Secrets {Rumpleteaser x M-jow}

M-jow

'The rest of my work I can do at home later tonight,' Vesper agreed. He didn't bother taking off his coat but hung the messenger bag on the coat rack. He stretched up high then out wide, giving a long yawn and a contented moan. He looked around and walked over to the dining room to grab an apple. He might as well eat the fruit since they were lost on Damian and Louis. Vesper had thought humans liked fruit.

'My time would be better spent taking care of my ward, don't you think?' he said, then smiled softly. He took a bite of the apple and walked over to Louis.

'Did you have that list of belongings you wanted brought over?' he asked. He'd put it in his messenger bag while he still remembered it and get it done tomorrow. He'd also add for any coats to be brought over because the caves could get very cold in winter. The cave network didn't change temperature much from day to night or day to day but over the year it could become colder than the air above. Winter would be here soon and Louis would freeze without a coat. 'Are you cold at all? You can borrow one of my coats.'

With that, Vesper went to the front door. It slid open in front of him and he waited for Louis to come. The door worked by low level magic, like everything else it seemed. Unlike the other doors, however, Vesper had had this one adjusted to lock manually too, since many of his wards couldn't use magic yet. Vesper took something from his pocket and held it out for Louis to take.

'Here, your key,' Vesper said. It looked less like a key though and more like an identification card. It had the security company on it, their phone number and Vesper's phone number on it but obviously no address. It just had to be swiped against the door and it would slide open.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• M-jow

• Rumpleteaser

It wasn't that Louis didn’t like fruits, he ate some every day. Ot was just that Vesper brought much more than one normally would. The guy had three lage bowle with all kinds of fruits placed around the house, and they never seemed to get any small no matter how many one could eat.

"Well you wouldn’t hear any complaints from me" Louis answered before going back upstairs to get his list and took the jacked he had haft on the day he was brought down. "Here, I'm sure I wrote it all"

Louis politely Vesper that he would be fin in his own, since it was warmer that from the looks of it.

Louis followed Vesper out til the guy turned and handled him a cardigan, first he didn't get it, but then he noticed the panle in the door, and nodded his thanks.

"Are we going to the same place as last time?" Louis asked curiousely, this would be the first time he left the house since getting there. Surely with all the movies he and Damian had seen Louis wouldn't get as easily startled as he he had gotten the first couple of times.

But he still made sure to stay close to Vesper, knowing that it wouldn’t be great to get lost in a dark cave somewhere when he knew almost no one down here.

'Thank you,' Vesper replied as he took the note. He tucked it away in his messenger bag then walked outside.

'No, we're going to one closer to home this time. I thought it might be better for you to know how to walk somewhere. It'll still take thirty to forty minutes to get there,' he answered. He put his hands in his pockets and walked along the hall to an elevator. This was just a normal elevator this time that went up and down. Otherwise they would have had to walk down sixty flights of stairs to get to the bottom of the cavern wall. There were even shops, eateries and corner stores along various levels of the wall, with the same strange dimensions as Vesper's house. It was certainly a long elevator ride and as quiet as any such ride would be. It had strange instrumental music that sounded a lot like a rainforest, complete with an instrument that sounded like bird noises.

'Would you like to try some authentic demon cuisine?' Vesper asked out of nowhere. 'There's a take away place that's clean and we can eat in the park or a restaurant I go to often that sells liquours if you'd like to try that too. Do you drink?'

'If you don't want something local, there is an Indian restaurant in the mall, a yum cha place and a general eating hall. I don't eat in the hall though but you can,' he said as the elevator continued down. He didn't trust the eating halls in shopping centers. There were only a few fast food outlets he actually trusted. If he ever saw anything unclean, he was unlikely to return and he always read restaurants' lists of awards and certifications.

Eventually the elevator slowed to a stop, creating a sinking feeling as it did. There was a loud "DING" before the doors slid open to reveal a blackened world of the caves. Everything appeared dark, even with the coloured lights along the streetside and the lights from inside buildings. Demon eyes weren't made for sunlight or bright lights. They could see in the dark far better. They could even see infrared light as well as the visible spectrum. Ultraviolet light too but that just made going up into the sunlit world all the more uncomfortable.

Louis followed Vesper into the thing that looked a bit drifferent from the teleporter they had used to get to the guy’s house. When it started going down Louis let out the breathe he had been holding, just in case this had been some freaky machine to throw them from place to place as well. But it was goouto know that they also had things lile elevatores, that meant he maybe could be able to walk insted of taking the teleporter and get sick all the time.

The thing even had just as bad music as the once above, it made him smile at the comparison.

