When the Fairy Tale Dies

Fmkitty

Title: When the Fairy Tale Dies

Fandom: Togainu no Chi

Characters: Shiki, Akira, Original Male Character

Pairing: Shiki x Akira, Akira & Original Male Character (one-sided)

Summary:

[This story was made as entry for September's month N+C Archive Monthly Prompt Challenge.]

Private Tatsuya never believed nor experienced what love is. However, that smile… If only he had never seen it, he wouldn’t need to suffer the heartache and realize it would be his doom when it would be too late.

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.

2023 September's writing prompt: "He wanted to tell him how much he loved him but"

Words: 2960

Another day, another daily morning checkup. That is just a part of the military secretary’s routine. Despite it being only an ordinary procedure, Akira treats it as a responsibility as the captain of his squad.

After all, no matter how big or small his task, he takes it seriously and carefully. Akira finds the greatest reward in not only preparing a proper report but also making the commander happy.

But for now, as he reads the next name on the list, he closes his eyes and frowns after he doesn’t receive an immediate answer.

“Tatsuya.” The silver-haired secretary repeats.

The rookie soldier gets startled, yet after he straightens his back, he responds in a confused voice. “Y-yes!”

“Haven’t you slept enough at home? Pay attention next time.” Akira reminds.

As soon as the entire squad either snorts or murmurs among themselves, it gets cut by the cold, piercing glare of the military secretary alone.

After he closes his eyes, he continues checking the list.

Meanwhile, the scolded brunette lowers his head, wondering how someone almost the same age as him, if not younger, is already acting like a cold, bitter old man who never lived a day as a human.

More so, he heard the rumors that even off his duties, Akira kept that strict, stoic posture and married his job.

He can't use his position to treat people badly or expect too much from new recruits. Tatsuya thinks while remembering his sore arms and back from the captain’s last punishment.

Apparently, last week, he was late for only five minutes.

Yet, the military secretary didn’t bother to listen to any excuses and made him stand outside the corridor holding a water bucket in each arm without lowering them.

One thing was enduring the weight, and another was being an entertainment for anyone who passed by.

The captain was a demon who enjoyed torturing anyone for the tiniest mistakes. Tatsuya was convinced. Soon, he completely changed his mind.

A few days ago, he was minding his own business until he accidentally saw Captain Akira carrying a pile of papers and stopping for a bit.

At first glance, it may look like nothing unusual. However, something caught the brunette’s eye.

When the secretary checked the documents, his stone-cold face changed by something that might be considered impossible and even out of the mortal realm.

Apparently, the silver-haired male softened his gaze and smiled when his fingers picked one of the papers without caring about anyone in the world.

Of course, Tatsuya was in awe by spotting that the captain was showing human emotions and realizing that he witnessed a miracle.

Unfortunately, such a sight lasted as long as a shooting star. Thus, when the blue-eyed male fixed the papers, he returned to the known preserved secretary.

Despite this moment being brief, it left a lasting impression on the rookie soldier, who couldn’t stop thinking about it and longed to see it again.

Back to the present. Some time passes, and it’s finally the afternoon.

Today, the brunette hopes he’ll break the ice between them and befriend the captain.

From what he heard, Akira should prepare and serve the afternoon’s tea and snacks around this time. If so, perhaps, if he is in a better mood, he might spare even a single minute of his precious time.

Of course, if they won’t miss each other, which would be a shame. After all, the brunette had to pay one of the soldiers to cover his back to skip the duties. Or so Tatsuya thinks to himself.

The blue-eyed secretary leaves the kitchen with the goods and goes to the commander's office, unaware of being followed.

A few minutes pass. Finally, it’s the moment of truth!

After the brunette fixes the collar of his shirt and takes a deep breath, he approaches his unsuspecting captain. “Captain. Um, there is something I need to talk about with you.”

Akira only glimpses at him before shooing him. “Did anything happen? Whatever it is, if that is not urgent, it can wait.”

Yet, the rookie soldier is more stubborn and doesn’t give up.

“Captain, that looks heavy. So, let me help you.” The brunette insists.

However, as he is about to take the tray, Akira stops and gracefully lifts it.

“No, thank you. I can handle it on my own.” The silver-haired secretary declines.

After he lowers his arms, he raises an eyebrow. “By the way, if I’m not mistaken, there is supposed to be a first aid course in the afternoon. So, what are you doing here?”

“Shit, that’s no good! I’m deep in trouble now. He’s going to ditch me for real. Mom, Dad, sorry for disappointing you.” Tatsuya bethinks when Akira narrows his gaze, judging him like a criminal and waiting for his explanation.

After a temporary pause, the secretary closes his eyes and sighs.

Lastly, he addresses Tatsuya. “I wouldn’t have arranged these courses if that was a waste of time. It’s a crucial skill that is mandatory to know because it will help you to survive. More importantly, instead of fleeing away and abandoning your team like a coward, you could save someone’s life and have a higher chance of defeating the enemy.”

The brunette only lowers his head like a scolded puppy. “Y-yes, sir… Then, I will be going!”. Despite convincing himself that he should be glad he paid off only getting lectured, he is more upset that his plan didn’t work.

