Crossroads (Private with Squeezebabe)

StainedCrimson

Harsh breathing echos through the woods as a figure races through them. The figure running has an air of something other about them, perhaps due to the silver hair flying behind them pulling loose from its ponytail or perhaps the glowing skin that's beaded with sweat and pinched in pain as they run. Glancing behind him the figure looks around for something before pausing at the edge of a cliff. "It has to be here somewhere near by..." *The figure mutters between pants before spotting the road and rushes to it to follow it.

If one looked ahead or knew the area they would realize that what the figure was running towards was the crossroad where an inn was located. Unknown to most, most humans that is, the inn was a safehaven for a certain kind of being. Beings that most humans never realize are there though there are legends of them of course from the time when they existed along side humans. These beings are the Fae and the figure rushing toward the inn was one of them in the hopes of finding a place to heal from his wounds caused by what's chasing him.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StainedCrimson

• SqueezeBabe

His eyes slowly came open. It was still dark, but he could hear the movement and the sounds coming from the kitchen. He yawned. Was it time to get up already? He slowly propped himself up in the bed, a lock of dark red hair falling over his eyes which he pushed back with another yawn. Running an inn on his own was hard work; but he wasn't entirely alone as the sounds in the kitchen would testify. He could smell bread baking and he smiled to himself as he eased himself out of the bed, reaching for his clothes that were folded neatly on his nightstand. Whilst his kitchen was busy, he'd go and check on the animals in the barn.

He walked down the stairs, taking care to tread heavily, the wood creaking beneath his feet. His quarters were at the back of the inn, accessible through the kitchen only. He paused in front of the door to the kitchen, yawning loudly and listened as the sounds in the kitchen abruptly stopped. He wiped the smile off his face, replacing it with an expression of being tired and half-asleep as he opened the door. The kitchen was clean and empty, the only signs of anyone ever being in it recently was the bread baking in the oven. He pretended to not notice the sound of scurrying, instead exclaiming loudly about rats and vermin. He walked over to the cold box in the corner, and pulled out a glass bottle of milk, and went over to a bowl in the corner of the kitchen, filling it. "Here puss!" he called out half-heartedly, knowing that there really wasn't any cats in the inn. He put the bottle back in the cool box and walked out of the kitchen, and smiled to himself once more as out of the corner off his eye he spotted a little brown figure make a dash for the bowl. He pretended not to notice, whistling tunelessly to himself as he walked through the inn, opening the windows and the double doors at the front.

He stepped out into the pre-dawn morning, breathing in the cool air as he walked over to the barn to check on the animals. He opened the barn doors and greeted his animals cheerfully as he fed and watered them, collected the eggs, and milked the cow. By the time he had finished, the sun was peeking over the horizon, staining the air with the pale colours of dawn. He took his bounty back inside the inn and into the kitchen. The bowl of milk in the corner was empty, and the bread that was baking earlier was now on the bench cooling. He heard knocking at the doors of the inn, and put everything down and went to answer.

"Steph, hurry up and open the damn door!"

"I'm coming! Gimmie a minute!" he called out as he hurried through the common room to open the doors, grinning at the man on the otherside. "Glad you managed to get your sorry butt out of bed this early Damon" he teased. The two continued trading good natured insults as they walked back inside.

Just as the sun starts to rise over the horizon and the inn comes into view, Yuzuki stumbles as a leg gives out. "Damned legs! How does anyone get anywhere or anything done with them!" He growls glaring at them before a coughing takes him. His hand has blood on it which doesn't come as a surprise due to the multitude of wounds on his body. With a low growl that sounds more like a hiss he pushes himself back up to make it to the inn.

As he's almost to the inn the sounds of what is chasing him start to be heard in the woods. Stumbling, this time out of fear as well as pain, he glances back paling further. To the point he's almost translucent. "No... No they can't have caught up with me already." The howls and soul freezing sounds of the hunting party echo throughout the woods just as he leaves them. Seeing the back of the inn he rushes towards it but stumbles and falls as an arrow pierces his calf. With a cry of agony he falls. Trebling he sets his jaw with grim determination and drags himself to the door as his vision fades. "Not now... Not when I'm so close..." His voice fades along with his vision while his hand falls that was outstretched towards the door no more than a few more feet away. As his hand hits the ground the world has already gone black as he falls unconscious.