"There is s park down here?" Louis asked and tried to picturer a park down here. "Sure, I did like to tast some of that food and I can drink, but are you okay eating in the park?" It was more of a curious question, since Louis really didn't know what Vesper would and would not do, the hall was no go, Louis could almost understand that one, and though he like indian food, he didn't wanted to eat alone.

Vesper nodded his head silently, closing his eyes a moment.

'Yes, we have parks. They don't have trees but they do have playgrounds, chairs and tables, spaces for children to run around and sometimes even coin operated cooking facilities. This one had a pond with albino eels in it,' Vesper explained. He didn't feel like going into detail as Louis would see what it was like for himself.

'Yes, I've eaten in the park before. I'll use a piece of butcher's paper for a tablecloth so I'm not touching the table and I always bring extra sanitiser,' he said. He was comfortable with things touching his coat. His coat was a shield between him and the outside world. He was more troubled with things that touched his hands, face or mouth. Of course, if someone spilled things on his coat or wiped their hands on him it was likely to trigger a sense of panic.

'You needn't worry about me. Just because I have mysophobia, doesn't mean I can't do things other people can,' he said. He just had to go about things differently and keep prepared in case he came into contact with things he found "unclean". 'My case is quite mild. I don't feel there's anything wrong with the way I go about things. Other's I've met in group therapy are almost debilitated buy it.'

"Okay just making sure" Louis smiled and followed the other out to the dark street. With all those drifferent lights it felt kind of like walking the streets at night as he knew from above, only that Louis knew that this place would never met the day.

There were alot of people out too, demons of all kinds, much like the once he had seen in Vespers movies, and he was no judged og beauti down here, but eww some still just creep him out. Louis acted the part of not being bothered by any of this, putting on as straight face as he could while he stayed closer to Vesper as they walked and talked along the way.

"Hey can I buy that cooking book while we are here?" Louis asked, he figured that Vesper would soon be tired of eating his basic cooking, Louis knew he was starting to himself, and well he seemed to have a lot of time on his hands before they would end up testing him. So why not upgrade his cooking abillitis?

'Thank you for caring,' he replied with a slight nod. It was nice that Louis was being so considerate. Many of his more wild words had run rings around him, much like Damian had tried to. Damian was a nice kid in the end.

Vesper dodged the traffic with a certain grace that hid the fact he was avoiding bodily contact. It was so casual though that it was hard to notice. It just made him look more active rather than someone intimidated by other demons.

'Yes. Tonight is my treat. We can go and do anything you like,' he replied with a nod.

The park was a wide square that took up two blocks. The flooring was made from rubber from old tires so it was springy underfoot, safe for children to run and fall on. There were only a few families with little children out tonight, as tonight was a week night with tomorrow being the last day of the working ten-day week. Just as Vesper had said, there were children climbing all over and on top of a set of play equipment designed to look like a fort with spy glasses, bars and places to hide. There was everything Vesper had described there, along with giant bioluminescent fungi in blues and greens. They grew in patches and lit up the whole area. There was no need for fluorescent lighting here! The fungi themselves acted as giant lamps. They were spaced out naturally and had probably grown there for millennia. Vesper wandered over to a purplish blue clump so Louis could touch and feel the living organism.

'The takeaway store is just over here,' Vesper said when he'd given enough time for Louis to inspect the fungi.

The store was over the other side of the park. Like all shops, it front was lit up with signs but this one had eels either side of the name "The Eel House". It was obvious what Louis was going to be eating. Vesper lined up with his hands in his pockets so he wouldn't bump into anyone and looked up at the glowing, white menu. What would be best for Louis to try? Vesper would order for Louis this time and the young man could choose next time.

'I'll have the grilled teriyaki with kassava fries, one serve of crisps with tree sauces and two hot ling-mung juices,' he said to the attendant. 'I'd also like a large piece of butcher's paper, please.'

'Oh, you're that guy. I remember you,' the attendant said.

'Yes. It's handier than bringing my own tablecloth,' Vesper replied.

'So that's what you use it for. I always thought it must be to wrap your leftovers in.'

Vesper shook his head quietly.

'You come here often, don't you?' he asked with a smile.

'Yes. It's my favourite takeaway.'

Vesper took his ticket and moved aside. He didn't particularly feel like holding up the queue. He sat down at one of the tables out the front of the shop and rested his hands on his lap. While he trusted the food here and that the kitchens were clean, he didn't quite feel comfortable with resting his hands on the table.

Louis was amazed by those weird fungis that seemed to grow just about wherever the things could grow there long thick roots around. Louis expescially liked the soft lights they made in all drifferent colors, it gave the place a nice atmosphere.