Perhaps another day will be better. Tatsuya ponders while heading back to the auditorium. Right now, he takes it as a defeat in the fight but not in the battle and plans for another move.

Another day, another chance. This time, the brunette plans to wait as soon as his break starts and check if the captain is in his office.

Suddenly, the morning checkup is interrupted by someone opening the gate.

While Tatsuya is as perplexed as anyone else in his squad, he observes how Akira salutes the approaching commander without hesitation or fear, only showing pure respect for this man.

“I beg your pardon, sir. It’s a huge honor that you decided to pay a visit. But what brings you here?” The reserved secretary asks.

Perhaps the captain is numb or lucky not to feel Shiki’s lingering, menacing, cold energy. The brunette wonders.

“Do I ever needed any excuses to check on anyone?” The red-eyed male asks.

“No. Not all, sir,” Akira politely replies.

Lastly, the commander orders. “Good. Continue your work.”

Meanwhile, the brunette feels nervous about Shiki’s presence alone, and he can swear that the commander isn’t that focused on the captain, as he is waiting for any soldier to make a single wrong move or breath at the wrong time.

More so, he doesn’t understand how the military secretary acts as if the most powerful man in the country is not next to him.

Some time passed. Finally, it’s time for the break.

Who knew that the military tyrant was much scarier in person than he heard? In any case, his plan should go smoothly, and it was only a once-in-a-lifetime experience to encounter That Man. Tatsuya wonders as he shrugs at the thought of Shiki alone while wandering in the corridor.

Speaking of which...

Apparently, as he gets closer, he notices Akira leaning against the wall next to his office door while being cornered by Shiki, talking about something.

Soon enough, the military tyrant wraps his arm around his subordinate’s waist and brings him closer.

More so, the brunette cannot unsee the commander’s possessive eyes focusing on his prey while placing his palm on his cheek, nor how the captain is calm.

At this point, Tatsuya feels he is walking into the wrong place at the wrong time. Therefore, it might be wiser to turn back and withdraw.

When he turns his head, he notices Shiki is giving him a victorious glare as a giant feline who shows its conquered territory while the once-serious secretary closes his eyes and submits to the supreme ruler.

That fucking ugly bastard is using his power to take advantage of Akira! So, who knows how long the captain was enduring this? However, he cannot do much in his current position nor oppose the supreme leader without risking his and his family’s life. Tatsuya realizes as his rage grows.

Despite that, the brunette has a powerful urge to snap out of Akira and make him realize he needs someone better who would treasure him instead of bullying him. Someone who will protect him and keep him safe from the rest of the world.

And thus, a few days pass.

Perhaps the captain will change his mind and go out with him today. After all, it’s Friday, and it should be fine to relax by the end of the week. The brunette thinks to himself while following Akira from a distance.

For now, the unsuspecting military secretary’s eyes carefully scan through the bookshelves. As his fingers gently run through each book, his hand gracefully picks the wanted item.

However, the silver-haired male widens his eyes upon hearing a familiar voice behind him. “There have you been, captain. I was looking for you for a while.”

A second later, he closes his eyes and briefly exhales before facing a certain soldier.

“What you want?” Akira strictly asks.

“Um, I want to ask you one thing. You see… I was meaning to do it earlier, but I didn’t know how to say it and you seem to be always so busy…” Tatsuya replies while rubbing his nape and lowering his head.

“You can tell me whatever it is.” The silver-haired secretary replies.

As Tatsuya straightens his back, he clenches his hands into fists and announces. “Please, go out with me!”

When the blue-eyed secretary steps back, he raises his eyebrow and hugs the held books. “Huh?”

After noticing such a genial reaction, the brunette shakily raises his palms and defends himself. “I, I didn’t mean that way!… What I meant is… Well, not quite that but…”

While he observes the doubting secretary, he proposes. “You know, I thought maybe we could go out for a couple of drinks and have a good time. You’ve been so tensed and maybe that could help to forget about the job or the commander, even if that is for a moment.”

After hearing these words, even the preserved military secretary’s poker face slightly cracks and frowns. Yet, he does his best to contain his emotions and holds back from the violence.

When Akira closes his eyes and lifts his head, he walks by the pesky soldier. “If you have nothing to say and are planning to waste my time, I’m leaving.”

Suddenly, Akira widens his eyes and stops as someone grabs his arm.

“Wait! I… I didn’t mean to upset you. All I want is to help you because… because I care about you, -er, I mean your well-being.” The brunette confesses while giving a begging gaze.

The silver-haired male only narrows his gaze and immediately brushes his arm. “Let me go.”

When he reaches the exit door and places his hand on the handle, it freezes after hearing Tatsuya’s comment. “I know that the commander harasses you. I saw it several times.”

For sure, it makes Akira’s heart drop down on his heels, and his stomach twists. Despite that, he turns back and keeps a serious face.