He and Damon were in the kitchen, discussing the day's menu when they both froze a the sounds from outside the inn. Damon smiled easily at him, "Stay here Steph, I'll go check on what's happening outside". He was more than happy to let Damon investigate, the man was taller than him, slightly broader and was much stronger than he looked. "Sure" he replied, "Just call out if you need any help..." He wasn't helpless either, but the inn sometimes attracted a strange sort of attention and it was sometimes best he didn't get involved.

Damon pushed him in the direction of the common-room, "Wait out there just in case" he said, and hurried back through the kitchen to the "back" door. It was really the tradesmans door, to save them from disturbing the guests, not to mention that from this door, it was easier to get things into the kitchen and the storerooms, and as it was, it was at the back of the inn, away from the road. The inn itself was situated at a cross-roads, but backed onto the forest, and the sounds they had heard indicated that a large group was travelling through the forest at speed. Damon removed the heavy bar that lay across the door that prevented it from being opened, pulling the heavy door towards him.

Damon's eyes widened slightly as he saw the unconscious figure lying just a few steps away from the door. He took in the silver hair, the arrow sticking out, and the multiple wounds. He swore softly under his breath and moved quickly, cradling the stranger in his arms and lifting him. "Come now, you can't be dying here... I need you to wake up for just a little moment" he tapped the strangers cheek, trying to get him to gain consciousness, aware that the sounds were drawing closer. "You've made it this far, now all you have to do is say the words..."

Cross-roads signified sanctuary for those who knew about such things. It was an old magic, one who's origins were lost in the mists of time. There weren't very many true cross-roads left, the inn being one of the last in the area. If one claimed sanctuary from such a place, then they were safe from all harm, but in return they had to give up something precious to themselves, be it an object or a secret. Humans had long ago lost the knowledge about such places, but the knowledge was still in the minds of creatures like himself and the one he was holding. Damon wasn't sure if the stranger had come here because he knew what this place really was, or if it was just because this was the closest place he could hide from whatever was chasing him. He shook the stranger a little harder, "C'mon! Wake up!" He chewed his lip, and looked about to make sure that they were out of earshot. His voice dropped low, and his eyes glowed a golden colour, a strange aura surrounding him and the words he spoke weren't in any human language, flowing from his tongue and sounding like the chiming of silver bells "Do you claim sanctuary?!

Yuzuki is drifting on the comforting embrace of darkness that shields him from his physical pain when a voice starts to disturb it. Eventually it pulls him back to awareness, especially when the voice speaks in his language and says the word he's been searching for. Fighting the veil of unconscious he manages to open his eyes which are like dark living emeralds that have glowing flecks of gold in them. In a soft but strong voice he manages to respond in the same language. Yes. Sanctuary. I... Seek sanctuary. Please, will you grant me sanctuary? On the last word his gaze goes unfocused as he is reclaimed by the darkness.

Just as Yuzuki goes limp from falling unconscious again, a figure steps out of the woods. A party is behind him that contains mostly humans with a few Fae in it. The figure who steps forward is of mixed blood, part Fae and part human. "That man is my prey and prize. It is my right to claim and collect him. I will be taking him now." He steps forward to collect Yuzuki's unconscious body as it lays defenseless in Damon's arms.

The stranger roused sufficiently enough to say the words Damon had been waiting for. As the words left his lips, they seemingly hung in the air for a moment, and then Damon felt the thump of power. It wouldn't matter who or what came from the stranger now, he would never be able to leave until payment was made. Damon breathed a sigh of relief, there would be plenty of time to explain the situation to the stranger after he'd recovered from his injuries.

