Between Heaven and Earth [Gladis & StainedCrimson]

Gladis

At the other's protests about being able to put on the shoes, Lan gives the other the attention he deserves. None. Though they appear simple the wrapings go around the foot and leg in particular manner so as to be held in place without needing to knot them. As they approach the town, Lan thought things were going well until his tag along falls into the mud. With a sigh, he stops and turns to watch the other, proceeding to frown when René stands while clenching his teeth.

"You injured yourself. Haven't even made it to the town and you have managed to turn yourself into a right mess and get hurt." Lan's voice holds a touch of disbelief and confusion. Frowning, he squints at teh other and leans forward. "Are all of your kind as such? If so, it is amazing that more of you haven't crashed down here. Or just tripped and fell down." He huffs while moving closer to get the other to more stable and dry land.

Once certain the other is in no immediate danger of falling down again, Lan kneels and picks up the foot that the other had favored while moving. "Hmm, it should be just a minor injury. These are made from a very durable skin and meant to assist the wearer with avoiding twisted injuries and such." He murmurs to himself while running a thumb along one ankle to assess for swelling and tenderness. "Still, best to not put too much weight on it for now." Setting René's foot on the ground, he stands to go find a suitable branch for the other to use as a makeshift walking stick.

What is, perhaps, noticeable is that the mud and grass that was stuck to the dragon's clothing seems to blow off with the faint breeze and there's no hint of moisture despite the ground being wet from the storm. In fact, were René to look at his own clothing or take note of his state, the mud hadn't seeped through his clothing. Some mud has slid off and in the patches where it's dried already, it appears as though it may be flaking off. Not as fast as Lan's own clothing, but enough to where the other male should be relatively mud free either by the time they reach the town or shortly thereafter.

After a few moments Lan returns with a sturdy branch just big enough to be a suitable walking cane for the other. "Here. Do try and be more mindful. It'd be most unfortunate were you to have to visit the doctor on your first trip to the town." The dragon states in a dry tone with a faint smirk as he turns to continue walking. This time, he keeps René in his peripheral eyesight to make sure that no more 'accidents' happen.

The walk to town takes a bit longer due to the decreased pace, but eventually they reach the town. Which, in all retrospect, is more like a small to mid-size city would be to René. The two can hear the murmur and sounds of the town before they see it, and almost in the blink of an eye they go from being in the forest to being surrounded by various creatures. Some seem human enough, with a few physical differences like wings/tails/etc., but some are clearly not.

"Stay close." Lan murmurs to the other while lightly holding the elbow of the smaller male's free arm. He deftly guides them through the crowd towards the market where there are stalls, shops and various other ways that those with goods try to sell them. He leads them towards a shop that is just a little ways down an alleyway, calling out in a dry monotone as they enter. "You had best be here or else I'm taking a delivery fee for wasting my time."

A laugh reaches them in response to the greeting. "As if I'd ever dare to not be here to greet you, you jaded lizard." The tone is teasing but has a warm familiarity to the tone which indicates there is a good friendship here. Lan snorts and, letting go of the other, leads the way to the counter where a smiling woman rests with her cheek on a propped up hand, the other lightly drumming the claw finger-like appendages on the wooden surface. Other than the hard shell that seems to go up the woman's arms like a long glove, is the fact that she has four sets of amber-colored eyes (each progressively smaller as they go) starting where a typical set of eyes would be on a human.

All four sets widen when they spot René. "What's this? Have you finally found something pretty to keep you company at night? Or is he a special gift for me?" She grins wider which shows all her teeth have pointed ends. He just stares at her unimpressed before rolling his eyes. "And to think I almost forgot how funny you were. Perhaps I should leave so I might have a chance to..." This of course causes her to laugh again as Lan stops at the counter where he pulls out the clothe holding the plants which are revealed when he carefully unwraps them. "The two plants, as promised." He then pulls out the gem from another pouch. Compared to what René is perhaps used to, it almost seems to have a fire burning within it that shifts and flickers causing the shades of red to alter and shift. "And one fire ruby."

The woman looks them over and nods her approval. "Always good doing business with you Lan. Always so timely." She carefully puts the gem away and gently gathers the plants. "I'll see you in a few days then." With a wave she turns to head to the back and as she does so, the rest of her comes into view. From the waist down her body is that of a large spider which is now easily seen above the counter as she's standing.

Nodding he then turns to René. "If you are feeling up to it, we can walk around for a time."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StainedCrimson

• Gladis

”No,” René responded dryly, ”I’m just a particularly bad case of clumsy.” He had lost count of how many times he’d been told as much by his father, brothers, fellow students and teachers alike. ”Or unlucky, depending on whom you ask.” Considering all that had happened only these last twenty four hours, René was beginning to have a creeping suspicion that it was a bad combination of both. Perhaps there was a little bit of luck mixed in there as well, though. He would have died if Lan hadn’t happened to find him in the river, and even if his ankle hurt now it didn’t seem to be a serious injury. That if nothing else was a relief. Gratefully he accepted the stick, only scowl when he noticed the slight smirk on the dragon’s face. He didn’t argue, however, instead focusing on walking. At least it was easier now that Lan had slowed down a little.

By the time they reached the town, René was surprised to find that the mud had nearly flaked off his clothes entirely. Stains remained on his face and especially his hands, so he would have to wash up whenever given the opportunity. He hardly payed that any mind, though. Fascinated, he tugged lightly at his cloak, feeling this strange fabric as though that would somehow help him figure out how it worked.

Upon being told to stay close by Lan he glanced up, for the first time properly taking in his surroundings. Everywhere there were creatures of all shapes and sizes – some of which looked human enough and some that were even stranger than the dragon leading him through the market. There was so much to look at that René almost completely forgot about his ankle. It was a good thing Lan was holding on to him, or otherwise René might have been tempted to wander off. Even so he felt disappointed that they couldn’t spend more time looking at the stalls. There was just so much to look at! So many scents, shapes and colors to take in. Instead he was being ushered into what appeared to be some kind of shop, who’s keeper was perhaps the most peculiar creature René had laid eyes on thus far. So many eyes! René quickly cast his gaze downwards, because he knew it was rude to stare. Even so he couldn’t help but feel slightly intimidated, instinctively keeping close to Lan.

Her question, even if it had been intended as a joke, was enough to make his cheeks turn a soft shade of pink. So that was what it looked like to her, huh?