Meanwhile, the brunette gives a concerned look. “You don’t need to pretend that you have the feelings for that twisted bastard or endure it. I don’t like how someone touches you. That coward is using his power and taking advantage of your naiveness. It’s not alright. Just because the commander sees you as his personal whore, you don’t have to pretend to be one. But I’m here for you and to support you because, because I…”

He wanted to tell him how much he loved him, but… if only it was that simple.

Firstly, Tatsuya understands that both of them have different positions of power. After all, he is just a private soldier, and Akira is the right hand of the most powerful man in the country.

Therefore, it’s understandable if the secretary won’t want to ruin his reputation by messing around with a low-rank soldier like him.

Secondly, what if the blue-eyed male’s heart is taken by someone else? There is a chance that his precious captain doesn’t feel the same.

More importantly, what if Akira was disgusted by something weird and gross as another guy confessing his feelings to him?

But for now, Akira only gives a questioning look and approaches him.

On the other hand, it seems that luck is on the brunette’s side.

Perhaps his words reached his adored person’s heart. Or so Tatsuya believes when the military secretary silently stares at him and extends his palm to touch his cheek. “…Captain.”

Suddenly, the harsh sound of slapping echoes through the entire library.

While the brunette remains shocked, Akira gives him a cold shoulder. “Keep your foul thoughts to yourself. This time, I’ll let you go with a warning. However, if such behavior repeats in the future, the outcome will be different. Please, think twice before opening your mouth.”

In the end, Private Tatsuya is left alone with a pulsing sensation of the stinging pain on his cheek and betrayal. Nevertheless, it only makes him desire Akira much more.

After all, the captain is brainwashed and manipulated by the commander. Yet, the blue-eyed male did this to protect him, didn’t he?

Therefore, he must free Akira from that twisted man’s claws and make him realize what is good for him. Soon, Commander Shiki should face his downfall and pay for what he has done. Or so the brunette realizes while scheming how to achieve his plan.

It’s the beginning of another week. This time, the brunette uses his chance when Akira has an important meeting with the commander and other high-ranking officers.

That’s why, when no one is around, Tatsuya picks a small flathead screwdriver and a thin nail file and begins to break the locked office door.

Of course, he has to work carefully, but fast. Otherwise, he’ll get caught in the same spot.

Gladly, it’s not a complicated lock compared to what he had picked in his childhood. Or so the brunette thinks as, eventually, he hears the cracking noise.

And thus, without wasting time, he enters the commander’s office.

For now, all he left is to wait until Shiki shows up to strike him.

So, it’s only a matter of time before the captain will be rescued and safe from that awful man. Or so Tatsuya convinces to himself as he takes the combat knife from the side of his belt and stares at the naked blade.

Some time passed. Suddenly, the brunette is alerted by the opening door.

Despite having a loud heartbeat, he takes a deep breath and grasps the knife.

One sudden move and the blade sinks into his enemy.

However, Tatsuya becomes pale and freezes in terror upon hearing a yelp and barely comprehends what he has done.

While Akira’s face twists in pain, he shakily places his gloved palm around the stabbed shoulder. “Co… commander… run! It’s… it’s a trap…”

Just before the military secretary collapses, Shiki manages to wrap his arms from behind and slowly sits Akira against the wall.

Soon enough, the commander’s face darkens, and lowers his head. After he stands up, he turns around and pulls the sword from the sheath.

At that moment, the rookie soldier shakes his head while muttering and stepping back.

Even if he tripped over, he desperately crawls backward, begging for forgiveness, and without removing his eyes from Shiki, who radiates a pure fury and hatred for his opponent.

“That’s your last words, you filthy trash?” The red-eyed male growls.

However, just before Shiki swings the blade and slays the terrified soldier, he is stopped by his secretary’s voice. “Not yet, sir!”

The supreme ruler turns his gaze at his secretary.

But for now, he listens to his wounded subordinate, who remains professional even in situations like this. “You can do whatever you please with that traitor, sir. However… however, first, I need to know how… how did he get here… Or… or if someone else helped him.”

Yet, instead of wasting time on unnecessary sentiments, Shiki cracks a smile and fixates his attention on the brunette.

Now, he aims at the same hand that hurt his precious secretary and cuts it.

As Tatsuya screams, he covers the lost limb and pleads for mercy.

Meanwhile, Shiki remains indifferent to the brunette’s suffering and looks down on him. “Pathetic. A worm like you don’t even deserve to die.”

A second later, he curves a sadistic smile. “…Not yet.”

When the military tyrant proudly turns around, he walks toward the injured secretary to pick him up. And thus, Tatsuya is left alone.

Eventually, a group of officers shows up. As the brunette’s cut arm gets aided, he listens to how one of these men briefly informs him about his incoming punishment tomorrow and how he’ll need to answer a few questions for the supreme ruler.

In the end, Tatsuya remains silent and closes his eyes as he gets lifted and dragged to the interrogation room. At that moment, he realizes that his death is inevitable and he should accept it.

After all, Tatsuya was so blinded by the rage and bloodlust that he didn’t realize he’d end up harming the person he swore to protect. Therefore, that’s his price to pay before reaching the gateway to hell. Or so the brunette wonders as he gets closer and closer, reaching the interrogation room.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fmkitty

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic