Falling Into Repeat (Raychu and Zombie) [18+]

Zombie_In_A_Box

Garret eyes widened a bit in surprise when the other squeezed his hand, giving a light squeeze back. A soft smile spread across his face as he thought about where to start. First, he used his free hand to get his radio, hitting the button as he spoke in the little gadget. He was a bit too proccupied to go get the medicine himself. He's just use the excuse he was helping a patient calm down. "I need one diphenhydramine, 50 milligrams and two ibuprofens, 200 milligrams. Room 13, patient Adam Clarkson." Letting go, after a few minutes, he got a notice that a nurse in training would be bringing that soon. He hoped so, he couldn't stand watching him in so much pain. He was trying his best here, though his best didn't really seem to be doing much in the effect. He sighed, focusing back on the other.

"Well, I live in a townhouse. It is a two story house, three story if you include the basement. I inherited from my grandmother before she passed. It has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, two living rooms, a kitchen, and a laundry room. It's small even though it has so much. My neighbors are elderly people so I try to keep it quiet, they don't make much noise either. Let's see, all the rooms are previously furnished from my grandmother, though I did replace a few couches and beds, finding the smell not the best," he laughed, trying to think of more to tell. There wasn't much to tell, it just had to be seen to understand. He liked his home, he didn't even need to pay rent for it. All he had to pay for was his taxes, though, he hated those a lot too. "It has this lingering flower smell from my grandmothers perfume, never got it to leave."

"Anything is alright to talk about, right? I guess I can talk about my family, if they visit, I don't need you to be confused by them. I have a younger brother, his name is Mason. I think he's in rehab again so you won't see him much. He was supposed to quit, he did for awhile, then he kind of fell back into the wrong crowd of friends. My parents are pretty accepting, I mean, they didn't kick me out when I said I was gay. My dad is the more laid back one, my mother the one who was strict and controlling. My brother is favored more, he could've been a lawyer or something as big as that. There really isn't much for me to say," he admitted, breathing more hot air on Adam's hand as he squeezed it a bit tighter. "They aren't as proud of me as you think of them to be. They are spoiling my brother and his bad habits more then they have ever congratulated me on."

Talking about his family was weird, he didn't like mentioning them, he just didn't have any better conversation topics. Unless he went more personal, like into his past relationships. He didn't like talking about them either, they were always with the wrong people. "I think if my brother met you, you two would get along. I'd get jealous, I don't want you to be captivated by his charming personality." Garret teased, though it was true. If his brother visited, it would be no good for him. It was like Mason wanted every guy he ever dated, to spite him for agreeing to send him to all those rehab centers. It was a grudge. Either way, he still loved Mason, even if he did constantly try and ruin his relationships. Garret didn't just think it was a grudge, he think Amazon got jealous when other people took the attention from him.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zombie_In_A_Box

• Raychu

Adam felt a sense of calmness and relief washing over him for a brief moment when his hand was squeezed back. He didn't expect that to be accepted so easily, honestly. He couldn't have lucked out any more with a nurse this time. Hell, this even made his pain seem like a minor setback - not for long, though. It was pretty hard to ignore or even push away pain that felt like all of his bones getting broken all over again every moment. All he could do was cling onto that warm hand and hope for the night to pass through quickly.

Adam found it a bit hard to focus on what Garret was talking about, but it was still a distraction, at least of some sort. The man let out a weak smile or even laugh from time to time, trying to distance himself from the negative shit at least a little bit. He always liked old houses, honestly. They just had that sense of pride, like an old beast. Most of those houses looked like they came straight from fairy tales, too, so that was a nice touch. Anything to help him escape from reality. It was funny, how desperately he tried to flee from real life.

Adam nodded slightly at the question, a small smile pulling at his cracked lips. Family. He found himself wondering if his family would accept him back if he got himself clean. Thinking about that, he almost missed the part when Garret said he was gay. It would've been hard to miss his surprised gaze as he opened his eyes, staring at the nurse. He'd never actually said it out loud like that before, it was... It was weird. "Your brother sounds like an asshole." He spat out, soon regretting it as he ended up biting his tongue, just like he thought he would. He clenched his teeth again, his tongue now safely behind them. The man leaned back against the pillow, breathing deeply, but shakily, through his nose.

Adam moved his twitching fingers slightly, entwining them with Garret's. "Tell me more about yourself. Your free time, your hobbies... Tell me about how you realized you were gay." The man asked, this time a bit uncertainly. He himself thought of himself as pansexual. He didn't really care about who he kissed or fucked, as long as it felt good. Hell, in the end he didn't even care if he fucked or was the one being fucked. If it felt good, it was a deal. He hadn't had actually good sex in a very long time, though. It would probably feel so nice to fuck on a bed, instead of the ground. A nice change, too. Hah, maybe someday he would actually get to experience how that felt again.

He rolled his eyes when the other decided to call his brother an asshole. Mason may have truly been an ass, that didn't mean anyone had the right to say it so freely. Only Garret had that kind of permission. He could admit it, he was willing to accept it, at the same time, it didn't mean Adam could say it. Thinking it, he couldn't prevent that. When it was voiced, he would put a stop to it. He wouldn't tiptoe around it either, he was going to be blunt with Adam about it. Not like he was trying to guilt him, he just didn't enjoy other people insulting his family. "Watch your tongue. He may be an asshole, he's still my asshole of a little brother. Only I get the right to call him out. You haven't even met him."

