A Fleeting Respite

Fmkitty

Title: A Fleeting Respite

Fandom: Togainu no Chi

Pairing: Shiki x Akira

Summary:

[This story is set after the Cat and Mouse ending aka Shiki’s ED2 (the PSP/PS2 version)]

Akira knew that something was off about Shiki during their usual sword-fight, and he didn’t like it all. However, as soon as he found out the reason behind it…

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

Chapter 1.

Somewhere in the middle of the ruins of Toshima. For a long time, it’s been nothing more than a ghost city where only one or two stray animals or rodents may pass by or lurk in the darker corner.

A place where no sane human wanders. At least not the ones who fear to tread too far and never to be found alive.

Even the everlasting gray clouds hide the sun, moon, and stars, making this wasteland gloomier and hopeless. As if this city is a liminal space, an endless labyrinth with no escape… Or rather - netherworld on the Earth.

However, not today. Not at the moment.

Right now, the sound of a clashing blade echoes deep inside the ruins of former Toshima. It’s another encounter between a certain two skilled swordsmen, but for them, it’s as thrilling as their first match.

While the silver-haired assassin keeps blocking his opponent’s attack after attack, he can tell that something is off.

Despite that, there is no spare second to deeply analyze, but he feels that Shiki is slower and rustier than usual.

It is not important why he does that. Be it as a taunt or provocation or merely to be an annoying prick. For now, the explanation can wait until one of them will fall. Or so Akira convinces himself while counter-attacking another strike.

However, aside from this detail, something else catches Akira’s eye. The way how the red-eyed man’s face twitches in pain and slightly shrugs upon more sudden movement, doesn’t leave him unaffected.

Despite Akira’s secret concern, he continues focusing on their fight and waits until his opponent leaves an easy opening spot.

Lastly, without having anything to lose, Shiki charges at him.

Fortunately, at the last second, Akira dodges the attack and strikes the other swordsman’s back with the handle of his sword. And thus, with a short grunt, Shiki harshly hits the cold ground.

In the end, the heavy clouds withdraw like a curtain, and the platinum moonlight illuminates the victor of a hard-fought battle.

While Akira stands still and keeps his poker face, he points the tip of his sword at his opponent’s throat, who lies on his back and stares back.

Finally, after such a long time, the same man who humiliated him by sparing his life has fallen. The same man, who let him live because it was pointless to taint his blade with weakling’s blood, now lies under his foot and at his mercy.

However, is it worth it? Why, instead of feeling excited and satisfied, the silver-haired man feels disappointed, empty, and probably upset?

As Akira lowers his head, he whispers “It’s not what I wanted…”.

Suddenly, the blue-eyed killer spits out the words “Why are you like this!”.

After a short pause, he continues scolding “Why even now do you look down on me? You even held back and went easy on me.”.

When he shakily exhales, he clenches his other hand into a fist “Why?… And look at you now, you will die.”. Lastly, he brings closely the tip of the blade until it gently touches Shiki’s neck.

A minute passes. The silver-haired swordsman takes the sword into both hands and lifts the tip of it. When Akira lowers his shoulders, he closes his blue eyes before planning to land a fatal hit.

Suddenly, the blade sinks deep into the ground.

When Akira opens his eyes, he releases the sword and shakily clenches his hands into fists.

Even on the verge of death, Shiki only studied him all this time. Perhaps, he wasn’t aware that his partner would purposely miss his target but already resigned his fate.

For sure, the blue-eyed assassin cannot understand such behavior, and it makes him anxious, frustrated, and annoyed.

After Akira sits on top of Shiki, he grasps the handle of his sunken sword and addresses him “What is wrong with you? That is just selfish to throw away your life like this and give up… You stupid fool…”.

However, when he feels how the inner side of his thigh warms up, he widens his eyes “The hell?”.

When Akira lifts his partner’s black t-shirt, he shakily remarks on the soaked-in bright red clothing attached to the side of his waist “Wait… I didn’t cut you there. I didn’t even aim there. How did you even?…Why haven't you tell this earlier?!… Shit …Fuck!”.

Meanwhile, the dark-haired man only turned his head and closed his eyes “Hmph.”.

“That’s all you have to say?!” Or so the blue-eyed man speaks up at the top of his lungs. Despite wanting to slap his partner for his reckless behavior, he deeply exhales and adds “How did you expect me to finish you off when you weren’t giving your best?”.

Yet, Shiki replies “Then, stop whining and leave if that bothers you so much.”.

Instead of arguing any further, Akira climbs off his partner, and after taking a hand and placing his arm on his shoulder, he helps him to stand up “Let’s go. If we are lucky, we may find a med kit, and where we can stay.”.

“Idiot…” Or so the red-eyed man comments.

While Akira supports him, he instantly backfires “I wonder who is the bigger one.”. And with these words, the silver-haired has to make sure that both of them safely leave the once-familiar city and check on his partner.

Some time passes. And after wandering around, this couple finds an old, cheap inn. More importantly, the luck is on their side.

According to the inn owner, if they have arrived even a minute later, they would have searched for another place to stay.

Usually, there is no issue for Akira to deal with such petite problems as no vacant rooms by drawing his blade and threatening the staff.