He had heard about fungis which glowed before, but this, well the biggest was about the same size a a house.

After having looked at the big looking mushroom, Louis hurried after Vesper as the guy walked forward the shops area, and noticed the eels on one og the signs before he followed Vesper inside.

The business was well going, almost every table were full and staff was bringing food out from the kitchen on green plats as they stood to order. Louis didn’t have any problem reading the menu, but he had on idea what he should order, so he was glad that Vesper decided to order for then both.

Though Louis hadn't starred at anyone yet, he found himself being the center of attention for a few of the demons, whom where eating around the tabels and though he tried to ignore it he could still feel them looking. 'what? Did he wore his jacked inside out or something?'

Louis instead just focused on Vesper, as the guy made sure not to touch anything with his hands.

"Looks like you aren't the only one who likes this place"Louis comented, choosing not to bother the guy by pointing out the thing he was doing.

'It is popular,' Vesper answered. He twiddled his thumbs and looked down at his hands, trying to think of something to talk about while their food cooked. 'The food is good and the place has high hygiene ratings. They get a lot of families who eat in the park like we will.'

'Other than the cook book, is there anything you need to buy?' he asked.

Despite the number of people, there was a fast turn around and soon Vesper's order was called out. He took two packets of cutlery from the counter, along with the butcher's paper he'd asked for and their drinks. The food he handed to Louis to carry over to the park. Lucky for them, there was a seat under a cluster of aqua coloured mushrooms so it would be easier to see the food, though everything would look aqua under the coloured light the fungi gave off. Vesper laid the piece of butcher's paper down across the end of the table so he and Louis would have a tablecloth. He then placed the ling-mung juices either side of the table too.

'These are hot ling-mung juices. They're squeezed from a spongy fruit that grows on the roots of a plant instead of the branches. The juice is then boiled for three hours to bring out the taste and kill the bitterness,' he explained. The juice was tangy and tasted like a mix between orange and lemon juice. It was sweet and nice served hot.

Vesper took the two serves of food and tore the paper open. He then tore open his little sealed packet of plastic cutlery, cleaned it with sanitiser and used it to delicately share the food between two cardboard trays so they would each get a helping of the different foods. The teriyaki eel was pretty obvious. Vesper had chosen it because it would be more familiar to Louis than some of the other meat dishes on the menu. It was grilled in chunks and tossed in a thick teriyaki sauce that clung to the meat.

'These chunky things here are made of kassava. It's a long, white root similar to taro. It tastes a bit like potato but starchier. It doesn't go completely soft and fluffy though. It stays firm after boiling then they deep fry it to make it crispy,' he explained. He then pointed to the crisps. 'These are made of eel too. Demons eat a lot of eel because they're native to our waters. They're sliced into slivers and deep fried. We eat these instead of potato chips or corn chips.'

Louis shook his head, with the thing he would get brought down, there wasn't really anything he really needed. "Nop just the cook book for now, I'll wait and see when I get some of my stuff down what I need then" He answered as he took the offered fastfood bage to carry and followed Vesper back out.

He couldn't help but to smile when the other found them a nice spot just below the fungi with another strange light. It was like being at the aquarium only that there were no fish up in the mushroom, only the pieces in their food bags.

Louis listened to Vesper explain as he unwrap his own food and nodded in understanding. He had tried eel meat a few times before it tasted okay, but mostly just of saltwater, and wondered if this would tasted like that down here? But still eel.. That would take some getting use too.

Louis tried crispy piece of eel chip with the sauce and chewed carefully at first. "Not bad" He admitted, it really had more tast than from what he thought and with the sauce it became even more flavoured. He finished the piece and sent Vesper a smile. "Not bad at all"

Louis then tried the teriyaki eel, the flavour of the meat itself was similar, but the teriyaki sauce here too made it tast a bit more drifferent. The roots tasted similar ti potato but it also seemed nutty, though Louis didn’t dislike it. Rarely had he ever been a picky eater, though something looked more nasty that other dishes.

And then there was the ling-mung juice, true it tasted just like another juices he had tried from above, only that this juice had a strange purple color instead. Louis chuckled " It look so drifferent but I rather like this dishes, though I can't say I'm much surprised, the food we have eaten at your house kind of prepared me for the strange looking things, but it's still tasty"

'Do you want one on demon cuisine or something more general?' Vesper asked, again to make conversation.

'I'm pleased you like it. We eat a lot of eel down here. It's like our chicken - a cheap and readily available meat,' Vesper explained before popping a bit of the teriyaki in his mouth. 'There are a few different types of eel too, just like there are different types of fish. This is the basic, less flavoursome type. It takes the flavours of other foods very well, like the teriyaki sauce.'

