Flowers before the Deluge (Sai-Miyoshi and Tama)

Tama

Aft has it been said, that man and elf are brothers not. Yet, even the most bitter of enemies may fall to the Queen's Arrow together

-Preface to "The Book of llyumaru"

It was often said of the Prince Illuvier that, in respects of love, he had a stony heart; whilst he was a kind, just and gentle prince, even for those of the fair folk who walked, and in some places, still do walk the forests of this land, in matters of the soul, for matters of romance, he had no time. It was not for lack of trying from some quarters; since the day when he still clung to his mother's skirts as she dispensed council, fair maidens from across the woods of the world, from the cold wastes where only pines grew straight as the finest arrow, and every elf wore furs and seal-skin, to the warmer climes where oak and olive and cedar cast dappled showers in nigh-constant sun, were presented to the princeling. Every favour was returned, graciously, every gift.

"Perhaps women are not his type", many had thought; whilst this was unusual, it was not unheard of, nor frowned upon-there were many tales of Kularin, and his Brother-Queen, Itaru, his lover and right hand. They had loved each other with a passion that had been carried down upon the harps and voices of many a bard alongside the other great stories of love among their people. Thus, the same tribes sent their most beautiful, their most intelligent, and their bravest and most battle-proved men to court the young prince. Again, to their dismay, they returned; whilst their tales told of a gracious young prince, an elf just beginning to grow into a leader the match of his Father-King, they also noted how his face had shifted, almost to resemble a mask, when the inevitable purpose of their visit was brought up.

So, he did not like maidens and he did not like his own gender. This prince was surely an enigma! However, conversations about his particular preferences (some even whispered that his tastes were exclusively humans, Goddess forbid), began to give way to those about the humans themselves. Whilst for many years, there had been an uneasy peace between the two races, with the coming of a new king in the neighbouring kingdom (and, many remarked, how short the reign of the last had been), they had begun to move, steadily but surely, into the forest; many had set up camps, and begun to cut down the trees. Unthinkable. Every single elf, from the time they were no more than a tiny child, knew that the forest gave, directly or indirectly, everything they would ever need, from meat and hides from its animals, to berries, and medicines from its trees; to destroy them so wantonly, to merely fuel and provide housing...was unthinkable. Sacrilege.

And so they drove them out. But like any pestilence, they returned in greater numbers, better armed, and, little by little, the borders were re-drawn, the encroachments made forever. This is not to say the prince and his brothers and sisters did not fight back, but bows and arrows against cannon and arquebus was no match. It seemed, at least to the humans, that they were steadily winning the war against these tree-living savages.

And then, one late summer day, some five years into this new King's reign, the prince's stony heart was pierced by an arrow loosed by the Goddess; fate, that day, began to work her loom to tie two strings of life together.

Prince Illuvier fell in love. With a human boy.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tama

• Sai-Miyoshi

Panic. screams. Water. arrows. darkness

Panting Alvin awoke from his dream, tears in his eyes of a fear he could not identify. Ever since he had been small he had had these dreams, yet did not know where they came from although they felt...familiar? Some say they were memories, but memories of what? Alvin had grown up in the woods, travelling, staying with kind people whoo took him in for a while until he got too weird. Humans of course, they were his folk and the only connection to the world he had.

Yet in last time the young boy had gotten more restless, longing to find his origins or anyone he'd feel bound to, and so he had started travelling. Travelling to different countries with different creatures. The world was a place full of magic and so many wonders, yet to be discovered.

And so his days had passed by, until he had heard of the elves, a mysterious folk, in disagreements to human kind, yet with something that attracted the young man, and so he had decided to visit, disregarding the dangers.

Unfortunately his sense of direction was absolutely horrible and he had gotten lost. Until the current moment.

"Today is the day!!!", he murmured, clenching his fist to give himself some motivation before falling out of his tree where he had been sleeping laughing at his own misfortune and wondering off in what he thought was the opposite direction of where he came from.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

The prince wakes slowly, sloughing off sleep like a snake with its skin; he has slept well, despite the slight chill that comes of these early spring mornings. He rises from the fine silks and furs of his bed, the bare, glassless window before him opening to a view atop the greenwood's trees, which stretch in every direction, as the sun rises over the forest, tinging the leaves a fiery red. He stretches, and a maid soon arrives with his clothes, smiling.

"My prince, when you're ready, one of the captains of the guard wishes to speak with you."

Illuvier nods, and allows the young lady to undress him, her soft hands sliding over his form, before dressing him in a silk shirt, leather breaches and heavier leather armour. Finally, he steps into battered but comfortable boots. He smiles, and she departs, bowing deeply. He sighs, leaning on the balcony, enjoying the cold morning air. Another good day, another quiet day. The forest...is gentle. Warming slowly in the sun. Perfect.

Ah

Yes, the Captain of the Guard.

He descends the stairs, nodding to the captain as he does so. The older elf bows softly.