Looking at his watch, time was going by slowly. When was that girl going to be here? It's not like she was occupied by much, she wasn't in training, she didn't get many solo jobs. She should've made her way to their room by now. He continued to look at the moving hands, trying to force time to move faster. His head snapped up when Adam had intertwined their fingers, giving a soft smile. It felt nice to hold hands with people, even if that happened to be his patient, he wouldn't complain. He liked holding Adam's hand, it was warming to his heart.

"My hobbies? I don't have much. I write short novels to waste my time, I read classic poetry books, and I clean a lot. I don't like dirty places, I feel more accomplished with a clean home," he laughed. He cleaned a lot on the weekends, usually making large messes in the week. He'd get home late, throw his jackets and shows everywhere. Weekends were his time off, he had to fix the mess he made. Ethan meant he would do a deep clean all the time. Other than that, his life was pretty average. He didn't do much with his time when he didn't get enough of it.

"How I realized I was gay? Fuck, did I say that? I'm not supposed to say that. Don't tell," he said, putting a finger to his lips, squeezing Adam's hand lightly. He took the opportunity to glance at his watch once more before speaking. "It's not some amazing story, I promise you that. In middle school, there was this guy in my history class that I was fond of. At first I assumed it was just admiration, going into high school, I realized, it was a crush. Since then I've just known I was into guys."

Hearing the knock on the door, signaling the nurse was going to come, Garret was forced to retract his hand. He couldn't be seen doing that, it was unprofessional. If he was going to help Adam, he needed to keep what he was doing, covered. She brought him a paper cup with three pills inside, glancing at Adam.

"Is there anything else you need while I'm here, Garret?" She spoke softly, giving Adam a gentle gaze before looking back up at him.

"No, you are free to go. You should really take your lunch break soon before you miss it," he commented, watching her scurry off with a small squeak of realization. She was one of the only nurses who showed affection and sympathy.

"Alright Adam, I have the pills. Do you think you can take them? There isn't much I can do to help you with this. It'll help you sleep and ease some of the pain for now," Garret said softly, setting the paper cup on the tray as he looked over Adam. "Do you want to try?"

Adam smiled weakly, nodding slightly. "To be fair, I just said he sounded like one." He chuckled, squeezing Garret's hand a bit tighter as pain shot through his abdomen. Listening to what the nurse liked to do in his free time, the man tried not to feel jealous. He'd feel accomplished if he had one place to live in, with a roof and semi-decent walls. A place where in the winter he wouldn't have to be scared to not wake up anymore. It wasn't Garret's fault, but God, Adam really envied the people who hadn't fucked up their lives yet.

Adam's lips stretched out into a wider smile as Garret put a finger over his lips. "I won't tell a thing." He promised, letting out a breathy laugh. He was taken by surprise as his hand was suddenly released, dropping onto the sheets as he didn't expect to suddenly have to hold it up by himself. He closed his eyes, focusing on his breathing as he waited for the woman to leave the room. The man nodded, opening his eyes again as he reached for the pills with his trembling hand, then realized he'd probably just spill them. "Actually... Can you?" He asked, opening his mouth a bit wider. Instead, he stuck his hands under the blanket again, squeezing them between his thighs like before. He didn't intend to remove them anymore. If he could sleep, it would be perfect.

Once the pills were in his system, one way or another, Adam exhaled as slowly as he could, shifting in the bed slightly to lay a bit more comfortably. "Can you stay until I fall asleep?" He asked quietly, opening his eyes slightly to look at Garret. He'd already grown fond of the nurse. He was so nice to him. Nicer than his own family, that was for sure. "Oh, and... Maybe... You could try contacting, like... Lucile Clarkson?... If-If you can find any contacts..." Adam seemed almost scared as he requested that. The person he had in mind was his sister. Unknown to him, sadly, she'd passed away a few years back. No one bothered to find and tell him, of course, so he definitely still thought that his sister was still alive somewhere. Sure, she used to have suicidal tendencies... Come to think of it, he never saw them stop.

• 2 months later...

“Oh, of course,” he mumbled softly, dropping the pills in. That was the most he could do. Adam had to be the one to swallow them, the nurse couldn’t exactly do it for him. He sat back down, just studying the patient. There was so much for him to consider now that he agreed to house a stranger. Garrett didn’t find it to be that big of a deal that he took Adam in. Well, was planning on it once he was discharged anyway. This wasn’t his smartest decision. He had confidence it wasn’t his worst either. That would be his college years wasted out petty emotions such as jealousy. He watched his brother fall hard as he was acting like a child. Unaware. That was his worst decision. He was glad he fixed it in time. Garrett never understood why watching his brother fail motivated him so much. There was an opening for greatness? No. More like, he wouldn’t have his brother’s shadow casted over his own talents.

“I’m not supposed to spoil patients too much… I’ll make an exception for you. It’s not too much of a hassle to stay until you fall asleep. Though for your sake, I hope it’s not too long,” a wide smile on his face. It just amused the nurse to tease the patient he was dealing with. Why? Well, this was his natural behavior/ Maybe because Adam would be coming to live with him, he felt building a bond would be best. Without a bond there would be nothing except an awkward tension in the air. Isn’t it normal to want to build some sort of neutral relationship with your roommate? Of course you would, that shouldn’t even be a question. Garrett was going to form some sort of friendship even if it took the life out of him.

