green hill they were able to see the skyline and the gates of the city. From afar it looked idyllic, even quite and they weren’t able to see the liveliness and the hectic everyday life in the capital of the empire, the centre and heart of the world. He only noted it subconsciously as he was standing behind a huge tree doing his business before their break would end. The brunette muscular centurion who was pissing against an oak tree didn’t know how to think about getting home after two years of foreign assignment. Sure he had news of great success but he knew that everyone else’s life in the city had continued and he had not been there and didn’t know what had happened during this time. Staring ahead he let it flow when he suddenly heard a voice from behind that startled him enough to nearly make him jump. “Centurion! A letter for you! Looks important!” the guy said and Marcus couldn’t believe the timing and that the bloke actually bothered him with a letter while he was taking a leak.

The buff man didn’t say a word and didn’t move his head until he had finished. With a displeased and grumpy expression that led the legionary to flinch away from him he roughly pulled the letter out of his hand, feeling concern rise as the other said it had looked important and it couldn’t mean well if they were getting an important letter when they were that close to home already and would actually arrive in a few hours. When his dark blue gaze fell onto a fine and gracious handwriting he knew way too well the concern was wiped away. It was Julius! What meant it probably wasn’t important at all. That spoilt man-child just made his letters look like they were containing the most important message that could change history while they actually were just personal letter’s often containing trivial information about the man’s life or complete smut, sometimes he got a combination of the two as well. Marcus had told him in one of his letters that he should stop making them look official but the other male apparently didn’t care.

Rolling his eyes he opened the seal and unfolded the letter, fighting with it because the wind was blowing it into his face, before he started to read it.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My Dearest Marcus!

I know this is the second letter that I am sending to you in a really short period of time but I had quite the night last night and I really can’t wait to tell you about it.

It was one of those nights where nothing much happened – and you know how easily I get bored – so I decided to go out and observe the peasants a little again, as I sometimes do. I know you and mum and Dominica have always told me not to because it was dangerous for the influential to be out in their districts and that there were people who hated us and all of that had sounded just like a bunch of gibberish as nothing had ever happened to me before, nothing could have ever happened to me before because you were my guardsman.

So this time I was going into the same tavern I have been to before together with you and though it would have definitely been more fun with you by my side, I had a great time. Their way is that raw and unpolished, rather gross actually but fascinating at the same time. But then, I was about to finish my last drink and head home again, someone indeed recognised me and apparently you guys were right, there are citizens who hate me, I think they shouldn’t get away with hating me but that is another subject. The man was drunk, he was dirty, he stank and he was aggressive and he attacked me. I tried my best to fight him off, like you have shown me when we were kids but this brute was stronger and when he choked me I thought that was my last stroll through the night into the other world. When this man appeared!

He looked so incredibly strong, much like how strong you look – or looked I haven’t seen you for so long anymore – and while I thought that he wanted to join in with that guy he saved me from the attacker. And when I looked up into his eyes I felt it spark. What a handsome man. Ugly peasant clothing, looking like some village farmer, really unsophisticated but he could make me hard. The man turned around and wanted to leave but I wouldn’t let someone like this slip through my hands. I obviously lacked a personal guard – because you left me to be honourable and join the legions and become a centurion – and he was just made for this position.

I hired him. Wait until you see him, you will like him just as much as I do, I promise you this. He is perfect for us and I am looking forward to introduce him to you and that’s not the only thing I am looking forward to.

I heard that you will arrive back at home soon and I am counting the days. I am waiting for you and I have planned a huge feast in your honour and I have some surprises as well.

Longingly, your beloved

Julius

( `)

/ /

/ /

/ /

(_)_)

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Marcus’s eyes were hooked on the small picture of a dick that Julius had drawn onto the letter. The whole letter was way too personal again. If anyone else had read that, it would have been incredibly inappropriate. But somehow he couldn’t avert his eyes from that stupid drawn cock before the voice of the legionary who apparently was still standing right behind him threw him out of it with his questions. “What does it say? Is there any change of plans? Bad news? Good news?” he wanted to know and without thinking it spouted out of the tall brunette:”It’s a dick!” The legionary looked at the centurion completely confused and when Marcus realised what he had just said out loud there a small blush appeared on his face as he pressed his fingers onto the bridge of his nose. “I meant it’s only an unimportant personal letter from Julius Avitus. It’s full of nonsense, nothing that actually matters.” He explained then.

The centurion could hear his legionary sigh relieved and the man apparently didn’t care about the letter anymore and just informed him that he was looking forward to seeing his wife and kids again and had been worried that the letter might have contained something that would have kept him from that. Marcus was left alone by the tree then and he felt how his hand was clenching into a fist around that bloody letter that had brought him into an embarrassing situation. And he cursed Julius’s childishness. But when his gaze fell onto the city that was to see on the horizon he now only felt the urge to get there as soon as possible, no mixed feelings anymore. He wanted to get back there and see what was going on. He wanted to see that peasant whom Julius had hired as his guardsman as he couldn’t believe that he would find that guy appealing at all, Julius had probably just over exaggerated how great the bloke looked. And he didn’t like that anyone else was the other’s personal guard now on top of that.

However he had no reason and no right to be against this. Julius and he weren’t a couple, they weren’t in a relationship, what were they even? Nothing! Nothing other than best friends and it had been a long time. Marcus had no illusion that the other had sat there and waited for him to return for two years just as he had not waited to return though neither one of them had ever mentioned any of their affairs with someone else. It appeared that this letter had not been written long ago and apparently Julius who was interested to seduce his new guardsman hoped that Marcus who he had known was about to return would be attracted to him and wanted to seduce him too. But what was he thinking? It wasn’t seducing some guy at a feast or participating in an orgy together. This guy would be as close as one could get to Julius due to being the personal guard of his. It was all fun and well that he was hitting on him and hoped that Marcus would want something from the guy too but wouldn’t there be too much closeness? He was sceptical but what he had to do first to evaluate the situation properly was to get home, back to where he belonged.

It was hectic in the villa of the Avitus family, the slaves were rushing around trying to get everything ready for the feast that would take place starting in the evening until the other morning. There was a lot to do and they knew that it was expected to be perfect, that no mistake could happen to any of them if they didn’t want to get into serious trouble. The only one to be seen strolling through the halls and floors deeply relaxed was Julius Avitus, the son of the mistress and the master of the house. Every servant was making sure to greet him and Julius nodded into their direction with a friendly but at the same time lofty smile on his thin lips. The lean man with the golden hair was on his way to the garden. And he could already smell the flowers carried by the light breeze the closer he got to the archway that led outside.

