Teach Me!! (Joyabe + BunBun)

BunBunTheCatSnake

14276664_700211026798635_1088157112_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTMzNTU5ODI2NzgwMjYzNzU4NA%3D%3D.2

Name: Everett Ryker

Height: 5'4

+The cold

+Skating

+When people recognize him from his years doing championships

Dislikes:

-His ex-boyfriend

-Spicey foods

-Takes mistakes too personally

Everett opened up the doors of the ice rink, and flipped a switch that made every light turn on section by section with a loud zap. He has a black sports bag that hung on his shoulder, and he started to slowly walk into the ice rink to prepare everything. Even after a year it was weird to be back at the Freezie's Ice Rink, and even weirder to be the instructor. If you asked him where his life would be, he would have never guessed that he would be back here of all places. There was a time when he was traveling the world as a figure skater, though he had to leave that all for personal reasons.

It took two hours to open the ice rink, and it would be another thirty minuets for the class to start. It would be any second that his class would wonder in, and he would get to do his favorite part of the day. Everette really enjoyed teaching the class; it was nice to think that there was a possibility of inspiring someone to follow his footsteps into figure skating. Maybe he should teach a ballet class too? The thought seemed fun to Everett, though maybe it would take some more thinking.

Everett sat on the ground and spread his legs, before he reached to touch his toes. Of course he was going to do a few stretches with his class, but what was the harm in getting some in right now?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BunBunTheCatSnake

• Joyabe

d7478c1d4158c2c804a53ec6c669b6ca--tokyo-ghoul-anime-guys.jpg

Name: Caleb Maxwell

Height: 5'11

-Sweets

-His sister and niece (only family that didn't cut ties with him after he came out)

-running

Dislikes:

-All and any house chores

-Showing his "ugly" vulnerable emotional side

-mornings

"Alright Mrs. Davis" Caleb told the elderly woman as he helped her to sit back up "good job today. There is a great improvement in the range of movement" he smiled at her "you keep walking every day for a little like I told you, okay?" he asked, as he helped her down from the examination table, and back into her wheelchair. "I will" she promised him, smiling warmly up to him. "Good. Then I'll see you in next week's session" he told her, as he called in a nurse to take Mrs. Davis back to her room.

After closing the door behind them, Caleb turned around, and went to sit behind his desk. He quickly opened Mrs. Davis' file on his computer and typed in his notes from their latest physical therapy session. He stretched in his chair and then, glancing at his watch and, seeing what time it was, got up. He took off the white coat, embroidered with a green logo that read "Silver Leaves Nursing Home" and hung it on hook next to the door. Making sure he didn't forget anything, he locked the door behind him, and headed to the exit, saying goodbye to patients and colleagues he met on his way out.

Truth be told, Caleb was glad that his job as a physical therapist in a nursing home allowed him to help his sister with taking care of her daughter- his niece. They were his family and he loved them more than anything in the world. However, he thought as he got to his car and started it, in all fairness he did have an ulterior motive that made him especially happy to be able to pick Olivia from her ice skating class.

Slowly the ice rink started to fill with his small little weekend class. There were only about twelve kids in the class, the oldest being twelve. The thing that Everett found sad about the small group of kids was that there was only one boy, and his mother told him that he was thinking of dropping the class because of the relentless bullying at school. Everett remembered those days well, and the bullying only got worst when he started to get into figure skating. He really hoped that he wouldn't drop the class, and if he did maybe he would bake him some cookies or something? Everett really couldn't stand bullies, and he actually grew quite fond of all the kids in his class.

"Okay kids," Everett said twirling on the ice so he could face the children. "You all did a fantastic job today. You guys are getting better each class, and I am so proud of you!" Everett said with a bright and happy smile, his eyes gleaming. "Next class I'm thinking we should glide, which is a little tricky at first but I have faith that you guys will be able to do it." Everett looked at a few of the waiting parents, before he looked back at the kids. "Oh, and before I forget; we're having a little lunch next week, so if you can bring something that'll be great. If not that's okay too, bringing yourself is just as amazing. Now you guys enjoy your Saturday. Stay safe!" All of the kids peeled themselves off of the rail, and stepped off the ice. A few in the back fell, but thankfully they learned how to get back up a few weeks ago so they did it without a fuss.

After the class was off the ice, Everett made his way to the carpet as well. He was going to stick around for a while, and maybe skate himself. Besides, he wanted to make sure all the kids got home safe. Everett moved to the benches to sit down, sitting next to Olivia. "You did great today Olivia," Everett said with a kind smile, leaning down to take off his skates so he could rest his feet just a little. "Is your uncle picking you up today?"

The young child looked at Everett, a hint of worry in her eyes "yes" she answered "but I don't know where he is…" her eyes dropped to the floor, only to shoot back up to the sound of the ice rink's doors slamming open "Sorry!" Caleb called as he dashed in "I'm late, I know" he said as he kneeled down to catch Olivia who ran to hug him. "Hi Liv-Liv" he hugged her as he stood again, this time holding her in his arms "How was your lesson?"

