Dragon's Mate [Pigeon & meluvcookies]

meluvcookies

My character:

Name: Iriaur, “Iri”

Position: Uke

Appearance: Long red hair, bright green eyes

There’s a belief that sometimes a dragon’s soul enters the womb of a woman, thinking it to be an egg. The next child to be born will then bear the soul, and as a sign of the dragon within, the child’s eyes will be unnaturally vibrant in color. Having the soul of such a magnificent beast, it is thought these dragonborn would never be satisfied marrying a human, and should become the mate of a real dragon instead. For this reason, when dragonborns come of age, they're taken to an island where dragons are often seen landing.

This was the situation Iriaur found himself in. He was standing on the shore of Dragon Island, waving to his parents who had come to see him off, and wearing the traditional wedding attire of his village, which consisted of a loose fitting white tunic and pants, both heavily embroidered with blue and green flowery vines. He also had boots, a grey hooded cloak and a backpack with some food in it, but that was all.

When he could no longer see the people on the boat, he turned around and started walking inland while thinking about his future. Having grown up in a village in the middle of nowhere, Iri had never even seen a real dragon. Of course there had been pictures and tales depicting them to be magical lizards the size of a mansion, but that was all he knew and it didn’t make him exactly enthusiastic about his situation. Even if he had the soul of a dragon, it didn’t make his body into one, and the stories made sure everyone knew just how insignificant humans were in comparison. How was he supposed to become a mate to something like that? He had tried voicing his doubts several times along the years but they’d always been refuted with the phrase It’ll be okay, because you’re a dragonborn. He had no way out.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meluvcookies

• Kotorichan

My character:

Name: Aruno "Aru"

Position:Seme

Appearance: Dragon- thin, long, blue scales with silver markings, bright blue eyes, two pairs of wings

Human- Long silver hair with blue streaks, bright blue eyes, pale skin that has a tint of blue, has a large scar over where his left eye should be .

(quick drawing)

IMAG0007_zps1e01093a.jpg

Aruno had been visiting his sister in a far off land. The journey home was long and tiring, even for a powerful dragon like him. His wing beats became more painful with each passing moment, until he finally spotted a tiny patch of land in the middle of the ocean. There didn't seem to be any humans on it, so Aru decided to land there to rest... He never did like being around humans... They got scared so easily and were often more than willing to attack a dragon.

It only took him a couple of minutes to reach the island. He circled around in the sky until he saw a clear area on the beach that was large enough for him to land on. The huge creature made a slow descent, careful to keep the seawater off the luggage that was firmly attached to his back.

Iriaur had been on the island for maybe an hour. He hadn't seen any dragons, or humans, or anything bigger than birds really. Instead he had found a pond with drinkable water and a cave big enough to make camp in. Not that he had anything to make a camp with, but he guessed if he had to stay on the island for a long time, he should probably try to find some usable things. Like firewood.

Just when he put down his backpack and turned to go and gather some twigs, he saw it. A long blue dragon decending. The sight took his breath away, even from this distance. The beast was large, it was powerful, it was terrifying... It was beautiful. His eyes were locked on to the magnificent creature, and unconciously he started walking towards the beach where it must be landing.

When the trees blocked his sight of the dragon, Iriaur snapped out of his daze. Was it really okay to just approach it? What if it attacked him on sight? He shook his head. If the dragon decided to kill him, there would be nothing he could do about it. More than that, if he ever wanted to get off the island, he should at least try to talk to the dragon. Who knew how long it would take for another one to appear?

With these thoughts in mind the redhead walked through the woods until he came to the beach a few minutes later. He stopped at the treeline, a little ways away from the dragon and not knowing how to proceed he waited to be acknowledged.

Aruno had just started to relax when the scent of a human met his nostrils. He froze and took a deep breath in, but it seemed like there was only one human... He wasn't very familiar with the area but remembered hearing about humans who believed in 'dragon borns.' He took a few steps towards the trees before noticing a tiny looking human. The humans always looked so small when he was in his dragon form.

He turned into his human form and quickly pulled a cloak out of one of his bags. He wrapped it around his shoulders before starting to drag his bags up to the tree line. It was much harder just because of the size, now that he was in his human form his baggage was almost as big as his entire body.

"What are you doing here human? it doesn't look like there's any sort of village..." He called as he dragged his things away from the ocean so nothing would get wet. "are you lost? You don't need to worry, I'm just here to rest, I won't hurt you"

Iriaur had to wait with his heart pounding in nervousness for only a few seconds before the dragon seemed to notice his scent. It came a little closer and suddenly there was a human in it's place. Iriaur startled. No one ever told him dragons could shapeshift! But this was actually convenient. He wasn't nearly as nervous about talking to someone his size...