There was a rustling from the edge of the forest and another stranger stepped into view. Damon eyed him suspiciously for a moment. "That man is my prey and prize. It is my right to claim and collect him. I will be taking him now." Damon chuckled, "You're welcome to try" he said, but I'll think you'll find that the prey you're looking for is no longer here." He felt the soft whisper of ancient magic, the man had claimed sanctuary, and the cross-roads was now working to protect him... "I've just come out here to collect firewood for the kitchen..." He lifted his arms a little, even though he knew he held the unconscious figure, when he looked down, he saw nothing but a stack of firewood. Damon bowed his head a little, "By your leave, I'll just be taking this inside with me..."

The man's eyes narrow unfooled but knows there's nothing he can do. For now. "Very well. I shall leave but know that should that man appear within bounds, he WILL be mine. After all, one of his kind can't hide forever." Smirking he turns on his heel and strides to his company. They part for him then hide him from side as they pool back together to follow him back into the woods. Once out of sight the man growls and smacks his fist against a tree causing it to shake. "Damn him. He must have known that place was a sanctuary all along." After a few moments he takes a deep breath and a twisted smile appears as a dark look forms upon his face. "That's alright though. Someday he'll have to leave there and then... THEN he will be mine." Laughing he heads further into the wood with his party following him, some of whom exchanged concerned or worried looks.

Yuzuki's wounds are starting to heal, but slowly as if his body is struggling to take care of even the minor wounds. To say nothing of the deeper gashes or the arrow wound. While not gifted with spectacular healing abilities, as a Fae in general his ability to self-heal is far superior to a human's ability, so by now the small superficial wounds should be gone and yet they are not.

Damon carried the unconscious stranger inside, the door closing behind him, and the glamour lifting to reveal his form once more. Sanctuary was an ancient magic, and no one could remember how it worked anymore, but it certainly seemed sentient at times, working to protect those who claimed it in any way possible. "Hey Steph, you'll need to prepare a room, we have a guest" he called out, already carrying the stranger towards the rooms. Damon couldn't hear any movement so he called out louder, "STEPHEN!"

A few moments later Stephen appeared, and looked at Damon and the stranger he was carrying in surprise? "Oh? Oh my, let me fix the end room up for him" and quickly hurried past Damon towards the room in question. Damon followed him, waiting patiently for Stephen to make up the bed before lying the stranger down. "He ah, will probably be staying for a while, you won't need to worry about looking after him, I'll do that" Damon said, rubbing the back of his head. Stephen smiled, "Is ok Damon, I'll help, you don't need to worry about it" Damon frowned slightly, but reluctantly agreed. He was sure that Stephen wouldn't find out about the stranger really was, or what he really was for that matter... Steph was a "normal" human, even though his dark red hair meant he had fae blood in him, but the man claimed he couldn't see the house brownies that kept the inn clean, even though he repeatedly put milk out for the "cat". Who did he think baked the bread every morning!?

Damon chewed his lip for a moment, "We have to open up soon, and you'll need to go and serve. I'll be down as soon as i've patched this guy up." Stephen smiled, "it will be fine, no one will be here yet... " there was a banging at the doors and the smile faded slightly, "You jinxed me!" he accused half heartedly, as he went to answer the door.

Stephen quickly made his way to the common-room to answer the door. He knew the stranger that Damon had brought in was different, the same way he knew Damon was different. The inn had been passed down in his family ever since anyone could remember. He knew the stories of old about places at cross-roads and the sanctuary they offered weary travellers. He'd felt the swell of ancient magic, and knew the stranger had claimed it. For him, it was much easier to "pretend" that he didn't notice the differences that represented the Fae. Damon occasionally quizzed him about it, but he maintained that he couldn't see anything, couldn't hear anything, and that anything strange was just "coincidence" though he wasn't sure how much longer he could pass off the mornings fresh bread as mere "coincidence"...

Stephen opened up the doors to the inn, "Welcome" he called out, "What can I do for you?"

Right as Stephen's back turned the last bit of energy seems to fall from the unconscious man as his real form is revealed. At least three times as long as the man's upper body a long snake tail appears. The back scales are a pale white that seem to shimmer with hints of silver and small rainbows while the belly scales were slightly darker and seemed to share hints of the green-gold of his eyes. His nails were slightly longer and pointed and his features a bit more sharp in addition to his ears going almost as pointed as an elves'. Finally his skin shimmered in the growing light like white-gold contained in flesh form.