When he walked through it he could already see his tailor making the last changes on the clothing he had taken the measurements of the newest face in the villa for a while ago. The older man was so focussed on his job that he had not heard nor seen Julius arrive who was not stopping there but was approaching his new guardsman he had coincidentally found in the tavern. His lady mother had been outraged when she had figured out where he had gotten the man from and that he had against everyone’s advice gone to that place again and this time on his own. His sister Dominica had been just as overly dramatic but she had also said that they owed the man who had saved her brother something and not only that, she had hit on him too, what Julius had not appreciated at all and had disapproved of, she had also spoken in favour of hiring him and had managed to convince their mother to hire someone who was not a professional warrior and fighter but apparently some farmer’s son coming from some far away village that was so unimportant that not even Julius who was involved in administration and politics had ever heard of the place before.

The relatively short noble man came to a halt when he was already next to his saviour and the light blue eyes were running over him, from the hair to the feet. He laid a few fingers onto his chin when he looked up into the man’s eyes. “Look at you? It’s so much better than what you’ve worn before. You look marvellous!” he rejoiced and the tailor jumped back and fell down on his arse as he had been taken off guard and had been startled completely by the sudden voice. Julius covered his mouth with his hands as he couldn’t keep himself from chuckling looking at the nearly bold tailor who was holding his heart, sitting on the marble ground now. “My my Antonius what are you doing!” the noble’s voice rang in an amused tone as he was reaching out his hand to the tailor and pulled the old man up.

“What am I doing?” he asked. “Shocking an old man like this! You could have been the death of me.” He scolded and took a moment to collect himself again.

Julius laid his head to the side a little, making a step back to get an even better view of the man who was getting new clothing. “I must say you have done an incredibly job, as always Antonius!” he complemented the old tailor who nodded and was getting right back to it, when the blond bugged him again by stepping right next to him to get closer to the guardsman. “You look good. Now that you aren’t dressed like a peasant anymore and look like someone of the house Avitus, it is finally possible to see just how handsome you truly are.” The blond said and ran two fingers over the physically strong and solid male’s cheek, looking him deep into his eyes with those ocean blue one’s of his before Antonius voice sounded again. “Enough now you are in the way here and if he ends up with a needle in his leg it’s your fault. Go and sit down over there, you can stare from that seat just as well, or go do something useful.” The man who was making the clothing for the family since decades and had already known Julius when he had been a kid said. The blond sighed but he didn’t argue. He casually let his hand run over the guard’s chest as if he had done it accidentally before he went over to the nice chair next to the small table that were placed in front of the pond as he looked at the other, smiling and winking at him.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -Hideki-

• LoneDigger

When in Rome... Do as the Romans do.

Nero couldn't remember where he had heard that saying, but he was going to cling onto every single word now that he was literally a fish out of water in non other than the city of Rome itself.

Image him, just farm boy from a nothing town to visiting the city purely by mistake. Then being fucking wise enough to go to some tavern and happen to save the son of some big shot.

Now he had a real purpose, a man to serve and protect. It really wasn't a bad gig at all, he provides his loyalty and strength, and he gets to stay within the comforts of the city and be provided his daily meals, clothing, all those kind of benefits.

It may not have sounded like much to anyone else, but coming from a poor farmer's village to this place, having three square meals a day was like dying and going straight to heaven.

But knowing Nero he'd sooner be stuck in purgatory or rot in hell as opposed to that lofty place of angels...

Getting off topic there, back to the matter at hand... who knew getting the proper clothing would take so damn long?!

It felt like he had been stuck just standing perfectly still for hours while the tailors fussed over the seams and details, trying to fit his body shape properly.

He was very fit and muscular, maybe just a bit on the skinny side though. But that soon would be fixed with regular food supply. Back at home with all those siblings sometimes even just getting one slice of bread was like something out of Lord of the Flies... all for a mere slice of stale bread. What a life...

But the blond guy... he wasn't so bad looking at all. Quite handsome actually. He wasn't used to seeing people who were so... soft and well groomed looking. Again given the obvious coming from peasant life.

He found himself intrigued with Julius from the moment he saw the very out of place looking male that night when he rescued him.

Even more so now that he was getting to be up close and personal with him... His hazel eyes darted down to the hand that playing across his chest, and he fought the urge to be a cocky bastard by flexing against his hand, but he didn't want to piss off the tailor any worse than already done so he stood up straight and still like a good solider.

"Hmmph... I just have to stand here and behave myself for a few more minutes?"

He couldn't help but grin softly back at the other male, he really was getting tired of standing around but didn't want to appear impatient or ungrateful to Julius and all his family was already providing to him.

His lips curled up in a smile when he heard Nero speak. Regardless of the farmer trying to hide it from him, it was obvious that he was rather impatient in this situation what made it apparent that it probably was the first time for the hazel eyed male to get such nice clothing with so much detail and made out of luxurious fabrics. For a moment he asked himself whether someone who came from such a place like the other would appreciate how he would look dressed in this and if he would deem the time in which he had to stand still on one place worth it in the end. It was a little amusing to look at the strong man whose broad shoulders reminded him of Marcus somewhat, though the man was a little thinner than his best friend, being tired of standing there and needing to pull himself together. This reminded him of when he had been a child. Back then Julius had been impatient too but since he had been a child he had just not stood still what had led to Antonius struggling with the boy cursing and saying that he wished he was more like his sister. Dominica had never had a problem with standing still. She had been almost doll like when she had stood there getting new clothing.

The blond placed his ankle onto the knee of his other leg as he looked at his new guard. “Have some more patience.” He suggested. “Everything astonishing and great takes its time. Our glorious city wasn’t built in a day either.” The noble spoke with a soft smile on his lips and glistering blue eyes. “Sometimes to achieve something great and better one has to suffer but it will be worth it in the end.” Julius told him leaning back in the chair looking at the two of them while Antonius was doing the last stitches, before he put back the needles and went over to straighten, pick and pull on the clothing so that they were in place and fitting Nero perfectly. The old man brushed over the fabric one last time before he went in circles around the other to make sure that everything was as he had imagined it and that he had made no mistake or overlooked something that had to be corrected. After a short amount of time and the brown eyes of the nearly bald tailor studying his work critically his voice was finally to hear again. “It’s perfect. We’re done.” He said and whipped away some sweat from his forehead with his arm, to go over to his stuff to pack it and leave before Dominica would get the idea of joining them outside because she would annoy the man with the new dress she had ordered from him.

“You’ve done an extraordinary job, as always.” Julius said, standing up walking past the tailor patting his back. “Thank you.” The tailor said quickly. The blond however had already walked past him and was approaching the new guardsman, taking some of the fabric into his hand. “You look great. As if you have never worn anything else. A lot different from before! I think that you should see yourself like this. See what you have stood still for that long.” The blond said smiling up at him, before he gesticulated Nero to follow along, guiding him through the floors and halls until they reached a room with a full body mirror. He shoved the larger man in front of it, standing incredibly close behind him, his hand roaming down from the other’s shoulder over his chest from behind.