”T-that’s not really…” he protested, but in such a quiet mumble that it could have easily been missed. Nervously he wrung his hands behind his back, his jade green gaze falling upon the ruby Lan placed on the counter. So pretty… and like most of the things he had come across down here, it wasn’t really like anything he’d ever seen before. There was a part of him that wanted to reach out and touch it, yet he knew better than to heed that instinct. Instead he got something else to focus on. His eyes widened as the woman turned around, revealing the rest of her body. Well, that explained the eyes, at least! Now that he thought of it, he had probably read about the aracne somewhere at some point – although there really wasn’t much to be found about them. The records of them were even more incomplete than that of dragons. How fascinating! He wondered how-

Wherever that thought was headed, Lan’s question put a stop to it. Blinking he glanced up at the dragon, the corners of his lips pulling into a smile.

”I would like that very much, please.”

Lan raises an eyebrow having noticed the other mentally wander off when Sarahae had stood up to go plant the items he had brought her. Still, he lets it be for now and gives a small nod. "Very well. Be sure to not push yourself as you will still need to walk out of town." Turning, he leads the way out of the shop and back to the busy streets. "Now then, one thing to be sure of is to stay close and if unsure of anything ask me before saying or doing anything." He warns the other with a sideways glance. Now that he knows of the other being admittedly clumsy, Lan is concerned the other may cause more trouble if not kept a close eye on.

Still, as they make their way through the market area it is clear that Lan is given a fair deal of deference. As the dragon walks by no one gets too close and most give small nods or bows as he passes by. For his part, he gives perhaps small nods in return but otherwise seems oblivious to it all. Though as they wander the market many give René curious looks and some even sniff in his direction, but no one gets too close to the pair. When they stop at places the other shows interest in, which the dragon notes with mild annoyance and amusement is nearly everything, the merchants talk to Lan first and only to René after the dragon waves at the other or indicates that his companion is the one looking and not him.

After some time, Lan glances at the sky then the other male. "Come. We should eat." Turning, he heads deeper into the town and takes them to an area that has wide streets and filled with small little specialty shops and such. One one corner there's a bakery and a little ways from that is a sweets store. Lan takes them to a place that has a few outside tables and such set up. Sitting down at an empty table he waits for someone to come serve them, which is fairly quickly. "Good afternoon. What would you like to drink?"

"I would like Metheglin." Lan replies and then looks over at René indicating he should give his preference as well. That done the server gives a small bow then goes inside to get their drinks. He soon returns with drinks, a bowl of warm brown bread, butter, and small salads. The dragon takes a sip of his drink and gives a rumble of approval before getting some bread and eating his salad. As they get close to finishing the salad a platter of roasted meat with a side of vegetables, potatoes, and a bowl of additional sauce is set down along with a basket of circular bread-like items as the empty bowls are whisked away.

"Today is roasted mountain boar with a honey and spiced herb glaze. The sauce is a reduction made with the glaze and some summer wine." The server bows again before leaving them to their meal, only returning to refill their drinks or bring more of the round bread.

Lan eyes the food appreciatively and breaks off chunks of the round bread to scoop up and eat the food directly from the platter as they are not given individual plates. He hums faintly at the taste and seems to thoroughly enjoy the fare. After a few bites though he glances at the other in curiosity as he, with surprising delicacy, licks a finger clean. "You're not allergic to anything are you?"

René didn’t fail to notice the way the townspeople seemed to keep their distance from the dragon, or the curious glances being shot in his direction. It was both peculiar and a little unsettling, considering René had never felt comfortable being the center of attention. Usually he wasn’t. Where he came from he was often overlooked or ignored, and René was perfectly fine with that. Awkward as he was, making small talk or casual conversation wasn’t exactly his strong suit. So he was glad at least that no one deigned to approach them. He made sure to stick close to Lan, sometimes even to the point of holding on to his cloak to make sure that he wouldn’t get lost in the masses.

All the while his gaze wandered across the various stalls with great curiosity. Fruit of sizes unparalleled by anything grown on the Aerie, nuts, pies, cakes and pastries. Some stalls sold clothing of peculiar designs, and some had what looked like handmade jewelry on offer. Some stall’s merchandise was so strange that René couldn’t quite figure out what they were for and yet he found himself fascinated by it all. Time passed far too quickly, and before long the dragon announced that they should eat.

The restaurant he’d picked out seemed nice enough, although he was hardly one to judge. As his families’ estate resided in the countryside, René’s experience with restaurants was fairly limited. He could count on one hand the times he’d been to the capital, and although there were places to eat out in the small town nearby, these consisted mostly of bars. There the priority usually was to get drunk and not the food.

Upon being asked what he’d like to drink, René came to realized that he didn’t even know what was on offer. So he decided to settle for the safest option. ”Just water’s fine, please..” Even as he said it he avoided looking the waiter in the eyes, nervously fidgeting with the sleeve of his coat.

The food served looked and smelled absolutely delicious, and despite that he hadn’t felt all too hungry when they got there, René could feel his mouth water at the mere sight of it. There was only one problem. It was strange enough that they weren’t given separate plates, but as he glanced around the table in mild confusion, he realized that something else was missing as well. Where was the cutlery? How was he supposed to eat if there were no knives or forks? He was just about to ask, his eyebrows knitting into a frown, when Lan answered the question for him. René’s jaw dropped as the dragon tore off some bread and scooping up the food with it. How to eat was clear enough. That didn’t make it any less weird. If his mother had seen this… well, René didn’t even want to think about it. She was very strict with manners. Eating with your hands was unhygienic, and René found himself reluctant to follow suit. Lan must have noticed, because the question that followed made was sensible enough.

”No, I don’t think so...” René said with a slight shake of his head, seeming a bit weary. Even so he didn’t want to seem rude, so he followed the others example and tore off a piece of bread. Before the dragon had any time to question is odd behavior, René decided to change the subject. There was something that had been bothering him for a while. Ever since they had left the spider woman’s shop, really.

”I-I have a question… uhm…” he paused and there was a clear look of hesitation in his eyes. ”It’s about what the lady in the shop said. Is it not...well…” his gaze dropped down to his lap, color rising to his cheeks. ”Is it not considered indecent for people of the same gender to have that kind of relationship?” Where he came from, no one would have spoken so openly about it, much less making it the subject of a joke. It wasn’t funny. In fact, it was a crime, and if it got out one could get in serious trouble for it. ”Or did she perhaps mistake me for a girl?” He added, deciding that this was the only logical explanation.

Lan notices the other's hesitancy to start eating, but doesn't comment on it since he begins to eat. With that underway, the dragon settles back to enjoy his meal, but pauses when the other speaks up. Hearing the question, Lan finishes the bite he's working on and lightly licks his fingers clean before speaking. "I am not sure what you mean by 'indecent', but it is not a taboo and is fairly common." He gives a slow shrug while taking a mouthful of his drink at the follow-up question.

