I'll Come During the Restless Night

Fmkitty

Title: I'll Come During the Restless Night
Fandom: Togainu no Chi
Pairing: Shiki x Akira
Characters: Shiki, Akira
Rating: +13 (not sure if you can count this as romance, tho. Mentions of nightmares, Suggestive themes.)
Summary: [This story was made as entry for September's month Aarinfantasy Writing Challenge.]
Tonight, the supreme ruler's loyal secretary is struggling to fall asleep. However, he still naively hopes that skipping a good night sleep shouldn't do any harm to anyone if the commander is not aware of it.
However, the very little he knows that he is being monitored by Shiki all this time.

[Originally started 2022-09-08 and finished on 2022-09-13]

Chapter 1.

It is another morning in the Shiki’s mansion. However, for someone, it isn’t so peaceful.

The silver-haired secretary is trapped in his precious commander’s embrace again. No matter how Akira wants to get up and prepare for the new day, he refuses to wake up Shiki.

Besides, during his last attempt to escape, he learned the hard way that it ends with a failure, no matter what he may do.

For example, he was sure that the commander was deeply asleep. So, no matter how quietly and without too much struggle, Akira attempted to leave. Yet, he was alerted when he suddenly felt how the pair of arms wrapped around him and caught him. And thus, once he was pressed against the dark-haired man’s chest, he knew he couldn’t leave. Or at least until Shiki wakes up.

Even to this day, he cannot understand whether the commander acts like this to tease him or if it is unconscious behavior to reach for him during his slumber. However, even when Shiki is half awake, he remains silent and keeps his secretary close to him for a bit longer. Therefore, even after Akira politely asks permission to leave, it ends with the opposite effect.

On the other hand, the silver-haired man can rest assured that the commander is safe by his side. More so, there is something special and calming by hearing the Shiki’s breathing and heartbeat. Along this, the commander’s scent helps Akira to relax until he falls asleep.

Another thing that he notices is that when he spends a night together in the mansion, he isn’t bothered by nightmares or strange dreams at all. In the end, staying in bed for a longer time during the morning is a small price to pay for waking up with new strengths and full of energy.

Perhaps, getting used to getting up early can be nice because of being able to enjoy and cherish little moments like this. But for now, the silver-haired secretary observes the slumbering Shiki. Without realizing it, his hand almost reaches to stroke the commander’s cheek.

Yet, he holds back and decides not to disturb this serene moment. When Akira slowly closes his eyes and exhales, he patiently waits until Shiki awakens.

Even so, there are nights when the blue-eyed secretary sleeps alone. He convinced himself that it was wrong to use the commander’s kindness too often and rely on him to rest until the morning.

Perhaps, it’s only a coincidence that when Akira stays overnight in the supreme ruler’s mansion, he never has to worry about seeing the same nightmares which haunt him. Or so, he believes.

Tonight is one of the nights when he sleeps alone in his home. By far, the secretary doesn’t have any issues aside from rolling on sides for a long time before finally falling asleep.

Unfortunately, such a blissful time doesn’t last long. After a while, Akira’s face twitches, and soon enough, letting out silent groans and whimpers. More so, he unconsciously hides under the blanket.

That’s right, he has another one of those dreams about the past. No matter where he goes or what he touches - everything is dyed in red and filled with agonizing screams. Of course, he has used to seeing the corpses or punishing anyone who stands in the commander’s way. Even a pathetic begging to be spared, nor the enemy’s shown fear and despair, doesn’t affect the silver-haired secretary.

However, in the current dream, it’s not the weapons or torture devices that are killing people. It’s his cursed blood, which takes lives away in the most disturbingly and slowest way. Countless faceless rabid men die one after another one when they approach him. All Akira does is protect himself, yet, he is being accused of being a mistake by god, a freak, who is to blame for this massacre.

Eventually, he is outnumbered, and one of these people grabs him by the throat and chokes him. In the end, just as a familiar voice speaks to him and threatens him, Akira is about to notice the detailed face in front of him.

Suddenly, the secretary sits on the bed and loudly gasps. As Akira deeply breathes, he places his hand on the bloating chest ‘‘It’s just a dream…’’. When his breathing slowly calms down, he can still feel his strong heartbeat against his palm. ‘‘Each time it ends in the same way…’’ he whispers while lowering his head.

After he nervously swallows the saliva and his eyes are wide open, he turns to the night table and turns on the night lamp.

