Dragon's Mate [Pigeon & meluvcookies]

meluvcookies

"I'll be fine..." Aru said, his voice as tense as his body. "I can handle something as simple as walking through a crowd." He mostly was trying to convince himself as he watched the crowds move around

He felt like all the humans were watching him, slowly figuring out that he wasn't one of them. It seemed like they would attack at any moment, without any provocation. The dragon couldn't help but feel like every word they spoke was some kind of plan of attack. Without even realizing it himself he started to back away from the crowded marketplace, trying to force himself not to change into his true form in his fear.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meluvcookies

• Kotorichan

Despite his brave words, the dragon seemed to unconsciously inch backwards, away from the marketplace. Iri had to suppress an amused chuckle at the behavior. It would be rude laugh at Aruno, who was trying his best even if he dreaded stepping in the middle of the crowd. So, to save his companion's pride, the redhead pretended not to notice anything and spoke. "Maybe we should go around after all..." He frowned while peering into the mass of people. "There are bound to be pickpockets in a crowd like that." The dragonborn turned to smile at Aruno and pointed to the left. "Let's go that way."

Aruno gripped the man's sleeve tightly, afraid to get separated from him. He relaxed slightly but was still extremely tense from being around so many humans. The fingers on Iri's sleeve grew claws, tearing into the fabric as the dragon tried to breath. "T-they're going to figure it out" he growled. "And they'll kill me and s-sell my skin." He felt so pathetic for being scared, the humans were all so tiny... But when there were large groups of them he couldn't help but panic.

A worried frown crossed Iri's features as the claws grew from Aruno's fingertips. The dragon seemed to be even more afraid than he'd thought, and it stopped being amusing. "It's okay, calm down. No one will find out..." The redhead tried to soothe his nervous companion while thinking of a solution. For the time being he took a hold of Aruno's arm and started leading him towards an alley, farther away from the crowd.

Coming to a stop when there were no more people nearby, Iri voiced his thoughts. "Maybe we should take these sacks to where we left your things, and then I'll come back by myself to get the rest..." Surely the walk back and some time alone in the woods would help to calm the dragon. Iri only had to get some clothes and food; he was sure he'd be able to carry them himself if he could leave off the sack he was holding now.

Aru whimpered fearfully at Iri's suggestion. He leaned forward to press his face into the human's chest, trying to find comfort in his presence. "What if... What if they attack you? I won't be here to help you and..." He trailed off, momentarily wondering why he was so concerned for the man.

"I guess you're right... Humans are far too stressful..." The dragon pulled away, carefully dislodging his claws from Iri's clothes so as not to rip anything. "Y-you'll get things done faster without me panicking over everything..." He took Iri's hand again for comfort and forced himself to take a deep breath. "L-lets go" he was really dreading going back to the main street.

Iriaur was more than a little surprised when Aruno's face was buried in his chest, but pushed his confusion aside and set to stroking the other's back. He was touched by his companion's concern for him. "It'll be fine. No one will attack me." Then the dragon pulled away and complained about humans being stressful. "I may have the soul of a dragon but I'm practically human too, you know... Am I also stressful?" The dragonborn smiled to show he was only joking and not offended by the previous statement.

The redhead didn't comment when Aruno said he'd be done faster without the dragon in tow. With the way things had been going, it was probably true, but it wouldn't be very polite to agree either so he remained silent. When his companion was ready to go, he gave a little squeeze to the hand in his and gave one more reassuring smile. "The sooner we go, the sooner we get out of town and into the woods where you can relax. It'll be fine, trust me..." Starting down towards the main street, Iri gently pulled the dragon with him.

Aruno stayed close to Iri, holding on tightly to the man's hand. He really hated how weak he must seem but there wasn't any way around it. "I could take this whole town if I still had both eyes..." He grumbled, trying to sound tough so that the human wouldn't think less of him. "They could get in my blind spot too easily now..."

The dragon grew even more tense as someone on the main road bumped into him on accident. Aruno:s claws dug into Iri's hand, drawing a few drops of blood from the skin. Although Aru didn't notice this in his panic.

