How old is too old to be a yaoi/bl fangirl?

Yumikittychan

My 32nd birthday is in one week. As a random side note, I have a thirteen year old son.

As far as I see it so far, I am not yet nor will I ever be too old to enjoy good art and a good story regardless of its genre.

Its not Yaoi/BL, but at fifty years old my mother started to both watch and appreciate anime. "It's cartoons!" she used to argue...but now she admits that the animes I choose for her are appealing to the eye with plots that are both complex and well written and once you get passed the idea that "cartoons are for kids" (or 'comics are for kids' when speaking of manga) there is no valid argument against being a fan. (The same is actually true of both my mother and step-dad in relation to playing video games...which are also a 'kid' thing, but now something they enjoy doing both alone and together as a fun way to pass the time and decrease stress.)

The truth is, as young people we often swear that we will do what we love when we 'grow up.' And that we wont 'be like our parents' when we see them incapable of joy of in the "simple" things that we as young people enjoy and often enough they once enjoyed themselves. And yet, even while we say and do these things we are often already judging the rest of the world for being 'too old.'

Then....as "old" people....we get even worse about it. *grins*

So...I do what I love...and I love doing it. I will continue to do so as long as I continue to enjoy it and I am unswayed by the masses (young or old) who tell me I shouldn't.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheba562

• Shiroi ookami

• Bardock

• Ayakashiu

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
i would be happy to be adopted by you! :D you're the coolest~ ^^
you have a cool mother too *secretly jealous* mine still doesn't understand why i watch anime..she thinks i'm already too old for them onionn3

Age doesn't matter I guess.I say being a fan girl of yaoi for many years that i've been through a heck lot of trouble . (well,mostly 'cause i'm such a klutz and forgot to close the door and all),mind you I discovered yaoi when I was a still a child in my mother's womb... -_- haha okay,that was exaggerated a wee bit but the point is I was young *blushes* heh!

Now that i'm old enough..I still like yaoi but not so much..I kind of turn up to different things and hobbits...I'm afraid I am growing out on yaoi..let's just say i'm leveling up LoL :D

But it will still be eched in my memories...

I would also make it into a family hobby. Not yaoi but shojo manga. Going to pass it on to my nieces if they show interest.

I have recently started opening up about what I read to some family members. One mostly, a niece's mother. It reminded me so much of my niece that I just had to share. HMM....manga and anime are great form of fictional story telling. The industeries and everyone involved even a stories creator share a interesting medium of story telling. I respect alot of people and admire for opening their thoughts and stories with the world.

I would also make it into a family hobby. Not yaoi but shojo manga. Going to pass it on to my nieces if they show interest.

I have recently started opening up about what I read to some family members. One mostly, a niece's mother. It reminded me so much of my niece that I just had to share. HMM....manga and anime are great form of fictional story telling. The industeries and everyone involved even a stories creator share a interesting medium of story telling. I respect alot of people and admire for opening their thoughts and stories with the world.

That's really cool

• 6 months later...

Never too old to be a fan lol I'm 36 and not ashamed to say I love Yaoi! I am very open with everyone and you will find the otaku world is so much more understanding and supportive of each others interests :) Just do what you want and enjoy life.

• 3 weeks later...

One can never be too old honestly, although we all know how humanity can get all judgy and what not so I believe as you get older this kind of liking ( boys x boys

Not to be ashamed of it or anything but to avoid further explination that required .

I honestly don't think there's such a thing as an age limit to loving all things yaoi. Life's too short for that! XD Love what you love at any age I say.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you're never too old as well.

However what alexis said is also correct. We have a very judgemental society so it'll probably be better to keep it hush-hush. That is, until you find someone else who enjoys it as well. I tend to not speak of it to certain people, especially my family, as they are extremely conservative.

We are who we are, we like what we like. There's nothing wrong with it, we unfortunately live in such judgemental world, and the world can be an ugly place.

You're never too old to love yaoi.

I am a living proof of that, heck, I`m not even in my 20s anymore.

And yes, my interests shifted in years from BL with boys to men :p

And btw, there`s one writer who switched from writing fantasy to m/m romances in her 40s. So what the heck, who cares about age.

-tsks- Now, Toyatoya, it's not completely nonsensical. -smirks softly- Maybe TW was just worried that there were a bunch of kids lying about their ages on here. Every site has some, some more than others. At one point I, myself, had wondered the same question

Then I remembered I didn't give a shit about if people thought I was too old for this. The fact of the matter is this:

I don't cheat.

I don't steal.

I don't do drugs.

And I don't hurt people.

THIS is my thing.

I am a living proof of that, heck, I`m not even in my 20s anymore.

And yes, my interests shifted in years from BL with boys to men :p

And btw, there`s one writer who switched from writing fantasy to m/m romances in her 40s. So what the heck, who cares about age.

I've seen older people loving yaoi well into their 40s on another site. ^^ If I could say, I think it depends on people's preferences. I don't see myself stopping any time soon. ^^ (chuckles*)

I used to know someone who was a few years older than me. We had met online, and became friends IRL. She actually is the one who got me into this. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 22 this year and I know several people older than me who are still fangirl and fanboys that like yaoi as much as I do, it's pretty timeless tbh. Don't let anyone tell you different!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you can be too old to read BL/Yaoi. I'm in my late 30s and only discovered it within the last five years. There's a lot of people who are in their 40s and 50s in Japan who read BL and many have families.

• 1 month later...