However, this time, it may have caused more naught than use. More so, he is not alone, and who knows if Shiki hides more wounds. So, there would be nothing to gain of.

Meanwhile, after noticing the bleeding swordsman, the shocked receptionist immediately offered to call the ambulance. Unfortunately for this person, their offer is declined, and the silver-haired man demands a room key and to leave all available first aid kits in their room.

And thus, without any second thought, the receptionist and other staff obeyed this order.

Of course, Shiki won't be himself without cracking a smile at how despite Akira's serious look, he reminded him of nothing more than a protective puppy with a lowered tail and ears.

After the blue-eyed assassin looks at him, he thinks to himself while feeling slightly relieved that if this idiot can act like a smug bastard, Shiki’s life is not in grave danger as he feared.

Lastly, when they reach their room, Akira asks the staff not to interface. And thus, upon all the workers bow and leave, this couple enters the room.

As Akira locks the door behind him, he carries Shiki into the bed and lays him down.

“It wouldn’t hurt if you help me out a bit.” Or so the silver-haired man comments as he tries to remove his partner’s long coat.

It’s impressive how Shiki behaves like a cooperative patient for once and doesn’t resist. Perhaps he is in great pain that he can silently endure any treatment. But who could have done it? Either way, all questions can wait until that reckless fool recovers. Or so Akira assumes after getting rid of this piece of clothing.

Just when he is about to lift the dark-haired man’s t-shirt, his wrist is grabbed, and he is stopped by Shiki’s voice “Leave it. You are just wasting your time.”

As Akira raises an eyebrow, he listens further “I can take care of it on my own.”

“I can see how well you managed. Listen, I won’t leave you no matter how hard you try to get rid of me. Not until you are fully recovered.” Or so the blue-eyed assassin confesses.

After a short pause, Shiki closes his eyes and exhales “...Do as you wish.”.

For a good moment, Akira remains speechless at the red-eyed swordsman's attitude, but instead of scolding him, he stands up and closes his eyes “Then, make sure that I’ll find you undressed when I return.”.

Lastly, the silver-haired man looks at Shiki before heading to the bathroom.

Several minutes pass by. Soon enough, the silver-haired man leaves the bathroom carrying a basin with fresh water and a small towel.

However, when he notices his shirtless partner sitting on the bed and his eyes follow him, he closes his eyes and sighs.

On the other hand, Shiki is still here and didn't leave. So, that’s already something new. More so, even if he only removed his t-shirt and long leather gloves, knowing him, it's quite an effort.

Therefore, Akira cannot force himself to be mad that the dark-haired man only half accomplished the given instructions.

Besides, it’s no good to feel agitated when he should be focusing on more important things. Or so the silver-haired man convinces himself while he puts down the basin next to the bed and removes his long black coat and gloves.

“It would be better if you lie down. Because you would make things easier for yourself and me.” Akira comments when he brings the first aid kit from the top of the night drawer on the bed.

Lastly, when he kneels, he opens the medkit and begins his patient’s treatment.

At first, he carefully removes the poorly attached bloody clothing attached by the plaster on the waist side. Who knows how long Shiki has used it to cover his wound? But one thing is for sure - it got stuck, and removing it by force will cause massive bleeding.

After Akira takes the spray disinfectant, he warns the red-eyed man “It may sting a bit. So, don’t try to kick me off now ‘cos we both gonna end up in a nasty mess.”.

“Hmph. Just get down to the business.” Shiki briefly replies.

As the blue-eyed assassin focuses on spraying the disinfectant on the clotted tissue, he sighs.

Finally, he disposes of the stained red clothing and examines his partner’s wound.

One thing is killing people in cold blood and being followed by death. At this point, taking one’s life and cutting it into pieces is nothing more than a gray, boring routine.

However, seeing such a deep cut on his partner’s body is something hard and painful for him. It even makes a ruthless killing machine like Akira become pale and shiver.

More importantly, if someone had cut Shiki deeper until it may reach his internal organs, Akira may only encounter his cold corpse covered in red and revealed intestines, staring at him with lifeless, dimmed eyes. For sure, such a mental image alone makes the silver-haired man have shortness of breath and freeze in the same spot.

Although, he immediately snaps himself to reality, and after he grabs a wet towel, he drains it. Just before he brings it to injury, he asks “Do you need anything to bite into? And, no, you’re not biting into yourself. You already have enough injuries to treat.”.

Meanwhile, Shiki only turns his head away without saying anything.

By far, as Akira wipes around the injured area, he has no issues. However, when the towel touches the edge of the cut, his partner’s sudden movement, he nearly startles.

“Please, endure for longer. I need to clean it well before taking care of it.” Or so he comforts the dark-haired man while focusing on the current task.

After he is done with cleaning, he puts the bloody towel into the water, which soon dyes in the same crimson color.

Without wasting time, he picks the sterile cotton and carefully dries the wound and its area by gently tapping.

However, the most challenging part is still ahead. Therefore before moving to the next stage, no matter how Akira wants to avoid it, he has to restrain Shiki.

Meanwhile, the red-eyed swordsman can see how his partner is too tense and nervous. It can’t be helped. He has to help loosen the tension in the best way he knows.

When Akira places his hand on his partner’s belt, he hears a small teasing in a suggestive tone “So, this is what you wanted?~ How impatient of you.”.

