Tempting Music - with Bellala99

sVerrine

Lloyd looked at the man beside him and was relived to see the result of his little experiment. The stiff atmosphere depleted and Lloyd also relaxed on his seat, only then realizing how tensed his muscles were.

'That's some improvement.' Lloyd thought for himself, contently. Then his attention was attracted by a rhythmic tap. He eyed Karl and was surprised too hear the quality of the sound - the rhythm was really good for such a complicated piece.

There are a few people who can control themselves and play the correct rhythm while being in shock, Lloyd knew himself only a few that could be counted on the fingers of a single hand. Lloyd loved talented people, of course, he also admired hard work, but the natural gift given to someone by nature was a different story. It was what made us so unique and different as human beings.

For a second, he thought that maybe Karl had this gift because of his condition. There were famous musician out there that after losing their sight, they became brilliantly talented at music.

The musician started to think of various things, but soon realized that Karl's current financial status wouldn't get him too far.

"What a waste." He muttered to himself, while listening to the music accompanied by the tapping.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zombie_In_A_Box

• sVerrine

• Tetsu

Karl let out a small sigh and lowered his head when he heard what the other muttered. It wasn't too hard for him to hear what others said quietly - his hearing really was better than mos people's. The brunet lightly bit his lip as he unconsciously continued tapping the rythm, trying to focus on that and not the fact that Lloyd said that was a waste.

He was probably talking about him having to drive Karl to Ruka... Maybe it really wasn't a good idea to ask him for that. The tapping slowly died out and soon the man's hands were completely still as he took in a slightly shaky breath. "...Sorry I made you drive me..." He finally said, quietly, almost as a whisper. Why did he have to be such a burden to everyone? All he wanted was a normal life where he doesn't need help from others to do the simplest tasks... Would he ever even get one?

Startled, Lloyd directed his head to Karl when the man spoke and looked confused at him. After a while, he realized that the other man had probably heard him and most surely misunderstood his intentions.

"No such thing. I was actually talking about your tapping. You have very good rhythm, it's a natural talent. I thought it was a waste that you didn't get the possibility to pursue it."

He made a pause in which he analyzed Karl's expression throughly, then decided to speak again.

"Also, stop saying such nonsenses. 'Sorry I made you drive me.'. You just witnessed an accident and went through a serious shock, not to speak that you are dead worried about Ruka. You didn't make me drive you, it was common sense for me to do that."

Lloyd sighed and decided, for an unknown reason, to continue. "For the record, I don't pity you. So stop saying such things." He stopped and took thoughts... perhaps he was a bit too harsh when explaining the situation. But he had spoken his mind clearly, so it shouldn't be a problem. Still, Karl was still in shock and maybe his words, although true, weren't the most comforting...

'Am I an ass?' Lloyd thought pensively.

Karl tilted his head as a soft, rosy blush covered his cheeks. Tapping? Oh, he must've done it without realizing it... Still, it felt nice to get a compliment about it. However, the blush was soon done as the other man continued talking and it just sounded a bit... A bit harsh.

The brunet took in a deep breath and nodded slightly as he forced himself to smile at least a little bit. “Oh... Alright, it seems I misunderstood you.“ Karl said quietly and lowered his head again, his hands completely still. “So... The tapping... Do you think I have any chances?“ He asked softly as he lightly gripped the hem of his shirt.

The brunet bit his lower lip a bit as he waited for an answer. If Lloyd said yes... It would mean the world to Karl. Knowing that he could play the piano, even if the chances were really slim would make him so happy! It would mean that he was one step closer to his dream coming true...

• 2 weeks later...

“So... The tapping... Do you think I have any chances?“

Lloyd looked pensively at him, and couldn't help but observe the glittering of hope in the other's man eyes. He liked to see others being passionate, and the fact that Karl also had some talent lurking inside him, was something that make Lloyd smile, even in that situation.

"With practice, yes, you have. To learn the notes and memorize where to put your fingers to play the song is the easiest part, everyone can do that with practice. Is harder to keep the pace and coordinate yourself, though. And if you have that as a natural talent, instinct if you want, then you really stand promising chances."

Lloyd though of it seriously, like for the first time, and a sudden though coursed through his mind.