"It was good!" Olivia immediately smiled a wide smile at him "I only fell twice! And I got back up alone! And we have a lunch next week, so you need to tell mom to make something. But don't make anything yourself okay? Because nobody would eat it" she excitedly bombarded him with information. Caleb nodded, smiling at her proudly, until his cooking skills came up. "I know, I know" he told her rolling his eyes "I promise to stay out of the kitchen. Now go get your things from the locker rooms" he said as he put her down. His eyes followed her as she ran to the locker rooms, and then shifted to look at the man before him.

"I'm really sorry I'm late" he apologized to Everett again "I hope I'm not keeping you from any plans" he smiled at him. Truthfully, although he did felt bad about being late, Caleb was also a little happy to get some time alone with Everett without ten more parents around. Ever since he first picked Olivia from her ice skating class a few months back, the younger man caught his eye. Not only was he exactly his taste, but the more he saw of him, the more intrigued he got- he felt that there was something more about Everett, and he wanted to know more. 'But, well' he thought, 'it's not like I can just ask him out'. It could turn awkward really fast if he wasn't interested- seeing he was his niece's teacher and all. Caleb wasn't even sure if he was gay, and he thought making assumptions just because he was a figure skater was just straight out prejudiced. Still, something about Everett allured him, and he was determined to find out more about him. He had a plan and he was not about to back out.

"She really likes your classes, you know" Caleb said, putting his hands in his pockets "and that child is… opinionated" he laughed, thinking just how much like her mother she was "so it means you're a really good teacher. Did you ever think of giving private lessons?" he presented the idea as if it just came to his mind "because if you do, I can seriously use your help" he laughed again, but this time maintained eye contact with Everett, as to indicate he was expecting an answer.

Everett looked at Olivia sympathetically, and lightly rubbed her shoulder. He went to say that there was no need to worry and that he would be there really soon, but the words were taken right out of his mouth when Caleb came running into the building. A soft smile crossed his lips, one that he typically gave to all the parents and guardians. Everett found Caleb to be an interesting character; there wasn't a lot of people he knew that were so family orientated, and it felt nice that there were people like him still around. Everett looked up at the two as they talked, that soft smile quickly turning into an amused one. He looked down, and watched his toes flex before Caleb started to talk to him. He looked back up at him and shook his head, "it's really alright. Your sister told me that you work for a nursing home, so I completely understand." Everett took care of his grandmother when he was younger, so he could sympathize with how much work it went into. It actually warmed his heart that Caleb worked there... not a lot of people would.

Everett smiled and looked down modestly, when Caleb said Olivia thought he was a great teacher. "Oh... well... thank you. That actually means a lot. She talks a lot about you, so you must be a great uncle." Everett quickly complimented, as he started to put his skates back on. He peeked up at Caleb at the mention of teaching private lessons, and quickly looked back down in thought. "Hmm... I actually have never thought about that before." Everett admitted, resting his elbows on his knees after his skates were secured back on. "Excuse me, can I talk to you for a quick second?" Interrupted one of the moms, her small hand resting against Everett's arm. Everett looked up at her, "yes. One moment Cathy." Everett said softly, before looking at Caleb. "One moment. We'll discuss this in just a bit, alright?" Everett turned his attention towards Cathy, as she asked question after question about what she could and could not bring to the lunch in. After she was done talking, which took about five minuets, the class had cleared out leaving Caleb and Olivia.

Everett sighed and walked over to Caleb, his skates still on his feet. He was starting to worry about the blade, but he tried to push that thought back. "So, about the private lessons." Everett began, grabbing his hips with a smile. "I was actually thinking about it just a little, and I suppose... I'd be open to it. I really don't have anything else planned out, other than helping my mom with the old diner." His mom owned a little run down diner, that was like a small home to many of the people in the town. Everett didn't get out much after he stopped touring around the world, which depressed him just a little. Maybe picking something else up would be helpful? "So what days work best for you?"

Caleb was happy seeing that Everett was seriously thinking about his offer. He was afraid he might face more objections, and was already making arguments in his head in order to convince him. He waited for Everett to finish giving his answer, but before he could, he was disturbed. "Sure, no problem" Caleb smiled at him as he was pulled aside. 'Damn it Cathy' Caleb thought, and let out a quite sigh as he sat down on the bench the other man just got up from. He had a feeling this would take a while. Not long after, Olivia came back and sat next to him, telling him about her day. Caleb listened and reacted when needed, but internally, he was a little pissed about the momentum being ruined. 'How many questions does she have for crying out loud?' He thought as Cathy went on and on. Caleb held the general notion that kids were much more resilient than they were given credit for. Couldn't she just pick something?