"I sincerely doubt that. While you are a pretty one, we are not so easily tricked. Besides," Lan continues in a nonchalant tone as he tears another piece of flatbread to get more food. "she knows that I'm more interested in male companionship." This bit of information with an ease that clearly speaks of not only self-confidence, but a knowledge that it is not something to be overly concerned with. The dragon pauses, and looks at the other curiously as a thought occurs to him. "Is it not the same where you are from?" The thought that others would so needlessly concern themselves with another's intimate preferences strikes him as most peculiar.

After the meal is consumed, Lan slowly finishes his drink before standing and gestures for the other to do the same. "I am growing increasingly concerned about what I am learning about your kind, but suppose it is no surprise since they tend to isolate themselves amongst the clouds. Such is not the natural order, but I am no deity to make such judgments." He comments easily while leading René to the sweet shop, payment left on the table though not in a form that the other would recognize. "Go find something for yourself." He waves the other away to allow him to look through the shop on his own before going to a shop a little ways down. After a quick trip in, the dragon goes back to gather his charge.

"Now then, I think perhaps a few more stops for you and then it best we head back. After all, powers be only know how much trouble your clumsy nature will get us into if given the chance." He tosses out dryly while leading the other further yet into the town. They stop first at ta place to get the other another pair of shoes, then measurements taken for a few sets of clothes. While René is trapped by the arachnid measuring him, Lan takes the opportunity to question the other. "Now then, what are your interests? Surely you like doing more than falling from the sky or into mud puddles."

To hear Lan approach the subject so casually came as a slight shock to René. The thought that anyone would treat it as a non-issue was so utterly alien to him that it had seemed near unthinkable. And yet there he was, telling him that not only it not only wasn’t a taboo, but also that it was fairly common. Not only that, but he even openly admitted to having a preference in men himself – in a public space where just about anyone could hear him. Raising his head, he gazed upon Lan with both uncertainty and respect, slowly shaking his head in response to the dragon’s question.

No, it wasn't. It wasn’t like that at all. René wanted to tell Lan as much, but the words got stuck in his throat. His gaze dropped again, and he used the bread to scoop up some of the sauce and meat, sliding it into his mouth. Once he’d finished chewing and swallowed, he spoke softly.

”My people consider it a sin, as it strides against the will of God. Yet I… I…” he trailed off, shaking his head. His hands slowly curled into fists, his heart racing though he wasn’t sure why. Perhaps because this was the first time he felt like he could openly talk about it. It was exciting, and a bit scary all the same. ”It never made much sense to me since… it’s not like you can just pick and choose what sort of people you feel attracted to. So…” he nervously wrung his hands together, his voice wavering slightly. His gaze was becoming blurry, and for a brief moment it actually seemed like he was going to cry. Shutting his eyes he took a deep breath, gulping down his tears along with the water he’d ordered. The remained of the meal René spent in relative silence, not quite trusting himself to speak. Although the food was good – some of the best he’d ever had, he couldn’t bring himself to eat much more of it. His mind was reeling with everything Lan had told him.

René’s lips curled into a sad smile upon Lan’s remark about his people. According to legend, man had taken to the heaven’s in an attempt to escape the demons that ruled the earth. How much of that was true, René couldn’t tell. Thus far he had not encountered a single one of the rumored demons, unless the scriptures were referring to Lan, the arachnid and the like. Well, René knew better than to blindly believe every fairy tale he was told.

”Life amongst the clouds is not that bad.” He said, and it was true. For all the negative things he had to say about the way his society functioned, there was an equal amount of good. It was still his home, after all.

The thought of whether the dragon had ushered René off to the sweets shop in an attempt to cheer him but did strike him. He couldn’t be too sure, but either way it managed to distract him from the things he didn’t want to be thinking about. The youth appreciated that. Holding on to his sweets of choice – a small bag of chocolate truffles, he allowed himself to be dragged off to the next stop. Yet his earlier excitement wasn’t quite there. At this point he was tired – exhausted even, and he was glad when Lan told him they wouldn’t be taking much longer.

Getting measured at the tailor’s was at least something he was familiar with, even if having it done by a huge spider person was odd to say the least. Although, at this point he was too tired to even question it. He almost felt as he was in some sort of daze. Only when Lan spoke to him was he brought back to reality, blinking before glancing up to look at the dragon.

”I like to read,” he said softly, ”anything, really, but academic works interest me the most. Mathemathics and science in particular…” he paused briefly before adding. ”I wish to become a doctor in the future.”

Lan looks at the other as René starts to break down when talking about his home. "Well I have yet to hear anything good about the place." He mutters when the smaller male gives a small defense to his home. While the shops, the sweets in particular, hadn't been meant as a distraction or comfort to the other it at least eased some of the tension the dragon felt when it worked in getting the other slightly distracted at least. He is a dragon and who has ever heard of a dragon offering comfort? This of course makes him all the more prickly and irritated due to not knowing how to take care of his charge, which is picked up by the other beings they visit.

Noticing the dragon's mood the others are soft, placating and mindful of not drawing his ire. Which almost causes a tick in the dragon because in turn he can taste their unease in addition to René's change in mood. Hearing the others preference causes the dragon to wrinkly his nose slightly as he gives a light sniff. "I see. Well I can't say I have much about Maths, but I'm sure there's plenty else to interest you if you just want to read." Despite it not being the most impressive part of his hoard, the dragon does enjoy literature and so has a mini-library that he adds to now and then.

Once René is done being measured, Lan and the arachnid discuss payment and when the order will be ready. That done, he turns and leaves the store clearly expecting the other to follow. "Now then. Time to head back." He mutters having had more than enough interaction with others for awhile. Despite his eagerness to get home, the dragon is still mindful to make sure that the other is near him and doesn't get separated. Once back in the clearing, he immediately shifts and gathers the other up to head back to the cave.

He lands on the mountainside, and sets the other down. "Now, lets get inside and get something warm to drink." Tail flicking behind him, he marches back into his home letting out a soft relieved sigh once through the entryway. He heads to the kitchen, shifting as he goes, to get the items prepped and going so it'll be ready by the time he's done showing the other to the library. "Now then, follow me and don't wander." The dragon growls in warning with narrowed gaze before turning and leading the other deeper into the cave system.

