Scare Me Again (Private)

PrincessGumdrop

Oliver grumbled as he was told to go work the fields, he hated to work the fields, but he supposed that's what a farmer did. He had to come home every summer and work these fields. Even though his family wasn't the wealthiest they did their best to send him to a good school so that he didn't have to continue in his family's footsteps. He was studying to become a teacher in the city, hopefully it would work out. However, now it was summer break, which meant that they needed an extra hand around the place to keep Oliver going to school. Which meant, Oliver had to work.

He eyed the new scarecrow that his father had gotten a week ago. He really didn't like the thing, it looked pretty spooky at times. Something always seemed off about it. At least for the week that he had seen the thing. He did his best to ignore it and started to work the fields around it. He hummed as he did so, sometimes off key, sometimes on key. He frowned when he heard a noise, no one else was supposed to be out here but him. He stood up straight and looked around the fields, no one. He frowned again and went back to work after a bit of hesitation.

Oliver leaned down, his shaggy brown hair half falling in his face. When he heard the noise again he stood up his bright green eyes darting around. Okay, now he knew he heard a noise, he wasn't crazy. He looked around carefully before he looked over to the scarecrow, no way...could it be?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• virtualoo

• PrincessGumdrop

(not quite sure on a backstory just yet so I'll go with it for now :3)

He hasn't seen much of the world beyond this farmland here..but he knew his life's purpose. He knew his purpose in life was to help a farmer scare away the crows from his field. It seemed a simple enough job in itself..to just hang there the entire day. Soon he found himself being strung up under the heat of the afternoon sun, his blonde straw hair moving with the breeze. The farmer was fortunate to clothe him in simple attire, an old green flannel shirt and blue jeans accompanied by a small straw hat.

The days passed by without much activity, the crowd easy enough to scare without trouble. Sometimes he would see a younger boy in the fields tending to the crops..enough of a farmer. On this particular afternoon, this crow would not stop eating a cornstalk. He stared at it and wished it would go but it did not..so he let out a low groany kind of growl and it flew off. His noise had attracted that young farmer boy who stared around oddly. It was quite funny so he did it once more and the younger states at him now. It was funny to see him scared, making it yet again.

(that's okay, also sorry for the short post)

Oliver went wide eyed when he saw the scarecrow make the noise. He stumbled back and just barely kept the scream inside of him. He fell backwards and landed hard on his ass. He licked his lips and watched the scarecrow, praying that he was just having heatstroke or something "H-hello?" he called, still looking at the scarecrow. No way, no way was this thing real. It couldn't be true. He took a deep breath and stood up going over to the scarecrow. "Hello?" he called again and touched the scarecrows leg. It's just straw right?

(no worries ;3 i should be saying sorry again for the delay in posting)

"That's my leg.." The scarecrow spoke and turned its head slightly to look down on him with a small smirk. It was amusing to see the kid fall flat on his ass at the sight of just hearing a groaning noise out of him much less a few words. It was amusing on a whole other note to even be speaking to a human. He waited atop his pole he was strung to for a reaction from the human, wondering what he would do or say.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Oliver jumped when the scarecrow said what he was touching was his leg. He went wide eyed even further and stepped back. "H-h-heat stroke.... that's what this is. Heat stroke. I've been working too hard. The thing can't be real." he said, "Or...or dad is playing a trick on me." he nodded again. "Right. That's it. Very funny, Dad!" he called out, looking around for what he was hoping would be his father doubled over in laughter.

"D-dad?" he called, "Dad, seriously, this isn't funny anymore." he said and looked back to the scarecrow. "Come on out, you've had your fun." he called yet again. But his dad didn't come out, at least not out of the field somewhere. He heard his dad, in fact he heard everyone that it could of been heading either into or out of the house. He stared at the house for a moment and then looked back to the scarecrow. "No way..." he murmured.

All he more amusing..Hard to accept the scarecrow can talk? It was funny to watch how scared he was and go into denal that it was truly the boys own father pulling a prank on his son. He watched as the other looked around as if for any other source before staring up at him again in disbelief.

"Way.." The scarecrow decided to reply in a mocking tone with a laugh. This was all too hilarious and will definetly get him through the rest of the day with these damn crows. "What excuse is next..? Sun in my eyes?" The scarecrow laughed a bit more.

Oliver shook his head in response to the scarecrow. "H-how?" he finally asked, licking his lips. He had never heard of something like this before. "C-can you get down from there?" he asked, "Walk?" he continued on. He had never spoken with a scarecrow before, at least not one that could talk back. Inside his head he was sure he was going crazy, any moment now his father was going to come up and asking him what the hell he was doing. But then at the very least this dream would be over.

He looked a bit surprised, that's what this was, just a dream. He was sleeping. Oliver seemed to calm down a bit, no point in waking up, just let the dream play out. He was still a bit on edge because something in the back of his head was telling him that was wrong, this was real. That the scarecrow was talking to him and Oliver really was talking back.