“What do you say now?” he asked, wanting to hear if the man was just as impressed by how he looked now as Julius was. “No one will ever guess that you have been a peasant from some village tonight at the feast.” His melodic voice said happily. “And I am certain that Marcus will be just as delighted about you as I am.” Julius said but it was more so a wish of his than a prognosis. He couldn’t possible know whether Marcus would be attracted to Nero as much as he was, whether he would find him as interesting, he just hoped he would. The noble man had missed Marcus a lot and he couldn’t wait to see him again and to hold him again as well as he desired Nero and wanted them to desire the handsome guard together.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Biography: Nero Laceria, age 22, was born the middle son in a rather large group in a small farming village out in the Roman country side. Life is hard, the work even harder. Things only take a turn for the worse when a freak weather event brings a long drought. Food and water gets scarcer and scarcer until his fate is either slowly die with the rest of his family or actually do something about it. He hears rumors of there being more opportunities in the great city of Rome. What does he have to loose? So he takes the last of their surviving horses, a white mare named Cloud, and journeys to Rome. There he finds life isn't quite what he expected. Since everyone else in every small town shithole has come to the city with the same idea of finding work, it's become nearly impossible to find a job that hasn't already been claimed.

Feeling a bit defeated and exhausted from the whole ordeal, he goes to a tavern to just give up. He can't go back to his family a failure, he promised to send them back more than half of his pay. And now he has nothing to show for.

But when the son of Senator finds himself in trouble -even if Nero had no idea this was who the other was at the time- he knows he should just mind his own business and not get himself into any deeper problems, but something about it he just can't stand by and watch. He's always had a strong sense of justice, despite growing up in a place where justice is rarely ever served. Life is Rome is cruel and unfair, unless you are one of the wealthy or influential. So what can a peasant expect? Well, Nero got more than he bargained for saving the very son of the Aviticus family. But also he earns a chance to prove himself and for once make something out of his life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah... how many times had he heard that one before?

Be more patient, Nero!

Great things come with time... a tiny seed doesn't grow into a tree quickly you know.

You still have a lot of growing to do yourself, young man.

But you will... maybe into something great.

Hah! As if! How could someone like me, a peasant that no one even knows exists, be anything more?

Nero could recall that particular conversation as clear as day. He never thought he'd have to remember his past, but now that he had left it behind him it ironically seemed to be catching up with him faster than when he had lived back there on his farm with the family.

It was like his old self was never going to let him forget, that even if they dressed him up in fancy clothing and feed him the best foods, it didn't change his humble origins.

He wished to forget them, but maybe he was meant to remember it all for a reason. To remember his purpose of coming here was to care for his family. As they had cared for him when he was young. They all took care of each other.

Then Julius mentioned suffering and Nero couldn't even help but let out a scoff.

They called this suffering? Standing around having to wait may have been something he was not used to doing, but never dare to call this suffering when he had seen people die from overexposure, exhaustion, starvation, disease...

But instead of disagreeing with the other male he simply nodded his head.

Finally when the tailor had finished his work Nero was able to let out a soft sigh, without even realizing it he had sort of been holding in his breath this whole time, as if even breathing would cause him to move around too much and the tailor would make a mistake.

He wasted no time at all in following after Julius, grateful to stretch his legs after standing still for so long.

But again he was left breathless at the sight he saw reflected in the mirror...

Looking back at him was a real man, a man who looked professional and respectable, and not to mention handsome.

This man reflected in here... it couldn't be him, could it? But when he blinked his hazel golden eyes and reached out to touch his fingertip to the glass the man on the other side did the same thing.

Nero smiled quietly, unable to even speak. That's how happy he was.

The only thing that brought him out of his trace was feeling the other's hands on his chest and he turned to Julius with a smile.

"Thank you."

It was all he could manage, but in that simple 'thank you' was a million words of praise and gratitude.

Only to be snapped out of it again when the other mentioned the previous guard.

"Ah, yes... you have mentioned him before. What is he like?"

Nero sounded inquisitive, he wanted to learn everything he could about this place, about the people who called it home.

The scoff of the other male didn’t escape Julius light-blue eyes as he observed the brunette. It seemed like he had taken a general statement that had just been meant to translate to this situation vaguely too literally. The noble man of course knew that to stand still was not to suffer it was just an uncomfortable and boring thing to do, hence the principle still applied to this too. He had expected protest when he had witnessed that reaction but it never happened. Nero did not object to his statement and just endured the procedure with a nod into the blond man’s direction.

After the tailor had finally been done and the blond had attempted to lead the new guardsman to a mirror he got the feeling that the other actually followed him quite eagerly he just wasn’t sure whether he was merely glad to move around again or actually excited to get to see how he looked like now. It didn’t matter though as what followed when the golden eyes of Nero saw himself in the mirror for the first time was definitely showing that it didn’t leave the other man cold, quite the opposite. It was quite adorable actually to see this manly, handsome looking man not trusting his own vision and being speechless for a moment, even moving his hand to see if the figure in the mirror did the same thing. Julius couldn’t suppress a laugh when he saw this. “It’s definitely you.” He assured the young male from the village, laying his head onto the strong shoulder of the other looking up to him while touching Nero’s cheek with his nose and his face with his own face, feeling the stubble on the guard’s jaw.

When the man turned his face to him beaming at him expressing his gratitude Julius’s and Nero’s lips nearly meat because the noble had not left any space between them anymore. “You don’t have to thank me for this.” The blond gently spoke. “I am glad that you are that thrilled about your new look though. You almost seem to shine and that makes you even more handsome than you already are.” The man from house Avitus said smiling, looking over the other closely biting his bottom lip. If it had not been for the feast and that Marcus would already arrive today he would have tried to get the other out of those clothes and into his pants This way though he brought up some discipline – other than Marcus Julius didn’t have too much of that – and decided to not go any further right now. It would probably be easier to seduce Nero during the feast anyway, especially if he had never been to one of those kinds of feasts that he had planned before. It wasn’t anything formal, it wasn’t a normal gathering either, it had its special thrills. “Have you ever been to any feast before?” he asked a general question now, getting back some normal distance between them.

As surprised expression was to see on the pale face of the noble man when his new guard showed an interest in Marcus and wanted to know how he was like. The question made the blond man remember Marcus face, his blue eyes, his shoulders, his muscle, his body, them fooling around, how Marcus rolled his eyes or frowned whenever he did something stupid, the deep bass voice, his grumpiness and strict attitude he displayed to the outside and that soft spot the man had. How cute he got when Julius pressed the right buttons and then there was the man’s touch and feeling the other’s body. Heck he missed him. He missed him too much. Missed spending his days with him, laughing with him, drinking with him and he missed him in his bed as well. He forced himself out of his thoughts and looked at the man before him again. “He appears rather grumpy and strict. Takes things rather seriously, has a lot of discipline, acts calmly and reserved but he is the most loyal and protective man I have ever known. We grew up together. My mum took him in after he had lost his mother. She died while his father had just run away when his mother had been pregnant with his younger sibling that died at birth. Rumours have it that he now lives in Egypt.” He spoke tipping against his cheek with his index finger. “Anyhow, you will get to know Marcus yourself and I am sure that you’ll like him.”