Despite now being in his more natural form, the arrow is still sticking through his tail right where he'd be pressed on the ground for movement or evening just standing still. The only difference now though is that the arrow is not clean through like it was with his human leg. The commotion causes him to shift slightly but not enough to wake him quite yet though it seems like he's at least resting more peacefully since he's in a safe place and no longer hunted.

After a few hours, making it close to lunch time in the inn, Yuzuki stirs and finally wakes up. Slowly his eyes open before carefully easing himself up to look around his surroundings. With a faint smile he realizes he's made it to the sanctuary and was accepted into the safe haven. His smile falters slightly as he takes note of the wounds he's received to obtain sanctuary but shakes it off causing his silver hair to fly around him. "It is enough that I made it. I should see if I can find who helped me and took me in." Shifting he moves to get off the bed, his scales rustling along the fabric.

Damon listened carefully as Stephen left the room to go downstairs to start the day's trading. His eyes were on the unconscious stranger, watching was legs shimmered into scales. Damon pinched the bridge of his nose in irritation, What's a Naga doing here? he thought to himself. He didn't have a problem with the species in general, but they were reclusive, and one didn't come across them all that often. For a Naga to have made it this far, and being chased no less... Damon sighed to himself, and busied himself with the task of patching up the various wounds, and removing the arrow. He chewed his lip as he worked; deep in thought. He wasn't sure how Stephen would handle this. It was easy enough to not see house Fae, they were small and generally kept themselves hidden, but the greater Fae was a different story. Damon felt slightly uneasy, he was greater Fae, and at times felt slightly guilty for keeping his true form hidden from Stephen. To Stephen he was just... an ordinary human with a less than ordinary interest in the Fae... but the two of them had been companions ever since they were boys; wouldn't it be a betrayal to reveal who he was now? Damon shook his head, clearing his thoughts, perhaps one day, when the time was right... Damon hurried back down the stairs when he was done with the Naga, giving Stephen a reassuring smile as he headed into the kitchen to start preparing food for the day.

Stephen was already busy in the common room, making guests feel at ease and welcome. Though it was still early, people would come from early in the morning, and even all through the night at times. That was how the inn was run, it was always "open". The common area seemed like it was split into two areas, although there weren't any lines or dividers. One half the the bar was stocked full of different coloured bottles with no labels and a heavy oak box resided on the counter in front of them. The other side was stocked with standard inn fare - bottles of wine and kegs of beer. Some patrons preferred to stick to one side or the other, with few mingling on both sides as it were.

As the day progressed, the common-room slowly filled up with travellers, merchants, farmers and the like, the "guest" upstairs momentarily forgotten.

The Naga tilts his head hearing the bustle as he gets to the door. Narrowing his eyes slightly in concentration he takes a deep breath and holds it for a moment before letting it out softly. Taking note of the humans he slides back from the door a bit before his tail shimmers and fades back into human legs. He glares at them for a moment, taking notice of his wrapped wound, before making loose pants appear with a slightly form-fitting top. Nodding satisfied with his appearance for the moment he smooths back his hair into a low ponytail as he steps out the door.

Pausing outside the door, Yuzuki takes note of where the most noise is coming from along with the smell of food. Turning he heads in that direction of the smell. There's a slight limp to his step but otherwise he seems to be ignoring the injury for the most part. When he comes into the common room he comes to a startled stop at the amount of people in the room. Mostly human like he'd thought but he knows there's small fae here as is common in human dwellings, but he also senses another strong fae like himself. With a faint frown he goes in search of where he can hopefully get some food to eat before too much longer. It's been close to a week since he's last had a decent meal.

