Between Heaven and Earth [Gladis & StainedCrimson]

Gladis

Lan keeps one eye firmly on René once he enters the ocean. It's not as though the other male has given the dragon any reason to not need to be at the ready when around bodies of water. Though Nagi's words snap most of his attention to the other, a low rumble escaping the dragon, though covered by the waves unless close by. "I am a dragon, should I so desire anything then it will be mine." He nearly snaps his voice is so clipped and tight. Almost immediately after he lets out a soft huff as he resettles in the warm sand.

"Still, I have no plans on holding him prisoner or making him stay against his will. So far none of his kind have sent anyone to look for him, and he hasn't expressed any desire to go back. Until he figures out what he wants, all I'm doing is making sure that he survives." The snorts. "Though he pushes that at times. It is amazing that sky dwellers have lived so long if most of them are like him. Little to no survival instinct I tell you." He sighs before continuing. "Though if need be I've considered taking him back myself." The thought of flying into the sky dwellers domain sets him on edge, but it would be something he'd do if required.

After a few more moments of silence the dragon speaks again. "I think more of a deer. Needs others around, but can be dangerous when cornered." Lan adds as an afterthought as he begins to feel the stirrings of hunger as time passes. "And tasty. Not that I'd eat him now, but at the time I had given it thought until I saw how waterlogged he was when I pulled him out of the river."

Rolling on to his stomach, his back is covered by the damp sand which covers the scales along his spine. The ones that legends and myths talk of being filled with magic and power, though more is rumored to be in them if given freely than taken by force. The scales aren't fully manifested in human form, instead they seem as though just below the surface of the skin or perhaps as though resting on the surface like a leaf on water. Lan breaths out a small stream of flame to heat the sand up a bit more before fully settling down before calling out to René. "Another ten minutes then we're heading back to get ready fo dinner."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StainedCrimson

• Gladis

”That’s not what I meant and you know it.”

Nagi let out a soft sigh, regarding Lan carefully before shrugging his shoulders, resting his chin on his knee as he resumed watching René. The human had moved back onto the beach, kneeling down whilst busily rummaging around the sand. Collecting rocks or seashells, was Nagi’s guess. It was odd, he thought. Although René was clearly not a child he seemed to possess the curiosity of one. Innocence hardly befitting his age reflected in his eyes, and though he was shy his behavior was warm and mild. And yet there was something about him – something Nagi in all of his perceptive wisdom couldn’t quite place. Perhaps Lan was right and the description of a deer was more fitting after all.

”He must have been raised in a very sheltered environment,” he concluded after a moment of thought, ”the boy seems nothing like how the sky dweller’s are supposed to be. There’s no cruelty in his eyes… although…” Nagi seemed to hesitate for a moment, frowning slightly before giving a small shake of his head. ”No, nevermind.” He said, a soft chuckle spilling past his lips as Lan described his former consideration of eating René.

”Well, it’s probably lucky that you didn’t. I know of a water dragon who ate a human once and her stomach wouldn’t settle for weeks. Oh, and you know how water dragons get when they’re not feeling too well. She nearly had all of Azmarin submerged in her misery!”

Nagi paused as Lan turned on his stomach, reaching out to gently trace a pattern on the dragon’s back, brushing off the thin layer of sand as he did. In the meanwhile René turned in their direction and gave a thumbs up to show that he had heard. The remaining time was more or less spent in silence, savouring the moment of tranquility. Nagi simply seemed to be happy to be back in Lan’s presence. He had always enjoyed the dragon’s visits, and often felt that they happened far too seldom.

After some time, he rose to his feet in his usual elegant manner. ”Well then – shall we start making our way back? I’m sure Pria should have dinner ready by now.”

Lan hums at Nagi's next observation. "I am not sure sheltered would be the correct term. The little I have heard and gathered it sounds more like he kept himself out of sight, or perhaps was ignored by those around him." When the other laughs at him for considering eating René, and how the water dragon reacted, the dragon scoffs snorting out a derisive cloud of smoke. "I'm not a dramatic water-logged wrym to where a mere stomachache would affect me so." He tilts his head, eyes narrowed in thought. "Though I might be tempted to tear apart the forest to find medicine if it got bad enough."

When his friend brushes the sand along his back, Lan lets out a low pleased hum. Having his back scales rubbed is one of his most favorite experiences. Very little relaxes the dragon as much as having those scales stroked, rubbed, and tended to. However, given the very private and personal nature of such an act there are very few outside of Nagi that Lan can trust in such a manner.

By the time the other rose to get them to move on to dinner, the dragon is almost melded with the sand from being relaxed and nearly asleep between the warmth and administrations of the other male. Lazily he rolls an eye in mock accusation. "You... are a tease." With a final huff Lan, almost moving like liquid, stands up then stretches with long yawn. Gathering up his top and shoes, he finally calls out to René. "Time to go, come back in René."

Once the other is close, the dragon turns to begin the walk back to Nagi's home where he can clean up and eat. Perhaps he might even see about having his friend give him a more thorough back rub later. A low eager rumble briefly escapes at the thought before turning to said man. "I will be having you finish what you started tonight." He announces while raising an playful eyebrow as if there was a possibility that his friend would either turn him away or the chance to spend more time together.