The attention he was receiving from the noble was almost too much. No one in his community acted like that, or sang him praise. Everyone was tight knit, sure.... But there was simply no time for flirting or chatter. Everything was strictly business. There was simply too much to be done on a farm, and never enough hours in a day, or hands to help for that matter.

He didn't know what the other man saw in him that was so great, but he was grateful that fate had him standing here now. Finally his chance to bring some justice to his family, or at least put food in their bellies again for a start. Times were hard and only getting harder.

Nero was able to shake his head no, but seeing as Julius was right against his face he didn't dare to move a muscle.

He had no idea how the other would react if they were to accidentally kiss right here, so he opened his mouth to speak.

"No, I've never been to one before."

Hah, who did Julius think he was talking too? A peasant farmer having attended any sort of feast? Unlikely, considering some days they didn't even have food on the table.

When the other spoke of Marcus's past, Nero couldn't help but wonder... did the Avitcus family have a thing for taking in charity cases and turning them into guards? Perhaps so, either way. Nero was just glad to be here now.

"... You... you don't suppose he will be jealous?"

That was another fact that Nero had caught, was how the noble described how close he and his old guard were. He could also see in the other's eyes, and his body language. How much he adored him, and he was sure the feeling was mutual.

How would Marcus react now that there was a new man standing in his place by Julius's side?

He smiled empathetically when the other stated that he had never attended any kind of celebration or feast. The life he must come from really had to be tough and completely without any joy or fun or happiness. Who would want such a life? Julius would probably have run away to the city long ago if he had been Nero as he didn’t think he could have beard such dreariness. “Then this will be your first feast.” He noted and the smile grew lighter again. “I am sure that you will enjoy yourself and more than just certain that you won’t ever forget this night.” The blond assured the other with a quick wink.

“Jealous?” he repeated the other’s question that had caught him off guard. “Why would he be jealous? We are not a couple and he was the one who decided to rather join the legions and become a centurion.” The blond stated unintentionally making it clear that he had wanted the man to stay. Though he would have liked to tell the other what if not a couple they actually were he couldn’t really or at least not properly because he had no idea himself. What were they? Their relationship was indefinable and weird. But he couldn’t just say to the other that they were complete weirdos. Well he could but it would probably draw the other away. “We just did everything together you know.” He informed the man trying to explain it. “It hilarious because at the beginning I didn’t even like him and wanted that he disappeared again. I didn’t care if that had meant for Marcus having to move to some faraway colony where his uncle was the governor. His family had actually been incredibly influential; maybe he would be more influential now if he had went to his uncle after all. But I couldn’t get rid of him because my mum had been his mother’s best friend and she felt some sense of responsibility towards her best friend’s child. However I grew to like him and he became my best friend and nowadays I am thankful that I didn’t succeed and he had not been sent to his uncle.” Julius explained though he was aware that best friends didn’t hook up with each other and together as a duo with other people. “So, no need to worry at all! He won’t be jealous, he’ll love you! He better will!” the blond stated laughingly not actually capable of knowing whether Marcus would or would not feel jealousy. It wasn’t like the two of them had not felt jealous before.

"I suppose you think where I am from must be pretty boring... and I can't say you are wrong. I probably wouldn't even know what having fun was if it hit me in the face."

Nero confessed with a small grin, only contradicting his point. Surely if a man could smile like that meant he had some sense of humor, and to have that you needed to be just a little bit fun, right?

“Indeed, and I am looking forward to it.”

The brunette added with another smile. It would be interesting after all.

Life had changed so much so quickly, but he was nothing but eager to learn everything there was about his new life and responsibilities to Julius and his family. To Rome itself even.

“Oh, I don’t know… you just make it sound like you two were so very close together it would be any wonder how he couldn’t even be the smallest bit… envious.”

He was the new guy taking the older man’s place. Surely that wouldn’t be the ideal situation for anyone to be dealing with. Nero could only hope that Julius was right and that the three of them would get along just fine… But more than just fine even? He could only dream.

Julius looked at the other with a raised eyebrow listening attentively what the man had to say. The blond shook his head, his golden hair falling into his face a little. “No.” he disagreed. “I certainly think that the place you come from must be harsh and drear but I definitely don’t think that you have no sense of fun and happiness within you. I actually think that you have just never had the opportunity for exuberance, cheerfulness and just enjoying yourself and that given the right circumstances you will gradually find and reveal more of your individual personality and humour.” Julius presumed. Though Nero had immediately sparked his interest the noble had also seen right away that he was acting tight nit and tense, that he didn’t grant himself to relax, to let himself go and it made the man with the blue eyes all the more ambitious to seduce and tempt him with all the charms and pleasures of life.

“We are incredibly close, that’s why I made it sound like it!” He nodded with a smile at the brunette’s words looking into Nero’s golden eyes. The other part of the statement made him think though and he was tipping against his jaw with his index finger. “It would be illogical of him to envy you for a position and a place that he willingly gave up for something he wanted more than this.” The blond man concluded and it would, there was a large ‘but’ though. “On the other hand feelings such as jealousy aren’t often born from logic and rationality to begin with.” The male said. “If I think about it you definitely had a reason to assume this. But though I can’t promise it I think that you will manage to catch his positive attention.”Julius stated and then turned around. “And now I should go and check on the preparations. I shouldn’t have to do this but it wouldn’t be the first time that one of those slaves messes up. For every good and useful slave you get one who is completely incompetent.” He found and waved Nero to come along with him.

"Is it true then that the nobility lives like kings every single day?"

Nero had always heard rumors that those at the top of the social ladder lived a life of complete luxury, but also taboo. Such as being overly frivolous with money and food, and even being completely promiscuous.

Either way, you couldn't help but think that sounded like the good life. No a care in the world and free to live pleasurably.

The man shifted slightly, sensing they were about to start walking again and just like that Julius was gesturing for him to follow along.

"If there's anything more that needs to be done please allow me to help."

He didn't think it was polite at all to make the other have to fix up after someone else's mistake. And well, he didn't mind doing a bit work. In fact that was what he was used to.

Nero wanted to show the other man that he was not lazy, and never would be. His job was to serve him, along with being a loyal guard. It only seemed the natural thing to do, was to at least offer his assistance.