'You really enjoy trying new foods, don't you?' Vesper commented between eating. He wiped his lips on the napkin and sanitised his hands again before picking up an eel crisp with his fingers. It was hard to use a fork for them because they were so crunchy and crumbled to pieces. 'I'll be sure to take you out often if you enjoy eating so many things.'

Vesper sanitised his hands yet again before taking his juice. He sighed heavily after taking a draught of it. It was so good warm. It was one of his favourite drinks besides coffee.

'Was what I cooked really that strange? I thought it might be familiar to you, aside from the meat,' he said as he sat back and let his food digest a bit. He picked up his plastic cutlery again and took a bit more of the teriyaki eel into his mouth.

"The cook book you mean? Well nothing too fancy, but maybe I'll buy one of each, I never really leaned to cook fish let alone eel." Louis answered after he had swallowed the food he had been chewing. "I had no idea that demons really eat all that eel, the church now seemes so misguiding, I have always been told that demons eat sinners, or kids whom skiped school" He smirked at the memory of his old school teacher from when he was 15, and just started to work on the side.

"Seriously just how did that come into peoples head, did demon plan them there or should I start to fear that I might starve from the thought truants?" Louis really wasn't sure if that part sounded funny or what.

Louis shook his shoulders. "It's properly just couse I'm use to eat out, and try new things rather than cook myself" He smiled and stoped a eel chip in his mouth and wiped his fingers to get the olie off. When Vesper said that he would take him out more, Louis got mixed feelings about that. Sure it was nice and he thought that Vesper was a nice guy dispite his problemes.

"Well I wouldn't wanted too stress you with it, I mean with your work and all, though it would be nice to lean abit more before I stood with it on my own."

"What oh no, that came out wrong, I didn't mean the taste, it just that I never eaten a white cucumber which tasted tomatish" Louis let out a quite laugh just low enough that no one would look their way.

'We could go to a secondhand bookstore instead. They'd have more to choose from and would no doubt be cheaper than any of the malls,' Vesper thought aloud. 'There are also a few charity shops, though they have older books that are more technical with less pictures and colour. I'll have to decontaminate anything from the secondhand or charity shops too.'

'Demons have always had an uneasy history with humans. It goes all the way back to the ancient Arabs believing djinn were made of fire where humans were made of clay. Humans have been building myths around demons ever since. Christianity has always picked up bits of mythology wherever it goes and tacked on new traits to demons as they go. Demons and witches are blamed for most things in the end. It's rather frustrating, really,' he said with a sigh. He looked down at his food and dipped another crisp in one of the sauces. 'Maybe we wouldn't need the pact to remain hidden underground if humans didn't have so many false myths surrounding us.'

'I'm sorry, I sound as though I have a grudge against humans,' Vesper realised. 'I don't have a grudge against individuals as such. I just don't like how demons have been treated over the years when really angels are no better.'

'I suppose on your pay packet you can afford to,' Vesper agreed. He couldn't imagine eating out so often himself. He would much rather cook his own food, know it is clean and know what went into it. He was a bit of a fussy eater at time, especially when it came to "clean" foods and "dirty" foods.

'You're no stress, really. You're the easiest ward I've had so far. Besides, it's as much my job to take care of you as it is to hunt down and question half-breeds. I wouldn't be doing my job properly if I didn't show you around and tech you what you need to know. I get compensated for my role in taking you in, so it's not as if I get nothing out of it too,' Vesper explained as he continued to eat. He was very particular about the way he ate. Since everything except the teriyaki was finger food, he had to sanitise his hands often. It was a wonder his hands didn't taste like sanitiser by that point!

'Oh. I see what you mean. All I can say is "you'll get used to it". There are a lot of things you will get used to in time. Bringing food down from the surface is an expensive process so we rely on what we can find in the cave systems. Even these fungi we're sitting under are technically edible,' he answered.

"That sounds great, I don't mind even if they are old, though I would like pictures, just to know how it should properly look like when I'm done" Louis answered with a smile, he liked finding old things from some of the shops at home, an surely the shops down here would have some some too, though it hadn't been cooking books he normaly looked for before.

Louis smiled while chewing his food. Vesper thought of his as no stress.. Well that was drifferent, usally he was called a pain in the neck by him manager, and the guy had only seen him for like 6 houres a week.

"Great you think so" Louis answered after swallowing the food. He almost had said that they properly should start talking half-breeds when they were as old as himself, but that wasn't something Louis wanted to get mixed up in with Vesper.

Louis looked down in thoughts for a moment, Vesper's words made him think, that maybe humans was to afraid of the unknown to accept none normal. Well Louis properly did too, he was still telling himself that this couldn't be real at times.