They follow the main tunnel to a large set of doors that are likely big enough for Lan to fit through even as a dragon. Pushing on one reveals a more human-sized door which he steps through. "Now then, I'm sure there's an order of some sort but I'm not sure it's one you'd find any help with. Still, feel free to browse and borrow whatever catches your interest. Just be sure to return it once your done." He waves a hand and the cavern, which would be a bit of a tight fit for Lan as a dragon, is filled with shelves made of both wood and stone that seem to grow into the stone walls in addition to various bookcases on the floor itself. Again there are various reading nooks tucked in assortment of places. However, it is clear that there is no particular system for how the books, scrolls, and the like are organized. If organization can even be used in reference to the way the items are stacked, piled, and shoved into any place they'll fit or as stacks on various surfaces if not.

It would have been a lie to claim that René didn’t feel relieved to be back at the dragon’s abode. The place was large, mysterious and just a little bit intimidating, but at least it was quiet and peaceful. As exciting as the trip to the town had been, he now felt utterly exhausted and wanted nothing more than some time to himself. He needed to process everything he had seen and experienced – including his conversation with Lan. Furthermore, there was only so much human (and non-human) interaction he could handle in a day.

When the dragon suggested they get something warm to drink, he nodded his head a little in agreement, following Lan into the kitchen. He realized that he was acting a bit like a lost puppy and… he kind of felt like one too. This world was strange. Its inhabitants were strange too. They ate with their hands and didn’t use proper forms of address. There were spider women, dwarves, elves and cat people – just to name a few… and yet thus far René had not met a single human being. Lan lived in a cave and his bath was a spring. Their clothes were strange too. And their accents. And… it was all just so weird.

Realizing that he’d been spacing out again when the dragon told him to follow, he blinked and glanced up before quickly nodding his head. ”Y-yes, s-” remembering how Lan had wrinkled up his nose at being called ’sir’, René cut himself off once more, hastily following the dragon through the cave. He wondered how big this place really was, and whether it was possible to get lost. The answer to that was probably yes, but with how much the dragon kept reminding him not to wander he didn’t really think the other would give him the opportunity to do so.

At least René’s mood seemed to light up at the sight of the library. In terms of size and most likely collection it was nothing compared to the library found at the academy, and the entire room was a complete and utter mess. Even so, René’s eyes seemed to shine. The scent of leatherbound volumes and old parchment was heavy in the air and he couldn’t wait to get started browsing through them. For the first time since he’d gotten there, René felt at least remotely at home.

”Understood…” He breathed, glancing around in pure wonder. Heading over to one of the shelves, he gently, almost lovingly ran his slender fingers down the spine of a particularly large leather bound volume. Then he swirled around to face the dragon, bowing his head as he placed his hand on his chest. ”There are not words enough to express the gratitude I feel. For saving my life, and for caring for me so kindly. Without you I would be completely and utterly lost. The only shame I feel is for my inability to pay you back…” he paused briefly before raising his head, meeting the dragon’s gaze. ”So if there’s anything I can do for you – anything at all. Even if it’s something as simple as helping out with household chores… please don’t hesitate to ask.”

Lan jerks in surprise at the formality exhibits and has to fight back his response to what sounds like a pledge. "Carefully Pretty. Words like that can be taken as a pledge and those are serious things here." He husks back shifting while looking away. It almost seems as if the other would be flushed if he could be. Clearing his throat he looks back at his odd guest. "For now, enjoy what you may find in here, though I have no system in place despite having been meaning to make one for years." Lan waves a dismissive hand to indicate the entire area.

Shifting his gaze roams over the room with a warmth and possessive gaze. "For now just find a book and come back to the front. Food and drink have no place here for one, but also it is not the best to get rest as it can get fairly cold in here." He waits for the other to pick a book then leads the way back when a thought occurs to him. "Did you check the other springs? I hope you didn't only bathe in the cooler one." He gives a side-eye to the other.

"There's a another spring in the adjacent room that you get to if you follow along the wall past the first spring that's a naturally occurring hot spring." In addition to being fairly large, it was also nice and hot. The dragon enjoys it immensely. They reach the kitchen where the kettle is whistling and the dragon pours the liquid into two chalices that look as though they might be made of red gold with engravings. "Here, try this." Lan hands the goblet to the smaller male which has a spiced mead in it. It is not the same as the drink he'd had while out, but it an at home favorite of the dragon.

Drink made and passed along the dragon drinks his own as they head back to the main cavern, unmindful of the scalding temperature of the drink. Once back in the main room he checks the fire which he gives a little boost. Taking in a breath he opens his mouth and releases a large jet of flame that causes the fire to flare up which heats the room up quickly to a nice comfortable level.

René blinked at the dragon’s reaction. He hadn’t meant to do anything weird – he only wished to express his gratitude, and perhaps his own frustration for feeling kind of useless. It was true that he had been very grand and formal about it, but that was simply the way he had been taught to speak. It was hardly something for Lan to get embarrassed over and yet… that almost seemed to be the case. Perhaps it was only René’s imagination, yet he still couldn’t help but feel a small sense of satisfaction for having thrown the dragon off guard. The slight smile on his lips as he turned his back on the dragon to take out the large leather bound volume revealed as much. The book was heavy, and he held it against his chest to ensure that he wouldn’t drop it. Like that, he followed the dragon back to the kitchen.

”I’d be happy to help you sort it out, as I have always enjoyed organizing things.” He announced, and he meant it. There, that was something he could do. Even René wouldn’t mess that up. In fact, he was pretty good at it.

Upon being asked whether he’d only used the cooler spring, the blush that spread across his cheeks was all-telling. He turned his face to the side, as if trying to escape the one eyed sideways glance.

”It wasn’t cold,” he tried to argue, ”so it should have sufficed…” Either way René wasn’t going back into any hot spring anytime soon – hot or cold. His experience this morning had been enough of a shock and he wasn’t sure he was ready to go through that again. The mere thought made him feel ill at ease. Luckily the goblet being thrust into his hands was enough to distract him from it – at least for the time being. Giving the drink a curious whiff, he brought the goblet to his lips only the hesitate as he felt the heat radiate off the contents. If he drank it now, he’d be sure to burn himself, so it was probably a better idea to wait a bit. Lan seemed to be doing just fine, but he was a dragon, after all…

René was reminded of that fact when Lan decided to raise the temperature in the cave by breathing fire into the pit. Eyes wide, he glanced between the dragon and the fire in pure fascination.

”How did you do that?” He asked, unable to conceal the eager and excitment in his voice.