Stephen was returning to behind the bar when he spied the stranger that Damon and he had brought inside and patched up. If he's up and about now, he must be feeling better, and he's probably hungry now he thought to himself. He hurried over to the man, "Hey, do you really think he should be down here? I can always arrange to have something brought up to your room if you're hungry" he offered. "But if you don't want to stay in your room, there's a small table by the window over there," he said, pointing to the other side of the common room where things were a little quieter, "I'll get Damon to bring you something in a moment."

He left the stranger to make up his own mind as he went into the kitchen. The man would either be sitting there or not when he came back out. "Hey Damon, our guest is up and about, and probably starving. Do you want me to leave it to you?" Damon was busy preparing food for the lunchtime rush. "Uh, sure, there's still some fresh bread and there's a round of cheese in the cold box that should be fine to snack on, oh, and don't forget to put some fruit on the plate!" Damon moved like a whirlwind around the kitchen, piling up everything he'd mentioned onto a wooden serving board. "I'll let you take it out Steph, I'm still a bit busy here. If he says anything, just tell him he can have something "proper" after lunch is finished."

Stephen picked up the wooden serving board, now laden with bread, cheese and fruit and exited the kitchen, leaving Damon in a flurry of steam and cooking smells.

Yuzuki blinks at Damon for a bit recognizing him as the fae he sensed but merely watches him as he walks away. After a few moments, thinking at first that sitting amongst others would be nice, he starts for the table Damon had mentioned. Before long he realizes that he's drawing attention causing him to tense slightly before turning to head back up to the room he'd just left. "I should have known better. How foolish, thinking I could be around a crowd of any sort beside my own people and be left in peace." He hisses to himself feeling his face go from relax and uninterested into a cold unreadable mask.

Upon reaching his room and needing to calm down, Yuzuki settles on lounging in the small window seat to bask in the sun that's pouring into the room. Resting his forehead against the glass his eyes slide closed as he feels his muscles relaxing under the warming and calming effect of the sun's heat. While hungry, the sun gives him a peace that food couldn't at the moment. Letting himself sinking into an almost meditative-like state Yuzuki doesn't notice Stephen coming right away.

Stephen looked around the common room. He couldn't see their new guest sitting anywhere noticeable. He must have gone back upstairs he thought to himself as he slowly climbed the stairs to the guest rooms. He knocked softly on the door and waited a few moment. He must be asleep he thought to himself, I'll just leave the food there just in case. Stephen quietly opened the door. The stranger was sitting next to the window, leaning his head against the glass. It didn't really look like he was asleep, rather he looked like he was basking in the sun. Stephen cleared his throat awkwardly, not really wanting to disturb the peaceful looking meditation.

He put the food down onto the small table that was in the room, and took the jug that was sitting on it, "I'll just go fill this up and I'll be back" he said softly, not really talking to the stranger in particular, but from habit of having to voice his intentions inside the inn to avoid "conflict" with the house Fae he wasn't supposed to be able to see..

Yuzuki blinks turning slightly so he can look at Stephen. Leaning against the window still he looks Stephen over slowly. For a human he wasn't bad, infact, there was a certain appeal to him. When Stephen grabs the jug saying he'll fill it, Yuzuki nods to show he understands though knowing the statement wasn't for him exactly. Still, most humans would respond to something said right? His eyes stray to Stephen's hair finding the color appealing, and finds himself watching it as the man leaves the room. Realizing he's staring he does a quick small shake before standing up to move a little.

Wandering over to the plate he looks down at it to study what's on it. Reaching out he picks up a piece of fruit to raise to his lips to nibble on while going back over to the window while waiting on the human to bring him some water. Absently licking his fingers clean of juice he thinks about what he's going to do now. Even once he pays his sanctuary price it's not like he can stay here forever or until the man hunting him dies. That would be too suspicious and attract more attention than he needs right now. Sighing Yuzuki goes back over to the plate to get some more of the food.

Stephen walked down to where the bathroom was. It wasn't much of a bathroom as far as inn's went, but there was a bath inside that was big enough to soak in. The well was just outside the bathroom window, and as such, he and Damon had rigged a pulley system that meant that they could draw water directly from the well, without having to go outside... if what you wanted was cold water that is. To get hot water, you still needed to warm the water in the kitchen and bring it up by hand, but for the guests that usually stayed in the inn, cold water was often enough. Stephen quickly pulled up the bucket from the well, and poured the cold, clear liquid into the water jug. He idly thought about the stranger as he did so; he and Damon hadn't really had a chance to sit down and talk about what had happened earlier that morning...