Even when he notices that it’s not even midnight, it makes the blue-eyed man close his eyes and shakily frown. Yet, he naively believes that he still has time to return to sleep. And thus, after dimming the warm orange light, he rolls to the side.

Although, the howling wind outside refuses to let Akira rest. Even if all the windows are closed, he can still hear how it violently rustles the leaves and breaks the branches. If it was an ordinary evening, he would have instantly crashed out and rested until the morning. But for now, even the slightest noise irritates and triggers him.

Perhaps, a warm drink should help him calm down. Or so, Akira decides as he lazily gets up and leaves.

Some time passes after aimless attempts to return to slumber. Before wrapping himself under the blankets, Akira checks the time - at least he has a couple of hours left before he needs to wake up. In the end, Akira falls asleep, but, unfortunately, the alarm clock wakes him up.

As soon as the silver-haired secretary forces himself to leave the bed, he walks towards the bathroom while having a terrible headache and over-sensitive eyes to even the mildest light source. It's not even the beginning of the day, and he is already frustrated with how slow and clumsy he is during the morning routine.

However, he refuses to contact the commander to ask for his mercy to rest for today. Even if the secretary can feel every bone in his body and how it might crack after one reckless move, Akira feels awful just from the thought that his laziness is a poor excuse to slack off and may disappoint Shiki.

And thus, while ignoring his breaking body, Akira prepares for the new day.

As the day passes, the blue-eyed secretary is relieved that he can continue his duties as if nothing happened.

However, his biggest concern is facing the commander. In such an awful state, he can barely concentrate or pay attention to his surroundings. The poor secretary is nauseous and wishes to smash his head because that might save him from the terrible headache and constant beeping inside his head.

Like never in his life, Akira desires nothing more than to hide and be happy after having a couple of minutes of a nap. At this point, where and when is not important. As long as no one finds him, it shouldn’t matter.

Although, he is surprised that Shiki has told nothing to him, only narrowed his gaze after noticing the dark circles under his eyes or trying his best to keep a straight posture. Most importantly, Akira does not know that the commander keeps an eye on him and waits for one wrong move to corner him until he gets the answers.

It’s an early afternoon, and the blue-eyed secretary is relieved to be awake.

‘Right now, it should be easy to survive until the end of the day and take a rest before the commander even noticed anything.’ Or so, Akira convinces himself while heading towards the office and carrying the reports. For now, he saves his remaining strength for this moment.

After taking a deep breath, the exhausted secretary knocks on the wooden door ‘‘Sir, it’s me. I have brought the reports that you asked for. Can I come in, please?’’. As soon as he receives permission, he opens the door and enters.

When Akira closes the door behind him, he politely nods ‘‘Did you call me, sir?’’.

However, instead of answering, the supreme ruler glares at his loyal subordinate with his crimson eyes while resting his chin on his hands.

For sure, Akira can sense how Shiki strips him naked until he has nothing to hide just by that piercing gaze alone. More so, the moment their eyes met, the intimidated secretary feels how the commander tries to read his every thought.

Despite that, Akira stays in the same spot while holding the papers close to him and asks ‘‘Did I do anything wrong? I’m sorry if I upset you, sir.’’.

Suddenly, he can feel being short of breath, and his head spinning like crazy. Even when Shiki is approaching him, Akira can barely stand anymore. While his lips and hands are trembling, the silver-haired secretary’s vision darkens.

In the end, he lets out the last gasp and collapses. Fortunately, Shiki’s reaction is quicker, and Akira falls into his arms. While the secretary rests his head against his chest, he silently stares at his passed-out subordinate.

Instead of wasting time thinking that Shiki was right and that his most loyal secretary tried not to worry him by hiding his problems from him again, the red-eyed man carefully lowers Akira until he lies on the floor.

After kneeling and placing one hand under the secretary’s shoulders and the other one under the tights, Shiki stands up. Lastly, as he ignores the scattered documents on the floor, he checks that Akira won’t fall off his arms. And thus, he leaves the office while carrying his adored subordinate like a wounded princess.

Some time passes. Finally, Akira shakily opens his eyes while silently groaning. After sitting in bed, he realizes he isn’t in the office anymore but in the familiar bedroom. Secondly, he notices that instead of his uniform, he wears light gray pajamas.

More so, Shiki is sitting on the bed edge next to him, and judging from his loosened uniform, Akira can tell that he returned not so long time ago.

Perhaps, he only dozen out for a couple of hours. But why did the commander go through the trouble of changing him into these clothes? He could leave him like before his body gave up on him. Or so, the secretary wonders.