A small chuckle escaped Iri's lips. Aruno sounded just like a child trying to convince he was bigger than he really was. Though in this case it was more like his companion didn't seem to know he was more than big enough. Maybe the dragon had lost his confidence in addition to losing his eye... The redhead decided to try and fix it up a little. "Yeah?" He smiled. "If you ask me, I'd say you could still do it in your other form." And it was probably true. Most of these people looked like they'd never touched a weapon. Not that Iri had either, but that was beside the point.

Suddenly the dragonborn felt Aruno's grip tighten and the sharp sensation of claws sinking into his hand. He flinched and drew in a breath between his teeth, resulting in a hissing sound. "A-aruno?" Iri glanced at his hand and grimaced when he saw a drop of blood running down. "My hand is bleeding..."

Aruno looked down at his hand, he hasn't even realized his claws were coming out. "O-oh" he jerked his hand away, turning his claws back into normal fingers. "I'm so sorry, does it hurt? I didn't realize how delicate you are..." He immediately tore a strip of fabric off his sleeve and wrapped it around Iri's hand, trying to fix his mistake. "I'm so, so sorry... I didn't know that would happen..." The dragon felt panic rising in his chest, it would probably be much easier for Iri to just get angry and decide to stay here.

Iri rolled his eyes at being called delicate. It might be true, especially when compared to a dragon, but it wasn't like the injury was anything serious. He let Aruno wrap the hand with an amused smile playing on his lips. "It's fine, just a couple of pinpricks. They'll stop bleeding any second now." The dragonborn noticed his companion's rising panic and took a hold of his hand again. "Come on, we're almost out of the town. See?" The redhead inclined his head towards the edge of the town which was only a little further.

Aruno focused on keeping his claws hidden and nodded. "Right, I'm okay..." He said more to himself than the man. He started to walk again, trying not to look at the humans. He felt like if he could ignore them then he would worry less... But nevertheless he was shaking badly by the time they got out of the town. He took a deep breath to ry to calm himself and pulled away from Iri, annoyed with his own dependence on his companion.

• 1 month later...

The dragon suddenly pulled away, leaving Iri puzzled. Had he been too clingy? Was Aruno annoyed at him? Or worse; angry? The redhead didn't dare to ask, and just sighed a little sadly. They'd just met, but had been together constantly since. Maybe his companion just wanted some space? He did mention living alone after all...

Deciding it would be better to leave Aruno alone for a while, Iri slowed his pace just a little bit and fell behind. He stayed close, but not so close as to be crowding the dragon, following about half a dozen steps behind.

It took Aruno a moment to notice that Iri had fallen behind, he was so focused on getting away from the town. But as soon as he realized that the dragon born wasn't next to him, he slowed his pace to match the other's. "Are you alright?" he asked, his voice filled with concern. "did you get hurt? or have I been walking too quickly for you?" he tilted his head a bit to get a better view of the man with his one good eye. "I'm sorry, I'm not used to having a companion..."

• 3 months later...

Iri was a little exasperated. Were all dragons this hard to read? Or maybe Aruno was just impulsive? The redhead gave up thinking about it with a mental shrug and answered his companion with a smile. "No, no! It's fine, I was just... Uhhh..." He didn't want to sound like an idiot for assuming things, so he quickly thought up an excuse. "Admiring the scenery." It was probably the most obvious excuse ever, but he was counting on the fact that Aruno didn't know much about humans and thus wouldn't notice.

Aruno had no idea that the human was making an excuse, it seemed like a strange thing to do since they had already walked through this same forest. But the dragon knew that humans did many things that were strange by his standards, so he assumed it must just be something human's did. "Oh... Well... Don't walk too slowly, I would hate for you to get lost in this forest" he looked around, wondering how often humans wandered into the forest. Arumi knew that many humans went hunting, although he never understood how they could catch deer when they could so easily be trampled.

• 3 weeks later...

The dragon was oblivious. It seemed he was just as bad at reading Iri as the dragonborn was at reading him. Though it was a good thing in this situation, it made the redhead a little sad.

"I won't." Iri smiled. "Besides, it's not that far and if I really did get lost I'd be fine until you'd find me. It's not hard to get food in a forest." He gestured towards a bush of half-ripe berries and noticed they were almost back at the clearing.

"I'm sure that you could feed yourself... But you're so small you might get killed by a wild animal..." Aruno's face and voice were filled with genuine concern. Humans seemed so weak when they were on their own, he only considered them a danger in large groups. To the dragon Iri seemed like he could be killed by a deer's kick.