He was pulled from this inner irritation when Everett came back towards him and started talking. Upon hearing the positive response, Caleb smiled widely at Everett. "Oh right, I forgot your family runs the diner" he told him, as Everett mentioned his other job "honestly every time I run by it I consider stopping and just coming in for pancakes instead" he laughed. "Now that I know you work there I might actually have to come. I feel like you out of skates is a rare sight" he said as his eyes flashed to the other man's feet, as if to make a point. He then stood up, taking Olivia's bag from her and putting it on his shoulder, while holding her hand "I'm free on weekends, and also most evenings, seeing that most of my patients end their day quite early" he said, a little excited about things turning out so well and starting to take shape "any of these works for you?" he asked Everett.

"By the way, you're a really big help" he told him quietly, leaning forward as if to not let the child beside him hear him "I've been starting to loose cool uncle points for this you know" he winked at Everett. "Oh and about payment" he said as he remembered that little matter "well, just say how much and how" he wanted to get that out of the way, thinking it might make Everett uncomfortable to bring up the subject himself.

The mention of his ice skates made him look down at his feet, and break into a smile. "It is pretty weird not wearing them." He said quickly, suddenly becoming all too aware of his skates, like one would when they think about blinking. His eyes shot back up to Caleb when he started talking about the days he was free. He was sure his mother wouldn't mind him having the day off, she was pretty laid back about those things. She knew Everett liked to occupy himself, so it wouldn't come as a shock that he's teaching someone privately. "I could probably do them right after I teach the kids on Saturday - I usually skate afterwards anyways - and Tuesdays." Everett said with a smile.

Everett took a step back when Caleb took a step forward, feeling a wave of panic rush over him. It wasn't until Caleb said he was losing 'cool uncle points' that Everett calmed down, a smile crossing his lips again. His brothers ten year old son thought it was so lame that he was a figure skater, until he realized that he was traveling the world because of it. Everett made sure to always mail him some foreign candy, a post card, and a toy from every place he visited. The talk of money brought Everett out of his thoughts, and his eyes flashed back up to Caleb, before they looked back down in thought. His hands ran through his teal hair in thought, "hmm... I guess we'll call it twenty a session?" He said, looking back up at him. "I teach these classes mainly because I love it, so money isn't a big deal to me." Everett said with a small shrug. He still worked at the diner, besides after what happened with his ex-boyfriend his mom was scared to let him live on his own.

Everett clearly backing away when Caleb got close to him confused him. He was even more confused when moments later he smiled at him as if nothing happened. Maybe his breath smelled bad? Or maybe Everett started regretting agreeing to his request, but was now just being polite because he felt obligated? Nonetheless, Caleb was not one to back down when he made up his mind, but he figured maybe having the ball in Everett's court would be a better idea. He hoped his face didn't show any of the disappointment he felt as he started talking. "Well, both of those work for me, so let's say Tuesday? I don't want to cut into your personal practice time" he said.

Hearing the price Everett offered he raised an eyebrow "that's quite a bargain, considering your reputation" he smirked, although he had to admit there was something endearing about Everett saying he was teaching because he loved it. "I'll tell you what, if you ever need a physical therapy session, a drink or an endless supply of butterscotch candy you come see me" he said, as his hand was sent to his satchel, pulling out a white card and a pen. On the card, the words 'Caleb Maxwell, DPT' were printed bellow the nursing home's logo, as well as his office number. He pulled the cap off his pen with his teeth and quickly wrote his cellphone number number on the back, feeling grateful for the first time that most of his patients were not very tach-savvy. He then handed the card to Everett "if anything changes let me know" he said, giving Everett, albeit reluctantly, a way out "you can also call if you want those butterscotch candy. Seriously, they just keep coming… I can probably start a business" he laughed. "Thanks again for today. I'm really looking forward to our lesson" he smiled at him warmly, as he grabbed Olivia's hand and then turned to head out of the ice rink.

Everett grabbed the card and quietly thanked him with a smile, as he put it into his black leather wallet. "Well, if you have an unlimited supply of butterscotch, then I guess your classes are free." Everett joked lightly, smiling ear to ear. Butterscotch anything was Everett's favorite, so it was funny that Caleb brought it up. His mother actually made a brilliant homemade butterscotch ice scream that he grew up on, though Caleb was probably sick of the taste. "I suppose I'll see you Tuesday, or before then if you stop by the diner." He said with a soft smile, before his eyes dropped to Olivia. "I'll see you next week as well. Have a nice day!" Everett said sweetly as he watched the two exit the rink. He let out a sigh that smile still on his lips. Caleb really did seem like a nice guy, though he was scared to see how his mother would react to him teaching him. His mother was and will always be over protective, and it only became worst after... him. Everett tried to shake the thought of his ex-lover out of his head, before he headed towards the ice to skate.

___

Everett was only at the ice rink for an hour longer, before he headed back home. His home was the top floor of the diner, where he grew up. Every little part of that diner had a story and a memory, and even the very smell reminded him of home. He entered through the door and sat down at the counter where his cousin Emily was taking the orders. It was a busy day, like any day at the diner, though it wasn't anything Emily couldn't handle. Emily was twenty-two, and was a beauty - she had long natural red hair that was always tied into a braid that hung off her shoulder. She had these beautiful green eyes, and had a few freckles that kissed her cheeks. "Hey Ev," She said before kissing the top of his head with a sigh. "I really wish you didn't dye your hair that ridiculous color. I really don't know what's wrong with red."