He made his way back to the room, knocking quietly again before opening the door. "Uh, Damon said to tell you that if the fruit and cheese isn't enough, he'd make you something "proper" after the lunch rush is over..." Stephen gave an easy smile, pushing back the dark red hair that had fallen across his face. "I can't stay up here for too long, there's still a few customers that need serving..." He put the jug down on the table and turned to leave, "If you're lonely, you're more than welcome to come back down to the common room again, I'm sure the other guests aren't going to mind. We're a... different sort of establishment" he said with a faint smile. "Anyway, I'll let Damon know that you're up and about, and he'll come and see you when he's done." Stephen gave a little wave has he walked back out of the room, and returned to the common room, sticking his head in the kitchen as he went past.

"That guy seems to be up and about and eating, so I told him that you'd go and see him when the lunch rush was over" Damon scowled at Stephen, "If you've got time for chit chat, take this out to the guy by the window" he said, shoving a plate of food at Stephen, who laughed as he took the food out. Lunchtime was always busy at the inn, but soon enough it would be over, and then they could get their breaths back before it started all over again for dinner.

Yuzuki watches Stephen for a moment before offering a small smile and nod of his head. "Thank you... For the food as well as the offer. I shall keep it in mind should I desire a change of scenery." The smile fades once Stephen is gone and for some reason Yuzuki finds himself wanting to go back down to the common room just to see the red-head again. Shaking his head Yuzuki frowns feeling agitated with himself. "Ridiculous. Why should I, a Naga, feel anything for a human? It's not as if I'd be welcomed here regardless." He sighs taking the plate of fruit and cheese along with a glass of the water over to the window to eat and thinks of the time when his kind had been worshiped and desired by humans before the change started to happen and his kind became recluse, even by Fae standards.

After a little while he notices his plate is empty and deciding that staying in his room is not going to help matters, gets up to take the plate down to return it. Glancing around he looks for any of the Brownies that are helping to run this place as he makes his way to where the lunch rush sounds to have calmed down. Pausing before entering the room he takes note that it is indeed emptier than before to which he nods his approval. Striding into the room he goes over to where he sees a door that appears to go back into the kitchen. Looking around he tries to see if Stephen is in the room, but not seeing him goes over to the door. Pausing for a moment he hesitantly raises his hand to knock on the door before opening it. "Excuse me, I just came to return the plate." He calls out peering into the room.

Stephen had cleared the remaining plates from the common room, and was now in the kitchen doing the dishes whilst Damon was resting. "We had a good turn out today," Stephen commented as he scrubbed the plates, "That beef stew you do is always popular with the working folk... and your nut salad, that seems to be a hit with the..." he cleared his throat slightly, ".. the other folk." Damon raised an eyebrow at the comment, "What do you mean by "other" folk? Hmmm?" Stephen laughed a little nervously, you can't help but notice where everyone sits... people seem to sit on one side, and... the "other" folk sit on the other side..." Damon gave a small chuckle, he couldn't argue with Stephen in regards to that, there just seemed to be a natural segregation between the Fae and the humans. "So you notice that the "other" folk are different eh?" he said teasingly. Stephen stuck his tongue out at Damon and flung some suds in his direction, "I can't help it if it seems that I serve salad over to one side of the room, and stew to the other! What am I supposed to think when something like that happens? That salad-lovers seem to only like sitting on one side of the room?!" Stephen dried his hands on the towel around his waist, he looked over to Damon, and spied a small dousing of suds balancing precariously on the end of his nose. He walked over and gently wiped them away, the two of them lost in some small and undefinable moment.