While Akira gives a demanding gaze, he asks ‘‘How long did I pass out? And could you return my clothes? I need to return to the office and finish the work! I promise I won’t take too long.’’.

When he is about to leave the bed, he is pushed back on the bed by Shiki’s hand.

‘‘S-sir?’’ The silver-haired secretary dumbfounded looks at the commander, who corners him with one arm.

When Shiki cracks a smile, he replies ‘‘In the middle of the night? Do you have any idea how long you have slept?’’. As he observes how his subordinate tries to figure it out, he adds ‘‘Not only the previous night but more than this entire day. Care to explain what is going on? Or do you prefer that I’ll get the answers out of you?’’.

After turning his head from the commander, Akira briefly answers ‘‘It’s nothing important. I was slightly more tired than usual. That’s it.’’.

‘‘To that case, it was impossible to wake you up? Anyone could screw you up and take an advantage of you, and you won’t be aware of it.’’ Or so, Shiki back-fires while fixating his gaze on the exposed silver cross and his subordinate.

Of course, after these words, the blue-eyed secretary cannot face the man in front of him any longer because he felt guilty.

However, such behavior doesn’t satisfy the supreme ruler. After he leans closer, his other hand holds Akira’s chin and makes him face him. As their eyes meet Shiki narrows his gaze ‘‘Look at me when I talk to you. Or are you afraid?’’.

Despite being in such a position, the cornered secretary doesn’t give in to the intimidation. Lastly, he confesses while keeping a calm yet stubborn gaze ‘‘I couldn’t sleep for the whole night. However, I didn’t want to wake you up just to trouble you and let you down by asking for a day off. So, I decided to endure it before you notice and worry for no reason.’’.

After sitting up and giving Akira more personal space, the dark-haired man continues ‘‘Hmph. Tomorrow, I’ll take you where you need to carry out the important task, which only you can do it. Before that, you are not allowed to leave until you are fully rested. Any objections?’’.

Even if Akira has no clue what awaits him tomorrow, he knows he cannot disappoint the commander. Lastly, the secretary gives a comforting smile and replies ‘‘Yes. I understand! Then, I’ll give no less than my best.’’.

In the end, Shiki gives the last command while he undresses and changes into the pajama ‘‘To sleep. And to make sure that you do not fail, I will need to monitor you.’’. For sure, Akira has already prepared himself for another morning routine. On the other hand, he can also make sure that the commander can rest well.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fmkitty

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 2.

After a long slumber, the silver-haired secretary is waking up. However, there is something off. He isn’t sure whether or not he is still dreaming. That’s right, someone holds his hand, and he cannot lower it or move.

When Akira turns his head and opens his eyes, he notices the commander sitting next to him. Even from the worn white shirt alone, he can tell that Shiki also woke up recently.

“Sir, what are you doing here?” The blue-eyed secretary asks as he stares at Shiki, who holds his wrist.

However, instead of saying anything, the red-eyed man places his hand behind his subordinate’s back and brings Akira close to him.

Even if their bodies almost touch, the secretary’s kept poker-face cracks, and he widens his eyes at such an unexpected move. Yet, he remains calm even after Shiki wraps his arm around his waist.

But for now, Akira convinces himself that before misunderstanding Shiki’s behavior, he has to act as professionally as possible. On the other hand, he doesn’t want to be scolded for being “too formal” in an informal environment.

Therefore, he needs to find quickly the balance between being no less than a perfect subordinate to serve the most powerful man in Japan and allowing himself to loosen his guard for a second without feeling bad for it.

Meanwhile, the silver-haired secretary feels the commander’s eyes on him like the red-eyed feline patiently studying his target’s behavior. He can even see an invisible black tail slowly hitting the bed sheet.

In the end, Akira makes his decision. After closing his eyes, he places his hands on Shiki’s chest and pushes him away ‘‘I beg your pardon, but there is no time for that, and I’m sorry for making you wait, sir. So, let me get up and prepare for the mission.’’.

Surprisingly, the commander doesn’t object or say anything. As he silently observes how his subordinate leaves the bed and rushes to prepare for the day, he cracks a satisfied smile.

Perhaps, his secretary still needs more discipline in some areas. But fine. It’s better this way because it wouldn’t be interesting only having a mindlessly following orders servant who has no will. Or so, Shiki thinks to himself.

Some time passed. Finally, they arrived at the destination place. When the commander meant it was an important mission, which only his subordinate could handle, Akira hadn’t expected this kind of task. If that can be called even serious or challenging at all.