The dragon-turned-human started dragging his mountain of things and asked what the other was doing here, along with reassuring he wouldn't hurt the redhead. Iriaur took a breath to calm his nerves before answering. "My name is Iriaur." He bowed in greeting. It was better to be extra polite than risk it, right? "I'm a dragonborn, brought here to find myself a mate." Though the dragon looked like a male, so it seemed he might have to wait for it. Unless this one could introduce him to a female? It might be worth a try.

Aru left his stuff right next to the treeline and walked towards Iriaur. "My name is Aruno, it's nice to meet you..." He brushed his hair back so he could see the human with his one eye. "you say you want to find a mate? hm... That would probably take awhile... This isn't the kind of place that a dragon would go when looking for a partner..." he sighed and pulled the hood of his cloak over his head to shield himself from the sun. "I assume by 'mate' you mean a breeding partner... Correct?" he tilted his head to the side, trying to get a better understanding of the situation. Dragons had a very different way of doing things than humans, so it wasn't easy for him to know what this human wanted.

Iriaur blinked in confusion when the dragon, Aruno, said this place wasn't frequented by dragons looking for a mate. This was Dragon Island, right? Everyone said the creatures came here often, which was the reason there were no human settlements here. Then Aruno said something that outright shocked him. "B-breeding..." Iri blushed a deep crimson almost matching his hair. He hadn't known dragons could even take human form, so he'd never even thought about the possibility. He coughed a little in embarrassement before trying to right the misunderstanding. "N-no, um... I was thinking more about... something like... A partner in life?" It was unexpectedly hard to come up with a proper description when you had just assumed the other would instantly understand what you had meant.

"Ah, of course. A nesting partner" Aru nodded in understanding. "Well, you may come across someone while staying here... It's a common place to stop and rest or for dragons that don't have their own territory... But sometimes those ones can be very aggressive..." He lightly ran his fingers through his hair. "I would offer to take you back with me... But I don't know if that would be very helpful since you would be on my territory and so wouldn't see any other dragons... It would be a lot safer than staying here"

Aggressive dragons? Hearing this from one of the beasts themselves, Iriaur suddenly felt the danger to be more real. Maybe he really should take Aruno's offer. At least he would be safe. "Well actually, it's not like I really need to find a... nesting partner." He hesitated a little when using the unfamiliar term. "It's just that when dragonborns come of age, we're taken here to meet dragons, and there's no other way to leave the island..."

"Hmm... I see... You humans certainly have interesting customs..." Aru smiled, showing off a row of sharp fangs. He meant it to be friendly, not realizing it could seem threatening. "I'd be happy to let you stay with me, it can get rather lonely living alone..." He sighed and sat down on a rock. "I just need to rest for a bit before I keep flying... I'm very tired"

Iriaur startled at the sudden showing of fangs, but calmed down as he registered the friendly offer following it. He offered a smile of his own and nodded gratefully. "Thank you, I'd like that." It's not like he had anywhere else to be, because if he returned home the villagers would probably just bring him back to the island. The redhead knew they meant well but sometimes it was a little frustrating how totally they believed in every old tradition.

When Aruno mentioned resting, he gestured towards the woods. "If you want to rest here, I can go get my things. Or we could go together; there's a cave and a pond just a few minutes away by foot..."

"oh, yes, that sounds nice" Aru slowly stood up and stretched his arms. "which way is it?" His piercing blue eyes settled on Iriaur. He stepped a little closer to be able to examine the human more thoroughly, trying to get a better sense of all his features and his scent.

Iri's emerald eyes flicked to Aruno's when the creature stepped closer, and he wondered where the scar had come from. Had he fought another dragon? Instead of asking, he just smiled and inclined his head. "This way..." Then he turned and started leisurely walking towads the cave.

He was releived that the first dragon he'd come across had been a nice one. The redhead was positive he would get along well with Aruno, as he seemed friendly. They might have a few misunderstandings though, due to the differences in culture, but they would hopefully be as easily resolved as the one about mates earlier.

