Warmth in the Ice [Private, 18+] [SapphireD910 & InkcompleteWish]

SapphireD910

Ethan was a man that adapted to situations quite easily. So he didn’t start questioning everything right away. The ‘fun’ he had with Dante was one of these things. It felt good in different ways and now after the act it wasn’t a thing to be ashamed of. Trust didn’t come easily here and Ethan might be a bit too naïve at certain points but people rarely abandoned a group and since other’s would rather kill everyone and take the stuff. It wasn’t easy joining another existing group of people. So even if he might not be able to trust everyone fully in this group, he could have trust that they won’t betray the group in a whole. Thankfully Ethan had a role here so he won’t be ‘accidently’ left behind by the others. Ethan was attracted to Dante, be it looks or personality. So why shouldn’t he be allowed to have a bit of happiness. Others of the group were allowed to date anyone they wanted. Only if it created friction inside the group it would be brought before the leader. So Ethan didn’t feel bad about what they did and he wouldn’t mind if it continued though he probably would never tell Dante this outright.

So after his little daily spat with the leader he left the tent and glared at the guard after receiving yet another biting comment. “Well, at least he didn’t take actions yet I guess…” the doctor spoke to himself. He had to be even more careful now. Though he was crucial to this groups survival it wouldn’t do if he someone got kicked out of it due to his ‘disobedience’. “Bullshit…” he muttered, remembering the leader’s words. So caught up in his thought’s he didn’t notice Dante standing at the side and only stopped walking after he heard the other’s voice. “Oh, you are here already. Uhm….well I guess I am alright. It’s always like this so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.” Ethan admitted. Almost instantly his old thought’s vanished. They weren’t anything to get angry about anyway. “Well, I don’t know if you heard or not. The leader says we should stake out the west for today. I told him I saw some plants that could be useful. I will just get the equipment and some provisions and then we can go if you are ready.” he said with a large smile. It was always fun to get away from the group for a little time. It gave the doctor some peace and quiet to think about some stuff and relax.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SapphireD910

• InkompleteWish

His head shot up as the doctor exited the tent in almost a storm of frustration. Probably the most frustration he'd ever seen of him against his normally calm and even positive demeanor most of the time. He gave a slight snort as the other man walked a bit without acknowledging him in his heated state, but instantly felt his spirits perk when Ethan caught on to his presence. Despite his assurances that things were fine, or at least normal, he'd heard Ethan walking out cursing. It wasn't really his business to get between the doctor and their leader, but he wasn't really up to just accepting things were alright. "You can talk to me later if you ever want to." That was all he left it at. He neither wanted to seem overbearing suddenly nor like he couldn't offer something more than the very physical offerings they'd shared thus far.

His eyes ached already, wanting to curl back up in the tent and feel that warmth he'd nearly forgotten could come so easily between two people. He rubbed his eyes with an exposed base of his palm and then made sure to tuck the gloves into his sleeves again. He'd be sure to bundle up a little tighter outside the camp, but he didn't want to feel weird and hinder communication prior to setting out by covering his face against the cold. Luckily for the time being the weather appeared to be dry with the biting cold, rather than wet that could seep down and freeze the body more easily.

Dante patted his back where his sack hung. "I guess you could say I'm paranoid. I always keep a good supply of things packed and almost always keep the pack on me, in case there's only a moment before you have to go." He looked away from Ethan and out to the rest of the camp. He knew that was a morbid thing to share, but it wasn't like he hadn't been in those situations. Maybe even Ethan had one, where there was no time to search and gather, you just had to go. "I'll help you round up what you need." He softened a bit turning back to the other man with a gentle smile. "I'm happy to be of some use... to you especially." He didn't let the moment linger, feeling too emotional suddenly, instead turning to head to their tent and load up what the doctor needed. "I have a tool to dig and some things to store any materials we find. Oh... and a couple of weapons. One on my body and one strapped to my pack. What else do you usually need when you head out?"

It was nice that Dante cared for him. Even offering to listen if he needed to rant. Ethan wasn’t a person that easily exploded so after cursing for a few minutes he would be ok again. It was handy when confronted with bad situations. Frankly Ethan never really got so angry that he physically attacked anyone. It was just not in his nature and most times he would just brood around in his tent and cursing the one responsible so mainly the leader. “Thanks. Don’t be sorry that you offered though.” the doctor replied and laughed.