"I once had a deaf friend who could play really well the piano and I remember him telling me that there was this institution for those with disabilities where, if you fit their profile, there were teachers there that would teach you for free. If I remember correctly, you had to know the basics of an instrument and play a simple song to demonstrate them that you are capable. It's like a competition, a few are chosen and then the training starts."

Karl's mood lightened up instantly once he heard what theother man had to say. The brunet couldn't help the soft, hopeful smile on his face - if his eyes were opened, happiness would be seen as well. The short male quietly began tapping again, quietly, as if he was afraid - or shy. “Oh, I see... Do you really think there's a chance of me having that natural instinct?“ He asked hopefully as he smiled once again.

Listening to the man, Karl now couldn't get the smile off his face. “Bach was also deaf for the last bits of his life... Of course, he was a genius, so there's no wonder he was able to continue writing music like that.“ The blind male said softly as he let out a small hum. “I'm guessing you aren't one of those teachers?“ Karl asked with a chuckle. It seemed that this conversation really made the man's mood better - it even made him forget about Ruka, at least for the moment. A warm breath escaped the shorter man's mouth as he continued tapping softly, trying to drown himself in the music like he often did - it was the best way for him to run away from the reality that seemed so cruel sometimes.

Karl sighed softly as his thoughts drifted towards the surgery for him to have a chance of seeing again. Of course, from there, his thoughts flew back to his dog - the way she always helped him and the terrifying sound he heard when she was hit. The brunet's tapping faltered for a few moments... How much money would he need to make things with her alright?

"No way." Lloyd said amusedly. "I have no teaching skills. I'm losing my patience really easily when I see that others don't understand what I am trying to say." He laughed the matter off and thought of the reason behind Karl's inquiries. Why would he desire him anyway to be his teacher? He hasn't even heard him playing the piano yet.

"You are so naive." Lloyd confessed loudly. "You trusted me so easily. What if I am not a pianist and I am fooling around, having an ulterior motive?" The situation was hypothetical, but Lloyd found it strange for the other man to trust him so facilely. Maybe he just gave away nonthreatening vibes that Karl could feel naturally?

Lloyd glanced at the other male, curious for his reaction and response on the matter.

Karl chuckled softly when he heard the other's words. "Is that so? You sound like a very patient person to me..." He said softly and smiled while leaning back comfortably against the seat. He sighed softly as he opened his grey-ish eyes for a moment. For some reason, he began to wonder what was it like to see... He was okay with the fact that he was blind by now... Or wasn't he?

The brunet tilted his head to one side as he heard Lloyd's words and smiled softly. "Well, first of all, I talked with you after a break-up..." It was very unpleasant to remind the older male about it. "Also, I can... Uhm... How to put it... Not exactly hear, but I feel something in people's voices. I can tell when a person wants bad for me or when he pities me or anything else - it's kind of like a good side of being blind. And... Honestly, if you did want something bad for me, you would've done something - even the smallest detail would give you out."

Hearing Karl talking, he thought of the discussion as being amusing. Lloyd found himself as if tempted to try to nurture some ulterior motives for their meetings, only to test the sixth sense that Karl claimed to have.

"Really." He chuckled bemusedly. "This friend that I've told you about, the one being deaf, also confessed to possess something similar - he was very good at reading the body language of the persons he spoke to, reason why he was extremely mistrustful." Lloyd made a short pause in which he tried to put all his thoughts in order, then continued. "Then he met this peculiar woman, just like in the movies. You see, she was a former actress, working as an assistant for a magician at the time of their meeting, so she himself knew very much about the body language. Well, the woman fancied my friend a great deal, so she showed him a side that the man couldn't read at all. I was there when they first met; you should have seen his face!"

Lloyd laughed silently, remembering the scene, the bewildered powerless expression of his friend's usual composed, even stoic countenance.

"Has this ever happened to you?"

Karl let out a soft chuckle as he listened to Lloyd talk. He could quite imagine this happening... "No, never happened to me. It isn't quite as easy to change your voice, or the tone. I'm guessing you rarely notice that, but a small part of, let's say, your voice always stays the same wether you're angry, sad or happy - any emotion at all. It's actually quite convenient to me - there's a really slim chance you'd fool me!" The brunet said almost proudly as he chuckled again.