"A simple hello would have been good too, Em." Everette teased with a smile, lightly pulling the braid which made her squeal. "Everett!" She giggled, lightly socking his shoulder while he rolled her eyes. "Are you getting the usual?" She asked, putting her hands on her hips, her lush lips pulled into a smirk.

"Yeah. Mom makes the best pancakes." Everett said flashing his cousin a child like grin, which only made her groan.

"You are such a child," Emily teased before taking down the order and pinning it in the window.

It really felt great to be back home, though at the same time he missed the thrill of being in a new country and meeting new people. Though no matter how far he was he would always miss his moms pancakes; there was a sort of magic to them he just couldn't find anywhere else.

Caleb's good mood continued all afternoon and well into the evening. Everything went better than expected, minus this whole leaning back incident, but he decided to ignore it for now. He thought back about the new information he learned that day as he stood in his sister's kitchen, waiting for the microwave to finish heating his and Olivia's dinner, grateful for his sister for saving him from eating takeout again. Honestly, what twenty-something year old likes butterscotch? He thought as he smiled to himself and shook his head. Between that and the blue hair, he thought Everett would fit right in in his nursing home. It was kind of cute though, he thought to himself, smiling, as he took the plates out and placed them on the dining table. He was excited about their "date", wondering what new things about him he could learn.

It was already quite late when his sister came back from her shift in the hospital. Being a surgeon meant long hours and weird, sometimes unexpected, shifts, but Caleb was glad he could help her out. Caleb and his sister looked very much alike- she was five years older than him, had the same sandy-blonde hair, which she had styled in a sleek bob, and very similar features. The only difference was their eyes- while Caleb's were dark brown like his mother's, Charlotte had piercing blue eyes- courtesy of their father. She was probably the person he was most close to, and at the moment his only family. "Hi" she greeted him leaning over the back of the sofa he was sitting on, planting a kiss on his cheek "how's everything?". "Welcome home" he turned his head and smiled at her "how was work?" he asked as he watched her placing down her bag and taking off her coat "the usual. Feet Caleb" she swatted his legs that were stretched in front of him, his feet resting on the coffee table. He let out a small laugh, as he took his feet off, crossing his ankle over his knee instead.

Charlotte stopped for a second before sitting down next to him "listen" she said in a tone that made Caleb eye her suspiciously "you know it's mom's birthday this week right? And we're having this dinner on Tuesday. I think you should come" she told him, her expression serious, matching the tone of her voice. Caleb gritted his teeth, hearing those words. "You know I'm not welcomed there" he said in a quiet voice. "Caleb, that's not true. It's been three years and I'm sure mom would like to see you. This can be a good opportunity to…" she started to say, when Caleb cut her "not I'm not. And you know she would never do anything to defy him" he told her, feeling himself getting angrier as the conversation went along. "look, you and me both know how they feel about me, and I don't have any desire to go through that again. Besides I already have plans on Tuesday" he said, feeling his good mood from before completely disappear. Charlotte raised an eyebrow at him, as if doubting his credibility "I do. And I'm not going Char" Caleb said as he got up. "besides I'm sure me being there would ruin the celebratory atmosphere" he said sarcastically. "I'm gonna head home. I'll talk to you later" he said before turning and heading out, without waiting for a reply.

He sighed deeply as he closed the door behind him. He wanted to pretend he didn't care, but he was sure he would continue thinking about it for a few good days. Suddenly he was seeing Tuesday in a whole new light, not sure if he was anticipating it or wishing it would just pass already.

The diner started to quiet down around nine, which Everett was thankful for. His mother loved the old dingy diner, but sometimes he worried that she wasn't sleeping enough or that she put too much energy into it. She wasn't a spring chicken anymore, and like any good son he worried about that. Everett sipped his orange juice, and moved a little to the left to catch a glimpse of his mother. She was in the kitchen cooking the last meal of the evening, her graying red hair pulled into a hair net, as her intense grey eyes focused on what she was cooking. It wasn't until she was fininished and put it in the window for Emily, that she looked over at Everett with a smile. "You know you could help, Everett." She said as she rolled her eyes.

"I have been," Everett said, laying his head down on the counter. "Right Em?" Everett asked as he looked over at his cousin, who was walking to the sole person in the diner. She nodded, "He sure has Aunt Scarlet," She said as she put the food on the counter and asked if he needed anything else. When the man said he was fine she nodded and walked away, and sat on the stool next to Everett. "He helped me during the dinner and lunch rush. You were just too busy cooking to realize it."

Scarlet laughed and shook her head, "fine fine." She said as she waved her hand. She disappeared from the window to start cleaning the kitchen. The man was probably in the diner for twenty minuets, before he tipped Emily, paid his bill, and left. Emily turned the plastic open sign over so it would read close on the outside, before she closed the blinds. Closing the diner only took an hour with the three of them working on it. After they were finished Emily kissed Scarlet and Emmett's cheek, and left to her apartment just down the street. When Scarlet and Everett were left alone, she turned to her son and patted him on the back. "Let's go upstairs. I need to wash all this food off me." She said with a bright, albeit tired smile.