Stephen jumped as the door open and the stranger stepped into the room, "Oh! you're up again!" he said, as he hurried over and took the plate from him, his face tinged slightly red. Stephen wasn't sure what it was about Damon that made him feel... slightly bothered. He took the plate back over to the sink and washed it, setting it to dry with the others. Damon pushed himself off the side of the bench, "Did you want to eat something more? Perhaps something a little more... fitting?" he asked, "If you want something extra to eat or drink, just let me know and I'll bring it out for you..." Damon was only slightly annoyed... he enjoyed his little "moments" with Stephen, ever since he first laid eyes on a little red-headed boy. One of these days he'd tell Stephen the "truth" about things... Damon gave a smile to the stranger, "We'll be happy to sit down and have a nice big discussion on what it is that we're going to do with you..."

Yuzuki looks between the two men knowing he's interrupted something and yet can't find it in himself to be sorry about interrupting whatever had been going on. With one last look between the two he faces Stephen with a fairly emotionless face. That's not to say he looked cold or arrogant, more of it was a look of polite disinterest one gets when ignoring something that isn't any of their business and they know it. "I haven't had a decent meal in some time, if it wouldn't be too much trouble I would appreciate just a little something more to hold me over until the next meal. I don't want to make you go out of your way however." He says slowly as if still adjusting to talking to another person or having to focus on certain words to make sure they come out sounding more human-like instead of having an odd stress mark or syllable.

Hearing Damon address him a flicker of understanding and acceptance of what he really means appears in his eyes before fading. He nods in acknowledgement of the other's words knowing it was overdue. "I understand and apologize for any trouble I've put you two through by my coming here unexpectedly." He shifts slightly revealing his discomfort with his current situation and having to rely on others. Almost abruptly he straightens and tilts his head slightly. "I'll just sit out there if that is agreeable until you are available to discuss my situation. If not just let me know when would work better for you as you have the greater pressing need." Tilting his head once more he leaves the kitchen to go find a quiet spot to sit while he waits.

• 2 weeks later...

Damon waited until the stranger had left the kitchen before he pushed himself from the bench and started going through the cupboards, arranging the items on another platter. Stephen didn't recognise some of the ingredients, but then again, he didn't recognise some of the things on the regular menu either.

"You might want to sit this one out Steph..." Damon wasn't sure if he wanted Stephen to know all the gorey details just yet. The stranger was Fae, as was Damon himself, and Stephen claimed not to notice anything out of the ordinary; even if he did notice, the stranger and Damon weren't ordinary Fae to begin with. Damon placed his hand on Stephans shoulder, squeezing it gently, "in fact, I'd really appreciate it, if you could go outside, don't worry though, it won't take long..."

Stephen bit his lip; an unconscious gesture of indecision from childhood and nodded slowly. He was a little curious, but he'd grown up with Damon and trusted him implicitly. "Just... come and get me when you're done?" Damons hand on his shoulder was warm and comforting, and just a little pleasant... in fact, a lot of the gestures that the two had used ever since they could remember, had slowly begun to mean something a little... more....

As Stephen went outside through the kitchen, Damon carried the platter out to the common room, placing it in front of the stranger as he sat down opposite him. The room was empty except for the two of them. As Damon picked up a tidbit from the plate and popped it in his mouth, he raised an eyebrow at him. "So," he said, chewing slowly, " Where would you like to start?"

Yuzuki looks for Stephen, only slightly surprised that he isn't with Damon, before focusing on the other with a humorless smile. "Do you mean in explaining why I am here or what you need to tell me about my staying here under the safety of sanctuary as well as the rules for this place outside of those laws?" He takes a piece from the plate to eat slowly while watching the other with a measuring look but also a bit resigned in regards to the rules of sanctuary at the very least. Including the payment for his having asked sanctuary, of which is his foremost concern at the moment. After a moment he refocuses on Damon. "But I think the first thing to be answered, outside of my payment, is does he know?" He asks in regards to Stephen feeling he knows the answer going to be given to him but wonders if it'll be the actual truth.

Damon chewed for another moment and then swallowed. "In all seriousness, it's hard to know what Steph actually does know. However, he doesn't know about the likes of me and he certainly doesn't know about the likes of you. The best he'll come up with is that we're "different" but he won't actually know why . I've known him for a very long time and not once has he let slip that he knows any different."