"And, to be honest... I like your voice. You voice is, well, calm. Like the sea when there's no wind! Or like music..." As the man talked, his cheeks became slightly rosy. "I could probably listen to it for a long time, and I'd still like it. Then there's another thing - your voice always has something in it to surprise me." The brunet said softly and smiled. "I like that, too."

Lloyd's childish laugh engulfed the small space of the car's interior, as the engine of the car stopped and he grabbed the keys.

"That's the weirdest thing anyone has ever told me." He confessed, not paying too much attention to the meaning behind those words; it was not because he didn't observe the particular way in which Karl behaved, but because he vehemently refused to think of all its implications. Also, the time was amiss, in his opinion.

"We arrived. I'm glad that the atmosphere is a bit more lively than we left."

'I have a voice like the sea when there is no wind.' Lloyd laughed again in his mind, portraying just a chuckle on his complex countenance. Lloyd was no romantic and he have never tried too much to impress women, so the idea didn't come through as more than a joke. For an instant, the man wondered if others expected him to be a romantic given that he was a musician, a pianist. His music was no-where along the lines of tender and sensible, he usually labeled his work as grave and sometime chaotic. He made a mental note to ask Karl that after the concert.

Karl frowned and a small pout formed on his face as he heard the other laughing. "But I was serious..." He muttered out as his cheeks' color turned to a bit of a darker shade of red. Gosh- he just embarrassed himself so badly! The blind male shifted in his seat a bit uncomfortably as he licked his lips and sighed. "I meant it all..."

Karl got out of the car with a huff as he sighed and shook his head before reaching out to gently close the door. "So, we're here? Could you lead me there for now?" The brunet asked softly with a small smile, yet his cheeks stayed slightly red nevertheless. He really hoped that Lloyd wouldn't keep on reminding him about this - though honestly, even his voice was enough for that. It really was great to hear the man's voice like that... But when the pianist was laughing, it became even better - yet Karl kept that to himself. At least for now he did.

• 3 weeks later...

Lloyd's faint chuckle was still heard even after the man finished speaking; he displayed an amused expression, but deep down he denied everything and refused to think of Karl's words connotation. He went immediately to Karl's side and lifted his arm a little for Karl to grab it and for them to walk inside the hospital.

"Let's just forget it. Maybe we'll talk about it any other time. Now we have to see Ruka's condition."

Lloyd thought for the first time about his schedule that day. He was free in general, reason why the thought of helping Karl for the rest of the day crossed his mind. He will mention it later thought, Ruka's condition comes first.

Karl's expression turned into a slightly pained one when his dog was mentioned, yet he nodded nevertheless. He gripped onto Lloyd's hand when he extended it, lightly biting the inside of his cheek. His dog saved his life... What if she wouldn't live after all?

The blind male took in a shaky breath as he walked through something that felt like pavement - then turned to a patch of grass, and suddenly the smell of a hospital filled the air. Karl covered up his mouth as he coughed slightly - the smell always had this effect on him... Weird. "Do you know where she is?" He asked quietly once he was done, unonsciously tightening his grip on the piano player's hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Austin Hawking was coaxed. His best friend's lover had him playing by her hands. He was told by the woman that his bestfriend is cheating on her and that she felt lonely. She said Lloyd loved music than her and Austin can sympathize with that. He knew that Lloyd's passion for piano is beyond normal. He knew it since he is a musician himself.

Austin plays violin and sometimes he tends to prioritize music than more important things. Because of that, he lost an important person. He was out doing a concert performance when his girlfriend was rushed into the hospital. She was on her way to see his concert when she got into a traffic accident. He was told by the news, but the story was slightly altered. He was told his girlfriend was in a "little" accident so she can't see him.

Of course, he won't sacrifice a big concert over such little things. He can just visit her afterwards and apologize to her. It happens all the time and she always forgave him. He believed it's just the same. But in the end, he never got his forgiveness. No matter how much he apologized, his lover is now dead.

That left a big scar in his heart. He took some time off from the music industry. He never touched his violin since then. Holding the violin makes him remember his girlfriend. He got a job as a freelance music director. He sometimes lend hand to his friend Lloyd with his job.