It didn’t take much for the nurse to realize how different their personalities the were. It could be a hassle if they started to clash at some point. Something that Garrett really didn’t want to happen. Fights would only cause a separation in the house. That absolutely could not happen. “Lucile Clarkson? I’ll let the ladies at the desk know in case they do find anything.” He took Adam’s hand in his own once more, giving it a reassuring squeeze. There was a few beeps on his walkie talkie in which he ignored. Someone else could handle the patients for a bit. They were so demanding and needy, not that Adam was being any better. Garrett was staying in there until he fell asleep. It was okay to let Adam be a little greedy, right? Right. It was always okay. Adam wasn’t annoying him.

Adam cracked a small smile at Garret's comment. "It's not the smartest thing to fall for someone like me." He laughed quietly, his eyes squeezing closed as pain washed over him again. It wasn't going away. It wouldn't go away. Even if he got completely clean - which in itself was a very faint possibility - the pain wouldn't disappear anywhere. The only thing that would make it better was drugs. He had a difficult choice to make - to live a painful, but at least somewhat stable life, or to live a painless life addicted to drugs... To change his lifestyle, or not to. He was scared of change, because he didn't know if he would manage. Judging from how he was feeling right now, he would fail miserably.

Adam gave a light squeeze to Garret's hand when they connected, breathing out slowly, but shakily. His fingers were still freezing cold. At least he could feel his feet now... That was honestly a relief. The man tried to relax his body as much as possible while his muscles burned and his bones broke - at least that was how it felt. By the morning this bed would be fully drenched in sweat... Not the most pleasant thought. Bit by bit, his hand relaxed against Garret's as the drugs worked. A lot slower than they would on a normal person, as his organism was so used to drugs, but still enough to make him fall asleep, at least into light slumber. The soft bed and warmth added to that as well, after all.

Adam woke abruptly at around four in the morning. His clothes were completely wet, as was his hair. He felt even worse than the day before. He felt like his throat was constricted by something. Out of habit, he scrambled around to find his bag and shoot himself up, but... It wasn't there. It still wasn't there. He had nothing to put him out of his misery. His breathing was heavy and ragged, while his body shivered and bile began rising from his already near-empty stomach. Turning to his side as much as he could, Adam found himself emptying what there was left from his stomach, his head pounding in incredible pain. Everything was spinning... He just wanted to die.

• 3 months later...

Garrett didn't clock into work until the late afternoon. It was his normal schedule unless there was an emergency and he got called in. Fortunately nothing happened and he was able to get decent sleep that night. Decent meaning barely any at all. The new patient— his soon to be houseguest lingered within his thoughts. What was he supposed to do after they released him? Sneak him into his car and make him wait? Could he really risk his stuff being stolen? It wasn't that big of a deal. Sure, the car was ridiculously expensive, he still could understand why Adam would steal it. Drastic situations called for drastic measures. Not that he didn't trust Adam, he did, or he wouldn't be inviting him into his house. Garrett saw no reason to be overly cautious of the man. Call him crazy, he just had a feeling this was the best thing to do. People deserved a second chance. Adam deserved a second chance.

Surely the nurse looked like a mess when he arrived. So many of his colleagues decided to comment on the bags under his eyes, the messiness of his hair, and his zombie like look. They should stop reminding him he didn't look somewhat good today. Everyone has bad mornings, today, was his. Normally he wasn't this out of it, however Adam was taking priority in his thoughts. Enough to interrupt his sleep for the night. Disappointing, it really was. He couldn't describe this feelings as nervousness or excitement, maybe more like it as expectancy. Soon Adam would be joining him in his house and it caused a sort of impatience. Either way, he was looking forward to his new roommate. It would take away the loneliness of his the place. Going home and sitting in an empty house only caused him grief. Even though he loved his family, he didn't exactly want to invite them over because of loneliness. They tolerated each other more than they got along.

"Adam?" Garrett popped into his room, hoping for him to be awake. He couldn't deny this unusual favoritism of a patient. His co-workers noted the new behaviors, even teasing him for checking on him more than others. He just didn't want this to get back to his boss. Being lectured about whether or not he was treating all their patients fairly was a waste of his time. In all honesty, he would prefer the cute and calm patient over the ones that attacked him with anything in their hand, including pillows.

The first half of his day was absolute hell. Adam couldn't stop throwing up, his body temperature rose enough to make his head spin purely from it. His head was throbbing in pain, his muscles were tense and he just felt so cold. He couldn't take it. There were nurses and doctors coming into his room, some fiddling with the IV's, adding bags of liquid, removing others, some just came in, took a look at his stats, wrote them down and left. He was sure he'd begged most of them for some kind of relief, at least a little bit of morphine, but no one would do it. Adam was just something to be taken care of as quickly and cheaply as possible, then thrown out the door along with other garbage.

When Garrett showed up in his room, Adam was feeling just a little bit better than when he initially awoke. "Hey..." He breathed out, his lips stretching out slightly as he attempted to give the nurse a smile. Withdrawal really wasn't a game. The pain he felt was so much, the sweat on his face was mixing with tears by now. And even through all this, he tried to smile, because he saw someone who showed care for him. Garrett showed him more compassion in that one day than many people have shown to him in years. He was immediately offered a place to live, a way to get back on his feet... Even though they were just strangers. This was more than what he'd ever hoped to get out of his life.

It took Adam a few seconds to take in the nurse's appearance. "Are you... Okay?.." He asked quietly, his voice strained slightly as he attempted to shift against the pillows although his muscles screamed in disapproval of any movement. But he wasn't important. Garrett was the one who looked horrible... Adam just looked the way he always did, so he didn't find it concerning even while drenched in sweat, nauseous and hurting all over.