At the other's offer to organize his library, the dragon stops to tilt his head to one side in thought, before slowly nodding. "Yes. That would be acceptable. And much more appropriately put." He mutters the final bit as he continues walking. It's clear that some things are going to have to be made transparently clear to the sky dweller as the other might just pledge himself away far too easily with that manner of speech of his.

When suddenly asked a question after merely tending to the fire, he stares the other in confusion before it changes to clearly wondering if the other was mentally broken. Slowly, he responds while still having a confused look. "I... am a... dragon." The words are slowly spoken as if not wanting to risk speaking too fast for the other. Straightening the dragon shakes his head slightly in complete bemusement. "Do your people know nothing of those of us that live on the land? " He asks before frowning slightly as a faint thought niggles at him.

"Or..." Lan starts slowly, this time more of as though trying to get his thoughts in order. "Are you asking more of the technical workings of it? No matter how or what you ask though, the answer is simply because I am dragon." He shrugs while falling with an usual grace, not so much as spilling a drop of liquid as he does so, onto a piled set of pillows. "Granted, not all dragons breathe fire. That would be..." He waves a hand as though searching for a suitable phrase. "limited? Species-ist? However you want to put it, it wouldn't be wise to think all dragons are the same in short. There are differences within dragons and those differences means a difference in abilities as well."

René arched an eyebrow at Lan’s response. Yes, he got that the other was a dragon. He also understood that this was why he had been capable of breathing fire. That still didn’t explain how he had done it. What René wanted to know was what made him capable of breathing fire in the first place. The technical workings of it, as Lan so nicely put it a moment later. Even so, his answer was less than satisfactory.

”I see,” he said, tilting his head slightly to the side, ”So it is a trait limited to certain species within the dragon family. Much like how not all birds are capable of flight, correct? Although that still does not answer my question…” he huffed slightly, sitting down on his blanket from the night before, setting down the book beside him. ”Could it be that you don’t actually know how it works?” He glanced up to meet the dragon’s gaze. It would make sense. Most people didn’t question why they could walk upright or speak, yet they knew they could. For a dragon to whom breathing fire came as naturally as that, questioning the inner workings of it may never have been relevant.

”Well, it hardly matters. I was merely curious,” he gave a light shrug of his shoulders, glancing down at the drink in his hand. Deciding that it had cooled down enough by then, he brought it to his lips and took a small sip. A hot sweetness filled his mouth, and though the beverage was clearly alcoholic, it wasn’t quite like anything René had tried before. He was used to the wines served at family dinners, and he’d tried different kinds of beer and whisky (neither of which he particularly liked), but this was different. It was good, and the way his face seemed to light up as he drank of it revealed as much.

”Are there many different dragon species?” He asked curiously, setting down his cup as to make sure that he didn’t gobble it down all too quickly. If possible he wanted to avoid getting drunk.

Lan wrinkles his nose at dragons being compared to birds, he's snapped them up as snacks even, but allows the other to work through his thoughts. "It is not at though we need to know the specifics." He huffs at the other pointedly, confirming the other's thoughts that dragons haven't had a need to exactly study the specifics of their fire. "The essence, if you will, however is that dragons have a fire within them. This is the 'source' of their fire and, in a way I suppose, their 'core' of being dragon." He gives a rolling shrug. "Basically we have an eternal fire contained within."

For him it is that simple. He is dragon, and for him that means fire and air. All he need do is will it and so shall it be. At the next question Lan tilts his head ponderously while looking up towards the ceiling of the cave. "I would not say many. As a whole there are few of us compared to others, but it is a way of balance I suppose. There are also 'cousins' if you will that are not dragon, but your kind might mistake them as one." His tone carries a strong hint that this is considered a grave insult. "However, as far as true dragons there are those like myself that are of fire and air. Then you have those that are of water, some of earth... There are several different types of dragons but those of fire and water are of the largest number."

He spots the other setting the goblet down. "Be mindful to not let it get cold. It is not nearly as tasty that way, though if it gets to be too much I shall finish it for you." It can be fairly potent and for someone of René's size and such it might be too strong. "Now, what about where your from? How many 'species' are there?" It is only fair, he figures, that the other share information in turn. Although the dragon is also just curious about the places he has spotted but never bothered to investigate.

René slowly nodded his head. This core interested him. He wondered how it was possible for the body of the dragon to maintain it without taking damage, and how the flame could be maintained without air or fuel – yet he supposed that the ’eternal’ part of its name took care of that. Magic was most definitely involved, in the same way that it definitely was involved with the shape shifting. Speaking of which – that was another good question.

”Are all dragons capable of taking a human-like form like you do? Or is this too limited to specific species? Or is it just a Lan thing?” He asked, a slight smile tugging at the corners of his lips. ”I have never heard of dragons shape shifting before. Naturally, our records are fairly lacking so my knowledge would be limited.”

Upon being told that there weren’t too many different dragon species but quite a few distant relatives of sorts, he took a moment to ponder the matter, taking another sip of his drink as he did so. ”Hmm… do you mean wyverns, cockatrices, sea serpents and the like?” He asked, recalling what he’d read in one of the beastiaries at the academy. If he remembered correctly, wyverns tended to be mistaken for dragons quite often, yet they were actually considerably smaller, two legged, lived in groups and possessed a more animal like intellect and pattern of behavior.

”Understood,” René said in response to Lan’s warning about not letting it get cold. It was warm where he was seated near the fire, so he hardly felt like he had to worry about that happening anytime soon, but it was still a good thing to keep in mind. So was the dragon’s offer to finish it for him if he felt like it was too much. René hadn’t noticed, but his cheeks were already becoming a rosier color, and it took him just a tiny bit longer than usual to process the dragon’s question.

”Of mankind? There is only one human species to be found up there – homosapiens. Historically speaking there may have been others, but they all either went extinct a long time ago or merged with the modern human.” Then he paused, remembering something. ”Although I saw some dwarves and elves when we were in town. It would not surprise me if we are somewhat distantly related, in the same way that house cats and lions share a family resemblance.” In terms of physical features, it made a lot of sense.

At the question and a bit of the cheekiness tossed in, Lan lets out a pleased laugh. "It is, unfortunately, not just a 'Lan thing'. All dragons are capable of changing shape but not all choose to do so. Though that said, our lesser cousins are not able to." That should be fairly obvious but one never knows. "Some are capable of speech, but those tend to be fairly rare." He gives a bit of a shrug.