”Well,” said Nagi, giving a light shrug of his shoulders, ”I’m sure you’re right. I wouldn’t know. After all, I can only base my observations on what I’ve seen.”

He chuckled softly in response to Lan’s protests to begin compared to a water dragon – or a water-logged wyrm, as he so nicely had put it. ”I’m just teasing you, Lan. Don’t mind me. Although–” he tilted his head to the side, regarding René thoughtfully, ”I do still doubt that sky dwellers would make particularly healthy meals.”

Stretching, he watched as René hurried back over to where they were standing, his cupped hands containing a number of rocks and seashells. Nagi arched an eyebrow but refrained from saying anything. The human was Lan’s to deal with. Besides, René seemed a lot happier now than he’d been before, and that was good. Nagi had a creeping suspicion the boy wasn’t particularly fond of him. Understandable, perhaps, though the siren had a feeling René’s problems extended far beyond simple jealousy.

Almost as though René could tell what Nagi was thinking, he averted his gaze and pouted, hugging his findings to his chest as he put on his shoes and followed the dragon and siren back up the path to the house.

Upon hearing Lan’s comment, Nagi’s full lips twitched into a mischievous smile. He tilted his head a little to the side, laughter in his eyes. ”Oh, I don’t doubt you will,” he mused, before adding in a soft hum, ”and I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

As promised, dinner was more or less ready to be served by the time they spilled over the threshold, a mouth watering scent of garlic and other spices not as easily identified wafting through the air. Nagi allowed them some time to clean up before they all gathered in the dining room, Pria’s hard work laid out on the table.

It was a peculiar kind of soup – probably seafood based like everything else they’d had since getting there. Still, it smelled so wonderful that René forgot about his sulking for a moment. Accepting the bowl from Nagi with a polite thank you, he followed the siren’s example by sipping directly from the bowl.

That was a mistake.

Although the taste wasn’t bad, the soup was incredibly spicy. Hot-spicy. Spicy enough to make it feel like his entire mouth and throat were on fire. Having never had anything like it before, he scrunch up his face, quickly setting down the bowl before beginning to cough violently into the crook of his arm. His eyes had teared up and he knew he must look ridiculous.

”Oh dear!” Nagi exclaimed, his expression filled with (according to René) annoyingly innocent concern, setting down his bowl in an equally (again, according to René) annoyingly elegant movement, ”Are you quite alright?”

”I’m fine!” René snapped between coughing fits, not feeling fine at all. Still, the coughing eventually settled down and he sniffed, wiping his his eyes with the back of his hand. He felt like he’d made a terrible fool of himself.

”I’m so sorry,” Nagi said, seeming genuinely apologetic about it. He held out a glass to René, who accepted it without thinking. ”I had no idea you couldn’t eat spicy food. Don’t worry, dear. I’ll have Pria whip up something else for you.”

That’s awfully nice of you! René thought bitterly as he poured the glasse’s contents down his throat. For some reason the gesture just pissed him off even more. Even so, he remained civil and polite – as he’d been raised to act in all situations.

”A-ah… sorry about that. No, it’s quite alright, you don’t have to. I was never all that hungry to begin with. I-I...uhm…” he hesitated, gazing into his lap as his cheeks blazed with embarrassment, ”I-If you’ll excuse me. I don’t feel too well.” He stood up, wobbling slightly on his feet. He was feeling lightheaded somehow, and a little sick to boot. Turning around, he hurried out of the room, leaving the other two to enjoy their dinner in peace.

Lan was contently sipping at his own soup enjoying the spices unique to the seaside town. When René begins to cough and tears flow down his face, not too mention the other flushing, the dragon frowns in confusion and concern as he sets down his bowl. "I should have considered that you might not react well to strong spices and warned you. I don't often use many spices in my own cooking as I normally go for fast preparation than flavor...." He trails off as the other suddenly rushes out of the room, the scent of embarrassment drifting to the dragon on the breeze.

Slowly, the dragon blinks as he tries to process the whole situation. Turning to look at his friend, he frowns slightly with his brows furrowed. "You didn't do something when I wasn't around did you?" Even when they first engaged and Lan was in his main form René had never reacted with such rudeness or irritation. It quite honestly surprises and worries him, as well as eye his friend suspiciously knowing the other has a tendency to be nosy or mischievous.

Turning to look back down the hallway that the sky dweller had disappeared down, he huffs. "Perhaps it would be best if I made him something and took it to him after we finish. I wouldn't want Pria to make something and then him not eat it." The lie of the other male not being all that hungry was certainly a lie after all the activity after their last meal. After several more moments the dragon turns back to his own meal and continues to eat.

"I wonder if all sky dwellers are as sensitive to spicy foods. I can't imagine they have much in the way of flavor living up there." He comments offhandedly. Tilting his head to look at the siren. "Well, you clearly see and know what kind of excitement" The word is filled with a bit of sarcasm. "I've been enjoying. Do tell what you've gotten into, it's only polite after all." He gives a faint smirk while continuing to eat.