"Am I okay? Worry about yourself," he murmured, walking over to Adam. Gently he placed a hand on his forehead, running his thumb against his head soothingly. How he looked didn't matter. This man in front of him was more of a concern. A good nights rest would fix him right up. Not Adam, he needed more than just sleep. Garrett was more worried about his soon to be roommate, knowing he was probably being tormented through the withdrawals. The nurse hated watching people go through this. It was painful just watching them hurt. Adam was no different, well, maybe it was slightly different. He felt a little bit more for this patient than the others. Which wasn't wrong, soon he'd be joining him in his home, it was alright to favorite him. There was nothing wrong with the way he was doings things now.

"Don't get offended, you look horrible. Is there anything I can do to make this a bit easier? Besides supply you with what you don't need." He couldn't laugh at his own comment. It wasn't funny watching anyone go through this pain. His hand traveled down to Adam's cheek, touching as lightly as he could. Any sort of roughness could cause more pain than this guy needed at the moment. Garrett was trying to make his stay at this hospital enjoyable... As much as it could be. The doctor's were rich douche bags, and the nurses didn't really seem to care much for their job. If anything, he was one of the rare ones who actually gave a damn about the place and the people within it.

"If I kiss you, do you think it'll magically make the pain go away?" This time he gave a slight smile. The drowsiness wasn't really helping to keep him energized. Garrett believed people fed off of energy. If his was good, maybe the patient's would feel just as happy as him. Only, it was more difficult when he wasn't all that happy at the moment. The goal was to make Adam feel better, not to make himself feel better. Losing sleep was minor to what this guy was going through at the moment.

Adam's eyes closed slowly as the nurse stepped closer. The hand on his forehead felt so soothingly cold... His lips pulled into a light smile at his next words, but he didn't reply after feeling the hand travel down to his cheek. His eyes opened uncertainly, though he leaned into the soft touch unconsciously. Oh... He shouldn't want touches so badly, but he did. He craved for more physical contact, especially something as soft and caring as this was. Garrett being here really made him feel better - not anywhere near good, or even remotely okay, but he could focus on something good instead of the excruciating pain flowing all over his body.

The suggestion actually managed to pull a soft chuckle from Adam's lips. "If only." He muttered out, letting his eyes close as he leaned back against the pillows, trying to get his muscles to relax. "I don't want to keep you from work..." He added quietly, his body shuddering. "B-But... You think you could get me a cup of tea? I'm freezing." The man spoke, opening his eyes to look at the other. He didn't dare ask any other nurse or doctor for any favors, aside from a bucket being placed next to his bed so he wouldn't throw up all over the floor again. With Garrett, though, he really did feel more comfortable. He wasn't so scared to ask his soon-to-be roommate of little favors like tea or a blanket. He would have a way to make up for any trouble he'd caused later.

Adam was ready to take over any household chores he could when Garrett took him in... Which he still found to be unbelievable, but he wanted to try. If it did end up being a sick joke, that would be the end of his life, there would be no point in trying any further. "And... Stay... As long as you can. Please." Adam decided to ask for this one thing, uncertainty obvious in his quiet voice. He hoped he wasn't asking for too much. What if Garrett already found him bothersome? Annoying?

Having Adam lean into his touch felt almost nice. Like, it wasn't in a creepy way or anything. It was a difficult feeling to explain. Maybe that he trusted him, even if a bit, to allow him to be touched by Garrett. Trust was going to be the key to having him move in. Without that trust, something would happen, most likely with Adam being kicked out back to the streets. That was the worst thing to do to someone like him. It was going to become a rule, he could only leave when he was completely back on his feet. It wasn't like he could force his new roommate to stay. It would just be nice if he'd stay long enough to be able function and not end up homeless again. The biggest worry the nurse had was that Adam fall back down the same path and he'd be back to square one. There was only so much Garrett could do for him before the patient had to take control of his own life.

"Don't worry! This is my work. I'd love to make you some tea," he hummed softly, pulling his hand away. They didn't have much for tea. If he searched, he might find someone than just black tea bags, however, that was too time consuming. He wouldn't leave Adam waiting for him for that long. Whether he wanted to admit it or not, Garrett did have other patients to attend to. Just catering to Adam could get him in a hell lot of trouble. This guy may have been going to become his roommate, that didn't mean he was liked enough for the man to lose the job eh genuinely liked. Favoritism was frowned upon. Ignoring your duties was ultimately worse in the end. Even if you favored a patient, as long as your job got down, it could be overlooked.

Without saying yes or no to Adam, the nurse quickly left the room, on a mission to make some tea. It took a bit longer than what would have pleased him, trying to properly heat the water. He could be inconsiderate like other people and just microwave the water, he'd seen it done before, that probably wasn't going to warm his favorite patient up. Even though it was only eight to ten minutes, it felt like hours, waiting. Garrett was the type of guy who needed to be moving. It was just natural for him to be up and on his feet constantly. That's what being a nurse was. Just sitting got boring and his legs would begin to go numb. Feeling like TV static from falling asleep.

Finally, Garrett got the tea finished. He didn't bring anything to add into it. He was already pushing it by giving a patient caffeine without being given permission. Secrets can be kept between two people. He doubted there was any merit for Adam if he did tell someone about the drink he was given. Basically, Garrett was spoiling him when he shouldn't have been. Too bad. People would get over it. His soon to be roommate would be out of there soon anyway. One cup of tea wasn't going to harm him, hopefully.