At René's observation, the dragon nods. "Yes. Much as wyverns tend to be confused for dragons by those who don't know better, sea serpents are the water dragons counterpart often confused for it." Although there are some more blurred lines with those ones. Much like the element they reside in, lines often blur or become faded if they even exist at all. "Although our lesser cousins are more likely to initiate a confrontation or attack without provocation than dragons." For him the confusion is a mildly annoying matter and not worth much time or thought. After all, should he come across a wyvern or its clutch, there would be no contest as to who would be fleeing from whom.

At the other's comment of relation between the sky dwellers, Elves and Dwarves, Lan lets out a loud and long long. "Oh, oh pretty... As hilarious as that image is, it would be best if you never said that in front of either party." He continues to snicker as he imagines the looks of horror and disgust that would appear on the beings' faces if they had heard that comment. The snickers slowly die off with a contented sigh as the dragon hadn't laughed that hard in quite some time.

Once he has calmed down, the dragon tilts his head in thoughtful confusion. "Really? Only one race? That has to be quite.... bland." Boring even. And surprising. After all this time one would think that at least a few others would exist, but perhaps there isn't enough living area and resources to support more than one dominant race. That would make a certain amount of sense.

”I see…” René mused, thoughtfully tapping his chin. ”Well, I suppose that makes sense. Even if one of my kind were to meet a dragon in their human-like form, I doubt they would recognize them for what they are. Not without being told or shown that this is the case. Considering how limited the interaction between our respective species tends to be, the fact that none willing to share their knowledge have observed this phenomena hardly comes as a surprise.”

He listened attentively as the dragon told him about his so called lesser cousins, almost wishing he had brought something along to take notes. Most of it wasn’t exactly new information, but to read something in a book and getting it straight from the horse’s mouth, so the speak, was quite different. There was always a chance that something new would be uncovered as they spoke.

René’s face flushed bright red as the dragon burst out laughing in response to his speculation.”T-their dislike for the idea does not make it any less of a valid hypothesis! Granted, it is just that. Nothing I can prove…” he trailed off, making a mental note to himself never to voice that theory in front of elves and dwarves. Gazing down into his cup, he nodded his head in response to Lan’s question before taking another sip. He knew he should probably slow down, but he liked the taste of it and the way it was making him feel all warm and fuzzy. Besides, he didn’t want to risk it getting cold.

”Oh!” He exclaimed as if suddenly remembering something, ”There’s the hidden folk, but since they’re exactly that most tend to dismiss them as mere stories and myths. Especially in recent years. Our housekeeper always puts out porridge and other foods to keep the house spirits happy.”

Lan tilts his head as René talks aloud about his people not recognizing dragons in human form. "Really? Well, I suppose unless you can sense magick or see us without clothing on it would be difficult to notice." Though his tone clearly indicates how doubtful he is about that. Still, he does recognize the usefulness of being able to blend in. Besides, what is the likelihood that a dragon will be put in such a situation? Not likely at all. The dragon internally scoffs before refocusing on the other.

"Oh pretty, you just keep telling yourself that." Lan drolls with a lazy amused smile. "Still, it was a very real recommendation for your own safety. Dwarves and Elves are enemies and would most likely kill you on the spot for such a comment." He lightly chides before finishing off his drink and set the large cup down. Leaning back he listens to the others tales of the so called "hidden folk" which causes him to huff and raise his eyebrows in surprise.

"It almost sounds like some of the beings down here. More of the Fae though, such as brownies and maybe pixies. Perhaps some of the smaller faeries. Though none here leave out offerings for them, but spirits and beings that keep homes and hearth well and tended are known down here. They aren't seen too often though." The dragon wonders if perhaps they left to live among the sky dwellers. And why not if they were being offerings and the like?

Lan suddenly squints at the other. "Hmm, perhaps I gave you too much of that. I'd better go get you some food to help soak that up." He stands and heads to the kitchen to get some bread, cheese, and fruit as well as water. He returns a short time later and shoves the tray at the other. "Eat."

René seemed a bit dumbfounded by Lan’s evident doubt, although decided to let it go. At least for the time being. His eyebrows knitted into a small frown. ”How silly,” he said, ”to kill someone for such a dumb reason. Nevertheless, your warning has been duly noted. I will be mindful of voicing any such ideas in the presence of dwarves and elves.” He said it with a dramatically serious expression, giving a solemn nod of his head. Yet barely had he finished the sentence, and already his face cracked into a grin, a soft giggle slipping past his lips. Why was he giggling? He wasn’t quite sure, but he seemed to be in a jolly good mood.

He nodded his head in an almost eager fashion as Lan pointed out that what he’d described sounded a lot like the fae. ”Yes exactly, but it's safer not to call them by name, unless you want to risk upsetting them. And you don’t. Some of them are benign but others can be terribly wicked when angered.” He paused for a moment, appearing thoughtful. ”There’s definitely brownies and hobs, like the hairy little man who lives in the oven. But then there’s also creatures like the neck who resides by rivers and creaks. Sometimes he takes the form of a white horse and lures people onto his back to drown them, but usually he takes the form of a beautiful young man, capable of playing the fiddle like no other. Oh, and there’s the lantern men who draw people into the woods at night, to die in the reed. Or the muse who leads artists and poets to ruin…” he trailed off, realizing that he was rambling. Perhaps he’d indeed had a bit too much of that spiced mead. Not that René seemed to have realized it quite yet.

”I feel fine!” He said, a little defensively, although it can’t have been particularly convincing because moments later he had a tray with food shoved at him. Blinking, he glanced between the tray and Lan before picking up some graped, tenderly pushing them between his lips. As he chewed he glanced up again, his jade green gaze locked on Lan as he stared in silence. Only once he’d swallowed did he speak, his lips curling into a warm smile.

”You know… you keep calling me pretty but you’re actually kind of pretty yourself. Your hair’s all long and flowy…” he reached out with his hands towards Lan, even though seated where he was on the floor there was no chance he could even come remotely close to touching him. Grasping air, he allowed it to fall back to his side again. ”You’ll have to let me brush it sometime. Don’t worry, I know what I’m doing. I used to brush my brother’s hair all the time. It’s long and flowy too…”

Lan raises an eyebrow. "Silly is it? Can you say that your own don't have their own perceived insults they wouldn't kill over?" He challenges back before frowning as the other starts to giggle. Deciding to keep a closer eye on the other, the dragon leaves the other to eat and see if the food and water helps sober the other up. Though he makes a mental note to give the other a much smaller portion next time, or at least a diluted drink perhaps.