The two climbed up the stairs that were in the back of the restaurant, which led to a two bedroom living area. Everett grew up in this house, and up until his ice skating career never lived anywhere else. It was a little sad to think about it, and if he was being honest he couldn't wait to get his own place... but this place would always be home. "I'm tired, so I think I'm going to retire into my room," Everett said, rubbing his mothers arm. "Okay dear. Good night." Everett walked into his room and laid on his bed, looking at the ceiling. After a few minuets he turned to his phone and started to scroll through Facebook, which only made his heart yearn. He was still friends with most of his competitors, and they were always posting about their adventures. Everett missed that... He turned on his side and sighed softly, putting his phone on the bedside table. Being alone with his thoughts and Facebook made him remember just how lonely he was, which was something he tried to bury deep down.

Maybe he should go skate? No... it was almost eleven. Maybe a good run would help? His mom was in the shower, so she wouldn't be able to hear him slip out... oh god, he felt like a teenager again. Everett peeled himself off the bed and put on his running shoes, before he carefully snuck out of his house and into the diner, before finally making his way outside. He looked both ways, almost as if he felt eyes on him before he started to jog down the street. Everett had a hard time sleeping anyways, so maybe a run would help get his mind out of those deep dark thoughts and help him fall asleep later.

Most days Caleb loved going back to his apartment. Although it was almost always a mess, the two-bedroom, one of which served as half a study and half a guest room, was his home. Not to mention he took quite a lot of pride in the fact he actually owned the place- a decision he wasn't sure was the wisest financially, but he managed fine for now, and he felt like he couldn't put a price on the feeling of having a home of your own.

That evening however, as he opened the door, he knew he was going to go right back out. He quickly walked through his living room, throwing his bag on the couch as he did, and started pulling off his shirt. Going into his bedroom he quickly changed into his workout clothes that showed off his athletic build more than his everyday ones did. This build was a result of years of running- that was Caleb's way of letting off steam and tonight was no different. Charlotte bringing up their parents had his mind buzzing with unpleasant thoughts, and he needed them to go away, or at least quite down a little. Running this late at night was nothing out of the usual for him- in fact, he preferred it that way. It was always quite as he jogged through the town, allowing him to focus on his own thoughts rather than meeting other people. Or at least that was the case most of the time. Seeing a familiar teal-colored head in the distance heading in his direction, it wasn't very hard to guess who it belonged to. Caleb slowed down his pace as he got closer to Everett, coming to a full stop when they met. "I swear I'm not stalking you" he said, a bit theatrically, his hands raised a little, palms facing the other man in a peace-offering gesture. "What the hell are you doing here this late? I've never seen you running at this hour" Caleb said, as he took in Everett's expression "is everything okay?" he said, more seriously now, as he noticed the other man seemed a little disturbed.

Everett tried to push back those memories and feelings with every step, and instead tried to focus on how the cold air hurt his lungs or how fast his heart was beating. No matter how far he ran though, he couldn't help but miss it all - even the parts that weren't so great. Of course if he had the chance to go back in time to do it again, he wouldn't get with his ex-boyfriend. No. getting with him was the beginning of the end. Everett shook his head, trying his hardest to force every thought about him as far away as possible. His eyes caught the glimpse of Caleb in the distance, which quieted his thoughts just a little. He came to a complete stop when they met, his breaths a litt;e heavy. Everett couldn't help but smile when Caleb had to clarify that he wasn't stalking him.

"It's alright. It's a small town... just don't let me catch you staring up into my bedroom window." Everett teased as he crossed his arms to rub his elbows. The next question made his smile fade for a split second, before he replaced it with a much more false one. "I'm fine." He quickly said, "I was just bored and couldn't sleep is all. What about you? It's almost midnight, why are you running?" Everett asked in a kind, soft tone.

Caleb was smiling but his eyes closely followed the change of emotions on Everett's face. It wasn't hard to tell something was definitely up, and that he clearly didn't want to talk about it. Caleb considered whether he should try and pursue the matter further, when Everett turned the same question in his direction. It's not that he wasn't expecting the question, but the kindness in the other's voice caught him off guard "Oh, I always run an night" he answered, running his hand through his hair "I like it better… like you said it's a small town. It's just quieter at night" he felt his smile become a little bitter as he gave an explanation he was sure didn't really explain much.

"Anyway" he smiled at the other man again, trying to return to his usual self "do you want some company? You know, in case you have a real stalker, like a crazy fan or something. Not a half-assed one like me" he said sarcastically. In all truth, he didn't want to leave Everett alone when he looked upset, and he thought maybe having someone else with him would take his own mind off things, even if they couldn't really talk when running.