Of course, hearing such an unexpected remark widens his blue eyes and almost makes his cheeks warm up. Nevertheless, he has to remind someone of their position and place.

“Keep the thoughts of your lower brain to yourself.” Or so the silver-haired man backfires as he unbuckles the belt and removes it. Lastly, as he pins Shiki’s wrists with one hand and with another one tying him to the bed frame, he declares “You are my patient and you should focus on saving your strength now.”.

Meanwhile, it’s entertaining to observe how Akira’s reactions. More so, after such remark, his shoulders are less stiff while he prepares for the next procedure.

After Akira sits, he picks up the spray disinfectant and rustling paper package from the med kit. As he rolls out the paper, he picks up the bend surgical needle, and with one sudden move, he inserts the thread through the needle's eye.

“It might hurt a bit. So, don’t tell me that I didn’t warn you.” Or so the blue-eyed assassin reminds before spraying the disinfectant on the wound area.

Finally, when he takes a deep breath, he pierces the edge of the wound and begins to suture it. A tiny stitch after a stitch by using a 90-degree angle, and the open injury slowly narrows.

Even so, from time to time, Akira checks on his partner if he is okay. After all, it’s his first time sewing a living person’s flesh and not the practice dummy’s or dead body. And from what he learned, he needs speed and precision so that the scar would heal nicely without leaving an ugly mark.

More important, he had to learn to do it because he knew that Shiki may put his life at risk for no good reason. And it seems today he has to use his learned skills.

Yet, Akira is surprised how aside from hearing slightly shivery respiratory and noticing that narrowed gaze, his partner is doing well and not resisting at all.

Some time passes. Finally, he sews the end of the wound and carefully ties a knot a few times before cutting the thread.

“There. It’s finally over. I just need to cover it.” Or so the silver-haired man adds in a soft tone as he sprays the disinfectant on the sewn wound and dries it by gently tapping the cotton pad.

After he covers the surgical scar with the snow-white clothing, he briefly wonders whether he should use the medical bandage or rely on the plaster.

On the other hand, Shiki is not that reckless idiot to tear it apart immediately after he gets released. Perhaps the medical plaster should do for tonight. Or so Akira hopes while rolling enough plaster.

When he cuts a few short plaster lines and a couple of longer ones, he peels off the cover and firmly attaches them.

Once he tidies up the mess around the bed and closes the first aid kit, he feels it is time to loosen his partner’s restraint.

After Akira sits on the bed, he leans closer to Shiki, who gives him a tired smile and addresses him “Just do not try anything funny. Right now, even one sudden move may open your wounds. So, stay still ‘cos I don’t want to sew it again, got it?”.

“You worry too much.” The dark-haired man replies when his hands are released.

Yet, Akira quickly comments “And who’s fault for that?”. Suddenly, he widens his eyes as the pair of hands placed behind his lower back and pushes him to lie down.

Soon enough, he slightly frowns to hide his bewilderment “What did I tell you earlier?”.

“Just stay quiet for a moment.” Shiki demands as he closes his eyes and wraps his other arm around his partner’s shoulders.

For sure, it’s pointless to argue with him any further. Or Akira thinks to himself as he sighs while avoiding his body touching Shiki’s sewn wound. Lastly, when he closes his eyes, he whispers “You are truly an idiot…”.

In the end, he understands that he fell for this big feline’s trap, and now it’s only a matter of time before he’ll be released and be able to tidy the mess, which might be no different from the war field hospital.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fmkitty

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 2.

Some time passes, and the blue-eyed assassin wakes up. However, something is off. Akira feels so warm and has plenty of space to move around.

After he opens his eyes and sits, he notices he is tucked under the blanket.

Was he asleep? And for how long? Or so Akira wonders.

When he looks around, he notices that the room is tidy. More importantly, a certain swordsman is missing. But he also notices a katana resting close to his in the corner.

That is enough to convince him that Shiki is not far away. Nevertheless, the silver-haired man is getting anxious, because where is his partner?

Either way, it’s pointless to worry or overthink too hard. This is what Akira decides as he gets up and heads to the bathroom.

Speaking of the devil, just as he is about to open the door, his instincts act quickly, and he avoids the door.

Firstly, he notices the singly dripping droplets from Shiki’s still-wet ebony locks. After Akira lifts his confused gaze until his blue eyes meet the crimson ones, he fixates on them while stepping back.

A second later, he closes his eyes and exhales. Just before leaving, he addresses his partner while keeping his face calm. “I’ll check how your wound is doing once I return.” Lastly, when the silver-haired man closes the bathroom door behind him, he leans against it and places a palm on his chest.

He doesn’t understand the burst of warmth inside his heart after seeing the red-eyed swordsman is alright and not hunting for revenge. But for now, Akira takes a shower, hoping it will brush away irrational emotions, as he refers to them.

A half-hour passes by. After the silver-haired man leaves the bathroom, he does his best to keep his poker face. Unfortunately, Shiki’s inquisitive gaze following him only makes it difficult for Akira.

After Akira picks a first aid kit from the night drawer, he sits on the bedside next to Shiki. Surprisingly, the dark-haired man isn’t resisting and allows his partner to lift his t-shirt and expose his chest.