Only know did he notice the cold again. His anger was fading away and the cold seeped into the places it left. With a shudder he bundled himself up again. He forewent the scarf, hat and gloves since he would just visit the leader before preparing for their ‘excursion’. His stuff usually was packed already mostly and he only had to add a few things now and then. “Well, most of the stuff is packed already I just have to get the bag. I need to get a new knife from Paul though. My old one broke last time and I didn’t have the time to ask Paul for a new one yet.” the doctor informed the other male but didn’t add that the knife was usually also his only weapon. Ethan wasn’t a good fighter and he was shit at aiming. He was so bad that the leader actually forbad him to wield a gun since he might accidently hit his own people. So Ethan, if worst comes to worst, only fought with his minimal strength and the knife. That’s why he was usually assigned a team of guards when he went out but they did more damage than actually helping so Ethan was really happy that he had Dante to rely on now. It’s not like anything really happened to him when he went out during these outings.

“I have all the tools in my bag back in the tent. I need a new blanket though. I usually take a bit of medicine and stuff with me since you never know what could happen. Once a guy’s ankle got stuck between two rocks and he almost broke it. We had to find a little place to rest for a while and well, it wasn’t a pleasant experience to sit there without blanket stuck in a snowstorm.” Ethan told the other and slowly made his way towards the Cook’s tent to get his new knife. Ethan didn’t miss the innuendo in the other’s words and couldn’t stop a little blush to form. Damn, he wasn’t used to be flirted with. Given the forming relationship between them it would be better to get used to it. It was almost cliché, a rose-colored relationship forming in this icy world.

• 2 weeks later...

Dante secured the straps of his pack tight around his body as they gathered up the last few things for Ethan's use. "I may have a spare blanket you could roll up and fit in a pack. Not the thickest or largest thing, but for emergencies it should do." He reached into the tent and rummaged through his other bag a second pulling out a light wool blanket. "There were times this was all I had to manage." His words were followed by a visible shudder before he set to rolling it up tight to fit in the doctor's pack. "Here." He said, handing it to other man.

He then knelt down in front of Ethan in a manner that might seem provocative to any onlookers, and he casually wrapped his arms between and around one of his legs, strapping something there. "It's a small knife, but it's high on your thigh for quick reaching, if you're ever separated from your pack you'll still have it, only down side is it's visible so surprising anyone with it may be pointless." He stood and shot the young doctor a soft expression. "But I'll do my best to prevent you really needing it other than a quick utility knife." Dante looked around them almost suspiciously for a moment before leaning in close. "If you'd like to get better with these things, just let me know and we can practice."

He pulled the scarf over his mouth and goggles down over his eyes, making him look ready for an intense mountain climb. "I'm ready, lets head out," he said slightly muffled by the fabric. They made their way to the gates where the guards stood watch. "Ethan Kain and Dante Hill. Excursion for medical supplies and any possible food." The man and woman gave gruff looks to the two of them.

"No one else?" the woman asked.

"We're not going too far, the doctor needs to explore, he needs less people to draw attention to bandits, but even the leader doesn't want anyone doing anything alone. I offered to watch and support." The guy gave a snort to the response that Dante couldn't quite place without looking at his face. Nonetheless the two moved for the gates to open the let the two pass.

Dante tried to ignore the sense he was getting off the other man and stuck close to Ethan as they headed out. "I'll let you lead the way from here. If you have a good spot or a new spot, I'm here to help. But we should stay close being our first time out just the two of us."

• 1 month later...

Just like promised it didn’t take long to get all the needed stuff together. A blanket, some easy meds for smaller injuries some jars to store the fragile ingredients he might find, a few plastic bags for the plants and a little ration of food and water for their journey. They had to travel without a lot of luggage but Ethan was adamant to pack at least more than enough if a dire situation should arise. It wouldn’t do if he died while collecting medicine to help the group survive and if this new world taught him something, it was to always expecting anything and be as best prepared as possible. He thanked Dante when he handed him the blanket but otherwise ignored the other male due to his thoughts. //There was a patch of promising looking vegetation a couple of miles away. Maybe we should look there but it was also an open area and I think there was even a sea…..//

After hoisting up the bag he mentally went over everything again. His scarf, gloves and hat were clutched in his hand and his eyes stared at the distance. These executions were always dangerous. If they were only a few then it was easier to rob them. Ethan was no genius but he tried to envision every possible scenario that could happen and if he had ways to stop them from happening. He only came back to earth when he felt the other fastening something on his leg. With an astonished gaze he eyed the sheath with its knife. His butcher knife was usually tucked onto the side of his backpack so having a smaller knife at hand would be a great help. “Thank you. That should give me a bit more defense than before. I know how to use a knife but I am queasy attacking someone. I am a doctor so I fix people up and not hurt them; it’s a bit bothersome in some situations. But I guess I need to so I would appreciate it if you could help me.” the doctor politely said, falling back into his old habit.