It didn't surprise Everett that Caleb liked to run at night, though he did have a new respect about his love of exercise. There was a lot of exercise that went into figure skating - he had a strict diet, had to work out every day, he was even taking ballet just to make sure everything was on point. He had to stay light in order to do all the flips and such, and sometimes he loved it and other times all he wanted was a fucking hamburger. Everett still kept to a healthy diet, but he ate hamburgers and pancakes more than he did! That was one of the good parts of being out of the spotlight, he supposed. "Well, I have had my fair share of crazed fans... so it would be nice having some company." He said, looking down the street.

\

"Do you want to run to the beach?" Everett asked, before his blue eyes flashed up at Caleb. Everett always loved looking at the beach at night. It was kind of nice being on the sand without anyone but him and the waves. Besides, it always got chilly by the lake, and he would pick that over the scolding hot heat any day!

Caleb laughed at Everett's mention of crazed fans "you have to tell me about that. Now I keep imagining creepy shrines full of pictures of you and candles" he teased. He smiled widely as the other's offer of running to the beach "sure" he answered "I actually don't usually run there so it can be a nice change of scenery" he said as he stepped aside and gestured Everett to pass him "lead the way".

Understandably, while running Caleb didn't really talk much. He was happy, however, to find out that the new company and route helped take his mind off his conversation with his sister, even if not entirely so. He thought about his and Everett's conversation about fans- although they were joking, he kept wondering if it was something he missed. He didn't really know how it felt to be famous for something and having fans, but he assumed getting recognition was something important to any competitive athlete. Coming to think of it, he wasn't sure why Everett quite competing in the first place- he didn't seem like he got injured, and he still seemed to like skating very much. Sure, skaters had a somewhat young retirement age- but Everett was still young, and for sure had a few more good years in him, didn't he?

Caleb slowed his pace again only when they got closer to the lake, finally coming to a full stop at the edge of the sandy beach. He stretched his arms above his head, his breathing a little heavy, as he took in the sight of the bright moon- both in the dark skies and reflected in the black water. The cold breeze helped cool his face, and the general atmosphere seemed to be calming his mind. He could understand why Everett liked coming there. He stood silently in the same spot he stopped in, his eyes glued to the scenery in front of him, all but forgetting the other's presence beside him.

It felt nice running with someone for a change. Even though he grew up in this town, and a majority of the people he hung out with in high school were still around, he didn't really associate with anyone since he came back. Sure, he had friends he would talk to here and there, but ever since his ex boyfriend he felt a little anxious spending time with anyone. It's taken him up until now to realize that he wasn't going to get punished for this, because he was free. Everett stayed quiet as they ran, his eyes flashing over to Caleb ever so often in silence. When he started to slow down he did as well, only running a few more steps before his body allowed him to stop.

He looked over at the lake, his eyes driven to the reflection on the lake. Everything was so still and tranquil, almost as if they were the only two people left on the earth. He looked over at Caleb, a small smile on his face. "When I was in high school, and even a lot now, I used to come here to think." Everett said as he sat on the dry beach, leaning back with a soft sigh. "It feels so nice to sit sometimes," he said as he looked up at Caleb and smiled warmly at the other. "Thank you for coming on a run with me. It's nice to actually spend some time with you, before I start teaching you lessons."

Everett talking to him brought Caleb out of his thoughts and back into reality. "It looks like a good spot for thinking" he agreed, as he tried imagining the other as an high-schooler coming to that same spot to deal with whatever it was that was on his mind. He didn't really know him back then, which made sense because if their age differences, nor did he know what was bothering him in the present, but he knew better than to assume people had no problems. He learned the hard way that everyone had their own personal demons to battle- even if it didn’t look like it on the outside.

As the other man thanked him, Caleb returned him a smile of his own and sat down next to him "No problem. I should be the one thanking you for bringing me to your thinking spot" he said as he turned his head to look at him once he located himself comfortably on the ground. "Next time we should do something involving drinks" he laughed, although his offer was a serious one. It's been a while since he went out and got away from the town, trying to keep himself busy with work and helping his sister, but tonight only reminded him of how much he needed to get some air from time to time.

The talk about their lessons got Caleb's mind wandering again in that same direction it did when he was running "you really do love teaching, don't you?" he asked the younger man, still smiling, as he leaned his head on his hand, his elbow placed on his knee. "Is that why you stopped competing? Do you want to start coaching instead?" he asked, his voice expressing genuine interest.

The suggestion of going out for drinks next time brought a smile to his lips. He turned his head to face the other man, "I would like that. It's been a while since I've been out drinking." The last time he went out for a few drinks the night ended with a few bruises, and a cover story. This time he hoped the result would end a lot different. He took a deep breath and stretched out his legs, bending over to touch his toes. They did go out for a run, so what was the harm on keeping a little active even though they were already sitting. The question made Everett turn his head, and sit up straight. "Something like that..." He said shortly, looking over to the ocean with a soft sigh. He brought his knees back together and looked over at Caleb, "I do miss competing though. You meet a bunch of cool people, and you get to try new things. I got to see things that people only see on the backgrounds of a computer... It was... fun."