Apparently, the bandage is missing. On the other hand, the sewn wound isn’t bleeding nor festering, and that relieves the blue-eyed assassin.

When he sprays the disinfectant on the injury area, he asks, “Why did you do this?”

Meanwhile, Shiki raises an eyebrow.

“Why do you have to be reckless?” The silver-haired man scolds while he covers the wound with the clean bandage. After he lowers his head, he adds, “…If I knew, I wouldn’t have challenged you.”

After a long pause, Shiki breaks the silence with a simple answer. “It’s what you wanted.”

Such an answer only makes the silver-haired man’s chest sore, and he bites his lower lip.

Suddenly, Akira grabs his partner’s t-shirt and brings him closer. “Would you jump from the rooftop if I did so? You may have died…” When he lifts his head and stares at Shiki, his eyes burn with rage. “I won’t forgive anyone who did this! Be it That Man, devil or god - I don’t care who! If I find that bastard, I’ll make him pay and murder him in cold blood!”

Finally, the blue-eyed male declares, “Then, I’ll remind you until your stupid head will understand that no one is allowed to interfere with us. Nor that anyone can even scratch you. You and your life belong to me!” Lastly, he widens his blue eyes and impatiently waits for his partner’s reaction.

After such a confession, Shiki remains speechless for a few moments. When he narrows his gaze and smirks, he replies, “Hmph. Is that so?”

Suddenly, Shiki pushes him down on the bed and restrains his wrists. After he climbs on top of the silver-haired assassin, he adds in a nearly purring voice, “However, you still lack discipline.”

As soon as Akira notices his partner’s suggestive look on his face and leans closer to him, he realizes that is screwed. While the warmth rushes to his cheeks, his heart beats loudly. Despite his position, he won’t allow this man to do as he wishes.

After the silver-haired man closes his eyes, he shakes off at least one hand. Suddenly, he covers Shiki’s face with it and does not let him get any closer while backfiring. “And you are still under my care, you fool! First, recover. Then, you can do as you wish.”

Meanwhile, the red-eyed swordsman is kept away like a feline who cannot reach the desired treat no matter how hard he tries. A few moments later, he grabs the wrist of the same arm that resists him and moves it aside.

After studying his partner’s questioning face, he climbs off Akira and sits on the bed's edge. Lastly, without looking back, he orders, “Get up. We are leaving.”

While the silver-haired male is dumbfounded and stares at Shiki, he half sits and replies, “Huh?”

“Unless you want to stay for longer,” Shiki suggests when he stands up and picks up his long coat and sword. After he attaches his blade, he turns his head and gives a demanding gaze. “What are you doing? You’re going with me.”

In the end, Akira remains silent, and after getting up, he also looks for his coat and weapon. He dislikes it when someone orders him around. On the other hand, he has planned to change the scenery soon.

Besides, it might lower their chance to encounter bounty hunters or other unwanted types. More importantly, it may let Akira protect his partner from threats.

“As if I’ll let him fight in his current state,” the silver-haired man thinks to himself as he fixes his coat and follows Shiki.

Some time passes. So far, their trip has been peaceful. However, after reaching the abandoned streets of the new location, Akira immediately stops walking and looks around.

The sound of rustling chains and metal alerts him, while his partner is apparently unbothered.

Suddenly, the silver-haired male widens his eyes as a group of feral crackheads rush at him and Shiki.

Without wasting time, he draws his blade and gracefully slashes his opponents with a few strikes.

As the bloody fountain splashes, the corpses hit the cold ground. Lastly, Akira wipes the dark crimson liquid from his sword and drops the stained tissue on his victim’s body.

For sure, that is nothing more than a waste of time. Or so the blue-eyed assassin muses as he puts the clean blade away.

Meanwhile, Shiki only silently observes without interfering. After all, it was a brief but amusing view for him.

But for now, the preserved blue-eyed killer’s growling stomach breaks the silence.

For sure, there cannot be a worse time than now. “Don’t say anything…” Akira thinks while he closes his eyes and frowns.

Unfortunately for him, his partner gives him a smug look. “Just wait for a bit longer and we should arrive soon.”

Instead of saying anything, the irritated blue-eyed male lifts his head and increases his speed. After he turns his head, he indignantly gazes at the dark-haired man, as if prompting something.

While Shiki continues getting entertained by his partner’s reaction, he exhales and fixes his hair.

Another hour passes. Finally, these travelers arrive at another more lively and civilized part of the city. Fortunately for them, there are even small shops close to it. Before settling in the new place, Akira insists they should get food and water supplies along with the first aid kit.

Surprisingly, the dark-haired man doesn’t mind and agrees. On the other hand, such unusual behavior slowly makes Akira anxious.

But for now, he brushes his suspicions aside and tries not to think too hard.

After a while, the couple reach the doorstep of the hotel. Perhaps it can be a decent place to rest for a few days, or at least until Shiki’s scar heals, and it will be safe to remove the suture.

Even if Shiki may try to move, he can be easily restrained or taken down until he calms down. Akira contemplates this as he fixes his coat’s collar and the backpack’s belts. Lastly, he pushes the door open.

When studying the traditional Western-style interior, which was commonly found in the highest quality hotels before the war, and the atmosphere alone, it’s clear that cheap criminals or average citizens cannot afford even to stand in such a place.