"Here you go handsome!" The nurse handed him the tea, though he made sure to hold it even as Adam took it from his hands. All Garrett needed was for him to get burned and injured. He would not be responsible for that. "It's hot. Be very careful. As in, let me help you to keep it steady."

"By the way, I'll stay for awhile longer. Sadly, other patients need my attention as well. Don't get too jealous though! I'd prefer to hang out in here with you. Since you've heard tons about me, why don't you tell me more about yourself?" Maybe it was from the movement, but slowly, Garrett was finally waking up. His body was re-energized and ready to go. Though it wasn't ready for anything crazy to happen. For example, a patient getting out of control. He may not be able to hold them down that easily today. Hopefully nothing like that happened.

Adam let out a relieved breath as his request for tea was taken. He couldn't stand feeling cold all the time. The pain alone was enough, if he could at least fight the feeling of becoming a solid cube of ice, his suffering would lessen. Perhaps only by so much, but even the slightest relief was welcome. Relief didn't come all at once when going through withdrawal, after all. One problem was tackled at a time. First, the ones that could be taken care of easily, while some only went away with time. It would all end... If he managed to keep himself in control after getting out of the hospital, that is.

Adam laid back against the pillows as he waited for Garrett to come back. Soon enough, the pleasant voice rang through his head like a blissful bell. He opened his eyes, lips pulling into a soft smile when he realized how he'd been called. "If you keep flirting with me like this, I'll get ideas." He chuckled teasingly, accepting the cup of tea with slightly shaky hands. It was a good call for Garrett to keep hold on the cup as well, otherwise the liquid would have spilled all over his body. His fingers snaked around the mug, the heat enough to make them ache. He didn't feel like pulling his hands away, however. Feeling pain was a lot better than feeling numb, that he was certain of.

Adam glanced up at the nurse once more as the question was asked, and for a few moments, silence stood. He tried to think of something positive to talk about. Everything that came to his mind was about his family or... Well, his past life, but everything from that was depressing to think about. He could focus only on how much he'd lost. "I... Erm..." Finally, he decided on just giving unimportant facts about himself. At least it would beat silence. "I love dogs." He began, a small smile tugging at his lips as he said it. "We never actually had one, but... I-I used to go to animal shelters and help out there, with dogs... I've always wanted one." His voice was soft, and somewhat nostalgic. He brought the cup to his lips, carefully taking a small sip. Oh... It was so strong. Even now he could remember he drank his black tea with both milk and sugar. Even if this cup was with neither, he liked it. Maybe it was because Garrett had made it? "I... Appreciate everything you've done for me." He muttered out quietly, well aware that he'd thanked the nurse many times before. It didn't feel like enough to just say thanks... He needed to show his gratitude in other ways.

Ideas? Garrett didn't really consider the ideas he may have been giving through his harmless flirting. The nurse hadn't really been in a real relationship for a few years. If Adam got any ideas, he wasn't sure how to feel about it. He didn't mind the other getting the wrong, or right ideas. Dating again wasn't a horrible option. He just didn't have the time for other people. To make time would mean to limit work, he would rather stick to the latter. If he could find someone who could understand his difficult schedule, he would be extremely pleased. Many people required his attention only on them. It didn't always work the way people wanted. Garrett would prefer time to himself as well, however, he needed to make a living. Maybe if it was Adam, he would understand the nurse's situation?

"Dogs? I don't preferably love them as much as you do, I can enjoy animal's companies. I like smaller rodents, for example rabbits. They are so cute and fluffy. Dogs aren't bad though. Would you want to get a dog if you moved in? I don't mind trying to take care of a pooch if I have someone to help me," he said awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. Garrett had been attacked by dogs enough in his life to leave an uneasy feeling around. Smaller animals weren't and dangerous and intimidating. Dogs were loud, threatening, and unpredictable, at least from what the nurse has experienced. That didn't mean every dog was the same. Only the dogs he encountered were slightly aggressive. There had to be a reason for their attacks though.

"Stop thanking me. Thank me when you get out of here and settled in. I'm happy. It'll be nice to have such wonderful company such as yourself. I'd take those ideas from my flirting," he laughed, tapping his chin thoughtfully. Adam didn't need to thank him so much. Currently, the man was still in this hospital, waiting to be let out. After he was discharged, then he could be thankful.

Adam's eyes shot up to the nurse at the suggestion, even if Garrett seemed very uncertain with the idea. "I-I..." He stuttered, his lips pulling into what was most likely the happiest smile he'd shown so far. "You have no idea what that would mean for me." He muttered out, casting his gaze downwards as he brought the cup back to his lips. If there was a dog for him to take care of, it could help him greatly to get back to living. He'd be more than willing to take it out for walks, to train it, to take care of it however needed! And... Having to walk the dog would mean having to be outside, possibly interact with people. That... He really needed to work on.

Adam took a little bit to understand exactly what Garrett said next. "I... Uh..." He blinked, staring up at the nurse with a profoundly confused look in his eyes. "You know... I can't exactly take you out for dinner." Adam managed to crack a joke, a quiet chuckle rumbling from his chest as he looked at the cup he was holding in his hands. "Why'd you want me? It, uhm... Doesn't really make sense. At all." He murmured, uncertainty showing hints in his voice. Uncertainty, along with fear. Maybe Garrett was just making fun of him. He seemed so nice, though... He took care of him, or was it all a mean lie? Or maybe Adam was just a way for him to pass time. Adam wasn't sure he could handle it if it were true. Hell, he couldn't handle his own thoughts about himself... Any negative things people said about him would reflect greatly on him - none in a good way. Right now he was so fragile, he could barely function.