"Well I think I can imagine what you mean, I mean all this hidding away isn't it to keep every one save? Demons with their powers and fearful humans don't usally get along, hell lots of humans gets scared just seeing a black guy. And there are lots of evidens about what fear can evolv into, like you said about witches" Louis knew that had he meet a person looking as either Damian or Vesper, he properly would had just walked by them couse the looked drifferent.

"Wait.. angeles?" Well why not bringer everyone along, soon ghost and zombies exist too... On on he didn't wanted to know.

"So.. there really exist Angels, wonder why that surprises me.. But so, what are they?" Louis asked as he finished the last of his teriyaki.

'I'll take you to a few places I like to go. I enjoy wondering around antique and opportunity shops in case they have any old clockwork,' he said, then looked down at his food. There wasn't much left and he was starting to feel quite full. He looked up at Louis thoughtfully as he considered something. 'I don't bring my clocks up into the main house. I'd like to but I'm always afraid my wards put dirty finger marks on them or even break them. Do you think... would it be safe to put the grandfather clock back in the dining area?'

Vesper nodded silently in response. He folded up his cardboard packaging and sanitised his hands and face for the last time using the napkin. The napkin also went in with the cardboard packaging then he sat back calmly and looked around the park. He wasn't looking at anything in particular, merely being polite so Louis could finish his meal in peace.

'Yes, humans can be tricky to get along with. Unfortunately, that hatred for demons goes both ways. A lot of demons loath humans and are bitter about having to stay underground. It would be hard to move back to the surface without fights or even war breaking out,' Vesper said with a sigh. It was a tricky situation, really, with no perfect outcome in sight. People could talk about it and solve all the world's problems in one conversation but it was unlikely anything would ever happen from it. Vesper sighed again and looked over at Louis. The man looked human for all intensive purposes. That might cause some problems, especially if people thought a real human was walking around in the underworld.

'Yes, angles,' Vesper replied. 'You'll learn more about them in your schooling but they're made from the same seed as demons. Angels were given light magic where demons were given darkness. They have wings and sometimes tails or horns like us but they look more like birds than bats. They bred out horns and tails, thinking it was too much of a demonic trait, and they don't have halos like humans think they do. They tend to live in mountain peaks, clouds and the skies. There are actually cities in the skies but they're invisible to all bar other angels.'

'Angels and demons have had their differences over the years, mostly because of their differing appearances and powers. It has come to battle, assassination and kidnappings at times. Nobody knows who started the wars but neither side wants to be the one who ends them. At some point in history angels sided with humans. Apparently light means good and dark means bad,' he said, then shook his head as if in frustration. 'Angels and demons eventually became part of human mythology and the opinion stuck. I don't think humans as a whole will ever fully change their minds about angels and demons.'

Okay if Louis hadn't already guessed that Vesper loved antiques, he surely knew now. "Yeah I would like that, I may not look like the type, but most of the stuff in my apartment are antiques" Louis smiled before he continued. "You can look for clocks, then I will looke for a good cooking book and when we get back you should definitely bringe that clock up, it's your house after all, and I'll keep my hands to myself" Louis promised, he kind of felt like a kid needing to show hands to make sure he wasn't lying.

Louis felt a chill when Vesper looked at him just after saying those things about war between demons and humans. He started to wondered if him looking only human might give him some trouble in the future. But he didn't coment or shared those thoughtes with Vesper, thinking that if anything he could surely handle it himself.

Louis finished hos food just as Vesper started to talk about angels.

"So the demons and angeles are really just the same except for the kind of magic they use... Have your guy’s ever found halfbreeds between humans and angeles?"

• 8 months later...

'How interesting. You like antiques too. Is there anything of sentimental value you'd like to have brought down? I can't make any promises but I can try to send someone to your house to collect anything you need,' he offered. Vesper smiled and inclined his head. 'Thank you. It is greatly appreciated. I will have to ask you to wash your hands before we move it... and don't touch it after that.'

Seeing that Louis had finished his food, Vesper stood up and took his rubbish to the nearby bin. He looked at the bin for some time, thinking how dirty it was, before placing the cardboard containers on top. The bin was already full but he didn't particularly feel like carrying rubbish around with him. It was dirty.

'Yes, they are similar beings. In essence, we are brothers,' Vesper said mildly. He nodded at Louis's question. 'Why yes, there are crossbreeds between angels and demons, though not as many as humans and demons or humans and angels. It's more the difference in location that divides people. The skies are a long way from the underground.['

'Angel-demon crossbreeds aren't forbidden but they only really get to see one parent. They're sent to the skies or the underground after birth, depending on which race they look more like. It's not an exact way of determining where they should end up and many get shifted between locations during puberty when their powers or personalities show themselves. Those who don't fit in one place are sent to the other.'

