Even If Death Do Us Apart (Arawn) 1x1

tuti

Adair rolled his eyes playfully at Mike seeming to be elsewhere, but he smiled. "Great!" he said happily as he finished the ice cream, looking over at Mike and smiling happily. "What do you want? I can make just about anything that you want," he added, working on eating the cone now.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tuti

• Arawn_Bheur

Mike chuckled loving Adair's excitement, how he loved to be the caused of Adair's happiness, always. "Hmm you know I am not really picky when it comes to food so I'll eat anything you prepare." He said with a smile, there was no way he wouldn't eat something Adair cooked for him, so there was no point and choosing something in particular. "When are your parents coming back anyways?" He asked as he finished his ice-cream cone.

"Ugh...you're no help," Adair groaned playfully as he smiled at his friend. He could never be truly upset with Mike. "They come back next week," he answered the question with a smile before lightly removing a bit of ice cream from the corner of Mike's mouth. "Always so messy," he teased.

Mike's face turned into a deep shade of red and he couldn't help feel embarrassed; he was always like this, making a mess of himself. Yet, he wasn't going to push Adair hand away. It was small moments like these that he cherished the most and because of them he could never confess his feelings for the other boy. He couldn't lose these precious gestures of kindness, the wonderful feeling of Adair's light touches on his skin. Mike was sure that the moment his feelings for Adair are revealed he wouldn't be able to be next to the other anymore, and that was something he didn't want to happen.

"Well success me for always been a mess." He tried to sound angry but was unable to stop a giggle. "I've always been a mess and a burden to you, huh?" He asked looking down as he began to pull off the grass next to his feet. "Always running to you when arguing with my father, always running to you when bullied by the other boys...How come you never got tired of me?"

Adair smiled softly at the giggle before he frowned as Mike continued talking, wondering where this was coming from. He didn't think he had done anything to suggest the words because he didn't feel that way about Mike. His friend wasn't a burden to him though he knew others felt that way.

"You're not a burden," he said as he watched Mike pull at the grass. "There's nothing to tire of, Mike....What brought this up?" he added, gently making Mike look at him.

The gentleness in Adair’s voice and the look on his face was to much for Mike to handle. Suddenly his chest felt extremly heavy, as if the could no longer bare the feelings he had been hiding all these years. He had to tell the other how he felt, he could no longer go on like this.

“Adair, I have something to tell you.” He said his voice trembling. “I- I...I don’t know how to tell my dad about me quitting college and becoming a pastry chef.” He chickened out...

Adair blinked slightly at the first portion of Mike's decided confession, hoping that it was what he had always wanted to hear but then his heart fell as Mike continued on. He kept the feeling of disappointment from his face. He had gotten his hopes up and then they fell short.

"Just be frank with him," he said with a soft smile at Mike. "He's not the type who wants to be told indirectly. You're going to have to tell him quickly and honestly, and be firm but not mean about it."

Mike smiled and nodded, Adair always knew what to say to him. "Ah!" Mike sighed as he stood up and stretched his body. "Shall we go? I'm really hungry...that ice-cream didn't help much." He said with a chucked as he rubbed his bottomless stomach.

Adair laughed softly and he stood, brushing off his clothes before he led Mike back to the car. It started just fine this time, which made him happy, and he drove back to his place. He already had the items necessary to make dinner for Mike.

"I have snacks to hold you over until dinner's ready," he said with a smile as he lead his best friend inside. "But I'm making some nice chicken with a few side dishes so don't eat up too much," he teased playfully as he took off his shoes before walking into the kitchen to look for everything.

"Hmm! That sounds delicious!" Mike said as he followed Adair inside. "I'm going to use your phone, kay? I better tell my mom I'm not going home for dinner." The smaller male said and walked to the living room where he used to phone to call his mother. His mother told him that Adair should join them instead of the two of them eating dinner alone. But Mike didn't want to have that; this was the perfect moment for the two of them to be alone. He placed the phone down and walked back into the kitchen. "Ah! I got an idea!" Mike said as he sat down. "What if we build a restaurant. You'd cook the delicious food and I'll make the desserts." He said leaning his chin on his hand. It sounded like a joke but for him it wasn't...

