Yoroshiku desu. Newbie.

masakikoh

Hi, everyone. I dunno how I stumbled on this site, to tell you the truth. Down the rabbit hole that is the Internet and here I am! Sort of like Alice going to Wonderland, no doubt.

Well, a bit about me: I'm a guy originally from the US. I taught myself Japanese before university and then ended up majoring in Japan Studies. I lived in Japan for work, where I was a translator and interpreter. While there, I was of course making friends and dating, as well. So, I guess I know the Japanese LGBTQ community firsthand from relationships and friendships, but I am completely clueless with anime/manga culture. I only went to Akihabara when I was acting as interpreter/tour guide for student groups, I'm afraid. In particular, I don't know much about this genre of anime/manga, although it's become well-known both in Japan and outside. I think I knew it was sort of hitting the mainstream cultural awareness when it was featured on GAYCATION with actress Ellen Page.

Anyway, I'm a total newbie to BL/yaoi. You might ask why I'm here. Well, I'm interested in the paradox in Japan between the experiences of LGBTQ-identifying individuals in Japan (little mainstream acceptance; low visibility in society) and this genre of fiction, which is produced for the consumption mainly of women within Japan itself. It seems quite a paradox, which is fascinating to me as a lover of social sciences and someone generally interested in people.

Maybe a slightly unusual case for this forum, but I hope to help you by translating some manga. I translate mostly complicated technical documents all day, so it would be fun to translate something creative and be able to work on dialogue and such. I mean, I spent a lot of time in Japan every day talking and on the weekends being with friends or my significant other, so I think the dialogue would be a fun refresher. More interesting than telling you how to run your DVD player.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• masakikoh

• rainbowman

• ~Mitsukuni~

• xKai

tumblr_nz96rcZarq1rvbipmo2_500.gif

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
san Welcome to YaoiOtaku... :)

wow, I think it was amazing,

san. if you are interested, translating a manga genre "yaoi / BL" I suggest you to contact an admin or global moderator
san and
san for more information. thankyou... :)

well, to be honest I also just learned about "yaoi / BL". so, if you do not mind, we can share information. though, chances are I can not be of much help... hehehe... :) ok, I hope you can enjoy here and find what you're looking for... :) thank you... :)

Hi

!

Welcome to YO, I hope you have a great time and lots of fun!

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

:leaf:

attachment.php?attachmentid=36410&d=1471272332

Yo

welcome to YO. Nice intro btw really sums up something bout you. If you want to translate here you can apply through
(admin) or
(global mod) although I already saw you posted on YO's translation thread.

Anyways enjoy the rest of everything here. There's just so much more about LGBT not only the ones we gree up or knew recently. Have fun and feel at home. :)

Hi Masakikoh, it's nice to meet you and welcome to the Forum! Nice to have you here on YO! I hope you enjoy yourself here and make new friends! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. (;

S5L3aOgVqbzhK.gif

i really like the comparison you used of ending up on this platform, since this is a BL wonderland as you will soon realize :cuteonion52: and if you "hang out" with us i'm sure you'll learn a lot about BL/ Yaoi in no time! looking forward of seeing more of you!

Anyway, I'm a total newbie to BL/yaoi. You might ask why I'm here. Well, I'm interested in the paradox in Japan between the experiences of LGBTQ-identifying individuals in Japan (little mainstream acceptance; low visibility in society) and this genre of fiction, which is produced for the consumption mainly of women within Japan itself. It seems quite a paradox, which is fascinating to me as a lover of social sciences and someone generally interested in people.

Welcome to YO, very impressive and interesting introduction you had there. Please enjoy your stay and hope you teach us a little about your findings. I have a background in the social sciences as well and observation is key. :)

Thanks for all the warm welcome messages, everyone. I appreciate your kind regard for yours truly. Pretty excited for the prospects of translating Manga to keep you entertained and/or titillated. Haha. Cheers and happy Boxing Day to you.

Oh my... First of all, welcome on YO! (Sorry for the late answer, these days are quite hectic). Your introduction enthralled me! Hope you have a great time on this forum.

I can totally relate to what you said ^^ I do love social sciences as well and one of my main searches (in socio-anthropology field) is related to transgender people (more specifically Okama) but I more generally interested in all that is related to sex representation in Japan and its paradox (as you pointed it out). I never thought I would encounter someone like you here and if you were to become a member of our translation team, that will be even greater!

Thanks, everybody. In the meantime, I have been posting to a new thread I've created in the Jmusic sub-board.

If you have interest in discovering a very diverse body of music you might not know, please enjoy listening to some of the songs and reading their fantastic lyrics. I'm doing one song from each year from 1990-2000, one per year through the decade and then beginning again at 1990. It's my hope that you will discover some artists whose music you can appreciate and perhaps support by buying their music. Lots of them are still singing but are not on the top of the charts any longer, which is a pity given their talent.

Hello

and welcome to the forum. Different from the usual introductions but it's nice that our community attracts such a great and wide variety of people. Welcome again and hope you have a great time with us!

• 4 months later...