Julius turned his head to the other while they were walking through the halls of the villa. It was an odd question the other asked there if all nobles lived like kings every day. “Like kings?” he asked. “I would say only kings live like kings.” The noble answered. “In Rome this would be our glorious imperator but he is more than just a mere king.” He told the farmer. “We nobles however keep our lives at a certain standard.”

A warm smile appeared on the man’s face when Nero offered him to assist and correct the mess if a slave had made one but Julius shook his head. “No. This is not your task, it is the slave’s tasks and we will just control and make sure that everything goes perfectly and if someone messed up we will point it out and make them redo it properly while watching that they’d do it correctly this time.” He explained. “You, handsome, are my personal guardsman. And my guardsman doesn’t do the work of a slave. You are too high in rank to do such work.” The blond told the brunette letting his hand sensually run along the man’s jaw feeling the stubble on his skin.

When they arrived in the hall where they would dine there currently were five slaves doing something and at first there didn’t seem to be a problem until Julius eyes fell onto a handsome, tall man who felt notably uncomfortable with the thin fabric and the way he was dressed missing the leather and the fur he had been wearing before he had been caught after a battle and then sold to those rich Romans. It was one of their new slaves. Last time when he and Dominica had been at the slave market they had bought this man as they had found him mesmerizing and interesting while at the same time just as barbaric and wild as described. His mother had not been glad about the Northerner because a) slaves from Gaul or Germania or other barbarians were incredibly expensive and b) the guy didn’t speak their language and he had no clue about their way of life and any task he had to do as their slave.

And that the man with the undercut and the white-blond beard demonstrated right now. The pillows he had had to shake out and then arrange on a small sofa were practically ripped apart because he had been that violent about it and they were all thrown on it in a pile and not really arranged. And then there was the table and the decoration that was mostly damaged now because the guy had been too rough with it. Now Julius could see why his mother had been incredibly angry with them for buying him but he had been that fascinating and handsome and he had wanted one of the northern savages as a slave for an incredibly long time and now he had one and he was not exactly useful for the kind of work they had given him to do.

“Oh my!” Julius expressed with a deep sigh walking up to the Germanic slave who immediately raised his head prideful and looked down onto Julius as if the Roman noble was a cockroach he loathed. Maybe he had also not considered that they had bought a person who had been a warrior of the enemies. “What by Jupiter have you done here? That was a present from Egypt and what have you done with the pillows and do you think that this is how you arrange and decorate something? Do this properly now! Immediately! Understood!” he ordered and the slave screwed up his nose and his pale grey eyes were staring at Julius not any more friendlily than before. “I am warrior. Not woman. I fight. Not doing household!” the man expressed himself apparently having gotten some of the language more or less. Julius sighed pressing his fingers onto the bridge of his nose. “You are not a warrior anymore. You are a slave. My slave and you do what I tell you as you are my property, I bought you. And now you will do this properly, I want this to be perfect!” the noble demanded and now the other looked down on him even more and spat in front of his feet. “I will always be warrior.” He protested and then hissed. “And you stupid. You tell me to do this again and again, still doesn’t make me know how to do.” The man said and now the blond noble was getting angry with the savage. “You don’t talk and act like this towards me. I could get you killed for your insults if I wanted to right now!” he threatened the man but he only shrugged unimpressed. “Not scared of death. As great warrior will go to Valhalla.” Was the answer and Julius turned to Nero a little desperate and helpless. “What should I do with this guy?” he asked already hearing his mother scold them another time and tell them ‘I told you so’.

"I won't forget that again, sir."

Nero replied with a smile. The rank of a guard was something higher than he had ever imagined. He should learn to be more prideful, perhaps it would come naturally with time here. He was used to hard work with no praise and little respect.

But with the way that Julius reassured him with his touch made his chest swell just a bit with a new sense of pride, and perhaps another feeling he did not yet have the words to describe yet.

It made him want to please the other, serve him well and protect him. Truly be his right hand guard.

Nero stood there silently observing the scene before him, not very pleased at all by the savage's attitude.

"What would I do? I would teach him respect by giving him work that anyone stupid enough could figure out. Hard physically labor should ease that temper of his, make him work so hard he will be too tired to complain."

It was more or less what the parents of the farming village he had grown up had said. The children did not misbehave, not because they were good, but because they were simply too exhausted after a long day's work to get up to any mischief.

Perhaps the same logic would still work with grown men who were too cocky for their own good and need to learn their place?

• 2 weeks later...

While Julius was thinking about it and considering it the white-blond male with the beard grinned widely and his eyes blinked up when Nero suggested punishing him with physical labour of all things. It was clear amusement as well as a mocking smirk at the attitude the guardsman had shown there and how he had talked. The man was from a village in Germania a cold land covered in deep forests and marshlands. He had grown up under harsh living conditions and when there was no battle to fight and he didn’t have to protect his tribe Aldric, that was his name, was building houses and working in the stables. He was crafty and he was strong and physical labour was something he didn’t have any fear of either and that he knew too well.

The Roman noble had not come to any conclusion just yet. There was no incredibly hard physical labour to do around their villa and the only thing he could think about was letting him work in the stables, making him repair things and helping the blacksmith putting on the horseshoes or something along those lines. The other option was to sell him to another noble who had a huge construction project.

“Have you ever worked in the stables?” he asked and the man snorted. “I built the stables.” Aldric said smirking. And somehow as he looked at the slave he got the notion that the man was playing with him. That he had caused that mess deliberately at least the destruction, he did believe that he had no clue how to decorate anything. However he feared that the man would still find ways to sabotage the work even if he was giving him another task he was good at. But for now he had to send him to do something and then he would discuss with Dominica to sell him again as his mother apparently had been right after all. “Go to the stables then and report to the equerry. You will do everything he tells you to and I don’t want to hear any complaints.” Julius ordered and the Germanic raised his eyebrow and grinned even wider, showing his teeth. “Of course not.”

Julius had wanted to turn around and leave with Nero to head into the direction of Dominica’s quarters but somehow he couldn’t get rid of the feeling that the barbarian was making a fool out of him and he didn’t like that feeling. “Where have you learned to speak and understand our language that quickly?” he wanted to know and the slave’s smirk didn’t die. “I listened.” He only stated and then he let him stand there, threw some fabric somewhere heading towards the stables.

Sighing the golden- blond haired man demanded that another slave would do what the Northerner had been supposed to do before he gesticulated Nero to follow him. “Maybe my mother was right and buying a Northerner was not a good decision after all.” He commented. “I don’t think that he will ever accept the role of a slave and I fear that he might sabotage whatever work we give him.” Julius continued his face looking unusually stern. “I’m thinking about selling him to a friend of mine who has a construction project but he might sabotage this as well. The other option would be selling him to a Gladiator school or owner. That work he could not sabotage if he wanted to survive. However I have to consult with Dominica as we have bought him together.”