Adair smiled as he rolled the thawed chicken in grapeseed oil and then spread fresh rosemary across it. "Nah...I'm not a very good cook," he said with a soft laugh as he placed the chicken in the oven and went to wash his hands. "I'd be more than happy to provide eye candy," he teased, still laughing softly.

He eyed a tray of sweets on the table and then quickly snatched one. "Ah forget it, it would be troublesome to deal with your fans all day." Mike started as he unwrapped the candy and popped it into his mouth, continuing the chat with the piece of candy in his cheek. "And you are a great cook, otherwise I wouldn't be eating your food." He said before rolling the candy around in his mouth a bit so he could suck on it.

Adair laughed softly as he shook his head, now working on a small dish of parmesean zucchini. "You're sweet," he said with a smile over at Mike. He didn't believe he was a great cook, or even a good one. He much preferred it when someone else cooked, particularly when Mike indulged him and made something sweet. He knew Mike could make it as a pastry chef and he hoped that Mike would take that route.

Mike looked away, his face hot and blushing thanks to the compliment. He wasn't trying to be sweet, he really meant his words. It would have been a wonderful life if the two of them moved together and started a restaurant...but he knew that would never happen. Adair would soon find himself a sweet and beautiful girl, marry her and live a happy life with her; while he moved to the background and pretended to be happy for them. "How long for the food to be ready?" He asked mentally scolding himself for having such depressing thoughts.

"About twenty minutes," Adair answered with a smile as he finished everything and put it in to bake. He grabbed himself a drink from the fridge and he grabbed one for Mike as well. He handed the drink to Mike as he sat down to pop open his and sip it. "I hope you like it."

Mike smiled as he thanked Adair for the drink and chuckled. "Then you better cook it right!" He joked knowing that he would enjoy it even if it didn't taste good.

---

"Should we go out and watch a movie tomorrow night?" Mike asked as he stepped outside Adair's house. The food Adair cooked was delicious and they had had a great time talking about everything and nothing. Mike really didn't want to go home but it was already pretty late and he didn't want to appear too clingy to Adair.

Adair smiled at the question. "Of course," he said with a smile at Mike. He was looking forward to spending more time with his friend alone. "We'll leave at 6 to get there. Possibly get some dinner if we're too early." He smiled softly before bidding Mike good night, unable to prolong it and he slipped inside, shutting and locking the door to take a deep breath to settle himself down.

___

The had problems starting, but it was soon running smoothly. That wasn't what was going to ruin that night, that wasn't what was going to ruin a friendship that could have been something more. The bus ran the stop light and there was the sound of squealing tires, crunching metal, and screams.

Light flared and a soft warmth slipped through Adair, numbing the spark of pain that had flared. He was nowhere and everywhere. The light was comforting, but it was soon slipping away from him and sounds were coming back. Sounds of pain, the sounds of ambulances. He didn't know why until the images came with the sounds. There was a wreck in front of him. He knew that car. It was his, but it couldn't be because he was standing right there...and Mike...Mike wasn't there. Where was he?

His heart started to race when he couldn't find Mike. Mike couldn't be in the car, he couldn't be. He ran towards the wreck, not pausing to wonder why he was allowed to grow so close to it, why no one noticed him. Please don't like Mike be there.

The most wonderful yet equally frustrating weekend was almost over. When Mike thought about all the time he had spent with Adair without hinting at his affections for the other boy even once it made him want to hurt himself. Why did he have to be such a coward? It was a short drive really to the theater really, barely across town. He looked at Adair driving and smiled softly; the thought of going back to campus and not seeing him very often was unbearable.

He couldn't understand why but a sudden feeling of desperation erupted from deep inside of him, an urge to finally confess his love for the other...

CRASH!

A huge bus rammed right into the left side of the car, crushing the driver's seat completely on impact. For a brief moment Mike was suspended in unimaginable pain as he hit his head against the window breaking it. He opened his mouth to scream... and then there was nothing. Only darkness.