Damon reached for another morsel, "However, I know exactly what you are, even if you don't know who or what I am. In regards to claiming sanctuary, that's between you and the crossroads. I can't help you with that, though I do feel somewhat responsible; it was pretty much the only way I could save you. So then the last thing really remaining is what a Naga is doing out in the open considering last time anyone saw one was more than a few hundred years ago..."

Yuzuki slowly nods. "I have the feeling he knows a lot more than he lets on. That is just me however and I could be wrong." He gives a shrug with his hand spread before him in a pacifying gesture should his comment cause offense. He nods accepting the part of the crossroads. "I see... Is there a way to go about settling my debt with the crossroads? Nagas have been gone a very long time and while we have tails of the safety they can bring, the actual way of them has all but faded from our memory."

He sighs while also taking another piece of food and slowly eats it. "I understand and thank you for it even as that may be. I have been avoiding capture by that man for close to half a year now." He goes quiet as he thinks about the reason for his leaving the safety of his people. "As you may have noticed, even for one of our kind including the Nagas, my colouring is a bit... unique. Even without that aspect influencing my decision, I felt we were far too isolated and it was time we started to reconnected with at least other fae. So I left to see the state of things and then I was to either go back and give my verdict or if I don't go back I am to be presumed dead and that the world is not yet at a state where we can safely merge back in with it."

Damons lips twitched into a momentary smile at the Nagas comments. "It seems that the Fae have more in common with humans than what some of us care to admit. It would be rather nice if we could all just get along like we're supposed to... but old hatreds seem to run deep for no conceivable reason." Damon let out a small sigh; this was no different from the teasing and bullying that Stephen had suffered as a child... the old superstition that red hair meant you were close to the Fae was still prevalent.

"Well, whilst you're here, there is no reason why you can't help out until you settle your debt with the crossroads. You'll find you can't use your own magic, however, the croasroads will protect you from those who hunt you. Is best not to question the "how" but to just go along with it." Damon popped a few more bites of food into his mouth and chewed thoughtfully. "If you have any questions, now would be the time to ask them, you may not have a chance to get me alone like this..."

X-----X-----X-----X-----X

Stephen was in the stables checking on the various animals. He always felt a bit odd when Damon excluded him from things... He knew it had to do with the differences he noticed. It was more than just being able to see the little people in the kitchen, or the travellers that came in... His parents had run the inn, and before that his grandparents and so on... It came with a list of "instructions" on how to keep everything running smoothly; including leaving milk out for the "cat"...

His red hair had marked him as different from the very beginning, the other children being cruel and mistrustful thanks to the goading of their parents, his early childhood was spent alone... until he met Damon. Damon hadn't cared that his hair was red or that he sometimes saw strange things, and so Damon had become his one and only friend.

Steph chewed his lip as he patted one of the ponies. Who was the stranger that Damon had found? He hoped that he wasn't going to bring any trouble...

"Old hatred and old superstitions." Yuzuki sighs taking a drink before looking at the other. "I suppose the only real question left is what should happen if I don't leave?" The unspoken words being because I can't hang in the air. While he's sure the one hunting him won't poke too much at such old and powerful magic, it was best to know what would happen if he has to out wait, and thus outlive, his hunter. That's not his plan, however, as once he's fully healed and his debts settled he plans on finishing that bit of business so that he can continue with his own personal mission of getting the Naga race back into the fae world. The human world wouldn't be ready for them again for a long, long time.

x-----x-----x-----x-----x

With narrowed eyes and an angry stance, a shadowed figure glares at the building that's holding his prize within its grasp while denying him entry. Even though it's an old and powerful magic, he is determined to find a way past it to claim what is his. For causing him all this trouble that creature will be punished, not killed though. Oh no, its beauty was in its colouring yes, but also that defiant and lively glare it gave him whenever cornered and injured. Smiling and chuckling to himself the figure turns to walk away. "Soon, oh so very soon..."