"Mm, what is so good about some silly restaurant anyway? I'd prefer to make a fancy dinner at home," Garrett teased. It was obvious he needed to tiptoe around this. Flirting was a natural trait for the nurse, and in all honesty, Adam would be the type of guy he dated. Minus any drug use. Even in his ugliest, the guy was still handsome, and easy to interact with. The nurse didn't expect much from a guy, he didn't look for specific things, he just wanted his heart to tell him where to go. Currently, it's interest was piqued at his soon to be roommate. If he just ignored it, it probably would just go away. Ultimately in the end, the easiest thing was to dive in, and hope he didn't get hurt. This was the bad part about the nurse. He let his heart tell him what to do and say, never really considering the consequences of rejection. Too many times did he have guys just leave him out of the blue, and it left him with an ache.

"Is there something wrong with me having an interest in you? My feelings are my feelings after all. It makes complete sense to me. Is this... not okay? Am I being too pushy or making you uncomfortable?" How did someone explain this? Garrett was showing interest because somewhere, he felt they had a connection. He wouldn't make flirtatious marks just because. He had a purpose behind it, even if he didn't know how to explain it. It was just obvious to him that you would make teasing remarks to someone you're interested in. Maybe that wasn't okay to do at all?

Adam shook his head quickly when asked if he was uncomfortable with this. "N-No, it's not that." He reassured the other hastily, looking away, towards the window for a moment as he bit down on his lip. "I'm... Not someone you should even consider dating. I-I don't understand why you'd show interest in me." He sighed out, a small smile pulling at his lips as he turned back to Isaac. "You're rather confusing, you know?" The man let a light laugh slip past his lips, for a split second appearing to have life in him again. Honestly, having someone care for him as a lover would help greatly, but... It still didn't feel right.

Trying to avoid awkwardness, he sipped his tea again, closing his eyes as he relished in the taste. "Even if you still decide, for whatever reason, that you do like me, a dinner at home can't suffice for a first date... Then again, I don't really have anything to offer." Adam laughed nervously, reaching up to rub the back of his neck. At least he didn't feel like he was about to die. He looked up at the nurse, a small smile lingering on his face. "Maybe... Let's leave this all for after I get out of the hospital." He suggested finally, downing the last bit of his tea before setting the cup against his lap. He really hoped that he could keep such a relationship with Isaac. It felt nice, to say the least.

Confusing? Garret was the confusing one? Well, maybe he couldn't see it because it was him being called the confusing one. He couldn't exactly be confused by himself. Either way, it was his choice who he decided as a potential love interest. No one else, not even the love interest themselves. The most they could do was reject him. Other than that, it was he who decided which path to take. Even if Adam didn't really think he should be considered as an interest, it wasn't going to change Garret's feelings any. It was someone else's opinion and not his own. Well, he'd leave it be for now. Right now, he shouldn't rush into anything with Adam in case something... unfavorable happens. Whatever the misfortune, the raven haired didn't know. Once again, he trusted Adam, at the same time, he needed to be a little cautious. It was only natural for humans to be weary of things, surely, Adam understood that? Garret didn't expect him to steal or lie, he worried about one thing. An unsavory drug being used within his home.

Never once did the nurse have a roommate, this was a first, and it made him uneasy. What if Adam didn't adjust easy? What if he didn't like the way things were set up? Garret hated messes. Everything needed to be organized and his way. If Adam changed everything he created, what would happen? It was silly to be worried over a little thing, normally he would let it go, he just couldn't help but feel concerned they may clash if Adam does his own thing. That wouldn't happen, right? Right. He was just getting dramatic. Adam was a good guy, that wouldn't happen. He was a decent judge of personalities. Adam was a wonderful guy.

"Which will be soon, won't it? When did Dr. Macks schedule those tests? With that guy, I'd never know." Garret would've love to continue the conversation, being around Adam put him at ease. The guy just made him feel comfortable, even if he was slightly stressed. The nurse wanted everything to be perfect for his roommate, and he probably couldn't make every little thing the way he wanted.

"Garret, we need you in room 303. Code E." Damn, his work got in the way. Letting the other hold the cup on his own, he stood up. Giving Adam an apologetic look.

"I'll be back, in a bit, hopefully," he mumbled before he slipped out. Work called, he couldn't exactly ditch the entire day. Emergencies were the worst thing for him to be involved in. Either the patient was dying or violent. Whichever it was, somehow he was going to get upset and hurt.

Adam looked up at the nurse at the question, pausing for a few moments to actually think if he'd ever been told about the tests. "Oh, he said it'd be in the morning, but-..." Sadly, he wasn't allowed to finish off his sentence as Garret was called to work. His mood fell slightly. The man really made him feel better just by being here. Other nurses weren't anywhere as nice, too. A soft sigh passed his lips as he watched Garret walk out. For a few minutes, Adam just laid in bed, motionless, staring at a wall. He didn't exactly have anything to do, so he could just take a nap or something. He was sure his headache would return soon, anyway.

Adam struggled a bit with setting the cup down on the counter by his bed, then carefully turned to lay on his side, closing his eyes. He was woken by the harsh voice of Doctor Macks, not even an hour after he'd managed to drift off to sleep. Apparently, he decided to do the tests now. Adam mistook the time when telling Garret - the tests were supposed to be done this morning, but since he was going through such horrid withdrawal at the time, they were postponed. He was certain, however, that it wouldn't matter whether he was throwing up or not, the tests would still be horrible. He was right, of course. He was probed in every place one could imagine, the doctor didn't even try to be gentle. All in all, Adam was treated more like an animal, without any care to his feelings.