The paramedics rushed and took Mike out of the damaged beyond recognition car since he was still alive; there was nothing they could for the driver..."His head is bleeding, but he'll recover soon." One of the paramedics said as he inspected Mike's head and body and the ambulance rushed to the hospital with Mike.

------

It was around 10 pm when Michael finally opened up his eyes. He was a little bit confused and lost at first but the sharp pain in his head reminded him of the accident. "Adair!" He asked desperately for the other boy's condition. "Mike..." His mother called for him with a soft voice and her red eyes told Mike that something was not right. "Mom, what's wrong?" He asked his voice filled with worry.

"Son." His father was the one to speak this time. "You and Adair had an awful accident a few hours ago." The moment his father said that, Michael felt his heart stop and the blood to stop running through his veins. "How is he? What are we still doing here? Take me to his room!" He demanded as he rushed to put his shoes on but his father placed a hand on his shoulder stopping him. "Mike, he...Adair died. He was already dead when the ambulance arrived." His father said softly and the room was filled with cold silence.

Then the silence was suddenly broken by Mike's laughter. Both mr. and mrs. Freeman looked at each other not understanding Mike's reaction. He was laughing as if his father had just told him a joke. He laughed and laughed non-stop but gradually his laughter began to sound more like a scream; a cry of pain. "Son, calm down."

His father tried to soothe him but it was hopeless. He cried Adair's name and shook uncontrollably. So much was the pain he was feeling that his brain couldn't take it anymore and everything turned black as he fainted.

Adair watched Mike wake up from where he was sitting. He had been in the ambulance when Mike had been brought in. He had seen his own damaged body and he had quietly accepted that as fact. There was nothing else to it. Everything that had happened...there was no way this was a dream though he wished it once as he watched the love of his life cry at finding out about his death. His heart broke for Mike and he wanted to tell him it would be all right, but no one saw him there and no one could hear him.

He watched Mike finally pass out, grateful for it. The student needed to rest, to get well. He stood and walked over to the hospital bed, eyes surveying Mike's parents before slipping to Mike's face. He gently slipped a hand to Mike's face, tears silently falling because he couldn't feel him, he couldn't tell him it was all right. That it was going to be all right. He stepped away after a minute and sat down to keep a watch on Mike. He wasn't going to leave him ever.

It's been three days since the tragic death of Adair and yesterday was the funeral but for Mike; the world had just stopped spinning. He hadn't left his room nor eaten for the past three days, the only thing he did was just lie in bed under his blankets and cry his soul out.

His behavior was starting to worry his father. "Don't you think that the way he is taking all this is a little bit strange." Mr. Freeman said to his wife as they ate dinner. "What are you saying?! Of course is normal, they've been friends ever since they were little kids. Of course he would be devastated after hearing his best friend passed away." Mrs. Freeman replied shocked at her husband comment.

"All I'm saying is that he should not let this get the best of him...he might end up doing something drastic..." He said the last part a whisper but his wife shook her head. "He wont I wont let that happen to him." She said.

But Mrs. Freeman was too late, Mike was already in a dark place far beyond her reach. Adair was dead and Mike will not be able to see his face again, talk to him...tell him how much he loved him. How could he go on with life in a world where Adair was not part of it? It was impossible, nothing made sense to Mike anymore. He just wanted to be with Adair, forever. In a trance-like state, he pulled the heavy blankets from his body and got off bed. Three days without eating had made him lose a considerate amount of weight and he looked very thin.

It was already past midnight so his parents were already asleep as he got out of the house and walked all the way in the cold late night towards the graveyard. If anyone saw him they would have mistaken him for a zombie since he looked like a lifeless empty shell with red tire eyes.

He soon found Adair's gravestone since it was still covered with many fresh flowers from yesterday. As he stood there in the cold night, tears he thought he no longer had began to softly roll down his cheeks.

"I hate you." He said between sobs in a hoarse voice. "Why did you had to die and leave me here alone you asshole!" He yelled. Losing strength in his legs, he fell to the ground on his knees as he sobbed even louder...the pain he was feeling was something he never experienced before.

"Why did you leave me?!" He said as he buried his face in his hands. "I love you so much, I always have....is not fair! Is not fair!".