Truth be told though Nero was not afraid of anything in particular, he found the slave intimidating from the mere fact that he being from a small farming village had never seen a person who was not of Roman descent, or at least looked it. So to see a man who was so pale, and with such light hair and striking blue eyes was really strange to him. In his ignorance he wondered briefly to himself if this wasn't even a man, but some kind of different race. A northern demon.

But he kept his thoughts to himself, it was better to hold one's tongue when he was unsure.

This was practically his first day here, and he did not wish to make himself look foolish in front of everyone.

He could stand still and be a good listener, taking in more information by being silent rather than adding his voice to mix.

Nero did not like the slave's attitude towards them, he seemed very... cheerful for someone who was supposed to be doing hard work. He hated the way he grinned, as if this were all just a game to him.

How did you teach someone like this respect? He clearly wasn't like any of the other slaves. He was from a different land, a different world for all Nero knew. How do you tame a demon?

Finally, after some time spent just observing he let himself speak and offer his opinion, even if it was simplified from his true thoughts.

"I would not trust him. He will bring more trouble than good if you keep him here... He doesn't belong."

They were heading upstairs into the direction of Dominica’s quarters when Nero finally spoke again. He had been silent the whole time after the encounter with the Northerner. The man seemed rather silent in general and Julius started to ask himself why. Did he just not talk much? Wasn’t he interested to talk to the blond in particular? Or was he shy because all of this was new to him? He didn’t look like a shy man at all but one shall not judge a book by its cover, Julius of all people knew that as he was constantly underestimated by those who did not know him and saw him the first time.

What Nero said was not much but the noble could see that there was some truth in it. The Germanic didn’t belong where the slave traders and then he had put him. He did not belong to Rome at all. He was part of a tribe that they were battling, the enemy and the warrior saw them as exactly that. It wasn’t the to Julius fascinating look that didn’t make him belong; it was the mindset and the experiences he came from that made him not belong. “You are right. He doesn’t belong here.” He admitted though not happily. “Though you have to admit that he looks stunning.”

He knocked on the door to Dominica’s room and short after she allowed them to enter. Stepping inside he saw the woman in front of a mirror arranging her caramel brown curls whilst wearing a violet suggestive but at the same time elegant gown. “Where is Antonius I wanted to ask him for a really special new dress?” she asked turning towards Julius and Nero, looking at the guardsman in his new clothing. “Fled from you!” Julius said with a teasing smirk and his sister hissed at him. “What do you want?” she wanted to know a little harshly. She wouldn’t have dared to speak to their father like this but when it came to her brother or Marcus for that matter she had no such respect. The blond man on the other hand just straightened up then and said:” I am here to inform you that I have decided to sell the Germanic we’ve bought to a Gladiator school or owner! He sabotages his work and is not qualified for the work we would have for him.” It sounded as if she had no say and that had been his intention but she didn’t react to it like he had expected.

The woman even let the strand of hair she had been braiding fall and there was shock and anger on her face. “No, you will not! I will never let you sell Aldric to such a horrible place. He could die!” she shouted grabbing Julius collar. “What is wrong with you and why are you calling the barbarian Aldric?” he was trying to make her let go of his collar. “Because that’s his name idiot!” she squealed and didn’t let him defend himself but continued talking. “Where is he!? What have you done to him!?” she shook him as Julius had not gotten off her claws from the fabric of his collar without destroying his clothing. “I send him to the stables….” He answered but couldn’t finish his sentence as she was letting go, pushing him away against Nero and stormed out of the door. Julius who had gotten surprised by that was holding onto Nero so that he had not fallen onto the ground. His blue eyes looked up into the golden ones of his attractive guard. “What was that? What in the name of Jupiter has gotten into her? Women are crazy I tell you!” he exclaimed getting onto his own feet again patting Nero’s chest before getting the man’s clothing into order again before he took care of his own.

“I… I’m afraid to admit I believe that your sister has taken a real liking to the de—to the northern slave. Her strong reaction to wanting to protect him from a fate in death only confirms it.”

Is that why they had bought the demon in the first place, because knowingly or not both the sister and her brother had fallen in love with him?

It made Nero a bit jealous. How could he compete with someone in their eyes of was so rare and exotic? He was just a commoner through and through, even his appearance was quite standard for a Roman. The only thing was different were his hazel eyes, most had darker ones.

But to lighten the mood again, the guard chuckled and helped him to straighten out his ruffled clothes.

“Is she normally that fierce? I grew up with several sisters and brothers myself… and they can be quite feisty when they want something.”

The only good thing that came out of his sister’s rage was that it gave him another excuse to hold Julius for a moment and let him feel how strong his upper body was from his chest down to his abs. It wasn’t even intentional; his body was just that way from growing up doing hard labor since he was very young.

“Nevermind her anyway, I’m sure she will calm down again and we can get it all settled away.”

“You mean that she is in love with him!?” Julius concluded and looked at the other not exactly amused. “If that is true I will have to wash her head.” The noble declared and sighed. “Can’t she just look at him and appreciate the sight? Does she have to develop feelings for him? A slave, a barbarian slave on top of that.” he shook his head finding that there was just everything wrong with it and that this would cause trouble if it was true, what it probably was if he thought about it.

When Nero asked whether Dominica was always that fierce he sighed:” She usually knows her place though she is not shy I have to say. She just seems to forget her place when she is talking to me because I am her brother and Marcus because he is something like a brother to her too though they aren’t related.” He explained. “Several siblings you say? How is it like?” he wanted to know. “I already hated it that I had to share the attention of my mother and family with Marcus and my sister.” He admitted.

Hesitantly he nodded. “I hope you are right about that.” Julius stated when Nero said that Dominica would calm down and he could get Aldric away from their villa as he had his doubts that his sister would calm down again if she really did have a crush on the Northerner. The blond was still standing close to the guard and he was letting his hand roam over his chest looking into his eyes. “If not we have to make a plan.” He said his lips curling up in a smile, as his hand was wandering down over the other’s strong abdomen when the door was opened.

Julius made a step away from his guard but it turned out he didn’t have to as it was not his sister who returned. He was looking into the face of his sister’s favourite slave, the one she kept around almost all the time. It was an Egyptian woman with long black hair, caramel skin and dark eyes. She looked confused when she found Julius and his guard in her mistress’s room but Dominica was not in it. “Where is mistress Dominica?” she asked. “The legions have arrived a while ago and master Marcus has returned to the villa now. She wanted me to inform her.” The woman explained and in the first moment all the blond noble was taking in was that Marcus was back and his heart was starting to jump and at the same time there was an odd, heavy feeling he didn’t quite understand.

