Extremely Long Session Timeout.

levi

I'm just wondering why there is a very long 3-4 hours session timeout? It makes it really hard to know if someone is on the forum sometimes when in actuality they are not online anymore (sometimes for hours). It also makes the forum bloated with guests, most from search engines so then number keep piling until the session expires. I know the default for forums is usually 15 mins, which is a good time frame.

The only reason I can think of is that it will show very few members being online, but I think it's better that way, since I know who is actually online.

• Like 1

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Furuichi

• levi

• Key

• Miro

Top Posters In This Topic

It actually depends.. 15 mins can be pretty annoying for us who stay long here in the forum.. and to log in every time we go somewhere else will be pretty annoying (trust me I've been to some other forums too) but what I like about this forum is that you can see if the user is doing any activity or not.. well a good suggestion is if the user is idle for 15 mins or so.. the green that shows the online status of the user changes to something else..

it's just my suggestion..

• Like 7

Regarding the problem with staying logged in, it's best if you use the 'remember me' function if its your personal computer. If you don't log out, the chances of the next person who uses the computer can be logged into your account is higher, since the session does not expire for a few hours.

As for the status, from what I know there are only 3, online, invisible, and offline.

• Like 1

I think..

A person who doesn't have his/her computer should always have the initiative to log out.. It's a common rule :)

as for the status.. I was actually suggesting to put other things like "idle, away etc".

if your concern again is not knowing if the person is online anymore because of time out session.. you can check the last activity of the user

1zh1mk8.jpg

EDIT: I also forgot to tell that.. not all users uses a computer.. I know a lot of users here uses their phone and sometimes I use my phone as well.. and remember me option don't really work on my phone :)

• Like 6

I do not agree with levi! :7yoyo: I don't like when I stay for about 2 hours logged in to be disconnected every 15 minute!

It would be very annoying!

Plus, levi, every user had the option to log out it they don't do anything on the site!

• Like 5

Dear levi, as I am the administrator, I think I know the best how long the session timeout should be. There isn't such a thing as a perfect time frame for all forums. Each administrator should adapt the time frame to the needs of the users and to the type of the forum.

Here on this forum there are for example arcade games. If the session timeout would be 15 minutes and the game lasts more than that, the user will be logged out and won't be able to submit the score.

Also, there are users who spend more than 15 minutes on writing a post. Those persons won't be able to submit their post if they exceed the 15 minutes.

Furthermore, there are users who spend hours on the chat room. I don't think it's normal for them to be logged out every 15 minutes, while they are active on the chat room.

About the guests, don't worry, they are persons, not bots, because I blocked the bots in .htaccess.

Each user has the option to log out whenever they don't use the forum or if they don't use the personal computer.

I prefer letting a longer session timeout instead of getting my users angry by disconnecting them every 15 minutes.

Hope you understand,

All the best

• Like 16