That’s right, today, Shiki decided to take him to the sauna, which he rented for an entire day. For sure, that isn’t necessary. Or so, the blue-eyed secretary thinks, yet he doesn’t object and plays along with the commander’s rules.

After entering the locker room, Akira begins to undress. However, it’s not as easy as it sounds when he can feel how Shiki observes him and focuses on his chest and neck area.

Of course, he doesn’t want to sound too immature and impolite for asking the commander to mind his business and not to stare. Instead, the secretary asks while giving a slightly shy look ‘‘Is there anything wrong, sir?’’.

Meanwhile, the ebony-haired man only remarks with a delighted smile on his face ‘‘You never take this off, do you?’’.

At first, Akira has no clue what Shiki means by this. Yet, when he realizes that the commander’s eyes are fixating on the silver cross resting against his chest, he gently grasps it while staring at it with such affection ‘‘Of course, I wear it even in the shower or when I sleep. This cross is the most precious gift I could ever receive. More importantly, it’s not just given by any stranger, but from you. That’s why I take care of it and hold it close to my heart.’’.

After hearing these words, the commander closes his eyes while resting his head on his chin. Even someone as fearsome and intimidating as Shiki turns his head to hide the unexpected rising heat in his cheeks. Lastly, he addresses his loyal secretary ‘‘Hmph. Once you are done, don’t forget to put on the towel.’’.

It is one of the rare times when Akira can see the commander showing such a side. More so, even to this day, he feels privileged and honored to be the only person who is allowed to see Shiki’s expressions, which aren’t shown in public or to anyone else. In the end, the secretary nods while secretly cherishing the discovery ‘‘Yes!’’.

Finally, they entered the sauna room. This place perfectly imitates an old, traditional sauna before the Civil War. The walls, floor, and three-step platforms are made from the finest wood, and the wall lamps create a warm and relaxing atmosphere. Lastly, there is a furnace with hot stones in the corner and protected by a wooden fence.

‘For sure, who could even find it relaxing to stay in such a high heat only just to sit and sweat? More importantly, being surrounded by other people while barely being covered by a wrapped small towel.’ Or so, Akira wonders and tries to figure out whether his heard rumors are false. Yet, his further thoughts are interrupted once he feels the Shiki’s hand on his lower back prompt him to go.

After sitting next to the commander, the silver-haired secretary straightens his back and keeps his legs close.

Soon enough, he softens his gaze as he cannot remove his eyes from the scars on the pale Shiki’s skin. The more he stares at them, the more Akira feels how his heart is clenched and how each scar aches like his own. Yet, it’s nowhere close to that sense of guilt that he failed to protect his most important person.

Just as he is about to reach out to one of these scars and touch it, he stops upon hearing Shiki’s voice and feeling how his wrist is held ‘‘What were you thinking of doing? If you make a pitiful face, you can never relax.’’.

As the silver-haired man withdraws his palm, he lowers his gaze ‘‘I’m sorry for my behavior. More importantly, I failed to protect you, sir.’’. After a brief pause, he continues to confess ‘‘You got these wounds when I wasn’t by your side and needed me the most.’’.

For sure, seeing how his loyal subordinate gives him scolded puppy eyes and lowers his invisible tail and ears is not a pleasant view for the commander, nor he wishes Akira to worry about so-called petite details again. Therefore, he has to take matters into his hands quickly.

After crossing his arms and legs, Shiki replies ‘‘Hmph. So, this is what is on your head. You worry too much about something that happened even before meeting you. That’s why you shouldn’t blame yourself for something that isn’t in your power.’’.

‘‘Could it be?… Does it have anything to do with That Man, sir?’’ Akira asks while hoping not to trigger his adored commander’s anger by mentioning a certain name. When he lowers his gaze and, a second later, lifts his gaze and continues ‘‘If I could just heal these scars…’’.

Finally, Shiki pushes Akira to lie on his stomach ‘‘I’ll make sure that you won’t have unnecessary concerns and thoughts. Just lie like this until I return.’’.

Of course, the secretary is confused. Yet, like before, he has faith in the commander and entrusts himself with no doubt. When he makes himself comfortable, he observes how the dark-haired man pours the hot water on the heated stones.

As the steam fills the room, the dark-haired man soaks the birch and herbal rod and briefly shakes it in the air.

After Shiki approaches his subordinate, he rests his hand on the platform while addressing Akira ‘‘Close your eyes and do not think about anything else.’’. Without a doubt, the silver-haired man closes his eyes and leaves the rest in the commander’s hands.