When he was able to focus at the uninteresting bit about Dominica’s whereabouts he finally spoke as the servant woman had gotten uncomfortable at the silence already. “I am not sure but it’s most likely that she had headed to the stables.” He informed her and the woman seemed confused for a moment before being able to make sense out of it. “I see. She’s probably staying with Aldric again. Thank you master Julius!” the slave lady said and wanted to leave but Julius was stopping her. “Hold on right there!” he exclaimed. “Staying with Aldric again you said? What do you know about that whole ‘Aldric thing’?” he questioned and she shook her head frantically. “Nothing and there is nothing to know anything about either master.” She answered, blushing lightly showing that she was lying and that she did know but it seemed like Dominica had forbidden her to talk about it so he wouldn’t bother the poor woman anymore. “Alright! You may leave.” He allowed her and gone she was.

“I really don’t know what my stupid sister is thinking! Is she thinking at all ?” he ranted and then sighed and turned to Nero again. “Let’s go and see if Marcus is actually back.”

"I hate to admit that... but yes that is what I was suggesting. Women are very strange... Like I mentioned, I grew up with many sisters so I have witnessed that first hand."

The guard chuckled softly, even if the situation was really nothing humorous at all. In fact quite the opposite.

"Having many siblings is mostly a good thing. The more help it was around the farm to get work done. I suppose it helps to teach you how to blend in and get along with others. It takes a lot of cooperate with that many of us, but we were all close."

He nodded softly as he recalled the one time when he was very young and had been ill for a whole week, but how his brothers had willingly took on his chores and how his sisters had visited him in bed and brought him scraps.

Nero had been so lost in his memories of childhood back at home for a moment that he didn't even notice that Julius was standing so close until he felt the other man's hand crawling down his chest, snapping him out of his trance and bringing him a different sort of image in his head...

He turned quickly though when the door was suddenly opened and he was unsure of how to feel.

She spoke of Marcus returning, and Julius had spoke fondly of the man he had grown up with and Nero knew he should start feeling the same, but that was hard when he didn't even know the former guard personally. But he would try his best to be as welcoming since he knew that if Julius cared for the man then he would learn to feel the same.

Again? Did they both hear that correctly? This was worse than he had suspected, but... he sort of had a feeling from the moment she got so upset over the northern demon that there was something else going on behind it.

He didn't dare answer the noble's question truthfully, or at all so he just nodded his head and followed along when the other suggest they go see Marcus.

Markus was leaning against soft pillows while he was sitting on the small sofa. His face was stern, there were stubble on his chin and his skin looked a lot paler than before he had left. It seemed like he had gotten not only even more muscular but also more serious during the years away from home. The man was feeling rather tired and he would have just liked to see Julius again and spend the rest of the day in bed with him but he knew that this was not going to happen, there was still a feast coming up. The Centurion had already paraded through the city when he had arrived to show himself and the legions to the citizens what was important; he had talked strategy and reported to his superiors in Rome before he had arrived at the villa. Having arrived there Lilia Julius’s mother had already waited for him. And after the lady had kissed his pale, rough skin she had gone on and on about how he should have never left because Julius had become completely irresponsible, telling him about him sneaking out in the night into bad districts, that new guard he had brought home, that he and Dominica had bought a Germanic slave whom she didn’t trust and was scared of. He had had to promise her to solve the issue after assuring her that he knew how to deal with the barbarians as he had had the honour for a few years now, having lost his fear of them as he had seen them die. Granted, the barbarians he had fought had been other types of barbarians but they were Northerners too. He had even caught one of their tribe’s leaders alive and had brought him all the way from that rainy island to Rome as a prisoner and the further that man had gotten away from home, the more hateful he had looked at Markus out of his green eyes and his painted face.

Lilia had just left the room to tell the slaves in the kitchen to prepare some dishes for Markus what allowed the brunette man to lay back more casually when the door opened again. He sat up and his dark blue eyes wandered over to the door. Two mean were stepping inside and one he recognised immediately. Julius looked just the same he had when he had left and the other man he didn’t know but he assumed must be the new guard the blond had written to him about. On his way back home the Centurion had had a lot of time to think about how it would be when he finally saw Julius again. And there had been plenty scenarios on his head. The blonds eyes glistering, him running towards him and jumping into his arms was one, them not saying a word but going for each other like beasts in heat fucking right there another one, that Julius would break out in tears and tell him how much he had missed him, that he loved him and that he didn’t want him to leave ever again yet another one but how it really was now he had never imagined.

There was tension in the room thick enough to cut it into pieces and it didn’t disappear when Markus got up from the sofa, the red cape falling down from his shoulders as he stood, nodding towards the two men. “Julius!” he said sounding almost formal.

He would have never thought that this would have been that awkward, that he’d feel a disconnect, that everything had just moved forward and was different now, that time and miles had managed to force a distance between them after all. Finally he could hear the other man’s voice again. “You look pale.” Julius commented standing close to the new guardsman. The soldier laughed. “If you were to live at a harsh island where it’s always grey and rains, you’d look no different.” He let the other know grinning. “And for a grey island and a bunch of barbarians you’ve abandoned me!” The blond noble said and Markus rolled his eyes. “They are quite interesting those barbarians. Some even permanently paint their bodies.” He said while he was walking closer to Julius and the new guard until he stood right before him.

The taller brunette was looking into Julius eyes standing right before him inhaling his smell and he knew the other was doing the same as he looked at him. Markus smiled, placed his hand onto the shorter man’s cheek before he kissed him. It was like the weight of the tension was falling off of him when he was pressing the smaller body against his, felt the other again and let his tongue slide into his mouth. He only let go of him because he had to breathe and finally, after he had released the blond from the kiss the son of the senator said a little breathless :” Welcome back Markus!” What he commented with a “Finally! It was about time you said that.”

Then he turned towards the new guard and his eyes wandered up and down the other man who was strongly built like himself. He was definitely attractive, there was no denying that. “You must be the new guardsman I suppose.” He said. “Julius has praised you a lot in one of his incredibly inappropriate letters he sent me.” The Centurion stated with a grin, he took the man’s hand, shook it strongly whilst pulling him into a short hug placing one quick kiss to each side of his cheek to greet him before he brought back the distance again. “I’m Centurion Markus Hirtius.” He introduced himself. “Julius has told me you saved him in a tavern and I owe you a ‘thanks’ for that.”

Nero tried his best to remain apathetic but still polite which was hard because he knew Julius, but not as well as the other man did whom they had a history with. He could tell just from the way the two men were looking at each other that this meeting was of conflicted emotions. He saw their hidden pain, and maybe even a hint of lust. But like him they were also trying to remain professional, if not a little bit cold. Probably being apart from someone you cared for so deeply had such an effect, though Nero wouldn't have known since he had never been apart from his own family until now. But he had made the choice and knew it was for the best.

But then he turned to see the barriers had finally broken down between the two men and they were embracing. It was hard to watch honestly, so he politely averted his gaze just slightly, while still being alert for when it would come time for him to be introduced.