And that was when Lloyd's girlfriend came to him. He was led with her lies; that Lloyd never loved her, that Lloyd is such a poor excuse of a guy. Somehow, he found his old self with Lloyd. And he wicked woman used him, had sex with him. She believed her and he even made an enemy out of his best friend and co-worker. He believed it was his duty to protect her in place of his dead girlfriend. He wanted to redeem himself through her. But he was never redeemed. He was dragged deeper into hell instead.

The girl told him she was just playing with him. Austin can't forgive her. But more than that, he can't forgive himself. He was controlled by his own past. He should have known what kind of person Lloyd is. He would never cheat on her. He may be too dedicated to music, but he knew that Lloyd will always find time to spend it with the people he cared for. How foolish of him to believe that rotten woman.

Stricken with deep guilt, and add his trauma of the past, Austin has develop a mild depression. He wanted to talk with someone, someone who can help him get by. He just wanted to redeem himself. He wanted to apologize to Lloyd, he wanted his friend back.

"A psychologist eh... I guess I need to consult with one"

Austin got a pamphlet for a psychologist. He had decided to give him a ring, but had second thoughts. He decided it will be better to meet him personally. He never had thought he'd ever consult to a psychologist. He always thought that psychologists treats crazy people exclusively. Well, given the circumstances, he is pretty crazy for what he have done.

"Dr. Karl huh. I wonder what kind of things he'd do to me "

Lloyd heard the other man asking a question about Ruka and he responded without turning his head.

"Sincerely, no. We will have to ask around." And as the low husky voice of the man echoed imperturbably in the relatively spacious information room of the veterinary, they approached the nearest desk.

"Excuse me, Madam." Lloyd adressed to the short black woman who was desperately searching for some information in a pill of papers. "Do you happen to know what happened to the dog transported here about half an hour ago? "

The woman lift her gaze and watched curtly at Lloyd and then turned a curious gaze towards Karl and the way he held himself glued to Lloyd.

"Are you the owner?" She inquired, continuing to stare.

Lloyd shook his head in disagreement and pointed his fingers to Karl. "He is."

Karl's mood dropped a bit more when he heard the other's answer. Alright, so it wasn't his fault he didn't know, but... He couldn't help but feel upset about it. After all, it was Ruka they were talking about...

As the two of them walked towards somewhere where he could hear a woman speaking, Karl couldn't help but grip onto Lloyd's hand a bit tighter. Fear was seeping into his heart - what if Ruka wasn't able to recover at all? He couldn't bring himself to leave her to die, nor could he get a new dog. He knew he'd be far too guilty.

When he heard the question, Karl took a small step towards the woman, about to answer when the pianist did it for him. "Yes, I'm the owner. Where is she? Is there any way for her to get well?" The young man questioned quietly, with one hand still gripping onto Lloyd while the woman seemed slightly confused - it took her some time to realize the guy was blind.

"Uhm... I think you should go down this hall, then turn to the right and head towards the very end. In there someone should tell you everything you need." The woman explained quietly as she smiled slightly. Her eyes seemed somewhat understanding - who knew, maybe she had experienced the same.

Austin had formerly decided to visit the psychologist. However, his mind changed again. It's been happening a lot recently. He can't seem to choose one thing over the other, often times he just alternates between two things. He was just about to leave his room. However, the moment he took a step out of his room, anxiety came over to him. What if he's branded crazy? What if he's sent to the mental hospital? And like that, he ha decided to give the psychologist a ring.

Austin looked for the flyer which seemed to be missing. He's rather becoming forgetful these days as well. According to some research he had done, this is also a symptom of having psychological issue. He found the flyer underneath the sofa. Picking it up, he also picked up a photograph of his dead lover. He used to cry on it over and over again. However, for some reasons, he won't cry over it anymore. He only felt a big emptiness inside him.

"Okay. I'll do this"

After dialing the number, Austin heard the phone ringing on the other line. Waiting for it to be picked up, he practiced the lines he had memorized.

"Hello, Good Morning. This is Austin Hawking. I would like to visit your clinic today. Would it be possible to get an appointment from Dr. Karl?" he said when someone picked up the phone. Though his heart was beating loudly, he was able to do it.