Certainly, it dawns on Akira that they walked into the wrong place. For now, he slightly shrugs and addresses the dark-haired man, “We should leave. There is no way we’ll be able to stay here without getting questioned.”

Shiki only closes his eyes and replies, “Nonsense. You worry too much.”

The silver-haired male only watches as his arrogant counterpart walks toward the receptionist’s table. “Don’t act like I haven’t warned you, you idiot,” he murmurs.

Meanwhile, when the receptionist notices that both sketchy incomers openly carry dangerous weapons, he fears for his life. It doesn’t help that one of them freely approaches him as if it’s his home.

Therefore, the trembling man remains polite and holds his hands, hoping it will drive away these strangers. “I’m terribly sorry to inform you, sir. Unfortunately, we do not have vacant rooms.” Yet, his warning is useless.

Suddenly, the red-eyed swordsman slams his hand on the counter and stares at the receptionist.

Even the passing personnel freeze in the same spot and turn their head toward the direction of the sudden noise. However, as quickly as it catches the staff’s attention, their curiosity disappears, and they continue their work.

Unfortunately, the receptionist is left alone to deal with violent guests. “Sir, I must ask you to leave. If you resist, I may also have no other choice than to call security or even the police,” the poor worker adds. While forcing himself to smile, the receptionist’s hand moves under the counter. Yet, he hesitates to press the alarm button out of fear.

After Shiki retrieves something from his pants pocket, he tosses it on the counter. “How much do you want?”

The scarred man’s heart suddenly drops to his heels as he stares at the thick pile of bills. He cannot comprehend what happened and how he is still alive.

Shiki fixates his demanding crimson eyes on the receptionist like a large feline looking down on a lowly insect. “Is that enough for you?” Meanwhile, the receptionist manages to nod.

“I won’t repeat myself twice. Give us the key to our room,” the dark-haired man threatens.

In the meantime, Akira only facepalms. “You fool… was that really necessary?”

Yet, Shiki remains unhinged and snatches the keys to their new room from the worker’s hand. Lastly, he turns toward the blue-eyed male.

As Akira rolls his eyes, he walks toward the counter and nags at the delighted swordsman. “You should be glad that we’re not kicked out yet.”

“You have a place to stay now. So, don’t complain,” the dark-haired man backfires.

In the end, Akira only sighs, and before leaving the reception room, he nods and silently apologizes for Shiki’s behavior. Besides, it would be wiser because it may reduce their chance of getting black-listed and having new enemies hunting them.

When they enter their room, Akira removes the backpack from his shoulders, throws it on the double-sized bed, and hangs his long coat on the hanger close to his partner’s.

After he sits next to Shiki on the bed, he opens the backpack and passes him a Solid. “Here.”

Yet, his partner crosses his arms and declines. “I don’t need it. So, you have it first.”

Akira only argues, “I will take it, but you need it more than I do. Why do you think I got more food this time? Who knows when the last time you’ve eaten something was… and it may help you to recover faster.”

In the end, the ebony-haired swordsman takes the offered bar from the same hand that treated his wound and removes the wrapping paper.

Seeing how this man takes from his hand reminds him of a proud feline who finally trusts him. He is also secretly relieved and glad that Shiki accepts his help.

However, Akira instantly picks up another Solid and unwraps it. As he lowers his head and eagerly munches on the omurice flavored bar, he hopes to hide his face before Shiki gets any weird ideas and teases him. And thus, Solids disappear one after another while the silver-haired man repeatedly checks that his partner is eating and not just sitting and waiting.

Several hours pass. It’s already past midnight, and both swordsmen are peacefully resting.

Of course, before calling it a day and going to bed, Akira stubbornly refuses to sleep on the same bed as Shiki.

One of his main reasons was that he might move during his sleep and accidentally open his partner’s scar, and how he prefers to sleep on the floor. Unfortunately, the dark-haired swordsman doesn’t buy into this.

When Akira picks the bedside closer to the window, he turns away and curls into a ball, while Shiki behaves like an actual cat and takes more than half of the bed.

But for now, the silver-haired man silently groans and lazily opens his eyes as he feels someone’s body pressing against his back and an arm thrown over him.

Moreover, someone’s hair is tickling his neck. Yet, he refuses to move and see if Shiki is doing this on purpose to annoy him or if it’s only an involuntary movement during his sleep.

If his partner is awake, the silver-haired man should stay still and not fall for his provocation. Firstly, he is too tired to deal with Shiki’s shenanigans. Secondly, his partner may ignore his wound and attempt to do something reckless… or so Akira convinces himself while he lies on his side.

As soon as he feels how the dark-haired man tightens his hug, he murmurs, “What are you-?” Despite that, he doesn’t receive a response, apart from Shiki weakly exhaling before returning to silence.

“So, is he asleep? If he doesn’t try anything funny, it should be fine, I guess,” Akira ponders while he continues being embraced by the dark-haired man.

As Akira sighs, he realizes that the more time he spends with this man, the more he doesn’t understand him or his recent behavior.

Although, it’s fine by him. If Shiki is by his side and not doing anything reckless, that is alright, the silver-haired man thinks to himself as he slowly closes his eyes and eventually falls asleep.