Without further words he started putting on his gloves, etc. and followed Dante slowly so he wouldn’t trip while securing everything. Just like everyone else running around in the snow he looked like a guy that’s ready traveling around Antarctica, not like there are any differences between their countries now. Since Dante was gladly taking over the talking with the guards the young doctor only nodded when they passed them. His voice was muffled “Yeah, I saw a promising place before we sat up camp here. It looked like a dangerous area though, open space, lots of bushes to hide in and I think a lake or something of a kind next to it.” and started treading ahead. It didn’t snow that heavily so Ethan could thankfully see where he was walking.

It didn’t take long for them to arrive and Ethan stopped before setting foot into the little valley. You could easily see the little lake from their spot and the mentioned bushes, some looked like over 1,90 meter tall. So somebody could hide behind them. After a little while of eyeing the place he deemed it safe enough and started climbing down the little ridge that they stood on. The lake should be frozen enough to walk on it but Ethan didn’t take any chances and walked along the little riverbed towards a little patch of frozen plants. It looked like he could use some of it so he went down on his knees and started to look them over careful to try and see if he knows what they are and what they can do.

Dante felt hesitation when he saw the spot that Ethan had led them to. It was so open and bare with so many trees spread around the surrounding area. He could tell the doctor was eager to explore something he may have seen before, and the space seemed like few others would really take an interest in without the skills and knowledge of a physician. Still he was on guard deciding to stay out of range from Ethan, instead scoping out the bushes for anyone hiding.

He watched and heard the other man skuttle down to the edge of the lake. He seemed to instantly find something of interest, but Dante avoided calling out for confirmation. Maybe they'd need to work on a signal system. Ear tugs, finger points, arm gestures and the like, maybe. He laughed lightly at the thought as it reminded him of old days of team sports.

Dante stopped, suddenly noting a difference in the snow depth. It appeared that there were old footprints heading to the lake opposite of their camp. It hadn't snown in a few days, so it had to have been at least that long, but t meant they weren't in a place devoid of others, and who knew if their camp wasn't on someones radar. Otherwise the perimeter seemed clear. He made his way close to Ethan to warn him the situation.

"Ethan, we... can't stay here too long." He bent down close to the other male to whisper and watch him gather a few plants. " I hope the cells haven't been damaged on those." He looked around and tried to listen for any approaching steps. "I think someone maybe tried fishing here. I say we come back and set up a net or something. But I see signs of someone from the opposite direction."

Dante helped Ethan package and store the few plants, nervously eyeing the space around them. Suddenly he heard the sound of something cracking and quickly ducked Ethan down and covered his body with his own. Still looking around he saw nothing still, making him even more uneasy. "Stay down, alright?" He whispered against Ethan's temple. "Hear a struggle, run."

Dante leapt up seeking out the noise, seeking some rustling from one of the bushes. He drew his knife, wishing he had a ranged weapon for times like this. He looked for prints, finding a trail of disturbed snow near one of the bushes, however, he cocked his head looking over the spot. The path appeared small, too small, and that's when he saw the small wiggle of a nose. "Well look at you. I imagine if I tried to grab you for stew you'd outrun me." He laughed, just barely able to make out the rabbit. But suddenly sprinted nonetheless.

After a bit of running Dante returned to Ethan with an exhausted smile. "Sorry about that, just a rabbit out to spook us," he grasped the other's arm in reassurance. "Lets come back and try a few traps and a line for the lake. If someone steals, we know this isn't safe, if we find catches then theres a chance those prints were a fluke that moved on and we can at least try for some catches here. What about the plants, think any of them can still grow back?" He asked, but in these conditions he wasn't that hopeful himself.

Working was as easy as breathing to him. Scrolling to his mental catalogue of information it was easy to identify symptoms or which medicine has which agent. Ethan want to work with a different mindset, focusing so hard on the problems shown to him that he sometimes forgot his surroundings. It got better since he had to force himself to be more wary of stuff happening around him. So after checking the area once and listening for a few minutes he deemed it safe. Maybe he was too careless but until now his luck kept him safe. It was a lesson he still had to learn sadly so he was really happy to have someone around he could trust. So while he was looking through the scrub he left Dante to look at their surroundings more diligent.

When Dante began talking he momentarily stopped but continued after listing to what the other said. “Hmmm. If we thaw them the right way they should be still good, as if winter slowly changes over to spring. I usually always count that some won’t make it. Maybe I can even get some seeds to grow them…” he spoke, muttering the last part into his scarf. It would be hard to grow them but he can vaguely remember packing a solar lamp usually used to soften cramps or back pain but he can probably also use them to grow plants. The problem would be the sun. Taking that into consideration the doctor decided to do just that. If he succeeded they might not have to search for medicine that often.