After they chat and finish the food, Lan stretches then sighs as he goes to cook the other a snack for the night. Nothing complicated or up to Pria's skill, but simple fare. Bread, butter, a small salad, and roasted fish of which the dragon uses his own flame instead of bothering to lite anything to cook the fish. Adding some tea and a glass of water, he goes to deliver René the tray.

Knocking then entering without waiting, Lan looks for René. "I've brought you some food." He states simply and after setting it down turns to look at the other. "Are you alright? You've seemed... somewhat agitated." The dragon waits and looks at teh other, clearly not going to leave until satisfied.

Nagi couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow in response to Lan’s inquiry. ”No, of course not.” He answered truthfully. The dragon may have been an old and wise creature, but to the siren it seemed that he was surprisingly oblivious to the finer points of people’s feelings. It wasn’t that hard to figure out what had overcome René – to Nagi it seemed perfectly clear. Still, it wasn’t his place to get involved in this kind of matter. They would need to work it out themselves. ”Besides, you’ve pretty much been around all the time. If I’d done something you’d know.”

His lips formed a mild smile when Lan suggested that he should bring René something to eat. ”I’m sure he would appreciate it a lot. Lan…” Nagi seemed to hesitate, a slight frown creasing his forehead. He gave a small shake of his head. ”No, nevermind.” Resuming to sipping his soup, he pondered the dragon’s question.

”Hmm…” he said thoughtfully, setting down his half empty bowl once more. ”Not much has happened since you were here last, although…” he frowned, ”It has come to my attention that the sky dweller’s have been mobilizing an unusual amount of their flying machines. If I’m not completely misreading the signs, I would assume they’re at the brink of war which is…” he sighed, ”concerning, to say the least.”

Although the sky dwellers only ever seemed to wage war on one another – never on the world below, but even their conflicts had always been of consequence to the earth dwellers as well. War meant a multitude of death and destruction – some of which would always come raining down on the world below. Broken airships, corpses, debris and even chunks of the floating islands all became hazards to look out for. More than three decades had passed since a large scale war was fought between the floating nations. Yet anyone old enough to remember the devastation it had left in its wake would not be eager to see history repeat itself.

”Naturally, there’s always a chance I’m seeing ghosts where there are none. Jumping to conclusions too soon would be unwise…” he trailed off, giving a small shrug of his shoulders.

There was a knock on the door.

René glanced up from where he was sitting curled up on the floor, in the small space between the bed and the drawer. Ever since he was a child he had made a habit of curling up in small spaces when he felt upset. Now he was hugging his knees to his chest, and although he had stopped crying his cheeks were tear streaked and his eyes puffy. He didn’t say anything and by the looks of it he didn’t have to either. René’s jade green gaze followed the dragon as he stepped into the room – or more specifically, the try he was carrying. He swallowed hard, slowly nodding his head in response to Lan’s question.

”I’m sorry...” he apologized, his voice coming out a lot raspier than intended. Standing up, he locked his gaze onto the wooden floor. ”I… I didn’t mean to overreact like that, and I was rude to your friend. I shouldn’t have snapped at him. I just… I just…” no matter how hard he tried, René couldn’t quite put his finger on what the problem was.

I just feel so angry, and confused… He thought. But why? René didn’t know, and he wasn’t sure he could have expressed it if he did. So he simply shook his head, nervously fiddling with his hands.

”I apologize for having embarrassed you, Lan…” he said quietly, chewing on his bottom lips.

Lan snorts, a faint puff of light grey smoke coming out of the nostrils. "I am not the one you should apologize to, though I do appreciate it." Shifting to look at the other, his eyes narrow slightly. "That can wait until tomorrow once you've composed yourself and recover from the meal." René's confusion causes Lan's own to grow. With another huff he straightens up and looks around for a moment before refocusing on the other.

Slowly, almost cautiously, the dragon asks his question. "René, how likely is it that your people would go to war with those of us living below them?" Nagi's words are still circling in his mind and a cause for concern. Not that those living on the land or water would be unable or unwilling to fight back, but they are not eager for the cost such an act would cause them. While they have abilities and ferocity to fight back and maybe even defeat the sky dwellers, their weapons and such would deal a devastating number of deaths, severe injuries, and destruction on the land itself.

Sighing softly the dragon sits down on the edge of the bed as he explains the reason for his question. "Apparently there have been significantly more of your people flying their crafts around than normal. As we have not seen them near the mountains it can be ruled out that looking for you is the cause. Unless you think it likely they've just passed without us noticing." Tilting his head Lan gives a slight shrug. "Granted, if your people are going to war among themselves then it's less cause of concern minus the damage and trouble the battle will cause in way of falling debris and the like."

Some time later the dragon finally drags himself out of René's room and down to Nagi's. Once inside he sluggishly removes his clothing before falling face down on to the other's bed. "Back rub now, yes." He mumbles through the pillow. The information told and not told to him by René still circling in his head.

Come morning, having finally fallen asleep to his friend's attentions, walks out of Nagi's room to head to his own to change and get ready for the day. Not that there's much to get ready for, but clean clothes and the like are still something to be seen to.

• Saga locked this topic