Vesper sanitised his hands yet again after touching "rubbish" then waved Louis over. It was time they went shopping.

Louis first just shoke his head. "I don't need any furniture or that" he answered as his head stopped, Louis still didn't plan on staying after the test had showen them that he really didn't have any abnormal powers. But then he remember that there might just be one thing he would like to have with him. "But I do have something, though it's okay if it can’t.. I have this very old small wood chest with an worn thick lock, it isn't heavy but there are some very privat things inside of it I could use" Louis didn't try to offer any explanation for what was in the chest and he really hoped that he didn't need to know since it was kind of embarrassing to speak it out loud.

"If it has to be looked through then it dosen't matter" Louis tried not to seem tense and he succeed well keeping up his professional calm face as he threw his trash away.

Their conversation about Angeles and demons had proven quite informativ but for now he felt that dealing with both would be too much of a headache and to just focuse on the one he was dealing with now, though it was good to know if he ever should meet one when he got back upstairs.

Louis got his last glance around the park as he followed Vesper back towards the streets. Actually aside from it's people the city seemed like another, although en wasn't quite comfortable with the way most looked at him. A kid or what he thought had been a kid, had stopped dead with his parent as they caught the sight of him and though it wasn't in a hatefull way, Louis still felt bothered about it and lower his face and moved just a bit closer to his ward.

Vesper looked at Louis and raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "Very private" What could that mean? Vesper wasn't the most sexual being so it didn't occur to him that Louis might have sex toys. Vesper was very basic about his needs when he had certain urges. He locked himself in the shower and touched himself, that was it. When he was done he scrubbed himself raw.

'It will no doubt be examined whether or not they're brought here,' Vesper replied. 'There is still an investigation underway scrutinising both your parents. If you have any hidden mementos, the team will want to know about them.'

As they walked, Vesper noticed that Louis was getting close to him. He looked up and saw the small demon looking at Louis as if he were a freak. Vesper continued to stare at the small demon until the mother pulled the kid away and scolded it for staring.

'I'm afraid half-castes who look human are subjected to all sorts of unwanted attention,' Vesper said with a sigh. He clenched his hands a moment but didn't reach out to wrap a comforting arm around the man. It was just too much for him, even if he wanted to show support. 'I hate to sound cruel but you'll just have to develop a thicker skin. The staring isn't likely to stop so long as you are down here. I'm sorry.'

They walked a little way before Vesper spoke up again.

'You know, your unique appearance could work in your favour. There are very few people down here who could convincingly pass as a human. With your humanly good looks, you're bound to get work as a model or actor. I could find out about agencies for you if you wish,' he offered. After all, demons still had promotions, advertising and movies. Still, the potential of a new career in the underground would have to wait until the later stages of Louis's rehabilitation.

They walked several streets until they came to an older looking shop with gold frames around its windows. The gold polish was chipping though and needed a good clean. Above the door hung a sign that said "Mr. Ormington's Opportunity Store" in gold lettering. Vesper walked forward, held the door open for Louis and stood aside to let him enter.

"F###!" Louis cursed out louder than he had expected, earning a few looks from demons around them. The halfbreed just slamed his jaw close as his eyes found the ground really interesting right at that moment while a thick coat of embarrassment covered his face with a nice pinkish red.

It hadn't exactly been sextoys he first had thought about, but he did own at least one dildo for bad days and that box didn't even have a lock on it. It was just under his bed, out of view but still reachable.

A small relieved sigh left Louis when the kid no longer starred openly at him and whispered a small "Thanks"

"Yeah it suspected that but.. It drifferent from what I'm use to" Louis explained still pretty worried about living i a place like this. "I get that not many would like humans.. some apparently do but.. It isn't a look I would normally receive"

(well expected from a few jealous boys I know) Louis told himself and smiled a bit by the memory.

"Work?.. Here? eeeh su-re but I hadn't done things like acting sinds middle school, and I really don't think many would want to look at some one how looks like the kind of people who remind him or her what they went through of in the human world. But I'll think about it"

Louis quickly followed Vesper up the two steps up to the door where he guessed was the right place.

The store looked well kept from the outside, nothing like some of the run down stores he had been to on his time.

He pasted Vesper in the door as the door was held for him and went ahead futher into the store. There weren't a soul inside and any noises from the outside world quickly died as the door behind them closed. The store would had layed in complete silence in not for the ticks variously clocks almost looking as if they were painted to the back of then easten wall.