To say that he was feeling depressed when he was back in his room would have been an understatement. His body was numb, as was his mind. He didn't feel like saying anything. He laid in his bed, staring up at the ceiling. It felt like there was a constant buzz in his head... It was annoying, but at the same time, Adam couldn't bring himself to care about it enough. After being ridiculed so harshly, with comments not only about him, but his family being thrown in his face without a single care, Adam truly felt defeated. It only took so much to break a cracked mind, after all. The way he was right now, Adam needed just one last push to lose the battle entirely.

Garret returned, only to find that Adam was no longer in the room. Disappointed, he decided to hang out with other patients, letting them vent. He was a good outlet for them to talk with, not having to deal with the judging eyes, or the studying of behaviors. They can let the things off their chest without the nurse turning it back on them. If the hospital workers treated the patients with respect, they probably wouldn’t have as many problems as they did. All too many times did the patients start throwing stuff out of anger. Garret was sure the workers were angering the patients in some way. Being blunt could be called for, that didn’t mean you needed to take it to the asshole level.

This time the nurse returned, finding the air to be heavy and dark. These type of moods really brought him down. He tried to be as chipper as possible, there is only so much he could do. Brightening the room was a lot more effort than it seemed. Of course, the nurse was aware Adam had gone through the tests. They weren’t pleasant, and there wasn’t anything he could about it. He was only trained to do his daily activities, he had nothing to do with what occurred through the other doors. The tests were out of his control, and so was Adam’s mood.

“Hey handsome, is there anything I can get for you?” Garret approached, giving him a gentle smile. He was trying to be cautious as possible, not upsetting his soon-to-roommate in anyway shape or form. His radio started going off, only for him to switch it off. It was just temporary, he was trying to make sure a patient was safe, that was a decent excuse, right?

Adam's already lifeless eyes slid closed when he finally noticed a nurse entering his room. He didn't want to talk to anyone at the moment, but even more so, he didn't want to upset Garrett in any way. So, he tried to give a light smile as he opened his eyes again, truly trying to come off as okay. He'd pushed down his depression for so long before, it shouldn't be hard, right?

Clearly, it was. Trying to fake being okay just brought out how far away he was from that really. His lips parted with a shaky exhale as he shut his eyes once more. "They don't even see me as a person." He whispered out in a hoarse voice, soaked up with pain. "It was horrible..." Adam breathed out, his breathing still shaky. "You... Won't treat me like... Like that... Right?" Along with the pain, desperation rang clear as a bell in his plea. It was painful to not be given even the most basic human rights. Garrett was giving him a chance, perhaps his last way to get back on the right track, and every person who went against that was killing Adam from inside. He felt like he was seen as, well, a human again, instead of a pile of trash. He wanted to be seen as a person by everyone... Not just one person. Couldn't he at least get that much?

“Oh. Look, I’m not sure if what I’m about to say will make it any better, just heart me out,” he said in a soothing tone. It pained Garret to see Adam like this. The guy just didn’t deserve this much… well, he didn’t really deserve any of the negative in his life. No one did. You had to be a monster of a human for the nurse to think you deserved mental pain and torture. Adam surely didn’t deserve. If the nurse could take away the pain for himself, he’d volunteer in a heartbeat.

“You can’t really expect much from the people here. It’s not that they don’t see you as a human, they do, they just try not to get attached. I can’t really fault them for that. The only one here who doesn’t care is Dr. Macks.” Reaching his hand down, he lightly stroked Adam’s cheek. Maybe that wasn’t the most comforting thing to say, it was the truth. Everyone saw the patients here as humans, they just tried to ignore their personal feelings. Which was why the nurse was different. Garret didn’t mind expressing himself and getting attached.

“I’ll never treat you like that, I promise. Is there anything I could do to make you feel better? Think I can kiss away the pain?” Trying to joke, his lips became a thin line. How did he make Adam feel better? He hadn’t been around enough to know what was the right or wrong thing to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Adam's lips pulled into a tight line. He shook his head as the nurse talked. "No. They saw me as a test subject. I... Felt humiliated." He muttered out, looking away with a quiet sigh. His body seemed to relax a little bit, however, when his cheek was stroked. That simple touch felt so nice, so warm... He let out a quiet chuckle at the suggestion, raising a brow as he looked back at Garret.

"You seem to suggest that a whole lot. What would you do if I took up the offer?" He asked in an almost-teasing manner, as if mimicking the nurse's behavior. "I feel like you're being a lot nicer than you have to be. Now, I don't mind it, but..." Adam's smile widened just a little bit, "It'd be a real shame to just keep it as words, don't you think?" There was something amazing about his nurse. Even when he was in such horrid mood, Garret coming in managed to pull him out, at least a little bit. He was like a walking ray of sunshine... Like his own personal sun. It was such an incredibly nice thought. "God... What's your secret?" Adam let out a light laugh. "Whenever you come in here, you bring some kind of... Energy along with you, and you infect me. I don't think I've ever met anyone like you." He muttered out, his lips staying stretched out into a small, soft smile. He really seemed to appreciate Garret. How could he not? The man saved his life, after all.