A few days pass by. Finally, today is a big day. After the daily checkup on Shiki’s wound, Akira decides it’s finally safe to remove the suture.

While he sits on the bedside, he picks up the disinfectant spray, scalpel, and medical tweezers and prepares for the incoming procedure. This time, he doesn’t restrain the dark-haired man. Besides, Shiki voluntarily partially lies down while observing the blue-eyed male.

Fortunately, compared to suturing an injury, this is not that intense of a procedure. Yet, it should not be taken lightheartedly, especially because one wrong movement can lead to severe damage or cause infection.

And thus, while keeping this in mind, Akira lifts his partner’s t-shirt and leans closer to him. “Try not to move too much, got it?”

Yet, as the dark-haired man fixates his gaze on Akira, he keeps a poker face and slowly blinks like a feline.

Firstly, the blue-eyed male sprays the disinfectant on the injury and waits until it dries before moving to the next step.

A couple of minutes pass. Then, Akira takes the tweezers into his non-dominant hand and the small scalpel into his dominant one. Before starting the procedure, the silver-haired male stares at his partner. “You might feel uncomfortable for a bit.”

When the blue-eyed assassin carefully picks the suture close to the knot, he cuts it. Soon he cuts another thread, and while he holds on to the knot, he removes the first stitch.

Another cut stitch, another one taken from the injury. The silver-haired man works with precision while checking how Shiki is doing.

Lastly, when Akira removes the last thread, he again sprays the disinfectant and cleans the healed wound. “Here. It’s finally over.”

However, just when the blue-eyed assassin is about to stand and tidy the mess, a pair of arms wrap around him. While one rests on his waist, another rests on his shoulder.

A second later, Akira shakily closes his eyes and gasps at the sensation of his partner’s tongue against his sensitive, exposed neck. “What are you…?” he inquires in his sweet, shivery voice while his t-shirt’s lower zipper is opening.

Hell, he can feel how the dark-haired man’s hand slides under his open t-shirt and rubs his waist.

Instead of letting Shiki toy with him, Akira places his palm on the same one that is on his shoulder and turns back to face him. “Not now, you fool…”

Perhaps his partner wants to sound strict, but with such alluring expressions on his face, he begs to be eaten right here, right now. Akira seems to be yearning for his touch as well. It is evident that, from his honest reactions, he has been holding back during this whole time, the red-eyed swordsman thinks to himself.

However, Akira lowers the held hand and escapes from his grasp. Finally, he stands up. “Enough! Sharp blades are lying around. What if you get hurt?” he groans, while hiding his still blushing face and tidying up after the recent procedure.

After a short pause, the silver-haired man turns around and explains in a softer tone, “I just need to run to the shop and get some food. Then, tonight you’ll learn what happens if you mess with me.” When he grabs his long coat, he rushes through the door without lowering the zipper of his t-shirt or wearing his long leather gloves.

Meanwhile, Shiki lowers his head and delightfully smiles. As he tilts his head and fixes his hair, he looks forward to whatever his partner has planned.

Chapter 3.

Around an hour passes. Finally, the silver-haired swordsman returns and hangs the dark leather coat. When he looks in his partner’s direction, he closes his eyes and sighs.

Judging by the lingering scent of shampoo and damp hair, Shiki has recently taken a shower.

“As if he knew what is coming…” Akira thinks as he approaches the other swordsman.

But for now, the silver-haired male raises an eyebrow and comments on Shiki’s amused face. “What is it with you? Do you see anything entertaining?”

After grasping the silver cross around his partner’s neck, the blue-eyed male thrusts his chest. “If I were you, I wouldn’t be laughing. Because, tonight, you will be the one under the leash.”

Instead of saying anything, Shiki wraps his arm around Akira’s waist and observes how his partner briefly turns his head and lowers his gaze.

“You cannot go without your dirty tricks, can you?” The blue-eyed swordsman whispers before fixating eyes on his partner.

While he holds onto the cross, he brushes his other palm against Shiki’s chest.

To his surprise, the dark-haired male doesn't reject his hand; rather, he narrows his crimson eyes and exhales silently.

However, it doesn’t matter what Shiki is up to by acting this way. For now, all he knows is that no matter how hard it’s admitting, he was longing for this man and his touch for too long.

Although, he isn’t sure about his partner.

After all, if that was the case, he would be under this man’s control even by having a fatal wound. Or so Akira ponders as he stares at Shiki and asks to confirm that the latter is not the case.

Suddenly, Shiki pushes him onto the bed, making him lie down, and sits next to him.

“So, that’s his answer, huh? Yet, I can’t let him win this time.” Akira thinks as he extends his arms and wraps around his partner.

When Shiki leans closely to him and climbs on top of him, the silver-haired swordsman rolls them, making sure that it won’t open the wound.

As Akira sits on top of him, he fixates his blue eyes on Shiki, who delightfully stares at him, before making the next move.

He doesn’t know why Shiki is so passive this time. Even if he is looking down on him, he’ll show his place. Akira convinces himself while he pins and holds the dark-haired male’s wrists with one hand.

Meanwhile, Shiki remains entertained while allowing his precious prized possession to do as he pleases... At least let him think that way.

After Akira unbuckles and removes his partner’s belt, he uses it to restrain him. Lastly, he leans close to him.