Everett ran his hands through his hair and sighed again, his eyes peering over at the moon reflected onto the water as if it was a large mirror. After a few seconds he shook his head and looked back at Caleb, "though I do love teaching... those kids are fun. They're a lot more resilient than most parents think they are..." His mind went immediately to Cathy - the woman who droned on and on about what she should bring. If he was a parent he would probably send his child in with a box of prepackaged cookies, and call it good. How did some of those parents even find the time to bake an entire class of kids food, let alone worry about what they should and should not bring.

"What about you? What got you into physical therapy?" Everett asked, turning his body to face Caleb. He liked it when people knew that his attention was fully on them. He thought that it was only polite.

The expression on Everett's face when he was talking about missing skating… Caleb could only describe it as longing. His heart went out to the other man- he knew all too well the feeling of wanting something and not being able to have it. The comment he made about kids made Caleb laugh, as Everett voiced his exact sentiments on the subject "I know, right?" he said as he shook his head a little and rolled his eyes, an amused smile on his lips "I mean, they eat sand and glue for fucks sake, and most of them turn out just fine".

Being asked about his own choice of career, Caleb let out another laugh, this one quiter and not quite as sincere as the previous one "actually I'm a med school dropout" he admitted "I just didn't like the way they looked at people. It was so… sterile" he said, in lack of a better word. "My dad and my sister are in cardio, and my brother in neuro. And between physical therapy and nursing, this was the more… appropriate choice" he smiled bitterly at the word. Thinking back now, it was probably then when he first strayed from the path they had planned for him, when his problems with his parents started. "I was actually in sports after I graduated and did my practicum. Basketball" he told the other man, thinking back on the job his dad got him back then using his connections. Now he understood that this was his way of making Caleb's job seem more acceptable. This way it at least had some prestige to it. "I kind of miss it sometimes" he admitted quietly, as his eyes shifted from Everett's face to look at the dark lake "it's like switching from regular to decaf. Seeing your patient score for the team after a bad injury has a rush to it you just don't really get from hip replacement rehabilitation" he sighed as he placed his chin on his hands once again as his mind started to wander. He never really talked about this with anybody, but the way Everett looked at him, as if he was genuinely interested in him, made Caleb spill all of this out before he even realized it.

He took in a deep breath before turning his head to Everett once again, smiling like he would usually do "but this job has its perks too" he said, trying to make his voice sound as light as he could. He stopped and thought for a moment before he started talking again "look, about competing… I guess you have your reasons, but if you really miss it that much I really think you should do it. I know it's not my place to say it, but teaching can wait… and at the end of the day it's your life. You should be happy" he added a little shrug and a smile as he said those last words. "Anyway," he said after a moment, his voice becoming more business-like again "I think we should start heading back. It's cold and honestly Olivia would kill me if you'll cancel next week's class because I got you sick" he said as he got up to his feet and shook the sand that stuck to his cloths before reaching out his hand to help the other man get up.

Everett listened to every word Caleb said with great insterest, his body shifting to look at him fully. He was surprised that Caleb was a med school drop out, and was pretty impressed that he came from a family of doctors. It was like they were worlds away, yet so close. He could sympathize with missing it. While he didn't get the satisfaction of seeing people he's helped getting back into the game, he missed the look of wonder when he would land a triple axel, or having fans tell him how he inspired them to skate. He got a little lost in his own thoughts during the pause, his eyes wondering to the sand as he thought back on it all. His eyes flashed up when Caleb started to talk again, a soft smile crossing his lips. "The same could be said about teaching," Everett said honestly.

What Caleb said caught Everett by surprise. He looked at the other man with wide eyes, a sad feeling sinking into his heart. As much as he wanted to compete... he just couldn't. Well, he could... but he didn't think it would pan out so well. "Yeah..." He said softly, looking sadly down at the sand until Caleb got up and offered him a hand. That smile crossed his lips again, and he grabbed his hand pulling himself up before patting the sand off of him. "It makes me happy that Olivia enjoys my class so much." There was always that part of him that worried that the kids were only taking it because their parents made them to. It made him happy to know that Olivia was serious about it, though that showed through her skating. If she wanted she could probably go big.

Caleb silently cursed himself as he saw that sad expression cross Everett's face. He didn't mean any harm, but it seemed like he said something wrong to him. He just wasn't sure what. "She really does" he reassured him when the other mentioned his niece "trust me, she has no problem saying exactly what she thinks" he rolled his eyes remembering her ruthless roast of his cooking skills, that was, admittedly, justified as those were practically non-existent. "But you know, I'm sure she'll also be ecstatic if you'll compete again" he added after a moment, as he didn't want to make the other man believe he thought he should give up on that dream "she'll probably want to see you live… she keeps telling us about all those things you can do. Even though I don't really understand what they mean" he admitted, rubbing his neck unconsciously "hence, me losing cool uncle points" he explained the inevitable result of him not knowing any technical skating terms, not to mention how to execute them.