((I'm really sorry for taking so long to reply. School is beginning to take up more and more of my time and stress has been adding up as well. It's very likely that I won't be quite as active as I used to be until July or so, when all my exams will have finished. I hope you can be patient with me

What would Garret do? He'd kiss him. Plain as that. At this point, his flirtatious remarks had a purpose. At first it was harmless playing, only hoping that this could blossom into something more. Fortunately, Adam showed enough interest for the nurse to push some of his limits. Now that his soon to be roommate was feeding into his flirting, he couldn't just simply quit. Once the guy got out of this stuffy rehab center, they could plan all sorts of things to further this potential relationship. The nurse wasn't afraid to admit he was a hopeless romantic. Dates, cuddles, sex, he wanted it all. If he was going to trade his heart for a romance, he wanted the full package. Dating was an exclusive deal that either worked out or didn't. Too many times did he get a defective relationship without the full bundle. Maybe with Adam it would be different?

"You haven't met anyone like me? I'm not sure about you but to me it sounds like you're hinting at low-key flirting. No objections here. Unfortunately handsome, my secret is for me to know and you to guess," he chuckled, tapping his chin thoughtfully. Garret was actually flattered by the comment. It made him feel sort of special that he had that sort of effect on Adam. Even in dark times, the nurse could light up the room, almost effortlessly. That's not how it felt... That didn't stop him feeling fuzzy from thinking about it that way. Adam really knew how to give compliments, intentional or not.

"Mm, more importantly, I think you're right. It is a shame to keep my words only words. I'm going to assume you just took up my offer. Too late to change my mind." Garret leaned down over the bed rail, connecting their lips gently. It only lasted for a few seconds before he pulled up, giving a cheeky smile. Despite his confidence, this was an embarrassing thing to do in a hospital. Had he been caught, there were two outcomes. Endless teasing or getting fired. Both were equally terrible in their own rights. Teasing would just lead to him quitting. Getting fired made it difficult to find another job.

"I would've taken it a step further had your mouth been clean. Nothing against you, cleaner mouths are nicer when kissing. Plus, going that far is a bit much in this hospital, isn't it? Kind of kills the mood." Flicking back on the radio, listening in case they were paging him. No one was going to bother him yet. That was nice. The more time he spent with his new roommate, the happier he was. Adam was quickly growing on him. He was really glad he gave him a second chance.

((Oh no. I feel bad because I left you hanging for so long. I shall be as patient as you need me to be. Hope everything works out for you!))

Adam smiled playfully, lightly shifting against the pillows to get more comfortable. "Maybe I am flirting with you. These things can be very infectious." He chuckled, truly enjoying their little conversation - which soon turned to more than just a conversation. Adam only had a couple of moments to prepare for the kiss, which he didn't actually think would happen... He was sure their words would just stay as words. Still, the warmth and softness of Garret's lips brought a very similar feeling to the high he got when injecting a dose. His eyes fluttered closed, his head tilting upwards as if trying to make the kiss last just a little bit longer when he felt the other begin pulling away.

His eyes opened slowly, lips still parted in slight disbelief. "God, I hope I'm not hallucinating." He muttered out quietly, staring at Garret as if he'd seen an angel. Adam's lips slowly stretched out into a smile once again as Garret continued speaking. "Don't worry, I get you." He chuckled quietly, slowly reaching out to take the nurse's hand into his own. His fingers were still cold, the tips felt a tad numb, but he hoped that Garret didn't mind that too much. "Did anyone ever tell you you have really soft lips?" He chuckled, realizing how cheesy he sounded. Really... He still didn't understand why Garret wanted him in the first place, but he didn't want to pass on the opportunity to get his life back. At least a part of it. Even if he was sure he didn't deserve Garret. He would have to work as hard as possible to make himself worthy of this life, this relationship if it was ever to happen.

"You... Said we could get a dog when I'm out. How soon do you think that could happen?" Adam asked quietly, uncertainly. He knew that having a dog to walk every day would help him get back on track, or at least make the first step towards recovery. He was willing to claw his way out if he had a life like this waiting for him. He never thought this could happen. It really was incredible. Unbelievable, but utterly amazing.

((Thank you for your patience so much

"You'd be the first. Hopefully that kiss was to your liking. I definitely like to do more once you get out of here," he teased, running his finger over his bottom lip. Soft? Were they really that soft? None of his previous lovers said anything like that. It was a cute compliment. He'd love to let Adam experience the softness of his lips more... In both ways. Garret was glad the other had an interest or that kiss would've made rooming together extremely hard. He squeezed the other's hand that held his own with a small smile. Stepping as close as he could to the bed, he brought the other's hand to his mouth, kissing lightly. Breathing on the tip of his fingers, he dared to kiss those as well, resisting the urge to warm them by putting them in his mouth. That would be for another time.

"A dog? We'll see when you get out of here. We'd have to make the necessary arrangements to won a dog first of all. Food, toys, collar, a bed, all those things. Maybe a few days after you get settled in, we can go to the animal shelter and have a look," he said, trying to reassure him that they would get one, the only question was when. Garret was never an animal person so this would be a completely new experience for him to handle. He could do this. Adam was here and he seemed like he knew how to handle a big animal.

"Garret, report to the front desk," a female voice called out from his radio. Pouting, he gave Adam's hand a long, gentle kiss, before letting go. He had been in here for a long time. They probably needed for him to do his rounds and check on other patients.

"I'll see you later handsome." Flashing a quick smile, he walked out of the room in a hurry. Once you were radioed, your ass was expected to be where they requested in one minute at most. The longer you took, the more the problematic things could become. He was right. He just needed to make his rounds. Grabbing the clipboard, he started walking into each patient's room. Checking on them, making sure nothing was broken, and that everything was stable. As always.