Seeing his own funeral had been a mixture of emotions. His heart ached the most for Mike, but seeing his family there and seeing the tears on their faces doubled everything he felt...But who else could say that they had gotten to view their funeral like a guest? He had remained close to Mike throughout it, throughout everything. He had seen his friend fall further and further away and he was so scared that Mike would do something. He didn't want that, he wanted Mike to live and wanted him to find someone.

It was with a heavy heart that he followed Mike to the cemetery and he watched as Mike approached his head stone and the still fresh grave. It still seemed surreal to him, that he was buried there and yet he was still standing there. He watched Mike kneel and his heart seemed heavier as he heard the words, the words he had hoped to hear when he was living and when he could have spent his life with the man.

He knelt down beside Mike and he slipped an arm around him, willing himself to be felt. He had to be felt, he had to be heard. He couldn't just be a silent spectator anymore. Not now, not when he was needed. "I'm sorry, Mike," he said softly even though he knew he probably wasn't going to be heard. "I didn't want to leave you, I never did...I don't...I love you so much...Always have, always will..."

"...Is not fair." As Mike drowned himself in his own tears the wind suddenly picked up; making the trees shake from side to side violently. Even though it was already late summer - almost fall, this kind of strong wind was something unnatural. But even more strange than the strong wind was the sudden cold that embraced Mike's shaking body and then it happened....he heard it as clear as the blue sky in a summer day. ""I didn't want to leave you, I never did...I don't...I love you so much...Always have, always will...""

He heard the familiar voice said those words, furthermore, he could also feel as if someone was hugging him tightly. Comforting him. As if to confirm his suspicious and to make sure that it wasn't his tired mind playing tricks on him, Mike slowly looked up from his hand to the face of the boy he loved so much.

His heart stopped beaten for a second and he gasped for air like a fish out of the water. "A-Adair? Oh my God it is you!" He said with a mixture of surprise, confusion and happiness. Slowly he reached with a shaking hand to touch the other males face softly and then he threw himself against the other chest in a rushed embrace.

"You came back for me! Oh Adair, I love you!" He said as fresh tears began to roll down his face.

Adair blinked in surprise as Mike turned towards him and he smiled as he realized that he could be seen. He gently brushed away Mike's tears before holding him close, softly rubbing Mike's back, glad to be able to hold him again, glad that he could spend a few more minutes with him.

"I love you, too," he whispered softly, squeezing Mike gently and he softly kissed Mike on the cheek before holding him close once more. "I've always been here...I couldn't leave you..."

He held Mike, feeling the man's warmth, taking everything in. He was finally able to say everything he wanted to say, he was finally able to hold Mike and to be held back. He no longer had to worry that Mike wasn't going to like him back.

Mike leaned his cheek against Adair's palm holding the back of Adair's hand with his. The touch felt cold to the skin, but it wasn't unpleasant in the least. In fact, it calmed Mike and he really loved the way he was feeling.

"Oh Adair..." He said with a sad smile and sniffed. "I've always loved you too, but I was too afraid of rejection and you being disgusted by me that I never had the courage to actually tell you how I felt." He said chuckling at their own stupidity, how could they be so blind all these years?

"I didn't want you to hate me." He honestly said with a soft voice. He then moved his face to softly kiss Adair's palm before speaking again. "But everything is okay now....we are finally together and will always be, right?" He said with a happy smile yet eyes full of fresh salty tears.

Adair smiled a little sadly at the kiss on his palm and he softly kissed Mike on the forehead, brushing back Mike's hair. He didn't think he could be around for forever though he wanted to. Even if he did, he wouldn't always be seen or felt. He'd just be the silent follower, unable to interact with the man he loved. He closed his eyes against the tears that came at the thought. It hurt to think about it, but at the same time he never wanted to leave.

"I could never hate you," he whispered softly, brushing a thumb softly across Mike's cheek as he watched Mike before he sighed softly with sadness. "Mike...I'm not here...I can't stay visible, I can't stay audible...I can't be with you for the rest of your life no matter how much I want to...I won't be able to touch you, I won't be able to talk to you..." he added, voice breaking a little as the tears started to come.