It wasn't a scary atmosphere, if anything it seemed relaxing and calming with a spark of charm in it own little way. Bookcases stood tall on each side of the clock display and futher down furniture and other antiques stood sorted and cleaned though he expected some of the books might still have a bit of dust on them.

All of these new things could give Louis enough stuff to look at while Vesper inspected the clocks, but it wasn’t exactly books that caught his attention right at first

There were this glass cabinet over by the case register with all kinds of more rar antiques like jewerly and such, but what really held Louis's gace ever the clear crystals over in the futher end of the cabinet.

('Stop this!' Louis scoulded himself while his eyes was til glued to the stones. 'you don't need those things down here')

It was just some weird hobby of his anyway, one Louis always had found to embarrassed to speak about since it was so not his image to collect pretty things but sometimes he felt a bit like a magpie, a bird whom gather everything it found pretty or shiny and brought it back to it's nest.

"I'll go look over there" Louis said while pointing over at the bookcases when he turned back to look at his warden.

Vesper tensed up and stared at Louis as if he'd gone mad. He kept staring a moment before he finally got the picture and his eyes went wide. He immediately looked away.

'Oh... well,' was all he said. He knew the other inspectors would have a snicker and probably throw it around like a hot potato. Vesper really did not want to think about Louis and sex toys. Sure, the man was attractive with his blonde hair and purple eyes but Louis was his ward! Not to mention, Vesper wasn't even sure if he was attracted to men or women. 'I'm sure you'll get them back. If you do happen to... um... use them... please do so in the shower rather than the bed.'

'You'll get used to it, I'm sure,' Vesper said in as reassuring a tone as he could muster. It was all part of being a warden, all part of the process. 'I imagine it's much the same for half-demons in the human world. It is hard at first but it becomes easier until you barely notice it any more.'

'You'd be surprised,' Vesper replied. 'Things like milk, eggs and cheese all come from the surface. Advertising agencies often use human-like models to show their products are 100% human made.'

Once inside the store, Vesper went up to the counter and greeted the man serving there. The man sure was intimidating and leaned forward to give Vesper a sharp-toothed grin. The way he spoke made it sound like he was threatening Vesper but the smaller man didn't even bat an eyelid. As they were talking, the man gave a loud groan and pointed to the back of the store. Vesper thanked him and turned around.

'I'm sure you'll get them back. If you do happen to... um... use them... please do so in the shower rather than the bed.'

Louis turned to his warden with a confused frown before his face then turned pale. "Just what are you imagine! NO wait I don't even wanna hear it" Louis huffed annoyed feel rather insulted. He shouldn't really care what the demon thought about him but it still annoyed him it was so little.

Louis watched as Vesper went over to talk to the demon behind the counter. 'Badass' he couldn't help but being impressed by how Vesper didn't even blink when the demon clearly was towering over him with that big demonic smirk.

Louis tried to stay out of it and out of view still rather pissed at him warden for coming up with that nasty remark about his sex life, but as the demon pointed and waved Vesper away Louis was left alone with that ugly thin starring right back at him.

"Something specifik you are looking for?" the demon's voice sounded more like an growled than a actual question.

Man he had to man up, just like Vesper had told him to. Taking in a big breathe he put on a calm smile as he approached the disk.

"Yeah, do you have thing like cook books? I'm looking for a simple one with the basics in it" Louis asked the demon straight forward as he stood infront of the enormous demon just sitting in his chair with a book in his lap.

For the first few seconds the man kept quiet, impressed that this still human smelling newcomer had this big balls to act up and keep his calm.

The demon smirked, thinking that this would only be temporary since the guy knew the effekt his looks had on most newcomer, even some smaller demon would avoid him. "Mnh, lets see try over there" the demon replied as he pointed over at a small session of books by the glass cabinet. "They are at the bottom shelf, the the right side are more like kids cook books but it's gets more advanced the futher left you go"

"Thank you" Louis flashed the guy a smile and with quite steps headed to the session he had been recommend.

Vesper blinked and looked confused a moment. He must have been completely wrong for Louis to take affront like that. Should he apologise or just let this one go?

'What are you embarrassed about if they're not... pleasure toys? Demons have toys too, though I think we have a lot more of them and use them a lot more often. Demons don't really have the same... sexual hiccups... as humans. At least, most of them,' he said, then hesitated. He wasn't going to admit it but his mysophobia prevented him from having sexual relations with anyone. If information like that got out, he'd be a laughing stock.