The dragon almost feels as though his spines are rising when the other engages in direct eye contact and smiles at him. He's not in danger or being threatened, but the unusual reaction is enough to raise his guard. At least, it was until the other started to speak. When René reaches out to him and then starts telling Lan, a dragon, that it is he who is 'pretty' and 'flowy' well, the dragon just stares at the other dumbfounded. "You... want to... brush my hair?" He asks slowly as if the very thought is alien to him. Which, in all honesty, it kind of is. Short of when he was growing up and his mother brushed his hair.

Another part of Lan feels conflicted about being called pretty. It seems to both stroke his ego and jab at it at the same time. Having never been called pretty before the dragon is at a bit of a loss as to how to respond to the... compliment?

"That is enough for you I think." He says finally in a dry tone while getting up to take away the other's spiced drink. Taking it in hand he holds it over the flames to warm it up some more before drinking what is left. "Finish your food and then we'll get you cleaned up to head to bed."

René took a moment to consider the dragon’s question, a small frown creasing his forehead. He had never thought about it like that, yet there was some truth to the dragon’s statement. ”I believe you would be hard pressed to find an insult that is sure to get you killed on the spot. Even so, words and actions do naturally have consequences, and depending on whom you choose to insult, these can range between various degrees of severity…” He trailed off, beginning to nibble on some cheese as he considered whether there was anything anything more worth adding. ”It all depends on circumstances, I suppose. It seems to me that no matter where you go, people are rediculous.”

The dragon’s obvious confusion at his request amused René, his smile widening as he eagerly nodded his head. ”Have you never had anyone do it for you?” He asked softly, tilting his head a little to the said. ”It feels nice. If done right, that is. One of our serving maids was terribly bad at it. She used to pull and tear until the knots came out. It was very unpleasant.” He scowled at the memory, shaking his head as he grabbed some bread and ate that too. Although he was still clearly drunk, it seemed like he was beginning to sober up slightly, at least.

He didn’t protest when Lan took the drink away, but at the mention of washing up he froze, color draining from his face. His heart sunk, and inexplicable fear beginning to rise within him. Not because he didn’t understand why he felt it, but rather because he himself realized that it was irrational. He knew there was no way he would drown in the well, and yet the more thought was enough to make him feel sick.

”I-I’m not going back into the well!” He announced, with a stubborn finality to his words. ”I’m not going into any well or spring or anything of the sort…” René added, remembering Lan’s mention of the naturally occuring hot spring in the other room.

At the next question directed towards his hair, the dragon tosses his head back before shaking in the negative. "Not since I was a child. Dragons are not particularly social creatures. So I will have to take your word for it." He comments idly while watching the other live through an unpleasant memory. "Though from your expression I gather that the unpleasant memories stand out nearly as much as the good ones." Lan gives a faint grin as he lightly prods at the other.

When the other refuses to get in the springs, however, the grin turns into a scowl. "You will not stay here and not bathe. I will not tolerate a smelly guest." He huffs guessing at the other's reasons for the kneejerk reaction. "If it will calm you, I shall bathe with you so that it is not so terrifying a prospect." Standing up he mutters under his breath before downing the rest of the drink. "One would think that a small pool is more terrifying than a fire breathing dragon."

Should others hear him, the dragon almost sounds to be sulking. Going over to the smaller male, Lan picks him up with ease and heads back towards the springs. The hot spring is actually about a third of the size of the main spring, though it does feed into it which helps keep the larger one a moderate temperature. Still, the hot one will be a little cozy for the two of them as it is about the size of a public bath, which the other can see for himself once in there. Well, he can once Lan lights the sconces. "See? It isn't even that deep. You can see the bottom." He waves a hand at the steaming water, which while fairly cloudy from the minerals and heat, does show hints of the bottom meaning it can't be more than perhaps 4 or 4 feet deep.

"Now then, no more complaining. Undress. Don't make me do it for you." The dragon warns while taking off his own. The body beneath the clothing soon reveals part of the reason for his earlier doubt about dragons passing as normal humans. There are a set of scales going along his spine, which for the moment are slightly hidden beneath his hair, but there also seems to be a sheen to his skin as though his other form is close to the surface and could be teased to the surface. Once undressed, the dragon steps into the water, which goes to about his waist, then settles on what seems to be a bench under the water as the water level stops below his shoulders. "Come on, the water doesn't bite. That's my job in case you've forgotten." He slowly calls out in a dry tone, his hair floating in the water around him.

René wasn’t sure whether bathing with Lan would help or just make it all worse – for entirely different reasons than his newly discovered fear of bathing. Yet before he even had any time to protest, the dragon had picked him up, carrying him towards the springs as though it was nothing.

”A-ah! Don’t you think that bathing twice a day is a bit excessive, though?” He tried to argue, figuring that this might work better than struggling. It was evident, after all, that the dragon was a lot stronger than he could ever hope to be. ”Once or twice a week would surely suffice, no?” Where René was from bathing on saturday evenings was the norm. Things were slightly different at the military academy, of course, due to all the physical exercise they were put through. Of course, René had skipped out on most of that. Not only because he didn’t enjoy it, but also because he dreaded what came after – showering with his fellow cadets. Now he found himself thrust into a situation that was similar, although perhaps not quite as terrible. At least Lan had been nice to him, and René didn’t think his intentions were bad, even if his methods were gruff.

He skeptically glanced between the hot spring and the dragon, his cheeks gaining in color as he was given the ultimatum to undress or have it done for him. His heart was racing, his hands quivering slightly as he pulled the purple tunic over his head, revealing his scrawny torso beneath. Uncertainly he glanced back at Lan, his breath catching in his throat.

He’s beautiful… Was the first thought that passed through his mind, but then he frowned, because that didn’t seem quite right. Handsome? While it was true that he had all the makings of a good looking man, the word didn’t quite seem to do his wild grace justice. Lan was mesmerizing to look at, and for just a brief moment he managed to forget about his fear. Yet then that moment passed, and he realized that he was staring again. Quickly he turned away, his face so flushed he could have passed for a tomato.

”Bloody hell...” he muttered under his breath, dropping the trousers before quickly moving over to the edge of the hotspring. And then he stopped. Swallowing hard, he hesitantly dipped a toe into the water, only to quickly withdraw it again. He crouched down, drawing his fingers across the surface. Yet no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t overcome that feeling of intense dread. He knew it was safe. He knew that his fear was irrational. And yet…

”I can’t,” he managed to squeak out, quickly shaking his head, ”I can’t do it. I don’t want to. Please don’t make me…” it was becoming increasingly difficult to breathe, and he knew the moment he stepped in there, he’d freak out again. ”Please don’t make me…”

Naturally the dragon caught the other staring at him, and inwardly preens a bit. After all, it would take a much lesser man than he to not enjoy such attention. When it comes to the other about to enter the water however, Lan merely watches the other impassively for a few moments. "I have not made you do anything. It is you who decides what will control you and what will not. Can't and won't are two very different things so you had best decide just which it is." He states flatly.