He stopped for another moment, eyes examining the face in front of him, before he found the right words to conclude what it was he was trying to convey. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that she'll cheer you on regardless. Even if you decide to chase that dream. As will I" he added, smiling warmly at Everett as he placed his hand on his shoulder, keeping it there for just a moment more than was necessary before he retracted it. He knew all too well what it was like to feel like you're fighting something all alone, and even though he didn't know much about Everett's personal life and support, he wanted to make sure he wouldn't feel that way.

"Come on" he said after a few seconds, still smiling kindly at the other "I'll walk you home. Can't neglect my duty as your crazy fan security team, now can I?" he raised an eyebrow, a hint of sarcasm in his voice, as one side of his mouth pulled up to form a sarcastic smirk on his lips to match his tone.

Everett couldn't help but think about his class cheering him on, if he were to ever compete again. Would it inspire them? Probably not, but he could dream. Besides, competing was something that was better left in the past. He loved it, honestly he did, but... he couldn't. He rubbed his neck, his eyes shifting over to Caleb to give him a smile when he added that he would be cheering him on as well. When he was competing his mother and cousin were his number one fans. Even now they had posters of him, and a few of his trophies in the diner. They even bought a big screen television for the diner, so the town could watch him compete in luxury. Or after he would compete, she would video chat with him and the entire diner would cheer him on. There was nothing like the feeling of adrenaline that would course through his veins after his program, but it would only fuel after people he knew growing up would cheer for him.

"You sure it won't be too out of the way?" Everett asked as they started to walk, his icy blue eyes flashing up at Caleb. "What if you have some crazy stalkers I should be protecting you from?" Everett said, a genuine smile crossing his lips. "I bet she's been following you all this time, just waiting... hoping you'll notice her, and ask her on a date randomly out of the blue. I bet she has locks of your hair." Everett chuckled as he rolled his eyes, remembering a few of his mega-fans. "I met a few... fans... that somehow acquired some of my dirty snot rags and even towels I washed my sweat off with. After a few of them, I was convinced they were trying to clone me..." Everett sighed softly before he rolled his eyes with a smirk, "My ex-boyfriend ended up getting security called on a few, after they would try to get locks of my hair... you know, speaking of crazy fans and stalkers."

The suggestion of him having a crazy stalker as well as the offer to protect him from her caused a quite snicker to leave Caleb's lips. Not only did the idea he would have a stalker seemed highly unlikely to him, he also found the thought of the visibly much smaller Everett defending him entertaining. Nonetheless, the fact that the other seemed to care about him made him happy. He wasn't at all surprised Everett assumed he was straight. Everyone did, even though he never actively tried coming across as one. He wasn't sure what about him gave that impression, but even in the few times he went out to gay bars, guys just assumed he was a straight guy looking to experiment.

When Everett started talking about his own fans however, Caleb stopped right in his tracks, quite literally. He suddenly froze in place, eyes wide open staring at the other man in disbelief. Sure he imagined he had some avid fans during his skating days, but he never imagined he was dealing with that kind of crazy. "Hold on, are you serious?" he asked, dark eyes blinking at the other man "now there's absolutely no way I'm letting you go home alone" he grumbled, his face set in a deep frown, as he started walking again. He was surprised to notice that the mention of an ex-boyfriend made him jealous- more than he thought he would be. He breathed in a calming breath, reminding himself that not only was he an ex, but that he also had no right to get jealous. Despite that reasoning, he still couldn't make this feeling completely disappear. At least now he knew for a fact that he had some kind of a chance with Everett.

"As for me having a stalker…" he started talking again after a moment of walking in silence "well, if she's a she, she would be waiting for a long time for me to ask her out" he said as they walked. He gave Everett a side glance, measuring the other's reaction at his sudden coming out. He didn't really know what to expect, but imagined it wouldn't be too bad, seeing Everett just told him he used to date a guy.

Everett looked over his shoulder when Caleb stopped in his tracks, and let out a little laugh. "Completely serious. Sometimes fans get..." He looked down, searching for the right words. "Enthusiastic about their love for some of us." Everett made a point of not saying anything bad about his fans, no matter how strong some of them came off. Sure, he had his moments when he said something rude about him, but he almost always felt guilty about it afterwards. His ex-boyfriend had a nasty habit of bad mouthing his fans behind close doors, no matter how friendly and precious they were. The thought about his ex made his stomach churn, and he pushed that thought back into the deep side of his brain.

Everett looked up at Caleb when he started to talk, caught off guard by his sudden confession. His eye widened slightly, unsure of what to say. After a few seconds he gave him a small smile, "and here I was thinking that I was the only guy here who swung for the same team." Everett said, feeling awkward for his choice of words. "I mean... I don't really meet other gay men, though I also don't go looking either." He was in a committed relationship for three years, and after coming back he wasn't looking for another. Those last three years were like a never ending hell, and he was glad he was single for a while. Though there were certain aspects of being in a relationship he missed, like waking up next to someone in the morning, or the feeling of being wanted.

• Saga locked this topic