At the back of the store, Vesper began looking over old timepieces and gadgets. He was reluctant to touch any because they were covered in dust and no doubt millions of germs from their previous owners. Yes, the store owner would have cleaned them before putting them out on display but not to Vesper's standard. He stood there and looked at them from different angles as he tried to decide which were worth handling. Most mechanisms worked the same way but sometimes he was lucky enough to find something he could study for weeks on end. He couldn't really see from the outside how they worked so it could be something basic or it could be something completely novel. He'd have to pull them apart to do that.

Finally, Vesper found one that impressed him enough to pick it up. It was in poor working order but it had a lot of different functions. He figured he could play with it a little while, see how it worked then fix it. Once it was working, he'd decide whether to keep it or sell it on. He really didn't need more of the things clogging up his workshop but he liked breathing new life into antiques. After much deliberation, Vesper finally picked the thing up and began to dust if off gently with his fingers. He tilted it this way and that to get a better look at the back and bottom before looking around to see where Louis was. Hopefully the young man wasn't still upset about the pleasure toys comment.

'Did you find anything you like?' he asked in a soft voice as he approached. 'I can help you look if you like. Do you want to go for quick and easy or more traditional?'

"Ahh, please stop okay, I'm not made any more, I don't have any problems with my sexual preference, but I aren't some horndog who needs sex like a drug." Louis huffed not liking how the conversation had turned. It was impressive how Vesper had explained demons open sexualty, but he would rather not starte to imagine what some of those beast did to each other. He really doubt he would ever get layed down here anyway the way every small things still terrified him, no way he would get it up with any time soon.

However when the demon slipped that last part in Louis stopped to wonder what kind of types Vesper were interested in and how the other managed when he had that thing about touching others.

He could kind of imagine Vesper jerking off in the shower, but a partner? "Do you have a partner?.. I mean, I don't want things to start up awkward and if you want me out of your house to have space it's okay" He asked and though he tried not to it still felt awkward just saying it out loud. Louis scratched the back of his head as he pretend to look at something through one of the stores windows.

He wasn't startled this time when Vesper's voice broke the silence around him and looked back from his spot kneeling infront of the books stacked in the corner.

"Mnh, something easy to read and do" Louis answered as he turned back to look through the stacke again with a sigh. "I didn't say this before but I can't really cook much.. I can do pasta and cut a salat but I normally easily burn thing" Louis avoid looking back at the other as he admitted one of his biggest flaws.

• 3 months later...

'I didn't say demons were "horndogs who need sex like a drug". We just don't find it am embarrassing subject and don't find it "impure" to have sex before marriage or any of that nonsense,' Vesper explained lightly. He could see that Louis was getting uncomfortable with the thread of conversation but some things needed to be said. He didn't want Louis thinking demons were sexually depraved, sex-hungry monsters. They were just more accepting of the idea of sex between consenting adults and weren't as shy about talking about it. 'We might as well be talking about the weather. There's nothing wrong with sex.'

Vesper shook his head quietly and looked down at the timepiece in his hands.

'No, I don't have anyone. I'm very unlikely to bring anyone home in the time you'll be living with me,' he said. Well, it was a possibility but so was the possibility that all the stars in the night sky would die in the night. He didn't really know what he was missing and it didn't bother him as much as one might expect. He figured the act of having sex would be far too germy for his liking anyway. He would much rather enjoy himself in a long, hot shower with the few toys he did keep in his bedroom. He didn't keep them in the bathroom cupboard in case his wards found them.

'Oh,' was all Vesper replied when Louis said he couldn't cook.

The thought of someone who could burn pasta cooking in his kitchen troubled him. What if Louis burnt something? What if he shattered the glass stovetop? What if... what if... what if? The thought of coming home to a ruined kitchen made Vesper very nervous and for a while he didn't say anything.

'In that case, don't cook anything unless you are sure you can manage it,' he said finally. 'If that means you have to survive on salads while I'm at work, so be it.'

Vesper hated to be mean but what was the other option - Louis taking on something he couldn't do and burning down the kitchen? Sure, Vesper could afford the repairs but it would mean having workmen tramping their large boots all through his pristine home. It would be an invasion to him. He'd have to be there to oversee everything that happened while wanting to hide in his room the whole time.

'I'm going to enroll you in cooking classes. You don't have any say in this. You have enough time on your hands and it will get you out of the house and meeting people,' he explained. The only thing was, Louis would be doing the cooking classes with fullbred demons, which might be a bit more than Louis could handle. Vesper thought about it while they looked for books. He picked one up and flipped through it. It had lots of pictures and the text font was fairly large.

'"My First Cookbook." This one's for children but it has some nice recipes in it. Here,' he said, holding the book over for Louis to read. 'Or are you looking for something a bit older?'