"For example, you can allow the one experience to potentially ruin endless opportunities you will come across here and thus give it control over your life. Or you can decide to not let it control you and find a way to conquer whatever it is you can't or won't do. However, I will not tolerate someone in my home who does not bathe regularly. That means daily or every other day. That is how long you have to make a choice." The verdict is delivered factually before Lan turns to his own bath.

First he pours some almost gel-like liquid into his hand which he uses to wash his hair, he has to dip his head under several times before it's fully washed. Next he pulls a sponge from somewhere he pours some liquid on it that causes a scent of cinnamon, vanilla, and perhaps a hint of ocean to waft through the room. Soon the sponge is covered in suds and the dragon begins to meticulously wash himself. Throughout it the suds and wash off seem to flow around the pool before slipping out of sight in a far corner.

Once done the dragon gets out and pulls a bottle from a shelf and begins to spread a cream through his hair with his fingers. After that he merely gathers up his clothes as his own body runs hot enough to where he's soon dry within moments. "I'll leave you to it then. You know my conditions for staying here and as such the time limit to decide." He glances at the other, pausing at the door way. "Good night and sleep well." With that he goes to his room to rest and allow the other to deal with his personal demons on his own.

René listened to the dragon’s verdict with a lump in his throat. He didn’t say anything, simply watching Lan washing himself in silence. In all honesty, René wasn’t sure which one it was. Technically there was nothing stopping him from stepping into the water. Technically he was capable of doing so. But that didn’t mean he could bring himself to take the deciding step. Perhaps there was a small part of him that hard, inwardly wished that the dragon would have made him do it. Yet he also knew that this desire was irrational. He couldn’t possibly expect the other to deal with his issues. He wanted the help he couldn’t ask for, and now he had to deal with the consequences of that. Alone, because the dragon had given him the ultimatum and left him to it.

Perhaps that was meant to be the push he so desperately felt he needed, an incentive to overcome his fear. Yet… now that Lan wasn’t there he definitely didn’t want to do it. What if he really did mess up somehow and didn’t manage to pull himself out of the water? No one would be there to save him.

He pursed his lips, glaring at the pond in silent contemplation. Well, he thought, standing up, I don’t need to bathe in order to get cleaned up. Picking up the sponge he wrung it out before before creeping back to the edge of the pond, taking a deep breath. Then he sat down, allowing his legs to slide into the water. Despite how warm the water was, a shiver traveled down his spine. He didn’t freak out, though, and after giving himself some time to get used to it he felt fine. Leaning down he dipped the sponge into the water, beginning to wash himself in much the same way the dragon had – only safely, on land. He even used a little of the strange but nice smelling gel, figuring that the dragon would have told him if he shouldn’t. He’d informed René about all the other things he could and couldn’t do, after all.

There was only one problem with doing it this way – René couldn’t wash his hair. Leaning over the edge to dip his head underwater seemed beyond stupid, and even more unsafe than to simply bathe like a normal person. Well, perhaps he didn't have to. Lan’s condition had been every or every other day, and considering René had already bathed in the morning – which had included his hair, so technically he wasn’t violating anything if he put it off until the morning. And then he could ask if the dragon had a small basin or something else he could use to pour water over himself. Problem solved!

Although, perhaps he felt just a little too proud of having found a way of avoiding his fears, rather than facing them. That was what he always did. Running away. Avoiding any form of confrontation – even when that confrontation was with himself. Fear is a terrible adviser, and despite knowing that, it was the one thing René generally ended up listening to. He was a coward and no matter how much he wanted to he couldn’t deny it. As he gazed down at his naked reflection in the water, it wasn’t pride he felt. It was shame. He had fallen off an airship, nearly drowned, been saved by a dragon and become a guest in his lair and yet he hadn't changed one bit. He was still the same spineless, scrawny, stupidly stubborn and selfish brat he’d always been. And what was worse – all day long he’d been spoiled with receiving the creature’s undivided attention. He’d gotten a taste of what it felt like to be noticed, and not by someone with ill intent. Now he wanted more, and it was making him act in ways he otherwise would never have. It was almost despicable.

Picking up a towel, he started to to dry himself. There was nothing else to wear, so he slipped his old clothes back on before heading back to the main area. Yet by then he had reached a decision.

Come morning, he would not ask the dragon for a basin. At the risk of being laughed at, he would instead ask Lan to hold his hand as he gave it another go. Because really – wasn't that what he had wanted all along?

Come morning Lan makes them a simple fair of porridge served with honey, oats, berries and other condiments to add into it or eat separately. Coffee and a kind of fruit juice is also provided. Part of him idly wonders what the other has decided to do, but for now will just see how things play out through the next day when the time is officially run out. Settling down in his customary spot, the dragon finally looks at the other male after taking his bowl with desired fixings.

As they eat Lan notices that the other is fidgeting and visibly nervous. He can smell the others increased anxiety, but that doesn't explain the flush the other has. Perhaps the sky dweller is ill? It wouldn't be a surprise considering the circumstances the dragon found the other. It all must be quite a shock to the smaller male's system. Even so, he wasn't expecting the request posed to him by René but gives a rolling shrug. "If that is what it takes for you, then that is fine. Despite my appearance I am not an unfeeling monster. Just let me know when you wish to do so."

Having been raised by the ocean and being too large to fully submerge in the waters here, the dragon doesn't understand the fear coming off of the other. Death is also something that he doesn't particularly fear, as most denizens here accept it as a natural part of life. That doesn't mean anyone is eager to greet Death, but neither do they live their lives dreading and fearing it. Still, it is clear that having the dragon hold his hand means much to the smaller and delicate male as he faces the waters again.

With that settled, they finish their meal and the dragon stretches languidly before speaking. "I will need to hunt today and possibly forage tomorrow to add to the food stock. We have plenty for now, but being prepared never hurts and the drying process is time consuming." The dragon plans on drying herbs and smoking some meat. The storms in the mountains can get even more vicious than even what caused René to fall off the airship and can last days. Though it is the winter time that is the bigger concern when it comes to food. Thankfully that is still a little ways off. "Do you want to go now, or after I return?"

Then dragon looks over at the other. At this point the ball is entirely in the other's court and René calls the shots with how fast and soon they progress.

• Saga locked this topic