Aruni hurried to walk beside the man. He watched the human's face with an expression of fascination, he had never spoken with a human before and it had been years since he was able to see one so close. "Your eyes... They're different than mist humans'... Is that what you meant by 'dragon born'?" He asked suddenly "ah, you don't need to answer that if you don't want to... I'm sure sure if that's considered rude..." He added quickly, worried that he might offend the human

Iriaur chuckled at the dragon's curiosity. By now the redhead was quite used to both questions and staring when it came to his eyes. "Yes, that's right, and I don't mind." He chuckled again. "There's a saying among humans about the eyes being a window to the soul, so I guess dragons have very vibrant souls, judging by the eyes of the dragonborn." Then he blinked in sudden realization. "Could it be... that your kind doesn't know much about us? Dragonborn, I mean?"

"Well... I've heard that dragon borns are more common for the Fiiyrgo... Uh, those are fire dragons that are usually found just a bit west of here... But I'm a Kionor, which is an ice dragon from the far south... So we don't really see that many humans at all, let alone dragon born humans..." Aru shrugged it off. "I guess its just different cultures..."

Iriaur listened with rapt interest. So there were differnt types of dragons? "Aside from fire and ice, are there other kind of dragons too?" He wondered which type of soul he had, and if it could be found out somehow. He blushed a little. "This is actually my first time seeing one, so I don't know much either..."

"Oh yes, there are lots of different kinds.. It would take a long time to explain all the types there are..." Aru leaned closer to examine his eyes. "Hmm... Obviously I'm not an expert, but from the green I would guess you might be one of the Nuiik... They're a type of dragon that lives in caves in the forests... They're very... Interesting..." He tried to put it as politely as possible, he really didn't get along with that species very well.

When the dragon leaned closer, Iriaur had to fight the reflex to lean back. It was a little embarrassing to be examined so intently. Then, as if having read his earlier thoughts, Aruno revealed his soul might be that of a Nuiik, along with a comment about them being interesting. That piqued Iri's curiosity, though he didn't pick up on the careful tone it was said in. "Interesting how?" His head tilted to the side questioningly.

Aru hesitated to reply, he didn't want to offend this person but he didn't really know how to explain himself. "Ah, they... They're very, different than my kind... I mean, its not bad exactly... They're just very different and.. Strange..." He lightly bit his lip and looked over at Iri, hoping he wouldn't have to explain any further.

Iriaur stared at Aruno while the dragon fumbled with his explanation, like he didn't want to say more. Usually the redhead would let the subject drop, but this was making his curiosity increase to unbearable heights. Were the Nuiik violent? Or maybe they were territorial, or stubborn? Or maybe they liked to deceive others? Iri didn't say anything, but his body language clearly indicated his desire to learn more as he continued staring the dragon, wide eyes brimming with curiosity.

Aru tried to avoid the other's gave. "Um, well... Just remember I don't know exactly what you are..." He said, clearly uncomfortable. "The Nuiin are highly religious, they believe they are the superior race chosen by their god... They only live on one island because, thankfully, their wings are too small to carry their bodies for more than a few minutes. They are incredibly strong in close combat, I've never heard of another dragon managing to defeat one in close range..." He hesitated for a moment before going on. "Their leader is a king that claims their god speaks through him... And recently he ordered the annihilation of all humans on their island... That isn't something dragons usually do, we have attacked small settlements that are too close to our territory or sacred areas, but it was completely needless..." He quickly tried to give Iriaur a reassuring smile. "B-but I'm sure you don't actually share any traits with them"

Iriaur paled a little. It seemed the Nuiin was a seriously messed up race. When Aruno was done with his explanation, Iri blinked. "Y-yeah... I guess the only similarity is being unable to leave an island..." He let out an awkward chuckle. "Though I'm a little glad that this soul ended up in me instead of one of them. One less Nuiin to, you know..." He mentally cursed his curiosity. Not only had he learned something he didn't really want to know, but he'd made Aruno uncomfortable too. He turned his gaze to the ground and bit his lip. "S-sorry..."

Aruno smiled gently at him. "it's alright... I just did want you to think you were somehow destined to become like them... I'm glad it didn't upset you" The dragon looked up ahead to try to spot the cave Iriaur mentioned. "how much farther is it? If it's too far then I could fly us there... it would be much faster" he looked over at the human again, hoping that he could just change the subject to something more relaxed. "Have you ever flown before?"

The redhead retuned the smile with a happy grin of his own. When Aruno suggested flying he gestured forward. "Oh, no, the pond is just beyond those willows there, and the cave is right next to it." He turned to look at the dragon beside him. "And no, I've never flown before." He chuckled and spoke in a playful, teasing tone. "I told you I've never seen a dragon before, and humans don't exactly have wings you know..."