Suddenly, Akira lets out a brief gasp as the countless wet, hot leaves hit his lower back. Soon enough, he can feel how it begins to flog it again and move up to his back and shoulders.

However, he doesn’t mind being whipped by Shiki in such a way. Contrary, he finds it quite more enjoyable than he thought. The rhythmic movement up and down his body and the herbal scent - help the secretary relax.

More importantly, Akira can sense how his muscles slowly start to feel less stiff and how the tension loosens.

After a while, the commander rolls his body until he lies on the back. Yet, the secretary doesn’t resist at all and allows him to be moved around.

While Akira receives the same treatment from the front side, he even forgets about the formalities or any need to remain professional.

When the commander finishes flogging his secretary, he sits next to him and puts the birch rod away.

Only observing how his subordinate is relaxed and blissfully stares at him satisfies Shiki. After all, someone who always keeps his guard and is self-aware even off-duties finally exposes his most vulnerable parts as his chest and belly, as if saying that he trusts to let touch or even stroke them.

Yet, Akira manages to surprise him at the very least moment he expects by speaking up in almost a purring-like voice ‘‘Shiki…’’.

Certainly, hearing how his precious secretary calls him by the name feels like the most rewarding experience and achievement for the supreme ruler.

More so, maybe Akira has no clue how a single word said in the right tone can hold enormous power that can wrap the commander around his finger. But it’s fine. For now, Shiki encourages his secretary by rewarding him in the way he can hear his name along with other lovely made sounds.

Of course, the silver-haired secretary widens his eyes as the commander rolls him on the stomach ‘‘Co-commander?’’.

‘‘So, you are back at it again? It can’t be helped. I need to use more effective measures to make you forget about your duties and responsibilities.’’. Or so, Shiki addresses his subordinate as he places his hands on Akira’s lower back.

As soon as he begins to rub and massage the secretary’s lower back in upside-down movement, he enjoys hearing these silent, sweet groans, which Akira tries to suppress.

More so, the commander puts not too much nor too less pressure on him. That’s right, it’s a perfect amount, and almost as if Shiki knows his body better than himself.

After his hands move higher and put more pressure on the stiff back and shoulders, all Akira can do is close his eyes and stop caring about making these purring-like noises. He doesn’t care if he is selfishly indulging himself by allowing Shiki to massage him in these circular and upside-down movements.

In the end, the secretary surrenders by becoming nothing more than clay carefully formed by the commander’s hands in any way he wants. Perhaps, that is why he is brought here - to give him a new shape and reborn as a new being. Or is he overthinking again, and the red-eyed man does this for his entertainment?

Finally, Akira allows himself to relax as he continues to be kneaded and formed by Shiki. Despite that, the secretary notes to himself when they come back, to start thinking about how to repay the commander for today’s trip. And thus, as he plans, he falls asleep without even realizing it.

Some time passes, and the silver-haired secretary shows the first signs of regaining consciousness. Once again, he woke up in the familiar bedroom and dressed in pajamas. 

After sitting and looking around, Akira notices that Shiki sits next to him. Yet, this time, the commander is dozing.

‘Did he got tired by waiting for me? At least he could have put something warm around his shoulders and not freeze like this. Or do I need to do it for him?’. Or so, the blue-eyed man wonders as he stares at the commander, who only wears his pajamas.

When he sits closer to Shiki and leans to wake him up, Akira realizes he has made a fatal mistake.

Suddenly, he is surprised when a pair of arms pull him into a tight hug. As his head rests against the commander’s chest, Akira only deeply exhales and doesn’t resist. Besides, he should have expected this from Shiki. That’s why it’s only him to blame for falling for this big feline’s set-up trap.

Yet, he lifts his head when he hears the commander’s words ‘‘What’s wrong? Aren’t you going to struggle again?’’.

‘‘Why? You won’t let me go. So, I have no choice but to wait as long as I need to.’’ The secretary replies.

As Shiki cracks a smile, he backfires in a teasing tone ‘‘You are already getting used to your new routine, aren’t you?’’.

‘‘What do you mean by that, sir?’’. Or so, Akira genially asks.

Lastly, the red-eyed man declares ‘‘Since you cannot sleep alone, you will stay with me permanently. Tomorrow, I’ll send the workers to move all your belongings here. Any objections?’’.

Of course, the secretary is not in a position to oppose. Yet, even without giving orders, Akira would have asked for this eventually because of wanting to stay closer and protect the commander.

In the end, he only silently nods while accepting his new routine.