“Well, maybe it was another group traveling trough but I’ll tell the leader after we get back.” he spoke softly. It made him indeed a bit nervous to know that someone else was here before them. After putting away the last of his hastily packed plants he was pushed towards the ground. He hadn’t heard the sound but trusted in Dante and laid still and silent. Thankfully his clothing wasn’t really colorful, only his scarf was bright red. So turning a head towards the direction where Dante left he readied himself to jump into action. He knew his importance to the group but he couldn’t live with himself if he left Dante to die without even trying to help. With that though he slowly drew the butcher knife and laid his hand beside his head to jump up if something should happen.

But his worry was without reason. Dante returned a bit winded but healthy and even smiling. He instantly relaxed and stood up to put away the knife. “Heh, getting spooked by harmless animals now, we are real scaredy-cats.” he joked around and looked at the little patch he collected from when the other spoke. “Yeah, maybe Paul will be less grumpy if we get him fresh food. I think we have some stuff to make traps and nets in the camp. And the plants….well in this weather, without real sun and warmth it will be hard for them to regrow. I might find more though and I thought about trying to grow them. I have a solar lamp and I think the leader has a little generator that I can use for that. He will just have to give up some of his luxury.” Ethan spoke with a mocking tone. After making sure everything was packed safely away he turned around to head partly back to camp. It didn’t feel good to return just yet so he wanted to explore more just not around this area. “Let’s take a little walk around the camp, maybe I can find more useful stuff.” and without waiting he made his way towards the slope they climbed down from earlier and started his way back.

Not even halfway up and he heard something crack. It sounded as if someone stepped on ice and while hanging from the slope he turned his head to look into the direction of the lake. Staring transfixed towards it he looked around the surroundings and barely saw a brush shake before everything was still again. Too afraid to make any hasty movements he continued to hang down and without turning his eyes he spoke in a low tone to alarm Dante “There was something at the other side of the lake. It was bigger than a rabbit though…” and left the comment hang, waiting for Dante’s directions to what he should do.

• 2 months later...

The hyper breathing that Dante was doing with the accelerated beating of his heart at this more likely threat caused the biting cold to get inside of him and nearly burn in his throat and lungs. His slight run around the lake wasn't helping him with his breath control. Whatever it was, he knew that it was fully aware of them and it didn't seem to be running away, so it was a creature bold enough to attempt to hold its ground against them.

He kept his eyes focussed in the direction of the noise and the subtle shifts in the brush and snowy ground. He placed himself in front of the doctor and between he and whatever was in the brush. Whispering over his shoulder, eyes never turning, he directed Ethan, "stay behind me, but be prepared to run. Not stop and look back. I'll hold it off if it comes to that, but you need to make it back to camp, they need you."

He swallowed deeply trying to sooth some of the cold dryness consuming his throat. "Also Ethan... if I say nothing else... thank you." He immediately moved into a defensive stance, his attention focussed on the nearby brush. "Alright, lets get you out where we can get a look at ya!" He pulled something from his pocket and tossed it into a nearby bush with signs of movement were coming from. Suddenly a loud yell came with a young man a bit younger than he or Ethan jumped out. He looked dirty, frost-bitten in places and he lunged right for Dante.

Dante shoved Ethan as far as he could from the direction the young man was coming for him. Dodging his forceful swipes with a large and jagged blade, Dante attempted to grab his arm and force him to drop the weapon, but he seemed to intent on a fight. Barely having a chance to look the man over, he did notice that in addition to frost-bitten patches on his face he appeared to have spots of blood from consuming something and eyes mad and unfocussed. It was a wonder the man had managed to approach them, probably on Dante's fault, he might have caught Ethan off guard, a thought Dante didn't need to dwell on right now, but if anything happened to Ethan on his watch and he survived, he might as well not return to camp. Looking at him made Dante feel queasy in some unfamilar way. It wasn't that the guy was grotesque on his own necessarily, but he seemed more unsettling and dangerous than he imaged an encounter with a human to be.

"Run, I'll deal with him!" he called to Ethan. He just had to make sure he got back to camp. Even in that moment the other man wringled his way out of Dantes stronghold and managed a cut into his arm. With a hiss Dante struck him to the ground, but the guy seemed to scurry to his hands and knees in desperation trying to move to Ethan now. Dante pulled his blade from his side and lunged for the guy, the two now tussling on the ground.