“Let’s see how would you like to taste your own medicine.” The blue-eyed swordsman whispers into his ear.

Observing Akira's poker face, Shiki chuckles silently, finding it anything but intimidating.

After the silver-haired male withdraws his face, he corners his partner with one hand and another one resting on his belly.

For now, he gives a questioning look before moving to the next step.

When Akira swallows the saliva and shakily exhales, his hand slides under Shiki’s t-shirt. After all, it’s the first time he can touch this fearsome man like this, and he doubts it will be a second chance.

More so, Shiki’s skin is much smoother than he imagined.

Behind Akira’s serious face, he is excited by the soft sensation against his palm when he brushes his partner’s abs as if he discovered something new.

Hopefully, it won’t be a deadly but alluring trap like a cat’s soft belly. Although, it won’t be surprising if that is true. After all, someone keeps behaving like a proud, arrogant feline. The blue-eyed male cracks a smile while he stares at Shiki with impatient eyes.

After grabbing the hem of the ebony-haired man’s t-shirt, he exposes his chest.

Suddenly, Akira feels the heat rushing to his cheeks and how wild his heartbeat is by enjoying the captivating view in front of him.

Certainly, he cannot remove his honestly admiring gaze from his partner’s body. It’s not the first time he sees Shiki’s bare chest or him naked, but it feels different this time.

At the moment, Akira can appreciate his partner’s body as long as he wants.

That pale and beautiful doll-like skin, a flawless perfection - all it belongs to him. Unfortunately, one painful detail clenches Akira’s heart.

When the silver-haired male lowers his gaze, he closes his eyes and sighs.

Even if the scar on Shiki’s waist is healed, it will take time to disappear. Until then, it will remind Akira how his partner’s life thread was so close to being cut by the evil one. No. Perhaps it will be also a mark that he snatched this man from Death’s chilly hands.

Yet, his further thoughts are interrupted by Shiki’s voice. “Don’t waste time on useless thoughts when you have to satisfy your master.”

The silver-haired man gives an annoyed look and starts licking his healed scar without saying anything.

Anywhere where Akira’s tongue touches, he doesn’t miss a chance to land a soft kiss. When he blissfully narrows his gaze, he believes it may make the remaining scar fade away.

He looks up when he senses his partner’s body twitching. He notices Shiki’s stoic facade slowly cracking, revealing his genuine emotions.

Who knew that the same man who introduced him to sex was so sensitive? That’s why, Akira is even more curious about what else he can discover tonight.

“Just stop wasting time on unnecessary nonsense and get straight to the business.” The dark-haired male demands.

Once again, Akira ignores such a request.

Besides, someone still needs to learn his lesson. The blue-eyed male reminds himself.

When his fingertips trace down to Shiki’s lower regions, he starts rubbing his groin.

While Akira teases his partner, he fixates his impatient, blushing gaze on him.

Perhaps Shiki keeps acting though and unaffected, but even through his leather pants, Akira feels how his partner’s body is more sincere than his face. And that hard-on is excellent proof.

Of course, he could continue satisfying his partner, but it would be better if he would beg to be relieved, right? Akira decides.

That’s why the blue-eyed male crawls closely to Shiki.

When he gently places his palms on Shiki’s cheeks, he gives him an asking look before pulling him into a deep kiss and closing his eyes.

Strangely, when Akira licks his partner’s lips and tries to get inside his mouth, he quickly receives permission.

Suddenly, the silver-haired swordsman widens his eyes and blissfully closes them when Shiki explores every little part inside him.

Meanwhile, the dark-haired male narrows his gaze and chuckles, relishing in the lovely sounds Akira makes in between catching their breath.

If it wasn’t for a tiny inconvenience like having his hands tied up, he would have Akira under his control and discipline him for provoking him. But it’s fine. He only needs to distract him for a bit longer. The red-eyed swordsman decides.

In the end, Akira withdraws his drunken face and stares at Shiki.

After he sits on top of Shiki, he looks for something in his pants pocket. Soon, he picks a small, flat, rustling square package.

“What’s that for?” The dark-haired man asks in a nearly purring voice.

For sure, his partner’s smug face makes Akira slightly frown.

“Why are you so happy? You’re not the one who will use it. So, be glad about it because I know that later on, you won’t let me clean you. Otherwise, I would fuck you raw until you scream.” The blue-eyed male explains.

Such a frightening threat makes Shiki snort. “Do you even know what you are holding?”

However, Akira doesn’t give in to this man’s provocation and replies. “We’ll see how long you can keep this attitude.”

Lastly, the silver-haired male bites into a condom, and after unzipping his t-shirt, he removes it while looking down on Shiki.

When Akira handles the current task, he unbuckles his belt and lowers his pants.

Of course, it would be more convenient for him to leave his partner’s side and undress. On the other hand, he finds it entertaining how Shiki struggles.

He only moves his arms like that because he is desperate to reach something he can’t, right? The silver-haired swordsman assumes while he removes the bothering piece of clothing.

After he tosses his pants on the floor, he takes the rustling tiny package from his mouth and looks at how to open it.

When he tears it in the middle without holding back, the condom flies into the air and lands on the red-eyed swordsman’s chest.