"Don't ask me how..Not sure myself" The scarecrow said quietly as he looked around the field. He just knew he was made and came to be here in this field. It was here he met the boy and scared him eventually with the noise he had made before.

"Walk..? I'm strung up to a pole kid.." The scarecrow laughed, not sure what the other was expecting to hear from him. He wouldn't know if he could walk until he was untied. Only than will he be able to see if he can walk. Probably scare the kid more..fun..

Oliver nodded a bit, he eyed the pole before weighing his options a bit. Well, what could it hurt to let a scarecrow go in a dream? He hesitated for only a few seconds more before slowly undoing the ties of his father and letting the scarecrow down. When the scarecrow was free from the pole, Oliver stepped back, not really sure what to expect. This all was a bit insane, what on earth was he thinking, or rather dreaming about? What did he expect this scarecrow to do?

The scarecrow wasn't expecting to be let down, feeling the strange sensation of being down from the pole he was hung on. Slowly, he forced his body to do what he wanted, limbs twitching as he slowly managed to push himself up to a standing position. "I can stand..." The scarecrow said with a small smile to himself at his accomplishment. He was free to move...he could move!

Oliver watched the scarecrow and stepped back slightly when he realized the other could move. Maybe he shouldn't have taken him down. He glanced over to the house again and then back to the scarecrow. "Yeah, look at that." he said, licking his lips. Yeah, he really shouldn't have let the other down. It would be cruel to put him back up again. The scarecrow seemed so happy that he was able to move. "U-uh...do um... do scarecrows have names or something like that?" he asked.

"I do not think I have a name...I am just a scarecrow after all" The scarecrow said as he looked at his hands and legs. He watched as he could, in a shaky stand, bend his eyes and he smiled to himself a bit. "I suppose I will be needing one so you can stop calling me 'the scarecrow'" The scarecrow smirked as he stood to look at the other. He could run now...run away and be free..but that meant not being able to scare or see the human and crows anymore. And scaring crows was all he knew..

Oliver nodded, "I see..." he said and thought about it. "Um..." he tilted his head and looked at the scarecrow for a while. He really didn't know what to name the thing. Plus, he was going to wake up any minute, maybe after he named the thing. He sighed and continued thinking about it. "I don't know, what about Sam...or Scar... or Sandy.... or Tim, Tom....George?" he said, giving out a few that he thought the scarecrow kind of looked like "Hmm, or maybe Raven?" he asked, chuckling at the last one.

"Raven..Kind of ironic..I like it" Raven smirked as he looked over at the other. "The farmer will be looking for you soon, you probably have more chores to finish" He said as he walked around in circles, loving the feeling of working limbs and talking. To think he was talking to a human...even given a name to call his own. And that farmer was just going to ruin it and put him back on his pole again..

Oliver smiled and nodded, "I had a feeling." he glanced back to the house when his father was mentioned. "Yeah...probably soon." he said and looked back at the scarecrow...or rather Raven. "I'll...um...he's gonna wonder why you aren't up there if I'm not out here." he said, biting his lip. "So, I'm gonna have to put you back up there." he explained, fidgeting slightly. "I'll come back tomorrow and take you down." he said, "Do..do all scarecrows talk like you?"

(there was a weird bug where i couldnt type but could see replies to this thread.....That was weird....yet it worked for another. I dont know what happened)

Raven did not want to go back up o the pole just after being freed. But..he promised to come back..right? So he should come back for him..right? "All scarecrows? Frankly, I am not sure. Guess I must be special" Raven shrugged, itching the top of his straw hat. Looked like it was about time to go back up on the pole as he got himself ready.

Oliver nodded and moved over to the scarescrow and slowly put the thing back up. He felt a bit bad for the scarecrow, but it couldn't be helped. He looked at Raven for a few more moments before nodding, "Well, uh... see you tomorrow." he said and gave Raven a wave before heading back to the house to reflect on what on Earth happened, or rather to wake up from this crazy dream.

• 2 weeks later...

Raven watched him walk away, feeling this warm feeling in his chest. It was weird..to be feeling anything. To be so aware of his own existence and of a human...will he actually come back for me? Raven figured it was time to go back to his job, looking over the fields as some crows flew by overhead. Raven........thats my name....my name...

The next morning Oliver was out in the fields again. The first thing he did was move over to the scarecrow and pull him down from his post. He set him down and eyed him a bit before giving a brief smile and returning to his work. "I don't mind taking you down and all, but um...you still need to work, okay?" he asked. It was clear that at some point in the night he had decided this wasn't a dream. All of this was real. That or he was going insane.

Raven waited in anticipation, looking like any other scarecrow out on the job. It was soon morning and he watched the sun rise over the field of the farm. The scarecrow soon saw the other going out to work and..coming to him? He was really taking him down...? Raven was soon set down onto the floor, soon feeling fiull of life and starting to move. "Of course.." He said, looking over at a crow with a wicked smirk. He ran after them while flapping his arms, enjoying getting a taste of revenge.