"My lord. I'll come straight to the point. Some of our riders spotted someone...a human, they think. It could be nothing, but...on the other hand, my lord, it could be the beginning of another of their accursed expansions; this human could be a scout. At the least, my lord, I think we should investigate it..."

Illuvier nods. It's been a good month since he last properly stretched his legs, and whilst this is barely a blink of an eye for his kind...something has made him suddenly restless, suddenly eager to prove himself to his father.

"Agreed. I think...we should certainly find and at least greet this visitor; if ill deeds are on their mind, then we shall make them think twice about carrying them out..."

So saying, he steps down the staiirs to the stables, the Captain in his wake

Wondering around aimlessly, Alvin finally decided to...well in his way of saying 'f*ck it'. And so he sat down by a little lake, took out some berries he had gathered and started to hum a random melody. Even though it was rather uncommon amongst humans, the boy loved music and mystery and especially magic, which could well be one of the reasons why he was constantly thrown out....apart from the fact that he acted very strangely after he had one of his nightmares...

"How would it feel like to be normal ey?'', the young an wondered, yet quickly told that thought of for being boring and unrealistic.

Bringing his tune to an end, the boy quickly got bored of merely sitting there and waiting, for what he did not know, and so he decided to take a bath The water in these woods was strangely warm and so the normally water shy person had no problem swimming in the river, splashing around happily.....not that that was immature at all....

Once out of the water, the boy lay down, not bothering to get dressed and quickly fell asleep in the warm sun...

They pass quickly along sun-dappled paths, silent and quick as a dagger through water; the elves of this forest prided themselves upon their ability in stealth, appearing and disappearing like ghosts. Even in the chill midwinter, where trees were naught but skeletons, they slipped with ease between the shadows. Up ahead, the captain of the guard halts, the hound at his horse's hooves, halts, sniffing the air.

"Left."

He finally says, after what seems like an age, and the column follow him, silently and softly, horses stepping carefully.

The prince hunches low in his saddle, thinking to himself. One human alone, really? It seems odd that those vermin would travel on their own, and not in groups. Maybe a scout...but then you would think he or she would have been more careful not to be detected...Ah, maybe he was overthinking things. He sits up in the saddle, looking around. His men fan out before him, watching, a couple of them notching arrows to their bows...

Up ahead, the river thunders, and he spurs his horse into action, racing past the rest of his men. Something...pushes him on, determined to see the river Foss first, to see the early morning light on the clear water. He grins as the sudden burst of sunlight washes across his face and...suddenly his horse rears, nearly throwing him off.

Before him, lying naked and shameless in the summer morning light, is a human boy. Naked...and oddly beautiful.

Hearing the clattering of hooves, Alvin awoke, blinking at the bright sun before he saw what had caused all that ruckus.

'H-Hello', the boy whispered awkwardly, quickly covering himself with leaves, blushing at the look of the most handsome man he had ever seen. How should he ct?!!! he hadn't prepared to meet anyone in this forest, yet alone someone like him!

'e-eh excuse me, I'm lost', the blonde muttered, trying to break the awkwardness, suddenly painfully aware of his lack of clothes.

Damn, the one time he actually met someone of interest, and with interest, eh, he wouldn't further explain, he had to of course make an appearance, completely naked, sleeping in on a bed of leaves in the middle of a forest he had no idea about......

Sounded good. And adventure! Giggling slightly, alvin looked up again, trying not to blush too much.

A strange child. But a beautiful child

That is his first thought. His second is that of confusion.

Why was this human alone, unclothed, seemingly without fear, in the middle of a warzone?

And on top of that, he is.."lost"? Did this foolish naked boy not realise where he is?

He steps from his horse, somewhat...amused that the boy's eyes follow his form.

Well, perhaps boy was wrong. He's...some twenty summers old. Maybe a little younger. It's difficult to age fledgling humans at this age, just as it's difficult to age young chicks or lambs. He's...also oddly graceful for a human. Covering up with a few leaves...oddly beautiful in his naiveity. Well, at least he seems honest.

The prince allows himself a smile.

"Do you not realise where you are, human boy? How can you have got...lost in this forest? If you are truly lost...why would you so happily undress and doze in the sun..."

He draws himself up to his full height and fixes the boy with a piercing glare, amused at the blush on soft, tanned cheeks

"Aren't...you scared?"

blushing at the stare, somehow fierce and slightly dangerous, making Alvins heart beat faster, he looked to the side.

'Scared? why? of you? I'm extremely happy i met you, soo why would i be scared? and yes, I'm completely lost....', looking around him, seeing if there was any way he'd recognise something, the boy continued 'I just like traveling. and it was so pretty here, i took a bath and maa, thats just something i enjoy..... especially when the leaves are in my fabvourite colours....do you never get that?' he asked, smiling politely.

Damn, he was so pretty....... wait that didnt have anythign to do with the topic. but the way he smiled and walked and moved and ohhhhhhh..... blushing the boy squealed happily, which probably seemed really weird, but he couldnt help it.

'Wait, did is something wrong? Am I not allowed to be here?', he asked, looking shocked.