As Akira leans closer to pick it up, his blue eyes warn that if someone dares to say a single word, he’ll leave tied up for a long time.

But for now, his poker face changes into a slightly confused and frustrated one while he studies this item.

He even shakes it until it falls out like a small, loose, transparent intestine. Despite feeling Shiki’s entertained eyes on him, he doesn’t give in to this man’s intimidation.

“We’ll see how you act when I’ll shove it up your…” Akira murmurs while not understanding whether it is supposed to be like this.

In the end, Shiki closes his eyes and sighs. “Stop molesting that thing and put it down if you don’t know how to use it.”

Akira immediately responds in an indignant voice. “Shut up… Just when I almost figured out how to...”

Unfortunately, he realizes he chirped too much when it’s too late. And thus, he humbles down.

The ebony-haired swordsman rolls his eyes. “You are a clueless idiot.”

“No one taught us how to pick one or to use it. I only knew that it’s used for not impregnating anyone.” Akira honestly backfires.

“Hmph. So, in other words, you are not experienced?” Shiki asks.

As the blue-eyed male turns his head away, he confesses. “Thanks to some reckless fool who is under my foot, I am now. Otherwise, I wouldn’t. Because I have no interest in that or in other people.”

After Akira notices Shiki’s thrilled eyes, he asks. “Then what about you?”

At first, he gives a questioning look. Yet, a second later, he is alerted after spotting that his partner’s hand gracefully slips from the restraints.

After removing another one, he pushes Akira down on the bed and pins his hands.

These crimson glowing eyes and curved smile speak alone that he won’t be released from this feline’s grasp until he is satisfied.

When Shiki’s knee parts his partner’s legs until it touches his groin, the silver-haired swordsman only stares at him.

In the end, as he leans close, Akira admits his defeat.

Some time passed. It is the middle of the starry night.

Meanwhile, Akira lazily lies in bed and waits for his partner to return.

Apparently, this time Shiki grabbed his clothes and left him immediately instead of resting together for a bit longer or until he was asleep.

It’s not that they are a couple or anything. Nor that Shiki is obligated to take care of him after sex. Akira perfectly understands that, but he often wonders who are they for each other.

After all, it’s not just an ordinary rivalry or a ridiculous thing like a relationship with benefits.

Despite that, the blue-eyed male knows one thing for sure - he craves for Shiki’s touch.

It may be only his selfish thought, but for Akira, it’s an inseparable part after each encounter because he feels assured.

More so, it’s another way of showing what Shiki should be looking forward to before another match and fixating his attention just for him.

Nevertheless, the blue-eyed male is worried about his partner's abrupt departure and his own unconscious attempt to hold on to him, all while experiencing these irrational emotions.

Speaking of which, the sound of the opened bathroom door startles him. Despite that, his eyes follow the approaching red-eyed male.

After Shiki sits next to him, Akira looks for anything to put on. As he holds the pair of underwear and puts it on, addresses his partner without bothering to look at him. “You’re finally done? Then, I’m going.”

Lastly, after he picks up his clothes and gets up, he heads towards the bathroom.

After Akira turns the shower, he lets the warm water stream to wash him.

Of course, when he’ll return, there shouldn’t be any traces of Shiki left. It’s nothing unusual.

After all, none of them waste their breath to bid farewell before departing their ways. Besides, both know that eventually, their paths will cross again.

More importantly, they are neither friends nor lovers. So, there is no need for such an unnecessary thing.

On the other hand, it will be difficult for the blue-eyed swordsman to accept the fact that Shiki is already gone.

That’s right, Akira is secretly concerned that this reckless fool may risk his life again.

In the end, he grasps the small cross around his neck and stares at it.

Half an hour passed. After Akira leaves the bathroom, he is surprised to see Shiki still there. “What are you doing here?”

“Do you always take so long in the shower?” The dark-haired swordsman asks while he sits on the bed with his legs and arms closed.

“That is none of your concern. Besides, you didn’t need to wait for me if wanted to leave. Unless, you forgot something.” Akira backfires as he keeps his poker face and gets closer to his partner.

“You.” Shiki briefly replies.

Akira only raises his eyebrow. “Huh?”

For now, Shiki gives a satisfied look. “Pack whatever you need, and I’ll take you together with me.”

“What do you mean by that?” The silver-haired swordsman asks.

After Shiki stands up, he grasps Akira’s cross and confesses. “I want you to stay by my side.”

Of course, the blue-eyed male didn’t expect to hear these words, and now he feels how the warmth fills his heart.

But for now, he closes his eyes and exhales. When he opens his eyes, he replies. “Knowing you, I wouldn’t you leave you because who knows how you’ll end up next time.”

After a brief pause, he continues. “So, even if you tried to get rid of me, I would still follow you and won’t let anyone to lay a finger on you. You belong to me and no else, got it?”

These words thrill Shiki, and he wraps his arm around his partner’s waist and brings him closer.

When Akira rests his palms on the red-eyed male’s chests, he narrows his blushing gaze. “Don’t get me wrong. Next time when you’ll be ready to face me like equal and giving your best, we’ll fight without needing to hold back. So, until then, it cannot be helped that I would need to watch you over.”

In the end, none of them say a single word. After all, there is no need for that. Meanwhile, Akira is secretly happy and relieved that he will protect Shiki.