Nero wasn't used to seeing such affection, even back at home life was so hard, so there wasn't much time for affection.

He didn't mean to come across as so serious and stiff, but the whole embracing thing would be taking some getting used to.

But if this man was someone who Juluis cared for, then so would Nero out of his loyalty. It of course helped that Markus was attractive.

"Well, now that we are both here to guard I don't think he will be getting into anymore trouble so easily."

Nero nodded, giving both men an almost playful smile. He may have been very quiet and a bit reserved, but he wasn't a bit shy.

Markus laughed at the new guard’s remark and patted his shoulder collegially. Had the guy seemed incredibly uptight to him this whole time, even as if he was highly uncomfortable, he now figured he might have a sense of humour actually. “I’ll certainly keep an eye on him now again too.” He assured turning his head to Julius quickly, smirking, before he turned back to Nero.

“However guarding him is your honour now. I didn’t come back to be his guard again. I have other tasks to do as the Centurion.” He informed and he had not yet finished his sentence when he heard Julius snort and when he turned around he looked into a pouting stubborn face.

“Really Julius? Come on! You knew this. You couldn’t have possibly thought that I would return and get back to my old position.” Markus reasoned but Julius stayed stubborn. “And what if I had thought or better hoped that?” he asked and the brunette man sighed, knowing that arguing would just make it worse. “It’s dangerous when he gets like this. One better says nothing because regardless of what one says it’s always the wrong thing anyway, you won’t stand a chance to please him then.” The Centurion whispered towards Nero giving him some advice by sharing his knowledge about Julius. “I heard that!” the blond hissed.

Nero put his hands up and gently shook his head, he wanted to stay out of this one since there was no telling what it could lead to. When growing up whenever his siblings got into arguments it was always better to remain quiet.

But he couldn't resist trying to subdue the situation between the two men.

"He's just saying that because he wants me to know how to treat you properly."

He nodded to himself, but stood by Julius's side just in case. He wasn't choosing sides necessarily, but this was to show that he would stand by the noble in any situation. Even when Julius was in the wrong he would still be loyal to guarding him.

Maybe once they all got more acquainted things would be easier again. In a way Nero still felt like a stranger here, he didn't grow up with the two men they way they had.

Knowing how fond Julius had been of Markus only raised the bar for Nero in meeting those same expectations, but not only that, but also exceeding them. He had to prove that he was the best guard Julius could have ever chosen.

Julius snorted towards Nero, his eyes still narrowed. “Of course.” He said. “He is sharing a handbook as to how to deal with me with you as if I was an animal only he knew how to tame.” The blond was not calming down. It was not so much the stupid remark that Markus had made but more so the fact that the other seemed to not regret having left him for that long at all and Julius had wanted the other to come back realising that he needed him to breathe. That he couldn’t fucking live being apart from him that long but apparently Markus had not had much of a problem with that.

“See, you can’t win when he is in that state.” Markus said to Nero as the blond had just proven his point. “Shut up Centurion!” Julius demanded saying the title in a mocking tone. Markus sighed shaking his head but then the door was getting opened and Dominica was walking in followed by the Egyptian slave who was looking a little embarrassed as if she had seen something before that she had rather not seen. Markus looked at the young woman who had become much more mature since he had left and since other than Julius she smiled widely at him Markus returned the smile. “Markus!” she rejoiced jumping at him hugging him and kissing his cheek. “I have missed you. Did you get something for me from there?” she asked when Markus hugged her back. “Yes.” The Centurion said. “I don’t have it here now, I give it to you later.” He said and then realised that there was a shit ton of straw in her hair and one side of her shoulder was bared as the dress had gotten into a mess. The confused Centurion pulled straw out of the woman’s hair and looked at it. “Why do you have straw in your hair and how are you even looking?” he asked but she couldn’t even answer when Julius was stepping forward looking strict and incredibly displeased. “Tell me you didn’t Dominica! Tell me that this is not what it looks like!” he demanded.

Nero couldn't believe this was really happening. He had never been put so much in the middle before in an argument than now. It felt like he didn't belong here. Everyone was bickering and he had no idea what to say. Markus had not been his guard, and Dominica not his sister. So he was unsure of how to feel, or what was appropriate to act. All he knew was that Julius was getting increasingly agitated by the situation and everyone involved.

He tried to keep his gaze slightly averted, not wanting to look at the wrong time. But he too noticed that her appearance was suggesting something that her brother did not want to see.

Nero shouldn't have even thought of smiling, but the familiar look of lady covered in straw was just too close to home where most everyone slept or whatever else have you, in the barn straw.

Markus got completely confused when Julius was acting as if Dominica had committed a crime, had betrayed him or something along those lines.

“It’s not what it looks like!?” Dominica repeated what Julius had told her to say with a sneaky look on her face and Markus shook his head. “What even is the problem here?” he asked and Julius stepped forward. “I tell you what is up here; she banged the barbarian slave, the Northerner. That’s why she doesn’t want me to sell him, she wants to have his cock and ride it like some bitch in heat.” The blond spat out and in the blink of an eye Dominica had come forward and slapped his face as hard as she could. “How dare you call me this!” she hissed but instead of a response from Julius a laugh sounded through the room.

“Who cares ?” Markus said when he had stopped laughing. “So she slept with the slave. As long as he doesn’t get her pregnant and she can still get married to a man of her status I don’t see a problem. You once told me that you have seen her getting such a service from her as well.” Markus pointed at the Egyptian slave whom Dominica let sleep in her bed. “This is different. That’s a woman, it doesn’t mean anything, she can’t have sex another woman, it’s women being touchy nothing more. Besides he is a barbarian, I don’t trust him and he is dangerous.” Julius argued and it only seemed to amuse Markus more. “Dangerous? It’s a bloody man. I have fucked a barbarian once or twice while I was gone. Nothing happened. They are uncivilised but they are people. They eat, they fuck, they bleed, they die.” He said. “She is my sister Markus and a woman. Don’t compare this to yourself.” He protested clearly not happy about what Markus had told him there.

The Centurion sighed. “Dominica, go and clean yourself.” Markus told her. “You’ll help her.” He nodded into the direction of the Egyptian slave who had blushed fire red at the mentioning of her pleasing her mistress in such a way. When the two women were gone he turned towards Nero again. “You must think we’re crazy people.” He jested and then turned to Julius again, taking his face between his hands. “And you, you are unbearable today. I thought you’d be glad to see me again, that you missed me. But all you do is nagging. I think you actually need to get laid. Didn’t your new guard touch you at all.” He provoked Julius with a grin though there was a sting of jealousy in his voice and the blond clenched his teeth. “Fuck you Markus!” he said but actually leaned his face into his hands.

• Saga locked this topic